This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Countries Special Forces?

I really hope that in season 5 we get to see special forces of countries other than America. Atlantis is supposed to consist of a international contingent but only American special forces seem to go through the gate which seems really odd as some of the countries which are represented on Atlantis have got some of the best Special Forces units in the world.

Australia
    4th (Commando) Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (4RAR [Cdo])
    Special Air Service Regiment (SASR)

Canada
    Canadian Special Operations Regiment
    Marine Commando Regiment

Czech Republic
    SOG (Special Operations Group)
    601st Special Forces Group

France
    1st Marine Infantry Parachute Regiment (1er RPIMa)
    ALAT detachment for Special Operations (DAOS)

Germany
    Fallschirmspezialzüge (Pathfinder) of the Fallschirmjäger
    Kommando Spezialkräfte (KSK)

New Zealand
    Special Air Service of New Zealand (NZSAS)

United kindom
    Special Air Service (SAS)
    Special Reconnaissance Regiment (SRR)

I honestly dont know why it annoys me that only US Airmen or US Marines seem to go through the gate but for some reason it does.
    Last edited by ykickamoocow; 03 February 2008, 06:14 AM.

United Kingdom
    Special Boat Service (SBS)
    Special Forces Support Group (SFSG)

I'm British, so i thought I'd point out that we have more than the SAS and SRR.

But ye, other countries should be more involved, especially Britain and Canada as were probably the closest allies of the US and are therefore most likely to be trusted with protecting the expedition, seeing as the US controls the Stargate program.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

It'd be sweet to see a large scale raid on somewhere like a wraith compound with all these special forces working together.

Comment

If they do have the SAS/SRR/SBS/SFSG, they better have real british actors playing them, because Americans never ever get the accent right. Grodin was just terrible. They should have a Geordie, a Liverpudlian, a west countryman and a welshman, all with really strong regional accents That would confuse people who think there's only one british accent
        Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

i like to see:
          the dutch korps commandotroepen and the Air Assault Garderegiment Grenadiers en Jagers

thay also belong whit the best of the world
          sorry cant spell

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            If they do have the SAS/SRR/SBS/SFSG, they better have real british actors playing them, because Americans never ever get the accent right. Grodin was just terrible. They should have a Geordie, a Liverpudlian, a west countryman and a welshman, all with really strong regional accents That would confuse people who think there's only one british accent
            Well there are some great actors over here that could do the job.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by kefke20 View Post
              i like to see:
              the dutch korps commandotroepen and the Air Assault Garderegiment Grenadiers en Jagers

thay also belong whit the best of the world
              My bad. My knowledge of Dutch special forces is limited at best. I also tried to find some Russian special force units but after 3 minutes of searching the net i gave up

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                I really hope that in season 5 we get to see special forces of countries other than America. Atlantis is supposed to consist of a international contingent but only American special forces seem to go through the gate which seems really odd as some of the countries which are represented on Atlantis have got some of the best Special Forces units in the world.

<<<Snipped to make my post shorter,that's all ! FHB>>>

I honestly dont know why it annoys me that only US Airmen or US Marines seem to go through the gate but for some reason it does.
                Hear ,hear !
                I know that production costs are a big factor ,and the focus of the show was always going to be on the main civilian characters and the US military, but it annoys me too, that the other Treaty countries' Special Forces never get so much as a hand wave.

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
                It'd be sweet to see a large scale raid on somewhere like a wraith compound with all these special forces working together.
                I would love to see that,if the cost wasn't too high for the writers to consider.
                Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                LOL ! I know what you mean.I really liked Grodin,but the upper-crust English accent bugged me a little.Very few Brits speak like that .
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Tobias View Post
                  Starts thinking of fanfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                    Hear ,hear !
                    I know that production costs are a big factor ,and the focus of the show was always going to be on the main civilian characters and the US military, but it annoys me too, that the other Treaty countries' Special Forces never get so much as a hand wave.

I would love to see that,if the cost wasn't too high for the writers to consider.

LOL ! I know what you mean.I really liked Grodin,but the upper-crust English accent bugged me a little.Very few Brits speak like that .
                    you'd be surprised.

Comment

i think the problem with a multinational force is that in the heat of battle if a communications problem should arise it would be dreadful.

Although i swear I have seen german forces in atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        you'd be surprised.
                        Possibly,or possibly not.
                        Most British people I have encountered in an everyday manner in conversation ,tend not to enunciate every word,and their accents are wonderfully varied,imo.

In some professions though,it is very much preferred to try for accentless English,where at all possible.
                        One of my friends attended elocution classes during her time at University as she wanted to become a lawyer ,and she was strongly encouraged to lose her Welsh lilt.Another was urged to drop her Lancashire accent by a boss,and I had to work hard on my Highland Scottish accent during my own training to make sure clients and colleagues could clearly understand me .

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                          Possibly,or possibly not.
                          Most British people I have encountered in an everyday manner in conversation ,tend not to enunciate every word,and their accents are wonderfully varied,imo.

In some professions though,it is very much preferred to try for accentless English,where at all possible.
                          One of my friends attended elocution classes during her time at University as she wanted to become a lawyer ,and she was strongly encouraged to lose her Welsh lilt.Another was urged to drop her Lancashire accent by a boss,and I had to work hard on my Highland Scottish accent during my own training to make sure clients and colleagues could clearly understand me .
                          That is true. But in the military people accents tend to fade away. Not completely but to a fair degree. Merely for ease of understanding between other soldiers and even people from other countries. I've known a fair number of people who joined the army and had quite a strong Derbyshire accent. Now though they speak quite close to RP.

Comment

Fair point.I think that comes under the second paragraph in my post about professions,and the need for clear speech and understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
                              i think the problem with a multinational force is that in the heat of battle if a communications problem should arise it would be dreadful.

Although i swear I have seen german forces in atlantis
                              There is at least one German guard in Atlantis, albiet with his flag patch sometimes upside down. I've seen a Briton in the gateroom aswell.

Comment

Working...
                              X