X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hull Retg

Quote from StarGate Atlantis BAMSR.

'Transferring power from non critical systems to Hull Regeneration'

What systems and non critical i.e Wraith Power Showers and what the Hell does Hull Regeneration do being that a Hive is Organic?

ps-can someone edit the 'Hull Retg' to 'Hull Regeneration' i pressed enter by mistake

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Wraith ships are organic in design, and it has been mentioned several times that they can regenerate. Maybe if you shoot a (small) bit off a Wraith ship it is able to grow itself back. I think hives use their regenerative abilities to recover from the radiation of hyperspace. This suggests that the ships are actually living, and that radiation damages them.
    sigpic

Comment

the wraith do use organic technology. What we don't know is how advanced is it and what it takes to maintain that organic technology. The organic material may require a specific type of power to feed off of. By increasing that power they may be able to stimulate regeneration of the skin/hull.

how it works is all guesses beyond that.

Comment

Since the Wraith ships are partly organic then those organic parts should be able to heal damage to themselves (whether that be from weapons fire or from the damaging effects of hyperspace radiation) however just like in an organism, that requires energy. Organisms would get that from the food they have eaten but a ship can't eat so they must have developed a way to provide power to the organic components from the inorganic power generators which is also used to power everything else.
        Nu ani Anquietas :: We are the Ancients, well some of us

Comment

Do we know how much of the wraith ships are organic? If they are 90% organic then it would make sense that they would be able to grow it instead of fixing it in the same way as a normal ship. It's not like you can put to incompatible materials together and by doing this they are growing it back to it's full strength. Perhaps by non critical systems they mean everything except weapons, life support and engines.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            Do we know how much of the wraith ships are organic? If they are 90% organic then it would make sense that they would be able to grow it instead of fixing it in the same way as a normal ship. It's not like you can put to incompatible materials together and by doing this they are growing it back to it's full strength. Perhaps by non critical systems they mean everything except weapons, life support and engines.

I believe the frame and all systems are inorganic. After the frame is made the the hull, walls, rooms and such are grown around it.

Also what protects the people inside of any ship from the radiation?

Comment

There are obvious parts of the structure which are inorganic.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Superglue works well to close deep cuts in tissues. We currently have organic stitches that dissolve over time so that they don't have to be removed. Platelets in your blood seal cuts in your hull(skin). Certain reptiles can regrow things like tails and legs. If you are an arbitrarily advanced race who depended on organic vessels you would have a method for at least rapidly repairing hull breaches from the inside. How that actually works depends on how the hull is made.

Comment

^^ Now I can't stop thinking of hive ships covered in scales lol. But true.
                  Best quotes ever:
                  O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
                  Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
                  Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
                  O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

why scales?

Comment

Reptiles and the regrowing of limbs, it also reminds me of the old spiderman cartoons, damn these cues and neural networks.
                      Best quotes ever:

Comment

Honestly it makes sense. I wonder if Hive ships grow through their lifetimes? Cruisers are teenage hives and they shed their skin every so many centuries? It would explian why we have several different lengths for them

Comment

feed something a huge amount of energy in stargate and it will grow bigger

like in unatural selection when sg-1 wanted to blow up the prometheus to destroy the replicators, fifth said it will only feed them more energy to grow

must be the same as giving energy to the wraith organic regenaration thing
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                            feed something a huge amount of energy in stargate and it will grow bigger

like in unatural selection when sg-1 wanted to blow up the prometheus to destroy the replicators, fifth said it will only feed them more energy to grow

must be the same as giving energy to the wraith organic regenaration thing
                            but te replicators wer inorganic.

Comment

Originally posted by VSHARMA
                              and what the Hell does Hull Regeneration do being that a Hive is Organic?
                              regeneration makes all the more sense than the structures are organic
                              organic stuff grows, so logically it should be able to regenerate (ie. regrow)

the same way your hair & nails regenerate, and non-vertebrates such as cephalopods can regrow lost limbs, starfish can regenerate *almost* their entire selves, and hydra have reached the apex of regenerative capability (being biologically immortal)

Comment

Working...
                              X