PDA

View Full Version : Make Lorne and Zelenka Regulars!

sueKay
February 7th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm bitterly dissappointed at the decision to make Keller a full-time member of the crew. (No harm to Jewel Staite...I'd be very happy if Kaylee came to Atlantis!)

What annoys me even more is that we have Lorne and Zelenka - two fantastic, complex, useful and witty characters - stuck as recurring, despite the fact they've made for better viewing and have had a significant part to play in the series as a whole.

Don't forget the large amount of recurring characters that have also arguably had a large impact on the show - Caldwell, Ellis, Cadman, etc...

So, if you'd love to see Lorne or Zelenka in the credits, please post here!

FoolishPleasure
February 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Lorne and Zelenka are two of my favs and I would love to see more of them.

. . .and less of Keller. Much less.

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 07:39 AM
You do realize the the higher they're up on the ladder of death ... the sooner the character's life comes to an untimely end, right?

sueKay
February 7th, 2008, 07:45 AM
It's Atlantis - I exepect by season seven (if we get that far) that Sheppard and Teyla will be the last two standing (Or Sheppard and Rodney, or Sheppard and Ronon).

Sorry, am I sounding a tad cynical lol? :P :D

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 08:13 AM
It's Atlantis - I exepect by season seven (if we get that far) that Sheppard and Teyla will be the last two standing (Or Sheppard and Rodney, or Sheppard and Ronon).

Sorry, am I sounding a tad cynical lol? :P :D

I say Sheppard & Rodney...

Tal-Galahad
February 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm bitterly dissappointed at the decision to make Keller a full-time member of the crew. (No harm to Jewel Staite...I'd be very happy if Kaylee came to Atlantis!)

What annoys me even more is that we have Lorne and Zelenka - two fantastic, complex, useful and witty characters - stuck as recurring, despite the fact they've made for better viewing and have had a significant part to play in the series as a whole.

Don't forget the large amount of recurring characters that have also arguably had a large impact on the show - Caldwell, Ellis, Cadman, etc...

Despite the fact, that I agree with you in the point, that Lorne and Zelenka would be much more fun as regulars it just would`nt make any sense.
You have to see that Lorne and Zelenka are only number 2`s in there part of the work that has to be done at Atlantis.

Lorne is the number 2 military, Zelenka is number 2 scientist. Keller is the number one medic. And the number one medic always played a very important role in the stargate franchise.

Like that we can get much more excited if we get Lorne or Zelenka in an ep. Then there is something "special". Otherwise I doubt they would get ordinary after a short period of time.

CazzBlade
February 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
I love both these characters but don't think they should become regulars, theres already enough! More of them would be great and yeah I do prefer them to Keller but they are good as they are, thats why we like them, making them regulars would change that. IMHO.:)

chevron3
February 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
that would b awesome if they did become regulars, but if they just guest star a lot i will b just as happy

P-90_177
February 7th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I don't mind keller beconing a regular as long as she doesn't end up being like in missing very often.

As for Lorne and Zalenka. I would like Lorne to become a regular. He is quite cool. And as cool as zalenka is don't think he should be.

Kanetsidohi
February 7th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I love Lorne and Zelenka but it's such a dangerous task being regulars!

Having said that and following the known pattern, Keller should find an utterly ridiculous and useless demise. Which in her case it wouldn't be any of that. :D

Othala08
February 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I thnk Radek in particular has really developed in the past two series, as a scientific mind and also as a human being with a lovely sense of humour. But there's just one problem...he's not a sexy blonde girl...

Bonbon
February 7th, 2008, 09:23 AM
toooootally agree. on lorne especially.

Bonbon
February 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
But there's just one problem...he's not a sexy blonde girl...

LOL. Sadly very true.

dana_carter_sgx
February 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
If justice was the ruler of the world (or at least, have something to do when TPTB are making these kind of decisions), then at least Zelenka would be a regular, probably since last season. Anyway, both of them would be regulars before Keller, no doubt.

That being said, I must confess I don't see like a good idea them becoming regulars, specially after seeing what had happened with Beckett and the necesity to introduce him in a lot of plots where his presence didn't make a lot of sense, this way ruining (to some degree) such a fantastic character.

And because...

You do realize the the higher they're up on the ladder of death ... the sooner the character's life comes to an untimely end, right?
Truer words have never been spoken, girl :S

But probably TPTB don't pay attention to such things, and their decision-making goes more along this lines...

I think Radek in particular has really developed in the past two series, as a scientific mind and also as a human being with a lovely sense of humour. But there's just one problem...he's not a sexy blonde girl...
Yep, we live in a very sad world, guys... :S

Keller is the number one medic. And the number one medic always played a very important role in the stargate franchise.
You think so?! :confused:
I must confess that at the beginning, when SGA didn't even exist yet and I was a great SG-1 fan, I was quite pissed-off for Dr. Fraiser not being a regular. Nowadays I still feel she should have been a regular, but seeing what happened later with Beckett, I think it was better that way with her being a recurrent character.
So Keller as a regular... not a very good idea. If it didn't work for Beckett, a much more developed and charismatic character, I don't know what's going to happen with her... :beckett14:

FireCat
February 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I love the idea of both becoming more prominent, but TPTB would never do it because they want more useless, cutsey Mary Sues in tight shirts (Keller).

Heaven forbid if they put interesting, fan favs up as regs! ;)

Klenotka
February 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I think the big advantage of recurring characters is that they are there when you need them. When is someone main, he has to be there, even just standing, holding a computer *thinks of Teyla in the beginning of S2*

So I think this is OK, but I think they need more screentime. When Keller, as recurring could have her episode, why not Zelenka and Lorne? And some promo photos would be great. Keller had more promo shots than entire cast together :rolleyes:

nx01a
February 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'd like to say yes, but semi-regular doctors [and semi-regulars doctors who make it to full cast] are very likely to get killed in very bad ways. Like cancer explosions or dream falls off Atlantis. I don't think I want that fate for DOCTOR Zelenka.

Lorne and Zelenka are great characters and I'd love to see more of them. BUT I think I prefer them not in the main cast. Writers can force the main cast into situations which might not seem practical or believable, whereas a Zelenka or Lorne appearance always has logic behind it and fits perfectly. They're there for a story purpose, not a 'must fulfil their contract' purpose.

One of my complaints in sci-fi is that we always see the heads of departments doing this or that. Sure, they're actors and gotta get paid to do more than direct from behind a desk but I want to see their #2s off doing the away missions or whatever. That's what's good about Zelenka and Lorne. Need someone to move a moon for you, Shep? Get Lorne! Need someone to fix damaged systems on the other side of the city, Rodney? Get Zelenka! Delegate! I'd still love to see Rodney and John off doing the mission thing, but they're the heads of the military and scientists, respectively. They shouldn't be off-base except for the most necessary missions. That's what your #2s are for. I hope to see more of them working as team leaders and not constant field ops under Woolsey. Which'll give more screen time to... Lorne and Zelenka! :D

idlewild202
February 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I would absolutely LOVE to see Lorne and Zelenka as regulars, that would be amazing!

Lorne is one of my favorite characters, but I think in order for him to become a regular we would need to see some character development. Right now he's just the military go to guy. He's a great character who, IMO, has potential to be a very dynamic personality should TPTB decide to take the bait, Kavan has done a wonderful job acting him in the limited role he has, and I truly hope that the PTB recognize this potential and fly with it. But, I just feel that right now he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a regular character depth wise. I think he would make a great regular should the writers develop his character more.

Zelenka on the other hand is already there. He is an amazing character, and if he was promoted to regular this very moment he would fit in perfectly.

Now, as much as I want them to be regulars, you gotta realize that this is still a team based show, not near as much as so as SG1, but still, Atlantis is team based. Get to many regulars and you start to get away from that team centered. Yes, we still have our whole expedition episodes, and that's when Lorne and Zelekna fit in perfectly. I guess what I'm saying is, that as much as I would like to have this be regulars, I feel that, for now, they fit better in the overall scheme of things as regulars.

Heh, random thought here, but if for some reason this did come to pass.. they would probably have to make the credits longer to fit all the faces ;)

nx01a
February 7th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Heh, random thought here, but if for some reason this did come to pass.. they would probably have to make the credits longer to fit all the faces ;)
Nah, they'd just fit them in real quick where Carson used to be.:mckay:

idlewild202
February 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nah, they'd just fit them in real quick where Carson used to be.:mckay:No, cuz that's where Keller is gonna be now.... 'course, I'd much rather NOT have Keller as a regular, then they could.

Reiko
February 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I'm totally with you here, except I have to agree with others that they will lose thier special-ness. Because, esentially they are 'sidekick' to Rodney or second to Shep, which is why Carson becoming regular worked, he was the top. But I do think that they should have one or two episodes that prominently feature them. I wouldn't mind Lorne tagging along with our team once in a while, and I am dying to see Radek out in the field! Both are fabulous characters, and because they are 'second' to Rodney and Shep, they should stay recurring yet still have a prominent presence. Just IMO. But I would one hundred percent take them in the opening credits over Keller any day...

. . .and less of Keller. Much less.

Not at all? That would be much better. I'm with you here.

I disgree with those who say it was a stupid decision to make Carson full-time and say that it was dumb he was in episodes he didn't need to be in. Pfft, please. Even when he was just tagging along many people found him to be a greatly enjoyable presense. ;)

Well, I hope you guys will complain about Keller now ;)

Lorne is the number 2 military, Zelenka is number 2 scientist. Keller is the number one medic. And the number one medic always played a very important role in the stargate franchise.

Since when? If Carson's not number one than what is he? Carson will always be number one in my mind, and I hope come season six he is restored his original role. So, Keller better watch out ;)

I thnk Radek in particular has really developed in the past two series, as a scientific mind and also as a human being with a lovely sense of humour. But there's just one problem...he's not a sexy blonde girl...

Yeah, that does pretty much ruin the odds :S I find Radek quite thunk-worthy but I feel one reason he's not as prominent is the fact he isn't a draw for the horny young boys :P

I love the idea of both becoming more prominent, but TPTB would never do it because they want more useless, cutsey Mary Sues in tight shirts (Keller).

Ewww Mary Sues! What ever happen to the first rule of Mary Sue management - 'kill it dead?'

Detox
February 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Nah, I don't want them as regulars. For a show to be good, you need to have a strong cast of secondary characters, Zelenka, Lorne, Chuck are that cast.

Besides, if you have them on screen all the time, then it's not going to be as special as if you see them in an episode and you don't expect it.

Instead of...
"Oh! It's Zelenka!"

It'll end up like...
"Oh... it's Zelenka."

ShadowMaat
February 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM
The reason they're such complex and interesting characters is because they're recurring, not regular. Bump them up the ladder and it'd be pretty much as Klenotka already said: they'd stop being charismatic and useful and just stand there like animated wallpaper, serving no real function except to be in a scene. I may be in the minority, but personally I liked Carson a lot better when he was just recurring. When he got bumped up to regular I felt as if his character flattened out and became inconsistent and kinda dull. Or at least grayed out from the technicolor character I'd liked so much in the first season.

I'm not sure about the "ladder of death" comment, either. On the one hand, yes, we could wind up with another Carson: bumped up to regular just so TPTB could kill off a lead with minimum impact on the show itself, but on the other we could still have another Fraiser: a beloved recurring character killed off because it wouldn't affect the show very much. And I'm not trying to dis either character by saying that their deaths didn't have much impact because from a fandom viewpoint they certainly did, but from a story writing viewpoint both were characters TPTB could easily afford to lose. The fact that audiences loved them both only made it that much better- here's a character whose death won't affect the stories we write, but who'll strike a big emotional chord with the viewers. And Lorne and Zelenka both fit that profile a little too well for me to be entirely comfortable about their future, whatever their pay scale. ;) Lorne, as much as I love him, could easily be sacrificed without any loss to the ongoing story: just replace him with another generic character and move on. Heck, they probably wouldn't even need to change the dialogue that much. And Zelenka is pretty much the same way: replace him with a cookie cutter Scientist Type and move on, but with the added bonus of creating more conflict for Rodney- always a good thing from TPTB's standpoint. :rolleyes:

I love both characters the way they are now: vibrant and full of life and only showing up when they can actually serve a purpose. On another show maybe they could become regulars and retain the quality they have now, but on Stargate... I don't like their chances. *shrug* But then again, I'm a very cynical person and prone to believe the worst, particularly of TPTB. ;)

dana_carter_sgx
February 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure about the "ladder of death" comment, either. On the one hand, yes, we could wind up with another Carson: bumped up to regular just so TPTB could kill off a lead with minimum impact on the show itself, but on the other we could still have another Fraiser: a beloved recurring character killed off because it wouldn't affect the show very much. And I'm not trying to dis either character by saying that their deaths didn't have much impact because from a fandom viewpoint they certainly did, but from a story writing viewpoint both were characters TPTB could easily afford to lose. The fact that audiences loved them both only made it that much better- here's a character whose death won't affect the stories we write, but who'll strike a big emotional chord with the viewers. And Lorne and Zelenka both fit that profile a little too well for me to be entirely comfortable about their future, whatever their pay scale. ;)

Sadly, I'm afraid you're absolutely right :S

And Zelenka is pretty much the same way: replace him with a cookie cutter Scientist Type and move on, but with the added bonus of creating more conflict for Rodney- always a good thing from TPTB's standpoint. :rolleyes:

Yes... and as killing Zelenka has that 'Rodney Whumping Bonus', is the main reason I fear he won't reach the end of the series alive... :sheppardanime32:

Willow'sCat
February 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Nah, I don't want them as regulars. For a show to be good, you need to have a strong cast of secondary characters, Zelenka, Lorne, Chuck are that cast.I agree, and what with Weir still around and Beckett brought back from the dead :rolleyes: and now Kannan getting some screen time, Larrin coming back, maybe even Jeannie on board at some point sorry SGA is full enough as it is!

Besides I like a little bit of Lorne and Zelenka.

melfan
February 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
As long as Lorne and Zelenka gets a little more screentime, I'm happy!
Lorne's yummy! :) :D

Jumper_One
February 9th, 2008, 03:52 PM
As long as Lorne and Zelenka gets a little more screentime, I'm happy!
Lorne's yummy! :) :D

I think Zelenka will get at least as much screentime in s5 than in s4. same should be true for Lorne

melfan
February 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I think Zelenka will get at least as much screentime in s5 than in s4. same should be true for Lorne

Totally agree with you

DanielleG
February 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I hope they do. They are popular characters and dont shows normally bring back characters people love (Well most of the time any ways)

Falcon Horus
February 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I hope they do. They are popular characters and dont shows normally bring back characters people love (Well most of the time any ways)

No, they kill em off.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 12:42 PM
No, they kill em off.

nope they bring them back. remember Beckett? ;)

DanielleG
February 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Oh yep! they do that to! We dont like that! No Killing Lorne or Zelenka!

No, they kill em off.

Falcon Horus
February 10th, 2008, 12:57 PM
nope they bring them back. remember Beckett? ;)

Nope, only the ones they love.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Why Beckett?

what do you mean?

PG15
February 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
She's bitter. ;)

Falcon Horus
February 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
what do you mean?

I changed my post... that's why.

She's bitter. ;)

Yes, I am... and with reason, thank you.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone!

Well I like the two characters but it would make no sense to make them regulars.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM

I see

metabog
February 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I don't know why people are so hyped up about lorne (maybe he's just hot to the female audience or something), but Zelenka deserves to be a regular. To me, Lorne just comes off as a bit of a pinhead :D

And for the record, I want to see more Jennifer as well.

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM

About what? Liz? Woolsey?

Platschu
February 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Zelenka and Lorne can't be regular, because of the budget. They can't and won't pay 7-8 actor as regular. :o

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Zelenka and Lorne can't be regular, because of the budget. They can't and won't pay 7-8 actor as regular. :o

Good point.

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'm sorry, who gave you permission to inject reality into this conversation? :P

Besides, if they kill off Shep and McKay, they'd have plenty of money to afford bumping up Lorne and Zelenka. :D

vaberella
February 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Hey everyone!

Just responding to the comment in bold. I've said this on another thread, and I'll say it here since it's significant. Why would you want them turned to regular since we see how fantastic they are as recurring?

Now I'll explain my comment.

What I have come to notice about SGA is that the recurring characters and even the guest stars are fantastically written. No one can bash Oberoth during his time...he was one of the greatest evil characters I saw, better than the wraith (but of course lost his magnitude). Don't get me wrong, minus Lucius and Larrin as "the worst guest stars ever" shown on SGA. The writers are fantastic with developing recurring characters.

Now let's look at the regulars. Every one of us complained about the regulars. We complained about them all in one capacity or another. John, who's still relatively playing the card of Mr. Mysterious who can fly every sort of ship in existence. It took what? Four seasons to get some sort of backstory on the guy.

We had Weir, who was just not a diplomat or negotiator. No matter what her character was said to do, she never fully encompassed the role given and fell short. Now some may love the character, but there was enough there for people to complain. Keeping in mind, there was so much they could do to make this character GREAT. Beyond great even, since she could have been a formidable presence. Sadly, the character's presence was a glorified extra who was just poorly written.

We have Teyla, a character who has so much to add as far as storyline and presence relegated to basically a beauty queen who can kick your ass if you stare too long at her. This is not to say they haven't given us snippets, but much like Weir she's been negated to a sort of glorified extra. I understand she's having an arc this season...but unfortunately it really hasn't been what I was expecting. I was expecting more along the lines on her and I only had one ep on that and one or two on things connected to her. Not enough after waiting 3 years for substantial storyline.

Then there's McKay, who's just really undeveloped because in every scenario we always come up with "That's McKay being McKay." He's always just himself and rarely steps out of that role unless we look at the Tao of Rodney. He's not as fully developed as I'd like and that means him really stepping outside himself more than just a cursory tea with Teyla (although it was appreciated).

Looking at Carson, a regular that was really the most worthless addition because he provided so much more, and had such a major magnitude as a recurring. I wa so disappointed when Beckett was turned regular. He had no real importance and then when he did, they killed him off and now he's back to recurring. This excludes Ronon of course, but then I think all the writers have a need to be another Ronon so it's just easy to write...ditto for McKay's attitude--that's just their inner snark. Ronon's the quintessential kick ass fighter with a heart----ie. Rambo or Conan, depending on what you like.

I don't want to see Lorne and Zelenka made into a regular and watch their downfall and their presence become unnecessary. They're fully developed and rich characters as recurring.

This is actually another reason I liked Weir becoming recuring. Based on their past record their recurrings are just better thought out characters, while their regulars are lackluster. I saw this as a great chance to redeem Weir and make her invincible and as a villain even better. I would definitely have given her more than half a season in S5. Because she would be the villain of choice to take out. But that's whatever now.

I'm not denying they're working on their characters and fixing where they messed up, which they admitted too. The regulars are just...good, satisfactory. Their recurrings are borderline great to excellent. I wouldn't want to curse appreciated recurrings to the position of a regular. Not until I can look at the regulars and say they're fantastic characters. Only Ronon holds that title for me.

Further more, I'm noticing they like killing regulars. Let's keep it to a minmum, there is so much dead (or not really dead but "lost in space" or kidnapped ~sigh~) characters I can take each season. I need dependable characters for a while.

nlgatefan
February 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
You have a good discussion going here, with good points being made on both sides. For my own part, I guess I'd have to side with those who say leave Zelenka and Lorne as they are, rich additions to the whole mix. I've never had real complaints about any of the characters, but I think having more than four regulars in the sense of primary players in the story only complicates things. That said, I would enjoy it if we'd see a bit more of Lorne and Zelenka as "regular guests". However, as someone has said, there may be budget constraints that won't allow this.

This discussion prompted me to think of an episode of the series "Bordertown" that was on cable several years ago. In it, the marshalll and the Mountie, two of the regular characters, were injured and out of commission. At the very end of the episode, we saw two of the supporting players walking down the street, talking about how they'd whip the town into shape in their roles as temporary peacekeepers. I could totally support an episode where Sheppard and McKay are injured/stuck offworld/otherwise unavailable, and Lorne and Zelenka had to pinch-hit for them in some sort of crisis. Even showing us what these two are up to (or against!) while their bosses are offworld would be a welcome treat.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
from JM's blog

Jason writes: “Will the new Captain Vega character take away screen time from Major Lorne..?”

Answer: No. The introduction of the Vega character had nothing to do with lessening the onscreen presence of any existing characters (regulars or recurring) and everything to do with a genuine desire to expand our roster of familiar faces.

the fifth man
February 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'm fine with Lorne and Zelenka as they are. Besides, if they were made regulars, there is no guarantee they would be around the next season.;)

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Whatever happened to Caldwell? And... er... That other captain they were bringing in to blow up the Replicator planet? Or was he just a one-off expendable character? I just wonder if this Vega person is going to be another one of the parade of temporary characters (there was that jackass that came to take over in S2 as well) or if she could become a threat to Lorne's life. I know better than to trust anything Joe has to say about such things. :rolleyes: Besides, what's true today could prove wrong tomorrow.

Nope, I like Lorne the way he is now: recurring and alive. :P

EDIT: Hey, there's no guarantee that there will even be a next season for them to be in. ;)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I'm fine with Lorne and Zelenka as they are. Besides, if they were made regulars, there is no guarantee they would be around the next season.;)

If there is one which I hope.

PG15
February 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Caldwell + Ellis were in BAMSR, and Caldwell will be back in

The Kindred

Reiko
February 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
She's bitter. ;)

Bitterness with reason - absolutely :cool:

Now let's look at the regulars. Every one of us complained about the regulars. We complained about them all in one capacity or another.
John, who's still relatively playing the card of Mr. Mysterious who can fly every sort of ship in existence.
We had Weir, who was just not a diplomat or negotiator. [...] Sadly, the character's presence was a glorified extra who was just poorly written.
We have Teyla, a character who has so much to add as far as storyline and presence relegated to basically a beauty queen who can kick your ass if you stare too long at her. [...] she's been negated to a sort of glorified extra.
Then there's McKay, who's just really undeveloped because in every scenario we always come up with "That's McKay being McKay."
Looking at Carson, a regular that was really the most worthless addition because he provided so much more, and had such a major magnitude as a recurring. [...] He had no real importance and then when he did, they killed him off and now he's back to recurring.
This excludes Ronon of course, but then I think all the writers have a need to be another Ronon so it's just easy to write.

So, we should have no regulars at all?

Wow, vaberella, you're harder to please than I am. ;) While I agree with you that Lorne and Zelenka should remain recurring and that the other characters could use development, I feel differently about everything else you said.

How do you guys all feel about Keller? IMO She was never even a rich recurring character. ;)

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
How do you guys all feel about Keller? IMO She was never even a rich recurring character. ;)

how can she be a 'rich' recurring character? she's only been in six eps

ShadowMaat
February 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Hard to tell since I only saw her in one ep, but I hate all the animosity and childish sniping that gets directed at her. Makes me glad that Lorne and Zelenka aren't replacement characters or they'd probably be loathed and despised, too. ...Although at least I wouldn't have to share them as much. :D

Now, if L&Z did get killed off, would I be inclined to hate their replacements? Hard to say. I'd probably resent it, particularly if they were replaced with buxom young females, but I'd also be a bit relieved as it'd mean I wouldn't have to watch Atlantis at all anymore. ;)

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Good point. Even though we've seen very little of her I do like her though.

Reiko
February 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Nuh-uh. ;)
- First Strike
- Adrift
- Lifeline
- Doppelganger
- Tabula Rasa
- Missing
- The Seer
- Quarantine
- Trio

Plus scheduled to be in Kindreds and TLM. Not including TMC, thats nice asof so far.

-looks for richness- Richness, oh richness where art thou? -looks under rug- Hmm. Must have fallen through that plot hole along with Teyla's big story arc... :S

Mitchell82
February 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Nuh-uh. ;)
- First Strike
- Adrift
- Lifeline
- Doppelganger
- Tabula Rasa
- Missing
- The Seer
- Quarantine
- Trio

Plus scheduled to be in Kindreds and TLM. Not including TMC, thats nice asof so far.

-looks for richness- Richness, oh richness where art thou? -looks under rug- Hmm. Must have fallen through that plot hole along with Teyla's big story arc... :S

Personally those eps have developed her into a great character.

Jumper_One
February 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Good point. Even though we've seen very little of her I do like her though.

she's an ok character :)

Nuh-uh. ;)
- First Strike
- Adrift
- Lifeline
- Doppelganger
- Tabula Rasa
- Missing
- The Seer
- Quarantine
- Trio

sorry my mistake. I didn't count FS because that's s3 but you're right let's include that ep. Keller wasn't in Lifeline according to GW (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s4/402.shtml). that leaves 8 eps

well I guess it's a matter of opinion. I'm just saying it isn't easy to develop a rich character in a few eps

Chailyn
February 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
As much as I love them, I also think they should stay as recurring characters. For the most part, I agree that the main characters on SGA seem to lack depth. I wasn't really a fan of SG-1, but at least their characters were pretty well-established. Also, I'm not sure if SGA is long for this world. I'd hate for Kavin and David to finally land a full-time gig only to have the show cancelled. :S

Besides, my secret desire is to see Lorne as a full-time character on a spin-off series in the future. Similiar to what they did with McKay. The character's been on both shows now. He's as Stargate as they get. :)

jelgate
February 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Nuh-uh. ;)
- First Strike
- Adrift
- Lifeline
- Doppelganger
- Tabula Rasa
- Missing
- The Seer
- Quarantine
- Trio

Do you even know what a plot hole is?

Reiko
February 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Do you even know what a plot hole is?

Yup. I wasn't intending to connect the un-richness with the plot hole. Just pointing out that the unrichness is as much there as those pesky 'plot holes' are.

There can't be a plot hole with her unnrichness, because there was never a plot ;)

vaberella
February 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM
So, we should have no regulars at all?
I didn't want to go that far. I don't mind seeing the same old faces and such but the focus of them is the problem and it makes them boring. I'd prefer an ep where I don't see John/McKay at all. Think back to GUP. Where was Ronon or Teyla? They took a backseat and were regulars. Weir was given two lines and thrown to the way side. Shep was all over the place but said little to nothing because it was a McKay ep. Then they could easily make a just a Ronon/Teyla ep and omit John and Rodney.

I say turn the "regulars" and bring their casting down to about 15 eps if that...make the last 5 eps revolving character eps. Eps with just Lorne's team. No John or McKay to the rescue...if they have to be there, make them say three lines and Zelenka is doing the problem solving. I loved Instinct/Lost Boys just for that reason. I saw Lorne working with Zelenka and I believe an Athosian girl from The Siege I and it was bloody fantastic. If the ep was dominated by their end I would love it.

I'm not saying dropping the regs off their pedestal but working around them since they have a great cast of recurring characters and they flesh out the regs in the mean time. When regs show up and they have no purpose you have to take a step back. I may like Teyla but I'll be the first to say that she wasn't used to her full potential and actually she's pushed to the background. Even in a season that's supposed to reflect a lot of Teyla. Ditto for Ronon.

I like it when an ep provides a shake-up in a sense. People will go like wow...so that's what Lorne does or that's what Zelenka does. How do they deal with some natives? You never hear about their missions too much. Coup D'Etat was the closest to giving us something. I understand the show is dominated by the main team, but they've established that there is more than a main team.

Further more, they need to shake up the pairings. They can have their lead team, but in a blue moon I'd like to see Ronon lead a team with probably Chuck, Stackhouse (if he was around or someone like him) and the East Asian doctor in Sunday.

This is why I liked Adrift/Lifeline...they used other faces and you got into their reactions and actions. Lately they're the ones that interest most. Not the regs who aren't growing (this doesn't count Ronon).

Wow, vaberella, you're harder to please than I am. ;) While I agree with you that Lorne and Zelenka should remain recurring and that the other characters could use development, I feel differently about everything else you said.
That's cool. :) I never look for agreement. I state my point and give reasons why I think the way I think.

I'm fine with Keller, she's starting out. Of course she's no Grodin or Bates, who was rich on initial building, but then I'll assume Grodin had time to build up since SG-1. That being said, Keller's starting out. A perfect example is Bates and Lorne. In effect Lorne sort of replaced the Bates character and not such a big deal and he's written very differently. But then Bates was again just a one season character so even if he was well written it was a "out of sight, out of mind" sort of deal.

She still needs time to develop and grow on a lot of people and unfortunately for her she's sitting in the place of a man who was well known, I believe from SG-1 and built a huge following for 3 seasons in SGA. That's not going to be easy for her and I think she's under a far more critical eye because of it.

Had she been replacing someone like Grodin in S1, then I don't think the amount of backlash would ever be the same. Going back to my original statement, many of the recurring characters labeled as rich had years on SGA to build up such a status. Keller only has one season that isn't complete yet.

Zelenka has been for 3 years, while Lorne on the other hand has been here for 2. They established themselves and although I like the Keller character, I still think she needs to establish herself. Beckett was working on wraith experience and doing complicated biological discoveries...while Keller currently is a "school nurse" labeled doctor.** Right now I'm still waiting for something really viable to see her as a doctor. Because she's really not.

** Actually that was one of the things I appreciated about S2 for Beckett and really showed him at his best...damn Season 3 for messing him up. S2 really gave us aspects of Carson rarely seen and should have been worked with on a low key scale. We're talking from Instinct and Michael. Just really well done in giving me a great Carson.

Pharaoh Atem
February 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
i;m happy with them as recurring

melfan
February 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
i;m happy with them as recurring

I'm happy too, but I want them to have more screentime. That what I want :D