PDA

View Full Version : STUPID...Stupid.....stupid

o-0
February 9th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Three GENIUS heads are better than one, right? WRONG!!!!
The danger of the room collapsing was due to the extra weight of the 3 of them and the soil they dropped inside, SO WHY NOT JUST THROW OUT SOME OF THE USELESS WEIGHT? They had a door that had a chasm on the other side where they could've tossed out everything in the room that they couldn't use and all they would have to do is wait for Atlantis to check in. ITS THAT SIMPLE.

I'm getting tired of the lack of intelligence these geniuses seem to have. If you want to make an episode that focuses on character development, don't get too focused on the characters because then you make mistakes such as this. THATS RIGHT I'M TALKING TO YOU, WRITERS!!!!

February 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Keller was shown scooping the dirt out the door. They thought they needed the crates to climb back out, so they didn't get rid of those. As for waiting for Atlantis, well, the room was destabilized already and the tremors were making it worse.

PG15
February 9th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Well, they can either dump everything and hope that the box doesn't collapse in the next 5.5 hours, or they can keep some of the stuff and attempt to escape before the box collapses.

I think both options makes sense, and knowing the trio, I doubt they'll just sit on their hands hoping the next few tremors won't shake the box loose. They'll do something about it, which means they'll need the stuff.

Avenger
February 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
With the tremors destabilizing the room as quickly as it was, they had to try to get out. They needed some of the stuff in the room to do it. It didn't catch Keller scooping dirt, but I must not have been paying close enough attention. But good that she was show doing it.

Detox
February 9th, 2008, 11:24 PM
The danger of the room collapsing was due to the extra weight of the 3 of them and the soil they dropped inside, SO WHY NOT JUST THROW OUT SOME OF THE USELESS WEIGHT? They had a door that had a chasm on the other side where they could've tossed out everything in the room that they couldn't use and all they would have to do is wait for Atlantis to check in. ITS THAT SIMPLE.

I'm getting tired of the lack of intelligence these geniuses seem to have. If you want to make an episode that focuses on character development, don't get too focused on the characters because then you make mistakes such as this. THATS RIGHT I'M TALKING TO YOU, WRITERS!!!!

Keller was shown scooping the dirt out the door. They thought they needed the crates to climb back out, so they didn't get rid of those. As for waiting for Atlantis, well, the room was destabilized already and the tremors were making it worse.

You must feel like such an idiot now.

o-0
February 9th, 2008, 11:43 PM
I re-watched the episode just now and didn't see her scooping any dirt anywhere. As for the crates, after the first attempt failed, they would have no reason for using all of them again (the bar trick only used one or two crates and there were several in the room that they didn't need).

You must feel like such an idiot now.
Nope, quite the contrary.

WarLud
February 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Well, you should feel like an idiot. I just went back and checked. Keller did scoop dirt out of the room. It happens 10 minutes into the episode when they start to stack the crates for the first time.

PG15
February 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
^Yep. And here's proof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/PGfifteen/AtlantisDirt1.jpg

As for the crates; after the initial failure, they didn't know that they'd only need a few more. That's the point. They don't know what they'll need, so they can't just randomly throw things away.

nx01a
February 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'd revise that to two genius heads. And one girl who can do a bar trick for free beer instead of flashing her chest. And sweep. She sweeps dirt.

February 10th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I re-watched the episode just now and didn't see her scooping any dirt anywhere. As for the crates, after the first attempt failed, they would have no reason for using all of them again (the bar trick only used one or two crates and there were several in the room that they didn't need).

Watch it again. Right after they decide to stack the boxes the first time.

INT. UNDERGROUND ROOM

KELLER: Well, there are a lot of... a lot of crates in here.
MCKAY: Yeah, rickety old ones. I killed like three of them on the way down.
KELLER: Yeah but maybe we could make a pyramid. Stack 'em up. Climb out.
MCKAY: I don't think there's enough to...
CARTER: Uh, there are, actually... Just barely enough to get us high enough. We should be able to make it work.
MCKAY: Think it'll support our weight?
CARTER: Only one way to find out.

MCKAY and KELLER help Sam push one of the larger crates. Music starts as the shot fades to the next shot.

INT. UNDERGROUND MINING FACILITY

KELLER scoops dirt out of the room through the now opened RED DOOR by using a piece of debris as a sweeper. CARTER can be seen moving another crate in the background.

MCKAY: Alright. I figure if we're going to do this, we need to stack these things like twenty feet high if we're going to climb out. So no matter how we build it, it's gonna be unstable.

jenks
February 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I re-watched the episode just now and didn't see her scooping any dirt anywhere.

So, the real problem is you haven't been paying attention.

As for the crates, after the first attempt failed, they would have no reason for using all of them again (the bar trick only used one or two crates and there were several in the room that they didn't need).

How could they have known that?

Keep digging.

UNRE4L
February 10th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Hate to burst anyone's bubble, that was a stupid episode imo. They have completely wandered off the story line and anything which has remotely to do with Stargate, Atlantis or space in general. The only thing I enjoyed was to see Sam bounce off the floor that many times. Jeez.

jyh
February 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Y'know, at first I was prepared to think the same thing: you have the two most brilliant minds of Atlantis, plus someone who finished college at age 18, stuck in a box. Can they figure out how to get out? (Sounds like a question on an IQ test. It's also sort of like "Apollo 13": here's our dire circumstances, and all we have to work with are these random items.) Anyway, I myself was wondering how it would play out, and secretly hoping the characters didn't act stupidly and UNcharacteristically.

So I watched the show warily, but I was very glad to see throughout that everyone acted respectably and very IN-character. As I mentioned on another thread, all three of them came up with at least one viable idea. Did those ideas work out? No, obviously.... but not due to anything THEY did. The episode ended up being a good combination of brains and brawn.

My only quibbles (which are very minor): I thought that by the time they finished the two separate attempts with the boxes, it would have been almost the time for Atlantis to come. (Altho, no, they couldn't necessarily wait for that because they didn't know when the room would collapse.) Also, I wondered why these particular three characters (a physicist, a doctor, and the team leader) would be the ones to talk to the planet's populace. Carter makes sense because she's a voice of authority (altho not to THEM), and McKay might make sense as he can explain the danger of the tremors--but they should have found someone w/ better diplomatic skills. But why take a doctor? What sense did that make? Plus, it seemed odd that nobody was scheduled to meet them at the gate, either other Atlantis team members or town leaders. Those are my only (minor) quibbles.

wolverine_nl
February 10th, 2008, 05:20 AM
A big minus to the one that started this thread, please get the facts straight before posting such a thread, and you can do better than all those capitals.

Cory Holmes
February 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
And one girl who can do a bar trick for free beer instead of flashing her chest.

Isn't that a bar trick for free beer...? ;)

wolverine_nl
February 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM

lol i have seen that in several bar's :P so i guess it qualifies as one

Obi1
February 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I agree with the notion that they should have eliminated excess weight in the room to compensate for their arrival. The crates alone I think would have gone a long way toward shedding the weight along with scooping out the dirt. The room had been there for what appeared to be decades even with the quakes. It seems like a very odd coincidence that the room should decide to fall hours after the trio arrived if it wasn't a factor of the extra weight.

So, IMO, they should have gotten rid of the crates by busting them up and scooping them out the red door. I betcha that hanging chain int he room alone weighed 100 lbs.

Dutch_Razor
February 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM

So first you get rid of all the material in the room, then you figure you could use 2 crates and a support beam to climb out of there. Wait, wait, didn't we just throw that out of the room?

Obi1
February 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
or don't bother climbing out at all. The place was very old and like Keller said, "this place is just a tetanus shot waiting to happen." They should have known with their collective brainpower that the crates were too unstable to support any of them as well as the frequent quakes making it hazardous to climb anywhere.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Well remember that the place was suffering from constant tremors so even if they removed the extra weight beyondthe dirt then eventually the place would have collapsed. So they had to find alternatives to escape the place.

I felt sorry for poor Sam... I mean two attempts and she failed badly... and not the good fail, I mean she got injured quite badly. I quite enjoyed the character interactions.

Obi1
February 10th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Well remember that the place was suffering from constant tremors so even if they removed the extra weight beyondthe dirt then eventually the place would have collapsed. So they had to find alternatives to escape the place.

I'm saying that the place stood there for decades without collapsing and their weight is what caused the room to ultimately collapse. So it would stand to reason that the room might still be there if they hadn't fallen in. Since they did, they should have gotten rid of the excess weight.

dec55
February 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I'd revise that to two genius heads. And one girl who can do a bar trick for free beer instead of flashing her chest. And sweep. She sweeps dirt.

The one girl who found the way out and helped the two others into the safety shaft..... Keller wins the Hero/genius contest....:lol Game over.:ronan:

o-0
February 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
OK, my bad on the dirt part; I had to rewatch the episode on youtube which was extremely bad quality.

Still, after they tried to stack the crates Rodney specifically said, "The bottom level wont hold. The crates aren't strong enough to stack." Therefore, they should have at least brought up the idea of dumping the extra useless weight in the room to buy them more time. By extra useless weight, I mean the crates that were destroyed from the first attempt and anything else in the room that didn't seem useful. For the bar trick, they only needed two crates and a few wooden boards (I think they should have used two boards or more for each side instead of just one for extra support).

Another thing about the bar trick is, if they didn't throw out the crates then they could've used them for this trick by stacking them in the middle of the structure to add extra support to the center where all of the weight was concentrated.

After the bar trick failed, there was no point in keeping the crates (if there were any left), especially since Rodney came up with the cannon idea. My point is, there were a lot of things that they could have done to maximize their chances of success and survival but that they didn't do.

s09119
February 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Look, the point is thus; when you don't know exactly what out of the present materials you'll need down the road, you don't get rid of any of them. In any emergency situation, you try and keep as many materials on hand, no matter how useless they may seem at the time. For example, had they gotten rid of the heavy piping early on, McKay's canon would never have worked.

Whether or not you think it was a good idea doesn't really matter here, because it was doing the opposite of what you suggested that saved their lives in the long run.

Prior_of_the_Ori
February 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
We were shown Keller sweep away the dirt, I think it would have been pointless for them to have shown them moving the boxes as well. I mean they were shown to have made use of various plots and all failed for one reason or another. For them to write about getting rid of the weight which might not have done any good would have been nothing but a waste of show time. Ultimately, the place had grown to be unstable so its better to have attempted to leave rather then sit around in hopes that the place wouldnt just fall over.

To be honest, I think it turned out quite nice as it shows that despite having the two greatest minds on Earth - they were still incapable of finding a way out of the mine through their own means. I mean it could very well have been the case that they just get the Daedalus or Apollo over the planet and beam them out but that would have just made the entire episode a waste of storyline. This way it was done quite nicely, by sheer luck and Keller's near demise were they able to find a way out.

o-0
February 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Look, the point is thus; when you don't know exactly what out of the present materials you'll need down the road, you don't get rid of any of them. In any emergency situation, you try and keep as many materials on hand, no matter how useless they may seem at the time. For example, had they gotten rid of the heavy piping early on, McKay's canon would never have worked.

Whether or not you think it was a good idea doesn't really matter here, because it was doing the opposite of what you suggested that saved their lives in the long run.

They used a rope to swing out of there. How is that the opposite of anything I said?

Also, by your reasoning, even if it is causing your demise, you should keep any and all materials with you. If you were drowning in the sea and there were huge wooden crates tied to your legs, keeping you down, would you keep them tied to your legs because they might prove useful later on?

s09119
February 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Also, by your reasoning, even if it is causing your demise, you should keep any and all materials with you. If you were drowning in the sea and there were huge wooden crates tied to your legs, keeping you down, would you keep them tied to your legs because they might prove useful later on?

You're twisting what I said and you know it. Obviously if there's something that's going to kill you right now, you drop it. But all that stuff wasn't going to kill them straight-away, was it? They knew they had time to try and figure a way out of there, so they kept the stuff. If it had seemed it was going to collapse within a minute, they would have shoved everything out.

PG15
February 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Huge wooden crates wouldn't drag you down underwater. ;)

o-0
February 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
You're twisting what I said and you know it. Obviously if there's something that's going to kill you right now, you drop it. But all that stuff wasn't going to kill them straight-away, was it? They knew they had time to try and figure a way out of there, so they kept the stuff. If it had seemed it was going to collapse within a minute, they would have shoved everything out.
The room was creaking like crazy and the tremors should have scared them enough. It would've seemed like the room was gonna fall soon for me.

Huge wooden crates wouldn't drag you down underwater. ;)
Huge wooden crates filled with heavy things then.

LORD MONK
February 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Spoilers. Forgot how to do it, my bad..... If you don't want season five spoiled then don't read. Once again, my bad.

How about the ep. should have been scratched to begin with and never ever ever put into production. Worst episode ever. (I thought I would never say that cliche) Then to top it all off I get n line the next day to find out that Carter, Weir and Tayla are gone, Wolsey is in command and Beckett is back for another five eps. in season five. Nice going. Atlantis is the only show I watch in real time. Everything else I wait tell the next day or to. (do to my busy working shedule of course) And now I have no desire to watch next season when it first airs. Atlantis is also the ONLY show I watch on SciFi. Mainly because they are to caught up in change and shock then writing a good series. Ex. Lets make Starbuck a girl. Now lets make her a Silon. Yep don't watch that anymore.

I like Beckett by the way. Although SciFi needs to learn that you cant kill off a charectar in an explosion just to bring them back. This isn't a cartoon.

Shan Bruce Lee
February 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM

lol oldest in the book

jyh
February 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Well, LORD MONK, your opinion is very valid, but aside from the first sentence (that "Trio" was, in your opinion, the worst episode ever), I don't see what the rest of your post has to do with this thread's topic. This thread's discussion has been about how these particular Atlantis characters coulda/shoulda/woulda tried to get out of the teetering, unstable box. Have you been to the thread titled "Anti-Season 4 Thread"?

wolverine_nl
February 10th, 2008, 12:03 PM
i must admit, i would have used those iron bars with the lamps first to get higher ground, instead of reaching for the hole in the ceiling directly with the crates, but hey! lol then the ep would only last 20 minutes :mckay:

nx01a
February 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
*Whistles*
Why walk anywhere when you have jumpers and instant access to any stargate across a galaxy?
*Whistles*

Keller was right about that. All 18[?] couldn't have been in use at once, could they? Not giant asteroids again!!!

PG15
February 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Then to top it all off I get n line the next day to find out that Carter, Weir and Tayla are gone, Wolsey is in command and Beckett is back for another five eps.

Teyla isn't leaving.

Detox
February 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Huge wooden crates filled with heavy things then.

Oh stop it. You're just making yourself look worse and worse.

The more you try to salvage your dignity, the more you're going to lose it.

nx01a
February 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Those crates were empty, I believe. Even if they weren't, the stuff would have been removed and dumped out the door [like the dirt] to make them easier to stack and later lift up to the 'bar trick'.

o-0
February 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Oh stop it. You're just making yourself look worse and worse.

The more you try to salvage your dignity, the more you're going to lose it.
It doesn't matter if they were crates I'm just saying that they will lead you to your death if you keep them with you. You know you're not very good at discussions when you attack the person directly.

s09119
February 10th, 2008, 12:30 PM
It doesn't matter if they were crates I'm just saying that they will lead you to your death if you keep them with you. You know you're not very good at discussions when you attack the person directly.

He's just being honest. In a discussion when you're point has been invalidated, it's better just to back off instead of trying to find more ways to prove it right. That's all he's daying.

o-0
February 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I was only wrong about the dirt. My point has been invalidated because of such an insignificant little thing? Everything else I said stands for discussion and are valid points.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Well, they can either dump everything and hope that the box doesn't collapse in the next 5.5 hours, or they can keep some of the stuff and attempt to escape before the box collapses.

I think both options makes sense, and knowing the trio, I doubt they'll just sit on their hands hoping the next few tremors won't shake the box loose. They'll do something about it, which means they'll need the stuff.

Exactly. If they threw everything out then they couldn't have tried to escape.

rlr149
February 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM

i suggest you change viewing habits to 'big brother' if you want to watch people sitting around and talking ***** for 5.5 hours;)

andromeda_dan
February 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM
But why take a doctor? What sense did that make? (minor) quibbles.

Dr Keller is there to explain to the locals the environmental effects left by the mining operation have on their health.

andromeda_dan
February 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM

They did thought about waiting it out, but after they saw the super structure of the minimg facility from across the chasm and when a tremor hit, they made the assumption that the platform they fell into is built in the same manner as what they saw from acrosss the chasm. That thought made them question the stability of the platform. The extra weight they added to the platform plus the impact of their fall can weaken the structure further, and they have no idea how bad or good that super structure is.

Lord batchi ball
February 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I thought they would find the reason for the tremors, and then shut it off and save everyone. But what I'm wondering is why didn't the whole hill did'nt cave in.

squeakytoad
February 10th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The original writer has a point. There was tons of stuff in that room they could've moved out in order to balance the weight. True, they thought they needed the crates to get out, but why didn't they clear the room of the broken crates when the plans didn't work? You'll notice the shards and broken boards lying about the floor for the rest of the episode.
Yes, they got rid of some of the dirt, but there was so much more they could've done.
For instance, there was that giant metal tube Rodney used to make a cannon. Why did they leave that in the room? That must've weighed a ton. They had no idea they'd need it for a cannon. Also, the odds are there was a lot more stuff than just that. Look around, there's tons of random assorted heavy metal and wooden things.
They could've easily actually SUBTRACTED from the overall weight in the room, thus buying them even more time than the chamber would've had had they not entered it.
Then they simply could've waited for aid from Atlantis to arrive, trumpets blaring and flags waving, there to save the day as usual.

No, it seemed the writers were trying to hard to set up a standard Atlantis scenario. All looks well, then on the way to make things better, something bad happens. Bad thing doesn't seem so bad at first. Just wait it out or surf the small waves. Then a time limit is set with deadly consequences if the smart guys don't come up with a way out. Then there are a series of ideas, which all result in failure, usually worsening the situation. Finally, someone, usually not the genius who's supposed to be coming up with the plain, has an idea that saves the day. The idea is difficult to accomplish, and there are always snags, but next thing you know, they're in the infirmary recovering as always.
Don't forget to through in awkward conversation for sexual tension.

Most certainly a filler episode, intended to keep the fans watching, thus earning more money for the creators, without actually having to move the series forward at the rate it should be, thus allowing for more seasons without having to come up with new and exciting storylines, which may actually be a good thing, as we saw what a disaster that became when the writers ran out of Goa'uld/Replicator plots and moved on to the "Ori" crap.

C822
February 10th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Well, the room in which they were in was rapidly destabilizing, and after scooping out all that dirt, they'd probably thought they were safe for a few more minutes at that moment. I'd think they'd be more focused on trying to get out than busting crates and sweeping them away...of course, that's just my opinion.
And after they came up with a plan, they were more focused on executing the plan and hopefully getting out of the room than thinking pessimistically about how to prolong their lives in a room that's about to fall into a chasm. Again, that's just my view on this topic. No offense intended.

nx01a
February 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Isn't that a bar trick for free beer...? ;) The trick is fooling the bartender the chest is worth a free beer.;)

nx01a
February 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
The one girl who found the way out and helped the two others into the safety shaft..... Keller wins the Hero/genius contest....:lol Game over.:ronan:
She found the way out because she fell out! :D I guess that's one way to describe thinking outside of the box. :P I was wondering what else was beneath them along the walls, too.
None of them have dibs on saving the day, they only survived thanks to the rope they used for other escape attempts and dumb [tptb] luck.

LORD MONK
February 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Well, LORD MONK, your opinion is very valid, but aside from the first sentence (that "Trio" was, in your opinion, the worst episode ever), I don't see what the rest of your post has to do with this thread's topic. This thread's discussion has been about how these particular Atlantis characters coulda/shoulda/woulda tried to get out of the teetering, unstable box. Have you been to the thread titled "Anti-Season 4 Thread"?

My bad, you are right. i just went off. I realy didn't see any reason on talking, or typing about the ep. the two greatest minds Earth has to offer couldn't even get out of a hole. They get out by a fluke. Thank god the doc was their to treat them and get them out of the hole that they were in. I would have bribed the kids with some chocolate bars and the docs boobs. (that would have been for me) After all, if she knows bar tricks then she most difinitly knows that one. Hell my niece came up with a better story then that. She askd why they didn't explore the tunnels trying to get out and uncover some Genii tech lab we didn't know about.

Is that better. That's what I had on my mind before I went into a rant. I usually have nothing bad to say about Stargate so I tend to forget about the anti threads. i should visit, they love my rants. i haven't been there in a couple of years.

solarscreen
February 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Actually, the weight had less to do with the room collapsing than the impact of the three when they fell into the room in the first place. The support structures were subjected to an uneven force that caused the room to collapse sooner than it would have. Regardless of how much weight you pushed out the door, the quakes would have caused the same failure. If weight was the primary factor, the rope swinging should have caused the room to collapse if not all the walking back and forth to the edge of room itself earlier.

As for being geniuses and yet "not doing all they could do",
1. The room was shown more visible than what they would be able to see.
2. They fell a good distance which would cause you to be distracted and develop a subclinical level of fear or concern.
3. They are trapped in a more physical and unfamiliar environment than their expertise is based in.
4. The seeming imminent demise of the space they are trapped in would cause rushed, possibly faulty suppositions.
5. Easier possibilities that presented themselves caused them to waste time.
6. A 30 foot hole looks like it should be a lot easier to climb out of than it is when you actually get in it.

They stayed remarkably focused and always moved forward toward a potential solution with everyone's effort. Typically, any three ordinary people would have panicked, drifted in and out of shock and fear, and never thought of all the possiblities you could name sitting comfortably without a care. Look at all the people who get on gameshows who are very knowledgeable and talented but as soon as the pressure is on, their focus becomes quite narrow and limited and can't seem to remember or even think.

That-scary-insane-girl
February 15th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm saying that the place stood there for decades without collapsing and their weight is what caused the room to ultimately collapse. So it would stand to reason that the room might still be there if they hadn't fallen in. Since they did, they should have gotten rid of the excess weight.

But, even if they did get rid of the extra wieght It probely would not have had much difference. If you think about it a lot of the reason the room started to fall was because of the wieght added instantly when they fell in along with the dirt that fell at the same time. What with the tremors added on to that the room probely would have fallen whether they got rid of the extra stuff or not. (not sure if that will make sense to anyone but me. Oh well . ^_^)

Homer 120
April 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Keller WAS infact scooping up dirt in the scene where they are stacking the crates on each other.

Watch closer next time

EDIT: Just noticed someone had posted a snap shot of that

And just an FYI to your ''YES I'M TALKING TO YOUR WRITTERS!!!!!'' writing in capitals like that, makes you look pathetic and just screaming for attention.

Anyways I think this episode is serverly underrated, not the BEST episode but a good episode in my opinion