This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    I've just come up with a brilliant theory to explain everything: Atlantis is TPTB's midlife crisis. It explains everything! What do men having a midlife crisis do? Cling to their treasured past (SG-1) and go after younger and younger women (just look at the cast). A man going through a midlife crisis can be a lot like a horny teenage male- obsessed with sex/women, fast rides and in this case we'll add in big explosions, too (and not go in any pervy directions with that, thank you). Atlantis has a LOT more ships than it used to- none of them bigger than Atlantis itself, and we all know men are obsessed with size.

That's gotta be it. All the problems with Atlantis, from the prevalence of busty females to the juvenelizing of the characters to the bigger and better ships to the inability to stay on one subject (or one cast line-up)... SGA is a midlife crisis. I rest my case.
    I think you're right. As a new SGA fan it's just not coming together for me. First, I had to get to know the characters, some of which I already knew from SG-1 and a couple of eps like "Rising." and "Critical Mass" (sigh- the good old days). But the Keller character doesn't work for me and now they're adding at least two or three more members- I have lost track- add Carson back and it's four. How the heck can there be any character development? It was already over-casted to begin with. In SG-1 you had a really small cast and it was possible to get to know them . With SGA it's the adventure of the week and I am very disappointed. Someone pointed out there are 4 stand-alone eps in a row this half of the season. I think I'm going to be confused. They're picking flash over substance. My feeling is that they want Season 5 and the end of the show to go out with a big bang- and not a lot else.

Comment

i don't care about the gender of the writers, i'd just like someone with some fresh ideas and some sense of dignity

i'm tired of all alien women being pretty, thin little things with her boobs hanging out throwing herself all over shep or rod. or the male aliens being lascivious letchers that are only good for a yuk-yuk joke.

i'm sick of jokes at the cost of other characters and juvenile humor.

i want cruddy slapstick, i'll put in American Pie or some other piece of drek.

the show used to have some real dignity and didnt need explosions to tell a story.

i think back to Tangent, where the characters were separated for 90% of the show, but there was this quiet desperation to save jack and teal'c...and this dignified impendinig death sense and it was just fun. these people cared for and about each other.

beyond the clumsy shep/teyla and shep/weir, there's not much caring going on iwth the sga crew. (my opinion, no offense to anyone that likes it....i just personally wouldn't use shep for anything but sex . he's too immature for anything beyond that. and these writers couldn't write a real relationship if their lives depended on it)

and honestly, shep is such an immature soul, who would want him???? its' like cameron being the 'wow, what a great leader' in season 9 and 10....who then acted like a 19 year old on ritalyn.

you can't have 'responsible leader' and 'roguish youthfulness' in the same character. but these writers seem obsessed with that characterization.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        i don't care about the gender of the writers, i'd just like someone with some fresh ideas and some sense of dignity
        Have to say, there are as many poor female as male writers around. I don't think women write better than men, or vice versa, personally.

i'm tired of all alien women being pretty, thin little things with her boobs hanging out throwing herself all over shep or rod. or the male aliens being lascivious letchers that are only good for a yuk-yuk joke.
        I'm tired of the medieval style costumes. For goodness sakes, don't the denizens of the Pegasus Galaxy wear anything else?

Didn't like the attack on Zelenka in Trio. Unforgiveable, totally unbelievable and not funny in my eyes. I actually was insulted on poor Radek's behalf. I can't believe that one slipped through the net, so to speak

the show used to have some real dignity and didnt need explosions to tell a story.

i think back to Tangent, where the characters were separated for 90% of the show, but there was this quiet desperation to save jack and teal'c...and this dignified impendinig death sense and it was just fun. these people cared for and about each other.

beyond the clumsy shep/teyla and shep/weir, there's not much caring going on iwth the sga crew. (my opinion, no offense to anyone that likes it....i just personally wouldn't use shep for anything but sex . he's too immature for anything beyond that. and these writers couldn't write a real relationship if their lives depended on it)
        You'd use Shep for sex? I'm shocked! I'd NEVER do that! Honest, I wouldn't...no way...I'd never think of him in that way...it's just not who I am...yeah, right!

No arguments from me on the ship stuff. YUK. Shep settle down? Good grief, I don't think so somehow!

and honestly, shep is such an immature soul, who would want him???? its' like cameron being the 'wow, what a great leader' in season 9 and 10....who then acted like a 19 year old on ritalyn.

you can't have 'responsible leader' and 'roguish youthfulness' in the same character. but these writers seem obsessed with that characterization.

You know I love Shep to bits, but him settle down? Nope. I just can't see it. I don't see him as immature per se, more a restless soul who doesn't want the emotional baggage which inevitably comes with a relationship. But, I don't disagree relationship stuff isn't written well by the writers often. I can't get over Katie and Rodney. The pair of them seems so disfunctional and naive together. Are people in their thirties really like that? Sorry if anyone here is! )
        sigpic

Comment

Is anyone else very fearful that Teyla's baby will be kidnapped? Man, I do not want to see that happen. Cliche, cliche, cliche.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
            Is anyone else very fearful that Teyla's baby will be kidnapped? Man, I do not want to see that happen. Cliche, cliche, cliche.
            By aliens? I will go in with you on that bet -- if there is a bet.
            sig made by me

Comment

I had nothing with the girls until they started abusing this idea. I liked Chaya because there was more about her than the rest. She was alone all that time and she needed some company. It is understandable that she wanted to hook up with John. The second woman, the one learning to ascend started to show a pattern. John was a magnet for ascending women. Okay, I said no worries, John stayed there all that time she cared for him, it is normal. Then the lady from inferno started hitting on him. The glass was getting slowly full. The glass was spilled and shattered when Larrin showed up. The only reason for them to hook up was their toight pants . Whenever I see Sheppard with a woman, I fast forward because I know she will drool all over him and his gel.

The target audience wants that so we are the minority. What we would like to see does not apply for everyone .

Here is a noodle for you. Spot on. Some people think size matters some CGI

You are trying to impress me aren't ye?

Amazing post Sky, you should do it more often

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                I've just come up with a brilliant theory to explain everything: Atlantis is TPTB's midlife crisis. It explains everything! What do men having a midlife crisis do? Cling to their treasured past (SG-1) and go after younger and younger women (just look at the cast). A man going through a midlife crisis can be a lot like a horny teenage male- obsessed with sex/women, fast rides and in this case we'll add in big explosions, too (and not go in any pervy directions with that, thank you). Atlantis has a LOT more ships than it used to- none of them bigger than Atlantis itself, and we all know men are obsessed with size.

That's gotta be it. All the problems with Atlantis, from the prevalence of busty females to the juvenelizing of the characters to the bigger and better ships to the inability to stay on one subject (or one cast line-up)... SGA is a midlife crisis. I rest my case.
                That's it! Oh my goddess, that's the answer to everything. Can't green you but this is so totally correct.... Unfortunately

To the bolded part -> You shouldn't have added the part in brackets. You really shouldn't have said that.

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                get in some fresh blood, like Paul Cornell and Stephen Moffat who can write proper creepy sci fi
                Holy hell... yes! Y-E-S!!!

Well, I'm quite sure something's going to happen to the wee lad. The temptation not to is just way too big, and it would turn Teyla darker, right? Right? ... Yeah right...
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Chailyn View Post
                  Although, according to JM, I think this is the direction they want to go in for Zelenka, which has me scared for S5. Maybe he'll start cross-dressing next! (spoilers for JM's blog)

Spoiler:
                  Itxas lamia writes: “…the most destacable one being the infamous ‘Zelenka bashing’ one.

[…]…honestly I can’t imagine Weir saying such things.”

Answer: In all fairness, there is a scene from the season 3 episode Common Ground in which two dozen pairs of women’s shoes are discovered in Zelenka’s closet including Weir’s missing patent leather pumps. Unfortunately, the scene was cut for time but the deleted footage can still be found among the boxset special features.

Seriously?? He's breaking into people's rooms and stealing their stuff?? They wanted to include that in Common Ground?
                  Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                  I honestly thought the whole Zelenka w/ Shoes in closet comment was a joke. Was it really a thought/idea to put in the episode?

Awww how can anyone want to degrade Dr.Z?
                  It was a joke guys - just Mallozzi being his usual sarcastic self. If you're not sure, think about this: Zelenka wasn't even in Common Ground and they wouldn't have brought David in just to film a scene like that that bore no relation to the rest of the story.

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  I would consider this an anti thread to discuss what issues you have with the show. if you don't have issues there is another thread to post what you like about the show.

I'm not here to bash the show and flame people. I'm hear to discuss issues I have about the changes and general writing with others who feel similar to the way I do.
                  This thread is open to people of all opinions to express their misgivings... it's not just those "who feel similar to the way [you] do"... someone's misgivings may be the exact opposite of your misgivings but they're still misgivings and still on topic.

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                  I have one main concern though. That's the character focus episodes. I haven't always enjoyed the way in season 4 that some episodes have been dedicated to one sole character to the exclusion of everyone else. I understand season 4 had baby issues, and so understand, but I'm not sure I want episodes with one character and not really anyone else. Even if it's my favourite character. I enjoy my fav characters WHEN they interact with the team, and I am worried that if this trend continues into season 5 that I will be disappointed at the lack of a team feel to the show.
                  Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. I have enjoyed some of the solo character focus eps well enough (selfishly, the ones with Sheppard in! ) but they're not necessarily ones I would rewatch a lot... I like pretty all the characters but I like them as a team and how they interact with each other. Short of the obvious - Sheppard - I'm not really interested enough in any of the other characters to be all that interested in an episode that focuses pretty much exclusively on them. I mean, I was pleased for Rachel to get Missing and have such a focus on her character for the episode... and I enjoyed the ep.. but I've never rewatched it. I'm not interested enough in Teyla on her own (or Teyla and Keller). Now, an ep that focused on Teyla but showed her interacting with Rodney and Sheppard and Ronon etc.. I would probably really enjoy.

As Linzi said, I think the unusual amount of these episodes in Season 4 has been mostly down to baby issues, with Rachel's pregnancy and both Jason and David facing impending fatherhood, so I do hope it is a trend that doesn't continue in Season 5.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                    By aliens? I will go in with you on that bet -- if there is a bet.
                    Micheal is my theory. Please, don't let this be true.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Well, I'm quite sure something's going to happen to the wee lad. The temptation not to is just way too big, and it would turn Teyla darker, right? Right? ... Yeah right...
                    If they want dark--I mean really depressing dark--and solve the problem of what to do with the child, they could kill him. But I don't think TPTB would do that. Nor do I want them too. But kidnapping would add some angst for Teyla and keep her stepping through the gate, searching for him. It seems like an easy solution, that's why I'm really afraid the writers will take this route. I would much rather see her struggle with being a parent to a normal child and balancing her duties on the team.

Comment

A green is winging it's way to you as we speak, that's hit the nail on the head perfectly

I know it's been said before but it's about time Sheppard and Rodney came out of a very overcrowded closet, after all everyone likes to jump on a successful bandwagon and as Torchwood is doing so well on both sides of the Atlantic I'd have thought the writers would have sneaked a little M/M action to boost ratings, they've tried everything else.

Comment

I don't want that to happen either, because I actually get pretty distressed about kidnapped baby plots. It reminds me of when that's happened to people in RL. But what concerns me is how she can carry on on the team with a young baby to look after. How can that happen, if she's nursing etc ? So it's possible it might, I suppose, because it's a convenient way to off load the sprog. Maybe the father could look after him? Or Teyla's people? But would Teyla do that, let go of her child? Hmmm, it's going to be very difficult to explain this one, I think.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          Last time they wanted things darker they changed the uniforms to leather.

Comment

Micheal is my theory. Please, don't let this be true.

If they want dark--I mean really depressing dark--and solve the problem of what to do with the child, they could kill him. But I don't think TPTB would do that. Nor do I want them too. But kidnapping would add some angst for Teyla and keep her stepping through the gate, searching for him. It seems like an easy solution, that's why I'm really afraid the writers will take this route. I would much rather see her struggle with being a parent to a normal child and balancing her duties on the team.
                            And how much will I remember Scully. Nope, no rehashed plots any where to be seen.

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                            & lowered the lights. But I must say I did enjoy Shep's slight dark turn.
                            sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                              I don't want that to happen either, because I actually get pretty distressed about kidnapped baby plots. It reminds me of when that's happened to people in RL. But what concerns me is how she can carry on on the team with a young baby to look after. How can that happen, if she's nursing etc ? So it's possible it might, I suppose, because it's a convenient way to off load the sprog. Maybe the father could look after him? Or Teyla's people? But would Teyla do that, let go of her child? Hmmm, it's going to be very difficult to explain this one, I think.
                              I have to say here I too hope TPTB don't go this route

first because of the RL implications... but also because SGA isn't about this TO ME. Getting this into one character's whole personal drama is just over the top IMHO and they have done that way to much already with Shep and Rodney.

Even though it is part of the show at this point I have to say I really wish it hadn't of been because it takes the show to a place I am not sure i want to to go.

I miss the *Team*, it is the same lament I had for many moons over SG-1 when TPTB decided *Hey lets get all involved in the characters lives*
                              They can't seem to find a good writing balance in giving background as they write a great story for the *team*. There have been many a show where the team isn't always all together but each character is doing something that fits into the overall story arc and goal of the show so everything ties together and if it takes one or two episodes it does all pull the finely woven strings into a wonderful woven tapestry of story telling.

I miss that A LOT
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                                As Linzi said, I think the unusual amount of these episodes in Season 4 has been mostly down to baby issues, with Rachel's pregnancy and both Jason and David facing impending fatherhood, so I do hope it is a trend that doesn't continue in Season 5.
                                Or it's due to the fact they gave all their money to the FX-people and had nothing left for the other episodes. They should stop throwing their money out of windows and doors like that... Big explosions don't bring anything to the story other than being pretty (to some).

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
                                And let's not forget, the lights went out... The electricity-bill has gone down considerably in season 4.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X