PDA

View Full Version : "The Daedalus Variations" (504) Pre-Airing Discussion/Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PG15
February 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Writer: Alan McCullough
Director: Andy Mikita

---

Yeah, ok, that may not be a title (and if it were, it'd be a very weird one). I'll ask Joe tonight to clarify a bit. Anyway, source?

A final of Alan McCullough’s Daedalus Variations came out today and we shifted focus to Alan’s second - extreme Shep-whumpage - script, co-storied by Robert C. Cooper. With the writers’ strike hopefully over, Carl will finally be delivering his masterpiece which we’ll be fast-tracking into the #5 slot.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/february-11-2008-script-work-the-doctor-drops-in-and-that-deleted-conversation/

reddevil18
February 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, ok, that may not be a title (and if it were, it'd be a very weird one). I'll ask Joe tonight to clarify a bit. Anyway, source?

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/february-11-2008-script-work-the-doctor-drops-in-and-that-deleted-conversation/

Ooooh! Stargate's version of "Yesterday's Enterprise"!

Jumper_One
February 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Ooooh! Stargate's version of "Yesterday's Enterprise"!

that'd be awesome! :D

jelgate
February 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Do you think it will be on the Daedalus and feature Caldwell:lol:

Fenrir Foxz
February 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Sounds possible, I would like Caldwell to return in S5 :)

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM
that'd be awesome! :D

:indeed:

PG15
February 11th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I wonder...maybe this episode is where "myriad permutations are viewed from space" as per the spoiler poem...

Fenrir Foxz
February 11th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I wonder...maybe this episode is where "myriad permutations are viewed from space" as per the spoiler poem...

Ok now I'm confuddled :S :P

AscendedTauri
February 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I honestly think that the 'myriad permutations' will be the continuation of the Weir/'BAMSR' story-arc.

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Hmmm.

Fenrir Foxz
February 11th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I honestly think that the 'myriad permutations' will be the continuation of the Weir/'BAMSR' story-arc.

Sounds good, I really want some closure on that ;)

PG15
February 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I think the replicator story may be the line in the poem about replacements giving us trouble.

But yeah, the Myriad Theory[tm] makes sense. Daedalus is usually in space, and Variations = Permutations, sort of. Yeah? Yeah?

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think the replicator story may be the line in the poem about replacements giving us trouble.

But yeah, the Myriad Theory[tm] makes sense. Daedalus is usually in space, and Variations = Permutations, sort of. Yeah? Yeah?

Could be.

GateTrek2004
February 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Weir is CONFIRMED NOT to be in Season 5. But if they do continue the arc it must be without weir or a possibility that weir might have changed her form.

February 12th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I hope it's about a mutating ship, with one of the mutations a Transformer-like 304.

Linzi
February 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
That's what came to mind for me, yes. Sounds intriguing! :)

The_Carpenter
February 12th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I'm think it might be the Deadalus from a alternate reality where 304s were never designed.

So we have the alternate Deadalus being a 303, lets just hope no one has beards!

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
I'm think it might be the Deadalus from a alternate reality where 304s were never designed.

So we have the alternate Deadalus being a 303, lets just hope no one has beards!What?! How dare you? That is blasphemy!

The_Carpenter
February 12th, 2008, 05:38 AM
What?! How dare you? That is blasphemy!

Nothing wrong with beards... apart from when their on people from alternate realities, hate that whole cliché :jack:

reddevil18
February 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Nothing wrong with beards... apart from when their on people from alternate realities, hate that whole cliché :jack:

But that's just it! You can't have alternate realities without the beards! THAT's the blasphemy!

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Weir is CONFIRMED NOT to be in Season 5. But if they do continue the arc it must be without weir or a possibility that weir might have changed her form.

they will continue the arc ;) from JM's blog

Shawna writes: “So, let me get this straight…there isn’t going to be any conclusion to wrap up that random and tantalizing teaser/cliffhanger scene because Torri decided not to do it?”

Answer: That is incorrect. The script will be revised, adjustments made, and that particular story will be told in season 5. We won’t leave you hanging.

Mitchell82
February 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
they will continue the arc ;) from JM's blog

Yup. Who knows what direction they will take this.

Jumper_One
February 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM

I think TBTB should know ;) they better :P

Fenrir Foxz
February 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM

As long as it is done to the usual standard or better I'll be happy with whatever direction TPTB take it ;)

I think TBTB should know ;) they better :P

Yup otherwise... well I'm not 100% sure what that would mean :P

metabog
February 12th, 2008, 09:59 PM

I don't even think that they had a name for the ep back then.

vjlax18
February 13th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I hope it's about a mutating ship, with one of the mutations a Transformer-like 304.

Like in Spaceballs? I can see the Daedalus now turning into a giant maid to suck the air out of a planet...

melfan
February 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
A final of Alan McCullough’s Daedalus Variations came out today and we shifted focus to Alan’s second - extreme Shep-whumpage - script, co-storied by Robert C. Cooper. With the writers’ strike hopefully over, Carl will finally be delivering his masterpiece which we’ll be fast-tracking into the #5 slot.

Did I hear Shep whumpage?!

Platschu
February 13th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Did I hear Shep whumpage?!
Yes. Sheppard has to wash Daedalus in space with water. Mega whump. :lol:

Jeff O'Connor
February 13th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I am All-American, Grade-A, 100% Heterosexual Male.

And I can't resist the prospect of Sheppwhumpitis.

And I'm okay with that.

mizzoueng
February 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM
hmmm, "Daedalus variations".

Maybe Deady incounters an ancient (not lantian, just really old) wrecked ship and gets infected by a bio/tech virus that gets to the Asgard core. Then the virus begins to reassemble its wrecked ship into a "war" version of Deady.

Lets say the virus was part of a warship that still believes it is at war with some other race (lantians, wraith, other really old race that we haven't heard of) and is using the new information to continue its mission.

It would be neat to see the ship adapt and modify its structure to what it needs. Say it adapts the outer hull for enhanced hyperspace speeds and has a more sleek, streamlined look. Then once out of HS converts to a bulky but compact warship.

To tie in the Sheppard, maybe he finds a way on board the alien ship and finds the dead crew in stasis pods and is being fought off by the ships automated defenses.

MattSilver 3k
February 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
When i first heard of this title, I thought one thing: Travellers. I don't know why, but my spidey sense is tingling.

Jumper_One
February 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Like in Spaceballs? I can see the Daedalus now turning into a giant maid to suck the air out of a planet...

:lol: Spaceballs is a great movie :P

JohnRico
February 13th, 2008, 04:51 PM
They are actually naming an Episode off of a ship ? I have a bad feeling about the faith of the ship :S

Mitchell82
February 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM

I agree. It's so corny it's hilarious.

majorsal
February 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
could this 'maybe' be about sam's departure from being commander of atlantis? say, she's taking helm of the daedalus?

thoughts?

sally :)

Jumper_One
February 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
could this 'maybe' be about sam's departure from being commander of atlantis? say, she's taking helm of the daedalus?

thoughts?

I think Sam's departure will be explained in the second ep and this one's what? the fourth? fifth? would be a little late for that imo. but hey I won't complain if she shows up :D

Fenrir Foxz
February 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM

I agree. It's so corny it's hilarious.

"Use the swartz!" :P

thoughts?

I'd like to see Sam take command of a ship, she'd be better suited to it with her experience IMO :)

I think Sam's departure will be explained in the second ep and this one's what? the fourth? fifth? would be a little late for that imo. but hey I won't complain if she shows up :D

Yeah, that's what I've heard... I wouldn't complain either, Sam is supposed to be making some guest appearences... she might be in this ep :)

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 01:53 PM
"Use the swartz!" :P
:lol: The mock Darth Vader costume is also hilarious.

I'd like to see Sam take command of a ship, she'd be better suited to it with her experience IMO :)
I'd like that too. Maybe she takes command of The Phoenix?

reddevil18
February 14th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I'd like that too. Maybe she takes command of The Phoenix? Well, wouldn't taking command of a ship be kind of...you know...a step down from Atlantis leader? Though, she would be cool in that role...

Mitchell82
February 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Well, wouldn't taking command of a ship be kind of...you know...a step down from Atlantis leader? Though, she would be cool in that role...

Yeah but cool.

Jumper_One
February 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM
:lol: The mock Darth Vader costume is also hilarious.

:indeed: :lol:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/Spaceballs.png

I'd like that too. Maybe she takes command of The Phoenix?

I doubt it. we'll probably lose the Phoenix a few eps after we somehow get her

Well, wouldn't taking command of a ship be kind of...you know...a step down from Atlantis leader? Though, she would be cool in that role...

it would be cool but definitely a step down. I still think she'll return to Earth

Zatnikitelman
February 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM
They are actually naming an Episode off of a ship ? I have a bad feeling about the faith of the ship :S

You and me both pal. Last time we had a ep named that had something to do with a ship ("Ethon") we lost her. First thing that popped into my mind is the current life-expectancy of Earth ships.

melfan
February 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Yes. Sheppard has to wash Daedalus in space with water. Mega whump. :lol:

:lol:

The_Carpenter
February 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM
You and me both pal. Last time we had a ep named that had something to do with a ship ("Ethon") we lost her. First thing that popped into my mind is the current life-expectancy of Earth ships.

Though from the title "Ethon" it was fairly obvious what was going to happen to Promie if you knew your Greek mythology :daniel:

As for the what the title means I'm going with alternate realities because quite frankly other than a transformers rip off that's all I can think of!

melfan
February 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Though from the title "Ethon" it was fairly obvious what was going to happen to Promie if you knew your Greek mythology :daniel:

As for the what the title means I'm going with alternate realities because quite frankly other than a transformers rip off that's all I can think of!

Alt verses are fun, we need more of them!

Mitchell82
February 15th, 2008, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't mind a Transformers rip off on SGA.

reddevil18
February 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Okay...alien thermal grenade artwork for this episode...http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dsc04410.jpg
Well, that's not Wraith...Maybe the new race? I just hope it's not a hijacking episode...Last time we had one of 'em, we lost Emerson. I CAN'T LOSE CALDWELL! *breathe* Alright, calm down...I'm just overreacting.

jelgate
February 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Okay...alien thermal grenade artwork for this episode...http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/dsc04410.jpg
Well, that's not Wraith...Maybe the new race? I just hope it's not a hijacking episode...Last time we had one of 'em, we lost Emerson. I CAN'T LOSE CALDWELL! *breathe* Alright, calm down...I'm just overreacting.

Quick, breathe into this paper bag.

reddevil18
February 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Quick, breathe into this paper bag.

*eyes bag suspiciously*

Dev Corvin
February 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM

Ahhhh, MFer... Beat me to it lol.

Yeah, £20 says this episode introduces the new enemy.

Looks a bit like Furling/Grace tech tbh.

Mitchell82
February 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah, £20 says this episode introduces the new enemy.
Probably.

Looks a bit like Furling/Grace tech tbh.

Hmm don't see it.

Ltcolshepjumper
February 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM

The tech looks like a mix of Ancient, goauld, and Wraith styles (blue and amber colors, pyramidlike shape). the writing on it is rather different. Possibly a spin off the ancient language? I hope not though.

PG15
February 16th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Update:

Ascended Tauri writes: “Based on your posted picture, is ‘The Daedalus Variations’ slated to air as No.4 in Season 5?”

Answer: At present, yes it is.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/16/february-16-2008/

reddevil18
February 16th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Update:

Somehow, that reinforces my opinion that it'll introduce the new race. So far, in season 3 and 4, we've had the 4th and 3rd episode dedictaed to Ronon. Now, "Broken Ties", also a Ronon episode, is 3rd next season. And soon after the Ronon episodes(both times episode 5), we were introduced to a new race - "Progeny" and "Travelers". Is it just me or is there a pattern to all this?

Mitchell82
February 17th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Update:

That could easily change.

StevenCaldwell
February 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Sounds possible, I would like Caldwell to return in S5 :)

yeah deff, i would like to see caldwell more in season 5, but i dont realy like ellis that much. seems rude.

Platschu
February 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Somehow, that reinforces my opinion that it'll introduce the new race. So far, in season 3 and 4, we've had the 4th and 3rd episode dedictaed to Ronon. Now, "Broken Ties", also a Ronon episode, is 3rd next season. And soon after the Ronon episodes(both times episode 5), we were introduced to a new race - "Progeny" and "Travelers". Is it just me or is there a pattern to all this?

No, the new race is Martin Gero's idea and they will be in a two-parter with Daniel Jackson. ;)

Jumper_One
February 17th, 2008, 02:20 PM
No, the new race is Martin Gero's idea and they will be in a two-parter with Daniel Jackson. ;)

yup ;) from Joe's blog

So far, we’ve got a terrific, BIG two-parter planned. I suspect that the page count in the Daniel/McKay scenes (featuring the two fastest-talking actors in show business) will have the scheduling gurus doing back-flips. Remember that new enemy I mentioned? Oh, and Marty G. will be doing the honors on this one.

Platschu
February 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe they will find with theirs ship and weapons here, but they will meet face to face only in the two parter. ;)

jonos101
February 17th, 2008, 04:41 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! please dont kill caldwell

Jumper_One
February 17th, 2008, 05:04 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! please dont kill caldwell

I think he's safe. TBTB most likely know that the fans like him. Caldwell's only appeared in a couple of eps and there's no indication that he'll come back in the near future. there'd be no point in killing him off imo. but hey I could be completely wrong :S

Mitchell82
February 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I think he's safe. TBTB most likely know that the fans like him. Caldwell's only appeared in a couple of eps and there's no indication that he'll come back in the near future. there'd be no point in killing him off imo. but hey I could be completely wrong :S

I sure hope not.

jonos101
February 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM

that sounds like doc heightmyaer

Jumper_One
February 17th, 2008, 07:51 PM
that sounds like doc heightmyaer

hey I said I might be wrong ;) :P also nothing against the character of Heightmeyer (and I have to be careful because of FalconHorus) but Caldwell's more important than the Doc

Mitchell82
February 17th, 2008, 07:55 PM
hey I said I might be wrong ;) :P also nothing against the character of Heightmeyer (and I have to be careful because of FalconHorus) but Caldwell's more important than the Doc

I agree.*runs and hides behind huge rock and signals jumper_one to join me.*

Jumper_One
February 17th, 2008, 08:02 PM

don't worry I'm safe :P I think :S

the fifth man
February 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I would sure like to think that Caldwell would be safe. Anything is possible though.

jelgate
February 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Sending PM to Falcon Horus

Fenrir Foxz
February 17th, 2008, 09:18 PM

I agree aswell :)

Jumper_One
February 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM

:lol: you sneaky Romulan...err...yeah... :rolleyes: :P

Fenrir Foxz
February 17th, 2008, 09:28 PM
:lol: you sneaky Romulan...err...yeah... :rolleyes: :P

LMAO! :D

jonos101
February 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM

You wouldnt!!!:S * joins them behind rock *

reddevil18
February 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't actually say that we'll first meet them in that 2-parter. It could be similar to the Replicators - an introduction episode and then a big 2-parter.

Platschu
February 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't actually say that we'll first meet them in that 2-parter. It could be similar to the Replicators - an introduction episode and then a big 2-parter.

I wrote the same earlier:

Maybe they will find with theirs ship and weapons here, but they will meet face to face only in the two parter. ;)

reddevil18
February 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I wrote the same earlier:

Indeed.

PG15
March 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Update:

Squeakiep writes: “Would you be so kind as to tell us how the director line-up looks for the front 10 episodes of season 5?”

Answer: Andy Mikita does the honors on Martin Gero’s Search and Rescue, Will Waring follows on Paul Mullie’s The Seed, Ken Girotti steps into the line-up on my Broken Ties, after which Andy Mikita steps back into the rotation for Alan McCullough’s Daedalus Variations, Ken Girroti is next on Carl Binder’s Ghost in the Machine, then back to Andy Mikita for Brad Wright’s as-yet-untitled tear jerker, which brings us back to Will Waring for my second episode, Whispers.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/march-5-2008-congratulations-all-around/

Mitchell82
March 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Update:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/march-5-2008-congratulations-all-around/

They sure love teasing us with itty bitty pieces of information.

Vala_M
March 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Captain Sobol? I suspect this is some kind of alternate universe Daedalus or something like that. Because if Caldwell was replaced, I'm sure that Atlantis would know that.

Vala,

Jumper_One
March 6th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Captain Sobol? I suspect this is some kind of alternate universe Daedalus or something like that. Because if Caldwell was replaced, I'm sure that Atlantis would know that.

Vala,

there's also the possibility that Sam replaces him ;)

SGFerrit
March 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I think the synopsis of this ep sounds great, but people commenting on the article are already calling it a rip off of The Fith Man and some TNG episode...

Platschu
March 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
It seems it will be an AU story. I hope they won't kill Caldwell. :(

* joins the team behind the rock *

wheresmyfroggy
March 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Aw, man! I was hoping this was gonna be a heavy Caldwell episode. He is the most wasted character/actor on the show, IMHO.

He'd better be alive and well by the end of this.

freyr's mother
March 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
It could be an imposter who brainwashed the crew and is trying to commandeer the ship.

cabouse18
March 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Considering the title has the word "variations" in it; why do I get the feeling this is going to be one of those AU eps???:S

jelgate
March 6th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Aw, man! I was hoping this was gonna be a heavy Caldwell episode. He is the most wasted character/actor on the show, IMHO.

He'd better be alive and well by the end of this.

If Caldwell is killed off, I suggest we form a mob and head Bridge Studios.

pilgrim soul
March 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Why does everyone assume everyone is going to be killed off? Just because they had a few characters die doesn't mean they are going to kill off every character in the show one by one.

Its clearly an AU of some kind so I'm sure that Caldwell is still out there somewhere.

Ltcolshepjumper
March 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Considering the title has the word "variations" in it; why do I get the feeling this is going to be one of those AU eps???:S

It could be interesting.

Killdeer
March 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I like AU eps, actually. Personally, I like them better than timetravel episodes. There's so much potential with the AU concept. I've been disappointed before (Ripple Effect turned out to be a letdown after being really excited for it), but it would be interesting to see AU versions of our team. Actually, I'm wondering if this is more than one AU, like what happened in Ripple Effect, because it's Variations, plural.

wheresmyfroggy
March 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
If Caldwell is killed off, I suggest we form a mob and head Bridge Studios.

Oh, don't you worry. I'll be the first in line for that mob (unless, of course, you beat me there).

We could always tell everyone to gather for another 'save Carson Beckett' rally, and then hope they don't notice the signs say 'save Stephen Caldwell' instead. ;)

The_Carpenter
March 6th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like this ep. may hint at the new enemy, we have seen before AUs which are ahead of the current stargate time line. Certainly sounds like an interesting episode and the one I'm currently most looking forward to.

Konrad9
March 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Perhaps an AU's Daedalus somehow wound up in our universe?

Also, as to the link to the blog...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/Konrad/dsc04964.jpg

jonos101
March 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Oh, don't you worry. I'll be the first in line for that mob (unless, of course, you beat me there).

We could always tell everyone to gather for another 'save Carson Beckett' rally, and then hope they don't notice the signs say 'save Stephen Caldwell' instead. ;)

love the idea, meet ya there, f*** i live in australia

jelgate
March 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Froggy will pay for your plane ticket

wheresmyfroggy
March 6th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I can't promise that the funds came from strictly... *cough* legal *cough* means. I am, after all, a poor college student.

ohnd
March 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Captain Sobol? Isnt he the guy who commanded E-Company in 506th Airborne lol. from Band of Brothers? lol just a trivia to pop things up

Gaeth
March 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Like the SDF from Robotech or Tripticon from Transformers. That'd be cool, then it could fight a likewise transforming Wraith hive ship.

jonos101
March 6th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I can't promise that the funds came from strictly... *cough* legal *cough* means. I am, after all, a poor college student.

thats okay, how do u think i bought my computer :D

Mitchell82
March 6th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I think the synopsis of this ep sounds great, but people commenting on the article are already calling it a rip off of The Fith Man and some TNG episode...

From the spoilers I've read which arent much I can't see how this is even similar to The Fifth Man.

talyn2k1
March 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Perhaps an AU's Daedalus somehow wound up in our universe?

Also, as to the link to the blog...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/Konrad/dsc04964.jpg

I'm guessing thats Alicia Vega aka Leela Savasta, the hair and clothing looks similar to some pics JM posted on his blog.

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm guessing thats Alicia Vega aka Leela Savasta, the hair and clothing looks similar to some pics JM posted on his blog.

You are probably right :)

Fenrir Foxz
March 7th, 2008, 09:39 AM

Yup , that what I'd say anyway...

Heaven
March 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Sam has the ancient gene ? WTH? :confused:

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Sam has the ancient gene ? WTH? :confused:
Or Vega does....

AFAIK stands to reason that the Co piliots seat would be able to fly the jumper

freyr's mother
March 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Or one or both of them have been innoculated w/ the ATA gene.

Mitchell82
March 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Or Vega does....

AFAIK stands to reason that the Co piliots seat would be able to fly the jumper

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure only the pilot seat has the flight controls.

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure only the pilot seat has the flight controls.
Hmmmm I guess Carter must get the ATA jab then :D

Jumper_One
March 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
OR Sam and Vega are just waiting for Shep ;)

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hang on.... do we know if this pic is even in this episode? Looked on JMs blog and there's no mention of which ep the pic is in.

jenks
March 7th, 2008, 02:48 PM
"Carter and Porter, joined by Dr. Keller and a contingent, gear up and head to the planet in a cloaked Jumper. They begin searching for their missing people -- including McKay and Lorne, who find themselves trapped together with no way out. But the team is being watched from overhead: Michael is on board a cruiser orbiting the planet, scanning their life signs. When he determines that the Atlantians are there and may still prove useful to his agenda, he launches Wraith Darts to capture them."

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
"Carter and Porter, joined by Dr. Keller and a contingent, gear up and head to the planet in a cloaked Jumper. They begin searching for their missing people -- including McKay and Lorne, who find themselves trapped together with no way out. But the team is being watched from overhead: Michael is on board a cruiser orbiting the planet, scanning their life signs. When he determines that the Atlantians are there and may still prove useful to his agenda, he launches Wraith Darts to capture them."
Sounds a lot like Search and Rescue to me ;)

Fenrir Foxz
March 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
OR Sam and Vega are just waiting for Shep ;)

No, I'm quite sure Vega is waiting for...
...Me to sweep her off her feet :P

jenks
March 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds a lot like Search and Rescue to me ;)

Isn't the ep the picture is from?

Jumper_One
March 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Isn't the ep the picture is from?

then it's in the wrong thread

The_Carpenter
March 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM

then it's in the wrong thread

:indeed: someone made a bit of a booboo

jelgate
March 7th, 2008, 10:55 PM

She'll be waiting until the end of time.

Fenrir Foxz
March 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
She'll be waiting until the end of time.

:lol: :P

ColCaldwell
March 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
there's also the possibility that Sam replaces him ;)

Why replace a competent colonel with an incompetent colonel?

Jumper_One
March 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Why replace a competent colonel with an incompetent colonel?

who are you talking about? I meant the competent Col Caldwell and the incredible Col Carter ;)

prion
March 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
From March 8th Mallozzi blog

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/08/march-8-2008/

Blast door artwork
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dsc05366.jpg

Ltcolshepjumper
March 8th, 2008, 06:02 PM
From March 8th Mallozzi blog

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/08/march-8-2008/

Blast door artwork

wow, that's a HUGE spoiler!
So this Daedalus, the ship itself, is from another dimension? Or Alternate Reality?

PG15
March 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Me likes this development...

reddevil18
March 8th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Any bets on what the interdimensional drive will look like? Event Horizon, anyone? Anyone?

Jumper_One
March 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Any bets on what the interdimensional drive will look like? Event Horizon, anyone? Anyone?

that would be... :S

talyn2k1
March 9th, 2008, 04:51 AM
From the spoilers, i'd say that Earth, in an alternate universe, developed an InterDimensional hyperspace drive which was intended to be faster than your standard hyperdrive.
Something goes hinky, and they end up in our universe. This explains captain Sobol.

MechaThor
March 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM

I think its similar to "The Fith Man" (which I would just like to say I love that episode) However it is sci-fi and most stories have been done b4. Also Fith man was rather a one off, due to the way the fith man was created, using the intresting twist of the Re'ol and its chemical.

There4 only if it turns out this new Commander is a Re'ol (which is unlikly since its a Milky Way speices) then it will just be a rip off.

I belive its more along the lines of another comment I read on the gateworld article, that it is infact a dead from another reality or timezone! Anyways looking forward to this ep, hope its handled as well as some of the stand alone eps in Series 4.

thekillman
March 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
its logical that the interdimensional drive can only be for two purposes:
use annother dimension for near-instantaneous travel[no subspace. you go to annother dimension, then reenter ours at a different location]
or to enter annther dimension on purpose, to find help/allies/ to explore.

hyperdrive
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5818/hyperdrivemp7.bmp
interdimensional drive:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9485/interdimensionaldrivegf6.bmp

difference: in subspace, you still have a distance to travel, even though with normal sublight you go 1,24 LY/s. with interdimensional, you could enter annother dimension, wait a second, then get back to ours at annother location. but i guess there will be a cooldown

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM
why does every earth made facility has to have these dreadful black and yellow stripes :S

I hate it

thekillman
March 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
because it is earth like. but anyway: what do you think of my explanation

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
where did you hear about an interdimensional drive?

thekillman
March 9th, 2008, 11:48 AM
watch the lower part. there it says "vieuw to VFX Interdimensional drive[seperate artwork TBD(to be done)] VFX to "open" blast door in scene 20."

you got it?

thekillman
March 9th, 2008, 11:51 AM
so, like i said, its either to enter other dimension for help/allies/exploration, or for nearinstantaniously travel. to anywhere in the universe, but the calculations would be extraordinary. perhaps TAO of rodney's math?

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 11:54 AM
oh got it

maybe it's just a really big version of merlin's device and the same thing that happened to Sam happened to that daedalus :cool:

could be interesting if it's an earth ship without asgard upgrades

PG15
March 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
why does every earth made facility has to have these dreadful black and yellow stripes :S

I hate it

Isn't that for safety and caution or something?

MechaThor
March 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I hate it

....To warn you of Hazards?
and to show the viewers its an Earth based Factility, Without the black/yellow stripes, pipes bolted onto the walls and flashing red lights its just any old building, Not an Earth made Factilty!

Anyways where dose this fit into the "The Daedalus Variations " Speculation? Unless you speculate there could be a diffrence in the black and yellow stripes on this Daedalus? Hinting at it being from another Dimension? maybe Yellow and dark grey?

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
....To warn you of Hazards?
and to show the viewers its an Earth based Factility, Without the black/yellow stripes, pipes bolted onto the walls and flashing red lights its just any old building, Not an Earth made Factilty!

oh yeah, doors are very hazardous objects
but it seems we are the only race in existence who cares enough to warn about them

Anyways where dose this fit into the "The Daedalus Variations " Speculation? Unless you speculate there could be a diffrence in the black and yellow stripes on this Daedalus? Hinting at it being from another Dimension? maybe Yellow and dark grey?
you never know, they might find a variation where earth has better aesthetic sense :)

PG15
March 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Are you serious?

Uh...yeah, doors leading to harzardous things are indeed hazardous to open...

But you know what I really hate? Stop Signs. They should totally get rid of the red and white and replace it with tie-dye! :p

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Are you serious?

Uh...yeah, doors leading to harzardous things are indeed hazardous to open...

uhh so all the doors on 304s lead to hazardous things then, I see :cool:

But you know what I really hate? Stop Signs. They should totally get rid of the red and white and replace it with tie-dye! :p
let's see.. have you ever seen signs on hives?
Atlantis? Hataks? Traveler ships?

guess we're alone in that trend :o

Jumper_One
March 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
uhh so all the doors on 304s lead to hazardous things then, I see :cool:

no they don't

let's see.. have you ever seen signs on hives?
Atlantis? Hataks? Traveler ships?

guess we're alone in that trend :o

maybe we are. your point?

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
no they don't

well they all have the ugly stripes

maybe we are. your point?
we're weird

Jumper_One
March 9th, 2008, 04:06 PM
well they all have the ugly stripes

they do? have you seen every single door on a 304?

we're weird

OR everybody else is weird ;)

Konrad9
March 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
but it seems we are the only race in existence who cares enough to warn about them

you never know, they might find a variation where earth has better aesthetic sense :)

You strike me as someone who would probably be among the first to go when the safety labels come off of everything.

Heaven
March 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM
You strike me as someone who would probably be among the first to go when the safety labels come off of everything.
hehehe hey at least I could say it was an accident ;)

wheresmyfroggy
March 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
hehehe hey at least I could say it was an accident ;)

Nonono, the only logical response in that case would, of course, be: "Hey! Why wasn't there a hazardous label on there! People should be warned about those things!"

sparkygate
March 10th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Pretty interesting "Interdimensional drive"

Would be an interesting episode... most likely we would find out more specs about/ on the daedalus class ships i.e. power generation and etc...

hopeful this "Interdimensional drive" is something that ACTUALLY WORKS and it was just one fault, that took them to our dimension, not some stupid experimentation that doesnt work i.e. the naq. hyperspace windows for the F302

MechaThor
March 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Well like someone else said, Whats behind the doors may be harzardous, plus the doors are automatic! In a power fluxuation, when the ships taking damage or a lock down is needed them doors may shut very fast and very hard! You would not like to be standing there if that happens, and thanks to the warning stripes you would not!

Humans from Earth have a littlke thing called "over the top Health and Saftly" Plus its a military ship which would (should) have its standards and saftly 100%
Ha'taks don't have hazard warning signs as i am pretty sure the Goa'uld did not care much for their Jaffa and would rather have a good looking gold ha'tak, than one with safty signs all over the place!

Anyways I still don't see how this links to speculation of "The Daedalus Variations"?

PG15
March 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Update:

Oh, and I’m sure fans will be thrilled to hear that we finally did it. Yes, spread the word! The casting process is complete! We have our Captain Sobol!

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/march-10-2008/

PG15
March 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
A mention:

In other production news - Will Waring is working on his director’s cut of The Seed, Broken Ties is shooting the Solen scene, looks like the Visual Effects department is going to have their hands full with The Daedalus Variations, Carl just put out the blue pages on Ghost in the Machine, Brad and I await the network/studio notes on The Shrine of Talus and Whispers, Carl continues work on Tracker, Alan has gone to script on The Queen, while Marty G. hammers away at the still untitled mid-season two-parter.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/march-13-2008-hazzencockles-hard-times-and-the-trouble-with-flares/

PG15
March 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Another mention:

Belouchi writes: “...2. I figured from a recurring pattern in the past seasons that in the first half of the season that is the first 10 episodes there is always a tech savy episode with cool visual effects involving either space fights or ancient technology in general. […]. Might I be somewhat close to say Daedalus Variation is the one for season 5?

Answers: ...2. Somewhat.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/march-14-2008-huge-news-on-the-book-of-the-month-front/

Mitchell82
March 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Another mention:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/14/march-14-2008-huge-news-on-the-book-of-the-month-front/

Hmmm......

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM
A mention:

In other production news - Will Waring is working on his director’s cut of The Seed, Broken Ties is shooting the Solen scene, looks like the Visual Effects department is going to have their hands full with The Daedalus Variations, Carl just put out the blue pages on Ghost in the Machine, Brad and I await the network/studio notes on The Shrine of Talus and Whispers, Carl continues work on Tracker, Alan has gone to script on The Queen, while Marty G. hammers away at the still untitled mid-season two-parter.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/13/march-13-2008-hazzencockles-hard-times-and-the-trouble-with-flares/

Another mention:

Belouchi writes: “...2. I figured from a recurring pattern in the past seasons that in the first half of the season that is the first 10 episodes there is always a tech savy episode with cool visual effects involving either space fights or ancient technology in general. […]. Might I be somewhat close to say Daedalus Variation is the one for season 5?

Answers: ...2. Somewhat.

DV is beginning to sound like it could be a really cool ep...

The_Carpenter
March 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
DV is beginning to sound like it could be a really cool ep...
Indeed, Im really looking foreward to this one :D

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM

TBH the only thing that could make this ep dissapointing is if the Daedalus gets destroyed and Caldwell dies... unless done right like Sam in TLM :cool:

...but I would still prefer it didn't happen :P

The_Carpenter
March 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
TBH the only thing that could make this ep dissapointing is if the Daedalus gets destroyed and Caldwell dies... unless done right like Sam in TLM :cool:

They would have to have gone insane to kill Caldwell..... :D

The.Road.Not.Taken
March 17th, 2008, 08:20 AM

nooooooo you cant kill cadwell it would the worst thing ever:(

The_Carpenter
March 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Indeed.... which is why they wont, Blow up Ellis and the Apollo if you must but keep Caldwell and the Deadalus...

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Yup :P

Blow up Ellis and the Apollo if you must but keep Caldwell and the Deadalus...

I agree, Caldwell has served SGA far more and better than Ellis ever will so there isn't really a choice if one has to go... Plus 'Daedalus' is much cooler tha 'Apollo' for a ships name IMO :D

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM

same here

you mentioned Sam? :D um yeah I agree :P

Indeed.... which is why they wont, Blow up Ellis and the Apollo if you must but keep Caldwell and the Deadalus...

TBTB will only destroy a ship if they feel it gives us a considerable advantage. hopefully this won't be the case ;)

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 06:01 PM
you mentioned Sam? :D um yeah I agree :P

:lol: Are you Sam spotting now or something... just a mention of her name and you come a-running :P

TBTB will only destroy a ship if they feel it gives us a considerable advantage. hopefully this won't be the case ;)

I think the Prometheus' destruction in Ethon was really well done, first time I saw it I didn't like that we lost a ship but the second time round I realised how the Ori satellite destroying the Prometheus actually worked in the Ori story's favor as setting them up to be really powerful technologically... If another Earth ship is to be destroyed then I would prefer it serves the story like the Prometheus did...

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 06:06 PM
:lol: Are you Sam spotting now or something... just a mention of her name and you come a-running :P

of course :P always ;) :D

I think the Promethius' destruction in Ethon was really well done, first time I saw it I didn't like that we lost a ship but the second time round I realised how the Ori satellite destroying the Promethius actually worked in the Ori story's favor as setting them up to be really powerful technologically... If another Earth ship is to be destroyed then I would prefer it serves the story like the Promethius did...

yeah well I didn't like it :cool:

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
of course :P always ;) :D

yeah well I didn't like it :cool:

Yeah I know what you mean, it's best to hope we don't lose the Daedalus :p

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, it's best to hope we don't loose the Daedalus :p

jenks
March 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Yeah I know what you mean, it's best to hope we don't loose the Daedalus :p

LOSE

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 06:45 PM
LOSE

:indeed: FoXz I'm disappointed :P

jelgate
March 17th, 2008, 06:50 PM
FoXz has disappointed the forum. Its time for the mods to delete his account.

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 06:51 PM

jonos101
March 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
time to make a save steven caldwell thread

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 06:57 PM
LOSE

:indeed: FoXz I'm disappointed :P

:lol: *WHATEVER* It's not like either of you can say you haven't made a spelling mistake before :P

*whacks Jelgate over the head with a 2x4* :P

time to make a save steven caldwell thread

I don't think that will be required just yet :P

jelgate
March 17th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Did you see that Killdeer. I am not the only one with violent ideas.

Jumper_One
March 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM
:lol: *WHATEVER* It's not like either of you can say you haven't made a spelling mistake before :P

*remembers the hat* *cough* :rolleyes: :P

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:01 PM

What do you expect from the bringer of ragnarok? :P

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM
*remembers the hat* *cough* :rolleyes: :P

Yup :P

Killdeer
March 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM

:rolleyes: You're all insane. :D

I hope it's not catching. *runs*

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:22 PM
:rolleyes: You're all insane. :D

I hope it's not catching. *runs*

If you know of the Jelgate then it is already too late for you :P

jelgate
March 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Welcome to the insane section of GW. Peg is our leader.

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I didn't realise we were organised enough to have a leader... either that or I'm not getting my memos :P

Killdeer
March 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM

I will not surrender!!!

Does she know? Or are you just following her? :D

Fenrir Foxz
March 17th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I will not surrender!!!

Resistence is futile! :P

PG15
March 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM
And so it begins...filming, that is! Pics from the set of this episode:

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dsc04734.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dsc04739.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dsc04745.jpg
http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/dsc04742.jpg

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/march-19-2008-a-trip-down-memory-lane/

the fifth man
March 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM

From: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/march-19-2008-a-trip-down-memory-lane/

Thanks for posting those.

Fenrir Foxz
March 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Pic 1: Chuck's in 'THE' chair :P

Awsome pics... Thanks for posting PG15...

GoSpikey
March 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Pic 1: Chuck's in 'THE' chair :P

Awsome pics... Thanks for posting PG15...

GOOOOOOO CHUCK !!!! :lol:

thekillman
March 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
hey jelgate you found you lost law?

yea chuck's in the chair. say that a thousand times fast :D
[singsong]
chuck's in the chair
chuck's in the chair
chuck's in the chair
chuck's in the chair
chuck's in the chair

lol
yea its gonna be one awesome eppy

jonos101
March 21st, 2008, 07:14 PM
From the seige part 3:

Weir: Who is this?
Chuck: This is Chuck, commander of the deadalus

GoSpikey
March 22nd, 2008, 05:41 AM
From the seige part 3:

Weir: Who is this?
Chuck: This is Chuck, commander of the deadalus

Huh? Really? :S

PG15
March 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM
A mention:

Back in the office tomorrow, and this is what the short week looks like: Production continues on The Daedalus Variations, most of which is being shot on the FX Stage. Prep continues on Ghost in the Machine. Ken Girotti, who will be directing GitM, also finishes up his director’s cut of Broken Ties, which means I‘ll be heading over to editing later in the week. Carl put out a first draft of Tracker late Wednesday so we should have notes for him first thing Tuesday morning. Or maybe third thing Wednesday afternoon. Paul is in editing, working on The Seed. Marty G. continues work on the still-unnamed mis-season two-parter, while Alan continues work on the Teyla-centric The Queen. The second round of network and studio notes should be coming my way on Whispers. And I’ll continue my leisurely meditations on episode 16.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/march-24-2008/

PG15
March 25th, 2008, 07:53 PM
A mention...

Two huge playback-heavy episodes in The Daedalus Variations and Ghost in the Machine will have that department on their toes for the next few weeks, while Brad has the waterfall situation under control. As predicted, we didn’t get around to giving Carl his notes on Tracker. Maybe tomorrow.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/march-25-2008-a-return-to-surreality/

Merlin1701
March 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I believe this episode will be very similar to an idea I came up with and posted on the forums a few months back, the only difference is it was based around the Prometheus.

The Deadalus has crossed over from an alternate universe.

I have also attached the posted idea for you to assess if it could be a possible thought for the episode.

“I have been hoping for one. We have seen an Alternate universe storyline in SG1 and in SGA we saw an alternate Rodney.

I want to see the return of the Prometheus, bulked up bigger and better that had survived the attack in "Ethon". It had been heavily upgraded and partially re-built due to the attack.

In the ALT universe they had the ambitious plan to send the vessel back in time to a point when the ancients where still in the PG gather intelligence to the location of other Atlantean installations. Using the temporal jumpers systems they went back in time however the system not only sent them into the past but also into our universe.

Exiting temporal hyperspace the vessel entered a battle to aid an Atlantean vessel, receiving irreparable damage to the hyper drive engines and learning of the universe jump as well they set course for a nebula to hide the vessel from others. While on course they record messages to Atlantis and Earth.

*/ this gives the viewer the opportunity to understand the alternate crew more and a glimpse into the other universe/*

The message is received by Atlantis early in the episode and this plays out like a crew record.”

mrbob
March 30th, 2008, 11:04 AM

lol yer the beard thing only works with spock

oh btw loving the signature but imperial fist kick ass any day

Hallnavy
March 30th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thats an interesting theory, but for some reason I don't see them doing this. Them as in the writing staff of Stargate Atlantis.

I would love to see an episode like this. I want to see more interacting with us humans and the ancients, but I just don't see them doing this......

Astrofighter
March 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
there was an episode of voyager very similar to this

the ship landed on a demon planet and they were copied then the copid demon planet based crew didnt know/forgot they were copies and went out trying to get back to earth

eventually they all die because they became unstable and the wreckage is found by the real voyager who just think its some odd wreckage and move on with their voyage back home

PG15
March 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Stuff from David Hewlett:

We've been shooting "Deadalus Variations" all week and it ended with a bang thanks to our pyro pyrotechnical team...they've always got those huge grins on their faces...then again if I was blowing stuff up all day I would too.

http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/content/view/157/

Anubis91
March 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Stuff from David Hewlett:

http://www.adogsbreakfastmovie.com/content/view/157/

As long as it was not the Daedalus they have blown off I'm happy ! ^^
seriously i'm really looking forward to this episode ! I love technological /ship based episodes :)

PG15
April 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Update:

Watched the director’s cut of Daedalus Variations this afternoon. Andy Mikita did a terrific job on this one. Wow! Talk about a visual effects extravaganza! For those of you who enjoy “team” episodes in particular, this is one to look forward to.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/april-11-2008-production-update/

Killdeer
April 11th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Huh. Is that emphasized "team" a snark at all of us who have been clamoring for more team in S5? :P

Fenrir Foxz
April 12th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Huh. Is that emphasized "team" a snark at all of us who have been clamoring for more team in S5? :P

If enough people have been asking about 'the team' on JM's blog then it is likely :P

GoSpikey
April 12th, 2008, 06:08 AM

That's exactly what I thought after reading that comment! http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/tod_lol22.gif

He must get agitated cos of those messages!

PG15
April 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Update:

We watched the producer’s cut of The Daedalus Variations. Alan did a great job on it. To be honest, I was worried about this script at the outline stage but it’s turning out to be a great, fast-moving episode.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/april-17-2008-in-which-production-developments-are-discussed-fan-concerns-are-addressed-and-the-writer-bemoans-his-early-call/

Fenrir Foxz
April 17th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Update:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/april-17-2008-in-which-production-developments-are-discussed-fan-concerns-are-addressed-and-the-writer-bemoans-his-early-call/

Fast moving, I like the sound of that :cool:

GoSpikey
April 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Fast moving, I like the sound of that :cool:

Me too, cos it's in fourth position and that could mean it's one of the lesser eps... I hope we don't get much time to think in it. So fast moving is good.

It was the one with the funny Captain, right? Well, it not being the correct one?

PG15
April 21st, 2008, 12:18 AM
Oh...this sounds cool.

http://gateworld.net/news/2008/04/daedalus_variations_is_a_wild_ro.shtml

I can't wait for all the...permutations they will see. ;)

Linzi
April 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM
Oh...this sounds cool.

http://gateworld.net/news/2008/04/daedalus_variations_is_a_wild_ro.shtml

I can't wait for all the...permutations they will see. ;)
I read that this morning too. It does sound really fascinating and pretty exciting too. Can't wait for this eppie! :) :lol: at the permutations. I always thought that line of the poem referred to this! ;)

jenks
April 21st, 2008, 05:49 AM
"It was a neat opportunity to see a bunch of different alternate realities. We don't have to build a new set every time -- we are on the Daedalus. You get to see through the visual effects what might have happened in this reality."

Those differences from one reality to the next are seen "just outside of the Daedalus, for the most part. Although there is one important interaction that takes place on the Daedalus: when we jump to another reality, we get boarded. I won't say more than that! But we do end up having to win back our Daedalus from an alien species."

Win.

Although I've got a feeling they're going to use this to pull a quantum mirror on us, in other words they discover an alien threat in another reality just in time to help save Atlantis from them...

SGFerrit
April 21st, 2008, 06:27 AM
Hopefully this alien species is totally new, and maybe they will find a way to enter our own reality? That would be cool, an alien enemy from another reality:)

MechaThor
April 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Win.

Although I've got a feeling they're going to use this to pull a quantum mirror on us, in other words they discover an alien threat in another reality just in time to help save Atlantis from them...

Maybe it will be the same alien race which Daneil Finds out about latter in the series, But I hope not as I rather them be two New and very Diffrent alien Species!

The fact they said 'alien species' not 'Alien Race' means we may finally get to see a new non human alien on Atlantis! Which is about time, I mean the Wraith are cool aliens, but beening half Human only makes them Half Alien. Not a True alien like the Foothold Lobsters or the Re'tu!

Infact I would not mind it being the Foothold aliens again! Hopefully its not the Bug Form Replicators again as we saw them in AOT, although the term species, will hopefully prevent that outcome!

maxbo
April 21st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hmmm, an early in the season team episode with a bit of mystery and mention of an "alien species"- this sounds promising. Cool.

Merlin1701
April 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Probably Genii or travellers, could even be the Athosians??????

It does sound jolly good.

The real question is will we keep the vessel or will it just phase away...It would be nice to keep it and rename it the Pheonix or Belleraphon.

Heaven
April 21st, 2008, 09:00 AM
*sigh*

another great idea gone to waste

instead of stretching it over a long arc of a few episodes so we could actually experience and explore a bit these different realities and have a chance to enjoy something fresh they're gonna wrap it up with a few snippets of action and call it a day

what a disappointment, I don't even feel like watching it now :mad::(

Konrad9
April 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
*sigh*

instead of stretching it over a long arc of a few episodes so we could actually experience and explore a bit these different realities and have a chance to enjoy something fresh they're gonna wrap it up with a few snippets of action and call it a day

You sound like someone who would be disappointed because you won the lottery when it was ONLY $50 million.

Heaven
April 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
You sound like someone who would be disappointed because you won the lottery when it was ONLY $50 million.
trust me if I won 50 million I wouldn't throw it away
but this is one episode I wouldn't mind skipping

if they're going to visit several realities and still be back for supper
they're better off staying home

Killdeer
April 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds very interesting. I've always enjoyed the alternate reality concept, though sometimes the execution didn't live up to my expectations (Ripple Effect).

I'm always cautious with Alan's episodes though. Sometimes they're good, like Spoils of War and Outcast, and sometimes he throws in a rather unbelievable plot hole to make the whole thing work, like Tabula Rasa, or requires the characters to act foolishly or out of character to make the plot work (everyone in Insiders, Teyla in Kindred 2). Tabula required me to believe that Rodney could reason through recording a message for himself, taping a knife to his chair, and handcuffing himself to the desk in spite of apparent danger around the corner, but that he couldn't think clearly enough to press the enter key and finish the program. :rolleyes: I think I would have liked the episode otherwise, and I know most people love it, but I couldn't get past that brain twister. I'm crossing my fingers that this episode is one that works, because it really does sound fascinating.

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Sounds very interesting. I've always enjoyed the alternate reality concept, though sometimes the execution didn't live up to my expectations (Ripple Effect).

I'm always cautious with Alan's episodes though. Sometimes they're good, like Spoils of War and Outcast, and sometimes he throws in a rather unbelievable plot hole to make the whole thing work, like Tabula Rasa, or requires the characters to act foolishly or out of character to make the plot work (everyone in Insiders, Teyla in Kindred 2). Tabula required me to believe that Rodney could reason through recording a message for himself, taping a knife to his chair, and handcuffing himself to the desk in spite of apparent danger around the corner, but that he couldn't think clearly enough to press the enter key and finish the program. :rolleyes: I think I would have liked the episode otherwise, and I know most people love it, but I couldn't get past that brain twister. I'm crossing my fingers that this episode is one that works, because it really does sound fascinating.

This sounds very interesting, I totally agree. I've always been a fan of those alternate reality eps. I love how they are pushing "Team episode". This should be a top 5 episode if it is done right.

Klenotka
April 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Finally a team episode! And the idea of alternate realities sounds interestning. I hope this will work.

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Finally a team episode! And the idea of alternate realities sounds interestning. I hope this will work.

Well I think the first 4 eps will all be team episodes. But will be Teyla and Ronon, and Carson heavy for one or two here and there.

jenks
April 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
*sigh*

Best you can do?

g.o.d
April 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
:lol: everything is great and wonderful, visual efects are great and wonderful. And what about the story? is it great and wonderful as well?

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
LOL! :P

...I like the sound of this ep anyway :cool:

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
*slowly walks in and then out of thread to refrain from replying* :S

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Win.

I wouldn't mind that as I loved TBFTGOG. This sounds like a great ep.

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2008, 11:05 AM

I think I better do the same.

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM

I think I better do the same.

:confused: ...:P

wise one
April 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
just reading the The Daedalus Variations when they say board suggest to me it will be a technological race since the only ones currently with space faring tech are the wraith and the travelers

when they say species they better not dissapoint

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hmm what if this new enemy was able to disrupt and manipulate time and realities. That would be pretty sick. :D

g.o.d
April 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Hmm what if this new enemy was able to disrupt and manipulate time and realities. That would be pretty sick. :D

it isn't important how powerful they are, they will be idiots in the end so they can be easily defeated by our superheroes :rolleyes:

but, I hope they will be something like species 8472

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
it isn't important how powerful they are, they will be idiots in the end so they can be easily defeated by our superheroes :rolleyes:

but, I hope they will be something like species 8472

I am hoping for the non-human type enemy.

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM

LOL, a civilization of rogue timelords who survived the final time war :P

g.o.d
April 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
I am hoping for the non-human type enemy.

me too. But TPTB spend all the money on the "cool" space battles and "cool" visual effects

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
me too. But TPTB spend all the money on the "cool" space battles and "cool" visual effects

Farscape had some sick aliens.

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

Skaarans :P ...:cool:

g.o.d
April 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

I haven't seen Farscape. I'm too busy with BSG and rewatching Babylon 5 :)

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
I haven't seen Farscape. I'm too busy with BSG and rewatching Babylon 5 :)

BSG had a great ep last Friday, The 2nd ep fell off big time from the premiere, imo, but glad it picked up. Was afraid of a Season 3 similar fate. :S

jelgate
April 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
BSG had a great ep last Friday, The 2nd ep fell off big time from the premiere, imo, but glad it picked up. Was afraid of a Season 3 similar fate. :S

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b253/marcm1978/Funny%20pics/crazymancopy.jpg

:P

Briangate78
April 21st, 2008, 01:14 PM

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 01:15 PM

The tide has turned on the Briangate :P :lol:

PG15
April 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM

You mean the "cool" visual effects needed for non-humanoid aliens?

Yeah, why should they waste money on THAT?

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM

Don't forget the weird races in Star Trek. The Tholians for example.

GoSpikey
April 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM
Don't forget the weird races in Star Trek. The Tholians for example.

*Has to try it, too*

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 02:54 PM
^Spammer! :P

jelgate
April 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
^Spammer! :P

This coming from the king of spam.

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM
This coming from the king of spam.

So you're the king of spam? :P

jelgate
April 21st, 2008, 02:58 PM
*facepalm*
FoXz=Spam king

GoSpikey
April 21st, 2008, 03:01 PM
Silly boy needs some elaborate explaining, doesn't he, Jel? :P

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM
*facepalm*
FoXz=Spam king

Jelgate the deceiver :P

*Whatever* :P

GoSpikey
April 21st, 2008, 03:06 PM
*Whatever* :P

Your intelligence jumps out of my screen... :P

jelgate
April 21st, 2008, 03:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRea0YwWYAQ

Fenrir Foxz
April 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
Your intelligence jumps out of my screen... :P

Well such a great capacity of knowledge will have that effect :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRea0YwWYAQ

"You say that alot" :P

GoSpikey
April 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM
*is on silly wireless with a compo that seems to flip whenever I open eg PB, ever since FF updated, twice...*

:(

Infinatus
April 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'd love to see the Mimetic Aliens in this episode. :P

But whoever the aliens are this sounds like it will be a fantastic episode.

GoSpikey
April 22nd, 2008, 05:10 AM
ZOMG, I just watched that vid...

Loved the in-deeeeed in there! :P

They forgot so many, still :D

Where's Midway? :(

And Spock don't count!

RedWolf
April 22nd, 2008, 05:54 AM
LOL, a civilization of rogue timelords who survived the final time war :P

So Janus is the Doctor.:)

g.o.d
April 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
You mean the "cool" visual effects needed for non-humanoid aliens?

Yeah, why should they waste money on THAT?

instead of spending monez on the some weird aliens, they use money on space battles