PDA

View Full Version : Will Weir be recast?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 10th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Do you think they'll get Jessica Steen to play Weir again like in "Lost City" <snip>

vaberella
February 10th, 2008, 04:13 AM
As stupid as I found that paticular move, if it was one by TPTB...I can't deny that the thought did cross my mind. I think that's just because in Soaps (which I admit to loving to watch), they could change the character's actress 8 times and then go back to the original actress later on.

But then again, I've seen characters change race on Soaps. That's actually my favorite when they go from being one race to another. :D

In any event, it's unlikely to happen or they will face some serious backlash.

Mana
February 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I wondered the same thing! I do actually think it's possible. I mean, she is, afterall, repli-weir. Who's to say she cant change her appearance if she wants to? :3

TOIVA
February 10th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I think it's unlikely. The old blond Weir is not really suitable for the "evil" repli-Weir. A least, I can' imagine her in the dark leather jacket.:cameron:

Bagpuss
February 10th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Do you think they'll get Jessica Steen to play Weir again <snip>
I doubt JS will be asked to do a Weir-redux,or that she or her agent would set her up to be burned twice ,if they feel it isn't going to be a really good career move for her.

NO diss from me on either of them,as I like both actresses and both Weirs in their respective versions ,and I support Torri's decision to leave.

I think it more likely ,if the PTB go ahead with further replicator eps ,that they'll have a repli mention Weir's final demise ,without showing any detail.
( Or they may never mention her at all.)

JMO.:)

Livingstone
February 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I do like Steen, especially her part in Earth2 (A shame that one got cancelled after one season), so yeah... I wouldn't mind seeing that. Nevertheless, Torri will always be Weir in my mind.

Cree
February 10th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I just wouldnt see it working really, in my mind steen and torri's weirs are very different characters. besides Torri will always be weir to me!

The Signal
February 10th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Don't see it happening myself, I can't say it didn't cross my mind though.

maxbo
February 10th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I don't see that happening because I can't imagine that TPTB would to ask Jessica Steen to reprise a role that they already bumped her from once and also because I can't imagine that Jessica would see taking this role again as a good career move.

From her website, here's some related info, http://www.jessicasteen.com/jsp_faq.html:

Q: Jessica played the character of Dr. Elizabeth Weir in the season 7 finale' of Stargate SG-1. Why did they hire another actress to play that same character in the spinoff series Stargate: Atlantis?
A: We don't know why. When Jessica was hired for the 2 part Season 7 finale' (Lost City) she was told that her character might be in a possible Stargate spinoff series. Jessica was even paid not to take any other work until it was decided if they were going to do the spinoff. Stargate:Atlantis was eventually given the green light, but for whatever reason, "the powers that be" decided to go with another actress.

Based on the above info, I can't see either side wanting to revisit this potential can of worms.

Cree
February 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
do the tptb just hate anyone related to weir's character, hell weir for that matter. im really starting to get annoyed with how they have dealt with the character and the 2 people who played her!

cocytus
February 10th, 2008, 05:47 AM
This is sign of bad management.
Keeping Tori Higginson would have HELPED not hurt the show.
That the show runners couldn't see this makes me wonder exactly WHAT they are thinking.
I think that too many cast changes and no coherent storyline will bring this show (and the franchise) to a rapid end.
Season 5:Yes
Season 6:Maybe
Season 7: Probably not

Jeff O'Connor
February 10th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I don't think the franchise is going anywhere. SGA's numbers would have to do one hell of a nosedive in order for Universe not to get greenlit. It's something tried and true, something standard-issue and it isn't Farscape, so Sci-Fi will definitely be reasonable enough to pick it up at least to sample even if SGA loses enough viewership to reduce its own lifespan.

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I may not have much faith in TPTB, but I'm pretty sure they aren't imbecilic enough to replace Weir's actress AGAIN, especially not with the original actress. That's beyond wishy-washy and into full-blown lobotomized desperation.

But hey, if TPTB weren't interested in keeping Weir full time they probably won't be interested in keeping her around at all now that Torri's walked away. And that can only be a good thing, IMO. It's a shame it had to be this way, but it's better than the alternatives.

Jeff O'Connor
February 10th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I may not have much faith in TPTB, but I'm pretty sure they aren't imbecilic enough to replace Weir's actress AGAIN, especially not with the original actress. That's beyond wishy-washy and into full-blown lobotomized desperation.

But hey, if TPTB weren't interested in keeping Weir full time they probably won't be interested in keeping her around at all now that Torri's walked away. And that can only be a good thing, IMO. It's a shame it had to be this way, but it's better than the alternatives.

Very true. I'd rep, but you've always had it disabled, so instead, I'll give you a text-based thumbs-up.

Suzotchka
February 10th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Good Lord, let's hope not!

vaberella
February 10th, 2008, 06:41 AM
do the tptb just hate anyone related to weir's character, hell weir for that matter. im really starting to get annoyed with how they have dealt with the character and the 2 people who played her!

She's just been made out to be a non-functional character. Was brought in to manage military but was civilian. Then she was put in charge of an expedition, which yes, was to be civilian but had a large military sect. Which we can't deny the civilian and ex in general became dependent on, since it seems the military personnel spend more time visiting worlds than the civvies do. In that case more military direction. Then we also have to look at the problems with enemies. Keeping in mind that the Weir character is a negotiator and diplomat, we ended up with more problems than not and not a single viable ally.

Considering we had little allies and more enemies, you'd think the character would create a militia contingent as alternative back up to the military front yard. But here and lies the situation, the entire crutch of the problem.

The head of Atlantis, as reflected by Weir (irrespective of the actress playing the role) NEVER fully developed anything. She sat in her office deciding whether to open the gate or close the gate. She could have been interesting. We could have seen wicked scenes of her on a round table with leaders from civilian allies requesting military aid with their proven track record and properly providing supplies and exchange. Did we see any of that?! No.

Something simple and not demanding a huge cast, but to reflect on her presence and her importance. What we did get however is her asking Chuck to open or close the gate and playing solitaire or playing chess with Caldwell, making me wonder if she can even dial a gate.

Her character was shown as unproductive and actually the role itself as unproductive---leader of Atlantis. It seems to me during Adrift and Lifeline showed that SGA was far more functional without a clear and sole representative leader but actually a collective unit. All strong attributes of characters were used and displayed. I actually found it would be more entertaining on screen to see these characters in leadership positions commanding Atlantis on a larger unit.

We already know how much we like the team structure and how entertaining that is in a tight or relaxed environment. I thought they were great in action together leading the entire Atlantis. It would be great if they just try to do it like that...

Platschu
February 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Good Lord, let's hope not!
I think the same. I can imagine Jessica Steen as RepliWeir, but it would be a last humiliation to Torri Higginson. :( JC was replaced by her, so I think she didn't go away with good memories from the staff either. :S

ToasterOnFire
February 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Agreed.

So...we should be expecting the announcement sometime soon then? :D

melfan
February 10th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Doubtful.
Higginson been Wier since the start of the star of the show, and even if Steen took over, I think many fans would object to that.
To me, Torri is Wier, Steen not so much...

timtonruben359
February 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I doubt the producers will recast Weir...JM said they will revisit the Replicator storyline without Weir or Torri so it's very likely that Weir is dead...and very little reference will made to her.

melfan
February 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I doubt the producers will recast Weir...JM said they will revisit the Replicator storyline without Weir or Torri so it's very likely that Weir is dead...and very little reference will made to her.

You have a point there

JohnRico
February 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I can see something happening like we see Evil Weir for a few seconds on that ship (re used footage obviously) & then she will pull a Repli Keller & transform into her True Form (ala all roboty) & then take the form of some random person & Elizabeth Weirs story line is wrapped up

Skydiver
February 10th, 2008, 08:43 AM
the topic has been rephrased....will weir be recast.

let's keep away from all the speculation about torri and what you feel about her treatment/behavior and keep it to the simple question...will weir be recast?

Mack_1
February 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
The replicator arc needs to be adress in the future (SGA Season 5) if only to finished the replicators story in the SGA Universe after they left that door open.

As hard as it sound, Weir could be recast, doing some special efects and all,it could star with old fotage of the original Weir the one we saw in BAMSR, and then change into someone else.

Something the fans would like? Doub it. :mckay:

Something the producer will need if they green light this episode? Absoluttly.

It was done before with the original Weir, it can be done again, but it won't be as smooth as the first time.

Or just, as TPTB have been doing, don't adress the absence of Weir in the episode at all, thought that will be more harsh and will open a whole other door of especulating and hate mail.:mckay:

Skydiver
February 10th, 2008, 09:16 AM
i don't think they'll recast weir, per se, as much as a rep will show up and she'll have uncanny knowledge of the atlantis crew...and since the reps have that whole hive memory thing, she'll just say that repliweir was killed somehow, but she has access to weir's memories

the story could progress with just a minor amount of tweaking

it'd be akin to what they did with summit/last stand and Elliott.

originally, the story was written to bring back JR Bourne as Martouf and Lantash. but JR was busy doing 13 ghosts, so instead of it being marty, they just reprised Elliott from Proving Ground, and had him run into Lantash and get blended. he had lantash's and martouf's memories, but was a different character, and the story went on mostly as planned

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 09:21 AM
What would be the point of recasting the role for one episode, anyway? And closure has never been one of TPTB's strong points, anyway. Just ask the Ford fans. ;) Or Jonas fans, although I suppose the whole "Langara fell to the Ori" comment was meant to seal the lid on that one. Chances are they can do the same for Weir- write her off with a couple of lines. Or one. Heck, two words would take care of it: "She's dead." *shrug* Not elegant and probably not what fans want, but as TPTB have told us, Atlantis isn't about what fans want, it's about whatever story TPTB have to tell us. Unfortunately, closure is only an issue for fans.

Stargatemeg
February 10th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I doubt it I really do. Torri has fit into the character way to much that it would be awkward to introduce a new Weir. Also hopefully its just like what Micheal did in season 5 of sg-1 maybe she'll decide to come back to season 6. That would make me happy and maybe continue the Sparky!!:)

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Personally, I would say I hope not and hope they don't do something like kill her off-screen or something or bring her back just to kill her. I mean through Weir you have a perfect opportunity to help reform the Asurans; something personally I wanted to see with the Ori but that's another point.

Anyway I hope that Torri decides to come back at some point and they give her something good. Beyond that I would just like her to be mentioned in the background because, as mentioned, the Asurans have a subspace link so they would have access to her memories and all.

God I so miss Weir :(

Uber
February 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
i don't think they'll recast weir, per se, as much as a rep will show up and she'll have uncanny knowledge of the atlantis crew...and since the reps have that whole hive memory thing, she'll just say that repliweir was killed somehow, but she has access to weir's memories

the story could progress with just a minor amount of tweaking

it'd be akin to what they did with summit/last stand and Elliott.

originally, the story was written to bring back JR Bourne as Martouf and Lantash. but JR was busy doing 13 ghosts, so instead of it being marty, they just reprised Elliott from Proving Ground, and had him run into Lantash and get blended. he had lantash's and martouf's memories, but was a different character, and the story went on mostly as plannedI think you might be onto something.

They'd be able to "move" the storyline without relying on someone who can't be there, much like they did with Lantash as you said.

markaudette
February 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
It would be irresponsible to just drop the whole Repli-Weir storyline since Tori refused to return. It would just create a black hole in the storyline. And it would just be tacky to simply write repli-Weir off the show in some off screen appearance since Tori refuses to return. That would just be ugly, irresponsible story telling.

Since Tori won't return then just get Jessica to reprise her role as Weir and then be done with the whole repli-Weir storyline once and for all, damnit!

But for the love of all that's holy, don't just do away with the whole repli-Weir thing as some off-hand reference that happened off screen.

:weir:

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I just had a thought.... They show the clip from the end of BAMSBR, and then an asteriod crashing into the ship :P

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I just had a thought.... They show the clip from the end of BAMSBR, and then an asteriod crashing into the ship :P

:lol:

Willow'sCat
February 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Everyone says don't kill her off screen but she was killed off screen! I know some choose to ignore that but the real Weir was said to be dead, so either way in canon at the moment real Weir is dead. ;)

So really I don't see a problem, it is only a problem if you are a fan of Torri's but then Torri has made her own mind up not to return so everything is open now with RepliWeir. :)

I hope they somehow manage to keep the main story arc going with or without Weir. As for recasting, why not? :S Many shows recast minor characters and now Weir is a minor character. ;)

Killdeer
February 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
As for recasting, why not? :S Many shows recast minor characters and now Weir is a minor character. ;)

But she wasn't a minor character in the past. Jack O'Neill is a minor character now in the Stargate franchise, but you certainly wouldn't recast his character. Or recast General Hammond, etc, etc.

As far as the storyline itself, I suspect it will happen much like Skydiver has said.

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
It would be irresponsible to just drop the whole Repli-Weir storyline since Tori refused to return.
Says you. One could just as easily say that it'd be moronic to try and continue it without her.

It would just create a black hole in the storyline.
Oh yes, and heaven knows, TPTB have NEVER created gaping black holes in their stories before. ;)

And it would just be tacky to simply write repli-Weir off the show in some off screen appearance since Tori refuses to return. That would just be ugly, irresponsible story telling.
And it wouldn't be tacky, ugly and irresponsible to hire someone else for a one-off wrap-up?

Why is it that some people seem to be acting as if what Torri did was a reprehensible crime? And why act as if Weir's story is the only one in the history of Stargate that has ever been left unconcluded- for whatever the reason? How about Nem and and the Oannes? The Re'tu? Urgo? The Foothold aliens? Daniel's grandfather? Hailey? Harlan? "Tyler" from Fifth Man? Aris Boch? Jonas? What, he just went back home and that was it? A one-off line about his planet getting taken by the Ori and that's it?

What about Ford? Is he still out there or isn't he? Did we ever dind out what happened to the escapees in Condemned? That Genii chick Atlantis took hostage and never released (on screen)? What about Bates? Actually, I heard rumors we might finally hear the end of his story.

TPTB aren't big on wrapping their stories up in neat little packages, so why the sudden obsession with having a complete and perfect ending to Weir's story?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
February 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
^ Bates was in "Outcast"

TheLastSunset
February 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
It just makes me sad she's not returning - I mean, they already had a whole good arc for her. And now it could just go to waste. Plus, they completely filmed the start of the arc, with Weir in the ship at the end of the episode. Now it's just left hanging. It feels ugly a little bit and I hope she can someday return so they can do the arc but then it might be too late and it's just ****ed. But for me it's not anywhere near that bad. They shouldn't have already started filming that part if they weren't sure if she was going to be available - whatever, it will all work out, or become subconsciously engrained to non-hurt positive.

Edit - Hey, can anyone please give me all the links to the writers, producers, etc - their blogs? Thanks.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Edit - Hey, can anyone please give me all the links to the writers, producers, etc - their blogs? Thanks.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

Amalthea
February 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Personally, I don't like loose ends. They left a plot line open at the end of BAMSR, and I think they have to go with it. Whether that be with a re-cast Weir or just with some of repi-Weir's minions running around doing their thing, I don't care, but I do think it would be silly to just forget like it ever happened. For fans who are not interested in every little tidbit that happens behind the scenes, it would seem strange and ridiculous. Or for one day when it's in reruns being introduced to a new audience, there will be questions about how they could just abandon that idea.

Obviously, the writers had some arc in mind. Now it's going to have to be retooled and that's what I think they should do. I've seen enough posts in here complaining about how TPTBs killed a storyline too soon and how much could have been done with this, that or the other to give up on the replicators now.

If they recast Weir, it won't be the same, but such is life and it won't be the first time. If they somehow pour her consciousness into another body, it won't be the first time for that either. LOL It's sci fi... weird stuff is supposed to happen.

TheLastSunset
February 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

Thank you.

Mister Oragahn
February 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I wondered the same thing! I do actually think it's possible. I mean, she is, afterall, repli-weir. Who's to say she cant change her appearance if she wants to? :3

You solved their problem.
Now, who's really going to buy it?
What will the explanation be, if not very forced?

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you.

you're welcome :)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I hope not. I preferred Jessica's portrayal of Weir to Torri's however at this point it'd do more harm than good.

Linzi
February 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I don't think Weir will be re-cast, and I hope not.

I wonder if the repli character will have Torri's face on it and then morph into somebody else? It could still be Weir, of sorts, or maybe the character we saw in BAMSR was just a shapeshifting replicator in the first place, who just fancied looking like Weir? We never had it confirmed it actually was Weir.

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I wonder if the repli character will have Torri's face on it and then morph into somebody else? It could still be Weir, of sorts, or maybe the character we saw in BAMSR was just a shapeshifting replicator in the first place, who just fancied looking like Weir? We never had it confirmed it actually was Weir.

Look a flying pig. They could use visual effects to have Asuran change to Weir's face and then change back into the Asuran character. Basically I agree with Linzi's idea.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM

True. That could easily be done actually.

Linzi
February 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Look a flying pig. They could use visual effects to have Asuran change to Weir's face and then change back into the Asuran character. Basically I agree with Linzi's idea.
I'm starting to get a complex, Jel! ;)

Well, my idea is one way to get round it, but probably wrong! I don't see how they can continue the storyline with no reference to what we saw at the end of BAMSR. But I often guess wrong. Except for the plot of Trio. I knew what was happening in that before each new scene aired! :lol:

Oh yes, Peg is jealous I got a green from you, and wants to know where her one is? :)

SGAsgard
February 10th, 2008, 01:11 PM
SPOILERS for Mortal Coil and BAMSR

Most likely, perhaps just specualation, she will be destroyed.... The Asurans/ Replicators are quite crafty, perhaps if Weir is a replicator or perhaps she is still alive, but waht we saw was a how can i say this... Her but beging controled by the nanites that are keeping her alive, the Faction of the replciators that created the repli/human weir were lieing, (i know this is ii another thread but still) she was still alive and leading them, now after the Asurans were destroyed in BAMSR, and the Weir lead replicators made sure they were "completley wipied out" she was overthrown, her purpose being completed, as FRAN told us, :weir: "one always wishes to fulfill one's purpose" which she did (still unknow what that purpose is, but you never know) but anway she probably is being keept some where nice and safe just incase they need her again for something, i don't think Weir will be recast, but you never know it's happend before, and may as well happen again.... just my thoughts..:weir44:

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Oh yes, Peg is jealous I got a green from you, and wants to know where her one is? :)
She has to come up with something inteligent or funny. We know how difficult that is for someone with Peg's mentality;)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
She has to come up with something inteligent of funny. We know how difficult that is for someone with Peg's mentality;)

You better run Peg will hurt you.;)

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
You better run Peg will hurt you.;)

Peg is all bark and no bite;)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Peg is all bark and no bite;)

Now you really better run.;)

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Now you really better run.;)

I fear knowone. All whumpers are weaker than McKay.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I fear knowone. All whumpers are weaker than McKay.

The force is strong in you my apprentice. The darkside beckons thee.;)

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Good thing I despise Star Wars

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Good thing I despise Star Wars

:jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05:
How can anyone hate Star Wars?!!!

kymeric
February 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
:jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05::jack_new_anime05:
How can anyone hate Star Wars?!!!

Ever see episode one of the prequils? Seriously how many times can an annoying kid accidentally save the day? :-p

SG13-NightOps
February 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Doubtful. I think for all intents and purposes, Weir is now dead.

Lord batchi ball
February 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
They better not replace Wier. That would be very cheap.

the fifth man
February 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I would rather they not recast the part of Weir. I'll always remember her as being played by Torri.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Ever see episode one of the prequils? Seriously how many times can an annoying kid accidentally save the day? :-p

Yes I have and I actually love it though episode II is better.

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
All Star Wars is bad

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
All Star Wars is bad

In your humble opinion.;)

Skydiver
February 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
points at the topic

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
points at the topic

Sorry my fault.:o

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
points at the topic

What is that topic you speak of?:o

Reiko
February 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This is sign of bad management.
Keeping Tori Higginson would have HELPED not hurt the show.
That the show runners couldn't see this makes me wonder exactly WHAT they are thinking.
I think that too many cast changes and no coherent storyline will bring this show (and the franchise) to a rapid end.

I agree with you cocytus. This is just my opinion, but if tptb never offed Elizabeth and Carson there wouldn't be what in my eyes could only be called a fandom implosion. The cast changes are enough; the last thing we need is to switch Weir's actress. Because, for lots of us Torri was the only Weir we ever knew and she is too well in her role to be replaced.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did replace her. Its not a choice I would agree with, but tptb are capable of doing it. At this rate they could use a nice lobotomy IMO :P

PG15
February 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
They're not going to recast Weir.

JM has mentioned that they're revising the script now that Torri is no longer part of it, which obviously means that they're working Weir out of the script. If they're just going to recast Weir, then there would be no need to change the script at all.

Bagpuss
February 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I agree ,PG15 .
I didn't think they'd go that route ,but it's good to know they won't ! :)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM

JM has mentioned that they're revising the script now that Torri is no longer part of it, which obviously means that they're working Weir out of the script. If they're just going to recast Weir, then there would be no need to change the script at all.

Good point.

Skydiver
February 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
figured that.

my instinct is that a new character will show up, possessing weir's memories since the reps do that whole 'learning by osmosis' thing (the hive mind sharing bit)

that'd be the easiest all around, and, if they want to, add some angst cause this potential new rep could address any unhandled issues - like saying good bye, etc.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
figured that.

my instinct is that a new character will show up, possessing weir's memories since the reps do that whole 'learning by osmosis' thing (the hive mind sharing bit)

that'd be the easiest all around, and, if they want to, add some angst cause this potential new rep could address any unhandled issues - like saying good bye, etc.

Most likely.

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
my instinct is that a new character will show up, possessing weir's memories
Someone younger and more buxom? ;)

Reiko
February 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Someone younger and more buxom? ;)

A draw to that beloved key demographic? ;)

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM

you realize this is pure speculation right? they may not even introduce another character ;)

Fenrir Foxz
February 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM

That would not surprise me, plus the Replicators can change appearence thanks to Rodney tampering with their basecode... I don't believe that was an evil Weir at the end of BAMSR but if it was there is alot to be gained by changing appearence so the replicator imposter might just choose a new appearence and move on...

you realize this is pure speculation right? they may not even introduce another character ;)

yeah it is possible TPTB will deal wth the whereabouts of Weir without ever showing the character...

vaberella
February 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Lesbians age 15-45, right?

Thanks for the update. But this was a gimme.

Bagpuss
February 11th, 2008, 04:00 AM

Could play out that way .:cool:
(If they go that route ,I suppose they could insert flashbacks of Weir to back up the new model's exposition ? Just a thought.)

Skydiver
February 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM
maybe, maybe not. it all depends on torri's contract and if they can use flashback images of her in an episode and whether or not they have to pay her for it.

that's why the credits for babylon5's quckie new finale (eps 420 became 520 when they unexpectedly got a new season) had to be redone to take claudia out of it. see, the way her contract read, if she was in the credits, she got paid. and they didn't want to do that, so they remade the credits to take her out so she coudl be in the credits in the episode she was giong to be in, the new 520

Linzi
February 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM
maybe, maybe not. it all depends on torri's contract and if they can use flashback images of her in an episode and whether or not they have to pay her for it.

that's why the credits for babylon5's quckie new finale (eps 420 became 520 when they unexpectedly got a new season) had to be redone to take claudia out of it. see, the way her contract read, if she was in the credits, she got paid. and they didn't want to do that, so they remade the credits to take her out so she coudl be in the credits in the episode she was giong to be in, the new 520
Really? I didn't know that, though I'm not surprised.

Hmmm, this could be more complicated than I originally had anticipated! So, I wonder then if they wouldn't be able to use existing footage and then morph Weir into someone else?

Bagpuss
February 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
If it costs too much ,then they'll probably not do that ,then .

That makes a lot of sense .I never got that deeply into B5 to know much about the ins and outs of the show and it's actor contracts.Thanks !:cool:

prion
February 11th, 2008, 05:20 AM

I believe they could use flashbacks. But I hope they don't recast Weir. It's one thing to have an actor take over for another after the character appeared once (as in a pilot) but to do it three years in? We're in soap opera territory, and then Sheppard's evil twin with the goatee might as well show up.

Skydiver
February 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
it all depends on what is/isn't in her contract.

in claudia's case, it was the credits. torri may or may not have a clause like that or it may not apply.

in the case of peter wingfield - tanith - they wanted him back to do a bit, he and they disagreed on timing and pay, so they simply CG'd his face on a body in the cockpit of an alkash and crashed it...effectively killing off tanith and peter wingfield never even set foot on the set

i really - creatively - can't see a reason to morph the faces rather than just having a new person have weir's memories and knowledge, and that can be part of the mystery. who is this person and how come they know so much?

SMB_BOOKS
February 11th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I sincerely hope the character of Elizabeth Weir will not be recast.

For me, I identify Torri with the character of Elizabeth far too much to accept another actress. Rational or not, that's the way it is for me.

I'm not saying don't wrap up the storyline. I just don't want the character recast.

Briangate78
February 11th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I sincerely hope the character of Elizabeth Weir will not be recast.

For me, I identify Torri with the character of Elizabeth far too much to accept another actress. Rational or not, that's the way it is for me.

I'm not saying don't wrap up the storyline. I just don't want the character recast.

I agree. I'd rather have some Flashbacks with Torri in them. Maybe by some miracle they could offer her something better for S6.

vaberella
February 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I agree. I'd rather have some Flashbacks with Torri in them. Maybe by some miracle they could offer her something better for S6.

That just won't fly in the long run. Ford was elminated in S2, the only real chance of bringing him back into something viable was in S3. By S4, we can't really see something credible for him---even though when you compare Ford and Weir...Ford has a better leg to stand on.

It makes no sense, why a bunch of replis are running around without their leader...since the repli scenario is still in affect. If Weir is taken out of the story it doesn't fly for me that she shows up randomly in S6. Replis don't look to wor alone, one of which was the last repli in Progeny...and he was just frozen. To have a group that was together and then missing one, meh...I can't swim by that boat.

If they take her out in S5, I wouldn't want to revisit the character in S6. If they dumped the entire story with replis, then I'd say it would be stronger to have her come back in S6. But as it runs the story is in effect without Weir, then at this point I'd say "laissez tombe"---accent on the e.

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
it all depends on what is/isn't in her contract.

in claudia's case, it was the credits. torri may or may not have a clause like that or it may not apply.

in the case of peter wingfield - tanith - they wanted him back to do a bit, he and they disagreed on timing and pay, so they simply CG'd his face on a body in the cockpit of an alkash and crashed it...effectively killing off tanith and peter wingfield never even set foot on the set
It was really obvious though it was well done. They could easily do the same for Weir.

i really - creatively - can't see a reason to morph the faces rather than just having a new person have weir's memories and knowledge, and that can be part of the mystery. who is this person and how come they know so much?
Agreed.

Willow'sCat
February 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
For me, I identify Torri with the character of Elizabeth far too much to accept another actress. Rational or not, that's the way it is for me.And now you know how I feel about Jessica in the role. ;)

I think they need to just let her die in all her forms now. No more back from the fraking dead plots either. :cool::rolleyes:

Although unlike PG15 there is nothing in Joe M post that has me thinking they still couldn't cast another character/actress in the Replicator role... just not have it be RepliWeir. A rewrite in show business could mean anything from a total revamp, to only changing a few lines... and Joe is so rarely crystal clear on these things... and why should he be? The last thing he wants is another campaign started. :p

PG15
February 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Although unlike PG15 there is nothing in Joe M post that has me thinking they still couldn't cast another character/actress in the Replicator role... just not have it be RepliWeir.

I never said they wouldn't. In fact, I think that's what they're going to do.

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I never said they wouldn't. In fact, I think that's what they're going to do.

Yeah and just say that the real Weir is indeed dead.

JohnRico
February 11th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I can picture something happening like. An episode would start with that ending Weir scene then after she says that evil quote she changes into Sheppard (does evil laugh) & then she changes into Ronon (does evil laugh) & the main team & you get the idea & then she finally turns into Fran as her final form

:eek:

nx01a
February 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I believe they could use flashbacks. But I hope they don't recast Weir. It's one thing to have an actor take over for another after the character appeared once (as in a pilot) but to do it three years in? We're in soap opera territory, and then Sheppard's evil twin with the goatee might as well show up.
Speaking of flashbacks... Jadzia Dax in the final season of DS9. She's left the show and tptb used her image without her approval and then she didn't give permission for any flashbacks, images, etc. to be used in the series finale. Maybe Higginson'll let our tptb use her face, if only temporarily morphed across a shapeshifting replicator instants before it gets droned to nanites.:weir:

These Replicators can change their appearance, so I guess they could simply have The Replicator Formerly Known As Weir, though I hope they don't use the Weir concept at all without Higginson.

nx01a
February 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I can picture something happening like. An episode would start with that ending Weir scene then after she says that evil quote she changes into Sheppard (does evil laugh) & then she changes into Ronon (does evil laugh) & the main team & you get the idea & then she finally turns into Fran as her final form
"Hello."
*exterior shot of Atlantis exploding*

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
"Hello."

Oooo I like that only if it's not Atlantis.

JohnRico
February 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
"Hello."

Or Fran can say "Were you expecting someone else" ? then laugh

Jumper_One
February 11th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Or Fran can say "Were you expecting someone else" ? then laugh

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/motivator1456476.jpg

nx01a
February 11th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Paste her head onto Weir's leatherclad body and we're in business.

Mitchell82
February 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/motivator1456476.jpg

Jumper_One
February 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Paste her head onto Weir's leatherclad body and we're in business.

Bey0nd
April 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM

Have you seen her on the tv show Heartland ?

Aussie_Fan
April 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Speaking of flashbacks... Jadzia Dax in the final season of DS9. She's left the show and tptb used her image without her approval and then she didn't give permission for any flashbacks, images, etc. to be used in the series finale. Maybe Higginson'll let our tptb use her face, if only temporarily morphed across a shapeshifting replicator instants before it gets droned to nanites.:weir:

These Replicators can change their appearance, so I guess they could simply have The Replicator Formerly Known As Weir, though I hope they don't use the Weir concept at all without Higginson.

Oh my goodness... I've always watched the DS9 finale and wondered why there were never any Jadzia flashbacks.... and the light bulb clicks! *Ding*

I really hope they don't do anything a long the lines of a 'Replicator Formerly Known As Weir.' That would drive me batty.

After seeing her play the part for 3 seasons, like most people, I identify Weir with Torri. And honestly.. could the show sink any lower?..

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2008, 04:44 AM
And honestly.. could the show sink any lower?..

You really want that question answered? :cool:

jenks
April 23rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Oh my goodness... I've always watched the DS9 finale and wondered why there were never any Jadzia flashbacks.... and the light bulb clicks! *Ding*

I really hope they don't do anything a long the lines of a 'Replicator Formerly Known As Weir.' That would drive me batty.

After seeing her play the part for 3 seasons, like most people, I identify Weir with Torri. And honestly.. could the show sink any lower?..

Any lower than keeping Weir for three seasons? I doubt it, no...

Ice Wolf
April 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Well they could always hire you :D

jenks
April 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Oh dear...

Reiko
April 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
You really want that question answered? :cool:

.: Oh, I think we all know the answer ;):cool:

Any lower than keeping Weir for three seasons? I doubt it, no...

.: Don't diss Lizzie! :mad:

Well they could always hire you :D

.: :D :D *gives big uber-green to Ice Wolf* :D :D I just cakled really loud and everybody's looking funny at me... ;):P:o

PG15
April 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
.: Don't diss Lizzie! :mad:

Look who's talking. :p

jelgate
April 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Look who's talking. :p

I see double standards.

SMB_BOOKS
April 23rd, 2008, 11:40 AM
I certainly hope Weir will not be recast. TPTB chose to remove the character from the show. When they offered the actress who played the character one episode in Season 5, she declined to reprise the role.

Let the character be done.

Personally, I wish Elizabeth Weir had never been removed from the line-up. Big surprise there, eh? But, since TPTB made that decision, I hope they don't recast the role. For me, the character of Elizabeth Weir is represented by Torri's portrayal of her. I realize there was another actress before Torri when the character was introduced on SG-1 and I mean no disrespect to the folks who supported the other actress. It's just that I wasn't an SG-1 fan, so my preference for the character is for Torri's portrayal of her.

Daniel Jackson
April 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Dr. Weir will be recast, check out the below quote. It's from GateWorld's webpage for 5-05 "Ghost in the Machine."

It is Fran (Michelle Morgan), the "Friendly Replicator ANdroid" engineered by Dr. McKay last year ("Be All My Sins Remember'd"). Apparently now missing their bodies, the Replicators have come to Atlantis. And their leader is someone very, very close to the Atlantis team: Elizabeth Weir herself.

Weir will not be played by actress Torri Higginson, who turned down the offer to appear in the episode (story). Instead the script was rewritten so that the cliffhanger could be resolved and the story continued without her.

The existence of disembodied Replicator consciousnesses in the episode may go a long way in explaining just how this science fiction feat will be accomplished -- if the Weir from "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was, in fact, a Replicator duplicate and not the human Weir, who the Replicators claimed had been killed ("This Mortal Coil").

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2008, 01:36 PM
Dr. Weir will be recast, check out the below quote. It's from GateWorld's webpage for 5-05 "Ghost in the Machine."

Technically I wouldn't call that a recast... It's a solution to a problem - TH turned the part down so instead Elizabeth is stuck in a different body and chooses Fran since the expedition already knows the Friendly Replicator ANdroid. As such I expect them to approach Fran as Fran, until they learn whose conscious she's carrying.

Reiko
April 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
.: What? :S I never in the right of my mind have ever recalled dissing Elizabeth or Torri ... :S

.: @SMB - I agree with you here. PTB loses. Karma bites. Unless there's a change in PTB (looking from a kindness and human standpoint here, not just a writing/production one) no Weir for any of us :(:D

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
.: What? :S I never in the right of my mind have ever recalled dissing Elizabeth or Torri ... :S

That's not what they meant... I think they're referring to the dissing of Keller by you (and everyone else). :o

ShadowMaat
April 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
I may not have much faith in TPTB, but I'm pretty sure they aren't imbecilic enough to replace Weir's actress AGAIN...

It seems I stand corrected. :rolleyes: I guess this is a good lesson: never underestimate the desperation of TPTB.

Technically I wouldn't call that a recast... It's a solution to a problem - TH turned the part down so instead Elizabeth is stuck in a different body...
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. If she thinks like Weir, acts like Weir, and has Weir's memories/mannerisms then it's Weir, regardless of the physical shell. That says "recast" to me.

And I was right about her being younger and more buxom, wasn't I? :rolleyes:

jenks
April 23rd, 2008, 02:22 PM
It seems I stand corrected. :rolleyes: I guess this is a good lesson: never underestimate the desperation of TPTB.

Oh come on, if they'd just ignored her and left the storyline dangling you'd have complained about that too.

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. If she thinks like Weir, acts like Weir, and has Weir's memories/mannerisms then it's Weir, regardless of the physical shell. That says "recast" to me.

Well, if you put it that way... :p

100 points go to... :p

Reiko
April 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
.: Either way their compensating for their ill treatment dumping loss of Torri/Elizabeth.

jenks
April 23rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
What's to compensate for? Giving her the boot is possibly the greatest decision Mallozzi and Mullie have ever made, they deserve a medal if anything.

GoSpikey
April 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Am I gonna get kicked for this:

Will Weir be recast?

How many posts does it take to say 'yes', 'no', or 'maybe'?

:D :D :D

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
How many posts does it take to say 'yes', 'no', or 'maybe'?

A lot more than you think...

PG15
April 23rd, 2008, 04:48 PM

Not really. Recasting usually means there's no mention of the switch in actors. Everything's business as usual.

Like...oh, the recast of Weir back in New Order. ;)

Younger, yes. But then, the original Fran was younger, so if they wanted to bring her back to fill the role of Elizabeth (and why not, everyone loved Fran), then she'd be naturally younger, no?

More buxom? I don't think so.

ShadowMaat
April 23rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Not really. Recasting usually means there's no mention of the switch in actors. Everything's business as usual.
Because it's part of the gimmick they're using to pretend that it isn't a recast.

PG15
April 23rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Alright...

Well, if this counts as a recast, then I say bring it on. I can't wait. :D

I guess there's nothing wrong with recasting, as long as there's a valid reason, especially when you don't have much of a choice.

jenks
April 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Because it's part of the gimmick they're using to pretend that it isn't a recast.

It's about as much of a recast as when Chris Judge played O'neill in 'Holiday'.

pbellosom
April 24th, 2008, 03:13 AM

But that's the problem. The ending of BAMSR makes it very hard to pick up the replicator storyline without having Weir in it.

Personally I reckon that if the PTB have tried to get Tori back and were unable to do so, then a recast is the way to go. I want this storyline to continue.

Ice Wolf
April 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM
But that's the problem. The ending of BAMSR makes it very hard to pick up the replicator storyline without having Weir in it.

Personally I reckon that if the PTB have tried to get Tori back and were unable to do so, then a recast is the way to go. I want this storyline to continue.
I don't this was Weir's story I don't give a crap about it unless Weir is in it and Torri is Weir a recast won't do no matter how it is justified. It's not like they haven't left plots hanging before.

KindlyKeller
April 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I don't this was Weir's story I don't give a crap about it unless Weir is in it and Torri is Weir a recast won't do no matter how it is justified. It's not like they haven't left plots hanging before.

Well, they've already said they're going ahead with the story.

I'd be fine personally with a recast of Weir, but it might not even be necessary. Unless that was the real Weir, Replicators change form all the time, so I think it'd be an easy explanation. I've not read any spoilers on the subject, but I'd imagine it wasn't a huge problem for the writers.

Ice Wolf
April 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Well, they've already said they're going ahead with the story.

I'd be fine personally with a recast of Weir, but it might not even be necessary. Unless that was the real Weir, Replicators change form all the time, so I think it'd be an easy explanation. I've not read any spoilers on the subject, but I'd imagine it wasn't a huge problem for the writers.

Of course they have gone ahead with. But just cause they've gone ahead with it doesn't mean its a good idea. Since when have the Asurans changed form all the time, they seem to settle on a consistent form for a personality/pyche. It wasn't a huge problem for the writers because they went for a cop out. They could have rewritten the episode to not have Weir involved in the plot. She could still be out there without her being directly involved. They could have just brought FRAN back as FRAN etc. They had a lot of options that would have been better than a half-arsed attempt at recasting with calling it a recast.

SMB_BOOKS
April 24th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I don't know what they have planned of course, but I would hazard a guess that TPTB have had no trouble moving ahead with the replicator storyline. Since Elizabeth was potentially only going to be in the one episode, I don't suppose it involved a huge restructuring of their plans.

IMO, writing this character down to less than recurring was a bad move and I wish that it had never happened. But, now that it has, and given the fact it doesn't look like the current PTB are going anywhere anytime soon and given the fact Torri declined to reprise the role for the one episode they offered her, I say, don't recast the character.