PDA

View Full Version : How will Woolsey be integrated? [spoilers]

Steve_the_Wraith
February 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Disclaimer: Since the other Wolsey topic has become clogged with Ihate Wolsey/I like Wolsey/my reaction to the Wolsey news etc...
I wanted to start a topic about the character of Wolsey in season 5

Now onto the sepculation...

If I had to guess why Wolsey will be appointed as commander in season 5 I would say either

a) He pushed for the job (unlikely since he respects Carter)

or

b) He was sent to Atlantis to fail, his fellow IOA members have sent him to Pegasus hoping to see him fall flat on his face and fail terribly.

Personally I hope it turns out more like b) because it has the potential to be a good story and also because it would make Wolsey a more sympathetic commander

Skydiver
February 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM
so, to clarify, this is to DISCUSS how woolsey will be handled....as such 'he sucks and shouldn't be here' or 'so and so shoudl be in his place' is off topic.

He's there. end of story. whether or not he SHOULD be there isn't the topic.

Mitchell82
February 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Disclaimer: Since the other Wolsey topic has become clogged with Ihate Wolsey/I like Wolsey/my reaction to the Wolsey news etc...
I wanted to start a topic about the character of Wolsey in season 5

Now onto the sepculation...

If I had to guess why Wolsey will be appointed as commander in season 5 I would say either

a) He pushed for the job (unlikely since he respects Carter)

or

b) He was sent to Atlantis to fail, his fellow IOA members have sent him to Pegasus hoping to see him fall flat on his face and fail terribly.

Personally I hope it turns out more like b) because it has the potential to be a good story and also because it would make Wolsey a more sympathetic commander

I hope this topic stays and does not get merged. Anyhow I think there is a third option.With the loss of two recent commanders the IOA sends him to straighten the place up. So he doesn't want the position and is literally forced there to fix the place up. That will a to the tension especially since I doubt he will receive a warm welcome.

PG15
February 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Ooooo...I like #2, a lot. A great opportunity to really create some pathos (is that the right word?) for the character.

I'm leaning towards the IOA installing him on Atlantis so they can use him as a puppet to carry out their agendas for the Pegasus Galaxy.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'm leaning towards the IOA installing him on Atlantis so they can use him as a puppet to carry out their agendas for the Pegasus Galaxy.

yup that's what I think too

Uncle Tobias
February 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Going by recent eps I don't think it's his choice, yeah. I think he's there as thier puppet and may well start to see things differently once he's more than just an occasional visitor.

Bonus points if he has a framed photo of Jeri Ryan on his desk.

Amalthea
February 5th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I hadn't thought of #2... I think that's very interesting. To see him work very hard to earn the respect of the members of the team would make for some good TV. Especially since it'd take Ronon forever to like him.

Mitchell82
February 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I hadn't thought of #2... I think that's very interesting. To see him work very hard to earn the respect of the members of the team would make for some good TV. Especially since it'd take Ronon forever to like him.

Yeah maybey he can spar with Ronon.;)

Jackie
February 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I will go with the IOA wants him to fail theory. That sounds feasible with his history.

SG13-NightOps
February 5th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I am gonna go with PG15s idea - forced into the position to be the sock puppet of the IOA. Its the Air Force that wont object only because they want the IOA to see him fail and realise that they are sticking their noses too far into this stuff and it could cost them their heads.

I don't think he would want to Lead Atlantis at all.

I wonder though... Will there be tension between he and Caldwell, or was usurping command of Atlantis only the Goa'uld's goal?

Gaeth
February 5th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I think the IOA intends to make him a puppet, or at least have a commander more sympathetic to their view. Eventually he'll go his own way and grow as a leader and as a character.

Jeffala
February 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
yup that's what I think too

I like that thinking, though hopefully he'll assert his independence. He's no longer just an IOA investigator or, if you will, pencil-pushing lackey. He's in charge. I'm confident that maybe after a week or two we'll see him begin to subscribe to the thinking that, "What do they know about how Pegasus works when they're sitting in complete safety on Earth?"

reddevil18
February 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I fear the assimilation process will not work very well on a holgra...What's that? Wrong show? Sorry...

Uber
February 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Here's my personal theory.

I think something will happen in Search & Rescue where Carter is ordered to do something or not do something...but she knows that if she follows that directive, it would put her people in danger (either members of her team or random people in the Pegasus Galaxy or both)...maybe even put lives at risk. She has a LONG history of bucking bureaucracy when lives are on the line and doesn't care a whit about the politics involved...only that it's her responsibility to take care of people under her care. So she of course gives the IOA the virtual finger and does what she knows is right...thus protecting innocents/saving lives.

However, it's something the IOA can't allow to pass and still save face. So while she's being thanked for saving people, she's given the boot...by Richard Woolsey, who's representing the interests of the IOA. He respects her decision but has no choice than to do what he's told. What's worse, he learns he'll be taking her place...which makes him persona non grata on Atlantis for taking the job of a popular leader...especially after the trouble he gave Liz.

So he comes in unwillingly and is put in the unenviable position of taking charge of people who resent him. A lot.

Now depending on how this plays out, he could be considered the underdog who has to prove himself, to not only himself but to the people under his command. (On a side note, I was pulling for the underdog this past weekend, and lookie there...the Giants won! :))

Woolsey will also learn what it's really like to be in charge and will see first hand what problems IOA meddling can cause. He'll have an uphill battle earning the respect of his people and I think will experience a lot of character growth in the interim. So will the team.

But eventually, hopefully, he'll learn the ropes, his team won't resent the heck out of him and he'll become a better, more rounded character to boot.

MelbournePates
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I think the character will have to be handled initially like the the ep in SG1 where he and IOA reps went to the Alpha site, very red tape, but bend the rules for me.

Hopefully he'll grow some balls and be like in Inauguration, what will be interesting is if at some point his character gains the respect of the Atlantis crew.

It's a gutsy choice by TPTB.

atfan
February 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Ooooo...I like #2, a lot. A great opportunity to really create some pathos (is that the right word?) for the character.

I'm with you PG-15 I believe that the IOA forces Carter to leave and Woolsey is put in charge ostensibly so that the IOA has a puppet commander they can get to do their bidding what they don't realize is Woolsey is starting to care about Atlantis and doesn't want to see anything terrible happen it even if it means going against the IOA. Drama galore add in Sheppard and Woolsey not agreeing on how the daily activities of the city should be run and viola interesting story and good character development for both of them even Rodney who must learn to temper some of his more insane ideas because Woolsey won't approve them. Could even be a way to get Carter involved Rodney goes to Carter for help in dealing with Woolsey perfect setup.

ciannwn
February 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I think the IOA intends to make him a puppet, or at least have a commander more sympathetic to their view.

If so, they could have made a very big mistake because he's written 'favourable' reports concerning the expedition on more than one occasion. As he's done the 'assessment' job himself he'll know how to handle an IOA representative who takes his place.

Woolsey has also had a couple of offworld adventures so he might well see things differently to IOA members who have spent all their time sitting behind desks on Earth.

Platschu
February 6th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Is it possible that Atlantis will have a civilian and military commander at the same time? A Woolsey-Carter or a Woolsey-Sheppard or a Woolsey-Caldwell duo can work. Maybe the military leader (Carter) will be called back to Earth as the threat of Replicators and Wraith will be less, but she won't be fired. Ergo Carter can return to the city in the second half as Hayes president's military delegate.

atfan
February 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Is it possible that Atlantis will have a civilian and military commander at the same time? A Woolsey-Carter or a Woolsey-Sheppard or a Woolsey-Caldwell duo can work. Maybe the military leader (Carter) will be called back to Earth as the threat of Replicators and Wraith will be less, but she won't be fired. Ergo Carter can return to the city in the second half as Hayes president's military delegate.

yes I like that idea military delagate to the president would be a lateral move not a demotion- good idea

Integrabyte
February 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM
The same way they integrated SAM: poorly!

reddevil18
February 6th, 2008, 07:59 AM

You're just mad because it was The Doctor and not Seven Of Nine.

Mitchell82
February 6th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Well I disagree because Sam was integrated well.

Jumper_One
February 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM

:indeed:

Detox
February 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I don't think it's a) or b), especially not be. It just doesn't make sense due to his history.

He's always been fairly supportive of the SGC and Atlantis, and especially of both Weir and Carter, why would they assume that someone who supports Atlantis would be a good puppet?

Not to mention the fact that Kingsley already tried to use him as a puppet, and look at what happened to him. I'm sure the IOA knows about that little incident, and thus, would know he's not a puppet.

Yes, I think he's forced into it, but I think the reason would be on the military end. They screwed something up and the IOA decides that would much prefer to have a civilian in charge.

X-3-0-2
July 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think the IOA intends to make him a puppet, or at least have a commander more sympathetic to their view. Eventually he'll go his own way and grow as a leader and as a character.

Woolsey doesn't have much integrity

he doesn't deserve to lead

Ltcolshepjumper
July 2nd, 2008, 11:39 AM

She was highly underused, because her two main fields of expertise were already covered by Sheppard and Mckay. There is a reason Atlantis had a civilian diplomatic leader in the first place. Weir filled that position at first, and now Woolsey is.

Jeffala
July 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Woolsey doesn't have much integrity

he doesn't deserve to lead

What is there to prove that he doesn't have integrity?

If you consider his behavior in the past, he's been the strongest advocate possible for whatever his assignment was.

When he was assigned an oversight role to the SGC, he went after the duty like a bulldog and that's why he is pretty thoroughly reviled by the fans.

I think that, given his responsibility for the people of Atlantis and the success for the mission, he'll pursue his duties with the same zeal that made him hated by everyone and I think it'll turn out okay.# (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=8372090&postcount=4)

Rac80
July 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM

yep yep, that is where i see it as well!

I like that thinking, though hopefully he'll assert his independence. He's no longer just an IOA investigator or, if you will, pencil-pushing lackey. He's in charge. I'm confident that maybe after a week or two we'll see him begin to subscribe to the thinking that, "What do they know about how Pegasus works when they're sitting in complete safety on Earth?"
ONE CAN ONLY HOPE!!!!

uh huh you tell them!
I just remember woolsey from the return pts 1 & 2, he whined! but we shall see if TPTB will give him personal growth!

Mitchell82
July 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
She was highly underused, because her two main fields of expertise were already covered by Sheppard and Mckay. There is a reason Atlantis had a civilian diplomatic leader in the first place. Weir filled that position at first, and now Woolsey is.

I disagree. She was out of her element though personally she was the best commander since Hammond.

Ltcolshepjumper
July 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I disagree. She was out of her element though personally she was the best commander since Hammond.

Even better than Oneill? She may have been the best military commander. But honestly, two different skill sets (or supposedly).

Oh, Woolsey definitely has integrity. That's why in the end, he's always for the Stargate program.

starfox
July 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
I think Woolsey's there to bring things back around to focusing on technology that will help Earth. I think that the IOA wants to move Atlantis away from being it's own mission and back towards being a research outpost that finds goodies Earth can use to defend itself. Weir (in addition to being MIA/KIA) was always loyal to Atlantis and Carter doesn't have the greatest history of doing what the IOA wants. Woolsey's appointment is a political move. However, I think that after spending some time on the base and going through a few crises, he'll slowly start to align more with the Atlantis point of view. Until then, however, he's going to be great for creating conflict. He'll want the bottom line on everything they're doing, and sometimes there simply won't be one. Also, he'll make Sheppard and McKay do their paperwork, which they hate.