This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season Five : Complaints and Misgivings

Welcome to the Season Five 'Complaints and Misgivings' thread.

To lay out a few ground rules:

This thread, and its mate, 'Season Five: Compliments and Praise' thread are to be the ONLY season specific limited focus threads. Any other, what we would have termed as general 'pro' or 'anti' threads will not be allowed and will be closed down.

The rules of this thread are simple. This is a 'safety zone' for people to express their complaints and misgivings without feeling like they are being forced to defend those opinions. As such, if you disagree with a post, comments such as 'you stupid idiot, season five is the best ever' or 'only idiots don’t love season five' will NOT be tolerated.

ANY AND ALL COMPLAINTS ABOUT SEASON FIVE ARE ON TOPIC HERE.

Bear in mind, you may be complaining that Chuck has too few lines, but someone else's complaint may be that he has too many. Both comments are on topic. And both comments MUST be respected and tolerated. We do not want to see things like 'This is only for complaints about (one certain aspect/character) go away.' People do not have to justify their complaints.

While you are free to complain about any aspect of the SHOW that you do not like, you are NOT allowed to complain about other fans, other forums or members of the cast and crew. You can complain about the CHARACTERS and what they do however.

For example:

'Joe Mallozzi is a twit' is inappropriate.
    'I don't like Joe's writing' is okay.

'I'm glad that Amanda has been gotten rid of' is inappropriate.
    'Thank goodness Sam has been written off the show' is okay.

Characters are not real people, they are fictional representations, therefore are not availed the same protection as real people. I know that, as a fan of a particular character or actor, it can be difficult to see people making unkind remarks about the character; however it is not against the rules, so you must accept it.

Terms like 'TIIC' (the idiots in charge) are not permissible. Anyone making remarks with terms such as this, even hiding it under spoiler tags, will be a candidate for moderation.

If you see a post that is inappropriate, your job, as it is, is to REPORT THE POST or ignore it and move on. It is not your job to police others and there is nothing wrong with using the report post feature.

We will also not tolerate things such as fans spying on fans. Can we stop you from spying? No. But we can stop you from talking about it. Comments like 'that serves those stupid chuck fans' are inappropriate. It falls under talking about other fans and is not allowed.

To put the rules in a nutshell….complain about the show to your hearts content. But do it while respecting others.

Do not disparage another's opinion.
    Do not mock or belittle others.
    Do not call others names.

That stuff is off topic. The topic is 'Complaints and Misgivings About Season Five', and it will be enforced.

How will we enforce it?

Glad you asked.

We will be using the infraction system. For those of you that have received infractions, until this point in time, we simply used them to communicate issues with posters in a way that allowed us to document the original post, as well as what we say to you in our PM's. The infraction system has a point system linked to it, that, until this point, we've ignored.

But we will be using it now.

Anyone breaking the on topic rules in the Complaints or Complilment thread will be given an infraction. You all know the rules, thus there will not be warnings issued. This post is your warning.

On the rare occasions that we see brand new posters misstepping in the narrow focus treads, they will receive ONE warning. This warning does not apply to our current and active members. You folks that have been here for months and years and have hundreds of posts, you know better.

Infraction One: You are 'gagged' for three days. Which means that you will be placed on read only status. You may make posts, but those posts will be held in the mod queue until your three days are over.

Infraction Two: You are gagged for six days and any posts you make while you are gagged will be deleted.

Infraction Three: You are gagged for two weeks and you will be counseled by a member of the mod team. You will discuss with them what the issues are and see what the problem is. This is also the point where the other mods will get involved. We'll discuss this particular poster's issues amongst ourselves and see what we can do to help.

Infraction Four: You are gagged for a month.

Infraction Five: You are permantly gagged. If you are found to be creating a sock puppet to circumvent the gagging, it will be banned.

While infractions – to this point – have not been cumulative, in the Complaints or Compliments threads, they WILL be cumulative. Any behavior infractions earned in these threads will never expire.

It does sound harsh, however those of you that have never had a post snipped or deleted, you likely won't notice anything different. Those of you that have gotten to know the mods well, you will need to be making adjustments to your behavior.

These infractions will apply ONLY to the limited focus threads. Thus, if you get gagged for 3 days in a Complaint or Compliment thread and then get a sig rule violation in another thread, it won't add up to six days of gagging.

However, if we do see people taking their bicker matches out of the narrow focus threads and into others, we will react. Talking about other fans behind their backs, calling them names and the like is against the rules of this forum and will be dealt with.

We don't want to lose people. However, over the past several months, the nastiness has gotten so horrible and so pervasive, that we really have no other choice. Posters are welcome as long as they follow the rules, however, out of fairness to the majority of our posters, if posters will not behave and respect others, they will need to find somewhere else to play.

sigpic

I have to say that my biggest concern about S5 is all the cast/character changes. I think it may be too many too fast. I think the show may loose it's cohesiveness.

Comment

I have major issues with the cast changes too over the past 2 seasons
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

It’s already become very random, now I think TPTB want to add a comedy role by having Woolsey. This is what concerns me the most. Because I was very disappointed the 200th episode in which the silliness got out of control, and I think the same is planned with Woolsey. I can't see any other reason or putting him in charge. Either that or there’ll be lots of annoying conflicts with other characters who disagree with him. It’ll probably be a mixture of the two. I always found the character very dull and boring and can’t imagine someone like him running a beautiful, bustling city like Atlantis.
        sigpic

Comment

I just wish TPTB appreciated the Weir character.
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

First, thank you mods for agreeing to this thread and its sibling!

Second, I have a laundry list of things I'm worried about with s5, including:

-Woolsey in charge.
            -No Weir.
            -Too many new characters for TPTB to handle.
            -How they handle Carson's story.
            -More Keller.

I'll probably go into more detail later. And unfortunately, with how the changes were handled in s4 I'm not really interested in seeing how the changes in s5 play out. It will take a miracle to draw me back into the show, unfortunately.

Comment

Thank you for this thread!

I do have reservations about season 5. IMO season 3 needed some minor tweaking and attention and I do recall posting some concerns back then but the amount of change, the lack of TH appearing as Wier, placing woolsey in charge of the city and the number of stand alone eps that have been in season 4 makes me wonder just what are tptb trying to change the show into.

I don't think Woosley is supposed to be pure comic relief but I do fear the character will be nothing more than a springboard to launch what ever plot rescue or drama they need.

Woosley is an interesting character and has much potential of being pivitol but I don't see him as leadership material.

My fear is they will make him into the next Rodney McKay and Woosley becomes the star of the show and with the exception of Rodney everyone else will be ignored again.

TPTB do seem to focus on developing just a few select characters and when they fail to develop another character that character always seems to fall to some dreadful fate.

I guess my biggest issue is Stagate Atlantis turning into Stargate Woosley.
              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                Thank you for this thread!

I do have reservations about season 5. IMO season 3 needed some minor tweaking and attention and I do recall posting some concerns back then but the amount of change, the lack of TH appearing as Wier, placing woolsey in charge of the city and the number of stand alone eps that have been in season 4 makes me wonder just what are tptb trying to change the show into.

I don't think Woosley is supposed to be pure comic relief but I do fear the character will be nothing more than a springboard to launch what ever plot rescue or drama they need.

Woosley is an interesting character and has much potential of being pivitol but I don't see him as leadership material.

My fear is they will make him into the next Rodney McKay and Woosley becomes the star of the show and with the exception of Rodney everyone else will be ignored again.

TPTB do seem to focus on developing just a few select characters and when they fail to develop another character that character always seems to fall to some dreadful fate.

I agree with you that Woosley is an interesting character. In a way, I kinda want to see how everyone reacts when he takes over. I would like to see how that storyline play out. I also hope we do seem some development with some the other characters. For example, I want see how Teyla is going to jugged being a mother and a proud warrior.

Comment

YES....FINALLY.

anyways.

Woolsey??...seriously. Look how he was with Jack in The Return 2.

Point made.

Not so sure about Keller. Not so sure about the SG people coming over. ITA about the taking over part, and the ramifications of that. The show WAS about the Pegasus galaxy, and Atlantis.

Not sure what it is about now.

Whatever happened to the sense that it was just "Them" out there to fend for themselves. AS it was said before in other threads, their link to earth shouldn't have been resurrected.
                  Last edited by sspader; 13 February 2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

Woolsey as leader is easily my biggest turnoff for s5. Don't like him, don't think he has what it takes to be a main character, don't want to see him progress from over his head to buddy-buddy with the team, don't care period. TPTB wanted conflict, they could have written it in before with either Weir or Carter. TPTB wanted a leader in a Hammond-type role, well how much screentime will they spend on Woolsey's transformation? TPTB were quick to emphasize how Carter had both military and scientific skills, well Woolsey has neither. Blech all around.

Comment

The thing is... Woolsey is yet another SG-1 carry-over, although I suppose technically Weir was, too. Still, I'd rather have a character who wholly belongs to Atlantis rather than one who comes with baggage from another show. Particularly a dead one. Folks used to mock me for worrying about the amount of crossover material, but now look at it- one of our biggest baddies is an SG-1 baddie, Sam, a lead character from SG-1 became a lead character on Atlantis, Woolsey, a PITA from SG-1 is now Atlantis's PITA, Daniel has (or will be?) visiting and so will Teal'c, apparently. Jack's already been and gone. I appreciate that the two shows are set in the same universe, but that doesn't mean that Atlantis should be used as life support for a dessicated corpse.

Atlantis will never be its own show if it's constantly depending on SG-1 for stories and characters. Not that TPTB seem to care about that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        The thing is... Woolsey is yet another SG-1 carry-over, although I suppose technically Weir was, too. Still, I'd rather have a character who wholly belongs to Atlantis rather than one who comes with baggage from another show. Particularly a dead one. Folks used to mock me for worrying about the amount of crossover material, but now look at it- one of our biggest baddies is an SG-1 baddie, Sam, a lead character from SG-1 became a lead character on Atlantis, Woolsey, a PITA from SG-1 is now Atlantis's PITA, Daniel has (or will be?) visiting and so will Teal'c, apparently. Jack's already been and gone. I appreciate that the two shows are set in the same universe, but that doesn't mean that Atlantis should be used as life support for a dessicated corpse.

Atlantis will never be its own show if it's constantly depending on SG-1 for stories and characters. Not that TPTB seem to care about that.
                        The cross overs don't bother me as much. However, I do see you point with SG-1 characters being a life line to an extent.

SGA does have some inherent problems in the basic concept of the show.

First problem is the show has no clear cut mission or main story arc. Sure it has tons of little arcs but that only adds up to "stand alone eps" galore.

the next issue is making either the show believable by keeping the tech real or by making the characters so real like that the tech of the shows falls to the background.

What early SG-1 managed to do was keep it real by keeping the alien tech beyond us and making O'Neill, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c such powerful characters that you (meaning us viewers) were so engrossed by the character and what was happening to them that the big round circle thing in the background seemed real as well.

Now, we got the same ship set recycled over and over again...for tons of different ships too. Earth has tons of tech, lots of big honken ships and fighters ALONG with the ancient city...which is basically ignored now too...that it doesn't seem real at all. It's like watching a a bad space trooper vs. big bug movie.

There is no "charm" to the show. What charm it did have...the interactions between Beckett, Wier, Sheppard, Rodney have now been destroyed.

I watched the show in season 3 for the characters...not for the big budget special effects and to see the newest space ship which looks just like the old one. Who cares about new space ships and big bad explosions. That's just filler!

The next inherent problem with the show is by putting it in another galaxy the show has basically made it like we now own our galaxy and we know everything that's out there. There isn't anything left to fond in the milky way...though our galaxy is over 188,000 light years across and one of the biggest spiral galaxies around...we must have concurred it all. We have a moving black hole in the center of our galaxy, we are on collision course with the Andromeda galaxy which is equal in size and yet...we go outside our galaxy...millions of light years to another galaxy to find trouble there. When they did the Ori...same thing. Another galaxy.

Thus, by placing the show in more than one galaxy they have given rise to problems that they solved by bringing in space ships and a midway gate. Hence, Stargate Spaceship.

I also find the notion of sending civilians to another planet, in another galaxy, where they could be stranded, to be so unbelievable that it just boggles my mind as to what government agency would do something that reckless.

The show started out okay in season 1 with placing them stranded and on their own in an alien city that was beyond their scientific ability, an enemy that ate us, allies that were really enemies and sheppar's team having to survive on wits alone.

But in order to "rescue Atlantis" at the end of season 1 they sent the ship, then another ship and then a midway gate.

I think the show would have done better in the long run if they defended the city without outside help and kept the team stranded and on their own.

Of course, if they did that then we wouldn't have all those lovely cross overs.
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I too have a big problem with Woolsey running Atlantis. It looks wrong to me on many levels. For some odd reason I feel Atlantis should be lead by a woman, preferably civilan. Atlantis is a city of myth and legend and is visually beautiful, with lean and elegant structure - dare I say it is feminine. To me it *feels* right that a woman is in charge. Weir was IMHO an excellent choice, but Carter was quite alright too. Woolsey on the other hand... I'm sorry to say that, but he's not worthy of being in charge of Atlantis. It's so much bigger than he is.

Woolsey is IOA, so he's always been on the opposite side, more or less hindering SGC and Atlantis mission. Even if he has a change of heart, I don't know how well he could fit in, earning trust of people under his command and earning trust and respect of SGA fans. Weir steadily earned trust and respect by her character and decisions. Carter has proven herself over and over during her time in SG-1 and gains trust implicitly. Woolsey on the other hand...

TPTB should take a more global look at what they are trying to do and where they are heading with SGA. It would allow for better character development and better story development. What they have been making is short-sighted, spur-of-the-moment decisions to fit the coming few episodes and that's hurting the series badly.

Comment

Wow, MatroxMeteor! What an interesting view of Atlantis! I liked your post!

My biggest concern with this new season is that we will get lots of drama without any depth - something like explosions just because they look pretty. I fear they will do lots of DRAMA! just because it's SHOCKING! - and all we will have is soap opera effect on screen. I'm sensing Teyla's baby and the daddy will meet some awful fate so we can see more of ptb's favorite ship being pushed up our noses. I sense there will be more Larrin or whatever Larrin - like characters so the boy(s) can have fun. More infantile humor. More whiny Keller. Woolsey will just be a wallpaper on the glass wall of Weir's office - with him they'll be able to do something they could have never done with Weir and that pis push her completely out of the way.

I also think they'll try to do more "team"; in order to make Atlantis more like SG1, which won't work because Atlantis was always a different concept. I don't see any of the charaters really becming smarter.

One positive thing though - no more Weir on screen, no more of butchering her character in front of our eyes. Whatever they do with that rouge replicator storyline won't be original. We'll get another "been there, done that" scenario. And Carson? I don't even dare to think what will happen with him.
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

My main concerns are;

Even more forced romance.
                              Larrin.
                              Lack of team eps.
                              More sg1 charcters.
                              Larrin
                              charcters forced into eps that are not needed just so they can say there, there.
                              and finaly
                              Larrin.

I am very aware that although the writters have assured us that the new charcters being added wont take away time from other charcters. i just cant see how thats possible.

They will have to use these newbies when someone else could have been used. I also wonder what stories could have been told if they didnt have to think about how to insert the new charcters in to the action.

The cast is pretty big as it stands why the need for more? I still feel that I know hardly anything about Teyla, Ronan Lorne etc.

It feels to me that they just add more people to the mix to create new stories rather than concentrating on the charcters they have. they also appear to be young women of the pretty variety. what I wouldnt give to see some more mature woman charcters on Sga. Weir was that person for me, she didnt need to resort to using inuendo or cleavage to get what she wanted. she used her diplomacy and conviction to lead. I dont see any charcter filling that void. Carter came closer than most, although Id love to say Teyla, shes been so absent this season that I dont know what shes like anymore.

I hope that my fears for Sga season 5 are wrong, but i just have that horrible feeling that the big space ROMCOM is just around the corner.

Oh and thankyou Mods for allowing this thread. i promise to be on my best behaviour
                              sigpic
                              banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Working...
                              X