Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone think we should stop asking for stuff?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone think we should stop asking for stuff?

I mean not to be nasty or anything but 9/10 times the fans haven't the slightest idea what they want.

Yeah sure we think we do but come on, how many times has a show tried to do what the fans wanted and then fallen on its ass?

Heroes, Battlestar Galactica's last season, parts of SG-1 and Atlantis. I mean 200 omg, they thought we wanted fun and look what we got!

So I say we sit back and just let the writers do their thing. Stop demanding, stop requesting. Because what they provide is better then anything we could think up.

What?! STOP ASKING FOR STUFF? BLASPHEMY!!!!

Comment

The only thing I would have asked of the writers is that they keep delivering the fantastic episodes, story arcs and character development that they have been doing...

So basically rather than ask stuff of TPTB, I would be thanking them for the fantastic show that I really enjoy

Comment

Stop asking won't work! We need to ask, they don't have to do it, but still, we can ask... and if things like Micheals/Torri's/Gillion's/Franck's "abscence" "happen", we absolutely HAVE TO protest! Why else would we watch the show, if we wouldn't be upset with such decisions??
        SGU: Their Only Mission is Survival

Indeed.
        Who knew that this was to take literally!

Forever my team:

Comment

I don't think it matters how much people ask. They will do what they want to do no matter what. Fans don't influence their decisions one way or another and they have said as much.

And before anyone says that SCB changed anything, remember that the Poem which mentions Carson's return was penned long before the "deal" was made.
          : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
          : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
            What?! STOP ASKING FOR STUFF? BLASPHEMY!!!!
            Hell yes! It most certainly would be!

If you don't ask nicely, you stand little chance of getting!

Most likely TPTB ignore most requests, and obviously only do what fans ask if it suits the direction they want to go in, but I've certainly seen a few nods to fans wishes being included in the show.

I'd like to think some things my friends and I hoped for out loud for this season have happened because we asked and asked and asked and pleaded out loud for certain things to happen...

Certainly, JM has said that, spoilers for Midway,
            Spoiler:
            the Ronon/Teal'c fight is happening because he saw fans would like that.

So, I think it's great some fans put in requests for things. Doesn't mean TPTB will say yes or do those things, but sometimes they do. Does that make the show bad? Not in my opinion. I think it's great.

However, I don't think for a minute TPTB change any plans or arcs to please fans. They go ahead with the vision THEY have for the show.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
              I mean not to be nasty or anything but 9/10 times the fans haven't the slightest idea what they want.

Yeah sure we think we do but come on, how many times has a show tried to do what the fans wanted and then fallen on its ass?

Heroes, Battlestar Galactica's last season, parts of SG-1 and Atlantis. I mean 200 omg, they thought we wanted fun and look what we got!

So I say we sit back and just let the writers do their thing. Stop demanding, stop requesting. Because what they provide is better then anything we could think up.
              Heck no! Don't you understand?! The fans know faaaaaaaar better than TPTB what's right for the show and hey, it's OUR show, not theirs! [/sarcasm]
              sigpic

Comment

I agree, except for your disdain for 200. I thought it rocked! Oh, and I have no idea what's been done on Heroes or BSG. One I got behind on and will catch up via DVD, the other I don't care about.

Originally posted by Siba View Post
                Stop asking won't work! We need to ask, they don't have to do it, but still, we can ask... and if things like Micheals/Torri's/Gillion's/Franck's "abscence" "happen", we absolutely HAVE TO protest! Why else would we watch the show, if we wouldn't be upset with such decisions??
                We "HAVE TO protest?" Why?

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I think ASKING for it is one thing

DEMANDING and tossing a hissy fit if you don't get your way is another.

I see nothing wrong with 'oh, wouldn't this be cool?' or 'man, this would be great'...but the whole 'they didn't do it because they don't like us and are deliberately picking on us' stuff is....taking things a wee bit personal.

You, the general you, are nothing to them. Heck, even if every single person on this forum watched (and were in the US to count) we couldn't even bring up the ratings a fraction of a point.

They don't do it to cater to US as a singular, but 'the viewers' in general...and for every one of us that's here, there's a 100 that doesn't play online.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

annnnddd...putting the mod hat on. Let's keep things general here. CAuse as soon as we start with 'yeah, and this group.....' things will get nasty and icky and this thread will end up closed.

So let's keep it on the GENERAL topic of 'should fans stop asking for stuff' and not start bagging on any group

sigpic

Comment

No need to stop asking for stuff because I'm sure 99.9999% of it goes over their head, no matter how insistent or vocal fans are!

I'm sure they take on little bits. Such as were planning to bring Teal'c in for an ep. Ronon would be there. JM has been asked who would win in a fight between them, so idea is born & put into said ep.

People have been asking for Ford for years. Others Jackson & even Mitchell & Vala but nothing yet.

Fans were pestering JM's blog months ago about Shep using stick fighting in an ep for real. He pretty much mocked them in his sarcastic responses because he was probably fed up with repeated requests regarding something he saw as trivial at best!

Fans have been wanting energy weapons for years, but nothing until recently etc, etc.

Little bits I'm sure may be taken into account, but the largest majority are ignored no matter what!

It's been stated before, they make the show they want to see!

Comment

I think you are going on a false premise here. Do you read fan fiction? I've read stories of all sorts that are vastly better than anything I've seen on screen. Some of them go into more depth, have better character development and are more exciting than most of the writing coming out of Bridge. And yes, I've heard the argument that fans don't have to work within a budget, satisfy the suits at the network or deal with any of the daily machinations that go on within a studio. All of this can be overcome with careful adjustment of the elements of an idea.

We protest because we love the show and want it, in our eyes, to be better. Unfortunately, everyone has a different idea of what better is. It never hurts to ask unless you are doing it in the wrong way. Personally I think lately some people have done just that and have perhaps ruined their chances of getting what they want.

As for not knowing what we want, I totally disagree with that. I know what I want. It could work and the show IMHO would be better for it. It's just that they don't seem capable of writing anything more than formula SciFi. As a result, I just don't care what they do anymore. I plan to enjoy the parts I like and tolerate the rest.

I do agree that nothing we do makes a difference. The aggravating thing is that certain PTB dismiss fans who protest maybe a bit too strongly with such disdain. Not classy.

Were the fans responsible for that debacle that was the last season of Heroes? Mercy. And didn't they say Sunday was in response to some of the things fans wanted to see? Maybe we should keep quiet.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I agree and disagree with the statement. I think the fans know what they want, when speaking individually. I just don't think there is a solidarity within the fans in what they want.

If you look at each group they can all be grouped into small factions and divided into two main sex groups. Male versus Female. We have the initial group. From there it's sub divided into different mini groups. Those who are fangirls/boys or just casual viewers. In the fangirls/boys such as ourselves, and there's really no point in denying it, we're classed into a multitude of groups....shippers, non shippers, then from there which ship group or if they're thunkers or not and then you have a few people who are in a multitude of groups who make up an even smaller minority.

In the end each of these groups have agendas and ideas on what they want and what they would like the the show to focus on or show case. Some people like Shep more, so they demand more of Shep or just want the mystery of Shep solved. You have those who think Shep is too much in their face and wants him down played and these people could be Shep shippers (irrespective of shipping mate) who are female and/or male and as such would demand another perspective.

In the end the lack of solidarity and the promotion of respective agendas results in a confusion as to what is the the "true voice" of the fandom. With that in mind here comes in the problem for the producers and writers. It's fruitless of us in general to make demands and make claims to what some demographics say since each group is in essence a minority in the stream of millions upon millions who watch SGA. The writers have to go with their gut and make a decision.

This is not say that I think that fandom should keep their mouth shut, since I do feel the voice of the fans should be heard and we should show them that we're interested an we're watching for 'faux pas' and we have a vested interest in the shows continuation and success. That being said, I do think, however, that we should keep certain things in perspective when there's a sense of being slighted since fandom is so diverse and wide spread. Fandom is definitely more relative than absolute.

As for demands, I'm not a fan of those...but I guess people get a bit frustrated or angry so I can't fault them. I just think those people suffer from "entitlement issues" and need to move on. Disliking something sure, preferring something sure, but demands...please!!
                          Click statement above to read article.

Comment

there is no 'one voice of the fandom' and there never will be.

It's impossible for a group, even as relatively small' as this one to speak wtih one voice.

can you fine one single thing that all of us could agree on????

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              there is no 'one voice of the fandom' and there never will be.

It's impossible for a group, even as relatively small' as this one to speak wtih one voice.

can you fine one single thing that all of us could agree on????
                              Uh...that was the point of my post.

Nor, would I expect there to be one. There never is for any show that I know of.

Plus fandom, as I mentioned is far too small a group in the widespread watchers to make a clear distinction of what people want to see versus what they don't want to see.
                              Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Working...
                              X