• Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened in Sheppard’s life? - Speculation

What happened in Sheppard’s life? - Speculation

Just a list of questions to start.

What was Sheppard like as a teenager?
    When did he lose his mother?

What was Sheppard’s father’s plan for his life?
    How did Sheppard rebel against his father?

What caused Sheppard’s break with his father?
    Did his father tell him not to come back, disown him?
    Did he disinherit him at the time?
    When did his father start to regret what happened?
    Was Sheppard in the will?

Where did Sheppard go to college?
    What did he study in college?
    Did his father pay for college or did he work his way through?

How/when did Sheppard decide to go into the Air Force?
    How/when did he get involved in top-secret missions?
    What special training did he have?
    What type of missions require frequent phone calls in the middle of the night?
    How much did his father and brother know about what he did?

What was Sheppard doing in Afghanistan?
    Where else had he been stationed?

Where and when did he meet his ex-wife?
    How long were they married?
    How long ago were they divorced?
    What were the causes of their divorce?
    How often has he seen/been in contact with his ex-wife since the divorce?

More questions?
    sigpic

Didn't he say he went to stanford. Well he didn't actually say it but he did say that his dad thought he was rebelling by going to stanford instead of harvard. Maybe he was just using it as an example to show what kind of person his dad was.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
      Didn't he say he went to stanford. Well he didn't actually say it but he did say that his dad thought he was rebelling by going to stanford instead of harvard. Maybe he was just using it as an example to show what kind of person his dad was.
      Seems likely that he did go to Stanford. Something had to bring it to mind?

SHEPPARD: My dad's idea of teenage rebellion was going to Stanford instead of Harvard.
      (He smiles at Ronon, who frowns back, uncomprehending.)
      SHEPPARD: Never mind. He just – he had everything planned out for me since I was about fourteen.

So…
      Did Sheppard rebel by going to Stanford?
      Did he get into Harvard?

Did brother Dave go to Harvard?
      Or was Sheppard the brother with the brains and potential?
      Did Sheppard’s father go to Harvard?

Who made the money in the family?
      How far back does the money go? Old money?

The newspaper reads: "Utilities Mogul Patrick Sheppard dies at 69."
      Are utilities the only thing the Sheppard family is involved in?
      Is the money and power a setup for a possible future episode.
      Will we ever hear anymore about the family or the money?

Questions, Questions.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
        Or was Sheppard the brother with the brains and potential?
        Well, we know Sheppard passed the MENSA test, so I'd say he had both ... doesn't necessarily mean his brother didn't though.
        What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping meat fresh.
        --Ninth Doctor

Comment

you know from what we found out in that ep it makes perfect sense for sheps character and how he has that tendency to shun authority even in the military.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

It was great that this episode showed us more about Sheppard's past. But, of course, it left us with a lot of new questions.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              you know from what we found out in that ep it makes perfect sense for sheps character and how he has that tendency to shun authority even in the military.
              I totally agree with that.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Indeed.

This episode really showed me that, even though we haven't been told of Shep's backstory beforehand, all of his various choices, decisions, and actions in the past 3.5 seasons really came together to create a consistent, and deep character. This episode basically took all of that, and tied it together perfectly, with the root of why he is the man he is.

Fabulous episode. Loved it.

Comment

The SGA book, Blood Ties, by Sonny Whitelaw and Elizabeth Christensen, takes place mostly on Earth, during S3, following Carson’s death.

There is a character, FBI psychologist Dr. Rebecca Larance, who had met Sheppard some four years before. In her own words (page 67):

“ One of my duties is vetting personnel for winter postings at McMurdo. Not everyone is psychologically suited for an Antarctic tour, and the last thing anyone needs is a person with pathological tendencies stuck in an enclosed area with limited outlets for aggression. There’s a very rigorous screening process. Colonel Sheppard passed my gauntlet some years ago.”

I think this original meeting happened in the Washington area, though I wasn’t able to find the reference.

In Outcast Nancy says, “: I haven't seen you in over four years and now you want me to put my job on the line and you won't even tell me why?”

So, that possibly puts Sheppard and Nancy in the same area at the same time.
                  It would make sense that that was the last time they saw each other.

Would that have been divorce talk or just catching up?

Sheppard seemed so uncomfortable around her that I have to wonder if he would have called her to get a cup of coffee or lunch while he was in Washington if he didn’t need to. On the other hand, it was his father’s wake, he didn’t expect to see her, and he looked very uncomfortable even before he saw her.

I tend to think the divorce took place a lot longer than “over four years” ago.
                  He is not likely to have had any contact with her at all in over the last three years. He could have seen her between Antarctica and Atlantis, but it seems unlikely. He did, sort of , know her husband’s name, so he has, at least, spoken to/corresponded with her after the divorce. (Not buying that Grant was the reason for the divorce.)

Boy, that was a ramble for a small speculation,
                  sigpic

Comment

Rememeber the SGA books are not canon, only what is stated or seen on screen is.

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
                      Rememeber the SGA books are not canon, only what is stated or seen on screen is.
                      Indeed. In fact events have happened in the books which now contradict canon in certain instances.

Now, according to Outcast, Shep hadn't seen Nancy in over four years, and yet Shep knew all about Greg Grant. Thus I believe Shep and Nancy had divorced some time before that, years before, I expect. The fact that Shep didn't exactly remember Grant's name suggests he hadn't been in close contact with Nancy in a very long time. I don't think they were on good terms really. - I'm not saying there was animosity or anything, just regret and obviously serious issues, or they wouldn't have divorced. But like any former lover, it rare to keep in close contact. Too much water under the bridge and all. However, neither Sheppard or Nancy's emotions seemed raw. It's as if a lot of time has passed and as time passes so do feelings of hurt and regret etc...

I believe their relationship was obviously distant as they'd both moved on, not without some regret I'd guess, certainly on Nancy's part. She obviously still has a soft spot for Sheppard. And who wouldn't?

It's interesting that Shep's career seems to have been part of the reason for the marriage break up. Also VERY interesting to know Sheppard WAS involved in some very secret, presumably special ops, missions. I think many had surmised that, but it's good to have that mentioned on screen.

I still would like to know why Sheppard and his father and brother fell out so badly. Was Shep's marriage breakdown the straw that broke the camel's back? Or was Afghanistan involved too? Maybe it was a combination of many factors?

On another note, I really hope Sheppard senior didn't cut Shep out from his will. I know Shep wasn't interested in the money, but I think a parent doing that is just...well, cruel. If Sheppard senior had regrets, I'd hope he'd remember his other son, even if Shep didn't want anything of his father's.
                      sigpic

Comment

i really don't know his life is messed up though , it explains a lot ,

but i wish they would explain a lot
                        sigpic
                        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

I was completely satisfied with what we learned about Sheppard's background. I'm glad that not all questions about his past where answered. It gives us something to look forward to in the future. Great, great episode.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                            Seems likely that he did go to Stanford. Something had to bring it to mind?

SHEPPARD: My dad's idea of teenage rebellion was going to Stanford instead of Harvard.
                            (He smiles at Ronon, who frowns back, uncomprehending.)
                            SHEPPARD: Never mind. He just – he had everything planned out for me since I was about fourteen.

So…
                            Did Sheppard rebel by going to Stanford?
                            Did he get into Harvard?
                            A tidbit I found fascinating: Stanford doesn't have an ROTC program. They have a cross-studies program with other universities for those that want to be in ROTC. Harvard doesn't have ROTC either.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana
                            My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                              Also VERY interesting to know Sheppard WAS involved in some very secret, presumably special ops, missions. I think many had surmised that, but it's good to have that mentioned on screen.
                              Yes. I was glad to see that on screen to.

Originally posted by txTart View Post
                              I was completely satisfied with what we learned about Sheppard's background. I'm glad that not all questions about his past where answered. It gives us something to look forward to in the future. Great, great episode.
                              That's what I loved to. It still leaves an element of mystery about him...which is rather appealing!

Comment

Working...
                              X