Cancelling out shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelling out shields

Okay, the laws of physics dictate that any two or more waves of the exact frequency will cancel each other out. A shield is just a massive wave, pushing things away from it. Theoretically, couldn't an energy weapon, set to the correct frequency, cancel out the wave(s) the shield creates and hit what ever is being shielded?
    All of My Written Works
    Books I'm Reading:
    The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

Possible, but you would first have to have a way to learn what freq the shields are on. Plus sounds too star trekky (wrath of khan) for some.

Comment

yes you are right.

but three minor points, as the other pointed out you need to know the frequency at which the shields work,

At least in later Star trek, shield frequencies began to rotate to avoid just such a threat.

But the worst part in order to cancel out another wave you have to match it's power amplitude. Which means what ever weapon you fire at the shields needs to be as strong as those shield themselves. To date only seriously mis matched enemies can do that kind of thing.

Comment

couldn't you use this technique to create a hole in their shields with an energy weapon calibrated to the proper inverse frequency? a beam weapon wouldn't be hitting the entire shield, but against a small portion of it. the shield distributes the total output of the generator around the vessel, not concentrating it all in one point. so the cancelling beam wouldn't have to be as powerful as the total output of the shield, correct? once said hole in the shield is created, assuming any energy is left, it would continue on to impact against the target vessel's hull or you could fire soemthing else through it, be it more energy weapons, kinetic energy weapons, or some sort of missile, etc.
        That's the plan?!? That's the plan. That plan sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate_tech View Post
          Okay, the laws of physics dictate that any two or more waves of the exact frequency will cancel each other out. A shield is just a massive wave, pushing things away from it. Theoretically, couldn't an energy weapon, set to the correct frequency, cancel out the wave(s) the shield creates and hit what ever is being shielded?
          You're assuming far too many things.

Firstly you're assuming that shields operate using "waves", which typically means EM waves. Which they don't. They operate on principles not even present in current scientific theory. Secondly, you're assuming that the properties of their composition are an "open system"; that simply projecting something at the shield would cause it to destablise.

One of the fundamental properties of shields are that they are composed of elements which interact with each other to strengthen each other and create a boundary between the inner system and the outside environment, hence why it's a "shield bubble" and not just a "shield field".

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
            You're assuming far too many things.

Firstly you're assuming that shields operate using "waves", which typically means EM waves. Which they don't. They operate on principles not even present in current scientific theory. Secondly, you're assuming that the properties of their composition are an "open system"; that simply projecting something at the shield would cause it to destablise.

One of the fundamental properties of shields are that they are composed of elements which interact with each other to strengthen each other and create a boundary between the inner system and the outside environment, hence why it's a "shield bubble" and not just a "shield field".
            I always though of shields in terms of the Ori keller, one energy wave cancels the other out.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
              I always though of shields in terms of the Ori keller, one energy wave cancels the other out.
              'fraid not

Comment

The shields are just an anti-gravity field, a force field. so i don't see how an energy weapon would have a gravitational aspect to be able to cancel out the shields. The Photon Torpedos in star trek have a gravitational shield to them yes but not energy weapons on Stargate, thats a whole different weapon. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by firemaster View Post
                  The shields are just an anti-gravity field, a force field. so i don't see how an energy weapon would have a gravitational aspect to be able to cancel out the shields. The Photon Torpedos in star trek have a gravitational shield to them yes but not energy weapons on Stargate, thats a whole different weapon. lol.
                  When has it ever been said that they have a gravitational aspect to the sheilds in stargate? They have never said how the sheilds work, it's all speculation, welcome to gw btw
                  Best quotes ever:
                  O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                  Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                  Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                  Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                  Thor:I like the yellow ones
                  O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and well yes and no, they have never explained the shields however they have explained in detail the cloak. The cloak is apparently just a modification of the shields. The cloak is like a sudan cloak (without the radiation problem) simple drops you into another dimension but not like Merlins weapon. You can still be heard and things can hit you.

So you must presume from Heims theory (he designed the hyperspace drive and theorized sub-space btw) that ever a gravitational field or magnetic field is at work and the dimension is the force which is being used, that is for the cloak anyway and with this you can assess that which force is used, the shields use as well or at least an inverted version of this force.

Comment

Originally posted by firemaster View Post
                      Thanks for the welcome and well yes and no, they have never explained the shields however they have explained in detail the cloak. The cloak is apparently just a modification of the shields. The cloak is like a sudan cloak (without the radiation problem) simple drops you into another dimension but not like Merlins weapon. You can still be heard and things can hit you.

So you must presume from Heims theory (he designed the hyperspace drive and theorized sub-space btw) that ever a gravitational field or magnetic field is at work and the dimension is the force which is being used, that is for the cloak anyway and with this you can assess that which force is used, the shields use as well or at least an inverted version of this force.
                      Yeahhhhhh no.

It's NEVER been stated that the Lantean cloaking technology (or the Goa'uld cloaks) for that matter are ANYTHING like the Sodan cloaks. In fact, there are much stronger indications that they're NOTHING like the Sodan cloaks considering how when a person uses a Sodan cloak, the environment around them goes all discolored; this DOESN'T happen with any conventional cloaking device.

Comment

I am not stating that they are similiar i am stating that the concept is similiar. So far all Stargate science comes from Heim theory, otherwise tehy would not use a hyperspace drive. Heim theory donates that there are many dimensions with spacetime, there are 8 more. Each dimension is made up of a force (like spacetime is gravity). So i am saying that the shields and cloak would most probably use one of these forces and the cloak would be a modification to drop into one of these dimensions, obviously where everything in the electro-magnetic spectrum except light where it can enter the field however not exit it.

Comment

Any energy acts as particles or waves, and energy works as any force. Shields use force to keep weapons out of the protected vicinity.
                          Imagine, heaven forbid, two trains speeding at each other. If one is going faster than the other, it will push through the slower one. If they're going the exact same pace, then they will hit and not move past that point.
                          Shields don't use gravity.
                          They run off the energy you're using, and the strength is determined by how much energy you put into it, the more energy you put in, then the more energy that is converted into the shape of the shield.
                          All of My Written Works
                          Books I'm Reading:
                          The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
                          2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

Comment

Working...
                          X