PDA

View Full Version : Woolsey joins the crew in S5

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 06:42 AM
What is everyones feelings on him becoming the new Commander of Atlantis?

The_Carpenter
February 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I'm still in shock... was convinced it would be Caldwell oh well.

As for Woosley as leader how long till he has a heart attack from having to make calls like the one in the Seer

cabouse18
February 5th, 2008, 06:47 AM

As for Woosley as leader how long till he has a heart attack from having to make calls like the one in the Seer

I honestly thought it was going to be Caldwell as well. I guess they want to go back to having a civilian be in charge of Atlantis. Although, I just don't see Woosley being all that good; if, like you said, calls being made in the Seer are any indication of how things will be run, we will be at war with EVERYONE in the Pegasus galaxy by the end of S5!!!

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I was hoping it would be Caldwell... I wasn't shocked that it was Woolsey though, It was predictable that the I.O.A would place one of their own in command given the chance... I don't think he's up to the challenge, we'll have to wait and see if he is wiser than the Woolsey we've seen previously in SG1/SGA...

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I can take alot of the crap the writers give us with Atlantis but Woosley as Atlantis Commander ? If the character does not get a major re change this might be the one thing to get me to stop watching & it wont be hard to stop watching since Atlantis it is the only thing I watch on Sci-Fi. Stupid stupid move & I would imagine the majority will hate this decision.

Alan
February 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Really very surprised by this. Not sure what to make of it. I don't have any problems with the Richard Woolsey character but I never, ever imagined him wearing the Atlantis Expedition uniform or being the type of man who dealt with the situations that Sam and Weir handled on a regular basis during their respective leadership reigns which often required picking up a P90 which is also something I could never imagine Woolsey doing.

The guys a bureaucrat. A desk jockey. He dots the I's and crosses the T's on the paperwork but there's a lot more to being the leader of Atlantis than riding a desk and he's sure gonna have to get that figured out pretty quick smart or he won't last.

In a way his situation is the reverse of Sam's. Sam was always used to going "out there", exploring and fighting and she had to realise as a commander that there were situations when she wasn't able to do that and she'd have to leave it to Sheppard and his team unless, of course, they were in trouble in which case Sam could go back to soldiering. Woolsey is going to be used to staying in his office in Washington but he's going to need to realise that he will need to go off-world.

Seftrex
February 5th, 2008, 06:54 AM
The series is going to go down hill now I fear, they should of made Daniel the new leader he was the perfect candidate. Not someone who is afraid of everything and is going to dismiss any difficult choices.

The only good thing is, Beckett is back for five episodes... Though I hope it will be more ¬_¬

:(

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]The series is going to go down hill now I fear, they should of made Daniel the new leader he was the perfect candidate. Not someone who is afraid of everything and is going to dismiss any difficult choices

Indeed Seftrex if they are not careful with how they do this then this decision alone can be the decision that kills Atlantis. I am willing to give it a shot but if Woolsey is still Woolsey then Im done. I wonder what idiot suggested Woolsey as Commander

Chrysalis
February 5th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Woolsey for me falls into the same category as Keller: like the actor, can't stand the character on SGA.

This proves their crap about wanting to go military was just that. Crap. They're going back to a civilian, and not to one who'd be a better leader than Weir. The only thing he's better at is pissing off Shep.

I guess they wanted their tension between Shep and the leader. It didn't work with Elizabeth, it didn't work with Carter -- how long until Shep punches Woolsey's lights out though?

Raven56
To me, it was always a tossup between Caldwell and Woolsey.
It might just work out okay.
The position was really an administrative one originally, and now that the Replicator threat is gone, it can go back to that; in effect, he'll have as little to do with the action as Elizabeth did, and there shouldn't be any need to shoehorn him into episodes.
Also, since there's again a split between the admin/civilian side of the power and the military/security side, there's a good chance of some fireworks between him and Sheppard the next time there's an emergency and Shep decides it's military :)

Platschu
Woolsey is a funny, but also an annoying character. I don't know how will it work, because he "likes" to make bad decisions (like in Returning II). :S I hope he will show us his skills from Inaugaration, where he became a very positive character.

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM
This proves their crap about wanting to go military was just that. Crap. They're going back to a civilian, and not to one who'd be a better leader than Weir. The only thing he's better at is pissing off Shep.

If they wanted a Civilian Leader why not someone like Daniel ? Heck Johns ex would have been better then Woolsey. Why Woolsey of all people ? His character sucks ass

Landers
February 5th, 2008, 06:59 AM
TPTB can now "ship" Woolsey and Keller. They can whine, cry and snivel together for us every week! Just think of the marvelous stories! :S

Good grief. What have they done to my show????? *cries*

dresi4
February 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Horrible choice :S I hate this man. Ohh, come on, he's not a commander...

Platschu
February 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
The sad fact is that Michael Shanks is expensive for the series. :( Try to imagine the fan reaction if they could hear that Samantha Carter was the commander for one year, than Daniel Jackson was for an other year etc. So I think they made a neutral choice, which can rev Atlantis up. ;)

Ranlier
February 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Or alternatively, we can ship Teyla and Woolsey in an S/M relationship.

GateLadyM
February 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I can't believe this. A few episodes for Beckett, no mention of Weir at all, and, OMG, WOOLSEY? That wishy washy CREEP????????????????????????

OMG, I can't stomach this. *runs off to barf*

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM
The sad fact is that Michael Shanks is expensive for the series. :( Try to imagine the fan reaction if they could hear that Samantha Carter was the commander for one year, than Daniel Jackson was for an other year etc. So I think they made a neutral choice, which can rev Atlantis up. ;)

If it was Daniel VS Woolsey I think most would be happy with Daniel regardless of being an SG-1 fan or not

Jumper_One
I was pretty sure it'd be Caldwell but Woolsey's an ok character. I don't like the fact that he's a civilian, the Atlantis base should be run by someone military imo. s5 is gonna be very interesting...

Pharaoh Atem

now i wish we could make a anti thread :( this sucks

nothing against Robert of course but his character will have to change a lot for me to enjoy him

vaberella
Other than being tired of men in prominent positions with lots of air time.

I have no problems with Woolsey (disregarding his sex). I wonder what kind of leadership he'd do because I just see him be the end of Atlantis. It was teetering on the end of annihilation, I figure this is the sign of it's ultimate demise. A little sooner than I expected, but...meh!

Boo
February 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I've hated Woolsey since day one. I'm thinking that this is going to be a big mistake.

GateLadyM
February 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM

They never should have gotten rid of Weir. Carter didn't work, this dude, OMG, I don't even want to think of it now. Weir didn't do a lot, but she was the boss, and she was just FINE as is!

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Horrible choice :S I hate this man. Ohh, come on, he's not a commander...

same's true for Weir, both were/are administrators since they're not military ;)

joebags
February 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Jump.the.shark

The_Carpenter
February 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM
TPTB can now "ship" Woolsey and Keller. They can whine, cry and snivel together for us every week! Just think of the marvelous stories! :S

Sorry your show? Can I borrow it I want to watch a episode :cameronanime08b:

Back to the topic, I can see having 1 or 2 episodes with Woolsey being the old Woolsey before getting more used to having to make those sort of calls, in other words he will get two episodes to grow a pair lol

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've hated Woolsey since day one. I'm thinking that this is going to be a big mistake.

Hopefully the Wraith does an Atlantis Siege & Woosley dies for being the Stupid Coward that he is

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Back to the topic, I can see having 1 or 2 episodes with Woolsey being the old Woolsey before getting more used to having to make those sort of calls, in other words he will get two episodes to grow a pair lol

I somehow think most will not give him 2 episodes

joebags

Woolsey has been an idiot for years on SG1, before he was the spineless jerk on SGA. Now he's gonna "grow a pair"?

*ROTFLMAOPMP* Not gonna happen.

Anuna
Robert is great. I loved him in ST Voyager. But serioulsy? Woolsey as a leader? Tell me, just tell me how on Earth is he better then Weir?!

This is bloody ridiculous. Bye bye Atlantis. Sink, and sink deep.

ToasterOnFire
Jump.the.shark
Word. What a joke.

Aryk Celestis
February 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Well, this is certainly interesting.

Personally, I don't mind, seems like fun (as others have stated, I can definitely see Sheppard punching Woolsey). But I do know that this could go really bad with the fans. The writers definitely need to find a way to make this character more likeable or at least not as much of an idiot real soon. Like, in the first couple episodes of Season 5 or some fans might seriously quit watching.

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM
WTH??

I just found out and.... :S Is this some sort of sick joke? Woolsey as commander!?

I despise the character, he's annoying, arrogant, a jerk... NOT my choice for commander of Atlantis.

Admiral Mappalazarou
February 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
w00t! :cameron: I hope to GOD they don't write him like Wier....please....don't do that. Woosley is ace.

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Robert is great. I loved him in ST Voyager. But serioulsy? Woolsey as a leader? Tell me, just tell me how on Earth is he better then Weir?!

No one here is hating on Robert. Robert is a fantastic actor & I think everyone can agree on that. The character just really sucks & he would give Atlantis complete control to the Genii or Wraith when the next siege happens.

Anuna
February 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Well, this is certainly interesting.

Personally, I don't mind, seems like fun (as others have stated, I can definitely see Sheppard punching Woolsey). But I do know that this could go really bad with the fans. The writers definitely need to find a way to make this character more likeable or at least not as much of an idiot real soon. Like, in the first couple episodes of Season 5 or some fans might seriously quit watching.

TPTB deserve that. I mean WTF? Why not Caldwell? Or Sheppard? Is Shep going to be the errand boy for eternity?

Somebody tell me if there's a scene where Ronon yells at the new leader and the brave new leader faints. That's the only thing I'm interested to see. What a joke.

Pharaoh Atem
WTH??

I just found out and.... :S Is this some sort of sick joke? Woolsey as commander!?

I despise the character, he's annoying, arrogant, a jerk... NOT my choice for commander of Atlantis.

but it's getting the fans in a up roar which in turn will make people want to watch the show.

Celcool
Indeed Seftrex if they are not careful with how they do this then this decision alone can be the decision that kills Atlantis. I am willing to give it a shot but if Woolsey is still Woolsey then Im done. I wonder what idiot suggested Woolsey as Commander

I'm betting it's the same one who came up with the idea of removing Elizabeth.

Anuna
February 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM
No one here is hating on Robert. Robert is a fantastic actor & I think everyone can agree on that. The character just really sucks & he would give Atlantis complete control to the Genii or Wraith when the next siege happens.

Robert is great. Woolsey is spineless. Not really a leadership material, and doesn't come close to Weir. Nobody does, but please don't bite my head off here. That's my personal opinion.

Pharaoh Atem

at one time I think it was Robert cooper ...did say he wanted Robert to become a more regular member of the cast so i guess in a way he got his wish

1LostFurling
I am disappointed in two different ways: First, Woolsey is not the right choice for this job. All of us know the myriad of reasons why (indecision, poor decisions, no people skills, no technical knowledge, etc.).

However, I am more disappointed in the fact the TPTB will "magically" rewrite Woolsey's personality to better suit his new position, just like they dumbed down Carter's scientific knowledge so she could better fit the commander role.

It seems to me that TPTB were forced to make a last minute, rushed decision which, IMHO, appears to be an incorrect one. Let's hope the rewriting of Woolsey's character is both plausible and entertaining.

Homeslice55
February 5th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Horrible, I think I Season 4 is the last season for me. I would rather some crazy turn of event and somehow, oh I don't know, Vala is the leader. I would prefer that over Woolsey any day.

JohnRico
at one time I think it was Robert cooper ...did say he wanted Robert to become a more regular member of the cast so i guess in a way he got his wish

Woosley as Commander is NOT the way to bring in Woosley. I seriously hope the Wraith Sieges Atlantis now while Johns team is Off World. Woosley wouldnt last 1 minute

idlewild202
but it's getting the fans in a up roar which in turn will make people want to watch the show.Haha, no kidding... though, for me, it's a turn off, I like Woolsey as a recurring character, as much as he annoys me that's about all I can take of him. I hope he get's an attitude adjustment when he comes to Atlantis!

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM

well if s5 is like s4 I'll be happy :)

Anuna
but it's getting the fans in a up roar which in turn will make people want to watch the show.

It might. Or it might not. I'd bet on the latter.

Woosley as Commander is NOT the way to bring in Woosley. I seriously hope the Wraith Sieges Atlantis now while Johns team is Off World. Woosley wouldnt last 1 minute

Weir did it better. <snip>

Seftrex
*Hopes that all this Woolsey nonsense is a February Fools joke*

...I wish.

doylefan22
February 5th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I think it's interesting and has definitely potential. I don't necessarily like the character but that doesn't mean it can't make a good story. There's a lot of potential conflict there and a great opportunity to see the growth of the character as he adjusts to the reality of his new job. We've seen in the past Woolsey softening and becoming less by the book as he realises the truth beyond the paperwork. I hope that continues. I don't mind the character as long as he learns as he goes along.

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Ronon will end up wanting to shoot such a coward

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
The character just really sucks & he would give Atlantis complete control to the Genii or Wraith when the next siege happens.
Actually, I think it will give Sheppard a good chance to take over whenever he needs to - remember the position Woolsey's taking is really just administrative.

Is Shep going to be the errand boy for eternity?
I'd hate the idea of Sheppard being the head of Atlantis; he'd be stuck on base all the time, like RDA in SG-1. No fun at all!

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
well if s5 is like s4 I'll be happy :)
You and me both - so far, IMO S4 has been the best yet!

ykickamoocow
February 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I really like the actor Robert Picardo but i was kind of hoping for a non American as so far every Atlantis leader has been from the good old US of A. How about a German commander :)

Skydiver
February 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Folks

Leave robert picardo and Joe out of this discussion. You may hate his CHARACTER all day long, but you WILL respect the actor. No calling of names, no disparaging him, no being mean.

The topic is WOOLSEY IN SEASON 5 - not how much the world will suck now that this decision has been made.

Now i am NOT saying that both opinions aren't welcome. They are. But this is a discussion thread...so discuss. Why do you think woolsey will be good? why do you think he won't be? How will he have to change? or will he have to change?

Discuss, not rant.

And, ANY dissing of robert or Joe will be dealt with severely. RObert is just a guy doing a job. GIve him a chance to do it.

flynn1959
February 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Well I have to say I would rather have Carter than Woolsey! And I hate Carter.

I was prepared to give Atlantis another try this season, but not now. I really can't believe that tptb have done this. :(

Woolsey is a dreadful character and if they were going to have a civilian in charge after all why the heck did they get rid of Weir? This is like a kick in the teeth to all Weir fans! They brought in Carter because they needed a military leader and now one year later what do we get? Wimpy Woolsey!!!

I guess I shouldn't really care anymore but I liked Atlantis, it was one of the best shows on TV.

I might get someone to record the episodes with Daniel in if I remember and if I can find someone who still watches. But I guess this really is the end of the show for me.

Bagpuss
To me,Woolsey has been written very inconsistantly so far in both SG-1 and SGA.
I liked his early appearances on SG-1,but ended up disliking him in The Scourge ,and thinking of him as a coward who needed to grow a pair by the end of The Seer.

I'm hoping he'll fit as leader of the Atlantis Expedition...but I honestly don't have any faith in him yet.

I also find it strange that after all the big fuss claiming that Atlantis is at war, and needed a more military leadership style ,Carter isn't being replaced by another military commander.Though I favoured Caldwell,I'd have been fine with most of the other Canon Colonels if they'd been chosen .

IMO,if they had just wanted a beefed-up representative of the IOA..they should have kept Weir,and written her accordingly .

In fairness ,I don't have any idea of the pressures the PTB face ,actual discussions they have ,or actor availability, nor do I have any right to attack anyone steering the show for making any decision I disagree with.

Change happens,and the fun part is dealing with it ,as I've been so fond of saying for years .

If I don't enjoy Woolsey's leadership ,or anything else in Season 5..I'll tape the episodes ,then use the fast forward button on my remote when I rewatch .

I'm hoping not to have to do that too often.That gets in the way of a fair opinion,lol !;)

cabouse18
Whether or not we all realize it right now, good or bad, we are doing exactly what the writers want us to do.....TALK/DISCUSS ABOUT THIS. This whole thing will and is generating hoopla about and for the show and will get people to watch b/c they will want to see how this will eventually play out. So from that standpoint kudos to the writers of SGA!:) Whether or not we like the idea of Woosley as the commander people will tune in inorder to make a decision and as much as some people say they won't, they will still watch.

metabog
February 5th, 2008, 07:23 AM
This is awesome, he will be in constant antithesis with Sheppard. It's good to finally have some real main team conflict. It's a change for the better, and will create more tension (and he's such an annoying character it's great :D, someone more for us to hate).

And his character was my favorite on voyager.

FoolishPleasure
February 5th, 2008, 07:24 AM

I'm all for this ship! Woolsey/Keller! They can hide under desks and in closets together, getting nice and close, whining about how they are so understood, and since no one wants to be around them, maybe they can go with each other to all those parties! Woo-hoo!!! :cameron:

Ya know, that Russian general would have been good too. We saw his ship explode on SG1, but he "could" have escaped.

Anyone would have been better. Anyone. Even Kavanagh. Well, um, maybe not Kav. ;)

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Whether or not we all realize it right now, good or bad, we are doing exactly what the writers want us to do.....TALK/DISCUSS ABOUT THIS. This whole thing will and is generating hoopla about and for the show and will get people to watch b/c they will want to see how this will eventually play out. So from that standpoint kudos to the writers of SGA!:) Whether or not we like the idea of Woosley as the commander people will tune in inorder to make a decision and as much as some people say they won't, they will still watch.
Nope, I'm done after s4. I can't choke down this amount of absurdity anymore. :)

Vespasianus
February 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well, look on the bright side: lots of conflicts on the show! Besides, Woolsey is in a grave need of developing and IMO it might be interesting to see him rising to the requirements of leadership and betraying his precious IOA.

FoolishPleasure
February 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Uh, no. I can rage on this casting, but I have no intention of watching it. As someone said in another thread - this is SGA's Death Certificate.

Alan
February 5th, 2008, 07:28 AM
There's two things I want to know:

1) What circumstances makes the IOA replace Sam with Woolsey who is one of their own operatives? So long as it's nothing untoward that's happened to Sam physically or mentally or career wise or personally then I'll be fine with it. But I will be royally p***ed off if TPTB do anything that affects Sam's character in the long run with whatever storyline they've got rattling around in their heads. If I don't like what happens to Sam in S5, then Stargate: Atlantis finishes for me at the end of S4.

2) What the hell did we fans do so wrong to get a character like Woolsey inflicted on us for 20-episodes worth of a season?! :eek:

Anuna
February 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
2) What the hell did we fans do so wrong to get a character like Woolsey inflicted on us for 20-episodes worth of a season?! :eek:

That's a damn good question. I don't watch it any more. It's unbearable the way it is now. With Woolsey as a leader it becomes a joke. TPTB have fallen really LOW.

Ranlier
Here's an important question:

What exactly does Woolsey have command over? Sheppard obviously isn't a fan of him, and all the 304s are under the command of General O'Neill (DHWS).

Won't take long for McKay to turn against him, then he's castrated.

idlewild202
2) What the hell did we fans do so wrong to get a character like Woolsey inflicted on us for 20-episodes worth of a season?! :eek:I agree with you 110%.... All I can think right now is why? Why, why WHY? :(

Shan Bruce Lee
February 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Uh, no. I can rage on this casting, but I have no intention of watching it. As someone said in another thread - this is SGA's Death Certificate.

I wouldn't go that far. There might be some people that don't like it but there are a lot of Trek fans that are probably excited.

Personally, it's not the guy I wanted but I'm not upset about it. It gives them the chance to make Shep a rebelious leader again. That's something that was key to his character from the beginning.

Jackie
February 5th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I loved RP when he played the doctor on star trek...but I can't stand woosley. The character is this constant whiner and between Dr. Keller, Rodney McKay and Mr. Woosley the show has now become Stargate the Crying Game.

I can see the scene now:

Dr. Keller: "I have found an exploding tumor on Dr. McKay's CAT scan. I think it should be removed. Any volunteers?"

Dr. McKay: "Any volunteers? We're talking about my life here. I don't wanna die!"

Mr. Woosely: "Don't you think it would be best if we had the bomb squad remove it on the pier? I'll Earth."

Leliana McKay
February 5th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I can't say I'm shocked since I guessed right.
Like Fenrir said, this was very predictable. The IOA has always been meddling with the SGC and Atlantis command. Now as to say if Woolsey is a good leader... that's a big step to take.
"The Seer" showed that he deals with his mistakes and he will learn from them. I think there will be many clashes with Sheppard and Co. Thankfully the writers will make him grow a bit and he will rely on the Team to make the good calls.
So, right now... I'm hopeful.

idlewild202
Heh... I just told my sister and in her words: "That's DUMB"

dannster
Well, I've never complained about Stargate SG1 or Atlantis but this has really made me think differently of the show and I'm not too confident I'll be watching it.

I think the show needs some stability and I imagine changing the cast around so much would leave the occasional viewer confused.

I was as happy as most people were when Sam joined Atlantis (even though I guessed it would be temporary), but maybe they shouldn't have made her leader. These changes in command leaves me to think their clutching at straws...

Richard Woolsey, in my opinion (!!!!!!!!!!!!), was good appearing when Atlantis was in dire need but commander?! I think the show won't last past season 5.

flynn1959
February 5th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Nope that's not true at all. When I heard about the changes last season I decided not to watch and I didn't. If people really dislike Woolsey and just from reading posts on this forum and others a lot of people really detest the man then they will not watch the show. Not even to see how things play out. What is the point of watching a character you don't like?

Stormin
February 5th, 2008, 07:35 AM
A stupid idea. Putting someone in command who has no command experience. The writers are desperate. I fear that season 5 will be the beginning of the end for Atlantis. Woolsey is a silly and weak character. I'd rather see the Emergency Medical Hologram from Voyager in command, at least he has some command experience.

SanGate
February 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Personally, it's not the guy I wanted but I'm not upset about it. It gives them the chance to make Shep a rebelious leader again. That's something that was key to his character from the beginning.

Exactly! Now it's really military vs civilian again, and although that was the same with Weir, with these two I think were really in for some nice loud scenes! I'm actually getting excited about it!:) Maybe it looks like a strange choice letting cowardly Woolsey in charge, but I expect the writers to know that Woolsey is that strange choice, and so I trust them to have a good view on that and that they will come up with a great story line for it.

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't go that far. There might be some people that don't like it but there are a lot of Trek fans that are probably excited.
Trek fans have almost certainly given Stargate a chance already. That's the thing with SF fans - they're very loyal to the SF genre and will try out all the new SF shows. They're either still watching SGA or they didn't like it and stopped watching - the addition of one secondary Trek character definitely isn't going to have an effect on the ratings.

Anuna
February 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
A stupid idea. Putting someone in command who has no command experience. The writers are desperate. I fear that season 5 will be the beginning of the end for Atlantis. Woolsey is a silly and weak character. I'd rather see the Emergency Medical Hologram from Voyager in command, at least he has some command experience.

Amen to that. EMC at least has a sense of humor.

Here's an important question:

What exactly does Woolsey have command over? Sheppard obviously isn't a fan of him, and all the 304s are under the command of General O'Neill (DHWS).

Won't take long for McKay to turn against him, then he's castrated.

This might be the perfect opportunity for McKay to kick @ss.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Exactly! Now it's really military vs civilian again, and although that was the same with Weir, with these two I think were really in for some nice loud scenes! I'm actually getting excited about it!:) Maybe it looks like a strange choice letting cowardly Woolsey in charge, but I expect the writers to know that Woolsey is that strange choice, and so I trust them to have a good view on that and that they will come up with a great story line for it.

Yeah, I can agree that it could lead to many explosive scenes.

Ronon vs. Woolsey, that's a deathmatch I can't wait to see... :mckay: :S

Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell
February 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
:thoranime09::mad::(

I like Robert Picardo and Woolsey is interesting in 2 or 3 episode a Season but for him to be Atlantis Commander and be in most of the 20 episodes is madness and I don't like it, the only silver lining is Beckett for 5 episodes and Daniel for 1 or 2 episodes but this is a sad day for me. :(:(

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I can agree that it could lead to many explosive scenes.

Ronon vs. Woolsey, that's a deathmatch I can't wait to see... :mckay: :S

Ronon in 1 round :P

Major_Griff
February 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Not surprised at all since before coming on the boards and hearing people make the case for Caldwell, I would have thought him the most likely choice, just because of how much the PTB love Picardo. Caldwell would have been a better choice as he would have kept the military thing going, and would have been a million times closer to the Hammond type character they keep saying they always wanted to be in charge of Atlantis. Oh well, the PTB have yet to go in a direction that once given a chance turned out well IMO so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Aethon
February 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Why do bad things happen to good people?

Are they F**** nutz? Woolsey? For crying out loud!
What retard came up with this idea... there goes all hope for a season 6...

Good bye Atlantis, as you sink into the depths of hell...

Either TPTB are Goa'ould, overrun by The trust, Kinsey is in charge, or the IOA is the new gouvernment...

Oh well... :8

What's up with changing the leader every ******* season?

blue-skyz
February 5th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I like the choice of Woolsey.

He should be the administrative head of Atlantis and I expect it to be some kind of interim appointment. Sheppard would not have been willing to take the job. This way he will be Military Commander again. Since they are at war with the Wraith, that will leave him in charge of making most of the interesting decisions, without any of the political hassle he was unwilling to endure. It will not prevent him from being a team leader the way he’s always been. Woolsey should be in the background or out of the picture most of the time until he is needed for some conflict/drama/humor. That might make the IOA and the military both happy.

I think RP will make an interesting addition to the cast. :)

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM
It will be so weird seeing Woolsey in the Opening Credits :(

cabouse18
February 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Nope that's not true at all. When I heard about the changes last season I decided not to watch and I didn't. If people really dislike Woolsey and just from reading posts on this forum and others a lot of people really detest the man then they will not watch the show. Not even to see how things play out. What is the point of watching a character you don't like?

Then IMO those people aren't fans of the 'show' itself. If you are going to stop watching an entire series/show b/c of one character then that is stupid. Now if the entire show were to go in a different direction, say no more Wraith and a new enemy shows up then I could say I probably wouldn't watch. There have been many shows out there that I watch where there is was one character I hated and absolutely couldn't stand but I still watched the show b/c I am a fan of the 'show.'

If you detest Woosley fine....but if that is the only reason you are not going to watch...that is stupid.

Celcool
February 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
*Hopes that all this Woolsey nonsense is a February Fools joke*

...I wish.

I don't know about that but it is hilarious either way.

licia
February 5th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I really like this move. s4 has been my favorite so far - I could do without Carter & Keller because I don't feel they add a lot in terms of dramatic potential, but what I like about Woolsey is that he has that in spades and IMO it will really add to s5. It seems obvious he's not going to get on with Sheppard & McKay, but is he really going to be completely isolated from everyone? Woolsey's smart & competent enough if he's managed to get promoted to commander to be able to forge alliances with people he has to work with even if they don't like him - so who's it going to be on Atlantis? How's he going to balance military versus civilian/scientific objectives? How's he going to deal with the Larrins & Michaels & Lucius' of Pegasus? A purely military character like Caldwell doesn't have that potential, & IMO they missed some of the opportunity that might have been there with Carter. Besides, I can't see him dominating the entire season as a character, TPTB have a lot to balance with all the other guests etc, so for now I'm going to sit back & enjoy the rest of s4 & wait & see what happens.

FireCat
February 5th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I thought for sure Caldwell would be the new boss. He is military, he is a strong character, he clashes with Sheppard.

What do we get? A wuss.

wraithlord
To be honest i would have preferred Caldwell as the new commander but still i think Woolsey as commander of Atlantis is a good idea and its going to be very interesting to see how it all works out.

Pharaoh Atem
It will be so weird seeing Woolsey in the Opening Credits :(

i didn't think of that.

he'll probably get weir/carters spot

Aethon
February 5th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Well, the way things are going, I just figured out the leader of S6.

This guy:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/ZampraZ/2x19_068.jpg

marielabbott

I loved Robert Picardo in Voyager; he was my favorite character there. I think he's a terrific actor. But his character in Stargate...no way can I picture him in command of Atlantis. And like multiple people have already commented on, I don't understand why we have a civilian leader again, after the need for putting the military in charge was used to justify Carter taking command. I would have vastly preferred Caldwell.

Seftrex
Gah! I wonder what dramatic pose they will have Woolsey in, it is common knowledge that each of them have a very dramatic face pose in the intro.

Hmm maybe him giving his "Oh no we are doomed" glance, or maybe his "We can't trust anything" stare.

:(

xfairy1013
February 5th, 2008, 07:47 AM

I second that... I wonder what are they thinking... I really don't see Woolsey as a good leader for Atlantis! Nohing wrong about the actor, I like him, but... Woolsey? :mckay::mckay::mckay:

Lythisrose
February 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I was kind of hoping it would either be Caldwell or Ellis, as I would have thought they'd want to continue on with military leadership. It seems a bit, I don't know the word for it, capricious?, to just change back and forth like this. Hope they come up with a good reason to justify the move.
That said, I'll give Woolsey a chance, and hopefully they can develop his character into someone annoying enough to create some tension and interesting conflicts with the Team, but just likeable enough that we don't constantly wish him gated into space.

Raven56

Exactly! I hated the character at first, but he does seem to learn (still not particularly brave, though :) ) His actions at Carter's review time show that.

I don't think he's going to have a huge part, and if it gets Shep back again, I'll be most pleased....

Emre
I think I died a little inside when reading those news.

Woolsey is </3.

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Then IMO those people aren't fans of the 'show' itself. If you are going to stop watching an entire series/show b/c of one character then that is stupid. Now if the entire show were to go in a different direction, say no more Wraith and a new enemy shows up then I could say I probably wouldn't watch. There have been many shows out there that I watch where there is was one character I hated and absolutely couldn't stand but I still watched the show b/c I am a fan of the 'show.'

If you detest Woosley fine....but if that is the only reason you are not going to watch...that is stupid.
Yep, I knew if was only a matter of time before someone started the "true fan" crap. It's the fandom equivalent of Godwin's law. :rolleyes:

blue-skyz
February 5th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I really like this move. s4 has been my favorite so far - I could do without Carter & Keller because I don't feel they add a lot in terms of dramatic potential, but what I like about Woolsey is that he has that in spades and IMO it will really add to s5. It seems obvious he's not going to get on with Sheppard & McKay, but is he really going to be completely isolated from everyone? Woolsey's smart & competent enough if he's managed to get promoted to commander to be able to forge alliances with people he has to work with even if they don't like him - so who's it going to be on Atlantis? How's he going to balance military versus civilian/scientific objectives? How's he going to deal with the Larrins & Michaels & Lucius' of Pegasus? A purely military character like Caldwell doesn't have that potential, & IMO they missed some of the opportunity that might have been there with Carter. Besides, I can't see him dominating the entire season as a character, TPTB have a lot to balance with all the other guests etc, so for now I'm going to sit back & enjoy the rest of s4 & wait & see what happens.

ITA. Let's be optimistic! :)

caz4cats
After reading a BUNCH of negative, nasty posts here about this decision, I must reply.

First -- Thank you all writers and producers of SGA for a QUALITY, Best of Class show. We all appreciate your hard work and dedication and efforts to create magic for us, the fans.

Second -- The decision to put Woolsey in charge is a very clever one indeed, at least from a storyline point of view. Robert Picardo is a wonderful, gifted actor and RDA had only GOOD THINGS to say about him when they worked together, (The Return 2). Give the man a chance.

Third -- Now we can all watch the fireworks between him and Sheppard with glee. My guess is, Woolsey will soon learn to defer to Sheppard in all things military while he happily pushes his pencils and rides herd over the other scientists on Atlantis base. The IOA will be (temporarily) mollified and the adventures will continue to roll along with Sheppard taking charge!

Last -- I, for one, am happy with this decision and glad the news is out. I had to give it a while to sink in, but I can now better understand the wisdom of it. Some of you could also benefit from sitting back, taking a breath and thinking it through before you spout doom and gloom.

May Stargate Atlantis continue to amaze us, enthrall us and captivate our collective imaginations for many seasons to come. YAH!

Jumper_One
I was kind of hoping it would either be Caldwell or Ellis, as I would have thought they'd want to continue on with military leadership. It seems a bit, I don't know the word for it, capricious?, to just change back and forth like this. Hope they come up with a good reason to justify the move.

it's probably the IOA's idea because they don't like someone in the military being in charge of the Atlantis base

That said, I'll give Woolsey a chance, and hopefully they can develop his character into someonee annoying enough to create some tension and interesting conflicts with the Team, but just likeable enough that we don't constantly wish him gated into space.

same here :)

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM

He should be the administrative head of Atlantis and I expect it to be some kind of interim appointment. Sheppard would not have been willing to take the job. This way he will be Military Commander again. Since they are at war with the Wraith, that will leave him in charge of making most of the interesting decisions, without any of the political hassle he was unwilling to endure. It will not prevent him from being a team leader the way he’s always been. Woolsey should be in the background or out of the picture most of the time until he is needed for some conflict/drama/humor. That might make the IOA and the military both happy.

I think RP will make an interesting addition to the cast. :)I agree, but not many others seem to ;)
Wow. Haven't seen this much acrimony since Miller's Crossing :runs and hides:

Pharaoh Atem

i'll still watch it but the shock of woolsey becoming a regular .....caught me off gaurd.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out

JohnRico
I can just picture Woosley in the next Siege of Atlantis

Woosley - "We're doomed, we're doomed"

Then Ronon knocks him out

John says "Thank you lets go"

Both leave

John - "We cant leave him"

Ronon knocks John out

Then Ronon carries both John & Woosley to the nearest Jumper

vaberella
Ronon in 1 round :P

Fine. A more realistic death match I'd like to see.

Mckay vs. Woolsey.

Professor Chaos
February 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I was sure it was going to be Caldwell as well, oh well. Actually, this might be a good thing. This way Sheppard will still be the top military guy and pretty much be the guy in charge without actually being the guy in charge. Could work.

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM
After reading a BUNCH of negative, nasty posts here about this decision, I must reply.

First -- Thank you all writers and producers of SGA for a QUALITY, Best of Class show. We all appreciate your hard work and dedication and efforts to create magic for us, the fans.

Second -- The decision to put Woolsey in charge is a very clever one indeed, at least from a storyline point of view. Robert Picardo is a wonderful, gifted actor and RDA had only GOOD THINGS to say about him when they worked together, (The Return 2). Give the man a chance.

Third -- Now we can all watch the fireworks between him and Sheppard with glee. My guess is, Woolsey will soon learn to defer to Sheppard in all things military while he happily pushes his pencils and rides herd over the other scientists on Atlantis base. The IOA will be (temporarily) mollified and the adventures will continue to roll along with Sheppard taking charge!

Last -- I, for one, am happy with this decision and glad the news is out. I had to give it a while to sink in, but I can now better understand the wisdom of it. Some of you could also benefit from sitting back, taking a breath and thinking it through before you spout doom and gloom.

May Stargate Atlantis continue to amaze us, enthrall us and captivate our collective imaginations for many seasons to come. YAH!
Well said. I greened you :D
And my personal favorite above was Third :)

Killdeer
February 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I like the choice, at least for now. I think they could do a lot of interesting things with this choice.

One of the things that I was frustrated about with Carter was how they pretty much avoided any kind of conflict, except for the token confrontation with Ronon at the beginning. With this situation, I am pretty well assured that there will be lots and lots of conflict. And I think it's got a lot of potential for storylines, because, instead of the much loved and respected Carter whom everyone worked well with, you have someone coming in that everyone on Atlantis is going to be unhappy with. I can just see the groans and eyerolls now. :D And while the first may be preferable in real life, the second has much more storytelling potential IMO. And the writers don't have to worry about making him look bad, like with Carter, because everyone already has a low opinion of him. They have a lot more freedom with Woolsey than they did with Carter I think.

Of course they could completely screw it up too, if they decide to write Woolsey as a completely different character in order to have him do the job. But ideally, he will be just what he is now, a bureaucrat, and then he can slowly grow over the course of the season.

And yes, I'm also very happy that Sheppard is military commander again. :D

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I can just picture Woosley in the next Siege of Atlantis

Woosley - "We're doomed, we're doomed"

Then Ronon knocks him out

John says "Thank you lets go"

Both leave

John - "We cant leave him"

Ronon knocks John out

Then Ronon carries both John & Woosley to the nearest Jumper

he';s been on Atlantis enough and other bad situations ...give him some credit he could surprise us in season 5 :D

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I was sure it was going to be Caldwell as well, oh well. Actually, this might be a good thing. This way Sheppard will still be the top military guy and pretty much be the guy in charge without actually being the guy in charge. Could work.

Can you see Shep stuck with paperwork? It'd be the performance reviews all over again :D

arrakis44
February 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Personally I'm not thrilled with the idea of Woolsey being in command either. I really hope the writers at least have some idea of what they are doing here. I'm with most others here, I thought they would have put Caldwell in command. If they wanted a non military leader, why not an alien leader. Say Jonus Quinn for example - he'd be a fun guy to have leading Atlantis.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
he';s been on Atlantis enough and other bad situations ...give him some credit he could surprise us in season 5 :D

Or not...last I saw him, he couldn't shoot the replicators or escape their mind probes (not that I fault him for those two things) and he was used as a "red herring."

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I like the choice, at least for now. I think they could do a lot of interesting things with this choice.
...snip for space...

Of course they could completely screw it up too, if they decide to write Woolsey as a completely different character in order to have him do the job. But ideally, he will be just what he is now, a bureaucrat, and then he can slowly grow over the course of the season.

And yes, I'm also very happy that Sheppard is military commander again. :D

:indeed:

And Woolsey has already grown some - he's been willing to 'adjust' reports and he's well aware that the IOA doesn't REALLY want to know some stuff :)

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
i'll still watch it but the shock of woolsey becoming a regular .....caught me off gaurd.

it will be interesting to see how it plays out
I will still be watching and continuing to support the show.

But I'm with you... the news of Woolsey becoming the leader has been a bit of a punch in the gut this morning, I'm still trying to make heads and tails of it. I am very curious now how they will do this chance of leadership, but still... wow, my head is spinning.

1LostFurling
February 5th, 2008, 08:02 AM
[/B]

No offense, but let's try and refrain from mentioning Lucius Lavin. Undoubtly one of TPTB will read this and take is as justification for bringing back that character.

I can just see it..."TPTB" Did you guys see that?? Someone mentioned Lucius!!! That means all fans luv his character so let's bring him back for a 10 episode arc!!

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
[/B]

No offense, but let's try and refrain from mentioning Lucius Lavin. Undoubtly one of TPTB will read this and take is as justification for bringing back that character.

I can just see it..."TPTB" Did you guys see that?? Someone mentioned Lucius!!! That means all fans luv his character so let's bring him back for a 10 episode arc!!

I'd take him over Larrin any day of the week.* ;) But that's besides the point of this thread. :D

*I'll try to refrain myself in future.:cool:

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I wonder if Ronon punching Woosley will be the "Indeed" of Atlantis ?

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 08:06 AM
:thoranime09::mad::(

I like Robert Picardo and Woolsey is interesting in 2 or 3 episode a Season but for him to be Atlantis Commander and be in most of the 20 episodes is madness and I don't like it, the only silver lining is Beckett for 5 episodes and Daniel for 1 or 2 episodes but this is a sad day for me. :(:(

I doubt he'll be in every episode.

Blitzwing
I really don't like this idea. Woolsey is allright as a guest character who annoys the regular characters, but really, he has shown nothing in the way of leadership qualities. He's a bueracrat, who evaluates decesions made in the field from the safety of his desk. Really, what qualifies him to lead the expedition. "The Seer," showed what kind of leader he'd make.

Not to mention he's a civilian. What was point of bringing a miliary leader, only to go back to civilian leader, after a year. I assume, this puts Sheppard back in command of Atlantis' military forces, though.

Jumper_One
I doubt he'll be in every episode.

yeah I think he'll be in about the same eps as Carter in s4 -> 14

flynn1959
February 5th, 2008, 08:07 AM

I bow to a superior 'fan'. I don't see the point in watching a show if I don't like what I see. If that makes me not a fan and stupid so be it.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
February 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Yep, I can just see Ronan and Woolsey becoming best pals.:)

Astraldust
February 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Exactly! I hated the character at first, but he does seem to learn (still not particularly brave, though :) ) His actions at Carter's review time show that.

I don't think he's going to have a huge part, and if it gets Shep back again, I'll be most pleased....

Yep I can just see Shep getting into a lot of trouble when he hits Woolsey over the head with one of Teyla's fighting sticks. :D

No seriously, I can't see Woolsey being a good leader but I'm willing to give him a chance if he gets a little backbone.

At least the team is still intact and that's main thing. Hopefully there will be more team episodes in S5.

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I bow to a superior 'fan'. I don't see the point in watching a show if I don't like what I see. If that makes me not a fan and stupid so be it.

Just ignore the ones that consider themselves a "true fan". They have their own issues

idlewild202
I doubt he'll be in every episode.I kinda hate to say it, but I hope he'll be like Sam was in this season, there as a regular, but not every episode. I could deal with that.

vaberella

Hmmm...like a snake and a mouse. :)

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM

lol yup there will be fishing everyday :P

blue-skyz
February 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM

I agree.

Robert Picardo is such a wonderful actor. TPTB have to have a vision of his character fitting into the Atlantis cast. Frankly, off the top of my head, I can think of many situations where his character will add to the complexity and interest of SGA.

Woolsey should grow over the course of S5. There already is depth to the character. He has falsified reports to Atlantis’ good, twice on the show. The man is a realist. In time, he will become more a member of Atlantis than the IOA, not that he will never stop being basically a timid administrative type. He will come to rely on Sheppard and the team, even as he points out the possible consequences, both dire and political.

RP will prove to be a great choice. :)

Stargate:Atlantis will continue to be a great show. :)

blue-skyz
February 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I agree, but not many others seem to ;)
:lol:

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'd take him over Larrin any day of the week.
But I like Larrin! Watching Sheppard stumbling over his own feet every time he gets near her is extremely amusing... ;)
Anyway, back to topic:

Not to mention he's a civilian. What was point of bringing a miliary leader, only to go back to civilian leader, after a year. I assume, this puts Sheppard back in command of Atlantis' military forces, though.
I think that is the point, actually. Military leader while the Replicators were a danger, now back to civilian (and supposed IOA stooge, at that) now that things have calmed.

Frankly, off the top of my head, I can think of many situations where his character will add to the complexity and interest of SGA.

Woolsey should grow over the course of S5. There already is depth to the character. He has falsified reports to Atlantis’ good, twice on the show. The man is a realist. In time, he will become more a member of Atlantis than the IOA, not that he will never stop being basically a timid administrative type. He will come to rely on Sheppard and the team, even as he points out the possible consequences, both dire and political.

RP will prove to be a great choice. :)

Stargate:Atlantis will continue to be a great show. :)

Ruffles
February 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I think it's a great idea. The Woolsey character can be reworked (similar to McKay). He's been a foil for the SGC, Weir and Carter (much like McKay was to Carter in the SG-1 eps he first appeared in). He's been written as a bit bumbling and irritating to make the Atlantis folks look good. If they can take Rodney McKay from the unbearably arrogant a** he was in 48 Hours to the guy I saw in the first few minutes of Outcast (and even the one I saw in 38 Minutes in S1) then they can "discover" some good qualities to bring forth in Woolsey.

Actually, I think it will give Sheppard a good chance to take over whenever he needs to - remember the position Woolsey's taking is really just administrative.

I'd hate the idea of Sheppard being the head of Atlantis; he'd be stuck on base all the time, like RDA in SG-1. No fun at all!

Yep. Right there with you on this. Sheppard needs to be leading a team, not sitting behind a desk.

Ah, you assume 20. Carter as leader was around for 14.

I can't say I'm shocked since I guessed right. Like Fenrir said, this was very predictable. The IOA has always been meddling with the SGC and Atlantis command. Now as to say if Woolsey is a good leader... that's a big step to take. "The Seer" showed that he deals with his mistakes and he will learn from them. I think there will be many clashes with Sheppard and Co. Thankfully the writers will make him grow a bit and he will rely on the Team to make the good calls.
So, right now... I'm hopeful.

I agree. I think (from a pure storyline POV) that Woolsey would be the obvious choice. Atlantis has had 2 leaders that the IOA can't control. Now, for reasons still TBD, Carter is leaving and they have the chance to put their own person in charge.

I think RP will make an interesting addition to the cast. :)

Yep. He's a paper pusher - someone that belongs behind a desk ordering paperclips. While he'll have tough decisions to make, he has a senior staff (Sheppard, McKay, etc) that have the knowledge and experience to help him. He can administrate while the team goes off-world without trying to force a story that shows him using his "skills".

I thought for sure Caldwell would be the new boss. He is military, he is a strong character, he clashes with Sheppard.

What do we get? A wuss.

And that's the beauty of it. This is TOTALLY a real world thing that would happen. He's the IOA's puppet. BUT - this gives the writers so many avenues to take. Woolsey may have failed, but he tried to defend himself with O'Neill's P-90 in The Return. He's not a complete coward. He just lacks training. He's sat behind a desk his entire life and has rarely had to make a decision that endangered someone else's life. He has lots of room for growth, for making mistakes, for making unexpected choices.

I'm with you here. I think the fireworks between him and Sheppard alone will be worth the price of admission. However, McKay can dish it to. The mind boggles at the thickness of the sarcasm that will appear the first time Woolsey makes a decision McKay disagrees with. And the look on Ronon's face should be priceless the first time Woolsey tries to tell him to do something. S5 - thy name is conflict.

Pepermint Jaffa
February 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I like it!!!

His character has a lot of room to grow, which will be fun to watch. I loved the episodes where Sheppard and Weir didn't see eye to eye; the conflict between Sheppard and Woolsey will be interesting and bigger than anything there was between Sheppard and Weir.

The addition of Woolsey will add some depth to the show...assuming the actors can pull it off, which I have no doubt they can do.

The Woolsey character can be reworked (similar to McKay). He's been a foil for the SGC, Weir and Carter (much like McKay was to Carter in the SG-1 eps he first appeared in).

Exactly. Picardo is a good actor, the writers are good...it will work.

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I kinda hate to say it, but I hope he'll be like Sam was in this season, there as a regular, but not every episode. I could deal with that.

He is going to be a more supportive role. We'll likely get more focused eps on Carson this season than Woosley. Woosley will have his moments, there will be conflincts, especially him and Sheppard. Oh it's gonna be really great!! I am not being sarcastic either.

My only misgiving is with Carson. Give him a few more eps, which could happen. I don't think 5 is the final number since they have not written the entire season just yet.

Also, will Weir be guest starring in a decent amount of eps? Well lets hope so.

Sheppard's team is still there, so that will be left undone. That has been the same for 4 seasons now.

atfan
February 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I agree, but not many others seem to ;)
With Carter wanting to still guest-star it is the only thing that would make sense plot-wise. She was replaced due to the IOA not because she was an incompetent leader. This allows her character to not be slammed and opens up a whole lot of conflict plus I am reasonably sure once Woolsey realizes why the IOA put him in charge, I suspect he will rebel some and learn to make the bests decisions for Atlantis and not necessarily the IOA. After all he is stuck on Atlantis and his survival will be important to him. I can't see him risking his own life no matter what the IOA tell him. Kinda reminds me of Barrett's character on SG-1 NID kinda but not , helps SG-1 sometimes but still reporting to the NID potential for lots of great drama.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
With Carter wanting to still guest-star it is the only thing that would make sense plot-wise. She was replaced due to the IOA not because she was an incompetent leader. This allows her character to not be slammed and opens up a whole lot of conflict plus I am reasonably sure once Woolsey realizes why the IOA put him in charge, I suspect he will rebel some and learn to make the bests decisions for Atlantis and not necessarily the IOA. After all he is stuck on Atlantis and his survival will be important to him. I can't see him risking his own life no matter what the IOA tell him. Kinda reminds me of Barrett's character on SG-1 NID kinda but not , helps SG-1 sometimes but still reporting to the NID potential for lots of great drama.

I'd really like that :)

sueKay
February 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I am quite happy about Bob joining the cast...he's a terrific actor, and like David Hewlett did with McKay, he will make Woolsey a sympathetic character :)

The_Carpenter
February 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Have to say I'm warming to the idea slowly :)

I wonder how Caldwell and Ellis will deal with Woolsey!

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM

They will slip Ronon 50 bucks to knock him out

Raven56
I think it's a great idea. The Woolsey character can be reworked (similar to McKay). He's been a foil for the SGC, Weir and Carter (much like McKay was to Carter in the SG-1 eps he first appeared in). He's been written as a bit bumbling and irritating to make the Atlantis folks look good. If they can take Rodney McKay from the unbearably arrogant a** he was in 48 Hours to the guy I saw in the first few minutes of Outcast (and even the one I saw in 38 Minutes in S1) then they can "discover" some good qualities to bring forth in Woolsey.
Agreed. I didn't watch SG:A when it first started, simply because of McKay - I hated the character so much in SG-1 that I couldn't bear the idea of watching him as a major character every week. I found out when I saw them later that my preconceptive fear was unfounded. So Woolsey gets a chance from me.

I agree. I think (from a pure storyline POV) that Woolsey would be the obvious choice. Atlantis has had 2 leaders that the IOA can't control. Now, for reasons still TBD, Carter is leaving and they have the chance to put their own person in charge.
Just the way I saw it.

Yep. He's a paper pusher - someone that belongs behind a desk ordering paperclips. While he'll have tough decisions to make, he has a senior staff (Sheppard, McKay, etc) that have the knowledge and experience to help him. He can administrate while the team goes off-world without trying to force a story that shows him using his "skills".
Exactly. I liked Elizabeth, in a 'meh' kind of way, but it seemed that her position was shoved in sometimes without a need.

And that's the beauty of it. This is TOTALLY a real world thing that would happen. He's the IOA's puppet.
YES! Most people who've been around for a while have had bosses shoved on them who seem to be nothing but politicians without ability.

BUT - this gives the writers so many avenues to take. Woolsey may have failed, but he tried to defend himself with O'Neill's P-90 in The Return. He's not a complete coward. He just lacks training. He's sat behind a desk his entire life and has rarely had to make a decision that endangered someone else's life. He has lots of room for growth, for making mistakes, for making unexpected choices.

I'm with you here. I think the fireworks between him and Sheppard alone will be worth the price of admission. However, McKay can dish it to. The mind boggles at the thickness of the sarcasm that will appear the first time Woolsey makes a decision McKay disagrees with. And the look on Ronon's face should be priceless the first time Woolsey tries to tell him to do something. S5 - thy name is conflict.
:lol: I can see it now!!!!!

Horcrux
I think is a very good choice, given that his character will grow and there will be more conflict between the main characters, also Whoolsey will start off as we know him, and slowly change and his loyalties will be in contradiction with the IOA because theyre interest may interfere with Atlantis.

If the writers do theyr job well, Woolsey can grow in the season and becaome the leader we hate and love at the same time, people can evolve and change and being the leader of Atlantis will change Woolseys point of view.

Go SGA, "Not all change is for the Worse" (Teyla Emagan)

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM

hopefully better then mckay

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM

That sounds good :)

I'd really like that :)

Yup, same here :)

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM

I can see eye-rolling from Caldwell and scorched air from Ellis.....
Not to mention a few decisional over-rides, with extreme prejudice.....

Stricken
February 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I can't believe this. A few episodes for Beckett, no mention of Weir at all, and, OMG, WOOLSEY? That wishy washy CREEP????????????????????????

OMG, I can't stomach this. *runs off to barf*

Weir is metioned in the press release, believed to be starting the arc that we got a glimpse at the end of in Be All My Sins Remembered.

Take a step back for a moment, cast change can have a postive effect on a show it opens doors to new stories, new relationships between the new character and the ones that were already there.

Personally I'm intrigued in how this all works out, which is exactly what TPTB will be hoping for because it will mean I'll tune in to the new season just to see what happens to Carter and the friction between Woolsey and the rest of the team.

The character of Woolsey has changed since we first saw him back in Heroes in season seven of SG-1, back then he took more of a hardline view on the event, but he's changed and has come to realise that the work being done by the likes of the Atlantis team is something that should be admired to a point.

Konrad9
February 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Your show?

idlewild202
My only misgiving is with Carson. Give him a few more eps, which could happen. I don't think 5 is the final number since they have not written the entire season just yet. Yup, I hope that's the case. As an avid Save Carson campaigner I feel like only giving him 5 episodes is a kick in the pants, and, almost, an insult to the character in a way.

Sheppard's team is still there, so that will be left undone. That has been the same for 4 seasons now.That is definitely something to be thankful for, with the exception of Ford the team has stayed intact and hopefully will remain so.

Pharaoh Atem
i think ellis and woolsey will get along fine. there both non sense type people who like to get to the point

Maya
It's going to be interesting - especially the reaction on Atlantis when the new commander walks through the Gate.
:samanime24:

Uber
February 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am a HUGE Robert Picardo fan....and if anyone has the chops to take a spineless bureaucrat and add layers of much needed depth, it's him.

:)

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I am a HUGE Robert Picardo fan....and if anyone has the chops to take a spineless bureaucrat and add layers of much needed depth, it's him.

I think he is going to do very well. There will be a lot more conflict with him as leader now. We did not get that this current season.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM

Well, that settles it. If Über says it's good. Then...it must be good. :)

Spinless + Layers = Great Choice. Dunno, maybe Über's right.

pisces27
February 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I was suprised they went with Woolsey, I figured it was between Caldwell and Ellis.

I do see him bringing a lot of tension and conflict to the show, especially in his dealings with Sheppard. Whether it will be a plus or minus remains to be seen. I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I hope your right, I have faith in the character and TPTB, I will give Woolsey his fair chance to show all the unbelievers that there is more to him than just what we have seen so far :)

I think he is going to do very well. There will be a lot more conflict with him as leader now. We did not get that this current season.

:indeed: Well S5 has definately become alot more interesting :D

FoolishPleasure
February 5th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Take a step back for a moment, cast change can have a postive effect on a show it opens doors to new stories, new relationships between the new character and the ones that were already there.

The problem is that SGA has had so many cast changes over the years, that its hard to get invested in someone who may not be there 6 months from now. In season 1, I loved Grodin and Bates, but they got axed for no reason. I used to think Stackhouse was a cutie, but he vanished. I loved Cadman. Look at Ford, Beckett and Weir! Half the beginning regs have been fired! That just speaks of poor planning. Then we get Carter as a reg. . .ooops, she's gone!

How can you possible care for people who keep getting jumbled around? Are the episodes REALLY better?

Now Woolsey. Oh dear. I have a headache.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
:indeed: Well S5 has definately become alot more interesting :D

definitely! it's gonna be very different to s4 but I'm really looking forward to it :)

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I was suprised they went with Woolsey, I figured it was between Caldwell and Ellis.

I do see him bringing a lot of tension and conflict to the show, especially in his dealings with Sheppard. Whether it will be a plus or minus remains to be seen. I'm trying to stay optimistic.
I'm definitely optimistic - I was rooting for Caldwell, simply because having both JF and MP in lots of episodes would have been, well, super? Ahem.

However, I think the possibilities with Woolsey are excellent.

Love your sig line - I'd say chronic for me, though :D

Ruffles
February 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM

*giggles* I sense frustration in their future.

i think ellis and woolsey will get along fine. there both non sense type people who like to get to the point

I think fur will fly. While they are both no-nonsense types, they view the world from completely different perspectives. The first time Woolsey tries to dress Ellis down like Carter did....

I saw RP in a different show, playing the bad guy, and I was floored. He was really scary. Kinda Incredible Hulk "you won't like me when I'm angry" scary.

When the writers find his voice, he could be really great.

JohnRico
February 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
You know with Johns now dead dad being rich surely John got some sweet inheritance ? His brother sure did seem jealous of John. I wonder if that would be enough to put towards the Stargate Program & give the IOA the finger

licia
February 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Sorry for mentioning L&*^s - won't do it again LOL, though I meant it in a purely rhetorical sense!

She was replaced due to the IOA not because she was an incompetent leader. This allows her character to not be slammed and opens up a whole lot of conflict plus I am reasonably sure once Woolsey realizes why the IOA put him in charge, I suspect he will rebel some and learn to make the bests decisions for Atlantis and not necessarily the IOA. After all he is stuck on Atlantis and his survival will be important to him.
Completely agree with this - its not just going to be conflict with the Atlantis members, but the IOA's objectives and how he copes with that dilemna will be very interesting. I also like how it frees up Sheppard to really be the military leader - someone like Caldwell would simply take over that role & limit Sheppard's character growth. Picardo's a great actor & I've no doubt that the writers will rise to the challenge of writing for him & evolving the character as they have for Hewlett/McKay.

Re Carson, I'll take 5 solid, quality episodes any day over the throw way lines here & there we've had, or completely illogical lack of in some eps, for Carter as a main character.

Lythisrose
February 5th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Thinking about it, Woolsey is probably more realistic as a boss than I first thought. I mean, how many of us have had bosses that we feel just don't "get" what it is like in the trenches and seem to be more interested in presenting a rosy picture to their superiors than in actually making the life of the people who do the "real" work better. IMHO, Wier and Carter are who we wish our bosses to be, Woolsey will be more like who they are. (although having been a "manager" for a while, things do look different on the other side of the fence)

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
To catch up on Richard Woolsey check out these episodes...

Stargate SG-1

Heroes: Part 2 (Season 7)
Inauguration (Season 7)
Prototype (Season 9)
The Scourge (Season 9)
Flesh and Blood (Season 10)
Morpheus (Season 10)
The Shroud (Season 10)

Stargate Atlantis

No Man's Land (Season 3)
Misbegotten (Season 3)
The Return: Part 1 (Season 3)
The Return: Part 2 (Season 3)
The Seer (Season 4)

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Well S5 has definately become alot more interesting :DNo joke there!!! I'm still not sure if it's going to be for good or bad, but I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
The problem is that SGA has had so many cast changes over the years, that its hard to get invested in someone who may not be there 6 months from now. In season 1, I loved Grodin and Bates, but they got axed for no reason. I used to think Stackhouse was a cutie, but he vanished. I loved Cadman. Look at Ford, Beckett and Weir! Half the beginning regs have been fired! That just speaks of poor planning. Then we get Carter as a reg. . .ooops, she's gone!

How can you possible care for people who keep getting jumbled around? Are the episodes REALLY better?

Unfortunately, some cast changes are based on what happens in real life to the actors. AT and Sanctuary, for one.

Grodin and Bates were secondary characters. You see them when you see them, and therefore they're good ones to go - at least TPTB don't get accused of 'redshirt murder' when they go; nope, they get castigated for removing characters that some people adore. Makes a nice change, I guess - thumbscrews instead of bastinado :D

Stackhouse? Don't even know who he was.
Cadman? Despised her from her introduction. Was glad she wasn't used often.
Ford? Meh. Boring from the beginning, to me.
Becket? Cried when he died. Grumbled heartily. :(
Weir? Meh. Sorry to those who loved her, but IMO she was the most replaceable of the regs.

And yeah, IMO, the stories are getting better and better.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM
definitely! it's gonna be very different to s4 but I'm really looking forward to it :)

Same here :D

I'm definitely optimistic - I was rooting for Caldwell, simply because having both JF and MP in lots of episodes would have been, well, super? Ahem.

Yeah I was hoping for Caldwell, I'm not at all surprised about Woolsey though...

However, I think the possibilities with Woolsey are excellent.

He definately has a good chance here to show us that there is more to him than what we have seen so far...

To catch up on Richard Woolsey check out these episodes...

Stargate SG-1

Heroes: Part 2 (Season 7)
Inauguration (Season 7)
Prototype (Season 9)
The Scourge (Season 9)
Flesh and Blood (Season 10)
Morpheus (Season 10)
The Shroud (Season 10)

Stargate Atlantis

No Man's Land (Season 3)
Misbegotten (Season 3)
The Return: Part 1 (Season 3)
The Return: Part 2 (Season 3)
The Seer (Season 4)

Thanks for the info... Even though I already knew it :D

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
No joke there!!! I'm still not sure if it's going to be for good or bad, but I guess we shall just have to wait and see.

Good Attitude, wish everyone was thinking like that! :)

Scarlett488
February 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
From a storyline POV, Woolsey as the new commander makes perfect sense. IMHO, the IOA has been waiting (hovering like vultures...) to get a man/woman on the inside of SGC. Carter leaving opened the door and here comes Woolsey. I don't believe TPTB stayed up all night trying to find a way to kill the show or tick off the fans, I think they made a very logical and well thought out storyline decision. The placement of Woolsey by the IOA is the type of bureaucratic decision that happens all the time in the real world. Kudos to the writers for having the guts to make a great, though what they knew would be an unpopular choice!

Pepermint Jaffa
February 5th, 2008, 08:59 AM
And the look on Ronon's face should be priceless the first time Woolsey tries to tell him to do something.

Not to mention the look on Woosley's face when he sees the look on Ronan's face. ;)

Ruffles
February 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM

But that's the way life is. People change jobs all the time. You've mentioned Bates, Grodin, Cadman and Stackhouse. They were secondary characters that added flavor to the show. They live in a war zone. To never lose anyone wouldn't make any sense.

Weir and Beckett are still around even if not in primary role capacity. Ford is MIA (KIA in my opinion) but again - to never lose anyone wouldn't make any sense, especially on the frontline team.

They had no choice about Carter though. AT chose to leave. Not much they can do about that but replace her.

We still have fabulous secondary characters that have been around for a long time - Zelenka, Chuck, Lorne (yea for more Lorne in S5!!). Our team is intact. Teyla has been out quite a bit in late S4, but again by the actress' choice not TPTB or the writers. I think these folks will be around for a while so hang onto them.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Yeah I do too...

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately, some cast changes are based on what happens in real life to the actors. AT and Sanctuary, for one.

Grodin and Bates were secondary characters. You see them when you see them, and therefore they're good ones to go - at least TPTB don't get accused of 'redshirt murder' when they go; nope, they get castigated for removing characters that some people adore. Makes a nice change, I guess - thumbscrews instead of bastinado :D

Stackhouse? Don't even know who he was.
Ford? Meh. Boring from the beginning, to me.
Becket? Cried when he died. Grumbled heartily. :(
Weir? Meh. Sorry to those who loved her, but IMO she was the most replaceable of the regs.

And yeah, IMO, the stories are getting better and better.

I remember Stackhouse...he just faded into dust. He was like in two eps and then MIA. I agree on Weir and most of what you said. Although I was hoping for more Cadman to tell you the truth.

Jumper_One
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I do :D

From a storyline POV, Woolsey as the new commander makes perfect sense. IMHO, the IOA has been waiting (hovering like vultures...) to get a man/woman on the inside of SGC. Carter leaving opened the door and here comes Woolsey. I don't believe TPTB stayed up all night trying to find a way to kill the show or tick off the fans, I think they made a very logical and well thought out storyline decision. The placement of Woolsey by the IOA is the type of bureaucratic decision that happens all the time in the real world. Kudos to the writers for having the guts to make a great, though what they knew would be an unpopular choice!

well said :)

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I do :D

well said :)

I concur! :)

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Well I hope with Woolsey's inception one rule comes to pass.

NO FRATERNIZING in anyway shape or form, between the SGA expedition, be it military and/or civilian with Alien life forms or each other, be them non-human, humanoid and/or human-like in certain phyical characteristics.

My Dex vs. Woolsey deathmatch has now commenced with that announcement. But now opens the doors for Shep vs. Woolsey and definitely Keller vs. Woolsey.

Emre
February 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM

=| But Cadman rocked!

Despite dying on the inside, I am inclined to agree with you.

Lady Snow
February 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I like this a lot, for various reasons which are far too obvious and numerous to go into right now.

And they've already been said.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Well I hope with Woolsey's inception one rule comes to pass.

NO FRATERNIZING in anyway shape or form, between the SGA expedition, be it military and/or civilian with Alien life forms, be them non-human, humanoid and/or human-like in certain phyical characteristics.

Talk about taking away all the fun :P

atfan
February 5th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I really don't like this idea. Woolsey is allright as a guest character who annoys the regular characters, but really, he has shown nothing in the way of leadership qualities. He's a bueracrat, who evaluates decesions made in the field from the safety of his desk. Really, what qualifies him to lead the expedition. "The Seer," showed what kind of leader he'd make.

okay I am confused Weir didn't get fired her brain is filled with nanites. Carter took over so to speak because Weir could no longer be commander given her situation. They were in the middle of a replicator war wouldn't you want a military commander in charge during a conflict? What qualifications did Weir really have either, she was a diplomat with no leadership experience when she started on Atlantis. Presumably set up as Kinsey's patsy (SG-1 Lost City Part one and two) Give him a chance characters do change want proof look at Rodney McKay. Even Carter has changed. He didn't tell the IOA everything in the Seer so that is a plus in my book also when he was with RDA he listened to him and didn't try to take over.

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I greened you! I agree with the analysis and the sentiment.

Actionhank
February 5th, 2008, 09:14 AM
One word:
Emergency Command Hologram :D

jenks
February 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
It's a good idea in my opinion, opens the season up for a hell of a lot of character development, Caldwell as leader seems boring by comparison.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
One word:
Emergency Command Hologram :D

LMAO! :D

Aerilon
February 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Personally, whilst I never saw this coming, I am actually looking forward to it.

Woolsey, whilst a guy from the IOA, to me, is considered a good guy, and it'll be nice to see how everyone reacts to his leadership. I think it'll also be an opening for his character too. We'll get to find out more about him, and he may gain a lot of respect from the Atlantis team.

Personally, I think of this as a brilliant choice by the SGA producers. Good Choice Guys. :D

Amalthea
February 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I think it's exciting. They really have been leading up to something like this for a while now. The IOA has had their fingers in all of Stargate operations for years, it was inevitable they would just bring in one of their own. I also think they've softened his character a little in the last season of Atlantis.

Robert Picardo is a very good actor, so we should have faith in the kind of character development he can bring to the character. I think it will be a very interesting season!

wheresmyfroggy
February 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Most of my points have been posted already, and I have no desire to debate with the nay-sayers, but I just wanted to weigh in here and then I'll be done with it.

I'll admit I was beginning to lean towards Caldwell, but I wasn't surprised with Woolsey seeing as how there was a short list of possibilities. I am so happy at the doors this opens up for season 5! I'm especially looking forward to seeing the team in conflict with their commander, and possibly not getting whatever they want all the time. Conflict makes for great drama, people!

I am optimistic, and Kudos to everyone else who is as well! More people should just stop complaining and wait and see what happens with things. There is such a thing as over-analyzing decisions, and if you agonize over this every second of every day until season 5 airs, you're gonna get an aneurism.

Just my two cents. Now I'll go back to enjoying season 4. :)

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
i wonder if we will see woolsey sing at all :P

Ganthet Jr.
February 5th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hmm. I'll get used to it, it's just that I wish they wouldn't have made him out to be so ridiculous earlier in the series if they were going to end up using him now. And we know that his character will get overhauled so that we don't think he's ridiculous anymore.

Bah, I'll learn to like it. I'll just trust the writers since I, for the moment, have no reason not to.

andromeda_dan
February 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Woolsey have shown some good leadership qualities, and he may well have gained the respect and endorsement of Carter since she have known him since the SGC days and have seen what he is capable/ incapable of doing, and thus far have the most insight of Woolsey, despite his bureacratic brown nosing weasel ways. Woolsey will have to work really hard to gain the respect of original SGA team, though, especially from Sheppard.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:27 AM

That would be funny, Teyla and Woolsey doing a duet :P

The_Carpenter
February 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM

Oh god I hope not.

The only person I want to see sing on any Stargate show is Rachel Luttrell :teyla:

Actionhank
Yes! A duett with Teyla: "Your are my sunshine, my only sunshine..." ^^

Pharaoh Atem

That would be funny, Teyla and Woolsey doing a duet :P

beyond the night remix :cool:

it would be nice to see a different side to woolsey

ykickamoocow
February 5th, 2008, 09:31 AM

As most of us know Robert Picardo is a very good singer so if they can find a plausible reason for why Woolsey might be signing then i wouldnt mind it one bit.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Oh god I hope not.

The only person I want to see sing on any Stargate show is Rachel Luttrell :teyla:

RL does have a beautiful voice :D

Yes! A duett with Teyla: "Your are my sunshine, my only sunshine..." ^^

LMAO!

beyond the night remix :cool:

it would be nice to see a different side to woolsey

:lol: Yeah it would... As long as the scene where he is singing isn't Woolsey in the shower :S :P

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
As most of us know Robert Picardo is a very good singer so if they can find a plausible reason for why Woolsey might be signing then i wouldnt mind it one bit.

I wouldn't mind it either... We've had Teyla, now for some Woolsey :P

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
beyond the night remix :cool:YES! That would rock! :D

atfan
February 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Yup, I hope that's the case. As an avid Save Carson campaigner I feel like only giving him 5 episodes is a kick in the pants, and, almost, an insult to the character in a way.

That is definitely something to be thankful for, with the exception of Ford the team has stayed intact and hopefully will remain so.

I just can't understand why you would be upset. The campaign was so Beckett could be back on and they are putting him back on. He died obviously he can't just go back to being the regular doctor. At least you got him back for several episodes and who knows about season six? When Janet died on SG-1 there was no re-appearing ascension or anything just gone never to return consider yourself lucky in many respects.

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Yup, I hope that's the case. As an avid Save Carson campaigner I feel like only giving him 5 episodes is a kick in the pants, and, almost, an insult to the character in a way.

better then getting the ford treatment .. never to be seen again

johnliz4ever
February 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Dear God what were they thinking? Like the actor but the character is a scared little idiot. He won't last five minutes against Replicators and The Wraith. Look at all the moaning he did in 'The Return'
I'm glad I stopped watching after season 3.

:weiranime22:

Heaven
February 5th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I'm so not watching season 5.

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I just can't understand why you would be upset. The campaign was so Beckett could be back on and they are putting him back on. He died obviously he can't just go back to being the regular doctor. At least you got him back for several episodes and who knows about season six? When Janet died on SG-1 there was no re-appearing ascension or anything just gone never to return consider yourself lucky in many respects.Oh, don't get me wrong, I am absolutely thrilled that he is back!! The campaign has been amazing, no other save such and such fan campaign has been so successful. We were all really hoping for more episodes for him. I'll take 5 eps, it's a heck of a lot better than nothing and I am thankful for that.

I figure it's baby steps along the path to getting him back as CMO of Atlantis, but still, I was hoping for more this season, so it's a bit of a disappointment to me in some ways, but at the same time it's amazing news :)

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 09:44 AM

just because of woolsey??

Actionhank
February 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Well, at least being a music fan would fit to the character although I guess not a fan of arbitrary music though. Rocknroll or techno - I seriously doubt it. ^^

I would stick to classical music - but then you might get the impression of copying star trek. I would love it if they would all make music.

Rodney on - Yes you guessed it - keyboard
Ronon on the slide guitar
Sheppard lead guitar
Teyla vocals and percussion
Woolsey vocals and percussion

we still need a bassist - maybe a job for Lorne though
...and drums - well what better instrument for Todd? :p Just like animal from the muppets. ^^

Keller - well, she could ... uh ... stand in the background and look good - maybe together with Carter the background singer girls. You know "shoop shoop" and all that jazz.

Edit:
First song to enter the charts: The wraith (they are a very bad race) radio exit
from the stargate musical. :)

ColCaldwell
February 5th, 2008, 09:46 AM
What the hell? You've got to be kidding me! I love Robert Picardo, but Woolsey?!!??! Do the writers not care about the show anymore?!

ykickamoocow
February 5th, 2008, 09:47 AM
We could have a Atlantis band with Woolsey and Teyla singing and McKay playing the Piano. I wonder if Sheppard and Ronan can play any instruments? :)

Fenrir Foxz

How come?

Yeah, is it Woolsey, or something else with the show?

Pharaoh Atem
We could have a Atlantis band with Woolsey and Teyla singing and McKay playing the Piano. I wonder if Sheppard and Ronan can play any instruments? :)

Ronon//..... drums

idlewild202
February 5th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Well, at least being a music fan would fit to the character although I guess not a fan of arbitrary music though. Rocknroll or techno - I seriously doubt it. ^^

I would stick to classical music - but then you might get the impression of copying star trek. I would love it if they would all make music.

Rodney on - Yes you guessed it - keyboard
Ronon on the slide guitar
Sheppard lead guitar
Teyla vocals and percussion
Woolsey vocals and percussion

we still need a bassist - maybe a job for Lorne though
...and drums - well what better instrument for Todd? :p Just like animal from the muppets. ^^

Keller - well, she could ... uh ... stand in the background and look good - maybe together with Carter the background singer girls. You know "shoop shoop" and all that jazz.

Edit:
First song to enter the charts: The wraith (they are a very bad race) radio exit
from the stargate musical. :):lol:

That's awesome, you get green for that!!

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM

The actor Jason M/Ronon can play guitar... JF/Shep is learning to play it...

Ronon//..... drums

LoL... Heavy metal style :P

kymeric
I like it, Picardos cool. And to be fair a good leader is a beurocrat. It will bring some tension to the show, remember Carter was his CO, she could have just told him to STFU and do it if she wanted. Literally she coulda had him in chains for disagreeing with him. Weir wouldnt have fired him, she was an enemy of the IOA. But woolsey is literally THE MAN and their boss and would sack em all if he had too. But he has proven himself to be honorable, even slighty protective of Atlantis and its personelle. Remember Valas graphic sexual innuendo accusation, ROFL.

I hope he keeps wearing a suit ^.^

They had a military leader the yr atlantis was really at war (asurans) now theyre hidden from the wraith so a noncom is ok by me.

And for the Anti's: if hes just the boss in the office waving goodbye as AR1 as they go on missions... whats to hate? Everyone has a boss. And almost everyone h8z their boss.

On the plus side this sure got ppl talking again ^.^
SLAP IN THE FACE SLAP IN THE FACE, epic lulz or OMGIHATETHISHSHOWBUTSTILLWATCH, lol whens the dvdz out so i kan buy?

Heaven
I didn't enjoy season 4 much, top that with adding one of my least favorite characters in the entire franchise as regular.

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
i'm sure he will be wearing a Atlantis uniform instead of a suit and tie.

that alone will be a nice change :daniel:

ToasterOnFire
February 5th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I didn't enjoy season 4 much, top that with adding one of my least favorite characters in the entire franchise as regular.
Ditto. :mckay:

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Oh ok then... not everyone liked the new turn in S4, I did though :) and I have faith in S5 and Woolsey ;)

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
i'm sure he will be wearing a Atlantis uniform instead of a suit and tie.

that alone will be a nice change :daniel:

That'll be something worth seeing :D

ciannwn
February 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I think it could turn out to be interesting. Woolsey is a bureaucrat who knows that situations can look very different depending on whether one is in the field or sitting behind a desk on Earth. He's also become skilled at writing reports which make all kinds of things seem acceptable back home. What kind of reports is he going to write as Expedition Leader? How will he deal with the person who takes over his job when he/she turns up every three months to make an assessment?

When I asked my husband to guess who is taking over from Carter he immediately said "Woolsey" and he's now very pleased by the choice of replacement.

Actionhank
February 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
In the interviews on SciFi it is said that they both play guitar. Not for long but it's gonna be playback anyway. ^^

Could imagine Ronon and Sheppard dig into Ben Harper and Jack Johnson - style also. ^^

But that's another story. I think Woolsey will open the door to super episodes - like a guy said before - conflict makes for great drama. I totally agree on that.

Chailyn
February 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Oh god, I just heard. I am not happy; I was hoping for Caldwell. I see this going two ways. One, he's used the way he is now for comic relief and as a weak foil to the team. Or two, he grows from a one dimentional character into someone more substantial, learning what it means to be a "true" leader and resident of Atlantis. Basically, the Doctor all over again, discovering the importance of his humanity instead of facts, figures, and IOA reports.

This decision has me worried. I really like Robert and think he's an amazing actor, but because of his talent he has a way of stealing scenes (see Voyager), so I hope the other characers won't be overshadowed as he "grows" (again see Voyager). They're going to have to devote a lot of time to his emotional growth like McKay or he's going to stay the laughstock he currently portrays. I don't like either option. Oh well, I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll just tune out. SGA is currently on the fence with me anyway. :(

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
What the hell? You've got to be kidding me! I love Robert Picardo, but Woolsey?!!??! Do the writers not care about the show anymore?!

Yup, the producers and the network got into a meeting room together and said, how can we screw the fans? So they said let's sink Atlantis, and fail miserably and lose money and viewers.

Lilli
February 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
When I read Woolsey would be the new commander- I cannot tell you how my heart sank! That was VERY disappointing news :(

I have never liked his character. But then again I didn't like Rodney first few times I saw him either. And now Atlantis wouldn't be the same without him ;)

However, I'm going to give the change in CO a chance but to be perfectly honest I'm about fed-up with cast-changes on Atlantis. It's getting REALLY old :S

Pharaoh Atem
February 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Yup, the producers and the network got into a meeting room together and said, how can we F*** the fans and Atlantis, and fail miserably and lose money and viewers.

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Oh ok then... not everyone liked the new turn in S4, I did though :) and I have faith in S5 and Woolsey ;)

You and me both. I just finished watching all 3 1/2 seasons on dvd and my dvr, and I can say that this season has had more episodes that I really really liked than any of the others. All have been good, but IMO this season has been superior.

On the other side, I can understand that those who live for all episodes being closely tied to a 'season arc' might be disappointed. Me, "not so much". ;)

Most shows I've enjoyed over the years haven't been the 'serialized' type. We used to refer to them as 'primetime soap operas' :D, and I disliked them simply because the stories were so long and drawn out. I've gotten used to it over the years, but I still like the self-contained episodes.

And I'm looking forward to the fireworks in S5!

Actionhank
February 5th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Yup, the producers and the network got into a meeting room together and said, how can we screw the fans? So they said let's sink Atlantis, and fail miserably and lose money and viewers.
That's how they work all the time. Until now they often failed utterly. ;)

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM

:lol: :lol:

IE DITTO..... :D

aboleyn24
February 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I have no problem with this choice. It was actually the first one that came to my mind, but then when there was a lot of speculation about Cauldwell I jumped on that bandwagon because of my love for MP.

I think each season of this show improves upon the previous one. My love of season four knows no bounds. I am really looking forward to season five.

I also have not had a single problem with any of the cast changes. I was unsure of Carter because I couldn't see how she would fit, but kept an open mind. I found myself liking her more than Weir which surprised me. I also know that people were upset when they heard about the character of Ronon. I think his introduction was brilliant. I found Ford to be a bit dull until he became Super Ford.

I don't think that we are going to see Woosley play the significant part that Weir did. I don't think he will get nearly as much screen time as Carter. I think they are going to go in the direction originally planned and have him there more like Hammond. We get to see the go ahead and a few other scenes, but I can not imagine that we are going to see Woosley as a major player. Maybe that seems odd since he will be in charge, but really for me I prefer to see the focus on the fab four and shifted off of the administrator.

I look forward to see how they are going to creatively switch leaders. I loved the story they came up with to explain Weir's loss. It opened to door to a great story arc. I have faith that they will do an equally great job here and continue to provide me the the exceptional entertainment that they have for the past four seasons.

Because thats what it is .... Entertainment. Its supposed to be fun.

Heaven
February 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM
btw how long before they put a Woolsey in atlantis Yay/Nay poll

would be interesting to see the results

gange57
February 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I thought everybody knew that. ;)

Willow'sCat
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Personally I like the guy. :D I think Atlantis needs some guidance, I think Woolsey might be the guy with the plan.

Well there you go, I thought tptb would go all cliched and have military macho man Caldwell but instead they go for what the leader should be an Admin guy, I assume Sheppard will have to be more mature now, step up and lead for a change, not follow like a puppy dog as I assume even Woosley will recognise he can't make military decisions without some guidance... although Weir seemed to think she could. :cool::rolleyes:

Also this could mean some conflict early on although I doubt it as tptb seem to not want to go there anymore. :(

Anyway too early here... I am going to have some coffee. :P

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM

LMAO!!! :D:D:D :lol:

OMG!

Do I sense sarcasm? :P

cabouse18
February 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Well DUH!!! :lol:

Amalthea
Ok, bringing in Woolsey is NOT something the writers/producers would do without thinking about it. They are well aware that he has been a constant thorn in the side of the "good guys" for years now, and therefore he is not the most popular man in the Stargate Universe. They wrote the man for cryin' out loud! Therefore, they must have done a lot of planning and analysis before they made this decision. The character is obviously going to evolve. I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the producers for their actions and doom the whole franchise. Give them the benefit of the doubt! Wait and see where the plot takes us first.

Fenrir Foxz
btw how long before they put a Woolsey in atlantis Yay/Nay poll

would be interesting to see the results

Good idea... start a thread and ask the Mods to make it a poll ;)

Heaven
February 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I thought they did that in season 3 :p

ditto on the other stuff

Ganthet Jr.
February 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I trust the writers... I just hope that every episode isn't an Atlantis Expedition vs. IOA story. Those are fine every once in a while, but the threat should generally be Atlantis' enemies, not the IOA.

I just hope they do this well! I'm cautiously optimistic.

kymeric
February 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Hmm. I'll get used to it, it's just that I wish they wouldn't have made him out to be so ridiculous earlier in the series if they were going to end up using him now. And we know that his character will get overhauled so that we don't think he's ridiculous anymore.

Bah, I'll learn to like it. I'll just trust the writers since I, for the moment, have no reason not to.

.........Mckay

Lieutenant Colonel Davis
February 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I'm happy. (Big fan of Star Trek here)

GoSpikey
February 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM

WTF? I HATE him!

OMFG.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I'm happy. (Big fan of Star Trek here)

Yeah I had a feeling this revelation would go down well with ST fans, especially those that enjoyed RP's character from Voyager :)

WTF? I HATE him!

OMFG.

There are alot of mixed feelings on this, I have faith that Woolsey will work out in Atlantis :) Even though the character has been a pain (amongst other things that could be said) in the past...

Suzotchka
February 5th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I can't picture Shep having to take orders from Woolsey.

Woolsey = bad choice

I think TPTB are trying to pull in Star Trek fans now. :P

jenks
February 5th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Woolsey = bad choice

Care to elaborate?

FoolishPleasure
February 5th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Woolsey = bad choice

Except the Trek shows have been off the air for years, and any Trek/SciFi fans would already be aware of SG1/SGA (like my family).

Besides, The Doctor (Voyager) was a great character, but Woolsey has always been just a teeny recurring character stuck in for comic relief, or to show how stupid administators are in the Stargate universe.

Fenrir Foxz
February 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Woolsey = bad choice

LoL... That wouldn't surprise me...

I know what you mean about Shep taking orders from Woolsey but I think the conflicting feelings between them *mainly Shep towards Woolsey* will get dealt with early on S5... And I have a feeling Woolsey will just be like Sam in S4 (more or less)...

jckfan55
February 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Oh god, I just heard. I am not happy; I was hoping for Caldwell. I see this going two ways. One, he's used the way he is now for comic relief and as a weak foil to the team. Or two, he grows from a one dimentional character into someone more substantial, learning what it means to be a "true" leader and resident of Atlantis. Basically, the Doctor all over again, discovering the importance of his humanity instead of facts, figures, and IOA reports.

This decision has me worried. I really like Robert and think he's an amazing actor, but because of his talent he has a way of stealing scenes (see Voyager), so I hope the other characers won't be overshadowed as he "grows" (again see Voyager). They're going to have to devote a lot of time to his emotional growth like McKay or he's going to stay the laughstock he currently portrays. I don't like either option. Oh well, I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll just tune out. SGA is currently on the fence with me anyway. :(

I don't see it working well for all the reasons you mention. I'll cross my fingers, but I think I'll go back to being a very casual viewer of Atlantis.

ykickamoocow
February 5th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I see Woolsey following the McKay model. In his first episode on Stargate SG1 he was a character who you were suppose to hate (like McKay) and in the 2nd episode he appeared in you like him abit more (same with McKay).

I think since the first few episodes Woolsey has become quite likable and deep down always wants to do the right thing even though the audience will not always agree with him on what the right thing is.

Raven56
February 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
But... But.... But.... Weren't there a lot of posts a while back about how there wasn't enough conflict between characters, and Sheppard and Carter just got along too well? :D ;)

At the beginning of the show, I would have been really unhappy to see Woolsey in this part, but I think he's grown a lot since then. So, fingers crossed, I'm optimistic about this decision.

RedGuard
February 5th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I can't get my mind focused on seeing the future of Atlantis with Woolsey in charge. I've already started having trouble watching Atlantis since the second half of the season started and now knowing that a pencil pusher will be in command, just doesn't peak my interest. I'm glad Carter will be leaving because she doesn't belong and now they are bringing in another character to replace her that is an even poorer choice.

Atlantis will have a lot to prove, because right now, my hope for the shows survival is diminishing.

vaberella
February 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
There are people already saying they won't watch S5? Oh, come on!!!**

**The above was a rhetorical statement...typed.

Woolsey's in and I'm not upset except I'd prefer a woman. Meh...win some, you lose some. At least the various deathmatches will be fun to watch.

jelgate
February 5th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Was Woosley my first choice for commandar, hell no. I can however, see why they choose him as the new leader. It would make sense that the IOA would appoint him as leader and it would cause tension between Sheppard and his team.

kymeric
February 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
There are people already saying they won't watch S5? Oh, come on!!!**

**The above was a rhetorical statement...typed.

Woolsey's in and I'm not upset except I'd prefer a woman. Meh...win some, you lose some. At least the various deathmatches will be fun to watch.

Its like this every year. Buncha dramafish <drama><

ciannwn
February 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
now knowing that a pencil pusher will be in command, just doesn't peak my interest. I'm glad Carter will be leaving because she doesn't belong and now they are bringing in another character to replace her that is an even poorer choice.

Any character brought in as expedition leader would have to spend most of his/her time pushing pencils. Hammond and Landry didn't go on offworld missions because their job was to run SGC. I miss Carter being an action adventure scientist but I had to accept that she couldn't run keep running around Pegasus looking for Ancient technology and getting into fights with 'bad guys'.

Scarlett488
February 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I greened you! I agree with the analysis and the sentiment.

Very cool, thanks!

Briangate78
February 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I think Woolsey when tested could snap back and be a leader. He tried to take over Carter's command in "The Seer". So that showed some guts. He also went to president with info on Kinsey who was the Vice President. That there is very brave. He was firing shots and helping O'neill try and defend Atlantis from the replicators, so he is not hopeless. I think Woolsey will surprise a lot of people.

Amalthea
February 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder if we're going to get some statements/interviews with Picardo in the near future?