PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Atlantis - Season 5 - Amanda Tapping in "several episodes"

Pages : [1] 2 3

morjana
January 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM
From the Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i877e4787aa6b183a13e0f713d3d7991c

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

[The SciFi Channel has greenlit 13 episodes of Sanctuary.]

**snippage**

...The series, produced by Stage 3 Media in association with the Sci Fi Channel, is slated to begin production in March. While, by most estimates, the writers strike will be over by then, that is not a factor for the show, whose production is strike-proof because it is based in Canada. Sci Fi's "Stargate Atlantis" is in a similar position and will begin filming its fifth season in a couple of weeks. Tapping, who co-starred on that series last season, will return for several episodes.

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Fantastic! :D thanks for posting that morjana :D

The TARDIS
January 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:samanime15:

Well, at least Amanda will be full time in another series, and at least pop in regularly to Atlantis. Not all bad...heh *tries to be optimistic*

jelgate
January 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
How many is several??*?* More, less, or the same of S4. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. Why is TARDIS angry?

majorsal
January 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i877e4787aa6b183a13e0f713d3d7991c

**snippage**

...The series, produced by Stage 3 Media in association with the Sci Fi Channel, is slated to begin production in March. While, by most estimates, the writers strike will be over by then, that is not a factor for the show, whose production is strike-proof because it is based in Canada. Sci Fi's "Stargate Atlantis" is in a similar position and will begin filming its fifth season in a couple of weeks. Tapping, who co-starred on that series last season, will return for several episodes.

we get sam too!!! :D

i want to know what 'several' episodes means in numbers.

is it too early to squee if scifi hasn't released the cast line up yet? (holds in squee. tries hard)

sally http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/531/helengunanim1ke2.gif :sam59:

Ruined_puzzle
January 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I'm guessing no more than 13 episodes for Sam.

tara3583
January 30th, 2008, 10:02 PM

**snippage**

Thankyou Morjana, so glad that Amanda is going to do both Sam and Helen, she is going to be one very busy woman again this year!:)

Will Thorne
January 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
"Several" sounds about 10 to me.

PG15
January 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
"Several" could mean any number of episodes. I won't form any opinions until I get a number.

And TARDIS, edit that NOOOO so it doesn't stretch the page before I smack you! :p

The TARDIS
January 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
How many is several??*?* More, less, or the same of S4. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. Why is TARDIS angry?

Because it makes it sound like she's no longer a regular. Which would make this time machine more then a little peeved:sam34:

Bagpuss
January 30th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks,Morjana.:)
Interesting article.I hope the transition of Sanctuary to the Sci Fi channel goes well,and that we soon find out how many episodes of Atlantis count as "several " this season.;)

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM

Because he has a major crush on AT? :P

"Several" could mean any number of episodes. I won't form any opinions until I get a number.

Yup same here...

And TARDIS, edit that NOOOO so it doesn't stretch the page before I smack you! :p

:lol: :P

Because it makes it sound like she's no longer a regular. Which would make this time machine more then a little peeved:sam34:

Really? I would wait until we have solid information *like an amount of eps she'll be in* before getting upset about it...

The TARDIS
January 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Really? I would wait until we have solid information *like an amount of eps she'll be in* before getting upset about it...

Shhh! Your logic is not wanted here! :p

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Shhh! Your logic is not wanted here! :p

Really? Ya know that urge to make a paradox machine is coming back again :P

Chrysalis
January 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Considering they said Elizabeth would return as a recurring character for 'some time' and that ended up being four eps, 'several' could be anything from three to about 10, IMO.

I'm not a Carter fan, but I could handle that if they gave Torri at least 10 eps.

Chrysalis
January 30th, 2008, 10:24 PM

Welcome to the world of what it feels like to be a Weir fan. Be prepared for everyone to attack you if you dare to be annoyed about it, too.

Ruined_puzzle
January 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Considering they said Elizabeth would return as a recurring character for 'some time' and that ended up being four eps, 'several' could be anything from three to about 10, IMO.

I'm not a Carter fan, but I could handle that if they gave Torri at least 10 eps.

10 for Torri, 10 for Amanda, sounds good to me.

Fenrir Foxz
January 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
10 for Torri, 10 for Amanda, sounds good to me.

Good compromise... I like it but I doubt TPTB will be so 'balanced'...

Agent_Dark
January 30th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Well, at least Amanda will be full time in another series, and at least pop in regularly to Atlantis. Not all bad...heh *tries to be optimistic*

Sanctuary is pretty good. tbh, you'll probably end up with 'more' Amanda, since she'll be lead actor on one show and an important recurring one on the other.

Livingstone
January 30th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Carter in the first half, then Weir takes over again in the second half...

Mitchell82
January 30th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Well several can mean many many things. Hopefully she will still be in quite a few as in 10-13. Even if her role is cut down signifigantly as long as they keep the quality as high as it is now I have no complaints.

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 01:47 AM
I hope that several means no more than three or four. I also hope those episodes arn't the same one's that Weir will be in, if she is going to return to the show. Fingers crossed.:)

I don't like Carter, I don't like her on Atlantis and feel her introduction was handled very badly. The episodes of season four I have watched have been ruined for me by the character, imo she adds nothing to the show.

At least this way the tbtb have a chance of pleasing everybody to some degree.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
thanks so much morjana :)

so what does 'several' mean exactly? it's more than 'a few' which would be about 3-5 eps imo, several could be anything from 6-14 eps. it doesn't say that Carter will be in 'a lot' of eps in s5 (ie 16-20) but that's also not the case in s4. last year AT managed to shoot Atlantis, Sanctuary and the two SG-1 movies in a short amount of time. whatever 'several' means, Carter will at least be a recurring character in s5

does anyone remember press releases from last year when it was made public that AT would join the Atlantis cast? I'm wondering if they also said Carter would come over for 'several' eps...

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 09:23 AM
thanks so much morjana :)

so what does 'several' mean exactly? it's more than 'a few' which would be about 3-5 eps imo, several could be anything from 6-14 eps. it doesn't say that Carter will be in 'a lot' of eps in s5 (ie 16-20) but that's also not the case in s4. last year AT managed to shoot Atlantis, Sanctuary and the two SG-1 movies in a short amount of time. whatever 'several' means, Carter will at least be a recurring character in s5

does anyone remember press releases from last year when it was made public that AT would join the Atlantis cast? I'm wondering if they also said Carter would come over for 'several' eps...

She is being reduced to recurring or guest spots according to NBCU! Could be 4 eps or could be like 10 eps, give or take. I am thinking the latter. This is huge Sanctuary being picked up by the network and she is an Exceutive Producer.

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 09:24 AM
my GUESS is that this is why official word of season 5 casting has been held up.

they were waiting for the i's to be dotted and the t's to be crossed on sanctuary, so that they could know amanda's availbility, and then use that info to determine her involvement on SGA.

I'm betting that there are phone calls being made today and contracts being signed, which will lead to the press release about SGA for Monday

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM
my GUESS is that this is why official word of season 5 casting has been held up.

they were waiting for the i's to be dotted and the t's to be crossed on sanctuary, so that they could know amanda's availbility, and then use that info to determine her involvement on SGA.

I'm betting that there are phone calls being made today and contracts being signed, which will lead to the press release about SGA for Monday

That is most likely the case. NBCU said guest appearances so, that makes me think it will be less than 10. :S

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm dissapointed. I doubt Carter will be leader next year, and I highly doubt Weir will be, so I'd say there is currently a 70% chance that we will be getting a new leader in season 5 who is neither of those women. Who is this 'Allison Porter' character I keep hearing about?

I'm hoping that she is in the first three episodes and is forced to leave the command post by the IOA after doing something reckless to save th city, making one more appearance at some point in the season (maybe the Daniel ep/s) and then I would like her back somehow for the finale.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM
That is most likely the case. NBCU said guest appearances so, that makes me think it will be less than 10. :S

Well maybey but I doubt it.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'm dissapointed. I doubt Carter will be leader next year, and I highly doubt Weir will be, so I'd say there is currently a 70% chance that we will be getting a new leader in season 5 who is neither of those women. Who is this 'Allison Porter' character I keep hearing about?

I'm hoping that she is in the first three episodes and is forced to leave the command post by the IOA after doing something reckless to save th city, making one more appearance at some point in the season (maybe the Daniel ep/s) and then I would like her back somehow for the finale.

I really doubt that. Most likely she will be the commander.

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 09:55 AM

I think the best thing to do is to film Carter for half a season. They find Weir in the 2nd half something happens to where they rescue her, and she resumes command of Atlantis. That would be the best way to handle it , imo.

I don't want anyone new. I was cool with these changes, but no more changes, please. Either go back to the way things sorta were, or just cast Carter and leave her as leader and let her appear when mostly needed.

Hmmm we are going to get a lot of those " Col Carter said it was a go" type scenes. :S

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:01 AM

yeah I think so too. her role might be reduced but she'll still be base commander

I think the best thing to do is to film Carter for half a season. They find Weir in the 2nd half something happens to where they rescue her, and she resumes command of Atlantis. That would be the best way to handle it , imo.

dude I'll be honest that would really suck imo

I don't want anyone new. I was cool with these changes, but no more changes, please. Either go back to the way things sorta were, or just cast Carter and leave her as leader and let her appear when mostly needed.

I agree no more changes. however going back to how things were during s1-3 would be lame imo, a lot of things have changed in the past year and Atlantis evolved. it would ruin a lot if they'd just go back

Hmmm we are going to get a lot of those " Col Carter said it was a go" type scenes. :S

not if they only show her when she's needed

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Season 4 was just a bad dream, Weir wakes up and we're into season 5 with Weir as leader... where she belongs! ;)

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Season 4 was just a bad dream, Weir wakes up and we're into season 5 with Weir as leader... where she belongs! ;)God, I hope not.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
Season 4 was just a bad dream, Weir wakes up and we're into season 5 with Weir as leader... where she belongs! ;)

yeah right :rolleyes: :P

Mitchell82
yeah I think so too. her role might be reduced but she'll still be base commander

I agree no more changes. however going back to how things were during s1-3 would be lame imo, a lot of things have changed in the past year and Atlantis evolved. it would ruin a lot if they'd just go back

Agreed. They won't do what Brian is affraid of IMO.

Mitchell82

Oh god please no.

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 10:05 AM

Oh wait I figured it out, the new leader of Atlantis....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l224/Jacks_Icons/Stargate/Rodney/Rodney57.jpg

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 10:07 AM

It has been said that 'Amanda will have several guest appearances'. That to me says she won't be Commander in season 5, and if she goes back to Earth, I want her to go doing something great.

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 10:09 AM
It has been said that 'Amanda will have several guest appearances'. That to me says she won't be Commander in season 5, and if she goes back to Earth, I want her to go doing something great.

See NBCU could of twisted the words as well. To be recurring, full-time, and guest appearing are all 3 different kind of roles. So we will hopefully know more on Monday.

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 10:10 AM

No, thanks. Season 4 has totally changed the show, and I want it to continue going forward, I want to continue with the new Wraith developments, with the Teyla arc, and with Weir's new storyline. We know Weir is back at some point, just not for how long. Same with Carter now.

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 10:11 AM
Both shows will be filmed at the same time and tapping has a family, I doubt she will be doing a lot of SGA. I do not believe Weir will be back as leader of Atlantis, but to bring in a new leader... I really don't want that.

I do hope Weir returns as a commander in the second half of the season, but that would mean TPTB have to admit they were wrong letting Torri go in the first place and they will never do that. Or, perhaps never say never...

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 10:11 AM
See NBCU could of twisted the words as well. To be recurring, full-time, and guest appearing are all 3 different kind of roles. So we will hopefully know more on Monday.

Hopefully:)

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM

Sorry I don't agree. SHe can still be the commander an have several eps. I doubt they would replce her in season 5 it would not make sense.

JohnRico
January 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM
What happens on Monday with us getting more Season 5 news ?

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM

um no that's not true. the article mentioned

Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season.

it's basically the same thing what the article morjana posted earlier said: 'several eps'. just because this article used the 'guest' doesn't mean that AT will only be a 'guest' star in s5. several eps is more than 'a few' and less than 'a lot'. we don't see a lot of Carter in s4 which imo means she'll be back for 6-12 eps

:indeed:

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry I don't agree. SHe can still be the commander an have several eps. I doubt they would replce her in season 5 it would not make sense.

I hope so.

Jumper_One
What happens on Monday with us getting more Season 5 news ?

there'll be a SCI FI press release concerning the s5 cast ;)

Mitchell82
@Mitchell82

I hope so.

*Crosses fingers an toes*

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM

What's this about NBCU? I thought we only had the one Hollywood Reporter article?

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
What's this about NBCU? I thought we only had the one Hollywood Reporter article?

http://www.nbcumv.com/scifi/release_detail.nbc/scifi-20080131000000-scifichannelfinds.html

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.nbcumv.com/scifi/release_detail.nbc/scifi-20080131000000-scifichannelfinds.html

it's nothing new though, just another article saying she'll be back for several eps ;)

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 10:32 AM
it's nothing new though, just another article saying she'll be back for several eps ;)

Actually, they used the word "Guest" and "Appearing" so that is something to raise an eyebrow over.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Actually, they used the word "Guest" and "Appearing" so that is something to raise an eyebrow over.

I still don't see the difference between 'being in several eps' or 'returning as a guest in several eps', it's pretty much the same thing imo

Chrysalis
January 31st, 2008, 10:45 AM

To you.

Just like replacing Weir didn't make sense to us, but we got attacked for saying it.

Ah, the irony of it all.

ToasterOnFire
January 31st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Okay, there's no way "several" means 10 eps or half the season. So either the term several is being used incorrectly or Tapping will be in far fewer than 10 eps. I'm betting 7 at the most, more likely 2-5. What a damn mess. Carter really has become little more than a placeholder. :mckay:

I think it's the woman seen in Quarantine with Chuck in the main control area. No way she's going to be leader, but the way TPTB is going I'd say anything is possible. :rolleyes:

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 10:53 AM
To you.

Just like replacing Weir didn't make sense to us, but we got attacked for saying it.

Ah, the irony of it all.

Mitch means it wouldn't make sense to bring in Carter for only one season and get Weir back in s5. it'd be as if s4 hadn't happened

Rocky89
January 31st, 2008, 10:59 AM
Carter in the first half, then Weir takes over again in the second half...

Where'd you get that idea from? As long as she's still in the opening credits, that's good.
Please be in the opening credits. :(

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Okay, there's no way "several" means 10 eps or half the season. So either the term several is being used incorrectly or Tapping will be in far fewer than 10 eps. I'm betting 7 at the most, more likely 2-5. What a damn mess. Carter really has become little more than a placeholder. :mckay:

yeah right 'several' means 2-5 eps. so why didn't they use the term 'a few'? because that'd be 2-5 eps, 'several' is definitely more than 5 eps. Carter's still base commander in s5, they gotta show her when important stuff happens. TBTB did the same with Hammond several years ago

I think it's the woman seen in Quarantine with Chuck in the main control area. No way she's going to be leader, but the way TPTB is going I'd say anything is possible. :rolleyes:

yeah that's her but she won't be head of the Atlantis base

gange57
January 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Where'd you get that idea from? As long as she's still in the opening credits, that's good.

I don't think main cast members make "guest appearances."

stclare
January 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Mitch means it wouldn't make sense to bring in Carter for only one season and get Weir back in s5. it'd be as if s4 hadn't happened

I already pretend its an au ;)

on a serious note, i would think that season 4 has proved that you dont need the leader in each ep. so wether it be 2 or 10 eps shes in as long as it serves the story being told (not the other way round) i cant see the problem.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM

yeah I totally agree

um who said she'll be making guest appearances??? guests return for 'a few' eps, Carter will be back for 'several' eps ;)

jckfan55
January 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with Sky that they probably haven't hammered out exactly how many episodes yet. If it's fewer than 10, I bet they'll go back to one of their previous ideas and make her a ship commander who comes to Atlantis periodically.

I'm glad to get Sam for as many episodes as they give us & AT wants to do. I do hope they use her well when she's on though, particularly if it's only going to be 4 or 5 episodes.

ToasterOnFire
January 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
yeah right 'several' means 2-5 eps. so why didn't they use the term 'a few'? because that'd be 2-5 eps, 'several' is definitely more than 5 eps.
Come on, there's no way several means half the season. No, several could mean any number more than 2-3, but not many. As in: "Torri was in several episodes in season four." Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

Nope, so if the news is correct then Tapping is no longer a main cast member and will not be in the main credits. Like what happened with Torri. Irony times two! ;)

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Darren just posted this...

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/01/sci_fi_picks_up_tappings_isanctu.shtml

Hmm no wonder Joe M said he would be expecting a heavy mailbag. :S

FoolishPleasure
January 31st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Saying "several" or "guest appearances" means one thing - she is no longer a reg. The releases aren't even referring to her as recurring.

We can only speculate how many episodes Amanda will be in, but my guess it that it can't be too many. She will star and produce "Sanctuary" and that won't leave much time for SGA.

gange57
January 31st, 2008, 11:21 AM
yeah I totally agree

um who said she'll be making guest appearances??? guests return for 'a few' eps, Carter will be back for 'several' eps ;)

"In addition to her producing and starring turns on Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season."

http://nbcumv.com/scifi/release_detail.nbc/scifi-20080131000000-scifichannelfinds.html

FoolishPleasure
January 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Just up on SyFyPortal:

While fans of the Web series "Sanctuary" have good news from SciFi Channel in its decision to pick it up as a television series, "Stargate: Atlantis" fans have something to mourn: Amanda Tapping's stint as a regular on the show will end when the fourth season ends in early spring.
Tapping, who starred in the online version of "Sanctuary," plans to follow the show onto the cable channel thus limiting her availability for "Atlantis," a role she took on following the end of the 10-year run of "Stargate SG-1."

That doesn't mean there won't be any Samantha Carter for Season 5, however. SciFi Channel officials said that Tapping will make guest appearances on "several episode" of "Atlantis" during its fifth season, but will still be more focused on the 13-episode order of "Sanctuary," which she plays Dr. Helen Magnus, a woman on a quest to track down, aid and protect all manner of strange creatures that walk the Earth.

http://www.syfyportal.com/news424678.html

ReganX
January 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM

While I'd love to see Weir back if Sam leaves, I hope they don't erase Season Four. It's been fabulous so far.

Platschu
January 31st, 2008, 11:33 AM
I think the best way to write her out, if she returns to Earth to live in Washingon with Jack, because they will be married officially. That would be a nice end for her character, but so she can return if the plot needs her in Atlantis. ;)

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Come on, there's no way several means half the season. No, several could mean any number more than 2-3, but not many. As in: "Torri was in several episodes in season four." Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that 'several' means half the season but it's definitely more than 2 or 3 because that'd be 'a few' eps, not 'several'. and I also don't see the irony you're referring to. Weir was not in several eps this season, she was in a few (2-4). 'several' means more than 5 and less than 12 imo

Nope, so if the news is correct then Tapping is no longer a main cast member and will not be in the main credits. Like what happened with Torri. Irony times two! ;)

again two totally different situations. TBTB will probably just write around AT's schedule and IF the show gets picked up for another season and IF AT still wants to be a part of it, they could increase her role again in s6

Darren just posted this...

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/01/sci_fi_picks_up_tappings_isanctu.shtml

Hmm no wonder Joe M said he would be expecting a heavy mailbag. :S

the Atlantis writers will simply write around her schedule more
I think that's what's gonna happen

"In addition to her producing and starring turns on Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season."

http://nbcumv.com/scifi/release_detail.nbc/scifi-20080131000000-scifichannelfinds.html

right, 'guest appearances on several eps'. there's a difference between being a guest and making guest appearances in several eps

blue-skyz
January 31st, 2008, 11:39 AM
yeah right 'several' means 2-5 eps. so why didn't they use the term 'a few'? because that'd be 2-5 eps, 'several' is definitely more than 5 eps.
No use focusing on the word several.
It’s most likely a way of saying that she is also going to be in S5 of SGA and they don’t have a clue beyond that.

Sanctuary is 13 episodes, SGA is 20. Extra time at both ends of Sanctuary?
They both tape in the same city, I presume. Probably in the same studio complex. So taping a few scenes at a time might not be too difficult.

S5 has not even been written. They should be able to write around AT’s schedule, they did this season.

I would like to see Carter have to go back to Earth for a while for some reason and have Caldwell be temporary commander for about 3 episodes. He and Sheppard could have some interesting conflict. Sheppard could be left in command for a few episodes. I think it would be fun if Sheppard was in command and they sent Woolsey to handle the administrative crap.

Chrysalis
January 31st, 2008, 11:39 AM
yeah I totally agree

And Torri was recurring 'for some time' in season four. That added up to four episodes.

ToasterOnFire
January 31st, 2008, 11:43 AM
'several' means more than 5 and less than 12 imo
Check a dictionary. :D

right, 'guest appearances on several eps'. there's a difference between being a guest and making guest appearances in several eps
Either way she's out of the main cast and credits.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:45 AM
It’s most likely a way of saying that she is also going to be in S5 of SGA and they don’t have a clue beyond that.

They both tape in the same city, I presume. Probably in the same studio complex. So taping a few scenes at a time might not be too difficult.

S5 has not even been written. They should be able to write around AT’s schedule, they did this season.

I would like to see Carter have to go back to Earth for a while for some reason and have Caldwell be temporary commander for about 3 episodes. He and Sheppard could have some interesting conflict. Sheppard could be left in command for a few episodes. I think it would be fun if Sheppard was in command and they sent Woolsey to handle the administrative crap.

see that's exactly what I mean. someone says she'll be in 'several' eps next season an people begin to worry. why? she's in several eps in s4, not 'a few' and not 'a lot'. then someone else uses the word 'guest' and suddenly it's only 2-4 eps. wtf??? so AT might not be a regular next season, so what? she'll most likely still be base commander and as such appear in several eps (lol see I used it myself). that's more than 6 eps but less than 14, nothing wrong with that imo

And Torri was recurring 'for some time' in season four. That added up to four episodes.

where does 'guest' end and 'recurring' start?

timtonruben359
January 31st, 2008, 11:46 AM
With this news, I doubt Carter will be in more than a handful of episodes. It's more likely Amanada will be in the first 2 or 3 episodes and make a few guest stints. Carter will probably transfer back to Earth either back to the SGC or to Area 51.

I hope the writers will not have her in 10 episodes and keep her around as base commander. 14 episodes was pushing it for me. I think we'll have a new leader in season 5.

GoSpikey
January 31st, 2008, 11:47 AM
I had no special liking for Weir, and it's nice to see Amanda on the show, even if it's just for a few min in each episode, but honestly, why kick Torri out of Amanda is (probably?) going over to a guest star?

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Check a dictionary. :D

please enlighten me

Either way she's out of the main cast and credits.

so? AT may not have even been in the credits this season if we'd only seen her in 10-12 eps

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just what a mess...

Weir kicked out after three years, a character that had a lot of potential but was severly underused, and replaced by Carter as leader who is now (after one season) being severly reduced.

I doubt they bring Weir back as a leader (Torri has said she doesn't want to be back full time and TPTB will never admit that they had made a mistake) and therefor they will or reduce the leader role even more (because Amanda has other priorities) than they did this year or (and this is most likely) will bring in a new leader again.

They have made a mess of things in my opinion.

ReganX
January 31st, 2008, 11:54 AM
I think the best way to write her out, if she returns to Earth to live in Washingon with Jack, because they will be married officially. That would be a nice end for her character, but so she can return if the plot needs her in Atlantis. ;)

That'd be nice.

gange57
January 31st, 2008, 11:55 AM

Yeah, that is why I said "guest appearance." ;)

Erised
January 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM

I was raised to believe that "several" means two, but I during my life I learned that "several" can mean 3-4 as well. I have never, however, heard of "several" being used to describe "14" or "more than 14."
:p

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, that is why I said "guest appearance." ;)

right but a guest star will only appear for max 4 eps, hence 'guest'. the article also says 'several eps' which imo increases the number of eps. AT won't be a guest star, she'll at least be a recurring character

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 12:00 PM
So um who is watching the Super Bowl this weekend? :S

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:02 PM
I was raised to believe that "several" means two, but I during my life I learned that "several" can mean 3-4 as well. I have never, however, heard of "several" being used to describe "14" or "more than 14."
:p

who said anything about 14 eps? we all agree that Carter will be in less eps this season. so what does 'a few' mean? Weir's in a few eps in s4, Keller's in several imo

Erised
January 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM
who said anything about 14 eps? we all agree that Carter will be in less eps this season. so what does 'a few' mean? Weir's in a few eps in s4, Keller's in several imo

14 episodes is what she had in season 4, or at least that's what we've been told. So, the question "is it the same, more or less than this season?" Means "is it 14, more, or less in season 5?"

Vala_M
January 31st, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad since Sam never belonged in Atlantis and on the other, unless we're getting Weir back, I am not looking forward to yet another new leader.

Vala,

Erised
January 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I'm glad since Sam never belonged in Atlantis and on the other, unless we're getting Weir back, I am not looking forward to yet another new leader.

Vala,

Just wait.
It will be Hammond :D That'd be fun!
Then I'd write a fic about how the Cheyenne Mountain base was remodeled to look like an ancient city because everyone got sick of the boring, gray walls.

gange57
January 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM
right but a guest star will only appear for max 4 eps, hence 'guest'. the article also says 'several eps' which imo increases the number of eps. AT won't be a guest star, she'll at least be a recurring character

Yeah...so she will be making guest appearances. I haven't said anything about her being a guest star, nor have I brought up her number of episodes. I'm not following you.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:15 PM
To you.

Ah, the irony of it all.

As I recall I did not attack anyone. Having someone take command of Atlantis other tahn Carter makes no logical sense.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Actually, she'll be in fewer episodes, not 'less'.

right...

And you know what really gets me? A year on, after all the crap that's gone on, certain Carter fans still can't make comments without having a dig at Weir fans.

whoa! I didn't say anything negative about Weir, just used her and Keller as an example (4 eps -> 'a few' / more than 5 eps -> several). do I like Carter? yes. do I want her in s5? yes. do I like Weir? she's an ok character, I like her as much as Teyla or Ronon. do I want her in s5? yes. am I a die hard Weir fan like you? no. so what?

You still have Amanda in Sanctuary, for crying out loud. It's something she wants to do. Stop the *****ing about Torri and the 'Well is still doesn't mean she'll be in more episodes' snarking.

I never said that

Things change when the shoe's on the other foot, don't they? Welcome to our world.

thanks but you don't need to remind me of that, it's not as if this is the first time a character I like has been reduced or left a show ;)

prion
I quoted the NBC/Universal press release, which I figure is the most accurate one but also says AT is 'guest' and asked what 'several episodes' meant. We'll see if he replies ;)

Mitchell82

Agreed.

prion
January 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah...so she will be making guest appearances. I haven't said anything about her being a guest star, nor have I brought up her number of episodes. I'm not following you.

'Guest' means not regular. She could very well be a 'special guest star' but if she's busy working on 13 episodes of Sanctuary - producing and starring - that's going to definitely cut into her time on SGA. Hmm, maybe it's time for Caldwell to get the command ;)

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
14 episodes is what she had in season 4, or at least that's what we've been told. So, the question "is it the same, more or less than this season?" Means "is it 14, more, or less in season 5?"

it's less than 14 eps imo

Just wait.
It will be Hammond :D That'd be fun!
Then I'd write a fic about how the Cheyenne Mountain base was remodeled to look like an ancient city because everyone got sick of the boring, gray walls.

:lol:

IDK why they used the word 'guest' because 'several' and 'guest' don't belong together. I apologize for anything else I might've thought you'd said

As I recall I did not attack anyone. Having someone take command of Atlantis other tahn Carter makes no logical sense.

right it wouldn't make sense (at least not at this point)

Platschu
January 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM
Neither Weir, nor Carter won't be series regular again. So I think it is time to stop the disgusting celebration of the news about AT and Sanctuary. She will have a main role in a new series, so I am happy that her carrier began to shine without SG too, but it doesn't mean that I would like to not see her again. She will be a part of our SG family. Forever.

Vala_M
January 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
I knew that Carter would never stay a leader, if she couldn't lead SG-1, then how are we supposed to believe that she could command Atlantis?

It's just like in SG-1:
Season 1-7 - Hammond
Season 8 - Jack
Season 9 and 10 - Landry

Atlantis:
Season 1-3 - Weir
Season 4 - Sam
Season 5-? Someone like Landry maybe

I just hope they go with another woman commander to keep Atlantis that much more separate from SG-1.

Vala,

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
it's less than 14 eps imo

IDK why they used the word 'guest' because 'several' and 'guest' don't belong together. I apologize for anything else I might've thought you'd said

right it wouldn't make sense (at least not at this point)
My guess is around 7-10 and yeah it would make no sense.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:27 PM
I knew that Carter would never stay a leader, if she couldn't lead SG-1, then how are we supposed to believe that she could command Atlantis?

It's just like in SG-1:
Season 1-7 - Hammond
Season 8 - Jack
Season 9 and 10 - Landry

Atlantis:
Season 1-3 - Weir
Season 4 - Sam

I just hope they go with another woman commander to keep Atlantis that much more separate from SG-1.

Vala,
This I disagree with. She led Sg-1 well in season 8 and she did a fine job co comanding SG-1 in seasons 9 and 10. She also has done a great job with comanding Atlantis IMO and she can still do that even with a reduced role.

GoSpikey
January 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Omg, what about... Vala! :lol:

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 12:28 PM
Well no matter what happens, no matter how many episodes she is or isn't in it makes a mockery of what has gone before.

What was the point?

I read something like this...'The actress crossed over to Atlantis last year as part of her 2-year deal with the studio, after Stargate SG-1 was not renewed for an eleventh season. Her long-term commitment to the show was never certain.' and I just want to SCREAM.:(

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
folks. folks, folks

Let's not get our knickers in a twist

'several' is a relative term and could literally mean anything from 3-18

Since several has no real quantitative definition, let's lose the arguing about how many episodes it means.

How about trying something novel and DISCUSSING a topic without taking pot shots at others or whining about ancient history.

Let's wait until monday when we get something definite, THEN you can whine, cry, moan, complain, cheer or otherwise express yourselves. :)

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM

It's just like in SG-1:
Season 1-7 - Hammond
Season 8 - Jack
Season 9 and 10 - Landry

she couldn't lead SG-1? how so? just because TBTB decided to bring in a new male lead character after RDA left the show doesn't mean Carter was unable to lead the team (which she successfully did in s8, and it wouldn't have made any sense to promote her to General in s9)

Atlantis:
Season 1-3 - Weir
Season 4 - Sam

Vala,

TBTB will most likely just write around AT's schedule, much like this season

GoSpikey
January 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, let's assume "The Last Man" is indeed a time travel ep, and Rodney tells Sheppard that x years from Shep's starting point on, Carter is still leading Atlantis... That's a mistake, already... :S

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM
My guess is around 7-10 and yeah it would make no sense.

that'd be my guess too

'several' is a relative term and could literally mean anything from 3-18

exactly

Celcool
January 31st, 2008, 12:32 PM
'Guest' means not regular. She could very well be a 'special guest star' but if she's busy working on 13 episodes of Sanctuary - producing and starring - that's going to definitely cut into her time on SGA. Hmm, maybe it's time for Caldwell to get the command ;)

If Torri couldn't be given the special guest star status in her own show then Amanda shouldn't be given that title either. Just saying, we don't know anything about that yet.

flynn1959
BTW, they had a cast member who did have a long term commitment to the show and guess what? They got rid of her!

As for Tapping I am pleased to see she has another show to go to. I don't get Sci Fi and after watching one episode of Sanctuary I am very glad I don't! LOL imo it was dire. Funny, yes, but I suspect not intentionally so.

Mitchell82
Well no matter what happens, no matter how many episodes she is or isn't in it makes a mockery of what has gone before.

What was the point?

I read something like this...'The actress crossed over to Atlantis last year as part of her 2-year deal with the studio, after Stargate SG-1 was not renewed for an eleventh season. Her long-term commitment to the show was never certain.' and I just want to SCREAM.:(

I don't see your point. We knew it was possible that she may or may not be back it happens. Whether or not she has a reduced role does not make a mockery make.

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 12:33 PM
now, not as a mod but as a poster....folks, if Sam is really gone from commanding teh city, you better start considering the possibility that the city could get a new commander.

Cause i'm seeing three possibilities

Sam stays as CO but in a very reduced role
Someone new is assigned and Sam transfers, possibly to a ship (maybe sam and caldwell swap??? or she gets her own)

And i'm sorry, i just don't see Weir returning full time as commander of the city. If she does return in some capacity, it won't be until the second half of the season and i just can't see the IOA handing her her job back.

it IS a possibilty, but, honestly, i'd see Jack coming to command the city before i'd see Weir returning

The character's story path has just divurged too far for her to just hit the reset switch and go back

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 12:33 PM
If Torri couldn't be given the special guest star status in her own show then Amanda shouldn't be given that title either.

Yes! My thoughts exactly.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM
now, not as a mod but as a poster....folks, if Sam is really gone from commanding teh city, you better start considering the possibility that the city could get a new commander.

Someone new is assigned and Sam transfers, possibly to a ship (maybe sam and caldwell swap??? or she gets her own)
I'd go with she still commands the city but is taken down to a recurring role around 7-10 eps.

And i'm sorry, i just don't see Weir returning full time as commander of the city. If she does return in some capacity, it won't be until the second half of the season and i just can't see the IOA handing her her job back.

it IS a possibilty, but, honestly, i'd see Jack coming to command the city before i'd see Weir returning

The character's story path has just divurged too far for her to just hit the reset switch and go back

Agreed none of these options seem likely.

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Actually, she'll be in fewer episodes, not 'less'.

And you know what really gets me? A year on, after all the crap that's gone on, certain Carter fans still can't make comments without having a dig at Weir fans.

You still have Amanda in Sanctuary, for crying out loud. It's something she wants to do. Stop the *****ing about Torri and the 'Well is still doesn't mean she'll be in more episodes' snarking.

Things change when the shoe's on the other foot, don't they? Welcome to our world.

Who's having a dig at Weir fans? Who is *****ing about Torri? If anything, I've heard more *****ing about Amanda/Carter. If people want to think that several means more than 3-4, then let them, and stop constantly trying to tell them they're wrong.

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 12:38 PM
I don't see your point. We knew it was possible that she may or may not be back it happens. Whether or not she has a reduced role does not make a mockery make.

My point is, why replace Weir with Carter? Why upset a great many fans? Why mess with the show's dynamic? Why mess with the character's chemistry?

Did it improve ratings? No.

Imo it is a mockery that could so easily have been avoided. The changes were not needed, not wanted and have acheived nothing.:(

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM

And let's not forget that Torri has already said that she wouldn't come back full time even if they did ask her. If she could be persuaded somehow that would be amazing, after all Daniel came back full time in season seven, so it can be done.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:41 PM
My point is, why replace Weir with Carter? Why upset a great many fans? Why mess with the show's dynamic? Why mess with the character's chemistry?

Imo it is a mockery that could so easily have been avoided. The changes were not needed, not wanted and have acheived nothing.:(

With that I disagree. Ratings have not dropped the are very steady and improving and the mockery IMO was trying to have Atlantis be a civilian operation. Weir was not the one who should have ran Atlantis depsite the fact she did gro on me. I will stop here however as this does not need to turn into another Carter vs Weir. Carter will be in season 5 just with a reduced role.

saberhagen83
January 31st, 2008, 12:42 PM
This news is a mixed bag for me. I'm really happy to see that Sanctuary will make it to TV for 13 episodes. I really liked what I saw from the internet series. But at the same time it would possibly mean a reduced role for AT on SGA. Now I'm not gonna speculate to much on "several", it means different for different people. To me it sounds like 5+ at least. So I see a couple of scenarios here.

1, Carter will still be in command but we'll only see her when she is really needed for the actual story. Beeing on Atlantis for an entire ep witout her might work once or twice, but it would seem strange not to have her involved in such a storyline at some point... ;) With stories that takes mostly place off-world would take care of that problem.

2, Carter will take up a different position, say a ship commander. Or she will take up another position on Earth, but will be working with the Atlantis teams on certain occasions.

3, The word "several" is in the end "a few" and they will wrap up her story on Atlantis in the beginning of the season and bring in a new commander.

I'm gonna go with 1 however. Making more changes now would likely hurt the show way to much. I never have had anything against Weir or Carson, and never really wanted any of them to go and I still miss Carson. Replacing Weir was never necessary IMHO, but brining in Carter made it a much easier transition for me. Now the worst thing that can happen is that either Weir takes command again (don't mind her, but with the direction and storylines...wouldn't be a good idea) or they bring in someone completely new and that is a fine line to walk, having to yet again introduce a new important character to the show.

If they will change command, I'd want Caldwell. We all know him and would make that transition much smoother. However I have no idea about Mitch's situation atm, if he is availible for more apperances on SGA or not. But I'm still gonna say that Carter will be in command, just she will likely not be a regular and will be in maybe 8-12 eps. That amount would actually be enough for me, there is no need to have her around to listen and then say "you have a go" or something. :D The show is in the end about the actual team Sheppard/McKay/Teyla/Ronon....just like SG1 was about...SG1. :jack:

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM
The episodes with the best ratings for this season were the ones with Weir in it.

I believe it was a mistake to take out Weir and giving us a one season special with Carter... Just what they did with Star Trek TNG and the two doctors (although I should be careful here cos I liked the season 2 CMO very much), but most people didn't and they changed it around again...

I hope it will happen on SGA, but I'm quite positive that it won't happen.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:46 PM

that's a different topic, ask Joe ;)

did they drop? no. are they steady? yes (btw are you comparing s4 and s3? because if you are, remember DVR, C3, rating points are worth more etc ;))

your opinion :)

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:50 PM
The episodes with the best ratings for this season were the ones with Weir in it.
Not all of them. Some of the best ratings were ones she wasnt in as well.

I believe it was a mistake to take out Weir and giving us a one season special with Carter... Just what they did with Star Trek TNG and the two doctors (although I should be careful here cos I liked the season 2 CMO very much), but most people didn't and they changed it around again...
I disagree. Weir was never the best leader. She went back and forth from being a good leader to not so good. Also they wouldnt have known if Scifi would pick up Sanctuary at the time. Carter will remain as leader at least in season 5.

blue-skyz
this does not need to turn into another Carter vs Weir.
Oh God, please be so kind. :S

Skydiver
Let's see if we can NOT break into arguements about this.

What's happened has happened. And you can't change the past. And, honestly, expressing yourself here won't change the future. I'm willing to bet that plans were made and numbers verbally agreed on days/weeks ago. Today is likely just a matter of making things official and hitting the notary (or whatever the canadian equivalent is)

How about EVERYONE ramp down the passion a little and remember that this is a mixed thread, open to folks of any persuasion and temper your comments to NOT rile people up, bait them or do your best to rub thier faces in you 'winning' or 'losing'

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:51 PM

um actually the ep with the best ratings and viewership was BAMSR (1.4 and 2 mil viewers for live +sd) and nobody knew about Weir's appearance ;) also SoW and Harmony achieved the same live +sd rating than Adrift (1.2) and even higher than TMC

flynn1959
January 31st, 2008, 12:52 PM
With that I disagree. Ratings have not dropped the are very steady and improving and the mockery IMO was trying to have Atlantis be a civilian operation. Weir was not the one who should have ran Atlantis depsite the fact she did gro on me. I will stop here however as this does not need to turn into another Carter vs Weir. Carter will be in season 5 just with a reduced role.

Yes ratings have fallen, they are measured a different way now and include many people who were not included before. All the rest is spin. As in a 1.2 being 'respectable' now when a year ago it would have been dire.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Yes ratings have fallen, they are measured a different way now and include many people who were not included before. All the rest is spin. As in a 1.2 being 'respectable' now when a year ago it would have been dire.

Sorry no you're quite incorrect.

Ebeneezer_Goode
January 31st, 2008, 12:54 PM

I hope it will happen on SGA, but I'm quite positive that it won't happen.

That's a bit misleading to be honest, the highest rated episode was BAMSR a heavily promoted episode that no one even knew she was going to be in! After that there's Adrift, Spoils of War and Harmony, Weir being only in Adrift out of the three in which she had a tiny role, the episode that followed was a Weir heavy one that saw a drop in ratings. So to say that the episodes that rated highest did so well because of Weir is a bit dishonest, if not a downright lie.

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Enough of the ratings please.

We have whole threads to devote to that numbers game. And since ratings are statistics, they can be made to say whatever folks want them to say.

The topic is 'tapping in several episodes'.

You want to argue about ratings, take it to the ratings thread.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry no you're quite incorrect.

Uh? No they weren't :confused:

:indeed:

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Well I disagree, but apparently I'm not allowed to talk about ratings here.

Anyhow, we'll see what happens. Weir could return at the end of the season in my opinion, but so could Carter if her series doesn't work out. Exciting times. As long as Torri is in the 100th episode. (I'm fine with Carter being in that one as well)

saberhagen83
January 31st, 2008, 01:00 PM

Well it's impossible to tell anyway. They aired S1-3 in the summer and changed times for this season, and started later. Which adds more competition. Who knows how S1-3 would have fared at this period? The show has seen falling ratings for each and every season. There is nothing to indicate it wouldn't have dropped even without the changes. They saw a need to change things, and they did...so it maybe didn't really turn out the way they had hoped. But at least the ratings are stable. And if I'm not misstaken ratings are down pretty much everywhere this season...

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Well it's impossible to tell anyway. They aired S1-3 in the summer and changed times for this season, and started later. Which adds more competition. Who knows how S1-3 would have fared at this period? The show has seen falling ratings for each and every season. There is nothing to indicate it wouldn't have dropped even without the changes. They saw a need to change things, and they did...so it maybe didn't really turn out the way they had hoped. But at least the ratings are stable. And if I'm not misstaken ratings are down pretty much everywhere this season...

Again, ratings are good. I believe BAMSR got the best numbers since The Real World, and that had a big boost from SG-1's 200th anyway.

But like Sky says, we shouldn't discuss them here. There are other, dedicated places.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Again, ratings are good. I believe BAMSR got the best numbers since The Real World, and that had a big boost from SG-1's 200th anyway.

But like Sky says, we shouldn't discuss them here. There are other, dedicated places.

you're right they are good, BAMSR got the best ratings and viewers this season and we still don't know the live +7 number. if anyone wants to talk ratings let's head to the appropriate thread

Steve_the_Wraith
January 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Sanctuary is 13 episodes and starts filming in march

SGA starts filming its first 11 episodes in Febuary and then takes a couple of months off before filming the remaining 9 in summer

Add to that Sanctuary unlike Stargate is filmed almost entirely on green screen so the average episode probably takes a lot less time to film

What I see happening is Carter appearing at the beginning of the season as usual but then taking a much reduced role in early season 5 and then taking a more active role later in the season

SGFerrit
January 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM

SGA starts filming its first 11 episodes in Febuary and then takes a couple of months off before filming the remaining 9 in summer

Add to that Sanctuary unlike Stargate is filmed almost entirely on green screen so the average episode probably takes a lot less time to film

What I see happening is Carter appearing at the beginning of the season as usual but then taking a much reduced role in early season 5 and then taking a more active role later in the season

Hm, I never thought of it like that. It's very possible.

Livingstone
January 31st, 2008, 01:33 PM
But Tapping isn't only acting in Sanctuary, she also is an important crewmember of that series.

Dr Weir
January 31st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Tapping, who co-starred on that series last season, will return for several episodes.
Boo!

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM

interesting, thanks for the comparison :)

so basically what happened in the first half of s4. like I said TBTB will most likely write around her schedule, much like this season. crazy idea but maybe Carter gets kidnapped or anything else happens to the character in an ep which is then followed by ie two Carter-less eps where the team looks for her I know this sounds exactly what's gonna happen to Teyla in 'The Kindred' but it's just an idea ;)

Alan
January 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Don't worry everyone your not suffering from Deja Vu. What's written below I originally wrote in the Sam/Jack thread because it has more relevance here and I didn't see any point in rewriting something I feel I put across pretty well the first time around:

I've had some time to process the news regarding Amanda's reduced role in Stargate: Atlantis and now I'm finding myself somewhat disappointed. After the dizzying first impact of the news I took "several episodes" to be just what she'd been doing in S4 and was happy with that and that there were of course more opportunities for keeping those Sam/Jack hints coming. But now it seems that "several episodes" may potentially mean less than the amount of episodes she appeared in in S4.

On the flip side of that coin, the more Sam appears as a regular there's more opportunities for TPTB to kill her off and that is something I *definitely* don't want. I don't know if they ever would, but that option would always be there as long as she's a regular character of an episodic series. So I'm oddly a tiny bit happy with her having a reduced role because now, hopefully, there'll be less opportunities for Sam to be potentially killed off...although whether that actually means anything for anyone in a recurring role is another thing all together. Probably not.

I suppose it all actually depends on the storyline and what Sam's reduced role is exactly. I suppose we'll just keep tuning in to see how it all pans out...but if TPTB don't keep Sam alive and send her back to Jack safe and sound then I can't be held responsible for my actions.

I'll also say that I only started watching Stargate: Atlantis "live" when Sam joined as a regular. It's McKay that puts me off the series but I knew that having Sam on board in S4 would more than make it worthwhile plus it would also continue her story for another year and that I was most definitely not going to miss. I do like Stargate: Atlantis and its characters (bar one) but don't feel as attached to them as I do with the characters of Stargate SG-1.

Rocky89
January 31st, 2008, 03:15 PM
yeah I totally agree

Thank you for agreeing. :)

I didn't say that 'several' means half the season but it's definitely more than 2 or 3 because that'd be 'a few' eps, not 'several'. and I also don't see the irony you're referring to. Weir was not in several eps this season, she was in a few (2-4). 'several' means more than 5 and less than 12 imo

again two totally different situations. TBTB will probably just write around AT's schedule and IF the show gets picked up for another season and IF AT still wants to be a part of it, they could increase her role again in s6

I think that's what's gonna happen

see that's exactly what I mean. someone says she'll be in 'several' eps next season an people begin to worry. why? she's in several eps in s4, not 'a few' and not 'a lot'. then someone else uses the word 'guest' and suddenly it's only 2-4 eps. wtf??? so AT might not be a regular next season, so what? she'll most likely still be base commander and as such appear in several eps (lol see I used it myself). that's more than 6 eps but less than 14, nothing wrong with that imo

where does 'guest' end and 'recurring' start?

Jumper One you are like the only one here making the most sense. Okay lets take a look at RDA/O'Neill for a minute. He clearly wasn't around very much in season 7 as he was in the first 6 seasons (I know why). But come season 8 he was back in action. He was a lot more in involved in the episodes particularly "Zero Hour". The reason I'm saying this is because it could also happen to Amanda. You've said a few times already that TBTB worked around her schedule this year, so I don't see why they can't next year.

And as for the part about her still being base commander, I still think/hope that she'll be, she could just-- like I said pull a S7 O'Neill and not be around much, and if she is back in S6 than her role could very well be increase. Plus to get another new letter now would hurt Atlantis and Carter fans :(.

And I also agree with you in your second post about people getting worried about when they see the words "several", "guest", or whatever. They see "several", and they think 5-10, then they see "guest" and they think 2-4. I mean does the number of episodes change whenever they see those words? :S

I agree. I would also imagine they're both in the same studio, so AT wouldn't have to go far to do both, plus it's almost the same crew on both shows. And you're also right about PTB writting around her schedule like this year. If they do, I don't think it would be as hard as last year, because next season she won't have the 2 SG1 movies to do, so that 2 less things for her to worry about. But if she did leave and go back to earth for a few episodes, doesn't mean she won't still be the leader, O'Neill had a few offworld missions in season 8. As long as she'd come back soon I wouldn't mind.

This I disagree with. She led Sg-1 well in season 8 and she did a fine job co comanding SG-1 in seasons 9 and 10. She also has done a great job with comanding Atlantis IMO and she can still do that even with a reduced role.

she couldn't lead SG-1? how so? just because TBTB decided to bring in a new male lead character after RDA left the show doesn't mean Carter was unable to lead the team (which she successfully did in s8, and it wouldn't have made any sense to promote her to General in s9)

TBTB will most likely just write around AT's schedule, much like this season

Both of you are so right, I thought she did just fine leading and co-leading the team in seasons 8-10. heck, somethimes she was more of a leader than O'Neill :samanime15:. And she's doing just fine as the leader as Atlantis, and she can still do so even with a reduced role. And who knows, like Jumper One said, if the show gets a season 6, maybe she'll have a bigger role than S4 and 5.

I'd go with she still commands the city but is taken down to a recurring role around 7-10 eps.

Agreed none of these options seem likely.

As long as she's on the show, and commands the city I'll be okay. :)

This news is a mixed bag for me. I'm really happy to see that Sanctuary will make it to TV for 13 episodes. I really liked what I saw from the internet series. But at the same time it would possibly mean a reduced role for AT on SGA. Now I'm not gonna speculate to much on "several", it means different for different people. To me it sounds like 5+ at least. So I see a couple of scenarios here.

1, Carter will still be in command but we'll only see her when she is really needed for the actual story. Beeing on Atlantis for an entire ep witout her might work once or twice, but it would seem strange not to have her involved in such a storyline at some point... ;) With stories that takes mostly place off-world would take care of that problem.

2, Carter will take up a different position, say a ship commander. Or she will take up another position on Earth, but will be working with the Atlantis teams on certain occasions.

3, The word "several" is in the end "a few" and they will wrap up her story on Atlantis in the beginning of the season and bring in a new commander.

I'm gonna go with 1 however. Making more changes now would likely hurt the show way to much. I never have had anything against Weir or Carson, and never really wanted any of them to go and I still miss Carson. Replacing Weir was never necessary IMHO, but brining in Carter made it a much easier transition for me. Now the worst thing that can happen is that either Weir takes command again (don't mind her, but with the direction and storylines...wouldn't be a good idea) or they bring in someone completely new and that is a fine line to walk, having to yet again introduce a new important character to the show.

If they will change command, I'd want Caldwell. We all know him and would make that transition much smoother. However I have no idea about Mitch's situation atm, if he is availible for more apperances on SGA or not. But I'm still gonna say that Carter will be in command, just she will likely not be a regular and will be in maybe 8-12 eps. That amount would actually be enough for me, there is no need to have her around to listen and then say "you have a go" or something. :D The show is in the end about the actual team Sheppard/McKay/Teyla/Ronon....just like SG1 was about...SG1. :jack:

I've got to go with your 1 too. Bringing back Weir, or another leader could hurt the show too much. The best thing IMHO would be to keep Carter in charge, and get her a involved as much as they can.

Not all of them. Some of the best ratings were ones she wasnt in as well.

I disagree. Weir was never the best leader. She went back and forth from being a good leader to not so good. Also they wouldnt have known if Scifi would pick up Sanctuary at the time. Carter will remain as leader at least in season 5.

:indeed: IMHO Carter is a much better leader than Weir, because she has over 10 years experience with this stuff, and she's always kept her cool and high spirit. in any situation. That's why she's a better leader, and why she should stay as the boss in S5.

I hope so too. And again like I said she could pull a S7 and S8 O'Neill and than comeback with more screen time. ;)

Boo!

Boo yourself :weiranime22:

Chelle DB
January 31st, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm just gonna jump into these waters rather quickly to say that I'm super glad that Amanda will be back on Atlantis...BUT...I hope TPTB are going to take care of our leading lady a lot better than they did with Elizabeth!
I really don't want to see Sam put into a situation that has her forced to leave as base commander or demoted in any way...I hope it's all good things for Sam...and Amanda!!

Whether or not that means Carter will step down as base commander, or the Atlantis writers will simply write around her schedule more, remains to be seen.

I can't imagine what would make Sam stand down as base commander...of course my shippy mind has ideas but I won't go there here...think I shall have to go home to the ship thread to discuss that one!!!:P:P

It's a good thing to have Amanda back...even if it is just for several episodes!! :D

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Sanctuary is 13 episodes and starts filming in marchSGA starts filming its first 11 episodes in Febuary and then takes a couple of months off before filming the remaining 9 in summerAdd to that Sanctuary unlike Stargate is filmed almost entirely on green screen so the average episode probably takes a lot less time to filmWhat I see happening is Carter appearing at the beginning of the season as usual but then taking a much reduced role in early season 5 and then taking a more active role later in the seasonThat is a really good theory. That what happened in S4.

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
More quotes:

In addition to her producing and starring turns on Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season.

Sanctuary will be produced by Stage 3 Media in association with the SCI FI Channel. Tricon Films and Television are worldwide distributors of the show.

While fans of the Web series "Sanctuary" have good news from SciFi Channel in its decision to pick it up as a television series, "Stargate: Atlantis" fans have something to mourn: Amanda Tapping's stint as a regular on the show will end when the fourth season ends in early spring. Tapping, who starred in the online version of "Sanctuary," plans to follow the show onto the cable channel thus limiting her availability for "Atlantis," a role she took on following the end of the 10-year run of "Stargate SG-1."

That doesn't mean there won't be any Samantha Carter for Season 5, however. SciFi Channel officials said that Tapping will make guest appearances on "several episode" of "Atlantis" during its fifth season, but will still be more focused on the 13-episode order of "Sanctuary," which she plays Dr. Helen Magnus

smurf
January 31st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I see a lot of people looking at guest and using it as a number base, but to me it is saying this is someone they like and are inviting onto the show. Not a hire-in but an old friend they want to have around - like a guest in the usual sense.

I think it's down to what AT wants to do, and I think she has obviously indicated to TPTB that her workload will fine enough to do a fair number of episodes for them to come up with "several".

JohnRico
January 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Is the Atlantis Crew really getting a break with filming ? I would think they would film all they can before summer. I guess what they can do is have any actor & actress part of the Actors Guild film all of their major scenes first & work around that or they have different stories if worst comes to worst & the Actors Guild goes on strike. I sure hope they have plans & we do not get screwed.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thank you for agreeing. :)

you're welcome

Jumper One you are like the only one here making the most sense.

wow thanks :) obviously I agree :P

Okay lets take a look at RDA/O'Neill for a minute. He clearly wasn't around very much in season 7 as he was in the first 6 seasons (I know why). But come season 8 he was back in action. He was a lot more in involved in the episodes particularly "Zero Hour". The reason I'm saying this is because it could also happen to Amanda. You've said a few times already that TBTB worked around her schedule this year, so I don't see why they can't next year.

yeah I'm hoping it'll be like this. interesting comparison btw, it's true O'Neill wasn't much in s7 but he was back for s8. the question is will the show get picked up for another season? and if it does is AT still interested in playing this character? I certainly hope so :)

And as for the part about her still being base commander, I still think/hope that she'll be, she could just-- like I said pull a S7 O'Neill and not be around much, and if she is back in S6 than her role could very well be increase. Plus to get another new letter now would hurt Atlantis and Carter fans :(.

I believe Carter will be base commander throughout s5. we may not see as much of her as in s4 but she'll be there. to introduce a new character as head of Atlantis would be very risky imo and I think TBTB know this

And I also agree with you in your second post about people getting worried about when they see the words "several", "guest", or whatever. They see "several", and they think 5-10, then they see "guest" and they think 2-4. I mean does the number of episodes change whenever they see those words? :S

yeah it's pretty strange... :P

I agree. I would also imagine they're both in the same studio, so AT wouldn't have to go far to do both, plus it's almost the same crew on both shows. And you're also right about PTB writting around her schedule like this year. If they do, I don't think it would be as hard as last year, because next season she won't have the 2 SG1 movies to do, so that 2 less things for her to worry about. But if she did leave and go back to earth for a few episodes, doesn't mean she won't still be the leader, O'Neill had a few offworld missions in season 8. As long as she'd come back soon I wouldn't mind.

AT was shooting SGA, AoT, Continuum and Sanctuary last year. I think she can handle shoting two shows

Both of you are so right, I thought she did just fine leading and co-leading the team in seasons 8-10. heck, somethimes she was more of a leader than O'Neill :samanime15:. And she's doing just fine as the leader as Atlantis, and she can still do so even with a reduced role. And who knows, like Jumper One said, if the show gets a season 6, maybe she'll have a bigger role than S4 and 5.

maybe not bigger than s4 but she should certainly be in more eps. again this is only the case IF AT wants to return and IF the show gets picked up

I've got to go with your 1 too. Bringing back Weir, or another leader could hurt the show too much. The best thing IMHO would be to keep Carter in charge, and get her a involved as much as they can.

I wouldn't say it'd hurt the show if Weir were back but s4 has introduced new characters and arcs. to just go back and do whatever worked during s1-3 would be wrong imo because the show has evolved and we can't just forget s4

:indeed: IMHO Carter is a much better leader than Weir, because she has over 10 years experience with this stuff, and she's always kept her cool and high spirit. in any situation. That's why she's a better leader, and why she should stay as the boss in S5.

I don't think Carter's a better leader than Weir. however the current situation in the PG calls for a base commander that has certain skills. Weir did a good job but Carter's much more experienced in this stuff. we are at war after all

I really don't want to see Sam put into a situation that has her forced to leave as base commander or demoted in any way...I hope it's all good things for Sam...and Amanda!!

I seriously doubt TBTB would ever do that. it'd be like demoting Jack and they sure don't consider that a possibility

I can't imagine what would make Sam stand down as base commander...of course my shippy mind has ideas but I won't go there here...think I shall have to go home to the ship thread to discuss that one!!!:P:P

It's a good thing to have Amanda back...even if it is just for several episodes!! :D

how many? :P

More quotes:

so the SciFi Channel officials never said anything about guest appearances, only that she'll be back for several eps

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 03:52 PM
so the SciFi Channel officials never said anything about guest appearances, only that she'll be back for several eps

No, they said guest appearances on several episodes.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM
No, they said guest appearances on several episodes.

SciFi Channel officials said that Tapping will make guest appearances on "several episode" of "Atlantis" during its fifth season

isn't this person quoting the SCI FI officials?

prion
January 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just to clarify:

THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE from NBC/Universal.

SCI FI CHANNEL FINDS 'SANCTUARY'
Published: January 31, 2008

Orders Full Season of New Live- Action/CGI Scripted Drama

NEW YORK -- January 31, 2008 -- The SCI FI Channel has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new original, scripted drama series Sanctuary, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming. Sanctuary is the first television series using live-action actors against mostly virtual sets and makes the leap to television from the Internet where it began as the World's first high-definition sci-fi Web series.

In the one-hour drama, Amanda Tapping (Stargate's Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) stars as the enigmatic Dr. Helen Magnus who, along with her young protégé, Will Zimmerman, played by Robin Dunne (Dawson's Creek, Species 3), are on a quest to track down, aid and protect all manner of strange creatures that walk the earth. The show's sets are 90% CGI and shot in the same cutting-edge style as the feature films 300 and Sin City. Sanctuary creator, Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1) and producer/director Martin Wood (Stargate Atlantis) are Executive Producers. Tapping and Sam Egan (Jeremiah, The Outer Limits, Masters of Science Fiction) also serve as Executive Producers. In addition to her producing and starring turns on Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season.

"'Sanctuary' promises to be a totally fresh television viewing experience," said Stern. "This stylistic approach to 'virtual sets' has proven hugely popular on the big screen, and we have been looking for a chance to use it on a television series. We've worked with Damian, Martin, Amanda, and Sam on numerous projects in the past, and think they are the perfect team to tackle something this ambitious."

Sanctuary will be produced by Stage 3 Media in association with the SCI FI Channel. Tricon Films and Television are worldwide distributors of the show.

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com ) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
isn't this person quoting the SCI FI officials?

yeeessssss? I'm not following you.

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 03:59 PM
Just to clarify:

THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE from NBC/Universal.

NEW YORK -- January 31, 2008 -- The SCI FI Channel has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new original, scripted drama series Sanctuary, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming. Sanctuary is the first television series using live-action actors against mostly virtual sets and makes the leap to television from the Internet where it began as the World's first high-definition sci-fi Web series.

In the one-hour drama, Amanda Tapping (Stargate's Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) stars as the enigmatic Dr. Helen Magnus who, along with her young protégé, Will Zimmerman, played by Robin Dunne (Dawson's Creek, Species 3), are on a quest to track down, aid and protect all manner of strange creatures that walk the earth. The show's sets are 90% CGI and shot in the same cutting-edge style as the feature films 300 and Sin City. Sanctuary creator, Damian Kindler (Stargate SG-1) and producer/director Martin Wood (Stargate Atlantis) are Executive Producers. Tapping and Sam Egan (Jeremiah, The Outer Limits, Masters of Science Fiction) also serve as Executive Producers. In addition to her producing and starring turns on Sanctuary, Amanda Tapping will also make guest appearances on several episodes of SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis during its 5th season.

"'Sanctuary' promises to be a totally fresh television viewing experience," said Stern. "This stylistic approach to 'virtual sets' has proven hugely popular on the big screen, and we have been looking for a chance to use it on a television series. We've worked with Damian, Martin, Amanda, and Sam on numerous projects in the past, and think they are the perfect team to tackle something this ambitious."

SCI FI Channel is a television network where "what if" is what's on. SCI FI fuels the imagination of viewers with original series and events, blockbuster movies and classic science fiction and fantasy programming, as well as a dynamic Web site (www.scifi.com ) and magazine. Launched in 1992, and currently in 93 million homes, SCI FI Channel is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

Thanks for the actual article Prion.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 04:04 PM
yeeessssss? I'm not following you.

lol sorry I made a mistake :o thanks for the clarification prion :)

morjana
January 31st, 2008, 04:05 PM
SGA / Sanctuary: Various Sources: Sanctuary Comes To SciFI

(Please follow the link for the complete articles. Most articles are reprints from the Hollywood Reporter, but I thought it was interesting how many sources are providing the news of the series pick up.)

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=47831

12:00 AM, 31-JANUARY-08

Sanctuary Comes To SCI FI

SCI FI Channel has green-lighted a television series based on the Web series Sanctuary, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The show will be the first to use live-action actors against virtual sets in the style of the features 300 and Sin City. SCI FI has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new scripted drama series, which originated online as the first high-definition SF Web series.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From SyFy Portal:

'Sanctuary' Pulls Tapping Away From 'Atlantis'

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: SyFy Portal
Jan-31-2008

While fans of the Web series "Sanctuary" have good news from SciFi Channel in its decision to pick it up as a television series, "Stargate: Atlantis" fans have something to mourn: Amanda Tapping's stint as a regular on the show will end when the fourth season ends in early spring.
Tapping, who starred in the online version of "Sanctuary," plans to follow the show onto the cable channel thus limiting her availability for "Atlantis," a role she took on following the end of the 10-year run of "Stargate SG-1."

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Zap2It:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-sanctuaryfull13episodeorder,0,6254031.story

Sci Fi Provides 'Sanctuary' for Hi-Def Web Series

Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne star

January 31, 2008

Amanda Tapping on 'Stargate SG-1'A sci-fi web series featuring "Stargate: Atlantis" star Amanda Tapping will make the leap from the computer screen to the TV screen.

The Sci Fi Channel has ordered a full 13-episode season of "Sanctuary," a new original, hourlong scripted drama -- the first TV series using live-action actors against mostly virtual sets a la "300" or "Sin City."

**snippage**

<><><><>

From iO9:

http://io9.com/307659/direct+to+web-show-is-all-greenscreen

sanctuary

Direct-to-Web Show Is All Greenscreen

Can a hi-def sci-fi show succeed by going direct to the Web? Stage 3 Media is gambling that it can. In an interview at VIdFest in Vancouver, Stage 3 CEO Damien Kindler talks up the audacious gamble that is Sanctuary. Sanctuary is the highest budget direct-to-Web show ever, and the first show to be made entirely using greenscreen, with no sets.

The first four "Webisodes" are free on Youtube, but you have to pay for the high-quality versions of all eight. The premise is interesting: it's 2007 and New York City is overrun with monsters who feed off the poor. But a heroic woman scientist (played by Stargate's Amanda Tapping) wants to help the monsters control their powers. Unfortunately, the actual show is a tad cheesy (it starts with Jack the Ripper), and Kindler has the look of a tired pitchman reciting the same talking points for the millionth time.

Video: Sanctuary For All Interview [Web Strategy By Jeremiah]

http://www.web-strategist.com/blog/2007/10/05/video-sanctuary-for-all-a-hi-def-sci-fi-series-exclusively-for-the-web/

<><><><>

From NBCU:

http://www.nbcumv.com/release_detail.nbc/scifi-20080131000000-scifichannelfinds.html

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Silicon Alley Insider:

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/sanctuary-jumps-from-web-to-cable.html

Another Web-To-Cable Jump: "Sanctuary" To Run On Sci Fi

Michael Learmonth | January 31, 2008 12:50 PM

Yet another web series is making the jump to TV. The Hollywood Reporter says NBC U's Sci Fi cable network has ordered 13 episodes of "Sanctuary", which will be based on an Internet video series of the same name. But this isn't a case where Hollywood is taking a flyer on a group of amateurs making videos in their garage: "Sanctuary" is produced by the team that created "Stargate SG-1," Sci Fi's cult hit.

There are some meaningless "firsts" surrounding the deal -- Sanctuary is supposedly the first Web video series shot in high-def, and the TV show will be the first shot almost entirely on greenscreen, like the movies "300" and "Sin City." What's really important: The Web is becoming a proving ground for new TV shows. NBC will start airing "Quarterlife", first aired on News Corp.'s MySpace, on Feb. 26.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From iO9:

http://io9.com/350961/amanda-tapping-creates-a-safe-space-for-mutants-to-just-be-themselves

(Photo gallery at the link)

sanctuary

Amanda Tapping Creates A Safe Space For Mutants To Just Be Themselves

Amanda Tapping (Stargate SG-1) plays the protector of downtrodden monsters in Sanctuary, soon to appear on the Sci Fi Channel. Her character, Dr. Helen Magnus, is a "cryptozoologist" who creates the Sanctuary Institute to protect and study the mutants that skulk around her future dystopian city. Sanctuary is the first direct-to-web show to jump to a major cable channel. It's also the first TV show to use almost all greenscreen sets. Magnus and her daughter Ashley (pictured) also meet Jack The Ripper and Bigfoot, just in case you were worried the show might not be cheesy enough for Sci Fi. Click through for a gallery of stills, and more info.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Media Week:

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/digitaldownload/broadband/e3i7d49b23ff1cbe31a94416bd99c9a67d6

Web Series Sanctuary Gets Sci Fi Schedule Slot
January 31, 2008

Sci Fi Channel has green-lighted "Sanctuary," the first television series to use live-action actors against virtual sets in the style of the features "300" and "Sin City."

Sci Fi has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new scripted drama series, which originated online as the first high-definition sci-fi Web series.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Josh Hill’s blog:

http://www.joshshill.com/2008/02/01/stargates-sanctuary-gets-full-season/

Stargate’s Sanctuary Gets Full Season

Fans of the cult favorite science fiction series Stargate may be aware of another project that two of its alumni worked on; Sanctuary. The Doctor Who-esque show debuted on the internet, but now the Sci Fi Channel has picked it up for a full season.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From The Futon Critic:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080131scifi01

BREAKING NEWS

01.31.08 - 09:46 AM]

Released by Sci Fi

The SCI FI Channel has ordered a full 13-episode season of the new original, scripted drama series Sanctuary, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming. Sanctuary is the first television series using live-action actors against mostly virtual sets and makes the leap to television from the Internet where it began as the World's first high-definition sci-fi Web series.

**snippage**

<><><><>

JohnRico
January 31st, 2008, 04:06 PM
I have liked seeing Carter on Atlantis. It is always nice seeing a familiar face from another show on a different show. I hope they pick a good choice for the one familiar face for when Stargate Universe comes around.

morjana
January 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
SGA / Sanctuary - Sanctuary For All Blog Update Jan 31 '08:

From the Sanctuary For All blog update for January 31, 2008:

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/weblog/?p=55

(Please follow the link for the complete blog update.)

Green Means Go

Posted by James under: Blogroll .

Hello Sanctuarians,

So, let’s make it official, we have the green light that we have been waiting for.

Sci Fi Channel in the U.S. has ordered a full 13-episode season of Sanctuary and we begin production in March. International television distribution deals are still being negotiated, you can expect to hear more about these in the weeks to come but rest assured, nobody’s being left out.

**snippage**

A big reason why this television deal was secured, was on the strength of our popularity online. Sanctuary, the TV show, would not have happened without the immense popularity of Sanctuary the web series and we have you, the fans, to thank for that.

**snippage**

The Sanctuary internet presence isn’t going anywhere. Webisodes will still be available on the website; in fact, I can tell you that our internet presence will increase. It’s a vital key in our plans and we’ve got a lot in store for you over the next twelve months. Mainstream impact will allow us to integrate our online and tv product even more than we could ever have hoped. These formats are not going to be mutually exclusive, think of them as layers of the entire whole that we will be presenting to you.

**snippage**

More news very soon, we appreciate your patience over the last few months. The future is bright, so get ready.

majorsal
January 31st, 2008, 04:34 PM

i hope sam's still leader. she's worked very hard to get there.

IF she's no longer leader, i hope they write the reason with respect to the sam carter character. also, without any doubts, DO NOT KILL OFF THE CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S :eek: :jack_new_anime05: and :samanime24:. oh, and :danielanime08:

sally :)

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 04:36 PM

IF she's no longer leader, i hope they write the reason with respect to the sam carter character. also, without any doubts, DO NOT KILL OFF THE CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S :eek: :jack_new_anime05: and :samanime24:. oh, and :danielanime08:

I kind of doubt she's still going to be leader, but I also HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they would ever kill her off. I think you can relax on that point. :)

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 04:37 PM

I don't even think for a second they'd kill off Sam.

Vala_M
January 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM

I don't know, to me it never felt right for her to command the team. She always kept second guessing herself.

Vala,

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 04:38 PM
I kind of doubt she's still going to be leader, but I also HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt they would ever kill her off. I think you can relax on that point. :)

TBTB wouldn't even consider killing off Carter imo, she's just too important. however I have to disagree with you on her position in s5, I do believe Carter will still be head of Atlantis in s5

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
TBTB wouldn't even consider killing off Carter imo, she's just too important. however I have to disagree with you on her position in s5, I do believe Carter will still be head of Atlantis in s5

Guess we'll see who's right! :D

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Guess we'll see who's right! :D

:P :indeed: :)

Alan
January 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM

Regarding the bit in bold - I totally agree! But even if she doesn't stay on as Atlantis' leader she deserves to be in some position of command if she heads back to Earth. And I don't mean some joint SG-1 command with Mitchell (or at least that's what TPTB seemed to think it was because it sure seemed pretty one-sided to me. *Mitchell's* side). Assuming he survived the events of Stargate: Continuum of course TPTB could give him a job elsewhere like Antarctica. He can give the polar bears some company...or at least a half-decent meal. With Mitchell...out of the way so to speak...that lets Sam have SG-1 command all to herself which really she should have had in S9 and S10 and it looks like Stargate: The Ark of Truth too.

*If* Sam does finally leave Atlantis then TPTB *need* to say in Sam's leaving episode what her situation will be *if* there isn't a third Stargate SG-1 movie and then we won't be left wondering what's become of her. After 10-years she deserves better than to disappear into the ether.

prion
January 31st, 2008, 04:53 PM

I don't even think for a second they'd kill off Sam.

DO NOT KILL OFF THE CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S :eek: :jack_new_anime05: and :samanime24:. oh, and :danielanime08:

They wouldn't kill Sam. They need her for future movies.

prion
January 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the actual article Prion.

You're welcome. Since this is probably the intitial press release, it's best to work with this rather than the ton of reworked versions out on the net. I skimmed several but all they were were rewrites.

RealmOfX
January 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM

May I ask why you doubt she'll still be the leader? I'm asking because I'm curious about the viewpoint. After all the kafuffle of the past 18 months I can't see them putting in a new commander (though I do think that TPTB are capable of some damn illogical things), it seems to me JM sees the commander as a part time role (my paraphrasing) and so it is reasonable to assume we'll get a commander more along the lines of General Hammond and they'll keep Sam. Is your reasoning that AT will only be in several episodes and therefore can't be the commander anymore?

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
interesting, thanks for the comparison :)

so basically what happened in the first half of s4. like I said TBTB will most likely write around her schedule, much like this season. crazy idea but maybe Carter gets kidnapped or anything else happens to the character in an ep which is then followed by ie two Carter-less eps where the team looks for her I know this sounds exactly what's gonna happen to Teyla in 'The Kindred' but it's just an idea ;)
Agreed.This is most likely what will happen and I like your idea.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM
You're welcome. Since this is probably the intitial press release, it's best to work with this that's what I was I skimmed several but all they were were rewrites.

that's what I was asking about earlier. thanks for posting the initial press release :)

majorsal
January 31st, 2008, 05:00 PM

you guys are cracking me up! :p

you make it sound like sam's going to be kicked out of commanding the base (which we're not sure if she's still going to be in that position or not) *because* she sucked so much. amanda's got another show to do now, and she's going to put the vast majority of her time to that. *that's* why things are changing, not because sam's a crappy leader! :p :p

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 05:02 PM
you guys are cracking me up! :p

you make it sound like sam's going to be kicked out of commanding the base (which we're not sure if she's still going to be in that position or not) *because* she sucked so much. amanda's got another show to do now, and she's going to put the vast majority of her time to that. *that's* why things are changing, not because sam's a crappy leader! :p :p

Finally a reasonable person! Personally she was a great leader and far better than Weir but yeah it's because she has other obligations.

morjana
January 31st, 2008, 05:04 PM
So um who is watching the Super Bowl this weekend? :S

LOL!

Certainly not me!

I don't watch sports programming.

:)

Morjana

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:06 PM
May I ask why you doubt she'll still be the leader? I'm asking because I'm curious about the viewpoint. After all the kafuffle of the past 18 months I can't see them putting in a new commander (though I do think that TPTB are capable of some damn illogical things), it seems to me JM sees the commander as a part time role (my paraphrasing) and so it is reasonable to assume we'll get a commander more along the lines of General Hammond and they'll keep Sam. Is your reasoning that AT will only be in several episodes and therefore can't be the commander anymore?

Just a hunch. And in my mind, the "guest appearances" term says a lot. Frankly, as I said in another thread, I'm getting a lot of deja vu here. There were a lot of people who insisted quite vehemently (I don't remember who, so not pointing fingers) that Elizabeth was still going to be the leader, even though her role had been reduced to recurring (obviously this was before the announcement that Sam was taking over). That, as we all know, didn't happen. I just don't think it will here either. My guess is that she will only show up in around 5-6 eps. And since storylines in Atlantis tend to revolve around the city more than they do around the SGC base as a general rule, I think it would be harder for them to get away with having her as commander but only showing her that little.

I could be totally wrong! Guess we'll see.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM
Just a hunch. Frankly, as I said in another thread, I'm getting a lot of deja vu here. There were a lot of people who insisted quite vehemently (I don't remember who, so not pointing fingers) that Elizabeth was still going to be the leader, even though her role had been reduced to recurring (obviously this was before the announcement that Sam was taking over). That, as we all know, didn't happen. I just don't think it will here either. My guess is that she will only show up in around 5-6 eps. And since storylines in Atlantis tend to revolve around the city more than they do around the SGC base as a general rule, I think it would be harder for them to get away with having her as commander but only showing her that little.

I don't think the two situations compare though. We knew that Carter was taking her role as commander. In this instance it wouldn't make sense for her not to be.

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:11 PM
I don't think the two situations compare though. We knew that Carter was taking her role as commander. In this instance it wouldn't make sense for her not to be.

No we didn't know that. Not right away. It was about two or three months between the announcements that Elizabeth was becoming recurring and the announcement that Sam was becoming base commander. For a long time, many people believed Elizabeth would still be leader, but recurring, and that Sam would be a ship commander.

I'm not saying that I'm absolutely positive that Sam is not going to be commander - obviously I can't know that. It's just my guess. *shrugs*

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM
No we didn't know that. Not right away. It was about two or three months between the announcements that Elizabeth was becoming recurring and the announcement that Sam was becoming base commander. For a long time, many people believed Elizabeth would still be leader, but recurring, and that Sam would be a ship commander.

True but we knew she was coming over and that always was a possibility and not just because I hoped it would be. However in that case it made sense and I just don't see how Sam not being commander can make sense.

RealmOfX
January 31st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Just a hunch. And in my mind, the "guest appearances" term says a lot. Frankly, as I said in another thread, I'm getting a lot of deja vu here. There were a lot of people who insisted quite vehemently (I don't remember who, so not pointing fingers) that Elizabeth was still going to be the leader, even though her role had been reduced to recurring (obviously this was before the announcement that Sam was taking over). That, as we all know, didn't happen. I just don't think it will here either. My guess is that she will only show up in around 5-6 eps. And since storylines in Atlantis tend to revolve around the city more than they do around the SGC base as a general rule, I think it would be harder for them to get away with having her as commander but only showing her that little.

Thanks for that, yeah I can sort of see what you are getting at but I can also see that the circumstances are not exactly the same. I guess we'll just have to wait for that Monday press release from Skiffy.

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:15 PM
I just don't see how Sam not being commander can make sense.

*shrugs* Guess we'll see what TPTB do with it.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 05:16 PM

true. also I think people were expecting Carter to be a recurring character and command her own ship. in this case it would've made sense to only reduce Weir to recurring. however since Carter took over and Weir went MIA I really wouldn't compare those situations

IDK it just wouldn't make sense to appoint a new base commander, I think TBTB know that. JM and PM are actually doing a pretty good job imo. they're bringing Beckett back, wrote a really interesting arc for Weir and introduced Carter. the only way she'll somehow lose her command is if AT requested that this be her last season. that's really the only possibility I see why Carter would have to step down in s5

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 05:17 PM
*shrugs* Guess we'll see what TPTB do with it.

I know you want Weir back just as much as I don't so we'll just have to wait and see that's all we can do.

Mitchell82
January 31st, 2008, 05:18 PM
true. also I think people were expecting Carter to be a recurring character and command her own ship. in this case it would've made sense to only reduce Weir to recurring. however since Carter took over and Weir went MIA I really wouldn't compare those situations

IDK it just wouldn't make sense to appoint a new base commander, I think TBTB know that. JM and PM are actually doing a pretty good job imo. they're bringing Beckett back, wrote a really interesting arc for Weir and introduced Carter. the only way she'll somehow lose her command is if AT requested that this be her last season. that's really the only possibility I see why Carter would have to step down in s5
Agreed. We also know that John wouldn't want that job so the only thing that could maybey work is if Caldwell or Ellis get the position.

Chrysalis
January 31st, 2008, 05:20 PM

I'm not saying that I'm absolutely positive that Sam is not going to be commander - obviously I can't know that. It's just my guess. *shrugs*

Exactly.

We were told Sam would be in a 'support role'. I don't know about you, but that didn't sound like she'd been commander.

And people really need to stop with the "it doesn't make sense to get rid of her as leader like it did with Weir".

If you must say that, add an "IN MY OPINION", because to plenty of people it made no sense to dump Weir as leader, especially in favour of Carter, who was seen as so lacking in leadership skills they brought in Browder to play Cam and gave him top billing.

So IMO, it makes just as much sense to dump her as it did to dump Weir.

Jumper and Mitchell in particular, we already know you love Carter and hate Weir. This constant "it makes no sense, but it made sense to dump Weir" business is inflammatory. You know it.

Why can't you just be happy that Amanda is getting a new job on a show that she's heavily involved in, and that she cut back her workload on the show of her own accord, unlike Torri, Paul, Teryl, Corin, etc, etc, she wasn't unceremoniously and disrespectfully sacked (and yes, we've heard the stories from the actors themselves. The way their sackings were handled was appalling)

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:23 PM
I know you want Weir back just as much as I don't so we'll just have to wait and see that's all we can do.

This has nothing to do with Weir. Personally, if Carter's leaving, I hope they bring in an entirely new character as commander - it's what I wished they had done when they got rid of Weir.

Also, while everyone knows I'm not Carter's biggest fan, I was hoping the turnover would settle down a little bit. I'd be perfectly happy with her as recurring and the commander of the base - to me that would be the best of both worlds. More focus on the team. Bring back Carson and throw in a substantial arc for Elizabeth and we'd have it all. And I wouldn't have to deal with the unsettling prospect of them perhaps bringing in another Stargate character as leader (Landry and Caldwell are my two least favorite ideas at the moment).

I just don't honestly think it's going to happen. But I've been wrong before. :)

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM
*Reads last 6 pages*

Monday is going to SUCK.

RealmOfX
January 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM
Can we please stop with the childish theatrics?

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Exactly.

We were told Sam would be in a 'support role'. I don't know about you, but that didn't sound like she'd been commander.

And people really need to stop with the "it doesn't make sense to get rid of her as leader like it did with Weir".

If you must say that, add an "IN MY OPINION", because to plenty of people it made no sense to dump Weir as leader, especially in favour of Carter, who was seen as so lacking in leadership skills they brought in Browder to play Cam and gave him top billing.

Jumper and Mitchell in particular, we already know you love Carter and hate Weir. This constant "it makes no sense, but it made sense to dump Weir" business is inflammatory. You know it.

Why can't you just be happy that Amanda is getting a new job on a show that she's heavily involved in, and that she cut back her workload on the show of her own accord, unlike Torri, Paul, Teryl, Corin, etc, etc, she wasn't unceremoniously and disrespectfully sacked (and yes, we've heard the stories from the actors themselves. The way their sackings were handled was appalling)

oh will you stop it. I already told you I don't hate Weir (you probably won't believe this but I'm actually looking forward to her return in s5) and I certainly never said any of this (see bolded parts)
"it doesn't make sense to get rid of her as leader like it did with Weir. or
it makes no sense, but it made sense to dump Weir also check my posts and you'll see alot of 'imo' (IN MY OPINION) ;)

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:29 PM
*Reads last 6 pages*

Monday is going to SUCK.

suse
January 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM

I agree with the amount of time and the leadership bit. And I'm fine with that.

As long as they don't transfer her for a week and put someone else in charge, then transfer her back *under* the new commander. :S ;) Like that would ever happen.

suse

Alan
January 31st, 2008, 05:31 PM
*Reads last 6 pages*

Monday is going to SUCK.

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
*Reads last 6 pages*

Monday is going to SUCK.

What are you talking about? There will be perfect harmony in GW. Everyone will get along, sing & roast virtual marshmallows.

:D ;)

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:35 PM
What are you talking about? There will be perfect harmony in GW. Everyone will get along, sing & roast virtual marshmallows.

ROFL! *coughs* *chokes* Stop, I think I hurt myself. :D

Where's PegasusSGA when we need her to break out the campfire songs? ;)

Shipperahoy
January 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Please stop with the bickering. There's no need to turn this in to a Carter vs. Weir thread. While the topic of Weir will come inevitably come up in the conversation it's not necessary to make statements meant to bait people, whether it's Carter fans or Weir fans. If the thread can't be civil it will go away.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM

ROFL! *coughs* *chokes* Stop, I think I hurt myself. :D

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM

Hon, it's no more inflammatory than the 'thank god she's leaving and please let her only be in a bare handful of episodes' opinion some are expressing.

EVERYONE needs to chill out a bit, temper their posts a bit, AND try to NOT take offense at every little comment.

We got folks being witches and trying to stir people up, we got people taking offense at the least little thing and we have WWWWAAAAYYYYY too much speculation and flying off the handle going on with a distinct lack of facts.

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM

In a padded cell, perhaps. ;)

Shipperahoy
January 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM

If I hear even a single verse of cumbaya I'm sooo out of here.

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Don't worry, you won't. :D

Agent_Dark
January 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
it doesnt make sense for them to get rid of carter as leader. [mod snip] Carter on atlantis is a good supporting role, and there's no need to change that around if they don't absolutely have to.

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Killdeer
ROFL! *coughs* *chokes* Stop, I think I hurt myself.

Where's PegasusSGA when we need her to break out the campfire songs? ;)

Hands Killdeer a glass of water. :D

I know he doesn't belong in Stargate, but can I please bring along Mulder? Because he looks so good in one. "P

If I hear even a single verse of cumbaya I'm sooo out of here.

Can we sing "we are the world?" :D

Don't worry, you won't. :D

Oh come on. Singing is good bonding exercise.

prion
January 31st, 2008, 05:47 PM
*Reads last 6 pages*

Monday is going to SUCK.

Why? besides the fact it's the beginning of another long work week...

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM
If I hear even a single verse of cumbaya I'm sooo out of here.*sings*
Kumbaya, my Lord, kumbaya
O Lord, kumbaya
*notices that Gateworld is empty*

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
or valium

valium would be good :)

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 05:53 PM
*sings*
O Lord, kumbaya
oooh, you're in trouble now ;)

Alan
January 31st, 2008, 05:55 PM
*sings*
O Lord, kumbaya

Ooooooh man...You are SO playing with fire there. ;)

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 05:57 PM
*sings*
O Lord, kumbaya

:eek: what have you done? quick post the 'hallowed is the jelgate' pic ;) :P

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hands Killdeer a glass of water. :D

Thanks! :D

So...Jelgate still running from the mods? :lol:

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 05:59 PM
Ooooooh man...You are SO playing with fire there.?* ;)I like to live dangerously.

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks! :D

So...Jelgate still running from the mods? :lol:

he better be ;)

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
Why? besides the fact it's the beginning of another long work week...

Well, we'll get a lot more info, definite info, won't we?

And where there is definite info, there is room for wild interpretations based on that info that will sure to inflame and destroy. ;)

It'll be like a coal-dust explosion. Definitity of Info ~ Surface area of reactant ~ reactivity. :D

I know he doesn't belong in Stargate, but can I please bring along Mulder? Because he looks so good in one. "P

Sure, why not. ;)

Oh come on. Singing is good bonding exercise.

I'm afraid we won't be able to hear the singing over the yelling, whining, screaming, flaming, trolling, blathering, celebrating, cursing, and modding that will be going on. ;)

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hmmm. PG15 sounds depressed. I think everyone should give him a big hug!

:D *runs*

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM

GROUP HUG. Spread Zen.

*runs away before everyone throws things at me*

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 06:09 PM
GROUP HUG. Spread Zen. *runs away before everyone throws things at me*Should I sing again?

Killdeer
January 31st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Should I sing again?

Maybe a different song. ;)

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Should I sing again?

Go for it. I can sing chorus. :D

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM
*Runs away as well* :p

Sorry, but I've just been around these parts long enough to know what's about to happen. ;)

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
*Runs away as well* :p

Sorry, but I've just been around these parts long enough to know what's about to happen. ;)

I have been lurking for at least two years, right about S8. I have a slight idea what you are talking about.

I do think however, it's OK to discuss. As long it's done in a respectful manner. It's just while in a discussion, everyone can & will lose their cool - unless you happen to be one of the very lucky few who can maintain zen.

< has very little zen.

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 06:18 PM
99 grumpy fans on the wall
99 grumpy fans
if one of those fans should happen to fall
98 grumpy fans on the wall

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
99 grumpy fans on the wall99 grumpy fansif one of those fans should happen to fall98 grumpy fans on the wallCan we knock them all down?

Fenrir Foxz
January 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
99 grumpy fans

LMAO! Good one :lol:

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 06:22 PM
99 grumpy fans

:lol: awesome! :D

Uber
January 31st, 2008, 06:27 PM
Exactly.

We were told Sam would be in a 'support role'. I don't know about you, but that didn't sound like she'd been commander.Actually she has been in a support role...AS the commander. She's been supporting the team which is the focus of the show.

And people really need to stop with the "it doesn't make sense to get rid of her as leader like it did with Weir".I don't see why.

If you must say that, add an "IN MY OPINION", because to plenty of people it made no sense to dump Weir as leader, especially in favour of Carter,Actually I think it made tons of sense having someone with both a military and scientist background put in charge of the expedition...someone with a decade of experience dealing with enemy threats and such. After Season 1...after contact was made with earth and earth was aware of the threat, it didn't make sense to me that Liz...a civilian diplomat...was kept in charge. It would have made even more sense to move her to the head of a diplomatic corps and put Carter in charge or someone with her same level of experience and expertise in charge of the whole shebang. Oh wait, there isn't anyone else with her level of experience and expertise. ;)

...who was seen as so lacking in leadership skills they brought in Browder to play Cam and gave him top billing.Meh...I thought that was a crappy decision and had zero to do with Carter's leadership abilities. As I recall, she led the team to victory over the Goa'uld System Lords AND the replicators. Not a bad showing. Plus, I doubt she'd be put in command of the expedition had she had a bad rep in this arena.

So IMO, it makes just as much sense to dump her as it did to dump Weir. Well there are several assumptions being made in this post and in a lot of what we're seeing on this thread. We don't know what they're ultimately going to do with Carter but FCOL...please y'all stop comparing one situation with the other. They're completely unrelated...regardless of how a handful of folks want to make them comparable. They ain't.

Jumper and Mitchell in particular, we already know you love Carter and hate Weir. This constant "it makes no sense, but it made sense to dump Weir" business is inflammatory. You know it.But going on and on from the other perspective is not inflammatory?

Why can't you just be happy that Amanda is getting a new job on a show that she's heavily involved in, and that she cut back her workload on the show of her own accord, ....Who said we're not happy for Amanda? Especially as a part of Sanctuary Fans, I'm ecstatic for her and for the team at S3M. BTW...if she's cutting back of her own accord, doesn't that negate the "being dumped" thing above?

...unlike Torri, Paul, Teryl, Corin, etc, etc, she wasn't unceremoniously and disrespectfully sacked (and yes, we've heard the stories from the actors themselves. The way their sackings were handled was appalling)Ah but see bringing these issues up really is off topic, doesn't do anything but rile up hurt feelings and is...OFF TOPIC. What decisions were made and why about other castmembers of either show have zero to do with Amanda or why she's scaling back her role on SGA.

I won't say much on this topic either yet as we simply don't know anything...and creating what if scenarios and getting into a tizzy about what fellow fans postulate and assume seems really silly to me.

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Joe M's blog

Promogirl writes: “Can you give us an inkling as to the number of episodes we’ll see Amanda in?”

Answer: Carter’s presence on Atlantis in season 5 will be dependent on two things: 1) Amanda’s availability, and 2) The stories we come up.

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 06:32 PM
so....for all we know (and folks we know nothing more than 'several episodes' and the quote from joe above) season 5 could be just like season four.

well, i kinda hope that the stories are different and that teyla isn't still preggers but.....;)

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 06:33 PM
Joe M's blog

ah beat me to it ;) so there you go, nothing's set in stone

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 06:36 PM

I think everyone should just be a little patient and sit back and enjoy "Outcast" tommorrow.

It is very likely everyone from this season will return in some role next season.

We'll worry about it when Monday comes along!

Shipperahoy
January 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
99 grumpy fans

More like if one of those fans should happen to fall then 2 more will take their place and then we'll have 101 grumpy fans on the wall.

jelgate
January 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
More like if one of those fans should happen to fall then 2 more will take their place and then we'll have 101 grumpy fans on the wall.:eek: Shipperhoy is here.

*runs away in fear that she saw my comment*

JohnRico
January 31st, 2008, 06:40 PM
I hope Gateworld does not crash again when we do get the cast list. I mean Carter herself with the Season 5 news crashed down the forums :(

Skydiver
January 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
More like if one of those fans should happen to fall then 2 more will take their place and then we'll have 101 grumpy fans on the wall.
easier for me to hit when i lob that noodle at the bunch of em

Jumper_One
January 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM
I hope Gateworld does not crash again when we do get the cast list. I mean Carter herself with the Season 5 news crashed down the forums :(

I bet it won't but if it does crash just check SCI FI wire ;)

prion
January 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM

well, if it crashes, no big deal. there are other forums. scifi's got a large forum that has been down maybe once or twice since its inception, and then, not for long (but their contest entering system is still screwy). i don't recall gw forums crashing when carter was announced though...

but, several people asked about amanda and JM didn't answer those questions, so we know know more now than we did this morning.

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 06:50 PM

No, that was something else entirely (that caused the crash yesterday).

prion
January 31st, 2008, 06:52 PM
Well, we'll get a lot more info, definite info, won't we?

And where there is definite info, there is room for wild interpretations based on that info that will sure to inflame and destroy. ;)

)

Been sniffing the flocking again ? ;) I don't think we'll get a "lot more info." Malllozzi likes to doll it out in tiny dribs.

But this board can burn up just merrily on its own without information :)

Shipperahoy
January 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM
:eek: Shipperhoy is here.

*runs away in fear that she saw my comment*

Don't worry...it's not as much fun to get you when you're actually expecting it.

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Been sniffing the flocking again ? ;) I don't think we'll get a "lot more info." Malllozzi likes to doll it out in tiny dribs.

We need a needlepoint of that. :D

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM

Ah, but it won't be from Joe, would it? It'll be a press release, and they tend to get to the facts fairly quickly without fluff.

prion
January 31st, 2008, 07:08 PM
Joe M's blog

Quote:
Promogirl writes: “Can you give us an inkling as to the number of episodes we’ll see Amanda in?”

Answer: Carter’s presence on Atlantis in season 5 will be dependent on two things: 1) Amanda’s availability, and 2) The stories we come up.

In other words, doesn't know, isn't telling.

Briangate78
January 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
In other words, doesn't know, isn't telling.

Yup, it's why I am not holding my breath and just waiting for Monday. ;)

Ebeneezer_Goode
January 31st, 2008, 07:11 PM
Promogirl writes: "Can you give us an inkling as to the number of
episodes we'll see Amanda in?"

Answer: Carter's presence on Atlantis in season 5 will be dependent
on two things: 1) Amanda's availability, and 2) The stories we come
up.

Doesn't sound like there's going to be a change in leadership, seems her appearances will hinge on whether she's available and/or needed for a given story.

prion

Nope, Monday is just another day. I'm honestly more concerned with the weather report (snow? ice?) than what JM will say as he likes to build it up and then... well.... that's it? ;)

jelgate
Don't worry...it's not as much fun to get you when you're actually expecting it.*prepares mod traps and sings*
O Lord, kumbaya

justhere1971
January 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Nope, Monday is just another day. I'm honestly more concerned with the weather report (snow? ice?) than what JM will say as he likes to build it up and then... well.... that's it? ;)

No snow or ice here. :D Only sunny skies, and perfect beach weather.

PG15
January 31st, 2008, 07:34 PM

Didn't I just say that it's going to be a press release, and not a Joe's blog post? ;)

morjana
January 31st, 2008, 07:53 PM

This should cheer PG15 up -- this will be the SECOND time that Amanda has had TWO series on the SciFi Channel -- previously it was SG1 and Proof Positive (more of hosting performance), and this time it's SGA and Sanctuary.

Hmmmm...we seem to have an "S" theme going on here...

:)

Morjana

Rocky89
January 31st, 2008, 08:07 PM

sally

Regarding the bit in bold - I totally agree! But even if she doesn't stay on as Atlantis' leader she deserves to be in some position of command if she heads back to Earth. And I don't mean some joint SG-1 command with Mitchell (or at least that's what TPTB seemed to think it was because it sure seemed pretty one-sided to me. *Mitchell's* side). Assuming he survived the events of Stargate: Continuum of course TPTB could give him a job elsewhere like Antarctica. He can give the polar bears some company...or at least a half-decent meal. With Mitchell...out of the way so to speak...that lets Sam have SG-1 command all to herself which really she should have had in S9 and S10 and it looks like Stargate: The Ark of Truth too.

*If* Sam does finally leave Atlantis then TPTB *need* to say in Sam's leaving episode what her situation will be *if* there isn't a third Stargate SG-1 movie and then we won't be left wondering what's become of her. After 10-years she deserves better than to disappear into the ether.

You 3 are so right again :). First off, they could never kill Sam, imagine the major fan uproar :jack_new_anime05: :samanime24:.

First they'll be a lot of :( :danielanime08: :sheppardanime32:

and then :tealcanime51: :samanime15: :jack_new_anime25: :tealcanime23: :bratacanime13: :tealcanime44: :ronananime16:

and that will lead to :psycho:

You see my point? But yeah Alan, she's been around over 11 years now, Amanda/Sam is a legend in the Sci-fi world. I would like to see at least 1 or 2 Sam-centric episodes in the near future. And if she does leave, they'd better give her a proper going away episode, something damn right, kinda like a "Good-bye Sam Carter from our lives" episode, because after all these years, she deserves just that and. And it'd better wrap up any lose storylines with her, because if she's going, she deserves to go out right, either back to SG1 or something bigger, because we don't want to wait around for a third movie to see what she's up to. :jack_new_anime07:

I don't know, to me it never felt right for her to command the team. She always kept second guessing herself.

Vala,

What are you talking about? She was on top of her game in Seer. It's been one of my favorite Sam eps this year, if not ever.

Exactly.

You forgot someone ME

Amaunet
January 31st, 2008, 09:06 PM
I do hope that she continue's her role as base commander in S5, i was actually hoping at one stage that she had a larger role in S5 than she did in S4..which is a bit of a shame
But anyway we'll just have to wait and see what happens

Ahhh I think i'm going being holding my breath until Monday. But really thats all we can do...is wait. We really know nothing at the moment

LaCroix
January 31st, 2008, 11:16 PM
My own personal opinion, I'm waiting for Monday for any discussion about the topic.

Linzi
January 31st, 2008, 11:42 PM
so....for all we know (and folks we know nothing more than 'several episodes' and the quote from joe above) season 5 could be just like season four.

Exactly, Sky.

Though delighted for Amanda and all of those folks involved in Sanctuary, I was initially concerned at the news that Carter's role will obviously have to be reduced because of AT's filming committments over at Sanctuary.

However, after reading JM's comments, it seems nothing is written in stone as yet. After all, when Sanctuary has finished filming, AT may become more available to film on SGA. At this point I'm sure not even AT knows what the situation for her will be like in a few months.

So, I'm feeling a lot more happy now. No doors have been closed as yet.

I don't see Weir coming back as leader to mysteriously replace Carter, that wouldn't work for me as I like the military taking charge of Atlantis. I could see Caldwell or someone similar taking over for a while while Carter is busy elsewhere though. It's also possible that Carter's absence won't be explained. We'll just have to wait and see. Presumably we'll hear on Monday what the likely situation is going to be.

Incidentally the dictionary definition of 'several' is:

1. being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind

But, we don't know if that description is even accurate at this point, do we?

I'm waiting to see what news Monday brings. I'd personally like to see Carter stay as commander, but would be ok if another temporary leader comes in while or if she's away from Atlantis.

However, at the end of the day, these things happen. Actors get other jobs. I'm sure whatever happens the stories will continue to please me, and that the focus of the show will continue to be the team of four. That, for me, is what the show is all about, with the addition of some great supporting characters. :)

Uncle Tobias
January 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I don't see Weir coming back as leader to mysteriously replace Carter, that wouldn't work for me as I like the military taking charge of Atlantis.

I would be very surprised if Weir came back as leader, because story-wise I can't see how the IOA (or whoever that desicion lies with) would trust her after she's been with replicators for a year and possibly comprimised. Seeing as they seemed to complain about her enough when she was a regular civilian and all.

Linzi
January 31st, 2008, 11:51 PM
I would be very surprised if Weir came back as leader, because story-wise I can't see how the IOA (or whoever that desicion lies with) would trust her after she's been with replicators for a year and possibly comprimised. Seeing as they seemed to complain about her enough when she was a regular civilian and all.
Agreed. :)

Mitchell82
February 1st, 2008, 12:15 AM

JM always has a way to make me feel better.

flynn1959
February 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM

Vala,

Well that's because Carter couldn't command a small, highly trained dog to sit!

Linzi
February 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Hmmmmm, I'd have to disagree having seen her command on Atlantis.

Mitchell82
February 1st, 2008, 12:44 AM

Well we must have seen a different Carter then and now. Because that definatly is not what I have seen.