PDA

View Full Version : Psh Writers can't get it right

andy tyler
February 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Remember Bates on the apollo?

Bates: the air force gave me an honorable discharge

Idiot writers. Bates was a marine, this was pretty obvious in the pilot, and in subsequent season 1 episodes.

SaberBlade
February 2nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I don't remember the show ever saying which branch of the armed services he was part of.

andy tyler
February 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
It was made pretty obvious by him wearing marine uniforms in many of the episodes. Lt. Ford was also a marine, as he wore the same uniform in the pilot and in many subsequent episodes.

John Sheppard never wore any of the MARPAT camo uniforms. He was air force.

Major_Griff
February 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Did he actually say airforce? I thought he just said the military. But Yeah he was definatly a Marine in S1. I guess they pulled a reverse Reynolds.

Nitegate
February 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
how about a WHO CARES

reddevil18
February 2nd, 2008, 09:21 AM
how about a WHO CARES

:indeed:

Avenger
February 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM
They said Air Force. Definitely a goof.

Jill_Ion
February 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
OK. They messed up one point about a character who hasn't been around for almost three seasons. Would've been great if they'd caught that error, but other than that, it's not a big deal.

And what does "Psh" mean? I have my ideas, but they aren't complimentary.

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
They said Air Force. Definitely a goof.

But a minor one.

Col.Foley
February 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
:indeed:
:indeed::indeed::indeed:

Noneareleft
February 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Or maybe since the Airforce seems to be in charge of the SGC, perhaps Landry gave him the honerable discharge being his ultimate CO?

P-90_177
February 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I don't see why it matters. SG-1 made much bigger goofs throught the seasons with ranks and branches of the military.

ip916a4bb
February 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
It's not like they divided by zero.

Skydiver
February 4th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Folks, chill out. And i suggest that you check out the forum rules about respecting others....calling them names isn't respect.

Lose the uppity attitude.

The writers made a mistake. Ain't the first, won't be the last. Just because folks have noticed and commented on it doesn't make them a lower form of life. It makes them observant fans.

MechaThor
February 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
The Writers are not us.. The Fans.

I mean yes, they are fans of the show, but unlike us, they don't look and know everylittle detail!

Series 4 of Atlantis has been SOO good and the writers have done such a great job! Not that past series of Atlantis where not Excellent, but 4 has so far been a masterpiece. So lets give the writers credit when credit is due, and not slate them or one tiny mistake, from a character we have not seen since series 1!
15 episodes of great writing, surly allows them one minor goof?

I don't see why it matters. SG-1 made much bigger goofs throught the seasons with ranks and branches of the military.

SG-1 made Big Mistakes with the Plots aswell! LOL. Remember the 2nd Supergate? each segment was bigger than a normal gate! Then theres the overly complex Ancient timeline! Whats going on there?

solarscreen
February 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Many times Marines will spend much of their careers attached to other commands like embassy duty or spec ops units. They get so used to reporting to officers from other branches that it can affect their speech when describing to others what they are doing or what they did. I can easily see a Marine saying that he got his discharge from the Air Force. It's not an error or a mistake. Even though I was in the Navy, I spent 6 years attached to Marine Corps units and I always tell people the Marines gave me all the medals I wear on my uniform that really count.

Mitchell82
February 4th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Folks, chill out. And i suggest that you check out the forum rules about respecting others....calling them names isn't respect.

Lose the uppity attitude.

The writers made a mistake. Ain't the first, won't be the last. Just because folks have noticed and commented on it doesn't make them a lower form of life. It makes them observant fans.
I don't know why some fans take this too far. Yeah they made a mistake but it was minor.

jenks
February 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Is it canon that Bates was a marine?