X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Matter Converter

((Spoilers for "Unending"))

Spoiler:
    This just occured to me; Carter came up with the idea of turning the beaming tech into a matter converter after the Odyssey was stuck in the time dilation field. Which means, when everything was reset, she un-learned that particular piece of know-how. This means that, as of now, there is no such thing as an Asgard matter converter, because no one has attempted to use it as such yet.

Granted, it would be simple for someone to figure it out now, but since the need likely won't arise again soon in such dire circumstances, it's doubtful anyone will see the use of it for some time.

Thoughts?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Theyve got the specs for the asguard equivilant seen in the beginning of season 8 in their database. It did take carter several months of JUST working on that and a couple other projects that were just theoretical projections just to get it to work. So its prolly not easy, and it prolly wont show up any time soon or be wide spreadly used. (or be destroyed after its critically important use ala stargates usual twist :-D

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

Spoiler:
      This just occured to me; Carter came up with the idea of turning the beaming tech into a matter converter after the Odyssey was stuck in the time dilation field. Which means, when everything was reset, she un-learned that particular piece of know-how. This means that, as of now, there is no such thing as an Asgard matter converter, because no one has attempted to use it as such yet.

Granted, it would be simple for someone to figure it out now, but since the need likely won't arise again soon in such dire circumstances, it's doubtful anyone will see the use of it for some time.

Thoughts?
      i thought thor used a matter converter to make the weapon to fight replicators
      Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
        i thought thor used a matter converter to make the weapon to fight replicators
        Yes he did, but like someone said they (Sam) took months to figure out how to build the plans from the database.

So if it take months for a supergenius it will most likely take a year for several geniuses.

Comment

If they were smart she would have tried to explain it to Teal'c and he would explain it to her after the events in "Unending".

Even if he didn't understand or remember everything, he could have probably remembered the basics. He's smart like that.

Comment

Actually, if you watch Unending the principle of using the Asgard beam technology and the ZPM as a matter converter was figured out VERY quickly.

Also, in Ark of Truth...

Spoiler:
            they use the Asgard computer to build a spider-form Replicator from scratch using the beam technology in much the same way they produced food and water etc in Unending.

Basically, they explained it that you essentially just tell the Asgard core ROUGHLY what you want and it's aritifically intelligent enough that it can produce it with very little user interaction. Telling it you want it to produce say, 30 moles of a molecule with two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen, it would therefore produce a fair quantity pure water. The same would apply for anything else, presumably using either specifications contained within the core or by using the Asgard scanners to analyze the structure of an item for replication.

Comment

well making it was not the problem, it only took some "minor adjustments" which the asgard allowed. All tealc has to do is say that it is possible or jog her memory with the asgard and she is undoubtedly able to do it again.
              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I hate the Asgard Matter Converter more then any other tech in stargate, it is a cheap knock off of star trek replicator

I hope we never see it again ever
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                  I hate the Asgard Matter Converter more then any other tech in stargate, it is a cheap knock off of star trek replicator

I hope we never see it again ever
                  Wow, because the Replicator was such an ingenious invention when it was first introduced. Come off it, at least they actually offered an explaination as to how it works in Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                    Wow, because the Replicator was such an ingenious invention when it was first introduced. Come off it, at least they actually offered an explaination as to how it works in Stargate.
                    Its just that everyone thinks we are going to have millions of ships, ZPMs, Weapons and everything else because of this converter so that is why I hate it more then other tech from stargate also I am tired of Earth becoming this super super super power when we shouldn't be able to make Tollan Ion cannons yet
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post

Spoiler:

Thoughts?
                      Spoiler:
                      It's used in The Ark Of Truth

Comment

Teal'c might have had it on a crystal, so therefore taken it back with him, hat would be the best explanation, that or it took her a while to find it in the database, because thor hid it because it's a powerful peice f tech.
                        Best quotes ever:
                        O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                        Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                        Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                        Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                        Thor:I like the yellow ones
                        O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
                          Its just that everyone thinks we are going to have millions of ships, ZPMs, Weapons and everything else because of this converter so that is why I hate it more then other tech from stargate also I am tired of Earth becoming this super super super power when we shouldn't be able to make Tollan Ion cannons yet
                          actually most of us have accepted that there's to much energy involved when making a zpm. we'd probably deplete the ship's zpm before it was half way done. we still have to obey the laws of conservation of mass and energy after all. and stargate owns star trek shatner was a terrible actor.
                          Last edited by tombombadil; 15 February 2008, 08:57 AM.
                          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                            and stargate owns star trek shatner was a terrible actor.
                            But...
                            His toupees...
                            Were so...
                            MAGNIFICENT!

Comment

I agree it's too powerful a technology, unless the writers employ some limits:
                              1. It can't create anything that would make more energy that it took to create (that would violate the SG laws of physics anyway; ZPMs are essentially a mini-universe in a bottle. They contain their own artificial region of subspace time. The matter converter would have to create that region of subspace, including all the vacuum energy that it contains. The technology converts energy into matter (or another form of energy), it uses the amount of energy in the matter/energy it creates to create it).
                              2. It can't create anything that we couldn't make on our own (if we had the materials).
                              3. Ships take a LOT of energy to create. I'm not sure exactly how much, but a ZPM would be depleted after 3 or 4. That'd be a nice debate for the IOA; which is more valuable, a ZPM or 4 battlecruisers?

Most of this is already implied (I think so, at least) in Unending and AoT, but without these limitations, we'd be WAAAAAY too powerful. We'd be able to beat any enemy thrown our way, unless they had the same technology, which would get too strange (infinite fleets, each ship with it's own ZPM(s), etc.)

Comment

Working...
                              X