The ZPM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ZPM problem

From what I understand, zero point energy is created when matter reaches 0 Kelvin. Why couldn't the ancients just make a super freezer and harvest energy?
    Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Where did you hear that?

ZPMs extract vacuum energy from a small artificially-created region of subspace time
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
      Where did you hear that?

ZPMs extract vacuum energy from a small artificially-created region of subspace time
      That's what is stated on the show...

Comment

the correct answer: extracting zero point energy, also known as vacuum energy, is like having a nuclear reactor pumping water up a hill and then have a hydro dam generate power from it. to extract it is -currently- impossible and will cost more than it generates. the ancients got a way around this. they extracted this energy from subspace, but making it 'depletable" ie reaching maximum enthropy, as the energy stream is fluctuating and too unstable to gain more energy from. in real space you wouldnt have the problem, as it regenerates. in subspace it wont. why? dont ask me.

zero point energy:
        lowest amount of energy possible in a vaccuum at 0K. this is because of the chance that an energy particle will be created out of "nowhere"

Comment

So that means?
          Vote Anubis for President in 2012
          A Face you Can Trust
          sigpic
          So whats the worst that could happen?
          Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
          It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
            So that means?
            he just broke the laws of physics, you can't create or destroy energy

Comment

Unless its a nuclear reaction

Comment

ZPMs mean ZERO POINT MODULE which means that it uses ZERO POINT ENERGY.
                ZERO POINT ENERGY is the energy which is eminated by particels which reaches des lowest posible energy ( 0 calvin). thats why it is called ZERO POINT ENGERY

Please dont mix ZPE up mit vacuum energy which is the background energy which is eminated from vacuum which is nowhere near 0 calvin.

for more informatian look on wikipedia

and yes crazy tom is right you can't destroy or creat engery. this is one of the basic laws of physics.

Comment

Yes I was wrong..I was refering to matter. My bad

Comment

but wikipedia says, and i qoute. "the chance of the creation of energy particles"

Comment

The biggest problem with ZPMs is actually how the writers don't know how powerful they are.

They're power sources which...

- can be drained at a rate of 2% per second.
                      - can either torch entire star systems or blow up planets Death Star style.
                      - can maintain a time dilation field for a rate of 50 years : 10 seconds max.
                      - can power shields which resist CMEs which dwarf anything our sun could be capable of.

or, on the other end...

- is barely enough to lift a 3 km wide city (a quick calc on this shows that the energy required to do so, even counting the superboost seen in Rising, would require only a fraction of what a mere Goa'uld ship's cannon is capable of).
                      - is absolutely required to make the same city go into hyperspace (nevermind the countless big ships doing so in SG-1 and hardly having anything close to a ZPM!)...
                      - is the absolute key parameter to cloning (the bad science hurts, a minuscule amount of advisory would really help for the next spin off people).

That's why I go with the idea that someone messed up with calibrations in the city of Atlantis, otherwise it makes zero sense.
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                        The biggest problem with ZPMs is actually how the writers don't know how powerful they are.

- can power shields which resist CMEs which dwarf anything our sun could be capable of.

or, on the other end...

- is barely enough to lift a 3 km wide city (a quick calc on this shows that the energy required to do so, even counting the superboost seen in Rising, would require only a fraction of what a mere Goa'uld ship's cannon is capable of).
                        - is absolutely required to make the same city go into hyperspace (nevermind the countless big ships doing so in SG-1 and hardly having anything close to a ZPM!)...
                        - is the absolute key parameter to cloning (the bad science hurts, a minuscule amount of advisory would really help for the next spin off people).

That's why I go with the idea that someone messed up with calibrations in the city of Atlantis, otherwise it makes zero sense.
                        i'm gona kill whoever wrote that episode! power isn't as big an isssue in clonig as nutrients and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post

or, on the other end...

I think lifting Atlantis from a standing start into orbit would be a bit beyond the power of a Goa'uld cannon. Atlantis is HUGE, I wouldn't even like to guess how much something that size would weigh. It would also create a massive amount of drag while in the atmosphere. The Saturn V which was a 'mere' 110m tall and 10m wide needed around 180 000 000 horsepower to get off the ground.

Atlantis only needs a ZPM to jump into hyperspace because it was designed to be powered by ZPMs. If another powersource was connected to the stardrive, a couple of Asgard neturino ion generators for example it would probably make it to hyperspace. But remember that as well as powering the stardrive, the shield, inertial dampers etc also need to be running, and this uses a lot of power.

In the case of cloning
                          Spoiler:
                          the Wraith only needed a ZPM because they were producing such a huge number of clones. Todd said that in a matter of weeks the Wraith army had grown to hundreds of times its original size. As the warriors were 'born' fully grown, it can be assumed that their growth was artificially accelerated as well, which means even more power was required.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think he was refering to BASMR "cloning." If that is the case they must have done something else with the energy, like maybe they used it in creation of the mock city, and they meant the left over energy was used to make the "clone" atlantis team (they really gotta get a name that refers to them quicker like SGA-1). Because using the entire ZPM to create 5 people and run out of energy is ridiculous we see the 304s beam more than 4 people at once and power has never been a concern, ever. Also they said nanites built them so i seriously dont see how that would require the ZPM's energy to be involved. That was a huge mess up in that show.

Hives i think are supposed to be bigger than Atlantis (the hives are 11 km long and maybe about 4 km in width if im not mistaken) The hives seem to have no problem getting out of an atmosphere.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by ELJAY View Post
                              ZPMs mean ZERO POINT MODULE which means that it uses ZERO POINT ENERGY.
                              ZERO POINT ENERGY is the energy which is eminated by particels which reaches des lowest posible energy ( 0 calvin). thats why it is called ZERO POINT ENGERY

Please dont mix ZPE up mit vacuum energy which is the background energy which is eminated from vacuum which is nowhere near 0 calvin.

for more informatian look on wikipedia

and yes crazy tom is right you can't destroy or creat engery. this is one of the basic laws of physics.
                              If you're wondering where I found this crazy bit of info, wikipedia.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
                              How on earth could something with the least possible amount of energy be used as power?

Joe
                              Last edited by Ancient122; 03 February 2008, 01:46 AM. Reason: bad link
                              Zero Point Energy by 0 Kelvin: Just go to Wikipedia, type in Absolute 0, hit enter. It'll save a little bit of my time and effort.

better to be wrong and alive than right and dead

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X