This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis V SG1

Not really a fight, but more just a few quiries I have.

I never watched much stargate apart from a few episodes on and off, but I started watching atlantis and really enjoed it. Frustrated by the mid season gap I decided to go back and watch some SG1. I've started from the beginning with series one, and it's OK, but not really as exciting.

What do other people think of the two in comparrison?

Does Sg1 get better as you get though the episodes, i'd expect so.

Alot of the characters seem the same, surely John sheppard and O'Neill are the are. I guess it's safe to stick with the successfull formula, but it does annoy me a little that the roles and personality of these characters is really identicle. Well to be honest I like them both, guess I'm just picking.Teyla and Teal'c seem to have the same role in the series also.

anyway I can't wait for the next half of the series to begin, these season breaks are dum!

~hobo

-----------------------------------------------
    www.hcgallagher.co.uk
    Hugh Gallagher

Frankly I think there are many opportunities to exploit in SGA, but there are too many inconsistencies to call it a professionnal show.

Just think, the Wraiths are those powerful ennemies that defeated the semi-god like Ancients, but the brave Earth team can enter their hive ships two times without being seen. And it goes on like that with a hundred of inconsistencies.

And the acting is terribly directed: that Genii girl twisting the finger of the guy to get info, was that meant to scare the public, or to show how sweet she was? The way Steve died, mmpppfff..... Sheppard doing a nice athletic roll forward in Storm, yeah with a backpack full of hard objects, very convenient...

Ok let's say they'll do better next year. For the moment the coming episodes look no better.
    No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
    I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
    Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

What about in comparrison to sg1?
      Hugh Gallagher

Comment

Originally posted by hobophobik
        What about in comparrison to sg1?
        No comparison. In front of SG1, SGA is simply not a professionnal show.

Except the first episode.
        No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
        I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
        Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Well. We've only had 11 episodes of SGA, but so far, I think that SGA is off to a much better start than Stargate SG1 was in the first season. It has the potential to surpass SG1. It's just not there yet.
          sigpic

Comment

The first 4 season, hell the first 6 seasons of SG-1 are so much better than Atlantis.

Like said the Wraith are a joke.

The Goul'd were ment to be dumb, they steal all their tech and never met smart humans before. The Wraith... ehhhh.

Of course Atlantis will be on the air for years and years while good Sci-Fi shows will be wrecked or canceled like Odyssey 5, Dark Skies, Sliders (that would be the wrecked one).
            It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

I think they stand up well next to each other. Furling is well known for his negative opinions about Atlantis, which he is welcome to, but they are hardly universal.

In think any comparison with SG1 has to be done in two ways. The first ten episodes of Atlantis are bar none better than the first ten epsiodes of SG1. The writers have their feet about them much faster and are much more sure of what kind of series they are writing. Some of the Atlantis characters (Teyla and Ford) could use some characterization, but the same could be said of Teal'c in the earliest episodes of SG1, and Atlantis has more cast members for us to get to know.

SG1 does get better over time, some of the worst (and some of the campiest) epsiodes of the series can be found early in season 1. It's much farther along on it's life cycle right now, and as a consequence the style of stories has changed. Atlantis is just introducing it's viewers to the world it is in, and SG1 is running much more complicated plots based on past events within the series. Still, sitting down with the gateworld Omnipedia and watching epsiodes you would be able to pick it up quickly.

As for Sheppard and O'Neill I actually think they are pretty different. O'Neill is a man who has been eaten up by his world a bit. Chewed roughly around the edges and capable of darkness. He's got a snarky and childish sense of humor at times, but it's more a defensive mechanism. Sort of to keep his sanity.

Sheppard is much younger, and though he's seen bad things in the world they haven't eaten him to the core. He hasn't had to hit bottum and crawl back up. He's got a sarcastic sense of humor, but I think it's a bit more biting than O'Neills. At his core I think he's a more subdued man.
              Last edited by Major Fischer; 16 October 2004, 05:59 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Comment

When I first heard of the Wraith, they sounded pretty cool. The whole concept of what I thought they would be like was good. But I don't like what they have done with them since the pilot. I just have these images of them running across a field clumsily firing large laser type guns, and it makes me laugh. Not the image I had of the wraith...
                O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
                Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                  I think they stand up well next to each other. Furling is well known for his negative opinions about Atlantis, which he is welcome to, but they are hardly universal.

In think any comparison with SG1 has to be done in two ways. The first ten episodes of Atlantis are bar none better than the first ten epsiodes of SG1. The writers have their feet about them much faster and are much more sure of what kind of series they are writing. Some of the Atlantis characters (Teyla and Ford) could use some characterization, but the same could be said of Teal'c in the earliest episodes of SG1, and Atlantis has more cast members for us to get to know.

SG1 does get better over time, some of the most worst (and some of the campiest) epsiodes of the series can be found early in season 1. It's much farther along on it's life cycle right now, and as a consequence the style of stories has changed. Atlantis is just introducing it's viewers to the world it is in, and SG1 is running much more complicated plots based on past events within the series. Still, sitting down with the gateworld Omnipedia and watching epsiodes you would be able to pick it up quickly.

As for Sheppard and O'Neill I actually think they are pretty different. O'Neill is a man who has been eaten up by his world a bit. Chewed roughly around the edges and capable of darkness. He's got a snarky and childish sense of humor at times, but it's more a defensive mechanism. Sort of to keep his sanity.

Sheppard is much younger, and though he's seen bad things in the world they haven't eaten him to the core. He hasn't had to hit bottum and crawl back up. He's got a sarcastic sense of humor, but I think it's a bit more biting than O'Neills. At his core I think he's a more subdued man.
                  Your O'Neill and Sheppard comparison is perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramne
                    When I first heard of the Wraith, they sounded pretty cool. The whole concept of what I thought they would be like was good. But I don't like what they have done with them since the pilot. I just have these images of them running across a field clumsily firing large laser type guns, and it makes me laugh. Not the image I had of the wraith...
                    Surely the wraith can get away with being clumsy monster people when they have the evilis human raises to fill the more tacticle enemy roles... did that make sense? Like the dudes who took over atlantis.

I admit there are differences between O'Neil and Sheppard, but I feel like they were just giving the fans a character that had already worked in the past series just to keep them happy.

I like sheppards P90, very cool gun

~hobo
                    -----------------------------------------------
                    www.hcgallagher.co.uk
                    Hugh Gallagher

Comment

Alot of the characters seem the same, surely John sheppard and O'Neill are the are. I guess it's safe to stick with the successfull formula, but it does annoy me a little that the roles and personality of these characters is really identicle. Well to be honest I like them both, guess I'm just picking.Teyla and Teal'c seem to have the same role in the series also.
                      There's nobody like Dr. McKay!

Ok, you can say he's the science person like Carter is the SG1 science person, but shoot, there's always a science person on a science fiction program!

And if you want to make generalizations, in most science fiction shows you have the leader, the brain, the brawn and the local consultant. That doesn't make SG1 any more the same to SGA than to any other science fiction show. In fact, if you have a group of any kind, there will be a tendency to have this mix.

I'll have to say I like Atlantis much more than SG1. And it's mostly because of McKay. Everyone on SG1 is too perfect. To me, McKay is the most human of all the characters. Full of quirks and contradictions.

But I also enjoy Sheppard, Weir and Beckett. I don't know about Teyla and Ford, they haven't had much development yet. I don't find anything about them I object, I just don't have much to work with right now.

And, like Major Fischer, I don't think O'Neill and Sheppard are the same at all. O'Neill has a shell around him that would be very hard to breech. Sheppard has a more open, outgoing personality, although quiet by nature. And I don't think that's because of the age difference or that O'Neill has seen much more combat or had much more off world experience than Sheppard. I think it's part of their core personalities.

To give an example, in the episode Home
                      Spoiler:

Sheppard has a party at his fancy bachelor apartment. Except the apartment never existed. And there were guests at his party that were people who had died, or would never be at the party in the first place. Yet he was able to imagine all of that in great detail and hide the truth of it from the Mist. O'Neill never would have been able to do that. Or if he did, it would just O'Neill in a cabin by a lake. With maybe one other person.

Also, Sheppard is a closet math whiz. Can you picture O'Neill multiplying 3 digit numbers in his head let alone calculate how many years it would take a Puddle Jumper to rescue McKay from the Mist planet?

Yet, both these men are leaders. That and the fact that they're both Air Force are about the only things they do have in common.

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I was gonna give my opinion on the subject, but Fischer already said it all perfectly. From now on, whenever someone wants to compare SG-1 to Atlantis we should copy-&-paste her response from this thread.
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                          I was gonna give my opinion on the subject, but Fischer already said it all perfectly. From now on, whenever someone wants to compare SG-1 to Atlantis we should copy-&-paste her response from this thread.
                          Awhhh thanks

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                            And if you want to make generalizations, in most science fiction shows you have the leader, the brain, the brawn and the local consultant. That doesn't make SG1 any more the same to SGA than to any other science fiction show. In fact, if you have a group of any kind, there will be a tendency to have this mix.
                            That makes sense to me, thank you.

I guess I’m a simple bloke and don't look into the subtleties of the characters as much as some people, probably as I don't really care.

I hear allot of you SG fans don't like the film (opening a new can of worms), but I have to say I enjoy SG1, I like SGA even more, and I liked the film more than both, I really wish they would have made a sequel (apart from the series).

~hobo
                            ---------------------------------------
                            www.hcgallagher.co.uk
                            Hugh Gallagher

Comment

I liked the film more than both

Burn that one! <points at hobophobik>
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X