PDA

View Full Version : Genii mining?

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 04:18 AM
What do you think the Genii were mining offworld on that base? It looked like a pretty extensive facility from the looks of things but nothing was hinted on what it was they were digging. Metals? Something more exotic? Typically, in SG-1, the team would encounter naquadah mines or trinium but neither of those materials have been mentioned on Atlantis and if they were then the Genii would have had a potent energy/metal base if that were the case.

So what were they mining?

Also, they had a symbol in the Genii mine when they crashed into it. Was that the Genii emblem?

Dobberman
February 10th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Well, there must be naquadah in the PG because a lot of Ancient technology uses it (unless they found a replacement for it) so perhaps it was naquadah. Though if the Genii had naquadah then they would probably use it for the nuclear weapons and we saw no sign of that. Perhaps it was just uranium or something.

Cory Holmes
February 10th, 2008, 07:18 AM
That facility was quite large, but we've seen the Genii do that before (their underground bunker springs to mind). Personally, I think that mining operation was started waaaaay back when the Genii were an interplanetary alliance, and the knowledge of that was lost when said confederation collapsed.

20 years ago, the current group of 1920s-era Genii rediscovered that facility and put the locals to work.

Totally unsupported by the show (yet) but that's my $0.02

JackHarkness_Hot
February 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Could be naquadah or simply could be coal, lol.

SGA-1
February 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Weren’t the Genii supposed to be super secretive in their underground hiding places/society… it seems as though almost everyone in the galaxy knows that they aren’t simple farmers…

Dutch_Razor
February 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I don't really remember the ep, so nr1 might be incorrect:

1 It might have been thought that the Genii in the ep were Genii farmers, not THE interplanetary superpower might stuff Genii
2 It might be that they stepped down from that after the SG team discovered them.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I agree though, it seemed like a pretty extensive facility. Makes one wonder on what kind of equipment the Genii have access to in order to build something like that.

Teelie
February 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Weren’t the Genii supposed to be super secretive in their underground hiding places/society… it seems as though almost everyone in the galaxy knows that they aren’t simple farmers…

That aspect seems to have been quietly phased out. For a super secret identity, they did a poor job of hiding it when everyone seems to have some Genii story to tell that does not involve farming.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Well to be fair, the farming aspect is primarily to make the Wraith think they are primitive; the affect on other human civilizations is just a bonus. With the number of Wraith Worshippers though, I think the Genii need to become extra careful as they might tip their masters about the underground city on the Genii homeworld. Mind you Im sure the Genii have contingencies in place just in case their homeworld falls but it would be a crippling blow if it happened.

mizzoueng
February 10th, 2008, 02:01 PM
There should be traces of the metal (or whatever) they are mining in the surrounding soil.

The Genii shouldn't have the mining precision to remove ALL traces of the material they are searching for. If they do, then maybe they got their hands on some Ancient mining equipment.

Maybe they will revisit the site in a latter episode, I would like to see what needed such an advanced and secure lock on that door.

YutheGreat
February 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Maybe they were mining Uranium. They needed it for their nukes didn't they. Might explain the toxins Keller was talking about.

Yeah it is a wonder why the Genii have not been discovered yet. It seems several planets know they are not simple farmers. Perhaps they were operating under a different name but it doesn't look that way.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Well, there must be naquadah in the PG because a lot of Ancient technology uses it (unless they found a replacement for it) so perhaps it was naquadah. Though if the Genii had naquadah then they would probably use it for the nuclear weapons and we saw no sign of that. Perhaps it was just uranium or something.

Uh not as far as I can recall.

Lord batchi ball
February 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
The stuff they put in THE BOMB, uranium, they said they had plenty of it.

SG13-NightOps
February 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The stuff they put in THE BOMB, uranium, they said they had plenty of it.

My thoughts exactly!

SGA-1
February 10th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I asked Joseph Mallozzi on his blog the comment that I posted before:

And his reply was:

They were, but as a result of their run-ins with Atlantis over the years and the shifting presence of the wraith, their super secret has been rendered…well, not so secret.

wise one
February 11th, 2008, 02:25 AM
wouldnt the wraith detected the underground mining since it was so near the surface

must of been uranium cant think of any other power source that genii use

jenks
February 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
The Genii use uranium as a power source?

artbrann
February 11th, 2008, 02:43 AM
well, they did develop(with help) some nukes, and they do have 'reactors'
it is a material that can be made into nukes/used in reactors
so odds are good they use it for something

SG13-NightOps
February 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
must of been uranium cant think of any other power source that genii use

Not for Power so much.

Nuclear Weapons. Weir negotiated for 2 in the Siege.

LABORATORY. Cowen has brought the team to a lab and Rodney is looking at a large tank.

McKAY: Well, you're on the right track. We're about sixty years ahead of you -- that is, if you survive. This shielding is woefully inadequate. Now, uranium ... (he turns and walk over to Cowen) ... how much do you have?

COWEN: Much more.

YutheGreat
February 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM
My thoughts exactly!

I'm just saying where did they get it? The Uranium, I mean. They had a stockpile because they mined it out of there 20 years ago. If they got it from their own homeworld why did they take too long to build their bombs.

gopher65
February 11th, 2008, 07:33 AM
If they got it from their own homeworld why did they take too long to build their bombs.
Because the Uranium in nukes is mostly U-235, and the stuff in the ground is mostly U-238 with only a tiny bit of U-235. They are very, very difficult to separate from each other. That's really the only tricky bit in building a primitive nuclear weapon. If you recall from the first Genii episode in season 1, Rodney actually talks about that for a bit.

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium-235), "Only around 0.72% of all natural uranium is uranium-235, the rest being mostly uranium-238. This concentration is insufficient for a self sustaining reaction in a light water reactor; enrichment, which just means separating out the uranium-238, must take place to get a usable concentration of uranium-235."

"The fissile uranium in nuclear weapons usually contains 85% or more of 235U known as weapon(s)-grade, though for a crude, inefficient weapon 20% is sufficient (called weapon(s)-usable); even less is sufficient, but then the critical mass required rapidly increases."

However, I agree that they were probably mining Uranium. It makes sense.

jenks
February 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm not so sure, didn't it say the mining took place 20 years ago?

gopher65
February 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I'm not so sure, didn't it say the mining took place 20 years ago?
Yes, and that is what has me confused. Not because they couldn't have had enough foresight to mine the Uranium and build enrichment facilities ahead of time (we did, though not 20 years ahead of time), but because the Genii were suppose to be a secret society until Atlantis ratted them out to everyone and the Wraith changed strategies.

So why were they engaged in an obvious mining operation? Surely the Wraith have basic atmospheric sensors that would have shown that a largescale mining operation was underway? Keller kept mentioning the contaminants in the atmosphere after all. It just seems to me that the Genii weren't exactly being secretive for a uber-secret society that was shown to kill anyone who discovers their level of advancement.

artbrann
February 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
it could have been mined for someone else first, and the Genii just muscled in after the other slubs were wiped from existance(like Sateda was) and the locals not living that long from radiation/air/accidents/wraith/quakes don't remember exactly who they were mining for then but with the Genii now they assumed it was the Genii then

SG13-NightOps
February 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, and that is what has me confused. Not because they couldn't have had enough foresight to mine the Uranium and build enrichment facilities ahead of time (we did, though not 20 years ahead of time), but because the Genii were suppose to be a secret society until Atlantis ratted them out to everyone and the Wraith changed strategies.

So why were they engaged in an obvious mining operation? Surely the Wraith have basic atmospheric sensors that would have shown that a largescale mining operation was underway? Keller kept mentioning the contaminants in the atmosphere after all. It just seems to me that the Genii weren't exactly being secretive for a uber-secret society that was shown to kill anyone who discovers their level of advancement.

On the wraith.. If we go aaaaaall the way back to Rising, we remember - they were hibernating. Shep woke them up.

Also if you think underground, Cowan mentioned wanting to test their first bomb in 5 years time. It was already a Slow process.

And as for their cover - they could have told anyone anything. Unless they too had the level of technology and expertise that the genii had, then for all they know, it could have been a simple metal deposit being dug up.

Tupopoflungo
February 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I do not know if this has already been answered...but the symbol in the mining shaft is indeed the symbol of the Genii. This is evidenced by the appearence of the symbol during "The storm" while kolya is training/fighting with the three people