PDA

View Full Version : The casket

Othala08
February 12th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I watched this episode and something puzzled me; surely a wake is something that happens AFTER a person has been buried or cremated? It didn't make sense that the casket was still at the house while people were eating and drinking away. When Sheppard first arrived, it seemed that he was being criticized for missing the funeral and just turning up when he felt like it; then there he was in a room with the coffin. Continuity?

chensuu
February 14th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I watched this episode and something puzzled me; surely a wake is something that happens AFTER a person has been buried or cremated? It didn't make sense that the casket was still at the house while people were eating and drinking away. When Sheppard first arrived, it seemed that he was being criticized for missing the funeral and just turning up when he felt like it; then there he was in a room with the coffin. Continuity?

I'm not sure what religion the Sheppard's are...I did see what may be a Catholic priest in the background during one shot...but in the Catholic religion a wake precedes the funeral. It's a time to pay your respects to the family and say your last good-byes.:sheppard:

prion
February 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I was just sorta surprised the coffin was shut, but then they'd probably done a viewing earlier(?) and, well, you don't have to pay an extra to lie there and hope he doesn't sneeze ;)

chensuu
February 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I was just sorta surprised the coffin was shut, but then they'd probably done a viewing earlier(?) and, well, you don't have to pay an extra to lie there and hope he doesn't sneeze ;)

Yeah, I'm confused by the closed casket too. But this way all they had to do was pull some guys face out of a picture frame at Walmart!
:sheppard:

Rosehawk
February 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM

In many places in the US, wakes are held before the burial and then there is typically a lunch after the burial.

I think Sheppard was being critizied more for showing up after over 4 years with no contact with the family and his brother thinking that John was only interested in his Dad's will and not in his Dad. It must have been a doozy of a conflict that happened between John and his Dad.

I was just sorta surprised the coffin was shut, but then they'd probably done a viewing earlier(?) and, well, you don't have to pay an extra to lie there and hope he doesn't sneeze

Yeah, I'm confused by the closed casket too. But this way all they had to do was pull some guys face out of a picture frame at Walmart!
LOL.
It's possible that Shep's dad wanted a closed casket funeral. My neighbor was like that when she did peacefully of natural causes. She wanted a closed casket, she wanted people to remember her full of life, happy and talking! :)

nx01a
February 15th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Now I AM lost. You give out the food and heavy booze AFTER you've planted the deceased. You don't want flatulent drunks falling into the grave, now do you?

Odd.

reddevil18
February 16th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Now I AM lost. You give out the food and heavy booze AFTER you've planted the deceased. You don't want flatulent drunks falling into the grave, now do you?

Odd.
:lol:

Rosehawk
February 16th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Odd.
:lol:

I'm just guessin here that a Wake has different meanings in different places :P