Earth's Iris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth's Iris

Question: How is it stored in the gate. Obviously there are the massive curved things, but where do they go when its open?

Originally posted by XFire View Post
    Question: How is it stored in the gate. Obviously there are the massive curved things, but where do they go when its open?
    Maybe its an Amorphous solid that reacts to an electrical charge and a program code. Just a thought.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
      Maybe its an Amorphous solid that reacts to an electrical charge and a program code. Just a thought.
      you used some mighty big words there. I don't reckon i understand most of them but............................The iris is made out of titanium.............that's pretty solid.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

this is actually a really good question but i've no idea how it works and ive always wondered about it

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          you used some mighty big words there. I don't reckon i understand most of them but............................The iris is made out of titanium.............that's pretty solid.
          clicky

something like that

its an oil with particles of magnetic material suspended in it, reacts in the presence of other magnetic fields,

and you can make it at home its called ferrofluid, i think its the same principle as what freyrs mother was getting at though
          Last edited by rlr149; 09 February 2008, 07:16 AM.
          sigpic
          EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
          -Liberty Prime

Comment

teh latest one is amde of trinium, so don't think it's liquid. and the Iris motions is in fact completly CGI, through the final iris is an insert piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
              teh latest one is amde of trinium, so don't think it's liquid. and the Iris motions is in fact completly CGI, through the final iris is an insert piece.
              never said it was, i said its the same principle idea as

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
              with a video to demonstrate the idea, the sgc are at the 'cutting edge' tech wise so i assume that they have a better version of :'ferrofluid'tm now with added trinium!!'
              sigpic
              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Maybe there is a gap that is designed to have a sheild put in it, like the gate on atlantis, but they managed to fit a strange iris into it, it could come out like a circular fan. That or it is magic.
                Best quotes ever:
                O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
                Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                Thor:I like the yellow ones
                O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I think its the latter.

Unless you started cutting out bits of the SG, which doesn't seem likely, there is no way physically that the blades could be stored.

Comment

Originally posted by XFire View Post
                    I think its the latter.

Unless you started cutting out bits of the SG, which doesn't seem likely, there is no way physically that the blades could be stored.
                    unless its an amorphous metal like the T1000 in terminator2. then it could 'flow' through a tiny pipe attached to the front of the SG or from the red things about 2/3s of the way up and then re-form itself to the shape programmed

i don't think thats the way its done, but its better than 'magic' as an explanation
                    sigpic
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                      unless its an amorphous metal like the T1000 in terminator2. then it could 'flow' through a tiny pipe attached to the front of the SG or from the red things about 2/3s of the way up and then re-form itself to the shape programmed

i don't think thats the way its done, but its better than 'magic' as an explanation:mckay:
                      Lolol

Comment

I made a reference to this in a sticky thread in the Sci and Tech parent thread.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...=22491&page=16

My post makes sense to me... take it as a possibility.
                        "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
                        Mark Twain

Daniel Jackson and Sam Carter are the kinds of nerds I want to be.

Comment

it's like a leaf shutter on a camera, just with many more (thinner) blades.

Diagram.

The gate actually has a hollow segment all around the inside where the event horizon forms, practically out towards the outer edge of the gate. The outer skin of the gate forms somewhat of a sandwich around this interior space (you can see it in certain shots from the movie and Children of the Gods).

It's this space that the retracted leaf blades retract into. Considering the scale of the mechanism, fitting into that space isn't actually all that impressive when you consider the budget allocated to the project in the first place, and could be achieved with modern day technology.

What I CAN'T explain, however, is the inner part of the iris; the part which appears to double-back on itself :-\

Comment

Magnets!

But really, it has to be solid. Not liquid, solquid, or anything. It is solod because it makes a grateing noise

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by wkw427 View Post
                              It is solod because it makes a grateing noise
                              unless it solidifies at the edge of the gate and scrapes part of the gate on the way to the center

and since when did 'noise' allow a predetermination of ALL the physical properties of something? thats worse than the 'magic' comment before
                              sigpic
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Working...
                              X