PDA

View Full Version : Size of the cast

Dave C
February 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM
now that most people have had the chance to praise or vent the S5 decisions i can raise this point

is the cast(+ recurring) now to big

we have the 4 team members, Woolsey(personally i would have preferred Ellis but i can see the storyline point of Woolsey), Lorne, Zelenka, this new Captain Allison Porter, Keller, with Beckett, Daniel, Carter all recurring

is this too many ?

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
variety is the spice of life.

bsg pulls off having a huge cast and may be having more people around will be good thing for sga

ykickamoocow
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
now that most people have had the chance to praise or vent the S5 decisions i can raise this point

we have the 4 team members, Woolsey(personally i would have preferred Ellis but i can see the storyline point of Woolsey), Lorne, Zelenka, this new Captain Allison Porter, Keller, with Beckett, Daniel, Carter all recurring

is this too many ?

No but i wouldnt want any more.

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 10:11 AM
It depends on whether you think TPTB can write meaningful dialog and development for all those characters, or whether they'll stick with their favorites and minimize others. ;)

Amalthea
February 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I think its getting dangerously large. Characters are definitely going to suffer if they try to stick them all in an episode together.

jenks
February 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM

is this too many ?

I've always though Atlantis needed an ensemble cast, so no.

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
What Toaster said and characters have suffered since season 1. TPTB don't have it in them to write for an ensemble cast, that's nothing new.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
variety is the spice of life.

bsg pulls off having a huge cast and may be having more people around will be good thing for sga

I agree with the statement in bold, unless of course your allergic and then it could be the death of your life.

In any event, I don't have a problem as long as the writers can hold it together. Unfortunately a bit of my pessism will arise here. In the past I felt the cast was too large and as such the writers sacrificed many character (regulars) moments and characters in whole...for example Teyla. She's only given a strong presence, even though many settings I found pointless, in S4. But then again Weir, unfortunately was another horrible disaster, from my perspective, until of course she's recurring. Which leads to something else.

As far as regulars go, I except a lot of problems. Probably cut back in storylines, probably more "undevelopment" and the like. As for the recurring characters and definitely with their writing in the past for recurring characters, excluding Larrin and Lucius, have been successful ventures and very well thought out. Basically characters I want again. People like Ford, post-addiction; people like Jeannie (not necessarily recurring), and of course Zelenka, Lorne, Bates (when he was there), Heightmeyer (when she was alive) are great examples of strong recurring characters. While again, the regulars suffered.

I've excluded the excellent writing for Ronon in the estimation since he is one regular in the line of several.

So there's a toss up. Of course in S4, there has been a slight improvement in writing for regulars which I can't deny, but still they're recurring characers are pretty strong and possibly stronger than their regs, excluding Ronon.

reddevil18
February 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
What Toaster said and characters have suffered since season 1. TPTB don't have it in them to write for an ensemble cast, that's nothing new.

But it's NOT an ensemble cast. It's always been the 4 main characters(and the focus on 2 of them - Rodney and John) plus the leader. All other charcters have been recurring or guests and the writers have never even attempted to make them more than that. Lorne and Zelenka grew a bit with time, because, even if they're background characters, they've been in numerous episodes. The same will happen with new recurring characters, like this Porter chick. I imagine her role will be the same siez and importance as Grodin in season 1...

Major_Griff
February 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
But it's NOT an ensemble cast. It's always been the 4 main characters(and the focus on 2 of them - Rodney and John) plus the leader. All other charcters have been recurring or guests and the writers have never even attempted to make them more than that. Lorne and Zelenka grew a bit with time, because, even if they're background characters, they've been in numerous episodes. The same will happen with new recurring characters, like this Porter chick. I imagine her role will be the same siez and importance as Grodin in season 1...

I disagree. Weir was much more than a Hammond type, and they tired to make Beckett a main character as well. That said I don't think the cast is getting too big. Recurring characters don't have to be in every ep or even have big parts when the do appear. As long as there are no more than 5 or 6 regulars, every thing is fine.

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Well, you may see it like TPTB see it... But I don't see it that way... If it's just about the team, then you don't need an equal amount of others running around in the background as recurring characters, or guest characters. Than it's the team and Hammond/Landry/O'Neill... that's it...

SGA is different... or should I say, it was different.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 11:10 AM

"Porter chick"...:S I don't know what to say. :mckay:

In any event, I agree with the 4 main, I never saw an ensemble cast either, however in the case of SGA they tried to handle more than the main four several times in utter failure. Weir was a regular making it 5 people in the cast, and then you had Beckett later becoming a regular---this is fairly large group of 6 main characters. I'd count that as an ensemble and basically was a horrible fairly, demoting both Weir and Beckett, the latter back to recurring.

So in a sense FH is correct. But as I stated in my last post, I feel the recurring characters will get the better writing and unfortunately the regulars a decrease in quality and probably more background noise for some of the regulars. That being said handling so many characters may not be a good idea.

It would have been cool based on the success of their recurring characters (from what I've seen of their last 4 seasons) to just have everyone recurring and just divide up the stories as misadventures of military/civilian and alien teams. I see Lorne's team, bring back Stackhouse and we see his team, and I see John's team....and so on and so forth. Everyone gets balanced out better that way.

But hey, the writers might be uber succesful this season in handling such a huge cast, of paticular recurrings. I'm not too hopeful on the regs though.

reddevil18
February 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
"Porter chick"...:S I don't know what to say. :mckay:

In any event, I agree with the 4 main, I never saw an ensemble cast either, however in the case of SGA they tried to handle more than the main four several times in utter failure. Weir was a regular making it 5 people in the cast, and then you had Beckett later becoming a regular---this is fairly large group of 6 main characters. I'd count that as an ensemble and basically was a horrible fairly, demoting both Weir and Beckett, the latter back to recurring.

So in a sense FH is correct. But as I stated in my last post, I feel the recurring characters will get the better writing and unfortunately the regulars a decrease in quality and probably more background noise for some of the regulars. That being said handling so many characters may not be a good idea.

It would have been cool based on the success of their recurring characters (from what I've seen of their last 4 seasons) to just have everyone recurring and just divide up the stories as misadventures of military/civilian and alien teams. I see Lorne's team, bring back Stackhouse and we see his team, and I see John's team....and so on and so forth. Everyone gets balanced out better that way.

But hey, the writers might be uber succesful this season in handling such a huge cast, of paticular recurrings. I'm not too hopeful on the regs though.
Oh, God! Seriously, give it a rest. "Porter chick", that's right. I don't remember her name. It's not some horrible insult, it's just a way of making people understand who I'm talking about.
And, whether it's 4 or 6 that were counted as "regulars", it's never been an ensemble cast. They were all regulars, but only John and Rodney were "main" characters. The rest have always been supporting characters. That's how it is.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Oh, God! Seriously, give it a rest. "Porter chick", that's right. I don't remember her name. It's not some horrible insult, it's just a way of making people understand who I'm talking about.
And, whether it's 4 or 6 that were counted as "regulars", it's never been an ensemble cast. They were all regulars, but only John and Rodney were "main" characters. The rest have always been supporting characters. That's how it is.

Woah, woah, no need to get yourself in a tizzy, I was just kidding.

Ah, so that's how you were defining it. Well then that takes the argument in a whole other direction.

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 11:22 AM
They were all regulars, but only John and Rodney were "main" characters. The rest have always been supporting characters. That's how it is.

Ha, now we see the true you... :p

reddevil18
February 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM

:) Ummm...*cough* No comment.

reddevil18
February 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Woah, woah, no need to get yourself in a tizzy, I was just kidding.

Ah, so that's how you were defining it. Well then that takes the argument in a whole other direction.

Well, I'm glad you were only kidding. I was afraid I had a femi...err...womanist stalker, trying to change my sexist ways!:p

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM

he's right though. Shep and Rodney have always had the most focus, even though Teyla, Ronon and Beckett have been regulars too (let's forget about Weir and Carter for the moment)

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
he's right though. Shep and Rodney have always had the most focus, even though Teyla, Ronon and Beckett have been regulars too (let's forget about Weir and Carter for the moment)

Hey, the girl with the research here... you don't need to tell me that.

jelgate
February 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hey, the girl with the research here... you don't need to tell me that.Research can be interperted a number of different ways.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hey, the girl with the research here... you don't need to tell me that.

sorry :P so how's your research coming? it's currently s3 right?

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Well, I'm glad you were only kidding. I was afraid I had a femi...err...womanist stalker, trying to change my sexist ways!:p

I can't be bothered. Thanks for remembering. Anyway I couldn't have stalked you, I posted on this thread before you did. :D :P

stclare
February 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
its not so much the size of the cast for me but the consistency of the writting for them.

i havent liked the new introductions this year esp Larrin eerrr :S

i dont think its possible with yet more additions next season for all the charcters to get some growth. i feel that the team has been non exsistent this season. team based eps are my preference I know there not everyones. I am just not interested in the other charcters anymore. with more additions i can see more of the same, where they pair of a couple of charcters and put them in an isolated situation.

continues to ponder Atlantis

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Research can be interperted a number of different ways.

True... therefor I'm not going by one element.

sorry :P so how's your research coming? it's currently s3 right?

Irresponsible... Which is better to stomach 6 times in a row than Irresistable after which I was in need of straightjacket. Even on mute Lucius is not the way to go. :p

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Irresponsible... Which is better to stomach 6 times in a row than Irresistable after which I was in need of straightjacket. Even on mute Lucius is not the way to go. :p

:eek: 6 times in a row??? oh boy :S

jelgate
February 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
True... therefor I'm not going by one element.Irresponsible... Which is better to stomach 6 times in a row than Irresistable after which I was in need of straightjacket. Even on mute Lucius is not the way to go. :pYou need to watch those episodes with a cup of Peptio Bismol

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
You need to watch those episodes with a cup of Peptio Bismol

yeah right that'll help the research :rolleyes: :P

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM
:eek: 6 times in a row??? oh boy :S

Well, yeah... there are 6 regulars (JF, TH, RL, JM, PM & DH) and I only have one stopwatch... which I fear might give out any day now.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Well, yeah... there are 6 regulars (JF, TH, RL, JM, PM & DH) and I only have one stopwatch... which I fear might give out any day now.

yeah I know why you have to watch it six times but still... you deserve a medal! :P

jelgate
February 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
yeah I know why you have to watch it six times but still... you deserve a medal! :Por some green. I would do it but I've given her green recently

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
or some green. I would do it but I've given her green recently

good idea but unfortunately I can't green her :(

Mitchell82
February 5th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I disagree. TPTB for Stargate can pull it off. The same cannot be said for tptb of BSG.

Falcon Horus
February 5th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I disagree. TPTB for Stargate can pull it off. The same cannot be said for tptb of BSG.

In that we will have to agree to disagree...

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Heh. Who gets, by far and away, the most screentime and lines on SGA? Shep and McKay. Hands down. For the past 4 seasons too. Conversely, who gets the most time on BSG? Easily split between 4 characters, not just 2 - Adama, Roslin, Apollo, and Starbuck. And don't forget Baltar and Six, who have a very prominent role, not to mention all the supporting cast including Tigh, Boomer, Helo, and Tyrol. Hell, Cain, a supporting character who was only in a few eps in s2, was given a large presence in Razor. :D

We can debate who can pull it off, as that's a matter of opinion, but the facts show that BSG's TPTB spread out screentime and development more evenly and among more characters than with SGA's TPTB.

Mitchell82
February 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Heh. Who gets, by far and away, the most screentime and lines on SGA? Shep and McKay. Hands down. For the past 4 seasons too. Conversely, who gets the most time on BSG? Easily split between 4 characters, not just 2 - Adama, Roslin, Apollo, and Starbuck. And don't forget Baltar and Six, who have a very prominent role, not to mention all the supporting cast including Tigh, Boomer, Helo, and Tyrol. Hell, Cain, a supporting character who was only in a few eps in s2, was given a large presence in Razor. :D

We can debate who can pull it off, as that's a matter of opinion, but the facts show that BSG's TPTB spread out screentime and development more evenly and among more characters than with SGA's TPTB.

Ok yeah Shep and Mckay get the most but I do think they do pull off utilizing the other characters just fine IMO.