PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Weir in Season 5

Pages : [1] 2

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Now that we know that JM is looking to continue the Weir storyline in S5 and he has said that it will be on screen and with Torri, let's speculate as to what capacity she may be brought back.

Be aware of spoilers for season 5.

Briangate78
February 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
I hope it is more eps than this season. There is so much opportunity for this character! Let's hope for the best!

We do know there are plans to bring her back, so we off on the right foot. :)

justhere1971
February 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM
I can see a really good story arc starting towards the back end of of the S5. In the beginning of S5 maybe midway through they can show a confrontation ... a old sleeper cell of Replicator's send a drone or something. That starts them talking about Weir again. With Shep going brooding. (my shipper heart go pitter patter). Then after the mid season 2 parter, they start the next episode w/ "previously on Atlantis ..." and we continue w/ her storyline.

We see Elizabeth contacting Atlantis again, a lot like TMC. Then we see them trying to figure out if it's the real Weir or what. Then her storyline continues. We end w/ Rodney with the help of Carson this time finally deactivating the nanite or figuring out a way to get Elizabeth clean of them. We see them end the season w/ Elizabeth getting sent back to Earth (called by the IOA). Confrontation ... angst, drama. And we start plotting for S6 and the full return of Weir.

I know lot's of crazy theories that can't be really connected. But I am speculating.

SMB_BOOKS
February 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
:weir: WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! :weir:

Here's what I'm hoping for. (I'm done trying to figure out what the hell TPTB are going to do. Not worth my time anymore).

ANYHOO - In MY Season 5.....
She's the real Elizabeth Weir played by Torri Higginson.
She's an ally.
She gets to come home to Atlantis.
There will be drama and angst getting her back, but it WILL happen and there will be a happy resolution for this character.
She's in a hell of a lot more eps in Season 5 than she was in Season 4.

methosivanhoe
February 1st, 2008, 06:57 PM

Here's what I'm hoping for. (I'm done trying to figure out what the hell TPTB are going to do. Not worth my time anymore).

She's an ally.
There will be drama and angst getting her back, but it WILL happen and there will be a happy resolution for this character.

In MY Season 5.....

She's the real Elizabeth Weir played by Torri Higginson. Definitely!!!

She's an ally. hopefully, if not returning to her old post as leader of Atlantis.

She gets to come home to Atlantis. See above note

There will be drama and angst getting her back, but it WILL happen and there will be a happy resolution for this character. we can hope, but personally i'm hoping for a lot of angst over her character and what happened to her, or what she did over the last few months.

She's in a hell of a lot more eps in Season 5 than she was in Season 4. definitely... the PTB really need to make it up to Torri for how they treated her.

M

Agent_Dark
February 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
we'll be looking at a few eps in s5. shes not going to be in the 2parter, so that means shes probably not going to be involved in the main arc much. probably a few episode long arc that will centre around the remaining asurans.

which is good because thats the best use of the weir character. she now has her own arc and storyline which she never had before, but its one that is best dealt with in small doses. it will be better if she's not part of the atlantis crew anymore to make the arc interesting, which means they can't keep spending time on it unless they do something like making her a big bad guy (which actually might be kinda cool as well).

Fenrir Foxz
February 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
In MY Season 5.....

She's the real Elizabeth Weir played by Torri Higginson. Definitely!!!

She's an ally. hopefully, if not returning to her old post as leader of Atlantis.

She gets to come home to Atlantis. See above note

There will be drama and angst getting her back, but it WILL happen and there will be a happy resolution for this character. we can hope, but personally i'm hoping for a lot of angst over her character and what happened to her, or what she did over the last few months.

She's in a hell of a lot more eps in Season 5 than she was in Season 4. definitely... the PTB really need to make it up to Torri for how they treated her.

M

I completely agree :) Good list :D

methosivanhoe
February 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
also to add to the list...

a lot of flashbacks with Weir in the hot leather outfit... sorry, back on track, a lot of flashbacks about what happened to Weir, what she was planning and what she did while she was repli-weir.

M

Uber
February 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
we'll be looking at a few eps in s5. shes not going to be in the 2parter, so that means shes probably not going to be involved in the main arc much. probably a few episode long arc that will centre around the remaining asurans.

which is good because thats the best use of the weir character. she now has her own arc and storyline which she never had before, but its one that is best dealt with in small doses. it will be better if she's not part of the atlantis crew anymore to make the arc interesting, which means they can't keep spending time on it unless they do something like making her a big bad guy (which actually might be kinda cool as well).I agree...especially given the scene in BAMSR where Liz was with a group of rebel Asurans.

Good or evil, I think this is the real Weir...and it looks to me like her path and future at least for the time being will be with them. I hope that one day she is able to return home...but even then, I seriously doubt that she would be a part of the expedition again. But at least she'd be able to see her mom and recover from an incredibly harrowing experience.

Chrysalis
February 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
All these "It's not realistic for her to return as leader" etc etc comments -- I have to say, it's fiction. Not just that, it's science fiction.

Beckett was killed. His body went through the gate. But he's coming back. Is that realistic? No. Half the members of SGA and SG1 have been inhabited by various alien entitites. Teyla has her connection to the Wraith. Is it realistic that they'd be trusted again? No, but they are.

There is just as much possibility storywise for Weir to be brought back, to be back to 'good', to be the leader, as there is of anything else happening on this show.

The possibilities all come down to what those in charge want, not what's 'realistic' to the viewers. Anything can be made to be realistic, anything can be explained away. This is scifi.

The fact that Mallozzi lets through snarky, *****y comments on his blog about various actors, though, gives me a good idea of what he thinks of them, and what he thinks of their character.

That, more than anything else, indicates who's coming, going, staying, 'in good' with TPTB.

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 08:04 PM
On the contrary, JM's blog has gotten a lot calmer since he decided to get stricter about what comments get approved and what don't (which happened once he switched venues). As for the Weir fans, heh, I suppose you see what you want to see, because as far as I'm concerned, he only targets the nutty ones, as with all fan factions (although that can be just me seeing what I want to see, I admit it).

And he also approves a lot of posts praising the various actors. What do you say to those?

Ruined_puzzle
February 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
All these "It's not realistic for her to return as leader" etc etc comments -- I have to say, it's fiction. Not just that, it's science fiction.

Beckett was killed. His body went through the gate. But he's coming back. Is that realistic? No. Half the members of SGA and SG1 have been inhabited by various alien entitites. Teyla has her connection to the Wraith. Is it realistic that they'd be trusted again? No, but they are.

There is just as much possibility storywise for Weir to be brought back, to be back to 'good', to be the leader, as there is of anything else happening on this show.

The sticking point is what TPTB want, and I hate to say it, but JM seems to love provoking and snarking at Weir fans too much to want to bring her back for anything more than a couple of episodes. Which is his loss.

The possibilities all come down to what those in charge want, not what's 'realistic' to the viewers. Anything can be made to be realistic, anything can be explained away. This is scifi.

The fact that Mallozzi lets through snarky, *****y comments on his blog about various actors, though, gives me a good idea of what he thinks of them, and what he thinks of their character.

That, more than anything else, indicates who's coming, going, staying, 'in good' with TPTB.

Aye, aye. I totally agree.

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Snipped from JM's blog:

On the subject of Stargate Atlantis - a lot of you have commented and left questions about Amanda Tapping’s new project: Sanctuary. Were we surprised by the decision? How do we feel about said decision? How will this decision affect Atlantis? Well, we at Stargate have always supported our large, extended family - both on the set of our show and off. We realize that Amanda was faced with a very difficult decision and respect her desire to strike out on her own. A lot of the people involved in the Sanctuary project are Stargate alumni, and we sincerely wish them nothing but the best. As stated in the SciFi press release, Amanda will guest star on Atlantis’s fifth season - but the exact number of appearances by Colonel Carter will be wholly dependant on Amanda’s availability and the types of stories we have in the works. Still, Carter will be one of a number of familiar faces that will be popping up in the Pegasus Galaxy in season 5 - including a new commander. Remember way back, when I said we had considered a handful of possible candidates for the command position at the beginning of season 4? Well this person made that short list then, and we’re VERY excited about his/her/its(?) addition to our cast of regulars. As for who it is and what other little surprises we have in store…head on over to the SciFi site Monday morning and start refreshing.

Ruined_puzzle
February 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM
You know I wish whoever this new person is would have been comander in s4 because that way maybe we would have gotten more Elizabeth angst.

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
They should've just kept Weir in S4 and moved her storyline to S5 if they were going to do something like this. 3 commanders in 5 seasons? Come on.

Ruined_puzzle
February 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
They should've just kept Weir in S4 and moved her storyline to S5 if they were going to do something like this. 3 commanders in 5 seasons? Come on.

Ah, but tptb didn't want Weir in s4 anymore. I just think that I would have been less hateful towards someone new. I bet thought that whoever this new person is they will stay commander of SGA until it gets canceled, which will be after s5, lol.

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Ah, but tptb didn't want Weir in s4 anymore. I just think that I would have been less hateful towards someone new. I bet thought that whoever this new person is they will stay commander of SGA until it gets canceled, which will be after s5, lol.

Well it seems like SGA is becoming less like the SGA we've all known and loved. Are we taking bets as to if it's someone from SG-1. ??? How much you want to bet it is?

Ruined_puzzle
February 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
Well it seems like SGA is becoming less like the SGA we've all known and loved. Are we taking bets as to if it's someone from SG-1. ??? How much you want to bet it is?

Woosley or Cadwell. If it's Ellis I will be even more anti than I already am.

methosivanhoe
February 1st, 2008, 08:35 PM
my money's on Daniel coming from SG1...

bet you anything that's the major cast announcement on Monday.

M

nowvoyager908
February 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM

I'll take that bet. If Carter was added to the Atlantis cast as a lure of sorts for SG1 fans, my guess is that whoever else they were considering would likely have been in the same category. So, who are the likely candidates?

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
My money's on Daniel.

But no matter who they get to command - they will never fill Weir's shoes. She did it first and she did it best. Always.

Pharaoh Atem
February 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
well weir has a story line and a new twist to her charcter so there is great poteinal here

Irish Eyes
February 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
My money's on Daniel.

But no matter who they get to command - they will never fill Weir's shoes. She did it first and she did it best. Always.

I can't see the character Daniel being the Atlantis commander because we all know he would put his head in a book and be oblivious to everything going on around him. :)

Of course TPTB could see him differently... ;)

What if the new commander is Hammond? I could see TPTB getting excited about that.

Suzotchka
February 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Maybe it's Sedge! Awww ... that'd be so cute! :)

Irish Eyes
February 1st, 2008, 09:00 PM
Maybe it's Sedge! Awww ... that'd be so cute! :)

:lol:

Where's FH? She could do a manip of Commander Sedge!

Chrysalis
February 1st, 2008, 09:20 PM
On the contrary, JM's blog has gotten a lot calmer since he decided to get stricter about what comments get approved and what don't (which happened once he switched venues). As for the Weir fans, heh, I suppose you see what you want to see, because as far as I'm concerned, he only targets the nutty ones, as with all fan factions (although that can be just me seeing what I want to see, I admit it).

And he also approves a lot of posts praising the various actors. What do you say to those?

I'm not talking about the good things he unscreens. He's unscreened some absolutely appalling comments regarding Joe Flanigan which was just extremely unprofessional, all because Joe dared to say that he'd like Torri back, and he didn't think that killing off characters boosted ratings.

That's petulant, childish behaviour. Don't snark about them yourself, but let through comments from others to do it for you.

Amalthea
February 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM
I think Weir is going to be back in the Replicator story arc for sure, but likely will not be returning in the command role. Having her come back as a semi-regular enemy/kind of not an enemy/we're not sure role would be very interesting. Shades of grey with characters is thumbs up in my book.

methosivanhoe
February 1st, 2008, 09:27 PM
I think Weir is going to be back in the Replicator story arc for sure, but likely will not be returning in the command role. Having her come back as a semi-regular enemy/kind of not an enemy/we're not sure role would be very interesting. Shades of grey with characters is thumbs up in my book.

definitely...

i completely agree with all of that

M

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'm not talking about the good things he unscreens. He's unscreened some absolutely appalling comments regarding Joe Flanigan which was just extremely unprofessional, all because Joe dared to say that he'd like Torri back, and he didn't think that killing off characters boosted ratings.

That's a strange way of looking at it. He unscreened those comments because some fans chose to post those things. He also unscreened comments from fans defending JF. He basically unscreens everything other than the truly bad stuff.

It was during a time when he was a lot less strict about what he unscreens, anyway.

And why won't you look at the good stuff he unscreens? If he dislike some actor enough to unscreen bad stuff for them, why would he unscreen good stuff as well? The only explanation: he unscreens pretty much everything.

Chrysalis
February 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM
That's a strange way of looking at it. He unscreened those comments because some fans chose to post those things. He also unscreened comments from fans defending JF. He basically unscreens everything other than the truly bad stuff.

It was during a time when he was a lot less strict about what he unscreens, anyway.

And why won't you look at the good stuff he unscreens? If he dislike some actor enough to unscreen bad stuff for them, why would he unscreen good stuff as well? The only explanation: he unscreens pretty much everything.

Dude, take a chill pill. WTH did I say that I don't look at the good stuff? That's a given. If someone wants to say good things, I don't have an issue with it. It's when they say *****y, snarky things about the actors that it becomes a problem.

If you can't see that...

PG15
February 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hmm...I did seem confrontational, didn't I? Well, I don't know what happened, because I thought I was merely asking questions, and I was definitely chilled at the time. Apologies if it seemed otherwise. :)

And are you kidding? Of course I see that, except for me, it's more like...

"It's when they say *****y, nasty, snarky things about [TPTB] that it becomes a problem."

And I'm sure you can see that. ;)

Chrysalis
February 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Hmm...I did seem confrontational, didn't I? Well, I don't know what happened, because I thought I was merely asking questions, and I was definitely chilled at the time. Apologies if it seemed otherwise. :)

And are you kidding? Of course I see that, except for me, it's more like...

"It's when they say *****y, nasty, snarky things about [TPTB] that it becomes a problem."

And I'm sure you can see that. ;)

TPTB make the decisions. The actors don't.

That makes the difference. The actors are doing what TPTB tell them. If there's a problem, it lies with the people in charge, not with the actors who are following instructions.

PG15
February 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
They're both people embedded within the big machine that is the entertainment industry, and neither are the top clog; neither deserve the nasty crap flung at them from fans who don't know the whole picture.

Uber
February 2nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
I think Weir is going to be back in the Replicator story arc for sure, but likely will not be returning in the command role. Having her come back as a semi-regular enemy/kind of not an enemy/we're not sure role would be very interesting. Shades of grey with characters is thumbs up in my book.Exactly. We know who Weir was...her heart, her compassion, her humor...but who is she now? Have the nanites changed her in some way or is her core still intact? Or even better...is she changed for the worse yet still has it within her to recover? That would be a powerful arc...watching not only the physical rescue of the character but the psychological and emotional one as well.

But I agree. Weir is not returning to her post with the expedition. The IOA had already turned her into a "figurehead" (her words) who was ignored and disregarded when major issues came to pass...so they'd certainly not favor her returning to her post even if/when she is rescued.

Wormhole
February 2nd, 2008, 02:36 AM
:eek: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/02/mallozzi_discusses_tappings_depa.shtml

"Carter will be one of a number of familiar faces that will be popping up in the Pegasus Galaxy in Season Five -- including a new commander. Remember way back, when I said we had considered a handful of possible candidates for the command position at the beginning of Season Four? Well, this person made that short list then, and we're very excited about his/her/its(?) addition to our cast of regulars."

Just curious but did anyone notice the it in the qoute? Might refer to a replicator?;). Wishful thinking I know:(.

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Hey, people are actually still using the motto I came up with for the Save Weir Campaign. Been busy for a couple of weeks, so it's great to come back here and see it in a sig or two. Makes me feel special and such.

I wish to hell and back she returned as base commander after a few episodes dealing with what's going on with her, followed by an angst-filled ep with lots of redemption themes and whatnot, much in the vein of Teal'c's early fifth season moment. Hm, how fitting, fifth season. But anyway, considering what's been said so far, not going to happen.

As for the new base commander, it could end up being that woman that was mentioned, Alison Porter, though I actually rather doubt it. First off, Mallozzi probably would have noted she's already been brought up -- well, not directly, but the wording probably would have been different. I think. Otherwise, the more obvious -- she's 28, she's 'just' a captain, she 'hasn't been assigned to a team'... it sounds more like Porter could simply end up being either a recurring or a two- or three-off that ends their story dying bravely.

If it's going to be an SG-1 pull, I'd love to see Daniel be the pick, but I'd also love to see Cameron, but I'm not only torn on both, I see the logical flaws with them, too.

Daniel could get a bit too over-his-head with lack of experience in leadership and desire to leap into everything from an explorer's perspective -- but then again, these are things the IOA pointed at Weir about, and so it isn't downright impossible. But having both Carter and Daniel 'elsewhere' -- though we don't really know where Carter's going to 'go' after this -- it would fracture the impact of the SG-1 movies even moreso if there are further installments to be had. Already, Jack's usually doing something else. All we'd have left that wouldn't feel like Worf always conveniently finding his way back home for the TNG movies would be Teal'c, incidentally the 'Worf' of the show.

And then there's Cameron Mitchell; in addition to being rather newbish in the chain of command for such a promotion from a military perspective, he also isn't the explorer that Weir and Danny are, so he scores points on neither. Not to mention, being an avid and devout 'Scaper, I'd also prefer Ben Browder be currently signed only for further SG-1 telemovies, because, uhh, he's more available that way, and the future is bright again for Farscape for the first time since 2004, so... purely selfish off-franchise reasoning there.

You know, rereading Mallozzi's statement from earlier, having suggested Porter to begin with was a stupid idea. He said it's a 'familiar face', based on the wording, so... hmm. Daniel, Mitchell... you know, it'd even be funny to see it end up being Teal'c somehow, but I doubt that would happen. Vala is clearly impossible, which means watch them end up doing it, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I could believe the reasoning. Hammond? Doubtful, for multiple reasons. Landry? Could be.

Could be any of a dozen or so memorable faces from SG-1, too, maybe.

Also, I'm randomly concerned for a member of the team's continued stay if Porter is looking for a team. Hopefully I'm completely wrong, because while I didn't feel too keen on Teyla before (which isn't to say I disliked her, I just wouldn't have minded terribly if she'd left for whatever reason) I really feel like I've come to like her in this season.

Willow'sCat
February 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Basically Weir now will only work as a Replicator gone mad, insane if you will :cool: so pretty much Weir is dead as we or anyone else knew her. Even if she (as human) turned out to be alive there is no way tptb could possibly justify, or skirt regulations and rules and have her as a part of Atlantis again... not in my book. It would be like expecting Ford to just rejoin the TEAM if he came back. :cool:

This is also what I worry about with Beckett but that is for another thread. ;)

As for Daniel being commander, would they really go with another civilian? *shrugs* Again another thread... do we have one yet? I bet we do. :P

*goes off to look*

jemimablue
February 2nd, 2008, 07:47 AM

The sticking point is what TPTB want, and I hate to say it, but JM seems to love provoking and snarking at Weir fans too much to want to bring her back for anything more than a couple of episodes. Which is his loss.

Amen. Green for you :)

Livingstone
February 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, Weir COULD come back as leader of Atlantis, but I don't think it will happen.

I'm afraid that Monday won't mean anything for Weir fans. There's probably no news in the announcement that concerns Weir. I think Torri will be billed as a special guest star or something and I doubt they will annouce any guest stars. But I hope I'm wrong! :weir:

Eri13
February 2nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, Weir COULD come back as leader of Atlantis, but I don't think it will happen.

I'm afraid that Monday won't mean anything for Weir fans. There's probably no news in the announcement that concerns Weir. I think Torri will be billed as a special guest star or something and I doubt they will annouce any guest stars. But I hope I'm wrong! :weir:

I have that feeling, too...

On Weir being back:

One thing I'm possibly viewing as (wishful) thinking is that we have the 100th episode to contend with. As it is something many show creators like to have as a 'hallmark' episode, I would not be surprised if the Weir storyline began right after the mid-season 2 parter and resolved in part with the 100th episode. It would make sense, and be fitting--it could also mean the potential to see Weir back in her office, or on Atlantis's balcony, because what better way to bring a story full circle than to have it resolve in episode 100, the finale of the season?

And Weir can always come back as head. People can always come back in sci-fi, in whatever capacity. If they can come back from death, they can come back as leader of the expedition, replicator, part-replicator, clone, cyborg, mutant shark, terminator or not. Considering they had no problem shirking the rules when Sheppard and the rest defied direct military orders in "The Return", and they've been able to make us believe that the IOA still though a civilian commander was a good idea after "The Siege" series, anything is possible. I agree with above that it'll depend on what TPTB wants, not what 'makes sense'.

As for the new commander--if he's male, I'll be content. I don't want another female, and considering 'this person' made the short list, I'm guessing it's either an SG-1 or SGA regular/guest we're familiar with. And if they're bringing in "Allison Porter", it seems to me they're doing so to balance out the lack of female presence--which would also make sense if the new commander wasn't a female. They'd need another girl besides Teyla to 'be PC.'

I'm not betting on Daniel--though I wouldn't deny it as possible, I can't imagine him doing what Elizabeth did, and sit around watching others explore and discover. I don't know if Daniel fans would go for it. My money's on Caldwell, as he almost got his hands on Sheppard's military post, and that would be a REALLY interesting conflict--Caldwell's straight up military, and has never particularly cared for the Atlantis Expedition's 'bending of the rules' when it came to saving lives. He and Sheppard would face off, and that could be fun.
Though no one replaces Weir in my book.

Celcool
February 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM

She's an ally.

Hear! Hear!

Exactly. Monday doesn't excite one bit, just like SGA in general.

ToasterOnFire
February 2nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
I will be very disappointed if we do not see the Weir from BAMSR in s5. Hell, at this point I may only be watching the eps with Weir next season - little else appeals to me anymore.

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
I will be very disappointed if we do not see the Weir from BAMSR in s5. Hell, at this point I may only be watching the eps with Weir next season - little else appeals to me anymore.

It will most likely be that Weir. I do hope she has a decent amount of eps and not just one or two.

kymeric
February 2nd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Id be cool with caldwell as commander. As for Weir i bet she shows up at some pivitol moment ^,^

Suzotchka
February 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
I still think it's Sedge. :P

Falcon Horus
February 2nd, 2008, 11:53 AM
my money's on Daniel coming from SG1...

Can I haz Carter back then? ... Not really, but i'd be choosing between the lesser of two evils.

well weir has a story line and a new twist to her charcter so there is great poteinal here

Didn't they say the exact same thing about Ford? And look what happened to him?

Where's FH? She could do a manip of Commander Sedge!

*answers call*

Briangate78
February 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Can I haz Carter back then? ... Not really, but i'd be choosing between the lesser of two evils.

Didn't they say the exact same thing about Ford? And look what happened to him?

It's not the same. :S Weir has been given the green-light and she will return next season.

Falcon Horus
February 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
It's not the same. :S Weir has been given the green-light and she will return next season.

In that she differs... the rest, pretty much the same thing.

Sorry, for being a little on the negative here... but faith has pretty much deserted me. And I have been watching Moonlight, which rocked.

Lord batchi ball
February 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
The Wier story line is the most interesting thing that SGA has going right now.

So they better have her alot!!

jelgate
February 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
In that she differs... the rest, pretty much the same thing.

Sorry, for being a little on the negative here... but faith has pretty much deserted me. And I have been watching Moonlight, which rocked.
FH, do I have to go get the pitcher of optimism.

Falcon Horus
February 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM

Might not be such a bad idea...

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM

Please bring any & all stash of alcohol w/ the said pitcher ... I have a feeling we all will need some amount of it. Of course only for the drinking age folks < my disclaimer. :D

ablevins425
February 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have that feeling, too...

On Weir being back:

One thing I'm possibly viewing as (wishful) thinking is that we have the 100th episode to contend with. As it is something many show creators like to have as a 'hallmark' episode, I would not be surprised if the Weir storyline began right after the mid-season 2 parter and resolved in part with the 100th episode. It would make sense, and be fitting--it could also mean the potential to see Weir back in her office, or on Atlantis's balcony, because what better way to bring a story full circle than to have it resolve in episode 100, the finale of the season?

And Weir can always come back as head. People can always come back in sci-fi, in whatever capacity. If they can come back from death, they can come back as leader of the expedition, replicator, part-replicator, clone, cyborg, mutant shark, terminator or not. Considering they had no problem shirking the rules when Sheppard and the rest defied direct military orders in "The Return", and they've been able to make us believe that the IOA still though a civilian commander was a good idea after "The Siege" series, anything is possible. I agree with above that it'll depend on what TPTB wants, not what 'makes sense'.

As for the new commander--if he's male, I'll be content. I don't want another female, and considering 'this person' made the short list, I'm guessing it's either an SG-1 or SGA regular/guest we're familiar with. And if they're bringing in "Allison Porter", it seems to me they're doing so to balance out the lack of female presence--which would also make sense if the new commander wasn't a female. They'd need another girl besides Teyla to 'be PC.'

I'm not betting on Daniel--though I wouldn't deny it as possible, I can't imagine him doing what Elizabeth did, and sit around watching others explore and discover. I don't know if Daniel fans would go for it. My money's on Caldwell, as he almost got his hands on Sheppard's military post, and that would be a REALLY interesting conflict--Caldwell's straight up military, and has never particularly cared for the Atlantis Expedition's 'bending of the rules' when it came to saving lives. He and Sheppard would face off, and that could be fun.
Though no one replaces Weir in my book.

I thought about the 100th episode earlier this week, and I came up with a horrible idea that I hope they don't do! Please by all means don't do it!!

Another wormhole extreme movie, where they find a hollow positional unit (zero point module) and gate to the lost city of Afghanastan, lol! Please Please Please no wormwhole extreme!!

Jeff O'Connor
February 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM
Please bring any & all stash of alcohol w/ the said pitcher ... I have a feeling we all will need some amount of it. Of course only for the drinking age folks < my disclaimer. :D

D'oh, and here I am just seven months short of 21.

jelgate
February 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
D'oh, and here I am just seven months short of 21.I won't tell anyone;)

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry but the chance that Weir even could return as commander is zero. She is a security risk.

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I won't tell anyone;)

*shaking head* stop corrupting the young. There will be cider provided for them.

:D

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry but the chance that Weir even could return as commander is zero. She is a security risk.

Thank you for great insight & optimism.

jelgate
February 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
*shaking head* stop corrupting the young. There will be cider provided for them.:DBut I like my booze.

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
But I like my booze.

well fine ... don't blame me then. :P

Hand me the vodka & cran and I am happy.

Mitchell82
February 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
But I like my booze.

Beer for me.;)

Jumper_One
February 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Beer for me.;)

beer, vodka whatever I want it :D

Ruined_puzzle
February 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM

Aren't all the Ausorans(misspelled ?) destroyed? If so why would she be a security risk.

I'm really really really tired of the security risk argument. Everyone is a security risk at this point then. lololol.

justhere1971
February 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Aren't all the Ausorans(misspelled ?) destroyed? If so why would she be a security risk.

I'm really really really tired of the security risk argument. Everyone is a security risk at this point then. lololol.

:lol: actually it's looking like McKay's brain might be a security risk also. ;)

Ruined_puzzle
February 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
:lol: actually it's looking like McKay's brain might be a security risk also. ;)

His brain, his lack of bravery, his ego. OMG someone needs to lock him up for good.. ;)

jenks
February 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM

She's full of nanites.

marielabbott
February 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM

Just to be entirely accurate, from JM's blog:

Marielabbott writes: “Any chance Weir might be figuring prominently in the mid-season two-parter?”

Answer: Nope.

So, it is possible that Weir might appear in the mid-season two-parter, but not be figured prominently. Truthfully, I never expected him to answer that question and I'm still shocked he did.

I don't know what's going to happen to Weir in season 5. I'm very, very glad we got confirmation she will appear, but I'm disappointed she won't-- apparently--be getting her office back. I don't know what to think anymore. :S

Scary Kitty
February 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Just to be entirely accurate, from JM's blog:

Marielabbott writes: “Any chance Weir might be figuring prominently in the mid-season two-parter?”

Answer: Nope.

So, it is possible that Weir might appear in the mid-season two-parter, but not be figured prominently. Truthfully, I never expected him to answer that question and I'm still shocked he did.

A surprise cameo, like in BAMSR? They've done it once, there's always a possibility they could do it again...

I don't know what's going to happen to Weir in season 5. I'm very, very glad we got confirmation she will appear, but I'm disappointed she won't-- apparently--be getting her office back. I don't know what to think anymore. :S

I'm not disappointed by that. Frankly, I think she was wasted in the position of expedition commander (just as Carter has been in Season 4). When the character was introduced, such a big deal was made of her experience in diplomacy and particular note was made of her linguistic abilities. Who can forget how she negotiated the balls off three Goa'uld System Lords in SG-1's "New Order?"

And yet those skills were hardly used when she got to Atlantis. Instead, she was practically chained to her desk off the gateroom, doing paperwork, herding the scientists, and getting worried whenever Team Sheppard got in trouble. In the meantime, the diplomatic work got foisted off onto Sheppard (who has zero experience in that arena) and Teyla (who certainly knows Pegasus, but has zero experience with Earth politics and the armchair quarterbacking of the IOA).

Some of the episodes that I've enjoyed the most were the ones where Weir was allowed to get out from behind the desk and do something. Going off to the Genii homeworld to make a gutsy deal for a couple of nukes in "The Siege, Part 2." Going off to the sanctuary planet to decipher the Ancient texts on the time-dilation field and save Sheppard in "Epiphany." Pleading for Atlantis's case before the IOA back on Earth in "No Man's Land." Using her mad translator skills again to help Zelenka's team figure out how to fix the Ascension machine and save Rodney in "Tao of Rodney."

These are the kinds of things she was trained for. Maybe not with space aliens out to cheat us, enslave us, or kill us, but the principles are the same. I want to see more of that.

I want to see her pushed out of her comfort zone, like she was in "The Return," where she's kicked out of her home on Atlantis, and then has to set aside her own "negotiate first" credo to join Sheppard's team to kick Replicator *ss and take back Atlantis.

I want to see her back, with a major presence in Atlantis. But I want to see her doing something meaningful with that presence. Exploring. Learning. Protecting. Growing.

And making Sheppard's jaw drop in speechless lust when he sees her in that sexy leather jacket would be a plus, too. :sheppardanime23:

Falcon Horus
February 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
She is a security risk.

Everybody who was ever taken over by an alien entity or has the dna-leftovers of some experiment gone wrong could be classified as a security risk... BUT, they're not.

Second that.

JackHarkness_Hot
February 3rd, 2008, 05:56 AM
Falcon, what are you implying with your sig?? :D!! LOL

I would definitely want Weir in Season 5, she makes Atlantis more rounded cos she is a civilian and that she is a woman.

Falcon Horus
February 3rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
Falcon, what are you implying with your sig?? :D!! LOL

Which part? Cause the images are on rotation...

Jeff O'Connor
February 3rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
I'm also rather surprised that Mallozzi was so straightforward about that. I guess every now and then, he decides to be no-nonsense and just let speculation drown. That or he's pulling our leg, but I somehow doubt it this time.

JackHarkness_Hot
February 3rd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Which part? Cause the images are on rotation...

All your rotation is of one thing... Heightmeyer and Teyla ROFLMAO!

Falcon Horus
February 3rd, 2008, 06:11 AM
All your rotation is of one thing... Heightmeyer and Teyla ROFLMAO!

Oh... yeah, right. To answer your question... Kate/Teyla is my OTP. They are my favorite characters and there's no one else besides them.

Well, there's Elizabeth of course, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here. I like the women on SGA (except Carter), even if they lack in the development-section.

jelgate
February 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM
Oh... yeah, right. To answer your question... Kate/Teyla is my OTP. They are my favorite characters and there's no one else besides them.Well, there's Elizabeth of course, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here. I like the women on SGA (except Carter), even if they lack in the development-section.So that means you like Keller.

SGFerrit
February 3rd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty sure Falcon has said before that she doesn't mind Keller. Sorry if I'm wrong:o

justhere1971
February 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
I'm pretty sure Falcon has said before that she doesn't mind Keller. Sorry if I'm wrong:o

I think your right. She likes Keller as well.

jelgate
February 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
I think your right. She likes Keller as well.I guess I'm not able to tease posters. *steals justhere1971's Sheppard voodo doll*

justhere1971
February 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
I guess I'm not able to tease posters. *steals justhere1971's Sheppard voodo doll*

*bops Jel* not so fast. The Shep Doll is ALL for me, thankyouverymuch. :D

marielabbott
February 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
A surprise cameo, like in BAMSR? They've done it once, there's always a possibility they could do it again...

I'm not disappointed by that. Frankly, I think she was wasted in the position of expedition commander (just as Carter has been in Season 4). When the character was introduced, such a big deal was made of her experience in diplomacy and particular note was made of her linguistic abilities. Who can forget how she negotiated the balls off three Goa'uld System Lords in SG-1's "New Order?"

And yet those skills were hardly used when she got to Atlantis. Instead, she was practically chained to her desk off the gateroom, doing paperwork, herding the scientists, and getting worried whenever Team Sheppard got in trouble. In the meantime, the diplomatic work got foisted off onto Sheppard (who has zero experience in that arena) and Teyla (who certainly knows Pegasus, but has zero experience with Earth politics and the armchair quarterbacking of the IOA).

Some of the episodes that I've enjoyed the most were the ones where Weir was allowed to get out from behind the desk and do something. Going off to the Genii homeworld to make a gutsy deal for a couple of nukes in "The Siege, Part 2." Going off to the sanctuary planet to decipher the Ancient texts on the time-dilation field and save Sheppard in "Epiphany." Pleading for Atlantis's case before the IOA back on Earth in "No Man's Land." Using her mad translator skills again to help Zelenka's team figure out how to fix the Ascension machine and save Rodney in "Tao of Rodney."

These are the kinds of things she was trained for. Maybe not with space aliens out to cheat us, enslave us, or kill us, but the principles are the same. I want to see more of that.

I want to see her pushed out of her comfort zone, like she was in "The Return," where she's kicked out of her home on Atlantis, and then has to set aside her own "negotiate first" credo to join Sheppard's team to kick Replicator *ss and take back Atlantis.

I want to see her back, with a major presence in Atlantis. But I want to see her doing something meaningful with that presence. Exploring. Learning. Protecting. Growing.
And making Sheppard's jaw drop in speechless lust when he sees her in that sexy leather jacket would be a plus, too. :sheppardanime23:

You make some very good points, Scary Kitty. But I'd still love to see her back in command, and utilized well, as in some of the episodes you mentioned. But if they bring her back and do what you suggested in the bolded statement, I think I might be able to live with that, even if she isn't in command. :) We'll see what happens, I guess.

jelgate
February 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
You make some very good points, Scary Kitty. But I'd still love to see her back in command, and utilized well, as in some of the episodes you mentioned. But if they bring her back and do what you suggested in the bolded statement, I think I might be able to live with that, even if she isn't in command. :) We'll see what happens, I guess.

Don't forget about the leather *drools* In seriousness, I would like her to return but not as leader of Atlantis

Falcon Horus
February 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
So that means you like Keller.

I'm pretty sure Falcon has said before that she doesn't mind Keller.

What SGFerrit said, and Justhere1971.

I have nothing against Keller, I just think it was a miss-cast, that's all. Hey, I even wrote a fic where I paired her up with Kate. :)

sueKay
February 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Just posting to voice my support for Elizabeth!!!

Eri13
February 3rd, 2008, 01:01 PM

I agree with this for the most part, too, though I did enjoy the episodes where Elizabeth was 'in charge in charge' and she got to lay her authority down on people (Hot Zone, The Gift, Intruder, Conversion). She didn't do as much of that in season 3, though on the flip side she had more 'stuff' to do.

My favorite use of Elizabeth, though, was definitely Epiphany--if she could do more like that, I'd be content. Something like Submersion, but with her actually translating the ancient text, like she did in Echoes.

IF people want an SG crossover, then I'd say let Elizabeth do a job like Daniel. I know initially TPTB didn't want her to 'carry a gun', and I don't think that her character should fundamentally change, but I think she can grow and learn and be a bit more proactive, and I wouldn't mind it.

But I also wouldn't mind it if Season 5's finale led back to her being in the position to be commander again. Just something where we get Weir back, as a regular, as a Lantean, and involved.

Reiko
February 3rd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I hope it is more eps than this season. There is so much opportunity for this character! Let's hope for the best!

We do know there are plans to bring her back, so we off on the right foot. :)

Agreed, amen to that! :weir:

I can see a really good story arc starting towards the back end of of the S5. In the beginning of S5 maybe midway through they can show a confrontation ... a old sleeper cell of Replicator's send a drone or something. That starts them talking about Weir again. <snippy>
I know lot's of crazy theories that can't be really connected. But I am speculating.

You may call them 'crazy' but I think they're excellent ideas. Your ideas also have pretty good plot content ... like, she can't just pop up and say 'YO I IZ BACK' out of randomness (Like how randomly I just stated that) ;) Nice ideas there though.

She's an ally.

Well, for once MY reality is identical to someone else's! And I agree a hell of a lot more eppies. IMO she was only in 2 'real' eps in season four, given that in Adrift she was taking a nap for the majority of the eppie and that ten-second snippet at the end of BAMSR... And then there was the duplicate in TMC, but I count that as a full episode since TH is in a large bulk of it ;) I am also hoping for at least more than four episodes featuring her with lotsof screentime.

All these "It's not realistic for her to return as leader" etc etc comments -- I have to say, it's fiction. Not just that, it's science fiction. Beckett was killed. His body went through the gate. But he's coming back. Is that realistic? No. Half the members of SGA and SG1 have been inhabited by various alien entitites. Teyla has her connection to the Wraith. Is it realistic that they'd be trusted again? No, but they are. There is just as much possibility storywise for Weir to be brought back, to be back to 'good', to be the leader, as there is of anything else happening on this show. The sticking point is what TPTB want, and I hate to say it, but JM seems to love provoking and snarking at Weir fans too much to want to bring her back for anything more than a couple of episodes. Which is his loss.

Greenie for you - great explanation. For me SGA has always been my 'escapist' sci-fi - and while I like things to get established and consistant with awesome characters, sci-fi is what it is. And yes, JM's loss. Too bad.

Exactly. We know who Weir was...her heart, her compassion, her humor...but who is she now? Have the nanites changed her in some way or is her core still intact? Or even better...is she changed for the worse yet still has it within her to recover? That would be a powerful arc...watching not only the physical rescue of the character but the psychological and emotional one as well.

Good idea spinning there, Über. That's exactly what I'd like to see, a struggle of that sorts. My guess is the old Weir is still there. But it's definately not going to come out very easily without some little help from her friends ;)

Just curious but did anyone notice the it in the qoute? Might refer to a replicator?;). Wishful thinking I know:(.

What if it's Hermiod? xD Maybe he decided to out on the mass suicide ... Which, he is an it, isn't he? [It ... he ... whatever]

I would like to see that resolved 'full circle' too for the 100th. (Wishful thinking here.) Back to the beginning -Lizzeh is leader again, Carson CMO and Shep, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney on the main off-world team. I would also like to see Ford's storylne revisited, give him a happy ending, like send him back to Earth to go through drug rehab... Of course, his addictions to Wraith!crack can also send him to the asylum for a period of time, but ohwell. And then we can get rid of those godawful replicators and get back to the Wraith, the Genii and other races. New adventures. Squee.

Considering they had no problem shirking the rules when Sheppard and the rest defied direct military orders in "The Return", and they've been able to make us believe that the IOA still though a civilian commander was a good idea after "The Siege" series, anything is possible. I agree with above that it'll depend on what TPTB wants, not what 'makes sense'.

Yeah, TP is always changing though - one thing applies one time, it doesn't apply to another. Their loss anyway! I watch the show to follow my characters and stories and watch the awesome actors, not marvel at how TP tries to puppeteer them one hundred percent. Because I believe the actors make 75 percent of the characters and thats why we love them so much.

For me a male commander would be much easier to me to get used to than a female. Female characters usually take a long time to grow on me. As much as I am for gender equality I don't want to see another female leader unless it's Weir. I'd like to see how the others behave under a male boss.

And PC my ass - Teyla is awesome being the only girl, and if they want another girl bring back Lizzie or Cadman or Heighmeyer ... gosh. Or did TPTB forget who they were? The fact that it seems that Porter is going to be a genius twenty-something might be my biggest peeve this next season. -plays with JM voodoo doll- Gosh, we worked fine in the first three seasons, 2 females and 4 males, but more than thier gender they were unique. In that they were balanced.

My money's on Caldwell, as he almost got his hands on Sheppard's military post, and that would be a REALLY interesting conflict--Caldwell's straight up military, and has never particularly cared for the Atlantis Expedition's 'bending of the rules' when it came to saving lives. He and Sheppard would face off, and that could be fun.

Caldwell is my best bet too IMO and if I can't have Weir I hope it's him. There will be lots of fun interesting conflict, eh?

Reiko
February 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Some of the episodes that I've enjoyed the most were the ones where Weir was allowed to get out from behind the desk and do something [...] These are the kinds of things she was trained for. Maybe not with space aliens out to cheat us, enslave us, or kill us, but the principles are the same. I want to see more of that. I want to see her pushed out of her comfort zone, like she was in "The Return," where she's kicked out of her home on Atlantis, and then has to set aside her own "negotiate first" credo to join Sheppard's team to kick Replicator *ss and take back Atlantis.

I agree with this for the most part, too, though I did enjoy the episodes where Elizabeth was 'in charge in charge' and she got to lay her authority down on people (Hot Zone, The Gift, Intruder, Conversion). She didn't do as much of that in season 3, though on the flip side she had more 'stuff' to do.

I also agrree with Scary Kitty and Eri13 indefinately. The episodes in the seasons where she got to go out and negotiate, decipher, check things out etc. were some of the best. And she didn't even need a gun to look good :cool:

Scary Kitty
February 3rd, 2008, 07:26 PM

My favorite use of Elizabeth, though, was definitely Epiphany--if she could do more like that, I'd be content. Something like Submersion, but with her actually translating the ancient text, like she did in Echoes.

Yes, I think as long as she could do more useful things with her skillset on a regular basis, not just sitting at her desk doing paperwork or seeing teams off through the Gate, I'd be happy.

IF people want an SG crossover, then I'd say let Elizabeth do a job like Daniel. I know initially TPTB didn't want her to 'carry a gun', and I don't think that her character should fundamentally change, but I think she can grow and learn and be a bit more proactive, and I wouldn't mind it.

Her experiences, especially in Season 1 when they were completely cut off from Earth, appear to have taught her that sometimes, force is necessary to defend oneself and protect those who are unable to protect themselves. As for her carrying a gun, well, she was carrying a P-90 in "The Return," and I suppose she could always carry a Wraith stunner... I recall reading a fanfic where John wouldn't let her off-world if she didn't carry a gun, so Ronon gave her a gun like his; she could keep it on the "stun" setting, but she had the option to go to lethal force if she had to defend herself.

But I also wouldn't mind it if Season 5's finale led back to her being in the position to be commander again. Just something where we get Weir back, as a regular, as a Lantean, and involved.

I love the "coming full circle" idea. That would be so fitting, especially for the 100th episode. *sighs* We can only hope...

SMB_BOOKS
February 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
ScaryKitty and Eri13 - I like what you've had to say about the possibilities for Elizabeth in Season 5.

As I saw someone else on another thread say (for the life of me, can't remember who) the Atlantis command position has become the "Defense Against the Dark Arts" position of Atlantis. Not sure I'd want Elizabeth back in that role right away.

If she was able to fulfill another role on the expedition that allowed her to participate more, demonstrate her talents, etc, I might be okay with that - depending on how it was done.

marielabbott
February 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
ScaryKitty and Eri13 - I like what you've had to say about the possibilities for Elizabeth in Season 5.

As I saw someone else on another thread say (for the life of me, can't remember who) the Atlantis command position has become the "Defense Against the Dark Arts" position of Atlantis. Not sure I'd want Elizabeth back in that role right away.

If she was able to fulfill another role on the expedition that allowed her to participate more, demonstrate her talents, etc, I might be okay with that - depending on how it was done.

I was the one who made the Harry Potter connection. ;) And I am in agreement with your statement.

Willow'sCat
February 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry but the chance that Weir even could return as commander is zero. She is a security risk.I think really she is dead so this whole thing of suggesting Weir could come back to Atlantis and just continue on is misplaced.

I don't think tptb want her to be on Atlantis like that, they seem to want her to be the enemy and I for one am happy to see that, as it probably means less Weir all together in season 5 then we had in season 4.

And yes she would be a security risk if she was still alive but full of nanites. Unless fans really want to see another lame storyline in Atlantis where they manage to rid her of them *by some miracle* I guess if it involves your fave character it no longer becomes a lame idea though like the back from the dead crap is suddenly the bestest idea ever! ;):cool::rolleyes:

Scary Kitty
February 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM

Heh! Yeah, that is a really appropriate comparsion. Kudos to marielabbott for pointing it out. :weiranime17:

I could see her turning the position down if it was offered to her, at least at first. Basically telling the IOA that their meddling and questioning her every decision while expecting the impossible out of her made the job intolerable (I mean, seriously, aren't there laws against oppressive working conditions?), and if they want her back in the head office, they're going to have to back off and let her do it her way. Then she sits back and lets them sweat it out for however long it takes for the obvious to sink into their thick skulls. The IOA finally agrees to her demands, Lizzie gets her city back, and order is restored in the Universe. :weiranime20:

I think really she is dead so this whole thing of suggesting Weir could come back to Atlantis and just continue on is misplaced.

I don't think tptb want her to be on Atlantis like that, they seem to want her to be the enemy and I for one am happy to see that, as it probably means less Weir all together in season 5 then we had in season 4.

And yes she would be a security risk if she was still alive but full of nanites. Unless fans really want to see another lame storyline in Atlantis where they manage to rid her of them *by some miracle* I guess if it involves your fave character it no longer becomes a lame idea though like the back from the dead crap is suddenly the bestest idea ever! ;):cool::rolleyes:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but TPTB have already written in a backdoor to restoring HybridWeir back to fully human. In "Adrift," McKay suggested it might be possible for the nanites to be reprogrammed to repair the tissue damage organically rather than replacing the damaged areas with nanite cells, and in "Miller's Crossing" we see that goal accomplished with the Earth-made nanites using Replicator coding. At that point, keeping the nanites active is no longer necessary to maintain life support and they can be shut down, just as Weir's were in "The Real World" and Jeannie Miller's in "Miller's Crossing." And no one in Stargate Command or the IOA seemed to have a problem with letting either Weir or Jeannie run around with inactive nanites in their systems after TRW and MC.

If TPTB truly didn't want to leave even the possibility of Weir returning like this, then they would not have established the precedent that will allow Weir to stay if those conditions are met.

So I guess that makes TPTB "lame" according to your definition, doesn't it? That's okay. Us Weir fans think they're pretty lame, too. ;)

Ice Wolf
February 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I think if Elizabeth comes back it will have to be in a new role.

Whilst i liked her as leader of the expedition, she really shined when they had her get her hands dirty. When it comes down to it she really is a lot like Daniel and I think going off world on missions translating stuff figuring out things and interacting with Pegasus cultures would be a much better use of Weir.

Willow'sCat
February 3rd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but TPTB have already written in a backdoor to restoring HybridWeir back to fully human. Well I still think tptb are not happy with Weir as a character so in all likely hood if she returns for more then a few eps it will not be canon real Weir it will be canon replicator Weir and she will probably be nuts! :p I can see that working.:)

But tptb really do seem to not like Weir as a member of Atlantis as we knew her. ;)

I guess we will just have to wait until tomorrow. ;)

Wormhole
February 4th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Taps fingers on edge of keyboard impatiently, still waiting for news on casting:p.

sofie
February 4th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Taps fingers on edge of keyboard impatiently, still waiting for news on casting:p.

lol same here!!
I just hope she's in more episodes than last season... :mckay:

SMB_BOOKS
February 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I was the one who made the Harry Potter connection. ;) And I am in agreement with your statement.

LOL - thanks for helping my poor memory out!

Suzotchka
February 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Well, we know that Torri will be back it's just a question of in what capacity.

Irish Eyes
February 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Well, we know that Torri will be back it's just a question of in what capacity.

I just hope her status is addressed in the press release because if it's not, we're back to hoping JM drops us some hints. And I really hate that.

Briangate78
February 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I just hope her status is addressed in the press release because if it's not, we're back to hoping JM drops us some hints. And I really hate that.

If she is not in the press release, don't be too upset. Reasoning is, they still might need to approach her for those episodes. I do hope she is mentioned as continuing her recurring role.

Willow'sCat
February 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
If she is not in the press release, don't be too upset. Reasoning is, they still might need to approach her for those episodes. I do hope she is mentioned as continuing her recurring role.
If it isn't mentioned then I am thinking she may not be in the first half, they will probably split the filming again this year so they will probably work on scripts solely for the first half (first).

But yeah I think it would be better to release something now or else fans will just get upset and I can't imagine the mess on Joe Ms blog that would follow... well I can. :p:D

mcat
February 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I am pretty much with Scary Kitty... I wish (obviously) that they had never gotten rid of Elizabeth in the first place, but at this point I'd honestly love to see her come back and be on a team. Sheppard's team, if I got my way. :D She could go offworld, do diplomatic/linguistic/exploring stuff, I think it would be awesome to see her in that capacity.

Suzotchka
February 4th, 2008, 03:46 PM
JM posted on his blog that there's no announcement til tomorrow.

Ripple in Space
February 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I hope she comes back as the leader, but not as a star. Hammond was the only one that could pull off non-team star.

Weir & Beckett should come back as featured guests (and expedition members) for many eps, but NOT all of them.

mr_kennedy
February 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I am pretty much with Scary Kitty... I wish (obviously) that they had never gotten rid of Elizabeth in the first place, but at this point I'd honestly love to see her come back and be on a team. Sheppard's team, if I got my way. :D She could go offworld, do diplomatic/linguistic/exploring stuff, I think it would be awesome to see her in that capacity.

so u want a daniel jackson v2? why not just bring in jackson for that role :daniel:

Wormhole
February 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
JM posted on his blog that there's no announcement til tomorrow.

That tomorrow has arrived here;):D.

mcat
February 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM
so u want a daniel jackson v2? why not just bring in jackson for that role :daniel:
Because she's a great character in her own right and I like her better than Jackson anyway. :P Besides, Daniel was more of an archaeology and linguistics guy. He wasn't really a diplomat (though he was certainly more diplomatic than Jack).

Frankly there are certain scifi archetypal characters that show up all the time on shows. I mean, suppose I were to describe Ronon as being the tough, manly, strong fighter on the team. Why not just bring in Teal'c to replace him? Because while they have some of the same roles, they're not the same character.

Suzotchka
February 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
From GW's front page:

DENIED: The writers are bringing back Torri Higginson.
Well, yes and no. She won't rejoin the cast as a series regular and will not be commanding Atlantis again, but the actress behind Dr. Elizabeth Weir will return as a guest star for an on-going story arc in Season Five. Check out the last 60 seconds of "Be All My Sins Remember'd" for more on that.

KGX2001
February 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
So basically we have no new information...I'm interested in hearing about this arch she's in.

Livingstone
February 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Weir obviously wasn't coming back as Atlantis commander, so i hoped the new commander would be Woolsey and guess what, he is! LOL That will be fun.

I DO want more info on Weir though! And soon!!! I'm starting to doubt she'll be back at all.

Eri13
February 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Weir obviously wasn't coming back as Atlantis commander, so i hoped the new commander would be Woolsey and guess what, he is! LOL That will be fun.

I DO want more info on Weir though! And soon!!! I'm starting to doubt she'll be back at all.

I don't think the lack of info on Weir was anything to be terribly concerned about yet. JM has confirmed they're planning an arc around Weir for the back half of the season, with Torri, though no official announcements have been made.

I just went back and checked the S4 casting announcement Presser, and all it mentioned was that Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite would be joining. The information about Carson coming back for his two-parter was officially made August 8th--2 months before the Season 4 debut. We may not hear anything official on Weir until perhaps April or beyond--even to August, depending on when Season 5 debuts.

Hopefully we'll get something more concrete, official or unofficial, when they've spoken with Torri and hammered down those episodes. *crosses fingers*

Wormhole
February 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think the lack of info on Weir was anything to be terribly concerned about yet. JM has confirmed they're planning an arc around Weir for the back half of the season, with Torri, though no official announcements have been made.

I just went back and checked the S4 casting announcement Presser, and all it mentioned was that Amanda Tapping and Jewel Staite would be joining. The information about Carson coming back for his two-parter was officially made August 8th--2 months before the Season 4 debut. We may not hear anything official on Weir until perhaps April or beyond--even to August, depending on when Season 5 debuts.

Hopefully we'll get something more concrete, official or unofficial, when they've spoken with Torri and hammered down those episodes. *crosses fingers*

Ditto :D. We shouldn't feel let down yet... it is just the beginning:P;).

And I'm not ready to hang up my coat yet:D.

mcat
February 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Man, you people make it hard to be pessimistic... :P

Suzotchka
February 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
We need to get Torri/Weir into the 100th episode!!

jenks
February 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM

No, we really don't.

Eri13
February 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Would that be a snazzy brownish-black leather coat with red stripes? :D

Man, you people make it hard to be pessimistic... :P

Anything to keep up the faith we'll see a great character again. ;)

Wormhole
February 5th, 2008, 12:18 PM
mcat - Man, you people make it hard to be pessimistic...

We try:D.

Would that be a snazzy brownish-black leather coat with red stripes? :D

:eek: Caught red handed. Grabs coat and *runs*:p

marielabbott
February 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Wow, just visited JM's blog. :S Glad I'm not him today. I hope he answers your question, Wormhole! I politely pleaded for her to be in the 100th episode (and many more). ;)

Hyperspace
February 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Great idea!!!! I wonder how long Woolsey will last, I realize it's highly wishful but I'd like to see Dr. Weir back as commander, or at least on Atlantis for an extended run in some capacity.

justhere1971
February 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Wow, just visited JM's blog. :S Glad I'm not him today. I hope he answers your question, Wormhole! I politely pleaded for her to be in the 100th episode (and many more). ;)

I am scared to wander over there today. Would you be interested in recapping? Please? :D

timtonruben359
February 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM
From JM's Blog

5. No mention of the Weir character

I’ve already stated our intention to pay off the storyline we hinted at in Be All My Sins Remember’d. We have the story in place and, once a deal is closed, you’ll be the first to hear about it.

So it looks they are in talks with Torri...though it seems we'll only have her back for 1 episode :(

Livingstone
February 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah it does seem to be a 1 episode thing... Damn.

doylefan22
February 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM

I am not venturing anywhere near that place for the foreseeable future.

I'm just hoping they at very least continue Weir's story and don't do a Ford with her. I think she's a slightly better position than he was because she's not potentially dead (easy way for the writers to ignore her) and there's obviously some resolution that needs to happen with the characters.

I can't help but thinking however that if they got rid of Keller (who hasn't really gelled with the fans at all - don't think I've ever seen a bunch of Stargate fans be so simply apathetic to a main character) then we could potentially have more Weir and more Beckett with the screen time and money freed up.

Platschu
February 5th, 2008, 03:43 PM
5. No mention of the Weir character

I’ve already stated our intention to pay off the storyline we hinted at in Be All My Sins Remember’d. We have the story in place and, once a deal is closed, you’ll be the first to hear about it.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/february-5-2008-extra-extra-read-all-about-it/

Killdeer
February 5th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Sounds like one episode to me. I was hoping for at least a two parter. :S That's really really disappointing. :(

Platschu
February 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
You don't have to be sad. They mentioned earlier "storyline", not a "stand alone", so it means Weir will return for more episode. I hope so. :o

Suzotchka
February 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
See for me "storyline" means more than 1 episode. I'm hoping she returns for at least 4. Same as S4. Would I like more? Yes, but we need to be realistic. I'll start with 4 and hope for more. :) (hey! That rhymes! :P )

Scary Kitty
February 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM
See for me "storyline" means more than 1 episode. I'm hoping she returns for at least 4. Same as S4. Would I like more? Yes, but we need to be realistic. I'll start with 4 and hope for more. :) (hey! That rhymes! :P )

*giggles at the rhyming*

I agree, and even JM's "story" in today's blog entry could easily mean more than one episode. A two-parter? Three or four connected episodes (not necessarily one right after the other, but spread out over the second half)? Could the 100th episode be one of them? Maybe with a tie-in to plans for Season 6 and the REAL return of Weir, full-time? Any of these is possible.

So there is still hope. Because now we know that...

:weir: WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5!!!!! :weir:

Suzotchka
February 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I made a post here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7679909&postcount=3595

In case anyone's interested in writing letters to get Torri/Weir back for the 100th episode.

PG15
February 5th, 2008, 04:55 PM
No, we really don't.

Hmm...no, we do.

jenks
February 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hmm...no, we do.

Obviously not.

marielabbott
February 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I am scared to wander over there today. Would you be interested in recapping? Please? :D

It was a little scary. :S I've read so much stuff today about SGA, it's all blurring in my mind. ;) It was perhaps evenly split between those who like Woolsey and those who don't, a lot of people seemed to be disappointed that Carson is only in 5 eps, and there were a lot of posts wondering why Weir wasn't mentioned in the press release. I guess the usual mix, but with much higher emotions. :S The wording of his answer about Weir makes me think they may not have locked the number of eps yet, so I say those who want her back still continue to write polite comments and letters.

SMB_BOOKS
February 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
:weir: WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! :weir:

Press Release? I don't need no stinkin press release.....

We want more than Season 4. Give us 5 in Season 5? Nah, I want more than 5.

Sharpens her pencil to start writing letters again.......

Elizabeth is going to make a return appearance in Season 5. I think it will be for a lot less screentime than I wanted (obviously she's not coming back as a regular character next Season). BUT, I still have hope that she'll be back for more than a brief glimpse.

I want Elizabeth's story to be continued.

Mitchell82
February 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
:weir: WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! :weir:

Elizabeth is going to make a return appearance in Season 5. I think it will be for a lot less screentime than I wanted (obviously she's not coming back as a regular character next Season). BUT, I still have hope that she'll be back for more than a brief glimpse.

I doubt that very much.I truly don't see more than 2 eps and while I do understand your frustration IMO more than 3 is too much. All I want is it to be concluded and not left open.

sspader
February 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I might get flamed for this...or mod snipped...I don't know.

BUT.

I don't see Woolsey as commander, and as we've seen....the two previous ladies in the captains chair, had to once or twice or more...go on missions. THUS putting themselves in line for their team, which is lovely and awesome of course.

I just don't see it with Woolsey...he'll just...well....do the same thing as he did in The Return Pt.2

Here's what I see.....he will be, in the forthcoming season..Commander. He will see things, he will experience things. Will he be able to adjust, or be able to step up?? I don't know. They WILL find Elizabeth, and they will cure her and bring her back.

She and Woolsey will have a talk, after her months of rehab. He will give this speech, and tell her what he has gone through. He will tell her that he respects her highly, even more than before, for being able to do this day in and day out for 3 full years. What will be the final few words he says before gating back to the SGC??

"I kept it warm for you"

Willow'sCat
February 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM
WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5! WEIR'S ALIVE IN SEASON 5!
I think she is still dead and I think Joe really does mean one story...;) it could be a two parter; but I am thinking she is being written out completely by the end of season 5.

Chrysalis
February 5th, 2008, 11:20 PM
It was a little scary. :S I've read so much stuff today about SGA, it's all blurring in my mind. ;) It was perhaps evenly split between those who like Woolsey and those who don't, a lot of people seemed to be disappointed that Carson is only in 5 eps, and there were a lot of posts wondering why Weir wasn't mentioned in the press release. I guess the usual mix, but with much higher emotions. :S The wording of his answer about Weir makes me think they may not have locked the number of eps yet, so I say those who want her back still continue to write polite comments and letters.

Don't forget to add that those who mentioned Elizabeth and asked why she hadn't been mentioned were in some cases told to basically rack off and go somewhere else. Like nobody's allowed to have an opinion except the people who agree with everything JM says.

It's not worth even looking at the comments there now. If you dare to disagree with anything Joe says, someone will attack you for it. I think those who see themselves as 'regular' posters there have this air of possession about them. As though he's 'theirs', and only they are allowed to ask questions, etc. And those questions must all, of course be positively skewed.

Eri13
February 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/february-5-2008-extra-extra-read-all-about-it/

This doesn't sound like one eppy to me at all. He uses the term 'storyline', which indicates there's more to it than meets the eye. It'll be really hard to effectively explain everything, deal with the angst of seeing Weir again, including the repli/clone/real Weir question, and resolve it in 42 minutes.

The fact that they're working a deal seems to indicate more than one episode. The fact that its towards the end of the season is promising, too. Perhaps we will get Weir in episode 100.

I felt like that yesterday. Unsure of whether to be excited or delete SGA from the series record on my DVR (I compromised and deleted all reruns, as I have them on DVD). ;)

Me too, and as for the press release--I looked up last year's release for cast announcements, and all that was mentioned was the additional of Amanda and Jewel.

The official presser announcing Carson's return came August 8--two months before the season aired. I'm expecting the same announcing Torri's return. As it was obvious from Pegasus 3 last week that Torri hadn't been approached, they wouldn't include her in a press release until some kind of deal is made. Everyone else's return had been solidified (they've worked deals with PM and MS, and Amanda has told them she'll guest star in a few--I'm even betting MS's eppies are the midseason two parter.)

Torri'll get a presser all to herself. :)

One other thing--though Joe M. has not been, IMO, coddling to Weir fans, the fact that he listed that question as one of the top 5 of the day, and that he says 'you'll be the first to hear about it' when the deal is closed is an indication they're aware of the interest/support. Whether that has an impact on how much or how long she'll be a part of the story remains to be seen, but the fact he's addressing it when nothing has been finalized (a risky move for production, because there's no guarantee the actor will return) shows he wants to keep that interest up.

I don't want to speculate about where it'll lead, because I don't want my hopes up and with these PTB anything can happen--including death. But then again, Kolya was shot point blank and his response to that was 'this is sci-fi, anything can happen'. So I'll keep my hopes at that.

Torri012
February 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM
oooh.. thanks GIRLZ for making this thread *already in love with it* :D :D

god, they really better bring lizzie back otherwise i'm gonna protest badly *lol*

marielabbott
February 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Don't forget to add that those who mentioned Elizabeth and asked why she hadn't been mentioned were in some cases told to basically rack off and go somewhere else. Like nobody's allowed to have an opinion except the people who agree with everything JM says.

It's not worth even looking at the comments there now. If you dare to disagree with anything Joe says, someone will attack you for it. I think those who see themselves as 'regular' posters there have this air of possession about them. As though he's 'theirs', and only they are allowed to ask questions, etc. And those questions must all, of course be positively skewed.

Almost every post I've made over there has concerned Weir in some way, and so far I haven't been attacked. Well, that I've seen anyway, because I don't always have time to read all the comments. I do try to be really polite though, kind of like I am when I deal with the administration at my workplace, when I have suggestions or concerns. ;) JM even dedicated a blog to me this week, after I sent a polite SEW letter and chocolates to Bridge. I wasn't expecting that, and so far no one's attacked me for that, plus being an "anti" (I even told JM I had anti leanings). But yeah, there are attacks going on over there too; there often are. :S So far I guess I've been lucky to not get flamed, but I do try to be very polite and stay out of the worst of it. :S

Mitchell82
February 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think she is still dead and I think Joe really does mean one story...;) it could be a two parter; but I am thinking she is being written out completely by the end of season 5.

I have to agree with you.

jenks
February 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I might get flamed for this...or mod snipped...I don't know.

BUT.

I don't see Woolsey as commander, and as we've seen....the two previous ladies in the captains chair, had to once or twice or more...go on missions. THUS putting themselves in line for their team, which is lovely and awesome of course.

I just don't see it with Woolsey...he'll just...well....do the same thing as he did in The Return Pt.2

Here's what I see.....he will be, in the forthcoming season..Commander. He will see things, he will experience things. Will he be able to adjust, or be able to step up?? I don't know. They WILL find Elizabeth, and they will cure her and bring her back.

She and Woolsey will have a talk, after her months of rehab. He will give this speech, and tell her what he has gone through. He will tell her that he respects her highly, even more than before, for being able to do this day in and day out for 3 full years. What will be the final few words he says before gating back to the SGC??

"I kept it warm for you"

They never had to, they just chose to.

PG15
February 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
As a resident "regular" of JM's blog, I can honestly say that, 99% of the time, the "attacks" are against people who were being complete jackasses about their opinions, whatever they may be.

Platschu
February 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I will be disappointed if she can't return for the 100th episode.

Maybe a heretic idea, but can you imagine Weir's return so that she will be only a member, not the leader of the expedition? I know it would be disappointed for her to lost the control, but why should she return to Earth? I think Elizabeth is braver, so she can stay as an Ancient language specialist or politics adviser. :)

marielabbott
February 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
As a resident "regular" of JM's blog, I can honestly say that, 99% of the time, the "attacks" are against people who were being complete jackasses about their opinions, whatever they may be.

If you're polite over there, I think most people respect that and leave you alone. I have to really hand it to JM for putting up with an awful lot of crap on his blog. I would just not bother after the 100,000 hateful comment.

Anyway, what do you think Elizabeth is doing with her replicator friends at this very moment? :)

jelgate
February 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
If you're polite over there, I think most people respect that and leave you alone.?* I have to really hand it to JM for putting up with an awful lot of crap on his blog.?* I would just not bother after the 100,000 hateful comment.Anyway, what do you think Elizabeth is doing with her replicator friends at this very moment? :)Having her leather jacket measured *drools*

marielabbott
February 6th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Having her leather jacket measured *drools*

But she already has a jacket, a very nice leather one. :D

Scary Kitty
February 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Having her leather jacket measured *drools*

But she already has a jacket, a very nice leather one. :D

Yep. Instead, she's getting measured for leather trousers. If you look very closely at the scene in BAMSR, you can see that her trousers are not slick and shiny like the jacket. So she definitely needs leather trousers to go with the jacket.

*joins jelgate in drooling*

Rydell
February 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I feel.. I KNOW this is a serious blow to Stargate Atlantis in general Elizabeth Weir was my all time favorite character. It's so sad to see her go.. I really am not happy with this development! First Becket and Now Weir... like.... GOD.. Who's next Sheppard? :mad: She needs to remain she was pivitol in giving Atlantis it's own uniqueness. I'm going to have to make some music videos and post them on youtube for more protest...

PS: First post I know, but I joined so I could talk about this..

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Hi Rydell and welcome!

I understand how you feel. It's a huge disappointment.

I feel.. I KNOW this is a serious blow to Stargate Atlantis in general Elizabeth Weir was my all time favorite character. It's so sad to see her go.. I really am not happy with this development! First Becket and Now Weir... like.... GOD.. Who's next Sheppard? :mad: She needs to remain she was pivitol in giving Atlantis it's own uniqueness. I'm going to have to make some music videos and post them on youtube for more protest...

PS: First post I know, but I joined so I could talk about this..

justhere1971
February 7th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Yep. Instead, she's getting measured for leather trousers. If you look very closely at the scene in BAMSR, you can see that her trousers are not slick and shiny like the jacket. So she definitely needs leather trousers to go with the jacket.

*joins jelgate in drooling*

I keep thinking of squeaky pants. :D

justhere1971
February 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM

I will agree with that. But at that same time (my disclaimer here - I have not been a regular for at least 3/4 months now, so don't know for sure) he was answering people who were being inflammatory. I wish he'd just either not release those comments/not reply to them at all. He's doing an unique thing by being so vocal in his blog, that gives the fans an opportunity to know the show like no others ... but I wonder some time if that's actually harming things, you know?

Rydell
February 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Rydell and welcome!

I understand how you feel. It's a huge disappointment.
I'm glad, but I hope when they read our Save Elizabeth Weir media they realize we mean full time not just for a few episodes! I don't want them to pull a carson or aidan ford with us!! I'll post a link to my youtube page once I get the Save Elizabeth Weir Music Video done! :weir:

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm glad, but I hope when they read our Save Elizabeth Weir media they realize we mean full time not just for a few episodes! I don't want them to pull a carson or aidan ford with us!! I'll post a link to my youtube page once I get the Save Elizabeth Weir Music Video done! :weir:

Well, unfortunately Torri will not be back as a regular cast member in season 5. We still don't know how many episodes she'll be in. But I encourage everyone who's upset to write polite letters expressing their disappointment to SciFi, MGM and Bridge.

Feel free to join us in the SEW thread in the fandom folder.

SMB_BOOKS
February 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Anyway, what do you think Elizabeth is doing with her replicator friends at this very moment? :)

Cloning leather jackets? ;)

Or, on a more plausible note.....

*Searching out Ancient research facilities in PG, learning everything they can about Ascension.

*Continuing the plan to eradicate the Wraith, in a more clandestine way that does not involve destroying human worlds or settlements.

*Finding a new location for and then building Atlantis' sister-city.

Any one of those would offer the opportunity for stories that could be woven throughout Season 5, with resolution happening by that magical 100th episode. ;)

Rydell
February 7th, 2008, 10:46 AM
This is terrible, terrible... Just unacceptable. "Atlantis" is no longer "Atlantis" Without DR WEIR. Like what the heck are they thinking..... :weiranime22: I however do have a feeling that something along the lines of this will happen.

Weir would have been taken captive by rogue replicators (like in mortal coil) and they turned to her because when she was captured they interrogated her and a group of them had the same values. So they took her in a secret aurora class vessel so they could work on something.. It could be anything but it's the really Weir. Maybe the rogue replicators that took her staged her death by making a copy and killing it so now they have the real thing and are working on something so secret it could decide the fate of the pegeasus so they couldn't risk contacting Atlantis!! And that's why in Mortal Coil they thought she was dead but really another group of rogue replicators took her!

Mitchell82
February 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I will be disappointed if she can't return for the 100th episode.

Maybe a heretic idea, but can you imagine Weir's return so that she will be only a member, not the leader of the expedition? I know it would be disappointed for her to lost the control, but why should she return to Earth? I think Elizabeth is braver, so she can stay as an Ancient language specialist or politics adviser. :)
That only works for me if the real Weir is still alive which I doubt.

SMB_BOOKS
February 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
That only works for me if the real Weir is still alive which I doubt.

Just curious - why do you think the real Weir is dead? Is it a "gut feeling" or have you seen something in the eps that has led you to that conclusion? (Other than RepliKeller's statement in TMC).

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Considering JM said that even they don't know if the 'real' Weir is alive or not, there's no way that any of us can say for sure one way or another.

Eri13
February 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Cloning leather jackets? ;)

Or, on a more plausible note.....

*Searching out Ancient research facilities in PG, learning everything they can about Ascension.

*Continuing the plan to eradicate the Wraith, in a more clandestine way that does not involve destroying human worlds or settlements.

*Finding a new location for and then building Atlantis' sister-city.

Any one of those would offer the opportunity for stories that could be woven throughout Season 5, with resolution happening by that magical 100th episode. ;)

I would add:

*being mentally possessed by Niam's nanites (who overtook the real Weir's mind and are using her human memories/humanity to research ascension)

Platschu
February 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I think RepliKeller lied. ;)

What was the "the informations were correct" sentence in Weir's scene? Does she have a spy in the Atlantis expedition, who gave information about the attack to save her and the believer replicators? It would be so funny if Larrin is the double agent. ;)

SMB_BOOKS
February 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Considering JM said that even they don't know if the 'real' Weir is alive or not, there's no way that any of us can say for sure one way or another.

100% agreed.

I know that when I say it will be the "real Elizabeth Weir" that we see in Season 5, that I may be wrong. I hope I'm not, but I admit it's a possibility.

Just like I know that for folks who feel who we saw in BAMSR is NOT the "real Elizabeth" they too may be surprised when Season 5 airs.

jelgate
February 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I think the whole point that we don't know. It could be an Asuran or it could be the nanite infected Weir.

Fenrir Foxz
February 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I think the whole point that we don't know. It could be an Asuran or it could be the nanite infected Weir.

:indeed: I'm still leaning towards her being the original Weir...

sofie
February 7th, 2008, 02:15 PM
:indeed: I'm still leaning towards her being the original Weir...

Same here, I think repli-Keller's a big liar :D

Mitchell82
February 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM
100% agreed.

I know that when I say it will be the "real Elizabeth Weir" that we see in Season 5, that I may be wrong. I hope I'm not, but I admit it's a possibility.

Just like I know that for folks who feel who we saw in BAMSR is NOT the "real Elizabeth" they too may be surprised when Season 5 airs.

You could be right. The only reason I'm not 100% is because I feel Oberoth wouldn't risk leaving her alive.

Fenrir Foxz
February 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Same here, I think repli-Keller's a big liar :D

I dunno about liar...
Pure speculation:
I think the Original Weir escaped after Oberoth decided she was too dangerous to keep alive... The unhealthy influence Weir exerts on Replicators could have turned the Asurans sent to kill her who then helped her escape and fed Oberoth misinformation... *I would really like this to be the case anyway :)*

At this point though there is little to nothing to say for sure if that was the original Weir in BAMSR or whether she is good/evil... But we can hope :)

Mitchell82
February 7th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I dunno about liar...
Pure speculation:
I think the Original Weir escaped after Oberoth decided she was too dangerous to keep alive... The unhealthy influence Weir exerts on Replicators could have turned the Asurans sent to kill her who then helped her escape and fed Oberoth misinformation... *I would really like this to be the case anyway :)*

At this point though there is little to nothing to say for sure if that was the original Weir in BAMSR or whether she is good/evil... But we can hope :)
I like that scenario.

KGX2001
February 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM

When did he say this?:confused:

Sounds like they're still bouncing ideas, or at least I hope they are. I will be royally pissed if they get rid of Weir permanently in season 5.

Ice Wolf
February 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Sounds like they're still bouncing ideas, or at least I hope they are. I will be royally pissed if they get rid of Weir permanently in season 5.

TBH I would have thought that they would at least know who we saw at the end of BAMSR.

For some reason i can see them being half-arsed on this one. JM wanted Carson back and he's only getting 5 eps, and we kind of know his feelings towards Weir.

I'd love to see Weir playing a significant role throughout the back half, but under the current PTB I know I'm dreaming.

mcat
February 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I dunno about liar...
Pure speculation:

My own personal theory is similar to yours,
I think Elizabeth could have escaped, possibly with the help of one or a few rogue Replicators, and then Oberoth lied and told everyone that he killed her because he wouldn't exactly have wanted it to get out that she had gotten away.

I'm still pondering on who the 'people' on the ship with her could be...

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM

He said it a while ago in his blog. That it all depended on which PTB you asked.

Scary Kitty
February 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
You could be right. The only reason I'm not 100% is because I feel Oberoth wouldn't risk leaving her alive.

I dunno about liar...
Pure speculation:

I agree with both of you, and I think both of your points actually work together instead of against each other...
Let's think about this for a moment. The original Elizabeth Weir, whose last known appearance was in "Lifeline," is, to our knowledge, the first and only human-Replicator hybrid.

Before anyone protests about the clones from "This Mortal Coil," remember, the clones of Weir and Team Shep were fully human, constructed by nanites, with a few nanites remaining in their systems to repair their bodies in case of injury (which is what McKay originally planned to do with Weir's nanites in "Adrift," he simply ran out of time).

But HybridWeir was/is, as McKay pointed out, no longer entirely human; her nanites had integrated themselves into her body, replacing her damaged brain tissue and other injuries with themselves. She could connect to the Replicator collective just as easily as any full Replicator such as Oberoth or Niam could, to the point that she successfully pulled a fake-out on Oberoth and the other Replicators.

It is because she is so dangerous and disruptive that Oberoth would be a fool to kill her immediately. The original Weir's transformation into a hybrid was an accident that came out of a desperate attempt to save her life. But after what happened in "Lifeline," the humans have seen what a hybrid can do against full Replicators, and they might attempt to deliberately create more hybrids to use as weapons against the Replicators. Oberoth would want to study HybridWeir, learn all he can about what she can do in order to create defenses that would prevent similar hybrids from causing havoc with the collective in the future. And in order to fully examine all her capabilities, the Replicators would have to keep her alive, at least for a while.

Which takes us to the end of "Lifeline," when Atlantis's long range sensors pick up the mass launch of the Replicator fleet after the Wraith attack program is activated. At most, it's only a few hours after Weir's capture, which makes it very likely that she's still alive and being examined by the Replicators. The activation of the Wraith attack program no doubt threw Oberoth's control of the Replicator collective into chaos; either Weir herself or the pro-Ascension Replicators that we saw in TMC (or both working together) could have taken advantage of the opportunity to slip away from Asuras in the Aurora-class ship we saw in BAMSR, and later split up in order to make it harder for Oberoth to track them down... Weir could've pulled another fake-out on Oberoth, making him believe that he had killed her, or, alternately, if she is now in command of the pro-Ascension Replicators, she herself could have planted the idea that she is dead, in order to keep Sheppard and the others from looking for her (as part of her "plan" that she hints at in BAMSR).

It's just one possible scenario. But it is possible.

Eri13
February 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I dunno about liar...
Pure speculation:

There was also this possibility brought up:

The entire scenario of fake Atlantis was not Oberoth's design, but the design of the Weir we saw at the end of BAMSR. Keller told the clone of Weir the real Weir was dead so she could in turn communicate it to the real Atlantis folk, knowing they would believe her.

The plan was to get the Replicator hard drive into the hands of the Atlantis folks; BAMSR!Weir did it by creating a plausible scenario for John and the others so they wouldn't doubt the authenticity of it. She also made sure John and the others believed Weir was dead so that they would not have any hesitation in destroying the Replicator homeworld (we know that John is generally loathe to leave anyone behind--what if he'd had lingering doubts about Elizabeth still being on Asuras? By being told she was 'dead', all doubts are gone.)

Some Weir fans don't think Weir would go so far as to destroy an entire city and clones just to assist from the shadows, but as I mentioned earlier, I think it's also possible that she's real Weir who has been mentally possessed by the Niam replicator nanites in her system. If Niam took control due to her being unconscious or finally overwhelmed by Oberoth at the end of Lifeline, he could have:

1) Immediately shut of her locator beacon via the nanites, which would have blocked it on the Odyssey--which is why it didn't show up when they did the scan.

2) convinced Oberoth that her knowledge of Atlantis were too valuable to allow her to be killed, hence keeping her alive

3) turned on Oberoth and run when he got the chance.

He could still be pseudo evil, or a hybrid Niam or something. And if so, 'real' Weir can still be rescued a la the way she overcame them in "The Real World", perhaps with the help of the team (courtesy the machine used in Doppelganger.

Purely speculation, but fun. :)

He mentioned it the day of/day after "This Mortal Coil" aired (December 9th?). Saying something like "Is the real Weir dead? Or did Repli!Keller lie? At this point, it depends on which producer you ask."

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM
from JM's blog

NCC-72452 writes: “When you say “story in place” regarding Weir, does this mean 1 episode? 2.71828 episodes? 3.14159 episodes?

Answers: Story in place refers to 1 episode.

Ice Wolf
February 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
from JM's blog

NCC-72452 writes: “When you say “story in place” regarding Weir, does this mean 1 episode? 2.71828 episodes? 3.14159 episodes?

Can you clarify what the question was in relation too?

Jumper_One
February 7th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Can you clarify what the question was in relation too?

yes of course. from JM's blog, february 5

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah... that sounds like they'll get rid of her once and for all. Unless it's the 100th episode but this "story line" isn't just one-episode material.

Rydell
February 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I agree with both of you, and I think both of your points actually work together instead of against each other...
Let's think about this for a moment. The original Elizabeth Weir, whose last known appearance was in "Lifeline," is, to our knowledge, the first and only human-Replicator hybrid.

Before anyone protests about the clones from "This Mortal Coil," remember, the clones of Weir and Team Shep were fully human, constructed by nanites, with a few nanites remaining in their systems to repair their bodies in case of injury (which is what McKay originally planned to do with Weir's nanites in "Adrift," he simply ran out of time).

But HybridWeir was/is, as McKay pointed out, no longer entirely human; her nanites had integrated themselves into her body, replacing her damaged brain tissue and other injuries with themselves. She could connect to the Replicator collective just as easily as any full Replicator such as Oberoth or Niam could, to the point that she successfully pulled a fake-out on Oberoth and the other Replicators.

It is because she is so dangerous and disruptive that Oberoth would be a fool to kill her immediately. The original Weir's transformation into a hybrid was an accident that came out of a desperate attempt to save her life. But after what happened in "Lifeline," the humans have seen what a hybrid can do against full Replicators, and they might attempt to deliberately create more hybrids to use as weapons against the Replicators. Oberoth would want to study HybridWeir, learn all he can about what she can do in order to create defenses that would prevent similar hybrids from causing havoc with the collective in the future. And in order to fully examine all her capabilities, the Replicators would have to keep her alive, at least for a while.

Which takes us to the end of "Lifeline," when Atlantis's long range sensors pick up the mass launch of the Replicator fleet after the Wraith attack program is activated. At most, it's only a few hours after Weir's capture, which makes it very likely that she's still alive and being examined by the Replicators. The activation of the Wraith attack program no doubt threw Oberoth's control of the Replicator collective into chaos; either Weir herself or the pro-Ascension Replicators that we saw in TMC (or both working together) could have taken advantage of the opportunity to slip away from Asuras in the Aurora-class ship we saw in BAMSR, and later split up in order to make it harder for Oberoth to track them down... Weir could've pulled another fake-out on Oberoth, making him believe that he had killed her, or, alternately, if she is now in command of the pro-Ascension Replicators, she herself could have planted the idea that she is dead, in order to keep Sheppard and the others from looking for her (as part of her "plan" that she hints at in BAMSR).

It's just one possible scenario. But it is possible.

I'm loving your theory so much! It's great. About JM's blog I'm very upset about this. Once again this could be a fake out from all sides from the actors producers anyone involved with the show including Torri being sworn to secrecy about what's going to happen next. Maybe it's an act from all sides like I said, from the show and real life. Anything is possible.

PG15
February 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Oh well...hopefully it's the 100th episode! It's only fitting.

Ice Wolf
February 7th, 2008, 05:34 PM
yes of course. from JM's blog, february 5

1 freaking episode ... 1 freaking freaking episode. FFS 1 episode. WTH is wrong with these people. Hopefully they will change their minds and realise that it needs to be at least multi-episode arc to do it justice.

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
If everyone here is angry at the decision - you need to write, write, write and write again. That's the only way you're going to get your voice heard. All addresses can be found at the SEW thread in the fandom folder.

Ruined_puzzle
February 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Well f them.

Yeah what a great arc for Weir, one episode :rolleyes:

Whenever this episodes shows, someone put her parts in youtube.

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM

The highlights... :D

Rydell
February 7th, 2008, 05:46 PM
If everyone here is angry at the decision - you need to write, write, write and write again. That's the only way you're going to get your voice heard. All addresses can be found at the SEW thread in the fandom folder.

I will most definately be writing untill my hands fall off. (of course I will try my best to be polite) This is ridiculous. Like I said in the speculation for the 100th episode I'm hoping it's got to do with Weir and it'll be a two parter that clears up the whole storyline and get's her back into her command of Atlantis!

Chrysalis
February 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Well f them.

Yeah what a great arc for Weir, one episode :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly. I'm officially through with this show. If the showrunners can't see what's right in front of them, and don't recognise how popular Elizabeth is, then I don't want to watch their show.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to be writing letters, though. Supporters of Torri/Elizabeth need to write. To magazines, to websites, to MGM, to Scifi. Just don't bother with JM, because he doesn't give a flying you know what about this character. It's time to go way over his head.

SMB_BOOKS
February 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
One episode. :S

Unbelievable. :(

One episode to revisit the story concerning Weir.

That's not a visit. That's a freaking drive-by wave. At the most.

I am not pleased.

And I'd like to echo Suz's comments. If you are unhappy with this news, please write to the big studios and let them know. Politely, professionally, and passionately.

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Politely, professionally, and passionately.

The 3 P's of writing a letter.

jenks
February 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I hope it stay at one episode, then maybe the writers can deal with her and get back to writing a great show. :)

The TARDIS
February 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Erm...folks, THE STORY doesn't necessarily mean 1 episode. Could be a two-parter, could be an arc. All JM relayed is that Weir's story is in place. Number of epis/length or arc could very well be decided by TH's availability, which isn't necessarily bad, is it? If Torri appears for as many episodes this season as she is available? :D

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Erm...folks, THE STORY doesn't necessarily mean 1 episode. Could be a two-parter, could be an arc. All JM relayed is that Weir's story is in place. Number of epis/length or arc could very well be decided by TH's availability, which isn't necessarily bad, is it? If Torri appears for as many episodes this season as she is available? :D

You're mistaken. JM said 1 episode. Not one story. One episode.

(from todays blog):

Ice Wolf
February 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM

From Joes Blog

Suzotchka
February 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
The 3 P's of writing a letter.

So P-U and PO'd don't count then right? :P

The TARDIS
February 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
You're mistaken. JM said 1 episode. Not one story. One episode.

(from todays blog):

hmmm...well I hadn't seen that. Hmm...still, her story could continue to play out without her actually being there, explaining her followers et al. Great mysteries, and whatnot. We'll just have to see eh?

Ruined_puzzle
February 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
hmmm...well I hadn't seen that. Hmm...still, her story could continue to play out without her actually being there, explaining her followers et al. Great mysteries, and whatnot. We'll just have to see eh?

LOL. Sorry I had to laugh because I don't care about the rest of her story without Weir actually being ON SCREEN.

The highlights... :D
It will save me from downloading the episode. Probably the only parts of s5 I will see and I do mean parts because I will just skip everything else. Someone putting up only the Elizabeth scenes will save me from downloading and skipping the parts I don't care about. :) :)

ToasterOnFire
February 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Well, that's one ep in s5 that I'll be watching. :) :S :(

Jackie
February 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Not sure if I will bother to watch it...kind of sounds like Wier will either be killed off or ride away into the arctic frozen sunset. either way...it will be a cold day in....

I got 2 eps I will watch...that's just the Daniel special. Not even Beckett can bring me back now.

atfan
February 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM

I agree I mean how many people guessed she would even be in BAMSR? I didn't and they kept me guessing. Maybe just maybe they want to leave some suprise for us. I like the idea that Weir gets to be more than just the figurehead of Atlantis seeing the team off on their adventure. Give the arc a chance before you slam it. The actress even said she wanted this. A story can also last more than one season and usually a story can't be told in one episode there are exceptions but I am going to wait and see how it turns out before I get upset. ;);)

mcat
February 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Even Ford got a two-parter, jeez...

*sighs heavily*

Ice Wolf
February 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I agree I mean how many people guessed she would even be in BAMSR? I didn't and they kept me guessing. Maybe just maybe they want to leave some suprise for us. I like the idea that Weir gets to be more than just the figurehead of Atlantis seeing the team off on their adventure. Give the arc a chance before you slam it. The actress even said she wanted this. A story can also last more than one season and usually a story can't be told in one episode there are exceptions but I am going to wait and see how it turns out before I get upset. ;);)

From Joes Blog

We knew weir was going to be in 4 eps of season 4 just didnt know which ones.

Torri012
February 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM
We knew weir was going to be in 4 eps of season 4 just didnt know which ones.

well, actually .. it was 3... because that in 'be all my sins rememberd' was not worth at all being counted as 'she being in the show as a guest star' :(

and who knows .. maybe next season we get such a 25secs long crappy scene aswell... 1 episode... god ... 1..... 1 ... *diez*

Willow'sCat
February 8th, 2008, 12:59 AM
well, actually .. it was 3... because that in 'be all my sins rememberd' was not worth at all being counted as 'she being in the show as a guest star' :(

and who knows .. maybe next season we get such a 25secs long crappy scene aswell... 1 episode... god ... 1..... 1 ... *diez*
Well that is the reality of TV.

As far as I am concerned there were four episodes with Weir in them in season 4, honestly this will happen again no doubt when Beckett turns up, already there are people using phrases like "Beckett episodes" but they will not be Beckett episodes :S they will be episodes that contain some Beckett.;) Big difference. The same thing happens with all the characters, including Carter, she was in Outcast for what? One minute but that is one of her episodes.

I am happy fans of Weir have one more episode to go *at least* I am happy tptb didn't just drop the whole thing and leave it hanging like Ford... but I am not thinking this episode will be 100% Weir.

Torri012
February 8th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Well that is the reality of TV.

As far as I am concerned there were four episodes with Weir in them in season 4, honestly this will happen again no doubt when Beckett turns up, already there are people using phrases like "Beckett episodes" but they will not be Beckett episodes :S they will be episodes that contain some Beckett.;) Big difference. The same thing happens with all the characters, including Carter, she was in Outcast for what? One minute but that is one of her episodes.

I am happy fans of Weir have one more episode to go *at least* I am happy tptb didn't just drop the whole thing and leave it hanging like Ford... but I am not thinking this episode will be 100% Weir.

yeah.. beckett.. i still cant wait to see the eps with him in though.. its gonna be interesting how they bring him back... i'm completelly unspoiled this season because its interesting me zero :( and so will season 5 :(

well, i doubt that there will be much weir in it ... its rediciolus.... 1 episode for one of the most liked charas of the whole show... my fav telly show.. ruined...
those writers really do know to make a show completelly suck :cool:

Falcon Horus
February 8th, 2008, 03:52 AM
So P-U and PO'd don't count then right? :P

*snort* :p

LOL. Sorry I had to laugh because I don't care about the rest of her story without Weir actually being ON SCREEN.

^^What she said... No Weir, not interested in the rest either.

It will save me from downloading the episode. Probably the only parts of s5 I will see and I do mean parts because I will just skip everything else. Someone putting up only the Elizabeth scenes will save me from downloading and skipping the parts I don't care about. :) :)

You know, I could make you a nice compilation of the Elizabeth-parts. Like I'm doing for Paris sometimes with Sheppard-parts, most noteably the climb in Quarantine.

Suzotchka
February 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Thought this was interesting: http://www.syfyportal.com/news424701.html
"Atlantis stop trying to be like SG-1"

*snippet*

Dr. Weir (Torri Higginson) on the other hand always kept the series moving and fresh and actually brought something to the table. As a chief negotiator, her skills were integral to the early days of the series where all things ancient were exciting and new. Higginson was perfect for the job and the series did suffer a substantial blow with absence in the latest season (even if she is lurking around somewhere in the background as a potential baddie).

*go to link for full article

justhere1971
February 8th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Thought this was interesting: http://www.syfyportal.com/news424701.html
"Atlantis stop trying to be like SG-1"

*snippet*

Dr. Weir (Torri Higginson) on the other hand always kept the series moving and fresh and actually brought something to the table. As a chief negotiator, her skills were integral to the early days of the series where all things ancient were exciting and new. Higginson was perfect for the job and the series did suffer a substantial blow with absence in the latest season (even if she is lurking around somewhere in the background as a potential baddie).

*go to link for full article

I think the writer expressed how I feel word for word. Thanks for posting the link Suz.

Eri13
February 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Wow. 1 episode. Apparently some people here have a much better understanding of JM than I do.

That about does it for me. With Carson only coming back for five, not even Daniel will pull me into Season 5. God bless Joe F., David and Rachel because I love them, but this is almost too much for words. I said I'd give them a year, and I did.

I won't be watching, but I will be writing letters in the hope that something will change. I feel like this is SG-1 all over again, and I've just come off of Meridian once more. I don't know how to express my disappointment.

matthewscott614
February 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Anyone out there know how many episodes Dr. Weir will be in for S5?

My hopes for S5 is that this bringing in of Woolsey is a setup for
Dr. Weir returning to Atlantis at some point.
For example they could always kill off Woolsey & replace him with Weir.
That would be nice.
However it may need to happen.
IMO I do not see the ratings doing well with Woolsey in charge.
The city needs Dr. Weir back.

Livingstone
February 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Anyone out there know how many episodes Dr. Weir will be in for S5?

My hopes for S5 is that this bringing in of Woolsey is a setup for
Dr. Weir returning to Atlantis at some point.
For example they could always kill off Woolsey & replace him with Weir.
That would be nice.
However it may need to happen.
IMO I do not see the ratings doing well with Woolsey in charge.
The city needs Dr. Weir back.

As of now she is set to appear in ONE episode. Yes, you read it correctly, ONE episode...

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm discouraged to hear that only one episode is confirmed. I suspected as much, especially after Joe's response to Torri's interview, but I was hoping for better things. :(

matthewscott614
February 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
As of now she is set to appear in ONE episode. Yes, you read it correctly, ONE episode...

Wow!
Thats so bogus!
Its like they want season 5 to be the last.

ShadowMaat
February 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Look at it this way: If Torri's only in one ep, that frees her up to become a regular/recurring character on NCIS. :D *fingers crossed*

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Look at it this way: If Torri's only in one ep, that frees her up to become a regular/recurring character on NCIS. :D *fingers crossed*

That would be nice. :) I do hope she finds something good.

Ruined_puzzle
February 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Actually I would love to see Torri in The Sarah Conner Chronicles, they at least know how to write really awesome women characters.

You know, I could make you a nice compilation of the Elizabeth-parts. Like I'm doing for Paris sometimes with Sheppard-parts, most noteably the climb in Quarantine.

o_o that'd be awesome. Yes please.

Mitchell82
February 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Oh well...hopefully it's the 100th episode! It's only fitting.
Agreed.

Ice Wolf
February 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Agreed.

I Agree to an appearance by Weir in ep 100 would be fitting.

However I think that the Character, the actress, the fans, but mostly the setup from BAMSR deserve more than 1 episode. I can't see how they can take something that caused so much anticipation for Weirs next appearance and boil it down to just a 1 episode story.

If it were me it would be a major focus of the back half.

SGFerrit
February 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Joe has said they have 1 ep in place so far.

He has already confirmed that beckett could have more eps when a question was asked in is blog, I'd say the same could easilly apply with Lizzy.

Mitchell82
February 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I Agree to an appearance by Weir in ep 100 would be fitting.

However I think that the Character, the actress, the fans, but mostly the setup from BAMSR deserve more than 1 episode. I can't see how they can take something that caused so much anticipation for Weirs next appearance and boil it down to just a 1 episode story.

If it were me it would be a major focus of the back half.
Yeah it does but it being the major focus no I don't agree.

Ice Wolf
February 8th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Joe has said they have 1 ep in place so far.

He has already confirmed that beckett could have more eps when a question was asked in is blog, I'd say the same could easily apply with Lizzy.

Where did Joe say "so far".

I still think that a 1 ep story to resolve the setup of BAMSR isn't enough to do justice to the story. All the questions and anticipation from that tease lend themselves to a multi-episode arc or at the very least a 2 parter.

The big difference between Beckett and Weir here is that Joe loves Beckett, Weir not so much.

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM

He didn't.

I still think that a 1 ep story to resolve the setup of BAMSR isn't enough to do justice to the story. All the questions and anticipation from that tease lend themselves to a multi-episode arc or at the very least a 2 parter.

I completely agree.

Ice Wolf
February 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Yeah it does but it being the major focus no I don't agree.

What i mean by major focus is the story-arc taking place over 4-5 episodes or more climaxing in the season finale.

I doesn't have to take up the whole episodes just foreshadowing ect. instead of an out-of-the-blue story.

SGFerrit
February 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I thought that's what was said?

Sorry, just checked and I was wrong. But still, we had confirmation of 5 eps with Beckett. But like Joe said, there could easily be more if another story comes along. I would expect the same for Weir, Carter, Zelenka etc...

Falcon Horus
February 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
O_o that'd be awesome. Yes please.

Consider it done. :)

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I thought that's what was said?

Sorry, just checked and I was wrong. But still, we had confirmation of 5 eps with Beckett. But like Joe said, there could easily be more if another story comes along. I would expect the same for Weir, Carter, Zelenka etc...

He said that for Beckett and Carter. And Zelenka and Lorne are always open-ended. But he was pretty definite on the "one episode" thing for Weir - I think that's the end of it. :(

Look, JM has said that he can be vindictive - hey, he even dedicated an entire blog entry to that theme once upon a time. I guess I just wouldn't put it past him to have cut Weir's story down to the bone once he heard Torri's interview. His comment about what she said being a "slap in the face" to Brad Wright whom he said had always fought for her was very telling, in my mind.

And maybe I'm wrong - maybe it was always going to just be one episode. We're never going to know - that's for sure. I very much hope I'm wrong and that she ends up coming back for more episodes. But I'll be surprised. :S Pleasantly surprised, but surprised.

Mitchell82
February 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM
What i mean by major focus is the story-arc taking place over 4-5 episodes or more climaxing in the season finale.

I doesn't have to take up the whole episodes just foreshadowing ect. instead of an out-of-the-blue story.

Ah in that case I agree.

Suzotchka
February 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well ... we don't know if Torri has signed on to do the episode, right?

She may just say no.

Ruined_puzzle
February 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM

She may just say no.

I kind of hope she does. I mean one episode, what can they do in one episode other then completely destroy her character, or maybe kill her for sure, unless it's an au episode. If she doesn't come back, we can just think Elizabeth is alive elsewhere being awesome.

I think s5 is the last for SGA.

Wormhole
February 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I kind of hope she does. I mean one episode, what can they do in one episode other then completely destroy her character, or maybe kill her for sure, unless it's an au episode. If she doesn't come back, we can just think Elizabeth is alive elsewhere being awesome.

I think s5 is the last for SGA.

Isn’t there a time-travel episode in place? *Scratches head.*

Scary Kitty
February 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Isn’t there a time-travel episode in place? *Scratches head.*

I think you're thinking of the Season 4 finale, "The Last Man." Which is supposed to be a Sheppard episode.

And I'm beginning to get the "end of SGA" vibe as well. Too much has been changed, too quickly for the changes to be accepted, and most of the time, not for the better. I've tried to find the silver lining in all of this, more than once... I just can't do this anymore.

Screw canon. Long live fanfiction.

ShadowMaat
February 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM

She may just say no.
I think she's too nice to do that, but I'd laugh my arse off if she did. ;) It'd serve 'em right.

Suzotchka
February 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I think she's too nice to do that, but I'd laugh my arse off if she did. ;) It'd serve 'em right.

I totally agree. If anything, I think she'd do it for us, her fans, and to wrap up the storyline once and for all.

But, Torri if you're reading this, it's okay to tell them no if you want! :P

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I hate to be the cynical one, but I doubt they'd care if she did that. It'd just give them an excuse not to do it, and then they could blame her ("scheduling conflicts") instead of taking the blame.

Not that I would blame her if she said no.

Scary Kitty
February 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Indeed. And doubly ironic now that they're losing Tapping to Sanctuary... (Personally, I think that's a great move for Amanda and her career and I wish her the best of luck. :))

I totally agree. If anything, I think she'd do it for us, her fans, and to wrap up the storyline once and for all.

But, Torri if you're reading this, it's okay to tell them no if you want! :P

Especially if the TPTB don't treat Torri and Weir with the respect and dignity that the actress and character both deserve. If Torri doesn't feel comfortable doing it, then she shouldn't feel obligated to do it.

I hate to be the cynical one, but I doubt they'd care if she did that. It'd just give them an excuse not to do it, and then they could blame her ("scheduling conflicts") instead of taking the blame.

Yeah, passing the buck instead of taking responsibility for their own mistakes. Again. They really seem to like doing that. :rolleyes:

sofie
February 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM

yea don't want to give them more excuses..

I really hope they bring her back for more episodes, I mean 1 episode *shakes head* what were they talking about an episode-arc. The whole replicator storyline could turn out fantastic, but at this point they're just wasting everything.. Torri's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to good for this show :cool: *runs of to watch 'the real world'

Chrysalis
February 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM

They've screwed this character over so many ways it's not funny. And not just Elizabeth. Shep, too. We're supposed to believe he'll just cop Carter's "Come to me when you have a plan that will work" line? No way. The Shep of S1, 2, 3 would have gone "Stuff that, I'm going to go get her anyway". They've damaged his character through all this, too.

Torri will have the last laugh when she gets a job on a mainstream show, or does theatre and gets great reviews, and ends up with an audience and fanbase TPTB can only dream about.

Jackie
February 8th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Wasn't JM totting in his blog not long ago how "Torri would have far more eps in season 5 than she got in all of season 4." not long ago?

My how his words change...like the wind.

I wouldn't blame TH if she never came back.

JM also stated that it was Carl Binder that advocated for the character and the actress. His words were along the line of, "Carl is no longer here to protect her." That was during the writer's strike.

Sounds to me like the writers themselves have issues with one another.

Carl Binder is an american writer...I hope he gets a better show to work for too.

I'm done with SGA. It was never my favorite show, SG-1 was. But after season 9 and 10 and now seeing how they just carried over the bad management to SGA. I don't care to watch it anymore.

I loved RP on trek and in china beach, but woosley is really beneath his acting ability.

Sheppard used to be a fun character too. I agree with what was stated before about how "the real sheppard" would have gone through anything to get Wier back.

It's like there was absolutely no effort to get the character back. She was written off as dead immediately.

The new doctor is not very interesting to me either.

I just watched the preview for tonights SGA and watched the snip of Carter and Keller falling into the hole Roidney just fell into. I just rolled my eyes and decided to find something else to do. Here I am! lol.

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Someone named "Erika" just wrote one of the best comments I have read on JM's blog for a long time. It's very well written and polite, but in defense of Weir. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you check it out. It's near the bottom of the posts (at least at the time I posted this message).

Melora
February 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
He said that for Beckett and Carter. And Zelenka and Lorne are always open-ended. But he was pretty definite on the "one episode" thing for Weir - I think that's the end of it. :(

Look, JM has said that he can be vindictive - hey, he even dedicated an entire blog entry to that theme once upon a time. I guess I just wouldn't put it past him to have cut Weir's story down to the bone once he heard Torri's interview. His comment about what she said being a "slap in the face" to Brad Wright whom he said had always fought for her was very telling, in my mind.

And maybe I'm wrong - maybe it was always going to just be one episode. We're never going to know - that's for sure. I very much hope I'm wrong and that she ends up coming back for more episodes. But I'll be surprised. :S Pleasantly surprised, but surprised.

I read in Alex Levine's blog once that JM's nickname around the office is Grudgy McGrudgerson b/c he has a tendency to hold grudges.

When I heard Torri's interview, my heart just sank b/c I suspected exactly the same thing that you seem to suspect. I just can't believe that he would hold it against her, since she wasn't dissing their decision. She was just upset about how they handled it. And rightly so IMO.

I have a feeling TPTB might have gotten tired of Torri calling them on the fact that no there are no female producers or writers on the show (or on SG-1). It seems to be a bit of a sore spot for them.

I have to say, one episode is so disappointing considering how fabulous her appearance at the end of BAMSR was. I actually cheered out loud when she came on the screen. I was thinking she would be a major presence in Season 5. It was one of the few things I was looking forward to next season. Now there's Carson but little else. :(

Chrysalis
February 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Someone named "Erika" just wrote one of the best comments I have read on JM's blog for a long time. It's very well written and polite, but in defense of Weir. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you check it out. It's near the bottom of the posts (at least at the time I posted this message).

Can you copy and paste? I don't want to go near that blog!!

Jumper_One
February 8th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Can you copy and paste? I don't want to go near that blog!!

;)
Hi Joe. I know this is a wee bit long for a blog post; my hope is that you will read it, but you don’t have to include it in the comments. I felt as though it was time to write in, because I have been remiss in doing so in the past and today I wanted to take the opportunity before I lost it, seeing as how these season five details are fresh and new.

I am a fan of Elizabeth Weir; but please take my words in the context of who I am. I can promise I’m not an ‘anti’ or a character hater; there are no characters on Atlantis I truthfully dislike. I have no desire to see the show fail, nor place fault or blame on any person or groups of people. I don’t believe in speculating on reasons or questioning business decisions simply because I do not know the facts. What I do know is that I am a fan of Elizabeth Weir, and I hope you will listen to my words.

Stories are told through the grace of the writer’s pen; but no reader, or in this case viewer, has been held captive courtesy vivid and repetitive descriptions of unique landscapes. Our attentions are captured by the way the story is told, but held by the characters through which the events unfold. We are human; we identify with humans (or in sci-fi’s case, humanoids) and hence our reason for returning to the page, or the screen—to see how those characters develop through the course of the story.

You created a fantastic character in Weir. I enjoyed every moment of her time on screen, because for me, she represented more than just a token female character, whether she was intended to be post-modern feminist or not. As boundaries are broken and changed, we tend to proceed with radical versions of what we’re trying to evolve or develop. We get the Janeways, the Scullys, the Seven-of-Nines. Breakthrough characters that change the face of the familiar. Once they’ve established the precedent, however, we are given the ability to toggle back from the extreme and move towards the realistic. I believe Weir was one of the first who worked this theme. With the way the stories were shaped, she fell outside the tradition stereotypes for sci-fi females—not the battle ‘babe’, not the cold, stern, ‘I can fit in the boys club’ leader, not the lovely, intelligent, perennial sidekick. Weir had a heart; she made mistakes, she led at times cleverly, at others strongly, and in some instances, poorly. To see a character possess both the strength to govern resolutely, and the heart to be as close as family to her team—that was a rare trait I haven’t seen displayed in many sci-fi shows. Not with a leader-type character, at least.

There is no point in the first three seasons where I grew tired of Elizabeth Weir. Though the outward appearance and the nature of the stories changed as the years progressed, her presence was always carefully balanced between leader and friend. From instances of difficult decision-making and stern control to episodes of self-doubt and weakness, she ran the gamut of leadership, femininity and friendship quite believably. I have a high appreciation for the episodes in which she is portrayed as having to make difficult decisions, some of which are, in the long run, poor ones. Or seeing episodes such as “Condemned” or “Common Ground” where she must be ruthless—and is. I would not have liked her nearly so well had all her appearances been triumphs, or cold command scenarios. I don’t enjoy the token ‘let your hair down’ episodes, and Weir never really had one of those—she didn’t need them. Your writers shaped her to have steel and heart episode by episode, and Torri Higginson took that theme and developed it. Even into Season 3, where some people have come to think, somehow, that she failed as a character.

I believe in change; in the evolution of stories and scenarios, and I believe very much in the show creators’ rights to move on with their stories as they see fit. We would not have these characters had not someone else evolved them. And I don’t dislike adding characters. “Deep Space Nine” was the only Trek I watched, so I have a strong respect for Robert Picardo. Jewel Staite has been a favorite since I watched her in “Higher Ground”; a respect that grew through “Firefly”. And SG-1 I liked in the beginning and always respected. How you incorporate these characters, and evolve future stories, is your prerogative.

But that being said, I do believe in the right to do what we are able as fans to do—let our opinions be heard. That is one of the two options we are afforded as fans—to let production know how we feel, or, to take the road more often traveled, and simply change the channel.

I don’t want to take the second option—not yet. I haven’t decided, to be honest, what my final action shall be. The one thing I know for certain is that I will miss Weir. I am disappointed I will only get the opportunity to see her once next season, and I hope, as things progress, opportunities will open that will allow her to be seen again. I hope that you will see your fan base extends to people such as me, people who were English majors and possess law degrees; who consider Faulkner an acceptable beach read and enjoy the challenge of new books every week. People who relish Shakespeare references and parallelism and dynamic depth of character. Intelligent folk who did find something redemptive, intriguing and inspiring in Weir, right up to the end.

I know you have your reasons for change, and coming from a production background myself, I understand none of us really know how the business end works. I’m not posting to comment on that; my concern comes solely from what I see broadcast week to week. What I miss and what I’d like to see again. And how, as one fan, the changes have affected me.

I will miss Weir. I hope as Season four progresses towards the finale, something else can capture me and pull be back as strongly as her character did this past year, when I was first introduced to Atlantis. I wanted to write in and let you know that—that there are people who do respect everything you do, that respect your stories and your characters, but who yearn for a little more of one thing they considered great—one thing that captured their attention and made them watch devotedly in the first place. And who hope, while the future is still uncertain, that it will remain open to the possibility of bringing something they loved back to them.

Thanks, Joe, for all you and your team do. I know not everything is easy to handle, but please, keep on creating. Imagination on television runs thin these days, it seems, and every attempt at developing intelligent, original ideas is not just appreciated, it is necessary.

Melora
February 8th, 2008, 05:53 PM

It's an absolutely beautiful comment. :weiranime17:

I read it earlier and it really stood out (and not just b/c it is long). I don't think anyone could argue with Erika's logic or fail to be moved by her eloquence.

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM
It's an absolutely beautiful comment. :weiranime17:

I agree.

Falcon Horus
February 8th, 2008, 05:56 PM
It seems I was lucky... Now, if only he would answer my questions, that would be twice as nice.

PG15
February 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wasn't JM totting in his blog not long ago how "Torri would have far more eps in season 5 than she got in all of season 4." not long ago?

JM also stated that it was Carl Binder that advocated for the character and the actress. His words were along the line of, "Carl is no longer here to protect her." That was during the writer's strike.

Quote and link or it never happened.

Chrysalis
February 8th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I read in Alex Levine's blog once that JM's nickname around the office is Grudgy McGrudgerson b/c he has a tendency to hold grudges.

When I heard Torri's interview, my heart just sank b/c I suspected exactly the same thing that you seem to suspect. I just can't believe that he would hold it against her, since she wasn't dissing their decision. She was just upset about how they handled it. And rightly so IMO.

I have a feeling TPTB might have gotten tired of Torri calling them on the fact that no there are no female producers or writers on the show (or on SG-1). It seems to be a bit of a sore spot for them.

I have to say, one episode is so disappointing considering how fabulous her appearance at the end of BAMSR was. I actually cheered out loud when she came on the screen. I was thinking she would be a major presence in Season 5. It was one of the few things I was looking forward to next season. Now there's Carson but little else. :(

If that's what this is, and it's a personal grudge he has against her for actually daring to question things, then it will catch up with him in the long run. Maybe one day he'll find himself working with an actor with more power than Torri's been allowed on SGA, and he'll come off second best. That day will come. I'm a strong believer in karma, and that what goes around comes around.

Jumper_One
February 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
from JM's blog

As season four wrapped, Carl and Paul got to spinning and came up with a terrific storyline that picked up where that last scene of BAMSR left off. We had a story in place for one episode, the starting point of a potentially bigger arc. The script was written and we eventually contacted Torri who, after much consideration, turned down the offer to reprise the role of Elizabeth Weir for the episode. We are, of course, disappointed, but nevertheless respect Torri’s decision and wish her all the best in her future endeavors.

Killdeer
February 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
from JM's blog

I was just about to post this - thanks. :) I'm disappointed too. But I wish Torri the best.

Suzotchka
February 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
from JM's blog

I was just going to post that. Good for her!

Jill_Ion
February 8th, 2008, 08:56 PM
from JM's blog
Quote:
As season four wrapped, Carl and Paul got to spinning and came up with a terrific storyline that picked up where that last scene of BAMSR left off. We had a story in place for one episode, the starting point of a potentially bigger arc. The script was written and we eventually contacted Torri who, after much consideration, turned down the offer to reprise the role of Elizabeth Weir for the episode. We are, of course, disappointed, but nevertheless respect Torri’s decision and wish her all the best in her future endeavors.

Well at least we know. I'm disappointed that it appears that storyline won't be followed, but only wish the best for all involved.

Suzotchka, are you the "kate" who comments on JMz's blog?

the fifth man
February 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I just wish her the best of luck with whatever she does next. I will really miss her, and Weir.

Suzotchka
February 8th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Suzotchka, are you the "kate" who comments on JMz's blog?

Nope. I don't go to JM's blog. But when I did I went by my name: Suz.

I sign my name to comments. :)