PDA

View Full Version : Is Weir the new Quinn?

Nathan Reynolds
February 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
With the news of Torri Higginson's decision to leave Stargate forever, i was
wondering will Elizabeth Weir became the new Jonas Quinn of Atlantis.
A well written character "kick" of the show because they had "trouble" with the producers and never to be heard from again?

Although i think i'll not miss Torri's Elizabeth Weir as much as i miss Corin's Jonas Quinn.

Does anyone thinks the same way?

jenks
February 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
A well written character "kick" of the show because they had "trouble" with the producers and never to be heard from again?

Although i think i'll not miss Torri's Elizabeth Weir as much as i miss Corin's Jonas Quinn.

Since season 2 she hasn't been a well written character, so no.

talyn2k1
February 9th, 2008, 02:23 AM

I don't think Torri had any problems with PTB prior to her reduction to recurring status, they just thought that the place for the Weir character was not on Atlantis itself.

Imho, neither Quinn nor Weir were well written characters.
Quinn was consistently annoying, and I didn't think much to CN's acting ability (just my opinion).
Weir was just dull and 2-dimensional. Even when they were trying to make her 3d it just came acros as forced. The only Weir episodes I've liked are 'The Long Goodbye' and the last 30 seconds of BAMSR, neither of which were the Weir that has commanded Atlantis for the last three years.

Pitry
February 9th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Since season 2 she hasn't been a well written character, so no.

And I was gonna coment about how badly Jonas was written in comparison, but, ah well ;)

Ripple in Space
February 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
I don't think Torri had any problems with PTB prior to her reduction to recurring status, they just thought that the place for the Weir character was not on Atlantis itself.

Imho, neither Quinn nor Weir were well written characters.
Quinn was consistently annoying, and I didn't think much to CN's acting ability (just my opinion).
Weir was just dull and 2-dimensional. Even when they were trying to make her 3d it just came acros as forced. The only Weir episodes I've liked are 'The Long Goodbye' and the last 30 seconds of BAMSR, neither of which were the Weir that has commanded Atlantis for the last three years.

Torri openly said that she didn't agree with some of the odd decisions Weir started making (an ambassador/peace maker endorsing the murder of Humanized Wraith), and she said that her input wasn't even taken into consideration by tptb, so I'd say she had her issues with them.

I'm not happy that Torri left permanently. Tptb didn't know how to write her, so she shouldn't have been full-time, but recurring would've been nice. I happened to have liked her on Atlantis better than Carter. Carter was just useless on Atlantis 99% of the time. I'm thrilled Amanda left. Now Carter may get a chance to be a good character again in season 5 as recurring/featured/integral and in the future DVD movies.

IMO, tptb just can't write base commanders anymore. Hammond was great, but since then....

Ltcolshepjumper
February 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Don't compare Weir and Jonas. Weir was a regular from the beginning. Jonas came in at Season 6. And a 6-year contract? What were the writers thinking? And now their prized Carter isn't on there and who is left? Woolsey.

somme
February 9th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I liked Weir as commander and it's a same that the cast keeps changing so dramatically. Just focus on writing new original sci-fi stories without the feeling the need to introduce new characters in order to do that.

Jeff O'Connor
February 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
They really can't write base commanders, can they? I agree. Hammond was exceptional, but past that, it's a slump. Torri did a superb job acting the part, I felt, but the slump she got especially beginning with the second and majorly third seasons for characterization was horrendous. I just don't get it.

kymeric
February 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Its her career i guess, she can do wutever she wants with it. But i bet shell be back someday, maybe just a one off tho.

They could still use their stories i guess. Its just that 3 seconds after we faded to black in BAMSR one of those asteroid chunks struck the bridge killing weir but left the rest of the ship to carry on her plan. lulz

JohnRico
February 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Its just that 3 seconds after we faded to black in BAMSR one of those asteroid chunks struck the bridge killing weir but left the rest of the ship to carry on her plan. lulz

They can use old episodes for dialogue & have Weir contact the Expedition & then Weirs ship get blown up during communication & Weir dies again

Vala_M
February 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I'm disappointed to hear that she's declined the season 5 role, I hope they revisit the story anyway.

Vala,

JohnRico
February 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I'm disappointed to hear that she's declined the season 5 role, I hope they revisit the story anyway.

They have to at least state On Screen that Weir contacted them but a Wraith ended up killing her or something & voila its done. I would not be surprised for TPTB to give Weir a stupid death now even though we wont see it

Nitegate
February 9th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Torri wants to be that way, kill the character for good.

vaberella
February 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Torri wants to be that way, kill the character for good.

It was funny the first time, now you're just spamming. :mckay: :S

As for Weir another Quinn. I don't know much about Quinn, except for some of the past information I've happened upon...so I can't really comment.

However, I do find ths similar to Ford. An sorta open-ended story (which I saw as final) and they fade into background thoughts; or fade into nothingness never mentioned on SGA again or in recent up coming eps or seasons.

ColCaldwell
February 9th, 2008, 12:27 PM
There is a big difference here though. Torri decided to leave on her own terms even when she was offered to come back. SG-1 pretty much shunned Corin Nemec.

Mitchell82
February 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
There is a big difference here though. Torri decided to leave on her own terms even when she was offered to come back. SG-1 pretty much shunned Corin Nemec.

Agree however I don't remember that being the case with Jonas. I don't remember him being shunned.

Ladyinred
February 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
IMO, tptb just can't write base commanders anymore. Hammond was great, but since then....

What do you have against Landry?

ColCaldwell
February 9th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Agree however I don't remember that being the case with Jonas. I don't remember him being shunned.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but TPTB stated that Jonas Quinn was done in the SG universe while Corin Nemec stated more that once that he would like to come back.

Willow'sCat
February 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM
No Weir is Weir, this is the second time tptb have had a "problem" with the character/actress. The original actress to play Weir was fraked about by tptb so much that in the end it appears the actress gave up waiting. Enter Torri.

In the case of Jonas, Corrin wanted to continue, in the role... tptb didn't want that apparently.

But all of this is more rumour then fact, we will never know what happened and how we came to this, but I do know in general in TV land EP, Producers like to work with "yes" actors, not ones who want to run the show or tell them how to write their characters/creations... the same thing happens with a lot of shows, where actors believe their own "press releases". Look at Desperate Housewives, one happy family? I think not. ;)

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM
no Weir isn't the new Quinn, those are two different situations

Shan Bruce Lee
February 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Don't compare Weir and Jonas. Weir was a regular from the beginning. Jonas came in at Season 6. And a 6-year contract? What were the writers thinking? And now their prized Carter isn't on there and who is left? Woolsey.

Woolsey is still a better character than Weir.

Am I the only person that liked Jonas? I mean I'm not saying he was equal to Jackson obviously, but he wasn't that bad of a character.

Jackie
February 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but TPTB stated that Jonas Quinn was done in the SG universe while Corin Nemec stated more that once that he would like to come back.

I don't remember him being "shunned' either. I do recall that he had a 2 year contract that tptb bought out to bring back Daniel. CN did come back for an ep or maybe two in season 7...one ep he even wrote.

I think CN mentioned at a convention he would go back for an ep or 2 if asked and tptb said they didn't have plans to bring back jonas. CN has since gone on.

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Am I the only person that liked Jonas? I mean I'm not saying he was equal to Jackson obviously, but he wasn't that bad of a character.

no you're not, Jonas was a very cool character imo. TBTB did a great job introducing him in s6

Jackie
February 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM

IMO woosley is a carbon copy of Rodney. Do you really want Rodney running the city?;)

Ripple in Space
February 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
What do you have against Landry?

Nothing, but Hammond was better.

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Nothing, but Hammond was better.

gotta agree with you. Landry's a nice character but Hammond's just awesome. man I'm really looking forward to Continuum :D

Nitegate
February 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
It was funny the first time, now you're just spamming. :mckay: :S

As for Weir another Quinn. I don't know much about Quinn, except for some of the past information I've happened upon...so I can't really comment.

However, I do find ths similar to Ford. An sorta open-ended story (which I saw as final) and they fade into background thoughts; or fade into nothingness never mentioned on SGA again or in recent up coming eps or seasons.

well i wanted to bring my opinion on all threads on this subject. oh well

and i liked jonas, wish the character came back again, i met corin nemec like 3 days before christmas, he's a nice guy.

jelgate
February 9th, 2008, 05:14 PM
gotta agree with you. Landry's a nice character but Hammond's just awesome. man I'm really looking forward to Continuum :D

I found them to be very similiar.

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM

hm maybe but I still prefer Hammond

Willow'sCat
February 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
IMO woosley is a carbon copy of Rodney. Do you really want Rodney running the city?;)
Yes, yes I do. :cool::P

jelgate
February 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
hm maybe but I still prefer Hammond

Of course you do. It the curse of the fandom.

the fifth man
February 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Hammond and Landry were similar, in that both are great leaders. However, they each had their own styles.

Mitchell82
February 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I don't remember him being "shunned' either. I do recall that he had a 2 year contract that tptb bought out to bring back Daniel. CN did come back for an ep or maybe two in season 7...one ep he even wrote.

I think CN mentioned at a convention he would go back for an ep or 2 if asked and tptb said they didn't have plans to bring back jonas. CN has since gone on.

Agreed.

atfan
February 9th, 2008, 08:00 PM

I don't see it Rodney is a scientist Woolsey is a politician. Their only similarity would be they are both civilians but both have been around the military extensively. I guess some people think both are wimps but while Rodney might have been at first I don't think it holds true now. Give Woolsey a chance he has had some close calls lately and they are bound to have affected him plus he has a long history with the SGC and has protected them in his own way in the past.;)

Argosy
February 9th, 2008, 08:50 PM
No. Ford is the new Quinn while Weir is the new Sara Tancredi.

All this Russian roulette monkey business with the cast should come back and bite them in the ass just as it’s doing now. I gather that we are supposed to be mad at Torri Higginson now? Poppycock, I say good on her…self respect RULES!!!

PG15
February 9th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I gather that we are supposed to be mad at Torri Higginson now?

Where the heck did you gather THAT from?!

nx01a
February 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think Argosy meant that, since it was her decision to leave even though tptb offered her some bit part/breadcrumb for season 5, it's really her fault we have no more Weir or Weiricator or Weiriclone or whatever. If Tori thought she wasn't getting a fair shake and didn't like what they wanted to do with her character, she has every right to say no, and fans of her, Weir and self respect should applaud that decision. It's the same situation Weir faced with the IOA in First Strike, being fed up with bad treatment and standing up for herself... or preparing to before getting blasted. Talk about writers writing what they know. :D I've liked Tori since seeing her in a CityTV show called Deep in the City back in 2001. If they want to screw the character over, sure, go ahead. The actress doesn't have to be involved in said screwing.

As for Quinn, I was sad to see Daniel go but it was nice to have a nice pair of eyes and a new perspective on Earth and the SGC. All that and his underdeveloped obviously Ancient abilities made me sad to see him go. With Daniel back, Jonas would have been a fifth wheel. As for how the producers treated Nemec, I have no idea. The character, however, really should have been made recurring and not relegated to off-screen producer blog-revealed involvement in resisting the Ori on his planet. Funny, when they wrote him out they also wrote out naquadriah, didn't they? :P

Hyperspace
February 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I really wished that Jonas was brought over to Atlantis, It thought it was opportune when they launched the show.

In some ways, Weir is the new Quinn, both main cast members and then gone to guest star slots.

nx01a
February 9th, 2008, 11:27 PM
And then gone forever...

Professor Chaos
February 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I'm confused, did we actually like Jonas? I know as far as I can remember, I hated him.

I didn't like Weir so much either. I think everybody is forgetting just how damned arrogant she was and blindly waving their pro-Weir signs. Her arrogance surpassed even the Ancients and I despised her.

Good riddance to both of them.

Vaniel4evah!
February 10th, 2008, 10:16 AM

No. If anything, Carter was Atlantis's Jonas Quinn, a character brought in mid-way through the show's run to replace an original character, but, despite TPTB's forcing them down our throats and insisting that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, failing miserably.

MechaThor
February 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
"Is Weir the new Quinn?"

She is more like the new Ford, Quinn was always a filler character, But like Ford Weir just got phased out!

chocdoc
February 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
No. If anything, Carter was Atlantis's Jonas Quinn, a character brought in mid-way through the show's run to replace an original character, but, despite TPTB's forcing them down our throats and insisting that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, failing miserably.

In your opinion -- in my opinion Carter did very well on SGA. The other difference is that TPTB wanted Carter back full time in season 5, while they did not want Jonas back full time in season 7.

Shan Bruce Lee
February 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM

I wouldn't use the phrase "failing miserably"

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM

How did you come to that conclusion?

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'm confused, did we actually like Jonas? I know as far as I can remember, I hated him.
I did. I missed Danny but loved Jonas.

I didn't like Weir so much either. I think everybody is forgetting just how damned arrogant she was and blindly waving their pro-Weir signs. Her arrogance surpassed even the Ancients and I despised her.

Good riddance to both of them.
I didn't despise her she just wasn't my favorite character.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM

How do you figure that?

jenks
February 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Except that never happened, not with Jonas or Carter.

talyn2k1
February 11th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Jo Mallozzi has confirmed on today's entry of his blog that no specific script details were discussed, which removes dissatisfaction with a script as Torri's reason for declining to return.
I think she's just got a case of sour grapes.

And Quinn/Carter being rammed down our throats as the best thing since sliced bread is just an opinion.

I think they possibly overdid it a little with Jonas and his super-attention span, but regardless of this, I didn't like the character.
It makes me laugh that there are people complaining that Carter hasn't been in enough episodes this season, yet there are also people complaining that she's been rammed down our throats! Personally I would have to side with the group who says she hasn't been in it enough. I think there are episodes where she could've fit in quite simply, but which didn't necessarily suffer from her absence.

These forums are stark evidence that PTB cannot satisfy everyone and that there will always be an audible minority shouting negativity around the place.

Sorry I appear to have gone a bit OT here, but in recent weeks I've been noticing the fracture of fandom even more than I used to.

But in short, I don't think there are any valid comparisons between Carter and Quinn, other than they were both on SG-1!