PDA

View Full Version : "Ghost in the Machine" (505) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PG15
February 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Writer: Carl Binder
Director: Ken Girroti

---

And another title...maybe. Well, it sounds like it:

And - hey, look who’s back! Yep, with the Carl Binder turned up for work today! And he brought us a present: his first draft of Ghost in the Machine. To show our appreciation, we got him a cake and sang Happy Birthday (this despite the fact that he won’t be celebrating his birthday until August). Check out the pics, especially the last one. Have you ever seen a happier-looking birthday boy?

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/february-12-2008-damn-garage-door-opener/

Killdeer
February 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ghost in the Machine? Oh my. That's one of my favorite fanfics. :lol:

For anyone who's interested, here's the link:
By Sholio (Friendshipper): http://friendshipper.laylalawlor.com/ghost.shtml

Halloween story. Sheppard and McKay are trapped on a world with a malfunctioning Stargate, a monster ... and a mystery

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 06:08 PM
reminds me of Ghost in the Shell :P

Fenrir Foxz
February 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ghost in the Machine? Oh my. That's one of my favorite fanfics. :lol:

For anyone who's interested, here's the link:
By Sholio (Friendshipper): http://friendshipper.laylalawlor.com/ghost.shtml

Cool name for a ep :)

LoL... I was just thinking that when I noticed this thread :P

*It's quite a good anime series aswell ;)*

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/12/february-12-2008-damn-garage-door-opener/

Makes me think of the Replicators...

Redhooks
February 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I almost started this thread when I first saw prion post JM's blog but I thought, "why steal PG15's thunder?" :P :D
Sounds like there maybe a person or entity stuck in a machine ala Ava in the VR world from Outcast.

Killdeer
February 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Sounds like there maybe a person or entity stuck in a machine ala Ava in the VR world from Outcast.

Ava. Maybe that's what it is - the return of Ava. :D

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 06:15 PM
LoL... I was just thinking that when I noticed this thread :P

*It's quite a good anime series aswell ;)*

I never watched the series, only the movies

Makes me think of the Replicators...

I hope it's not about ascension

cabouse18
February 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ava. Maybe that's what it is - the return of Ava. :D

I could see this ep being about that...i mean she is inside a machine afterall;)

Killdeer
February 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Well, the poem says "A ghost from the past has us fearing the worst." Maybe that was referring to this episode.

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Well, the poem says "A ghost from the past has us fearing the worst." Maybe that was referring to this episode.

oooh good one, that may indeed refer to this ep

Ltcolshepjumper
February 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM

A ghost from the past... Kolya? Cowen?

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I think you're taking it too literal...

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 06:44 PM
A ghost from the past... Kolya? Cowen?

:eek: Lucius

Ltcolshepjumper
February 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
:eek: Lucius

He dies?:)

Famous
February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Gotta love them taking a title from the 4400 :rolleyes:

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 06:52 PM
He dies?:)

that'd be great but if the line really refers to this ep then I can understand why 'A ghost from the past has [them] fearing the worst' :S

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Gotta love them taking a title from the 4400 :rolleyes:

Do you even know what the expression means? Or do you actually believe it's something they came up with in The 4400?

haloplayer
February 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Im guessing this Episode may be about some sort of AI (Artificial Intelligience). Infact this may lead to a new Enemy. If the AI was an enemy it could possibly built other Robots. Now im sure you think that Robots would not make a good enemy since they have already been done with the Replicators. But these new Robots (if they ever make them) should not even look human at all (like the Peguses Galexy Reps did). They would look like the Killer Robots in other Sci Fi. And they can be injured with other weapons so it would make them not like the Replicators which were almost invincible (i mean by trying to kill one with a hand held weapon).

MattSilver 3k
February 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
The title is awesome... but I have no idea what it'll be about...

Robots? Cybermen? Replicators?

All good choices.

jenks
February 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Whatever it is I hope they keep it SciFi and don't start wandering into the realms of Fantasy, it's bad enough they've made references to life-force and souls let alone ghosts!

ciannwn
February 13th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Do you even know what the expression means?

The meaning of the expression refers to Descartes concept of dualism - the human body is a machine infused by an immaterial soul. A philosopher called Gilbert Ryle scornfully dismissed this idea as 'The Ghost In The Machine'.

It's difficult to see how this could relate to SGA as a story theme unless it's got something to do with 'This Mortal Coil' -

KELLER: Why do you think we did all this? Your humanity is what we're interested in. Because the Ancients created us with one fatal flaw.

WEIR: You can't ascend. That's what you're after, isn't it?

and

WEIR: You think by studying us, you'll discover the secret ingredient?

KELLER: You're all fully human. You have the same minds as your original selves, the same thoughts, the same emotions. More importantly, you have something that's always eluded us, something that kept your kind apart from the very beginning and made you special in the eyes of our creators. You would call it a soul. It is that "secret ingredient" you referred to – the key to ascension.

WEIR: That is not something you can learn to acquire simply by studying us.

KELLER: Why not? The human brain is just an electro-chemical machine – biologically created, but a machine nonetheless. Everything is quantifiable.

Somehow I just can't see SGA having an episode devoted to finding out what this secret ingredient called a soul is.

Jeff O'Connor
February 13th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Neither can I, but I can see SGA having an episode dedicated to the splinter group believing they've discovered said ingredient, and then it's blunder time and Sheppard and friends get caught up in the technobabble travesty.

ciannwn
February 13th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Neither can I, but I can see SGA having an episode dedicated to the splinter group believing they've discovered said ingredient, and then it's blunder time and Sheppard and friends get caught up in the technobabble travesty.

That's a possibility although there wouldn't be much philosophy involved in the story because SGA isn't Star Trek.

I think Arthur Koestler's idea of the 'Ghost In The Machine' can probably be ruled out as story inspiration as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_in_the_Machine

One of the book's central concepts is that as the human brain has grown, it has built upon earlier, more primitive brain structures, and that these are the "ghost in the machine" of the title. Koestler's theory is that at times these structures can overpower cognitive logic, and are responsible for hate, anger and other such impulses.

I can't see the Atlantis expedition discussing Wraith behaviour on the lines of the Iratus bug part of their brains overpowering their cognitive logic, though. The Nox might talk about primitive parts of the brain in relation to Tau'ri evolution but they aren't in the Pegasus galaxy.

The supernatural can be ruled out because there are no 'real ghosts' as in dead beings haunting the living in the Stargate universe. So what's left? My guess is that it will have something to do with computers and/or A.I.s. Maybe a mysterious entity moves into the Atlantis computer and they have to find a way of evicting it before it takes the city over. On the other hand, maybe something happens so the Atlantis computer starts developing some kind of 'consciousness'.

Another possibility to consider is that this isn't a real episode title. :)

AscendedTauri
February 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I'm thinking 'Ghost in the Machine' is an updated title for 'Monkey in the Control Room', the title Joe M. was teasing about back in December. :)

Platschu
February 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
"Ghost in the machine" reminds me that replicators would like to ascend. So their returned "ghost" is actually their "soul" and the "machine" is their "physical body".

Jeff O'Connor
February 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Wow, I'm perfectly split between leaning toward ciannwn and AscendedTauri's explanation (which I've linked together because it could be one and the same, with facts like that) and Platschu's. I'm not sure which I'd want to see more -- in part because I've never been overly thrilled with the Asuran storyline, and we've had a lot of on-base mishaps of vaguely similar nature take place before. Which would propel the story forward more? Probably the former, but I'm starting to think it's going to be what ciannwn said here:

Maybe a mysterious entity moves into the Atlantis computer and they have to find a way of evicting it before it takes the city over. On the other hand, maybe something happens so the Atlantis computer starts developing some kind of 'consciousness'.

For some reason, that's just 'clicking' with me. It seems like an... Atlantean thing to do.

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 01:58 PM
:lol: It reminds me more of a campy 90's horror movie.

Jumper_One
February 14th, 2008, 02:33 PM
:lol: It reminds me more of a campy 90's horror movie.

err oookaaay... ;) :P

Scary Kitty
February 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I think ciannwn's on the right track. In light of that, it's also possible that this is the episode that was originally supposed to have Weir, before Torri turned the offer down. We know Binder and Mullie were working on the storyline, and Mallozzi did state that they were going to go ahead with that episode anyway, albeit with necessary changes. *shrugs*

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
err oookaaay... ;) :P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107009/
It's a horrible movie the only reason I saw it is because my friends told me about a scene where a kid bribes his baybysitter to show her boobs to him.;)

Jumper_One
February 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107009/
It's a horrible movie the only reason I saw it is because my friends told me about a scene where a kid bribes his baybysitter to show her boobs to him.;)

LOL yeah that IS a bad movie. but I'd sure like to know more about that scene ;) :D

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
LOL yeah that IS a bad movie. but I'd sure like to know more about that scene ;) :D

:lol: Very bad Jumper_One you need to be punished.;)

Jumper_One
February 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
:lol: Very bad Jumper_One you need to be punished.;)

:eek: I do??? :D:D:D:D:D:D

sparkygate
February 15th, 2008, 05:05 AM
hmmm.... "Ghost in the Machine".... makes me think of an ascended being been stuck in a machine that the ancients built to maybe prevent it from escaping or ever evolving...

Mitchell82
February 15th, 2008, 04:25 PM
hmmm.... "Ghost in the Machine".... makes me think of an ascended being been stuck in a machine that the ancients built to maybe prevent it from escaping or ever evolving...

Hmm another Anubis?

PG15
February 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
The episode mentioned:

While Marty G. is on the set of his episode (Search and Rescue), and Paul is prepping his episode (The Seed), and I’m writing my script (Whispers), Carl is doing another rewrite of his script (Ghost in the Machine), and Alan is mulling over a possible story to slip into the #9 slot as the script originally envisioned for that spot ran into a “creative snafu” that a) moved it into the back half and b) may necessitate a change in perspective. Brad is, of course, penning #6 (can‘t wait to see the grotto), Carl is going to jump on #8 (interesting developments in this one that had Priscilla and the gang at MGM very excited), and Marty G. will do the honors for the mid-season two-parter (Welcome back to Atlantis, Dr. Jackson).

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/february-20-2008-production-progress/

kymeric
February 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM
If a replicator downloaded into a human body turned off its nanites the stepped into the ascendo-machine would it ascend or get an 404ERROR message?

GoSpikey
February 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
What is meant by the word 'grotto'?

PG15
February 22nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
A grotto is a wet cave with a pond in it where hot girls and Hugh Hefner have hot hot sex.

Jumper_One
February 22nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
A grotto is a wet cave with a pond in it where hot girls and Hugh Hefner have hot hot sex.

written by BW? woohoo :D

jenks
February 22nd, 2008, 04:04 PM

Yeah that's the first thing I found on Google images too... :D

PG15
February 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
To Google Images!!

Fenrir Foxz
February 22nd, 2008, 04:08 PM

Awsome! :D

woohoo :D

My thoughts exactly :P

Yeah that's the first thing I found on Google images too... :D

To Google Images!!

:lol:

*I was just about to do the same thing* :P :D

PG15
March 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Episode got a mention...

I received notes on Whispers, worked on the rewrite, and took a tour of some of the new construction on the FX stage. Jason came by the office about a half dozen times today, each time popping up to discuss Broken Ties for all of two minutes before being called back down to set. Then, I rounded out my afternoon by skimming past scripts for appropriate flashback sequences. Alan is off and running on the new episode #9, The Queen, while Paul does a pass on Ghost in the Machine, Carl works on Tracker, and Marty G. gets a head start on the mid-season two-parter. Looking way ahead, I’ve talked myself into the #16 spot with “a very special Stargate Atlantis” (apologies to James Stewart), while we’ve got some other potential stories floating about in search of definitive slot.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/march-4-2008-lowlifes-scripts-and-those-infernal-colored-pages/

PG15
March 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
We've got a director!

Squeakiep writes: “Would you be so kind as to tell us how the director line-up looks for the front 10 episodes of season 5?”

Answer: Andy Mikita does the honors on Martin Gero’s Search and Rescue, Will Waring follows on Paul Mullie’s The Seed, Ken Girotti steps into the line-up on my Broken Ties, after which Andy Mikita steps back into the rotation for Alan McCullough’s Daedalus Variations, Ken Girroti is next on Carl Binder’s Ghost in the Machine, then back to Andy Mikita for Brad Wright’s as-yet-untitled tear jerker, which brings us back to Will Waring for my second episode, Whispers.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/march-5-2008-congratulations-all-around/

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM

:lol::samanime24: How I envy that man.

Jumper_One
March 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM

:indeed: :D

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
:indeed: :D

He is so lucky.

Jumper_One
March 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
He is so lucky.

he's not the only one *cough* Jack *cough*

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Of course he's a player.;)

Jumper_One
March 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Of course he's a player.;)

I meant because he got Sam ;) :P

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 07:40 PM

Oh yeah that too.;)

Jumper_One
March 5th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah that too.;)

yup :D he's one lucky guy

PG15
March 13th, 2008, 06:08 PM
A mention:

In other production news - Will Waring is working on his director’s cut of The Seed, Broken Ties is shooting the Solen scene, looks like the Visual Effects department is going to have their hands full with The Daedalus Variations, Carl just put out the blue pages on Ghost in the Machine, Brad and I await the network/studio notes on The Shrine of Talus and Whispers, Carl continues work on Tracker, Alan has gone to script on The Queen, while Marty G. hammers away at the still untitled mid-season two-parter.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/march-13-2008-hazzencockles-hard-times-and-the-trouble-with-flares/

Astrofighter
March 13th, 2008, 06:38 PM
When I think of Ghost in the Machine I instatly think to Ghost in a Shell as well. For those that dont know about the series, bascially humans "upgrade" their bodes and are able to do a complete transfer from a human body to a completely artifical one. The notion of ghost in the machine is the idea of a consciousness living in an artifical body. As the series progress it touches on both humans in complete cyber bodies as well if artificial intelligence has progressed to the point where one could not truly tell the difference between an AI and a human in cyber body, hence the term ghost in a shell, shell being the body and the ghost being the actual consciousness.

I highly suggest watching all 3 movies and the two seasons of the tv show.

McSwift
March 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Whatever it is I hope they keep it SciFi and don't start wandering into the realms of Fantasy, it's bad enough they've made references to life-force and souls let alone ghosts!

Its the ghost from Season 1 - Hide and Seek

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Its the ghost from Season 1 - Hide and Seek

I doubt that very much.

wise one
March 16th, 2008, 03:09 PM
it better be some ancient who downloaded its mind in some machine that interacts like maybe an ancient done it in the return when the asurans were coming

Steve_the_Wraith
March 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
The future Rodney Hologram included a copy of himself in the data he gave sheppard and now he has infected modern day atlantis!

Cree
March 17th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Wow, I'm perfectly split between leaning toward ciannwn and AscendedTauri's explanation (which I've linked together because it could be one and the same, with facts like that) and Platschu's. I'm not sure which I'd want to see more -- in part because I've never been overly thrilled with the Asuran storyline, and we've had a lot of on-base mishaps of vaguely similar nature take place before. Which would propel the story forward more? Probably the former, but I'm starting to think it's going to be what ciannwn said here:

For some reason, that's just 'clicking' with me. It seems like an... Atlantean thing to do.

That to me just seems a bit too Star Trek. I'd much rather it be the asurans ascension story line or the return from the ghost thing from season 1 but i doubt that bit!

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM

You're never going to let that one go are you? :P

Xeon_1
March 17th, 2008, 07:32 AM
The future Rodney Hologram included a copy of himself in the data he gave sheppard and now he has infected modern day atlantis!

That would be hilarious

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
You're never going to let that one go are you? :P

huh? what did I do now? :P

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
huh? what did I do now? :P

I think you know the answer to that question :P :lol:

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think you know the answer to that question :P :lol:

LOL actually I don't... :P never mind ;)

MattSilver 3k
March 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Read the new spoilers for this ep... sounds good. Happy to see Fran again.

PG15
March 17th, 2008, 10:31 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!

I LOVE FRAN. :D

This episode has instantly become my most-anticipated. LIEK, EVAR.

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Read the new spoilers for this ep... sounds good. Happy to see Fran again.

Awsome! :D

Vala_M
March 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I just read the info now. Quite cool.

The best part is that
Fran is coming back! I never thought we'd see her again. She did she figure out how to Ascend in time? Nice to see that the good Asurans learned how to Ascend.

The worst part is probably going to be:
That they've recast Weir, again! I'm referencing the Jessica Stein thing for those of you who aren't familiar with that subject

Vala,

ussrelativity
March 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I wonder if they would help us at all against the Wraith.

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM
awesome news! :D

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
awesome news! :D

So much for that 'Save F.R.AN' campaign :P

TraK
March 17th, 2008, 11:05 PM
it wouldn't be that bad if jessica steen played weir again; she was, in fact, the original! i just wont like someone new person to play weir.

Oh, and WOOHOO for FRAN!

jenks
March 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I just read the info now. Quite cool.

The best part is that
Fran is coming back! I never thought we'd see her again. She did she figure out how to Ascend in time? Nice to see that the good Asurans learned how to Ascend.

The worst part is probably going to be:
That they've recast Weir, again! I'm referencing the Jessica Stein thing for those of you who aren't familiar with that subject

Vala,

If the replicators now exist as 'fields of energy' I don't think they'll need to recast her...

Vala_M
March 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
If the replicators now exist as 'fields of energy' I don't think they'll need to recast her...

Unless they don't speak either, they will need a voice actor/actress for the Asurans. Plus, can't the Ascended appear in human or in this case, humanoid-machine form?

Vala,

jenks
March 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM
They won't be ascended as such though, not if I'm understanding the article correctly anyway...

g.o.d
March 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Fran is back!!! Great!!!

g.o.d
March 18th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I hope she will say her innocent "Hello" :)

JohnRico
March 18th, 2008, 02:41 AM
They will probably have the Weir on the ship be a fake Weir & then Replicator Weir transforms into someone else. Thats pretty much the only plausible explanation on how to write Weir out & hello Fran

jenks
March 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I think people are seriously misreading the article, at no point does it say that Fran replaces Weir.

JohnRico
March 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I think people are seriously misreading the article, at no point does it say that Fran replaces Weir.

Obviously but I wouldn't complain ;)

g.o.d
March 18th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Obviously but I wouldn't complain ;)

me too. Fran is great. I would make her a regular cast

JohnRico
March 18th, 2008, 03:18 AM
me too. Fran is great. I would make her a regular cast

Or at least cast Michelle as a different character & hey its been done before

Prior_of_the_Ori
March 18th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Interesting plotline though sounds like its possible the Asurans might get axed in it... and if thats the case, then I can understand why Torri wouldnt want to come back just for one episode or so. Anyway, its episode five so not long to see what happens here.

MattSilver 3k
March 18th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Interesting plotline though sounds like its possible the Asurans might get axed in it... and if thats the case, then I can understand why Torri wouldnt want to come back just for one episode or so. Anyway, its episode five so not long to see what happens here.

Maybe TPTB are killing them off exactly two seasons after meeting them. Not fussed either way.

Killdeer
March 18th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Glad to see Fran coming back. I was hoping she would. I hope they don't make her evil - one of the things that was so cool about her was that she was so uncomplicated.

I'm withholding judgement on the Weir thing. I can't imagine how they're going to explain this one. :S

Professor Chaos
March 18th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Wow, I didn't know so many people liked Fran. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her again and wouldn't mind if she was made a permanent cast member. I don't know how realistic that is, but it would be a nice addition, IMO.

In fact, I'm going to go rewatch BAMSR right now.

reddevil18
March 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I am sooooooooo happy about Fran coming back! :)
I definately want her to open the door and say "Hello", in a similar fashion to BAMSR...

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 18th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I am sooooooooo happy about Fran coming back! :)
I definately want her to open the door and say "Hello", in a similar fashion to BAMSR...

yh that would be soooooo cool i am really glad she will be back

atfan
March 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Glad to see Fran coming back. I was hoping she would. I hope they don't make her evil - one of the things that was so cool about her was that she was so uncomplicated.

I'm withholding judgement on the Weir thing. I can't imagine how they're going to explain this one. :S

I hope not as well but I wonder if she will be out for revenge from Rodney her creator so to speak? Anyone have any ideas on this?

ciannwn
March 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I thought Fran was a very appealing character so I'll be happy to see her again.

I hope not as well but I wonder if she will be out for revenge from Rodney her creator so to speak? Anyone have any ideas on this?

I don't know why she should be out for revenge. She was quite looking forward to fulfilling her purpose and she was happy to do what she'd been created for even thought she knew she'd cease to exist.

Briangate78
March 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Well I think it will be smart to have FRAN return. I wanted this story arc to continue into something big, but now that Torri Higginson has parted ways with Stagate Atlantis, I feel one episode to wrap up the last 30 secs of BAMSR is more than enough. Let's move on to something else. Weir died in "Lifeline" and a clone of her died in "This Mortal Coil". The show must go on...

Linzi
March 18th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I'm glad about Fran too. I really liked her and the actress who portrayed her.

As far as Weir is concerned, I'll wait and see. For me, once Torri turned down the chance to reprise the role, for whatever reason, then that was that for me. I'm ready to accept whatever TPTB have planned, to be honest. I want to move on. :)

Briangate78
March 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'm glad about Fran too. I really liked her and the actress who portrayed her.

As far as Weir is concerned, I'll wait and see. For me, once Torri turned down the chance to reprise the role, for whatever reason, then that was that for me. I'm ready to accept whatever TPTB have planned, to be honest. I want to move on. :)

Yup, I planned also to move on, and hopefully this episode will end the story arc and we can move onto something else. The show must go on. After watching the 2nd half of Season 4, the show is doing fine, IMO. lol and ratings wise too. ;)

Killdeer
March 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I don't want them to recast Weir. I'd rather them just explain away her absence somehow and move on with different characters.

I guess we'll see what they do.

jenks
March 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM

The script wasn't discussed, she refused outright.

Briangate78
March 18th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't want them to recast Weir. I'd rather them just explain away her absence somehow and move on with different characters.

I guess we'll see what they do.

Yup, that is all I want. A closure to "BAMSR". I think adding FRAN was an excellent move by TPTB.

The script wasn't discussed, she refused outright.

Yup, Joe M did not even tell her a "title" let alone a script or story idea. :S

Darren
March 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
FRAN for Stargate Universe! :)

I am seriously excited to see her back. Michelle Morgan is just fantastic, and the character is intriguing. My main problem with BAMSR is that there wasn't time to explore her character and her sacrifice (a la Hugh in TNG's "I, Borg").

Briangate78
March 18th, 2008, 02:40 PM

I am seriously excited to see her back. Michelle Morgan is just fantastic, and the character is intriguing. My main problem with BAMSR is that there wasn't time to explore her character and her sacrifice (a la Hugh in TNG's "I, Borg").

I know you were saying that FRAN was a missed opportunity, but looks like there was an opportunity after all. :) I think people are going to want closure after "BAMSR" with the Weir thing. I just wish the Actress would of said yes and perhaps this could of been one episode leading into many others ones. Oh well.

Linzi
March 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM

She seeems a very popular character, Darren. I'm glad TPTB have decided to bring her back. Most people seem most pleased about this decision. :)

ACharmedAsgard
March 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
She seeems a very popular character, Darren. I'm glad TPTB have decided to bring her back. Most people seem most pleased about this decision. :)

I'm glad Fran has returned.

When I first saw her and her character was introduced I thought "Finally a good replicator! One that is not only nice (In many ways ;) ) but also someone with a good knowledge of Ancient technology to help us!"

Then she was destroyed :(

But she's back!

nebulan
March 18th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I know it's not really clear yet whether FRAn will be "host" to Weir's energy or anything yet, but I, frankly, am really excited to have Weir back, no matter who she's played by! (please note the sig linked in my sig "Blonde Weir is better than no Weir")

I'd be irritated if the writers once again gave us another fake Weir (anyone else ever wonder what happened to the Nani!team? We didn't see them die... but then again, we didn't see Ford die either...), but it looks like this isn't our Weir. If she's really our Weir, than she's not full replicator and wouldn't be able to ascend like the other replicators. She'd have to ascend like humans ascend, I would assume... but if she did, Rodney would be very proud of her ;)

so... which actress for Weir? (pics)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/nebulan/mw/tao/22-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/nebulan/mw/BlondeWeir/sg1-7x21-2566.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/nebulan/miscThumbs/replicarter/bamsr0743.jpg

me, I'm down with any... heck I'll take the characters talking to thin air (ala "200")

Platschu
March 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
What if they want to ascend to attack the Ancients on higher levels? That would be cool! :weiranime42:

GoSpikey
March 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
What if they want to ascend to attack the Ancients on higher levels? That would be cool! :weiranime42:

I sometimes wonder what it would be like, should some replicators be able to ascend, and some Wraith do too. That means the Ancients and the Ori have two new partners to play cards with...?

So, are we to assume having John Sheppard in this galaxy now has made him a Replicator magnet? Or would they have stayed away if only Michael had had Teyla's baby to do his experimenting with?

Or, if they defeated (?) the Replicators, it should be on that crystal Holo!Rodney has given John, you know, the one with all the info on it? Carson's cure should be on there, too? He's back very quickly (The Seed, I think?)...

*Sigh*

:mckay:

Killdeer
March 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM
More spoilers from Stargate Solutions:

http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/blog/?p=1213

Here's a quote, but visit that page for the whole article.

Those in Atlantis are surprised to find that the ghost of Elizabeth Weir lives on — in a new body that looks just like FRAN (Friendly Replicator ANdroid from “Be All My Sins Remember’d”)!Hmm. Not sure what I think about that. I liked FRAN a lot, but I liked her as a separate character.

Fenrir Foxz
March 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM

Those in Atlantis are surprised to find that the ghost of Elizabeth Weir lives on — in a new body that looks just like FRAN (Friendly Replicator ANdroid from “Be All My Sins Remember’d”)!
Hmm. Not sure what I think about that. I liked FRAN a lot, but I liked her as a separate character.

Thanks for the spoiler and link Killdeer :)

kymeric
March 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM

SECONDED!

Shes cute as a button and sweet while being smart. Like a pretty lt. data XD

Jackie
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I know it's not really clear yet whether FRAn will be "host" to Weir's energy or anything yet, but I, frankly, am really excited to have Weir back, no matter who she's played by! (please note the sig linked in my sig "Blonde Weir is better than no Weir")

I'd be irritated if the writers once again gave us another fake Weir (anyone else ever wonder what happened to the Nani!team? We didn't see them die... but then again, we didn't see Ford die either...), but it looks like this isn't our Weir. If she's really our Weir, than she's not full replicator and wouldn't be able to ascend like the other replicators. She'd have to ascend like humans ascend, I would assume... but if she did, Rodney would be very proud of her ;)

so... which actress for Weir? (pics)

me, I'm down with any... heck I'll take the characters talking to thin air (ala "200")

there is no dr. repi or other form of weir coming back. Not on or off screen...tptb have already stated they will do the arc without weir...means no character guys. Not just "no actress." Only a few dropped lines about the former leader her and there.

Killdeer
March 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
there is no dr. repi or other form of weir coming back. Not on or off screen...tptb have already stated they will do the arc without weir...means no character guys. Not just "no actress." Only a few dropped lines about the former leader her and there.

Weir's "ghost" will be appearing in the episode, inhabiting FRAN, according to the spoilers.

jenks
March 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM

Hmm. Not sure what I think about that. I liked FRAN a lot, but I liked her as a separate character.

Eh, I don't like the sound of that either. :(

Elitenova
March 18th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I like the Weir in the lost city, she is much better than Torri Higginson. Torri is so skinny and bony. The Weir in the Lost City is hot and can put more on the table. Did you know she starred in Armegeddon with Bruce Willis, why cant Bruce Willis guest star as hard core Marine who gets the job done and recruited by Sheppard to replace Teyla.

Uncle Tobias
March 18th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Did you know she starred in Armegeddon with Bruce Willis, why cant Bruce Willis guest star as hard core Marine who gets the job done and recruited by Sheppard to replace Teyla.

Because endless unresolved sexual/romantic tension between Sheppard and Bruce Willis would not be as good for ratings as with Teyla. Probably.

Fenrir Foxz
March 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Because endless unresolved sexual/romantic tension between Sheppard and Bruce Willis would not be as good for ratings as with Teyla. Probably.

:lol: Not sure I would want to see it either :P

xSFx
March 18th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hallowed are the Frans! and Fran's fan's :)) OMFG! :D:D:D
It's ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE!
http://stargate.mgm.com/images/stills/still1193943030.jpg

*goes nuts and jumps around*

Fenrir Foxz
March 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
It's ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE!

Someone's definately happy with the news :P

Killdeer
March 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM

There is no unresolved sexual/romantic tension between Sheppard and Teyla. :( At least in my opinion.

Not that I would want Bruce Willis. And they couldn't afford him anyway. :)

jenks
March 18th, 2008, 10:44 PM
It's ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE!

I wouldn't get your hopes up, we'll be getting Michelle Morgan but no Fran it seems...

Ruined_puzzle
March 18th, 2008, 10:49 PM
There is no unresolved sexual/romantic tension between Sheppard and Teyla. :( At least in my opinion.

I agree.:D

Fenrir Foxz
March 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM

I agree.:D

Yup I agree aswell :P

Linzi
March 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM

Thank you, Killdeer, for the link. I hadn't seen those spoilers.

I actually feel this is a pretty good idea. It could work well for me, I think. I actually like the sound of this, and how they've adapted the story. :)

:lol: Shep and Bruce Willis? :eek:

:lol: Not sure I would want to see it either :P

Me neither!

nebulan
March 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM
uh.... am I the only one who wants to see Unresolved Sexual Tension between McKay and Fran? :P

Fenrir Foxz
March 19th, 2008, 05:13 AM
uh.... am I the only one who wants to see Unresolved Sexual Tension between McKay and Fran? :P

I was more under the impression that there was something between FRAN and Zelenka :P

His reaction at her innocent sounding "Hello" says it all ;) :P

g.o.d
March 19th, 2008, 05:28 AM
such an idiotic idea! I wonder who is responsible for this.

They managed to ruin two unique characters in one episode.

Chrysalis
March 19th, 2008, 05:32 AM
such an idiotic idea! I wonder who is responsible for this.

They managed to ruin two unique characters in one episode.

Nicely said. I'd green you if I could, but I'm out. They've already destroyed Weir a couple of times over and now they decide to destroy a new character also in this episode, by making her something she's not.

Great. Not.

Klenotka
March 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM

What a stupid idea! They will ruin two characters! Fran was awesome as Fran, as a separate character. That made her unique and I really liked her. Elizabeth is gone, it´s horrible and I hate it but hell, when she is gone, so let her be gone. I think they might have come with something else. *Our* Elizabeth is dead anyway so they might say that she is just dead. They never had problems with killing characters off-screen so why to stop now, when it, ironically, made sense. :rolleyes:
This means that the actress, who plays Fran, will have to take over Torri´s manners? Come on people!

And the episode looked so good :(

ciannwn
March 19th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Fran was awesome as Fran, as a separate character. That made her unique and I really liked her. (

Have to agree here. I was looking forward to seeing Fran as Fran.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
March 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Hey, this means that Weir is actually in the storyline instead of mysteriously disappearing, so I'm happy.

g.o.d
March 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Hey, this means that Weir is actually in the storyline instead of mysteriously disappearing, so I'm happy.

but is it really worth of it? at what cost?:S

they'll ruin two characters. I liked Fran being Fran. And they will force her to be someone else.

Briangate78
March 19th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Hmmmm the GW spoilers and the SG-1 Solutions spoilers seem to contradict eachother. I think it is FRAN who tells what happened to Weir and what they have been up to. I don't think FRAN will be Weir.

If Torri would of just said yes then we would not have to have worried about this. :S They could have even made this into a major story arc. I just hope this is the last episode, it's time to put it to rest and move onto something bigger. Like the new enemies! :)

Killdeer
March 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Hmmmm the GW spoilers and the SG-1 Solutions spoilers seem to contradict eachother. I think it is FRAN who tells what happened to Weir and what they have been up to. I don't think FRAN will be Weir.

I don't think they contradict each other. The Solutions spoilers just give more info. But I didn't see anything in the GW spoilers that would negate the Solutions spoilers.

Jackie
March 19th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Weir's "ghost" will be appearing in the episode, inhabiting FRAN, according to the spoilers.

If Torri would of just said yes then we would not have to have worried about this. :S They could have even made this into a major story arc. I just hope this is the last episode, it's time to put it to rest and move onto something bigger. Like the new enemies! :)

I do recall reading on gw that the with TH decision not to return, "the story line would continue without weir."

Koracen, a Replicator scientist on Weir's ship, believes he has found a way to reach a digital equivalent of ascension (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/miscellany/links/ascension.shtml). Their consciousnesses will be enabled to exist indefinitely as fields of energy. As such beings they can essentially upload their minds to subspace and let their nanite bodies disintegrate, allowing them to move freely about the galaxy at will.

Lia, another Replicator, is understandably skeptical. But Koracen has a willing volunteer, and demonstrates the procedure.

Later, in Atlantis, the team works furiously to regain access to a room they have been locked out of. Colonel Sheppard (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/links/sheppardjohn.shtml) orders two officers to retrieve heavy arms and explosives to blow the sealed door, but there is no need. The door suddenly opens, and Sheppard and his team are shocked by the familiar face which greets them.

It is Fran (Michelle Morgan), the "Friendly Replicator ANdroid" engineered by Dr. McKay (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/links/mckayrodney.shtml) last year ("Be All My Sins Remember'd"). Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis. And their leader is someone very, very close to the Atlantis team: Elizabeth Weir herself.

It does not say anywhere here that FRAN is Weir. It says she will be the replicator the atlantis teams sees. Not that she has wier's ghost in her.

Weir will not be played by actress Torri Higginson, who turned down the offer to appear in the episode (story (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/02/higginson_out_for_season_five.shtml)). Instead the script was rewritten so that the cliffhanger could be resolved and the story continued without her.

The existence of disembodied Replicator consciousnesses in the episode may go a long way in explaining just how this science fiction feat will be accomplished -- if the Weir from "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was, in fact, a Replicator duplicate and not the human Weir, who the Replicators claimed had been killed ("This Mortal Coil" (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s4/410.shtml)).

Knowing that it has been announced that the the replicator story line will continue without weir...why do people draw so many long shot conclusions.

Briangate78
March 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think they contradict each other. The Solutions spoilers just give more info. But I didn't see anything in the GW spoilers that would negate the Solutions spoilers.

SG-1 solutions is saying FRAN is Weir, where as GW is saying their leader is Weir-like. So it sounds pretty different to me. :S

Killdeer
March 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
It does not say anywhere here that FRAN is Weir. It says she will be the replicator the atlantis teams sees. Not that she has wier's ghost in her.

Solutions is the one who said that Elizabeth's consciousness will be in FRAN. GW didn't give that much detail.

Those in Atlantis are surprised to find that the ghost of Elizabeth Weir lives on — in a new body that looks just like FRAN (Friendly Replicator ANdroid from “Be All My Sins Remember’d”)!

Briangate78
March 19th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Solutions is the one who said that Elizabeth's consciousness will be in FRAN. GW didn't give that much detail.

Yeah but GW does not say that. Is FRAN Weir or not?

Killdeer
March 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
SG-1 solutions is saying FRAN is Weir, where as GW is saying their leader is Weir-like. So it sounds pretty different to me. :S

Yeah but GW does not say that. Is FRAN Weir or not?

This is what GW said (copied from the front page):http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/03/first_details_on_ghost_in_the_ma.shtml

The door suddenly opens, and Sheppard and his team are shocked by the familiar face which greets them.

It is Fran (Michelle Morgan), the "Friendly Replicator ANdroid" engineered by Dr. McKay last year ("Be All My Sins Remember'd"). Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis. And their leader is someone very, very close to the Atlantis team: Elizabeth Weir herself.

Weir will not be played by actress Torri Higginson, who turned down the offer to appear in the episode (story). Instead the script was rewritten so that the cliffhanger could be resolved and the story continued without her. I read "her" as meaning Torri, not Elizabeth.

The existence of disembodied Replicator consciousnesses in the episode may go a long way in explaining just how this science fiction feat will be accomplished.

This seems to correlate the Solutions spoilers to me, not contradict. GW just doesn't go that extra step in spelling out that FRAN will have Weir's "ghost" in her.

Lythisrose
March 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I'm a bit confused. Is this the same FRAN who became the center of the blob in BAMSR? So somehow she ended up on replicator Wier's ship? Or a new incarnation made by the Atlantis Ancient equipment? Either way, would she have the memories of the BAMSR FRAN? Or the same programming? I kinda think she is a new original FRAN and so her personality/program could be anything they want. But I'd love to see the door open and her to just say "Hello." :)

Professor Chaos
March 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I think FRAn/Weir will return in a Tok'ra sort of way, 2 minds in 1 body. Weir ascended to some sort of energy, so FRAn knowing she is a friend of McKay's let's her use her body to communicate with them. I would be pretty pissed if they replaced FRAn with Weir, but I don't think they are. Weir will most likely 'ascend' again once she's done communicating whatever it is she came to communicate.

Briangate78
March 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I think FRAn/Weir will return in a Tok'ra sort of way, 2 minds in 1 body. Weir ascended to some sort of energy, so FRAn knowing she is a friend of McKay's let's her use her body to communicate with them. I would be pretty pissed if they replaced FRAn with Weir, but I don't think they are. Weir will most likely 'ascend' again once she's done communicating whatever it is she came to communicate.

It could be interesting and it could be a good way for the team to say goodbye to Weir. Still, I think they need to end this arc and move onto something else. If the real Weir was apart of this it would be a different story, imo.

Eri13
March 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM

If Torri would of just said yes then we would not have to have worried about this. :S They could have even made this into a major story arc. I just hope this is the last episode...

I hope not. I think they're writing this in as a way to resolve the BAMSR cliffhanger because so many people, mostly casual viewers, will be expecting "Weir" to return. You had two choices when Torri chose to not return; either leave it hanging or resolve it another way.

It seems to me Fran is a 'perfect' way to resolve it--if there are still nanites in Atlantis, then the downloaded consciousness of the replicators can reformulate Fran using McKay's research when he created her the first time. It would make complete sense as to why it was her form that they could create corporeally--the data used to make her is already in the Atlantis system. Easy peasy, Fran inherits Weir's consciousness in order to speak to the others.

However, this is not the way to say 'goodbye' to Weir. They already did that in "Lifeline" and "This Mortal Coil", with Torri. As far as Atlantis is concerned, she's already dead. If you're going to re-introduce the concept of the conscious Weir being out there somewhere, then keep her in stasis or VR or something else that leaves her life hanging, not deleted. I hope the ending that was supposed to potentially feed into the S6 arc remains--even if it is forever unresolved, there is always the potential to come back. With Carl Binder writing the story, I'm hoping that's the case.

I haven't really knocked TPTB because what they choose to do with their characters and story is their choice. I will lose respect for them, however if they do final goodbyes without the actress who developed that character over three years, because that seems spiteful. Whatever happened on the business end after, they fired Torri first. That should never be forgotten or debased as though it doesn't matter. I do think the same, in a way, of Jessica Steen, but Torri developed Elizabeth for three years, not two episodes. What she contributed to make the character what it was over the first three seasons deserves to be respected, and as a fan I do not appreciate the idea of Weir's last goodbye being to Fran!

Linzi
March 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I hope not. I think they're writing this in as a way to resolve the BAMSR cliffhanger because so many people, mostly casual viewers, will be expecting "Weir" to return. You had two choices when Torri chose to not return; either leave it hanging or resolve it another way.

It seems to me Fran is a 'perfect' way to resolve it--if there are still nanites in Atlantis, then the downloaded consciousness of the replicators can reformulate Fran using McKay's research when he created her the first time. It would make complete sense as to why it was her form that they could create corporeally--the data used to make her is already in the Atlantis system. Easy peasy, Fran inherits Weir's consciousness in order to speak to the others.

I agree. This sounds promising, I think, considering Torri isn't available. I want some sort of resolution to the storyline because I hate it when things are left hanging. I like resolution.

The interesting thing for me though, actresses aside, is the sort of moral dillemma. When is someone a person and when is someone not? If memories are present in another form, another body, is it still the original person, just dismembodied? Or is the body most important?

However, this is not the way to say 'goodbye' to Weir. They already did that in "Lifeline" and "This Mortal Coil", with Torri. As far as Atlantis is concerned, she's already dead. If you're going to re-introduce the concept of the conscious Weir being out there somewhere, then keep her in stasis or VR or something else that leaves her life hanging, not deleted. I hope the ending that was supposed to potentially feed into the S6 arc remains--even if it is forever unresolved, there is always the potential to come back. With Carl Binder writing the story, I'm hoping that's the case.

I haven't really knocked TPTB because what they choose to do with their characters and story is their choice. I will lose respect for them, however if they do final goodbyes without the actress who developed that character over three years, because that seems spiteful. Whatever happened on the business end after, they fired Torri first. That should never be forgotten or debased as though it doesn't matter. I do think the same, in a way, of Jessica Steen, but Torri developed Elizabeth for three years, not two episodes. What she contributed to make the character what it was over the first three seasons deserves to be respected, and as a fan I do not appreciate the idea of Weir's last goodbye being to Fran!

I think I said goodbye to Weir in TMC, because that when I found out that she was dead, I mean the human form of her and all. Now as I said above, I'm just not sure whether the memories or consciousness of someone, if that's what this turns out to be, what's in the physical replicator form of Fran, mean it's Weir or not. Does that make sense? :confused:

SGFerrit
March 19th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I think it will be the real Weir. After 'ascending' with her Asuran posse, made possible through the fact that she is now part Asuran herself, she needs to come to Atlantis in one way or another. Because this form of 'ascension' desn't allow the being/thing to take a new corpreal form, Weir re-creates FRAN and uses her to channel herself and tell the Atlantis personell what she needs to. That sounds like what will happen, to me anyway:)

BubblingOverWithIdeas
March 19th, 2008, 11:13 AM
but is it really worth of it? at what cost?:S

they'll ruin two characters. I liked Fran being Fran. And they will force her to be someone else.

It's not like Fran as Fran was a performance of Oscar level proportions, she was there for a single purpose which was fulfilled. If the actress can be Weir convincingly, then Weir will not be ruined.

I think it will be the real Weir. After 'ascending' with her Asuran posse, made possible through the fact that she is now part Asuran herself, she needs to come to Atlantis in one way or another. Because this form of 'ascension' desn't allow the being/thing to take a new corpreal form, Weir re-creates FRAN and uses her to channel herself and tell the Atlantis personell what she needs to. That sounds like what will happen, to me anyway:)

I agree. I also think that this Weir, the one we saw at the end of BAMSR, is the real one instead of a clone. Either Oberoth lied about killing her, or her consciousness hid in the Asuran VR world and transferred into a replicator body.

atfan
March 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I agree. This sounds promising, I think, considering Torri isn't available. I want some sort of resolution to the storyline because I hate it when things are left hanging. I like resolution
I prefer resolution as well something we did not get with SG-1 although AOT wraps up the Ori thing, Threads left a lot of unanswered questions.

The interesting thing for me though, actresses aside, is the sort of moral dillemma. When is someone a person and when is someone not? If memories are present in another form, another body, is it still the original person, just dismembodied? Or is the body most important?

This is interesting to me as well and was explored on SG-1 but not so much on Atlantis. Was ascended Daniel still Daniel?

I think I said goodbye to Weir in TMC, because that when I found out that she was dead, I mean the human form of her and all. Now as I said above, I'm just not sure whether the memories or consciousness of someone, if that's what this turns out to be, what's in the physical replicator form of Fran, mean it's Weir or not. Does that make sense? :confused:

I agree she was given a better goodbye than Janet or Carson at any rate.
If just the information from Weir is there (the whole collective thing) that would be cool Fran could learn about her creators so to speak and I wouldn't think that would reflect badly on either TPTB or Torri to have that kind of senario. Weir could influence Fran through her memories and experiences on
Atlantis.

Killdeer
March 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I agree she was given a better goodbye than Janet or Carson at any rate.

Can't say I agree on that point. Both Carson and Janet had memorial services and there was closure on their stories (although yes, Clone!Carson is coming back). But Weir was killed offscreen and there was just a mention of Sheppard having her stuff shipped back to earth. That...didn't work real well for me as far as saying goodbye to the character.

jenks
March 19th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Nicely said. I'd green you if I could, but I'm out. They've already destroyed Weir a couple of times over and now they decide to destroy a new character also in this episode, by making her something she's not.

Great. Not.

I agree with you to be honest, if it turns out that they really have just put Weir consciousness in Frans body.

Infinatus
March 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Very interesting. One must also wonder if each time someone steps through the stargate they are unknowingly killed and replaced with an exactly identical copy of themselves. After all, the device dematerializes people and then rearranges their basic particles to make them whole again. The question is: just because they think, act and even believe it's the person who originally walked through the gate, is it really them?

Ltcolshepjumper
March 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Very interesting. One must also wonder if each time someone steps through the stargate they are unknowingly killed and replaced with an exactly identical copy of themselves. After all, the device dematerializes people and then rearranges their basic particles to make them whole again. The question is: just because they think, act and even believe it's the person who originally walked through the gate, is it really them?

Interesting. the question is, does the gate store more than just energy patterns? In order for it not to kill the individual, it would have to store the individual's consciousness as well.

Anjirika
March 20th, 2008, 04:06 PM
So, I've been avoiding Atlantis like a plauge since Torri and the wonderful character of Elizabeth was so unceramoniously dumped off the show, but I have to say now I wish that I had a little bit more faith in TPTB. I mean this is going to be an AMAZING plot device...and if Torri does ever decide to come back well, the plot device is in place to allow her to do so.

And I get the sense that the team is going to know that she's alive, which is a-okay by me I mean it's the same as Jack being away or Hammond. Hardly on the show but alive out there somewhere...better then being dead any case.

Oh, and in terms of what makes a person a person I have got to say that so long as one has the memories and the feelings and the thought patterns of a person then they are that person. Repli!Weir from 'Mortal Coil' was essentially Elizabeth in my eyes... Clone!Carson is Carson, not OUR Carson but Carson none-the-less and nothing about him diminishes that.

So, ascended Daniel was still Daniel because he thought like Daniel. The Weir who's in charge of the Asurans is still our Weir, the Repli!Weir was Elizabeth, Clone! Carson is Carson...etc.

Case and point- I wish that Torri had agreed to do this episode because could you imagine the reunion scene??? *plot bunny* Oh- that would be perfect! *scurries off to write*

Vala_M
March 20th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I hope that the Ascended Asurans or at least FRAN actually tell Atlantis how to make ZPM's, now that the Asurans are all gone as of "Be All My Sins Remember'd", the only source of ZPM's is old ones the Ancients left over and it seems that Atlantis has become over critical of saving the ZPM now, they went back to using Naqahdah generators and they were overly-dependent on the Midway Space Station. It seems that they can't or won't use the Asgard core to make ZPM's although I'm sure it could if it could make all those other things and Replicators.

Vala,

ciannwn
March 21st, 2008, 03:08 AM
I hope that the Ascended Asurans or at least FRAN actually tell Atlantis how to make ZPM's,

Even if the expedition learned how to do it there would be some reason why they couldn't. TPTB don't let them keep any ZPM's for long because it would make them too powerful for the resident bad guys to be any kind of threat.

Malakriss
March 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
Even if the expedition learned how to do it there would be some reason why they couldn't. TPTB don't let them keep any ZPM's for long because it would make them too powerful for the resident bad guys to be any kind of threat.

Like how the Ancients were too powerful for the resident bad guys? Granted, we were only dealing with the leftover fragments of Wraith culture, but three ZPM powered ships and a city isn't going to do much when we have no major manufacturing infrastructure in either galaxy.

ciannwn
March 21st, 2008, 07:14 AM
Like how the Ancients were too powerful for the resident bad guys? Granted, we were only dealing with the leftover fragments of Wraith culture, but three ZPM powered ships and a city isn't going to do much when we have no major manufacturing infrastructure in either galaxy.

The same could be said for all four seasons. Any ZPM they got hold of didn't last long, though. We have to ask ourselves why TPTB don't allow the scriptwriters to provide the expedition with fully functioning ZPMs.

GoSpikey
March 21st, 2008, 11:59 AM
The same could be said for all four seasons. Any ZPM they got hold of didn't last long, though. We have to ask ourselves why TPTB don't allow the scriptwriters to provide the expedition with fully functioning ZPMs.

If we're lucky, it's on that crystal that Rodney gave Sheppard... And so they can move on to the next threat and the more Wraith will be alive... :D

ciannwn
March 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
If we're lucky, it's on that crystal that Rodney gave Sheppard...

Everyone in Pegasus then unites to fight the mysterious Powers That Be who never let them have what they want. :D

Lt. Ford
March 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
Ghost in the Machine. Hmm, that was a pretty good Starscream episode back in the day of Transformers in the 80's.

Anyways, I just can't wait to see Fran again. She's hot as hell.

GoSpikey
March 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
Ghost in the Machine. Hmm, that was a pretty good Starscream episode back in the day of Transformers in the 80's.

*Wished she still remembered that show*

I do know I've watched it, because I also watched Beast Wars, and there was a Transformer in it, and he made that certain sound, and that made a very loud bell ring. :D

Briangate78
March 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM

Was that in the first season? I just picked up the first season. Yes, a blast from the past. They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Pegasus_SGA
March 22nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
I can't wait to see McKay's face when he sees F.R.A.N. :lol: Do we know if we actually see her, or if it's just her voice in the machine?

GoSpikey
March 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Was that in the first season? I just picked up the first season. Yes, a blast from the past. They don't make cartoons like they used to.

Nope, they definitely don't anymore. Transformers, Spiderman, X-Men, Thundercats...

:)

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM
I can't wait to see McKay's face when he sees F.R.A.N. :lol: Do we know if we actually see her, or if it's just her voice in the machine?

I'm pretty sure that we'll see her

GoSpikey
March 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM

Seeing as that's the whole point of Torri not being there... Bring Fran back in... Oh brother...

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
Seeing as that's the whole point of Torri not being there... Bring Fran back in... Oh brother...

yeah that's what I thought too

Pegasus_SGA
March 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM

I'm not particularly fond of the replicator storylines, but I really liked F.R.A.N, so i'm interested to see where she comes in, wasn't she swallowed up by the godzilla type blob? She was the magnet for them wasn't she? And the ground swallowed her up... So..... you know I got nothing. :lol:

Killdeer
March 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm not particularly fond of the replicator storylines, but I really liked F.R.A.N, so i'm interested to see where she comes in, wasn't she swallowed up by the godzilla type blob? She was the magnet for them wasn't she? And the ground swallowed her up... So..... you know I got nothing. :lol:

I highly doubt it will be the Fran we know. It will be another Fran, manufactured the same way that Rodney made the Fran we knew in BAMSR.

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
I highly doubt it will be the Fran we know. It will be another Fran, manufactured the same way that Rodney made the Fran we knew in BAMSR.

yes but it'll be the same actress so we should get some reaction from Rodney when (if?) he finds out

GoSpikey
March 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM
yes but it'll be the same actress so we should get some reaction from Rodney when (if?) he finds out

I just hope the actress can pull it off! If it's supposed to be Elizabeth, but she's not, how do you play her? Give her Elizabeth like qualities (can she pull that off, again?) or do you do something different, or do you use bits of her?

Hmpf.

Fenrir Foxz
March 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM

I'll be happy if we get another "Hello" from F.R.AN :D

Pegasus_SGA
March 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Oh that's a shame.... I liked her. :(

Killdeer
March 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Yes, so did I.

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I just hope the actress can pull it off! If it's supposed to be Elizabeth, but she's not, how do you play her? Give her Elizabeth like qualities (can she pull that off, again?) or do you do something different, or do you use bits of her?

Hmpf.

she's not supposed to be Weir, this replicator will just have have her memories

I'll be happy if we get another "Hello" from F.R.AN :D

indeed :D :P

Yes, so did I.

me too

Ruined_puzzle
March 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM

Source please?

So far I thought we didn't know anything in the regard if she is gong to FRAN, or Elizabeth or FRAN with Elizabeth's memories with her own memories.

Jumper_One
March 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Source please?

So far I thought we didn't know anything in the regard if she is gong to FRAN, or Elizabeth or FRAN with Elizabeth's memories with her own memories.

The existence of disembodied Replicator consciousnesses in the episode may go a long way in explaining just how this science fiction feat will be accomplished -- if the Weir from "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was, in fact, a Replicator duplicate and not the human Weir, who the Replicators claimed had been killed ("This Mortal Coil").
http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5/505.shtml

wheresmyfroggy
March 22nd, 2008, 09:20 PM

OOOOoooOOO! Jumper One, laying the smackdown of knowledge! ZING haha

I have officially been watching sports for too long at a time. Curse you March Madness!

andy tyler
March 22nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
I sometimes wonder what it would be like, should some replicators be able to ascend, and some Wraith do too. That means the Ancients and the Ori have two new partners to play cards with...?

What Ori? they're all dead?

Killdeer
March 23rd, 2008, 09:03 AM

What about this quote:

and this one:

Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis. And their leader is someone very, very close to the Atlantis team: Elizabeth Weir herself.
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/03/first_details_on_ghost_in_the_ma.shtml

To me it sounds like it will be Elizabeth's consciousness inside Fran's body. Fran will most likely be created so that Elizabeth could take on a physical form to communicate with the Atlantis team. So yes, I think FRAN will actually be Elizabeth.

Heaven
March 23rd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I have to admit the whole thing sounds kinda stupid

if they managed to ascend what's the point in coming to Atlantis
why can't they just stay out of everyone's way like all the other ascended do

the concept sounds interesting though, I hope they'll be like the energy creature from Hide and Seek or the green mist from Home

as much as I like Elizabeth though, it sounds like a retarded way to introduce a novel concept with so much potential.

PG15
March 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM

I guess you have to watch the episode to find out. ;)

PG15
March 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
A little something from the Ask BamBam thread:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7950224&postcount=3646

Celcool
March 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM

the concept sounds interesting though, I hope they'll be like the energy creature from Hide and Seek or the green mist from Home

as much as I like Elizabeth though, it sounds like a retarded way to introduce a novel concept with so much potential.

Agreed. The show will fall to new lows in season 5 as it seems. The question remains: how low can they still go after the disaster of season 4?

Jumper_One
March 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
What about this quote:

and this one:

To me it sounds like it will be Elizabeth's consciousness inside Fran's body. Fran will most likely be created so that Elizabeth could take on a physical form to communicate with the Atlantis team. So yes, I think FRAN will actually be Elizabeth.

good point ;) I think we'll find out that the Weir we saw at the end of BAMSR was in fact a replicator. they can change their appearance right? so in this ep this particular being chooses to look like FRAN but it will still have Weir's memories because they managed to download them somehow

if they managed to ascend

who said they managed to ascend? ;)

Koracen, a Replicator scientist on Weir's ship, believes he has found a way to reach a digital equivalent of ascension.

what's the point in coming to Atlantis

I guess you'll have to watch the ep

why?

I guess you have to watch the episode to find out. ;)

:indeed:

thanks, he confirms that this will in fact be a very interesting ep

Agreed. The show will fall to new lows in season 5 as it seems. The question remains: how low can they still go after the disaster of season 4?

I'm sorry but what new lows? you may not have liked this season but more people watched s4 than s3 ;)

Linzi
March 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
good point ;) I think we'll find out that the Weir we saw at the end of BAMSR was in fact a replicator. they can change their appearance right? so in this ep this particular being chooses to look like FRAN but it will still have Weir's memories because they managed to download them somehow

who said they managed to ascend? ;)

I guess you'll have to watch the ep

why?

:indeed:

thanks, he confirms that this will in fact be a very interesting ep

I'm sorry but what new lows? you may not have liked this season but more people watched s4 than s3 ;)
I agree! Season 4 was a disaster? Says who? The season finale of 4 equalled the season finale of season 3. So, they retained their audience? Hmmm, a real disaster then! :lol: Oh, and that's live + SD, not dvr's taken into account. ;) Sorry Brian! :)

Anyway, I've just heard new spoilers about GITM. I'm really excited about it now. Even more than before! :)

Pegasus_SGA
March 23rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
What about this quote:

and this one:

I read that to, that's why I thought F.R.A.N was appearing... now i'm just confused.

Maybe they're stuck between here and ascension? And can we have less of the retarded please that's not a very nice thing to say.

I saw, I got excited :D I wonder if it's from the script then as it's not been filmed yet. I honestly wasn't expecting much Shep in this, I thought this might be Rodney's baby.

that's a bit extreme Cel, based on one little line. How do we know if this ep is going to be good or bad, an arc or a standalone? This is only a teensy tiny bit of information, I know I got excited over the bambam bit, but haven't made my mind up about the ep, cos there's not much to go on at this stage. Is it the concept you're not fussed on?

Jumper_One
March 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
I agree! Season 4 was a disaster? Says who? The season finale of 4 equalled the season finale of season 3. So, they retained their audience? Hmmm, a real disaster then! :lol: Oh, and that's live + SD, not dvr's taken into account. ;) Sorry Brian! :)

we know First Strike pulled a 1.5 with just under 2 million viewers for live +sd and 2.2 million after live +7. TLM pulled a 1.5 and 2.1 million viewers for live +sd! overall both s3.5 and s4.5 averaged a 1.24 for live +sd. since rating points are worth more Atlantis not only managed to retain their audience but also attract new viewers ;)

Anyway, I've just heard new spoilers about GITM. I'm really excited about it now. Even more than before! :)

new spoilers?

Linzi
March 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
we know First Strike pulled a 1.5 with just under 2 million viewers for live +sd and 2.2 million after live +7. TLM pulled a 1.5 and 2.1 million viewers for live +sd! overall both s3.5 and s4.5 averaged a 1.24 for live +sd. since rating points are worth more Atlantis not only managed to retain their audience but also attract new viewers ;)

new spoilers?
Oh yes. It's a good episode for Shep, so says BamBam on his thread here!

I didn't realise more viewers had been attracted? Thanks, Jumper for the info! :)

Jumper_One
March 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
I read that to, that's why I thought F.R.A.N was appearing... now i'm just confused.

the replicators can change their appearances right? let's assume whatever we saw at the end of BAMSR was in fact a replicator and not the real Weir. they managed to download her memories into this replicator which happens to choose a new look - FRAN. that's about it imo

Maybe they're stuck between here and ascension?

it's possible but I don't think so

Integrabyte
March 23rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
So TPTB brought Casper on Atlantis? Casper in the Machine? :P

Jumper_One
March 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Oh yes. It's a good episode for Shep, so says BamBam on his thread here!

oh yeah I read that, sounds :D

I didn't realise more viewers had been attracted? Thanks, Jumper for the info! :)

we still don't know for sure because this is all based on the live +sd numbers (unfortunately the live +7 numbers aren't available right now) but it's very likely :)

Pegasus_SGA
March 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM
the replicators can change their appearances right? let's assume whatever we saw at the end of BAMSR was in fact a replicator and not the real Weir. they managed to download her memories into this replicator which happens to choose a new look - FRAN. that's about it imo

it's possible but I don't think so

I thought it was determined alread that it was repliweir, not our Weir. :S I still want to know how they dl'd the memories, as that could go some way to explain about

Kindredcarson, and he managed to get the memories. Is it possible that the replicators and the wraith are working together, given the similaries?

I loved Casper. :P

new spoilers?

You've been around Brian to long. :lol: He's rubbing off on you.

*luffs ya Brian* http://bestsmileys.com/kissing2/2.gif

Ruined_puzzle
March 23rd, 2008, 04:17 PM

LOL.

Killdeer
March 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM

I don't think it will be just a simple matter of her deciding to take another form. I think probably the Elizabeth in BAMSR loses her phyical body when the replicators figure out their own means of ascension (whether or not she was the real Elizabeth I have no clue). But somehow they run into a problem. So Elizabeth's disembodied consciousness comes to Atlantis and somehow manages to recreate Fran's body on the replicator machine that McKay used (which makes sense-that's the last thing that was programmed in). She then takes control of that body to communicate with the Atlantis team, either to ask for their help or to warn them about something.

That's all just my speculation though. :)

Jumper_One
March 23rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
I thought it was determined alread that it was repliweir, not our Weir. :S

it was? I think it's pretty clear that she had to have been a replicator

I still want to know how they dl'd the memories, as that could go some way to explain about

Kindredcarson, and he managed to get the memories. Is it possible that the replicators and the wraith are working together, given the similaries?

those are seperated issues imo. I think the first one will be explained in this ep. Michael must've used other means to transfer Carson's memories

You've been around Brian to long. :lol: He's rubbing off on you.

*luffs ya Brian* http://bestsmileys.com/kissing2/2.gif

and that'd be bad? :P err...that didn’t come out right :S

I don't think it will be just a simple matter of her deciding to take another form. I think probably the Elizabeth in BAMSR loses her phyical body when the replicators figure out their own means of ascension (whether or not she was the real Elizabeth I have no clue). But somehow they run into a problem. So Elizabeth's disembodied consciousness comes to Atlantis and somehow manages to recreate Fran's body on the replicator machine that McKay used (which makes sense-that's the last thing that was programmed in). She then takes control of that body to communicate with the Atlantis team, either to ask for their help or to warn them about something.

that's a VERY interesting speculation, honestly! I just read the GW ep description and it would make sense

Lia, another Replicator, is understandably skeptical. But Koracen has a willing volunteer, and demonstrates the procedure.

Later, in Atlantis, the team works furiously to regain access to a room they have been locked out of. Colonel Sheppard orders two officers to retrieve heavy arms and explosives to blow the sealed door, but there is no need. The door suddenly opens, and Sheppard and his team are shocked by the familiar face which greets them.

It is Fran...

also

Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis.
all of them?

the script was rewritten so that the cliffhanger could be resolved
will this be our last encounter with the replicators?

wheresmyfroggy
March 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
will this be our last encounter with the replicators?

One can only hope. :)

xSFx
March 24th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I guess we're going to see a nice reunion episode, where the replicators join their creators in everlasting love.

Integrabyte
March 24th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Any screenshots with Casper and his Atlantis uniform? :D

Fenrir Foxz
March 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Any screenshots with Casper and his Atlantis uniform? :D

You know something about this ep we don't? :P

Integrabyte
March 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
You know something about this ep we don't? :P

I'm shy :P

PG15
March 24th, 2008, 04:22 PM
A mention:

Back in the office tomorrow, and this is what the short week looks like: Production continues on The Daedalus Variations, most of which is being shot on the FX Stage. Prep continues on Ghost in the Machine. Ken Girotti, who will be directing GitM, also finishes up his director’s cut of Broken Ties, which means I‘ll be heading over to editing later in the week. Carl put out a first draft of Tracker late Wednesday so we should have notes for him first thing Tuesday morning. Or maybe third thing Wednesday afternoon. Paul is in editing, working on The Seed. Marty G. continues work on the still-unnamed mis-season two-parter, while Alan continues work on the Teyla-centric The Queen. The second round of network and studio notes should be coming my way on Whispers. And I’ll continue my leisurely meditations on episode 16.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/march-24-2008/

atfan
March 24th, 2008, 06:57 PM

new spoilers?

That is awesome I loved season four with a few exceptions but overall very good BAMSR and TLM my favorites Trio and Kindred I and II and Seer are runners up.

oh yeah I read that, sounds :D

we still don't know for sure because this is all based on the live +sd numbers (unfortunately the live +7 numbers aren't available right now) but it's very likely :)

A mention:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/march-24-2008/

PG15 strikes again how does he do it?

PG15
March 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I do it...by posting the exact same thing across 6 threads, but only with different lines bolded. :D

Jumper_One
March 24th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I do it...by posting the exact same thing across 6 threads, but only with different lines bolded. :D

:eek: now we know your secret :P

PG15
March 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Anyone who's observant enough would've realized that ages ago. :p

Listy
March 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Really interesting theory, it makes a lot of sense :)

Linzi
March 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Really interesting theory, it makes a lot of sense :)
Hi Listy!

I agree with you. Great ideas Kildeer :)

xSFx
March 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Someone PLEASE put me in a coma until SGA resumes. Life is not worth living in expectation this way!

jelgate
March 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Someone PLEASE put me in a coma until SGA resumes. Life is not worth living in expectation this way!

If you insist

*shows xSFx a pic of Linzi and Peg. Coma is made*

Not what was the topic?

Jumper_One
March 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
If you insist

*shows xSFx a pic of Linzi and Peg. Coma is made*

Not what was the topic?

GitM ;):D

PG15
March 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
A mention...

Two huge playback-heavy episodes in The Daedalus Variations and Ghost in the Machine will have that department on their toes for the next few weeks, while Brad has the waterfall situation under control. As predicted, we didn’t get around to giving Carl his notes on Tracker. Maybe tomorrow.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/march-25-2008-a-return-to-surreality/

PG15
April 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
Another mention:

Carl is prepping Ghost in the Machine.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/april-1-2008/

ussrelativity
April 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think it's next to be filmed.

PG15
April 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
A mention:

Rebekah writes: “Do you have any episodes in the can - or are they all still in varying stages of production? More importantly, my husband heard a rumor - which I know you will not confirm - but he was telling me that he heard that you all are killing off a “major” character.”

Answer: There are no finished episodes (we are still several months away from finals). At present, we are shooting episode 5 (Ghost in the Machine) and prepping episode 6 (The Shrine of Talus). As for that rumor…hunh. Interesting.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/april-5-2008-fans-feeling-fuelish-2-electric-boogaloo/

PG15
April 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Update:

Finally - production continues. Shooting now: Ghost in the Machine.

Lookit! It's FRAN!

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06181.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06180.jpg

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/april-11-2008-production-update/

Fenrir Foxz
April 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I'm shy :P

Update:

Lookit! It's FRAN!

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06181.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06180.jpg

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/april-11-2008-production-update/

Awsome :cool:

PG15
April 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hmmm...

This appeared on David Hewlett's twitter 6 hours ago:

"Finished Stargate Atlantis 'Ghost in the Machine'...'The Shrine" is up next!'

PG15
April 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
A mention from David Nykl:

I've just finished a nice six-day run out at the Bridge Studio [...] Two episodes in those six days: Ghost in the Machine and The Shrine. Some nice McKay/Zelenka scenes in there. Two great eppies too.

http://lettersfrompegasus.blogspot.com/2008/04/you-should-update-your-blog.html

GoSpikey
April 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hmmm...

This appeared on David Hewlett's twitter 6 hours ago:

"Finished Stargate Atlantis 'Ghost in the Machine'...'The Shrine" is up next!'

Seems like David is going to have a splendid week! :D

PG15
April 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Lookit! It's Fran (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06195.jpg)!!

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/april-17-2008-in-which-production-developments-are-discussed-fan-concerns-are-addressed-and-the-writer-bemoans-his-early-call/

ussrelativity
April 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Lookit! It's Fran (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/dsc06195.jpg)!!

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/april-17-2008-in-which-production-developments-are-discussed-fan-concerns-are-addressed-and-the-writer-bemoans-his-early-call/

I wonder if we will see her again past GitM. I certainly hope so.

Mitchell82
April 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM
A mention...

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/march-25-2008-a-return-to-surreality/

What does he mean by playback heavy?

PG15
April 18th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I think that means there's a lot of stuff appearing on computer screens and stuff, like sensor readouts or some such.

PG15
April 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM
A mention:

Hope writes: “I would like to know whether Teyla will be more involved with the different storylines in the coming Season 5?”

Answer: We’ll certainly see more of Teyla than we did in season four. As a fan of the character, you’ll no doubt love Search and Rescue, Broken Ties, and The Queen, and no doubt enjoy The Daedalus Variations, Ghost in the Machine, and The Shrine.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/28/april-28-2008-whispers-day-5/

PG15
June 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Wow, it's been a while. Ok, a mention:

I know Carl's working on a story this year called "Ghost in the Machine." There's just some great comic bits for Woolsey.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/sophomore_stride3.shtml

GoSpikey
June 4th, 2008, 05:15 PM
You said the same about Broken Ties... :mckay:

PG15
June 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Uh...

Tim the Technician writes: “After reading about the initial outlines of most of season 5, is ‘Monkey in the Control Room’ as you put before us the original title of Ghost in the Machine, The Prodigal or another episode of season 5?”

Answer: Monkey in the Control Room = Ghost in the Machine.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/june-7-2008-paris-named-frenchest-city-philadelphia-a-close-second/

GoSpikey
June 8th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I object to that! :mckay:

Calling my Mikey a Monkey. Unless Kanaan is still alive and in the group of Hybrids, but probably not. :lol:

g.o.d
June 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I object to that! :mckay:

Calling my Mikey a Monkey. Unless Kanaan is still alive and in the group of Hybrids, but probably not. :lol:

I think Kanaan will die in 501. He'll make an ultimate sacrifice in order to save his annoying wife and then "bye bye":)

GoSpikey
June 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Yes, I hope so too!!! There's no Kanaan in any other ep so far, from what we know! :lol:

Platschu
June 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, I hope so too!!! There's no Kanaan in any other ep so far, from what we know! :lol:
They should keep Kanaan as "fast food" for Todd. :P

GoSpikey
June 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
:)

jelgate
June 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
They should keep Kanaan as "fast food" for Todd. :PThats Kavannagh's job:P

GoSpikey
June 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Now, I know there's a Kavanagh in Stargate, but I do not know this 'Kavannagh' of whom you speak...

:P

You again *almost* got it, Jelly! :P

PG15
June 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
A mention:

Thornyrose writes: “ Do you have a secondary pile waiting in case you finish the main pile off early? […] Besides your books, do you have any plans for going to the movies, the theatre proper, or watching dvds? If so, which ones?”

Answer: Only my two days into hiatus and I suspect I may have underestimated by reading capacity. I’ll pick up some more titles on Wednesday since I’ll be dropping by the offices anyway to watch the Ghost in the Machine day one mix and the Broken Ties final mix, and begin discussions on Project Twilight.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/june-15-2008-court-rules-entrance-exams-discriminate-against-the-stupid-and-lazy/

prion
June 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
June 18

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/june-18-2008/

I settled in and worked on Remnants, rewriting the last McKay-Zelenka scene. At about 10:00 a.m., everyone else got in and we retired to the writers’ room for a quadruple feature: Broken Ties (Day 2 Mix - only two notes: 1. Pre-lap the tavern walla in the Ext. Village - Night establisher and, 2. Put the walla back in the Sheppard-Woolsey scene), Ghost in the Machine (Day 1 Mix - Overall a pretty good mix. A few ADR requests, a desire for a less instrumental CLANG off the top), and the mid-season two-parter First Contact and The Lost Tribe (Marty G.’s producer’s cut - Great! Can’t say enough good things about the Daniel-Rodney dynamic, loved the heist sequence, and couldn’t help but think that a certain scene is sure to have all those Todd-Woolsey shippers out there falling all over themselves).

PG15
June 26th, 2008, 06:50 PM
A little something from the new Martin Gero interview:

MG: [...] That being said, the whole final scene of "Be All My Sins Remember'd" is "Listen, they're kind of still alive, but in a much more manageable form because there's one ship left." That's got a very interesting story coming up in Season Five that Carl has written. Carl can tell you about that one.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/landmarks3.shtml

GoSpikey
June 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, ascended Asurans that infest Atlantis' computer system is 'manageable'.

I'm sure we'll have dealt with them 40 minutes later. :D

PG15
July 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Update:

Talk about Woolsey’s relationships with the other Atlantis characters this year and is there one character you’re especially enjoying seeing Woolsey interact with in season five so far?

Robert Picardo: [...] I don’t remember the number of it. Joe Mallozzi will have to help me out with it. But I think it’s Ghost in the Machine where Woolsey has to basically play his first poker hand.

When the chips are down and the danger is very high, he calls the bluff of the enemy and he’s clearly - we’ve never seen Woolsey be that kind of controlled and confident before.

And I think that that moment, kind of catches Dr. McKay’s attention as boy, this guy has something that we didn’t expect him to have.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/features/article_1415529.php/Robert_Picardo_and_Joe_Mallozzi_discuss_command_changes_on_Stargate_Atlantis?pag e=2

PG15
July 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
An interesting bit here...

I try to create what the writers have placed in front of me. I think they have very intelligently broad-stroked his development as a leader very quickly. There's another episode that happens early on, I think it's episode five, where he faces his first major crisis where he has to put on the poker face and call the enemy's bluff, in one of those very dramatic situations. And what was interesting for me as an actor is that it echoed completely an episode from season four where Col. Carter is making the call, and Woolsey panics and tries to assume control from her, tries to wrest -- tries to basically countermand her order ["The Seer" (4x08)].

And this time, because it was staged in exactly the same place, I walked to the same point on the set where I had "learned the lesson" from Carter, and I basically succeed in her game. It's like witnessing someone play a great hand of poker and saying, "Okay, now it's my turn." And I have to be so convincing, that I have to hide whatever fear or doubt or trepidation that I have, and win the day. So it was very nice, I think, in the way that it echoed, both in the writing and the playing and even the exact point on the set I was, that moment of discovery for him.

http://scifi.about.com/od/actors/a/SGAT_picardo_3.htm

PG15
July 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
From the "new" David Hewlett interview:

GW: What episode are you currently working on?

DH: We're currently working on "Ghost In The Machine." A lovely Police song, and now a fantastic episode of Atlantis.

GW: And you're bringing Fran back!

DH: We're bringing Fran back. Yeah! We're bringing a few things back ... which I'm sure I probably shouldn't say anything about. It definitely threw a number of curves at us.

It was fun to read because, you know, I like those episodes where you go, "What?! Oh my God!" And then you're eager to go to the next page. As opposed to the ones where you don't.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/brain_child.shtml

naamiaiset
July 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
from: tvaholic.com/2008/07/10/interview-with-robert-picardo-joseph-mallozzi-part-2-of-3/ (http://www.tvaholic.com/2008/07/10/interview-with-robert-picardo-joseph-mallozzi-of-stargate-atlantis-on-sci-fi-channel-part-2-of-3/)

He is an extraordinarily funny guy, not only in the show but with these wonderful characterizations that he sort of breaks into in between takes. I haven’t had a - I don’t think I’ve had like a - sort of a - necessarily a single pivotal moment with his character that leaps to mind.

But I think that there is a - I don’t remember the number of it. Joe will have - I’m sorry, Joe Mallozzi will have to help me out with it. But there is a - oh, I think I did get it. I think it’s “Ghost in the Machine” where Woolsey has to basically play his first poker hand.

When the chips are down and the danger is very high, he calls the bluff of the enemy and he’s clearly - we’ve never seen Woolsey be that kind of controlled and confident before.

And I think that that moment, I think, kind of catches Dr. McKay’s attention as boy, this guy has something that we didn’t expect him to have. And who else? Jason - what’s fun about relating to Jason as a character is because Ronon is set up as the man of few words and, you know, pure action.

He’s a natural contrast to Woolsey who is set up as a guy who can’t stop talking and is not very experienced in the real situations. So I’m looking forward to, you know, to - in fact, in one of the - I think the first show after the break, I have some very amusing scenes with Ronon where I’m trying to get him to file reports the way he’s supposed to and he hates to do that.

He hates to - obviously hates to write. He doesn’t even want to dictate the reports, you know. So I think that there are unique relationships developing between Woolsey and all the other principle characters that I think have a lot of room there for future growth.

naamiaiset
July 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
new pictures: http://dryope.livejournal.com/397960.html

Killdeer
July 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Wow. Is it just me, or does Michelle Morgan have Elizabeth's look down almost unnervingly well? *blinks* The head tilt, the way she holds her hands? I did a double-take when I saw those.

Ruined_puzzle
July 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Wow. Is it just me, or does Michelle Morgan have Elizabeth's look down almost unnervingly well? *blinks* The head tilt, the way she holds her hands? I did a double-take when I saw those.

That is totally what I thought but I didn't even notice the head tilt until now, all I was thinking was zomg she is holding her hands like Lizzie.

I think she did her homework. I give her an A+ until I hear/watch the episode. If I even bother to watch it.

Killdeer
July 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
That is totally what I thought but I didn't even notice the head tilt until now, all I was thinking was zomg she is holding her hands like Lizzie.

I think she did her homework. I give her an A+ until I hear/watch the episode. If I even bother to watch it.

I agree. Even the way they've done her makeup. It's just slightly surreal.

jelgate
July 23rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
This is on my list of potential great S5 episodes.

Killdeer
July 23rd, 2008, 07:35 PM
This is on my list of potential great S5 episodes.

LOL, yes, mine too. Hope it turns out that way. :) I'm looking forward to it.

SGFerrit
July 24th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I was thinking the same thing! This is a big weight on Michelle's shoulders, I really hope she does well. No doubt she will come in for some flack even if she does pull it off, but then that is usually what happens when a new actor/actress takes over a role. I hope people give her the benefit of the doubt and judge on her performance and don't let the loss of Torri affect their judgement, if she tries her best and does a good job then I think she deserves credit. I agree with Ruined_Puzzle, it certainly does look like she has done her homework.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season5/505-GhostInTheMachine/photos/normal_505_ghostinthemachine_06.jpg

She looks totally different to FRAN there IMO, I know that sounds weird but you can tell it's a different character.

GoSpikey
July 24th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Edit: Double post.

You're not supposed to 'edit' your double posts, you're supposed to delete them so your double post goes completely away, and the 'post count' gets lowered by one...

SGFerrit
July 24th, 2008, 06:09 AM
You're not supposed to 'edit' your double posts, you're supposed to delete them so your double post goes completely away, and the 'post count' gets lowered by one...

Oh! Thanks, I didn't know you could do that now. That makes things a lot easier:D

GoSpikey
July 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yup! :P

Mitchell82
July 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Indeed she does.