PDA

View Full Version : GateNews

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I was just wondering what was going on with GateNews. Last time I checked, I was subscribed, but I haven't seen any in a couple months.

David
October 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Believe it or not, we're working on that. We're hoping that I will be able to take it over in the next couple of months and do all sorts of neat, exclusive things with it. Not sure how much Darren will let me say beyond that, though :S

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks David. I remember the last issue (which came out right before the season eight premiere) said that you guys had finished working the kinks out and that we'd start recieving it weekly, but if you're just making it better, I can wait.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks David. I remember the last issue (which came out right before the season eight premiere) said that you guys had finished working the kinks out and that we'd start recieving it weekly, but if you're just making it better, I can wait.
They'll never cease being kinky at Gateworld. :P

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM
They'll never cease being kinky at Gateworld. :P
Especially if you keep hanging around. :P

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Especially if you keep hanging around. :P
It's one of my more endearing traits. And one of the reasons why they love me so much. :D

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:06 PM
It's one of my more endearing traits. And one of the reasons why they love me so much. :DAlas, it is true. If you left, GateWorld just wouldn't be GateWorld.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Alas, it is true. If you left, GateWorld just wouldn't be GateWorld.
I left for almost a week, once. The board managed to survive, but there were a few people pining for my return... ;)

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I left for almost a week, once. The board managed to survive, but there were a few people pining for my return... ;)
Strange, I don't seem to recall that joyous time.

David
October 17th, 2004, 08:18 PM
If I did get ahold if it, it would no longer be weekly, maybe every other week or once a month, because I would be gathering exclusive news stories just for the release of the newsletter.

The BIG problem that has us halted right now is the issue of exclusivity. If I go to the trouble to phone LA or Vancouver and get exclusive details for the newsletter, potentially minutes later Websites accross the Web will re-post my stuff, most without crediting us as its originator. This won't work.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Let me at 'em, David, I'll smite 'em all! :D

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:21 PM
That is a problem. I wish I had some ideas to solve it, but whenever I think of one, I realize it wouldn't work. Best of luck in resolving the problem though.

David
October 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
One possibility is to post news stories in the Newsletter 1 day before they get to GateWorld - so at least folks that have the newsletter delivered to their in-boxes, and last check there were thousands and thousands (:S), they get it a day before GateWorld's homepage does.

It's an idea.

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 08:29 PM
It's an idea.And it's a good one. What a smart fellow you are. (No sarcasm intended:))

David
October 17th, 2004, 08:32 PM
We've embedded codes into a lot of the pages on the site to keep anyone from directly linking stories, but there are ways of getting around such things, and with GateNews going into a thousand different types of inboxes, there's just no way to do it. Thus far GateNews has been about rehashing news stories on the site. We want to turn it into something original.

Darren
October 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
It's been on hiatus largely because of the amount of time it takes me on a regular basis. Especially with schoolwork starting back up, it's just impossible.

But we do have big, big plans for the newsletter!

Erik Pasternak
October 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Good to know. Thanks David and Darren for the info. And of course, thanks also go out to shadow for just being shadow.

ShadowMaat
October 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Awww, you say the sweetest things. ;)

Have to admit, I'm not signed up. I figure anything vital will be posted on the site. But I may have to reconsider, just because.

Teal'c
October 27th, 2004, 07:18 PM
I'm starting to think you guys are worse than I am (points to PHP project, tv series being written, guitar being learned, job being sought and drinking being done frequently. All of which I'll never finish! :P). How many things are you working at right now? There's a spoiler drought, give us something! :P

David
October 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm working on a project right now on my computer that is about 35 minutes long and will have an ample number of exclusive spoilers :). Breathe.

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
And you're taking time away from that vital project to come here and gloat about it?? You must have wasted at least 45 seconds of precious time!! :P

Kidding, BTW. And whatever twit is negging people for making jokes can forget it. Not MY fault you're a humorless trog. :P

Besides, I know David wuvs me... when he has time. Which isn't often because he's busy working on cool exclusive things for Gateworld. Right, David?? ;)

David
October 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Actually, what I was referring to in Post 20 is laying on my desktop harddrive at home while I'm at work. I stupidly forgot to transfer it to my portable for work, but I should be close to done with it this weekend. Now as to when Darren decides to post it ... :)

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Tsk tsk tsk tsk. Bad David! I'd say "no chocolate" but that wouldn't actually be a problem for you. ;) I'll think up a suitable punishment later. *sigh* All thous hours and hours of time wasted, instead of a silly 45 second blip.

Ah well, means you're here to be tortured, so I guess that's good, too. :)

Gatenews. I may actually have to sign up for it, whatever it turns out to be. It's just a matter of figuring out which account to use... and wondering if I can remember to check it...

David
October 27th, 2004, 07:57 PM
If you subscribe to GateNews you're automatically subscribed to GateAlert, a special notification that heads your way if a new season, boxed set, etc, is just announced.

Erik Pasternak
October 27th, 2004, 08:00 PM
If you subscribe to GateNews you're automatically subscribed to GateAlert, a special notification that heads your way if a new season, boxed set, etc, is just announced.
Which is good, 'cause as the plane was landing from my vacation earlier today, I couldn't help but thinking that WHILE I WAS GONE they announced if there was gonna be a season ten or not.

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Oh yes, because I am just SO thrilled with the current direction of the show and will be all yippy skippy if it gets renewed and golly, I'd just love to get my claws on a new boxed set! :P

But still, there's plenty of other good stuff involved, I know, and I can always be one of the first to GRIPE if the show gets renewed! Such a thought makes my little heart go pitter pat. ;)

Or would if I had a heart...

Pardon the overload of sarcasm. I seem to be hemorrhaging it tonight.

*wanders off to sign up*

David
October 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM
*wanders in to steer this bird back on-topic*;)

It may be a bit before GateNews officially gets back on her feet, but GateAlerts are definitely still in effect.

ShadowMaat
October 27th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Hey, I'm TRYING to sign up, but it's taking an inordinately long time. I'm stuck on the "Opening page..." bit. *grumble* Ya try and do something nice, and it goes all wobbly. :P

I assume I'm signed up and the page itself just isn't loading.

David
October 27th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Can't sign up? That's report-to-Darren worthy.

Teal'c
November 3rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
I'm working on a project right now on my computer that is about 35 minutes long and will have an ample number of exclusive spoilers :). Breathe.
Aagh, all of these spoilers at a time, then a huuuuuuuge gap, then another load... it hurts! :P

Example: Dozens of Atlantis photos in 2 days, following what seemed like a dryspell of several months :P

Erik Pasternak
November 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Aagh, all of these spoilers at a time, then a huuuuuuuge gap, then another load... it hurts! :P

Example: Dozens of Atlantis photos in 2 days, following what seemed like a dryspell of several months :P
Hopefully the dryspell is over.

GeneralJackO'Neill
November 3rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Hopefully the dryspell is over.

I'm with ya, rocket. I can't take it.

ShadowMaat
November 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Sooo.... have there been Gatenews things lately? Or do you at least get a confirmation email when you sign up? Because I still don't know if my reg went through but I don't wanna end up on it TWICE.

Erik Pasternak
November 3rd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Sooo.... have there been Gatenews things lately? Or do you at least get a confirmation email when you sign up? Because I still don't know if my reg went through but I don't wanna end up on it TWICE.
No GateNews in my inbox. :(

ShadowMaat
November 3rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Nevermind. Tried signing up again and it went through and I got the confirm email and regged so I should be good to go. In theory, anyway... :P

Erik Pasternak
June 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I have a couple questions, so I'm resurrecting this thread (it's a really nice thread, ya know, whoever made it is really smart :D). Ok, self-flattery aside...

Any news on GateNews? :D
I recently changed my e-mail address. I have re-registered with the new one, but should I do anything about the old one to ensure that you don't get any "e-mail does not exist" messages back?
Thanks.

CKO
June 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
oh yea i miss that... when do we get a new one.. huh huh huh.

GateWorld
June 20th, 2005, 03:10 PM
We were hoping to kick-start the newsletter this year, but the busy-ness of the rest of the site prevented it. In short, we may need to bring on a new volunteer just to do the newsletter (we're thinking of more of a content-driven magazine feel than just links to the latest stuff on the site).

If you or anyone you know is interested in all glory and no pay, and has experience in writing and content-creation, drop me a line at [email protected]!

Darren