PDA

View Full Version : Ashes to Ashes- Life on Mars spinoff (spoilers)

ShadowMaat
January 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Since the premiere date is set for 7 Feb (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk6/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_ashestoashes) (thanks for the info, siggy) I figured it was time to start a thread for it.

I loved Life on Mars and I can't wait to see how the sequel pans out. DI Hunt and the gang are back! Yay! And now we're into the eighties! Double yay! It'll be a good early birthday present for me. ;)

Major Clanger
January 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
is this a one-off or are there 13 eps as usual?

The Signal
January 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
It's an 8 episode series, as with "Life on Mars", and I know Philip Glenister has said he'd do a second series if the BBC asked, but he won't do a third show (ie. set in the 1990's).

Major Clanger
January 29th, 2008, 11:18 AM
*blows kisses*
thanks

Missster.Freeman
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
...hoo! *continuing from old thread*

I fought the law and the law won. Looking forward to this! :D

P-90_177
February 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
So did anyone watch this on Thursday? I have to say it is no where near is good as Life on Mars but I thought it was pretty cool and I think it has loads of potential.

cheese
February 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yeah I watched it too, on the whole good, but definately something was a bit off with it. The repeat of some elements from Life on Mars was a bit blah (the distorted flashbacks, the talking tv, Alex "asking" to be transferred). Zippy and George's appearence I liked though.

The clown was interesting too, particularly the way he was hidden in the background a couple of times.

The breaking of Life on Mars Rule 1 really surprised me. In Life on Mars Sam was in every single shot. In Ashes to Ashes there were several scenes without Alex, proving once and for all that this is a solid world, that is not inside or created by Sam and Alex's craziness.

I also really wanted Alex to just shoot the guy that shot her, kill him, and avoid time travel. (though LoM kind of established that things don't change).

The vagueness about Sam kind of suggested to me that he's not dead at all, and left the door open for him to appear sometime if they want.

I'll keep watching, interested to see how it'll develop, hoping that it moves more into new territory as it goes on.

P-90_177
February 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah I watched it too, on the whole good, but definately something was a bit off with it. The repeat of some elements from Life on Mars was a bit blah (the distorted flashbacks, the talking tv, Alex "asking" to be transferred). Zippy and George's appearence I liked though.

The clown was interesting too, particularly the way he was hidden in the background a couple of times.

The breaking of Life on Mars Rule 1 really surprised me. In Life on Mars Sam was in every single shot. In Ashes to Ashes there were several scenes without Alex, proving once and for all that this is a solid world, that is not inside or created by Sam and Alex's craziness.

I also really wanted Alex to just shoot the guy that shot her, kill him, and avoid time travel. (though LoM kind of established that things don't change).

The vagueness about Sam kind of suggested to me that he's not dead at all, and left the door open for him to appear sometime if they want.

I'll keep watching, interested to see how it'll develop, hoping that it moves more into new territory as it goes on.

Indeed i felt the same as you. There was definatley something off about it. Perhaps it was the music which i think wasn't as good as life on mars, or the more up to date setting. It's kinda hard to tell. Certainly they didn't handle the bit where she wakes up in 81 as well as they did life on mars. but that was a tall order in the first place.

cheese
February 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I thought the music choice was okay, it's just 80's music doesn't really fit the tone.

The Life on Mars transition was perfect, the song, the OMG this is all a bit odd.

Vienna was an awesome moment though. I've had it stuck in my head since.

P-90_177
February 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I thought the music choice was okay, it's just 80's music doesn't really fit the tone.

The Life on Mars transition was perfect, the song, the OMG this is all a bit odd.

Vienna was an awesome moment though. I've had it stuck in my head since.

yeah.

I did like the newspaper clipping about sam that gene keeps in his office too. It's a nice nod about the relationship those 2 had.

memnarch
February 18th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I didn't enjoy the first episode nearly as much as LoM, but since I've come to know the characters Gene, Ray and Chris, I'll definitely keep watching, especially since I felt like the latter two didn't get as much development as they could have. I'm not a particularly big 80's music fan, but otherwise I enjoyed seeing other aspects of 80's life, i.e. early computers and video tapes.

Overall, I don't think it'll be as good as Life on Mars and I think I'll always think of it as a separate entity, but I still think Ashes will be a show worth watching and better than most of the tv that's out there right now.

Fire up the Quattro!

Anubis69
February 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Indeed i felt the same as you. There was definatley something off about it. Perhaps it was the music which i think wasn't as good as life on mars, or the more up to date setting. It's kinda hard to tell. Certainly they didn't handle the bit where she wakes up in 81 as well as they did life on mars. but that was a tall order in the first place.
It was too intrusive. I've only seen the first episode (taped the second though) and it was just used far too often. Every 15mins there was a jazzy tune randomly placed to make it feel "nostalgic". Didn't work at all.

Life On Mars had maybe one per episode that captured the essence of the episode/scene (whatever) perfectly. The one that jumps to mind was Ballroom Blitz playing as Gene reversed out of the alley. That was amazing! Ashes To Ashes... I remember recognising at least one song in the first ep, but i'll be damned if I can remember the artist let alone which scene it played over and that's only one week later. *shrugs*

P-90_177
February 19th, 2008, 06:28 PM
It was too intrusive. I've only seen the first episode (taped the second though) and it was just used far too often. Every 15mins there was a jazzy tune randomly placed to make it feel "nostalgic". Didn't work at all.

Life On Mars had maybe one per episode that captured the essence of the episode/scene (whatever) perfectly. The one that jumps to mind was Ballroom Blitz playing as Gene reversed out of the alley. That was amazing! Ashes To Ashes... I remember recognising at least one song in the first ep, but i'll be damned if I can remember the artist let alone which scene it played over and that's only one week later. *shrugs*

You may be right. I do recognise most of the stuff in ashes to ashes but can't name it. But it was the same for life on mars for me.

Anyway I finally saw the latest ep and it was actually a lot of fun. Alex seems to be much more up beat than Sam was, possibly because alex understands alot more about what is going on.

docballen
February 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I got to see LoM on BBC America-- are they going to show Ashes to Ashes??

P-90_177
February 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I got to see LoM on BBC America-- are they going to show Ashes to Ashes??

they most likely will at some point. What did you think to LoM?

bliv
February 20th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I like Life on Mars but I'm not feeling it with Ashes to Ashes. Reminds me of one of those situations where someone else comes along, copies the idea and it should work but for some reason it just doesn't come together so well. I know it's a sequel and an expansion of the original idea but maybe this is one of those times were a sequel wasn't required.

I'll watch on for a bit anyway.

Major Clanger
February 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM

can I be rude and ask you how old you are? for me LoM represented the music of my primary school age and it was fab. But AtA is the music from the year I turned 18 and it is really really striking a chord. There is a lot of it -but then in 1981, trust me, there was SUCH a lot of music around.

And *blushes to remember the clothes, hair and make-up* I was a Blitz-Kid. But George never took my coat, although I do remember thinking it odd seeing Steve Strange dancing to his own record! how uncool!

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
February 21st, 2008, 10:58 AM
Didnt think these shows are "bad", but something is lacking for me.. I think it needs to be weirder and more "out there", like the prisoner or something...

ShadowMaat
February 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
I liked the first ep well enough, but had trouble staying interested in the second one. I think I'll keep trying 'cos I love Gene and the gang, but I don't really like Alex. She's too arrogant and cocksure and I think the fact that we know for sure what's happening to her kinda takes some of the mystery out of things.

Granted, Sam used to bull his way through things, too, but while I felt for him and was always on her side, I feel nothing for Alex and tend to side more with Gene. Sam was emotional, Alex is too cold and analytical. Or at least, that's how she seems to me.

The music doesn't do much for me, but neither did the stuff from LoM. ;) I've actually recognized some of the songs this time around, though, since it's closer to my growing-up years, although I don't know as much of the British side of things and I was never very trendy in my tastes. :o

I guess I'd chalk it up as disappointing so far although I still hope things will improve. I will grant them this- that mime clown thing is damn creepy.

Catsitter
February 22nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
I've only just noticed this thread, although I've watched all of the series so far. I didn't like the way they had those scenes in the police station when Alex wasn't even in the building without anything to explain them, nor the scene from the boy's POV when she was there, but maybe it is to show us that it's real and not in her mind.

In some ways, I prefer this series (so far) to the second series of Life on Mars. It seemed to me that in the first series of L o M, in more or less every episode there was a moment when something would click in Gene's mind and he worked out something important to the case, then would start telling everybody what to do, not always explaining what it was that had "clicked" until later. Standard mystery tv stuff, I suppose, but it works. But in the second series of L o M it seemed that in most of the episodes, Sam was right and Gene was wrong and if there was any "click" it was Sam who clicked. I just didn't like it that way so much. Now in A t A, Gene is back on form as far as that goes. Plus I love the sexual tension between him and Alex, especially the bits when he picks her up and carries her, and in the third episode last night I particularly loved

the fact that he didn't kiss her when they were both drunk in the wine bar - such a refreshing contrast to Torchwood where everybody snogs at the slightest opportunity!

Looking forward to the episode written by Mick Ford; I think it is number 6. He is such a good writer, and particularly good at filling in plot holes, which may well be needed about then!

Madeleine
February 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'm enjoying this, after an initial bad reaction to the first ep.

I liked LoM because it really was another world, and it was a world I just about remembered, and things in the show would jog my memory.

Oddly, even though AtA is only eight years after LoM and it's 27 years before now, 1981 doesn't seem like another world to today, just a more primitive version of this one. Perhaps it's in part because it's set in London, which is always more forward than the rest of the country, but there's more to it than that. Attitudes in the early 70s were different, possibly because the wartime generation of soldiers and air-raid wardens were still around, not yet retired. Also, the 'swinging sixties' happenned in London, but spent a decade or so spreading outwards. In 1981 there was Thatcher, computers, laws against firing women for getting married, less of the casual ignorant racism; everything was already very different.

So at first I disliked AtA for not being 'historical' enough, but after I got over that I started to really enjoy how breezy Alex is: "Good morning imaginary constructs," she says. Brilliant. She's very different from Sam, and although there's less of a clash of modern vs old-style policing this time around, and although Sam was wonderful, Alex is certainly more fun than Sam.

P-90_177
February 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM

I liked LoM because it really was another world, and it was a world I just about remembered, and things in the show would jog my memory.

Oddly, even though AtA is only eight years after LoM and it's 27 years before now, 1981 doesn't seem like another world to today, just a more primitive version of this one. Perhaps it's in part because it's set in London, which is always more forward than the rest of the country, but there's more to it than that. Attitudes in the early 70s were different, possibly because the wartime generation of soldiers and air-raid wardens were still around, not yet retired. Also, the 'swinging sixties' happenned in London, but spent a decade or so spreading outwards. In 1981 there was Thatcher, computers, laws against firing women for getting married, less of the casual ignorant racism; everything was already very different.

So at first I disliked AtA for not being 'historical' enough, but after I got over that I started to really enjoy how breezy Alex is: "Good morning imaginary constructs," she says. Brilliant. She's very different from Sam, and although there's less of a clash of modern vs old-style policing this time around, and although Sam was wonderful, Alex is certainly more fun than Sam.

Glad you're enjoying it.
I feel the same way about alex.

Madeleine
March 1st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Does anyone else think that Godfather chap is well dodgy? He's slimy, and I'm sure there's more to it than him having had a bit of an affair with his goddaughter's mum.

Anubis69
March 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
can I be rude and ask you how old you are? for me LoM represented the music of my primary school age and it was fab. But AtA is the music from the year I turned 18 and it is really really striking a chord. There is a lot of it -but then in 1981, trust me, there was SUCH a lot of music around.

And *blushes to remember the clothes, hair and make-up* I was a Blitz-Kid. But George never took my coat, although I do remember thinking it odd seeing Steve Strange dancing to his own record! how uncool!
Pardon my extreme tardiness, but 20. Yeah, I don't doubt people older than myself "get" the show on more levels what with their knowledge of actual events and whatnot but purely from my point of view it just seemed like it was trying too hard to take the viewer back to that time. LoM managed it easily. I can't place what it was, but it just felt bang on what i'd imagined...

But I should probably watch the other 2 episodes i've got on tape before commenting further...

P-90_177
March 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
Just to change topic very slightly, I read in the paper today that the 80's perm is coming back into fashion partly thanks to Ashes to Ashes.....Cool.:cool:

SCarterUK
March 16th, 2008, 08:42 AM
I love Ashes to Ashes. I hate to say it because i did really like Life on Mars, but i actually prefer Ashes to Ashes. It's alot more fun but also scary at times (i'm not too keen on clowns!). Just read that the boxset is due for release on May 5th. While with LOM i used to only watch episodes once, i find myself watching ATA over and over. I love the fighting between Gene and Alex and the developing relationship between them. Im also of the opinion that there's more to Evan than meets the eye. Don't know why but he does seem a little suspicious. I can't wait for the last two episodes of this series to see what happens.:)

P-90_177
April 4th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Well now that the last ep has aired I gotta say that it was amazing. Quite possibly the best of the series. It's interesting that Alex remembered Gene being there as a child.......or did she? And then there was the comment gene made which made me think for a minute about him always being there when he was needed.

Also that speech he gave to the lord was AWESOME.

Promethius30
April 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
i am sad to say that although i love life on mars one of my favorite TV programs i could not get into ashes to ashes. I watch the first one and hated it but i give it another two episode and although both of them episode was better than the first i found myself not concentrating on the plot. The next week i forgot to watch the episode but i was not bothered so i think that's when you know your not into a TV series

P-90_177
April 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
i am sad to say that although i love life on mars one of my favorite TV programs i could not get into ashes to ashes. I watch the first one and hated it but i give it another two episode and although both of them episode was better than the first i found myself not concentrating on the plot. The next week i forgot to watch the episode but i was not bothered so i think that's when you know your not into a TV series

Well even if you didn't like the series itself.......you'll love this speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcnna0qzjc

Flyboy
April 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM

That difference between the two is something I've been trying to explain to everyone I've spoken to about it. You've just summed my thoughts up perfectly, GO YOU!

Promethius30
April 6th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Well even if you didn't like the series itself.......you'll love this speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcnna0qzjc

you cant do anthing but love hunt for me the one saving grace of ashes to ashes

P-90_177
April 7th, 2008, 08:46 AM
you cant do anthing but love hunt for me the one saving grace of ashes to ashes

I still love ashes to ashes. Almost as much as Life on Mars but Gene is what has made both of them. Philip Glenister = God.

JJSNgadget
April 8th, 2008, 06:18 AM

I have LoM on my computer, have seen it dont know how many times, and I've never noticed that. Seriously, he's in every shot, like every single one? Obviously I have not been paying attention. Must do better.

I haven't actually seen AtA, but I have read the script that was on the BBC site. I hated how they just mentioned that Sam died. Who was it that said it? Chris? It would have been awesum if Sam could be there for Alex, you know, like some sorta mentor or something. I don't know.

And what happened to Annie?

P-90_177
April 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I have LoM on my computer, have seen it dont know how many times, and I've never noticed that. Seriously, he's in every shot, like every single one? Obviously I have not been paying attention. Must do better.

I haven't actually seen AtA, but I have read the script that was on the BBC site. I hated how they just mentioned that Sam died. Who was it that said it? Chris? It would have been awesum if Sam could be there for Alex, you know, like some sorta mentor or something. I don't know.

And what happened to Annie?

There's been no mention of annie yet but there is a rumour that Her or sam will be back in season2. Though I suspect it may just be a flashback.

Madeleine
April 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Every scene, though not every shot.

One episode only had scenes without Sam: s2 ep where Sam was hallucinating (within his hallucination) and he had visions of the gang solving the case without him.

P-90_177
April 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Thought people may like this. It's a vid I just finished. A tribute to Gene Hunt. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UQIj5Wmqzk

Marianne_24
February 27th, 2009, 04:31 AM
OK, I went through the threads and couldn't find one for this show and if I just overlooked it PLEASE point me in the right direction :D

I had this show on my to-watch list for quite some time but just watched the whole first series over the last two days. And I bloody love it!

February 27th, 2009, 04:33 AM
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50878

Catsitter
April 20th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hope this thread doesn't get lost again - we'll be needing it for the next few weeks! It was great to see the show back again this evening and especially great to have Gene Hunt back. Yep, I just loved it.

Missster.Freeman
April 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Aye. It is good to see the Gene Genie back again. He's the one character that's brought me back to the show. Haven't been hugely impressed with Ashes to Ashes as such - it's still a good(ish) show, but nothing compared to the awesomeness that was Life on Mars.

I'll be watching the first ep on iPlayer tomorrow after work. Blessed is the iPlayer for helping me not miss out on episodes.

Madeleine
April 21st, 2009, 02:39 AM
This 'supermac' character, we're obviously supposed to think he's dodgy; I hope so, especially as it looks like he might be getting his claws into Hunt - should make things interesting.

Some funny one-liners: "that's disgusting, women don't want to see that!" :D

Alex looks far prettier with the new hairdo than she did last year.

Catsitter
April 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
My prediction (maybe not a spoiler as it's just a guess, but anyway):

we will be led to think Gene is doing some dodgy stuff for him but it will turn out he was only doing it to trap Supermac

Well, I hope so.

Crazedwraith
April 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Supermac seems eerily reminiscent of the Character played by Gibbs at about the time in Life On Mars (early series 2, I mean) still the episode was good if a little slow but seemed to set up a couple of themes that will run for most/some of the series. Vis a vis, SuperMac, plus this mysterious person who's also seems to be from the future and is some how sharing Alex's mind fantasty.

Marianne_24
April 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
My prediction (maybe not a spoiler as it's just a guess, but anyway):

we will be led to think Gene is doing some dodgy stuff for him but it will turn out he was only doing it to trap Supermac

Well, I hope so.

Definitely, just a trick, imo

Ian-S
April 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
they made no secret of it being mainly based on Life on Mars stories, expect a repeat of the similar Life on Mars story although they're being a bit more specific with future guy.

OMG it's been about 4 years since I typed "Future-guy" lol
(Enterprise anyone?)

Strangly even Ms Hawes in tight leggings failed to keep my interest last night, the episode was a bit predictable and boring tbh.

Marianne_24
April 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
they made no secret of it being mainly based on Life on Mars stories, expect a repeat of the similar Life on Mars story although they're being a bit more specific with future guy.

OMG it's been about 4 years since I typed "Future-guy" lol
(Enterprise anyone?)

:lol: I never got that one but my watching Enterprise was very ...sporadic.

Strangly even Ms Hawes in tight leggings failed to keep my interest last night, the episode was a bit predictable and boring tbh.

I was too happy to have it back to nitpick on anything at the moment...besides Chris scene at Luigi's broke my brain :lol:

Catsitter
April 23rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
Talking of nit-picking, Gene said Princess Margaret was sixth in line to the throne (in 1982) but I don't think that's right. Assuming Prince William wasn't yet born (he was born June 1982) it would go Charles - Andrew - Edward - Anne - Peter Phillips - Zara Phillips - Margaret, making her seventh, or if it was after William's birth she would be eighth.

Catsitter
April 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Oh dear, I hate to double-post - someone else post on here, please!

Surely it must be significant that so many scenes take place without Alex being in them. In Life on Mars Sam had to be in all the scenes because it was all happening in his mind - so what does it mean if we see stuff happen but Alex doesn't know about it?

Flyboy
April 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Oh dear, I hate to double-post - someone else post on here, please!

Surely it must be significant that so many scenes take place without Alex being in them. In Life on Mars Sam had to be in all the scenes because it was all happening in his mind - so what does it mean if we see stuff happen but Alex doesn't know about it?
It means that the rules of LoM no longer apply.

Ohhhhh what a twisted web they weave.

Anyone wanna bet the guy in the 'coma' at the start of the ep was Mr Tyler?

I really liked the episode. Suitably weird imo.

Catsitter
April 28th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Yes, I was thinking something similar:

After the mention of "the Tiler" I'm wondering if it is all taking place in Sam's mind?

Flyboy
April 28th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Yes, I was thinking something similar:

After the mention of "the Tiler" I'm wondering if it is all taking place in Sam's mind?
Don't forget the Manchester girl from Hyde.

Madeleine
April 28th, 2009, 01:26 AM
It jars that there are so many scenes without Alex. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing, I reckon I'll decide on that once I know what the end result is.

Last night's was good, Gene Hunt had a good deal of scope for being un-PC and offensive. I love all the period detail. Chris' shirts and the doctor's glasses and things like that take me right back :)

Flyboy
April 28th, 2009, 02:54 AM
It jars that there are so many scenes without Alex. I don't necessarily think that that's a bad thing, I reckon I'll decide on that once I know what the end result is.

Last night's was good, Gene Hunt had a good deal of scope for being un-PC and offensive. I love all the period detail. Chris' shirts and the doctor's glasses and things like that take me right back :)
On the subject of centric Hunt - anyone noticed that the last shot in the opening credits is "DCI Gene Hunt" on Hunt's office door... could this possibly have some significance?

Crazedwraith
April 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Caught up with episode 2. It was pretty good and the on going plots are heading along nicely. I liked Gene's reaction to the crazy gypsy woman's mention of 'Tyler' and Ray seems to be making a move from just a guy we don't like very much to an actual bad guy, whereas Gene and Chris are becoming more clear cut as good guys.

Slightly confused about the end though, is Alex literally supposed to have entirely forgotten about the 2008 world?

Edit: I don't think the guy in the coma can be Sam Tyler, the first episode of Ashes To Ashes, makes it quite clear he committed suicide and thus is dead.

Flyboy
April 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Caught up with episode 2. It was pretty good and the on going plots are heading along nicely. I liked Gene's reaction to the crazy gypsy woman's mention of 'Tyler' and Ray seems to be making a move from just a guy we don't like very much to an actual bad guy, whereas Gene and Chris are becoming more clear cut as good guys.

Slightly confused about the end though, is Alex literally supposed to have entirely forgotten about the 2008 world?

Edit: I don't think the guy in the coma can be Sam Tyler, the first episode of Ashes To Ashes, makes it quite clear he committed suicide and thus is dead.
Yeah... but... nothing is ever clear with LoM/A2A.

You're right about Ray... although it'll be very weird. I mean... he's always been one of the 'heroes'.

Crazedwraith
April 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well, he's a cop. I don't think Ray's ever really been a 'hero' as such he's always been the voice for the 70s/80s point of view that the main character despises: Racism /homophobia etc.

Catsitter
April 29th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Don't forget in L o M Ray got demoted, can't remember exactly what for, and there was quite a tension between him and Sam.

Does anybody know who did the voice for retired DCI Garnett who Gene spoke to on the phone? It says Michael McCain on imdb, but there is no other information about him so I'm wondering whether that's right? It sounded a bit like Kenneth Cranham to me.

Crazedwraith
April 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Don't forget in L o M Ray got demoted, can't remember exactly what for, and there was quite a tension between him and Sam.

He accidentally killed a suspect during an interrogation by overdosing him on heroine and then tried to cover it up.

Catsitter
May 11th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Whew, I think tonight's episode might have been the best yet.

Madwelshboy
June 8th, 2009, 01:00 AM
'Ashes To Ashes' to end after next series

Ashes To Ashes has been recommissioned for a third and final series, it has been announced.

The cop drama - a spinoff of Life On Mars starring Phil Glenister and Keely Hawes - concludes its second series on BBC One tonight.

"Fans have theorised since Life On Mars and throughout Ashes To Ashes about who Gene Hunt actually is and what his alternative world really means," said a spokesperson for the show. "The climax of series three will finally reveal all in a stunning finale."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a158793/ashes-to-ashes-to-end-after-next-series.html

Madeleine
June 8th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I'm a little disappointed, I wanted to see how it all wrapped up, and I wanted to see that tonight!

I'll get over it though :D

I've got a theory about what happens, anyway. Spoilers, except not really because I'm probably way off track...

I reckon Molly will join Alex in the '80s. That creepy fella said that Molly was on her way to see her - I think that has a more sinister meaning than it seemed.

Ian-S
June 8th, 2009, 03:45 AM
I wonder if the filming they did a couple months back with the cast was more than just adverts/promos? maybe they had to re-film the ending cos for as long as I can remember they said this was the last series and the story would be wrapped up, then now they say it's been renewed for another series hehe...

I also remember Phil Glenister saying on more than one occasion he wouldn't do a third series because he didn't want to be typecast (mind you he also said the same about a second series lol).

Catsitter
June 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Don't read if you haven't seen the final episode yet

It definitely needs another series to sort that lot out! In a coma within a coma?

I still don't get why there are so many scenes without Alex in - even if Martin Summers was sharing the 1982 world with her, there were lots of scenes without him in them either. So there must be something else we haven't found out yet, don't you think?

Small point about the plot - Gene should have realised that there was something fishy about Jeanette's story about acting on instructions from her brother about what to do if he was ever arrested, because she first turned up at his office before the brother was arrested.

Can't wait for the next series now!

Crazedwraith
June 9th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Holy ambiguous ending Batman!

I would love it if next series reversed the concept permanently, with Alex solving modern crimes, with Gene Hunt and the gang appearing in hallucinations constantly.

Edit: Ian-SI'm reasonably sure Glenister meant he wouldn't do a third TV series (as in a 2nd spin off), rather than three series of Ashes to Ashes

Ian-S
June 9th, 2009, 03:28 PM
@Crazedwraith - could be that :)

I am going to go back and watch it again cos I'm sure Glenister looked:

6 months older on the hospital monitors, like that was a rewritten ending.

Unfortunately the episode didn't really surprise me, it was obvious the 50ml was going to wake her up rather than kill her, and misereybob was going to shoot her instead of the blonde tart - talking of her, did anybody else think it a little wierd when she went to kiss Gene, Alex woke up touching her lips?

Perhaps it is Gene Hunt in the coma, and both Sam & Alex are his subconscious manifestations instead of the other way round....?

Catsitter
June 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Interesting idea.

Would that be present-day Gene remembering his younger days, or would he be in the coma in the 80's?

Ian-S
June 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
my theory would be:

Gene is in a Coma today and everything is his imagination, his subconscious has created this world in an effort to help him survive, both Sam and Alex are his imagination.

I am glad it's gone to a third series though, we'll get some new stories at the very least (I just found AtA to be too much like LoM to be coincidence).

I hope that John Simm and the girl that played Annie come back, even if to only prove my theory is valid, they never found Tyler's body remember ;)

Catsitter
June 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Do you think there would have to be a policeman higher up than Carnegie involved in the corruption / Project Rose? Carnegie was only a DCI so he was lower down in the chain than Supermac, which doesn't make sense to me unless there is someone else still to be uncovered.

pbellosom
April 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Did anyone catch the new episode? I utterly loved it! "My name is Alex Drake and your guess is as good as mine" was such a good opening line. I'm very sceptical that she could be woken from a coma by a slap though, and what happened to the present day Alex when that happened? It's clear that they want us to think that Gene killed Sam, but there's no way I'm ever going to believe that.

P-90_177
April 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ok I have to say a great big "LOL!" to the beginning of this last episode. One up side to ashes over LoM is stuff like that. Gene Hunt and the CID squad doing their rendition of the video to uptown girl. Better than Westlife any day of the week. :P
Other than that it was a pretty good episode. However one thing really really stood out to me. Right after Gene told Shaz she was gonna be made a Detective there was a close up on her in slow-mo and in the background was justa few lines of Life on Mars:
"It's a God awful small affair,
To the girl with the mousy hair."
Now certainly this description seems to fit Shaz......but the fact that they'd use life on mars at all must have a lot of significance.

Any ideas?

Wayston
April 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
It's a great series because the individual episodes are always decent and the overarching storyline is soooooo intriguing.

Clearly there's a lot more to Gene than him being an ordinary cop. He seems to know what's going on much like the evil mystery guys popping up but he's not letting anyone on. I think he gave a big hint to Alex in the early episodes when she was lamenting why she couldn't leave, he said "I'm not done with you yet".

the fact that the new bad guy is threatening Gene to force him to be alone for the rest of his days by dismanteling his unit also indicates that what's happening is not just something Alex is dreaming up by herself

in any case I hope they give a conclusive explanation to finish the series and not something open ended

Missster.Freeman
April 11th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Could anyone give me a quick recap of the last quarter of Friday's episode, please? I fell asleep and missed the last 15 - 20 minutes of it. Thanks!

btw, I can't use iPlayer as I'm on mobile broadband for now and I'm capped to a few gigabytes per month. :(

Maximus
April 11th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Could anyone give me a quick recap of the last quarter of Friday's episode, please? I fell asleep and missed the last 15 - 20 minutes of it. Thanks!

btw, I can't use iPlayer as I'm on mobile broadband for now and I'm capped to a few gigabytes per month. :(

well.....in terms of the last 15 mins, the murder storyline is just tiny compared to the big twist at the end.

The old fella is the murderer, and Shaz goes undercover to expose him. he tries to kill her and she stabs him, and they catch him.
in luigi's, they are all celebrating, and Gene asks shaz to reconsider her discussion to quit. He says she could be in CID by christmas at this rate.
Shaz accepts to stay on, and the camera moves in on her. What happens next takes place over about a second, but.....camera focuses on Shaz face, background and music fade out. Shaz grins (very suspiciously) at the camera. in the background suddenly (and quietly-i had to rewind to make sure i hadnt imagined it) "life on mars" by Bowie. then it all fades and returns to normal.

Draw your own theory....but mine....Shaz is Sam Tyler!!!!

there you go :)

Maximus
April 11th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Ok I have to say a great big "LOL!" to the beginning of this last episode. One up side to ashes over LoM is stuff like that. Gene Hunt and the CID squad doing their rendition of the video to uptown girl. Better than Westlife any day of the week. :P
Other than that it was a pretty good episode. However one thing really really stood out to me. Right after Gene told Shaz she was gonna be made a Detective there was a close up on her in slow-mo and in the background was justa few lines of Life on Mars:
"It's a God awful small affair,
To the girl with the mousy hair."
Now certainly this description seems to fit Shaz......but the fact that they'd use life on mars at all must have a lot of significance.

Any ideas?

I think Shaz is Sam!!!

Maximus
April 11th, 2010, 07:40 AM
It's a great series because the individual episodes are always decent and the overarching storyline is soooooo intriguing.

Clearly there's a lot more to Gene than him being an ordinary cop. He seems to know what's going on much like the evil mystery guys popping up but he's not letting anyone on. I think he gave a big hint to Alex in the early episodes when she was lamenting why she couldn't leave, he said "I'm not done with you yet".

the fact that the new bad guy is threatening Gene to force him to be alone for the rest of his days by dismanteling his unit also indicates that what's happening is not just something Alex is dreaming up by herself

in any case I hope they give a conclusive explanation to finish the series and not something open ended

I think Gene is covering up that Sams body wasnt there, and that the officer we keep seeing with a bullet in his head was used to pretend sam had died.
oh, and that this is all some kinda inbetween place (opposite to purgatory)!! gene an angel????

The Mighty 6 platoon
April 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM

And here (at least for UK people) is the vid of that epic moment. :D
*EDIT Should work for everyone now*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s283RREAMjs
I am really enjoy Ashes to Ashes, if this is its last season, it's been excellent so far.

Oh and this has to be the definition of Crowning Moment of Awesome. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxQ0tEANsA

Major Clanger
April 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
You lot are hilarious...ly young.

BILLY JOEL sang uptown girl and performed in the video with his then-girlfriend (later wife, even later ex-wife) Christie Brinkley...
:D

*rolls eyes*

P-90_177
April 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
You lot are hilarious...ly young.

BILLY JOEL sang uptown girl and performed in the video with his then-girlfriend (later wife, even later ex-wife) Christie Brinkley...
:D

*rolls eyes*

Lol. I know that. When I said about westlife I meant that Gene Hunts take on it is far better than theirs. :P

Catsitter
April 17th, 2010, 08:06 AM
So what about the date 6-6-20 on Alex's desk, and the fact that she and Shaz have seen stars in the sky during the day? I really hope I'm wrong but I have a horrid suspicion that
the explanation for everything is going to be the same as the US Life on Mars

There was another snippet from the song "Life on Mars" in that moment with Ray after Gene gave him the cigar at the end of the latest episode; wonder what that's all about.

Ian-S
April 17th, 2010, 06:55 PM
So what about the date 6-6-20 on Alex's desk, and the fact that she and Shaz have seen stars in the sky during the day? I really hope I'm wrong but I have a horrid suspicion that
the explanation for everything is going to be the same as the US Life on Mars

hmm yeah could be the
My speculation includes Spoilers for US Life on Mars ending - click at your own risk
6-6-20 (6th June 2020) could be the scheduled mission landing date, and the explanation for them all (my speculation) seeing night stars during the day is it's an interactive VR and everybody is the crew and they're all in the same VR world - maybe Sam died during the space flight and Alex is his replacement on the mission? That would explain why everybody elses "world" continued after Sam died until Alex got to the ship - smaller ship could travel faster and catch up but it would still take a while, she arrives, plugs herself in and bingo - Shaz, Annie and the extras are AI provided by the VR program to create the realism of reality.

I dunno, just speculating.

Wayston
April 17th, 2010, 11:52 PM
hopefully it's not that, anything but that :(

Jimmylad89
April 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Shaz had the stars vision aswell so i doubt she wud be AI, my theory is that all of them are in comas and some how they've all found there way into Gene hunts coma which is the oldest/longest in the real world maybe the rest of them are just realising wats happening to them...that my theory anyway

pbellosom
May 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM
Here's my theory:

So I'm thinking that whatever Keats is doing, it can end two possible ways. One leads to the dead police officer and the other somehow involves the Song Life on Mars, maybe it's two do with whats sending people back in time. The main characters' actions affect which outcome we get, when Shaz and Ray made life changing decisions they got the Life on Mars music, Chris however is siding with Keats which is why we got the dead cop when he made his decision, his choice makes that the more likely outcome. Stupid question, but did we ever find out who actually hit Sam with a car? Maybe PC 6620 did it, which is why we get an outcome where he's dead, and one involving Life on Mars?

Still got no answer for the stars though.

Madeleine
May 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Still got no answer for the stars though.

The stars, and the comments Chris made when he heard Ray was seeing stars, might be a dig at the US version LoM, or a red herring to make people who've watched the US LoM wonder if Ashes will have the same ending.

Ian-S
May 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
or they could be a hint at where the ending is going.
Why take a dig at the US version, and if it's a red herring, how they gonna explain it, group hallucinations?

Nah, why think up something new when you already have an ending available? (no matter how crap it was).

pbellosom
May 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Nah, why think up something new when you already have an ending available? (no matter how crap it was).

Because they came up with their ending years ago when LoM was first beginning and was planned to go for three seasons?

Ian-S
May 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I think the ending has been set in stone since before it even aired over here (the series was first pitched to the BBC in 1998), they've just stretched it out over 5 series here whereas the American's wrapped it up in 1 because it was obvious from fairly early on that the US version was not going to make the cut so hey had time to write the ending into it.

Technically Ashes to Ashes only exists because John Simm didn't want to carry on, so I consider it still part of the original story just with a different lead shoehorned in.

Remember the UK Life on Mars version came first, then Ashes to Ashes, then Life on Mars US.

pbellosom
May 7th, 2010, 05:57 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that when they came up with the ending way back in 1998, they didn't tell it to the makers of the American show. The writers of the American show just got the original series to work from, no secret memos telling them what was going on behind the scenes.

Tonight's episodes was amazing, possibly my favourite one. Right now I'm leaning towards the guy not being Sam, because I can't see them bringing Sam back without Simm, but if he's not Sam who is he? Now that Alex has found the photos in the desk I'm convinced that the dead policeman is Gene. Who else got the impression when Viv was dying that Keats was claiming his soul? Any ideas about Keats really being the good guy are out the window now, I do like the theory that he's a doctor in the present mercy killing coma patients, but I don't think it holds up.

Wayston
May 8th, 2010, 10:22 AM
yeah I also got the impression from the episode that gene is the wandering policeman, maybe Gene's body is beyond all repair in the real world so he chooses to stay in this one; the fact that the supposed sam tyler says that the three musketeers are together as he is with gene and alex also seems to indicate that gene is somehow more real than other characters in the 1980's world

it also seems like for the first time events in the 1980's world have diverged from the real world, because Viv lives in the real world and he seems to have died here plus alex sees that the riots seem to be in a wrong year/place. If there'd have been a riot with press brought in (silly move anyway you never give hostage takers more hostages) and police being held hostage it should have been plastered all over the news.

Claire
May 8th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah. Things are starting to get a lot more interesting. I wanting to know what happened to Sam Tyler since the first series of Ashes to Ashes. Has anyone noticed that Alex has not mentioned her daughter? Well these next two episodes are going to be really good.:sheppard:

shipper hannah
May 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
What if Sam Tyler isn't really dead, but Gene Hunt was helping him fake his own death?

Ian-S
May 8th, 2010, 11:51 AM
What if Sam Tyler isn't really dead, but Gene Hunt was helping him fake his own death?

I've suspected that too.

The point I'm trying to make is that when they came up with the ending way back in 1998, they didn't tell it to the makers of the American show. The writers of the American show just got the original series to work from, no secret memos telling them what was going on behind the scenes.

and you know that because....? you worked on the US show maybe?
I know what you're saying, suppose it could go either way, we'll either get a fantastic ending none of us were expecting, or the US version was literally a remake with a few chapters missing, but usually when other countries do a remake, they don't introduce major new story lines to the plot, and you'd imagine you'd get the whole story for the remake, not half the story and expected to make up the rest yourself, iirc the US version pilot had the same producer and after that it was handed over to the local crew.

If this is a Virtual Reality environment to keep the crew neurologically stimulated during the trip to Mars, then the normal facts of life don't apply and they don't need Simm to reprise Sam's role, Sam could be anybody.

The discrepancies in dates could be because the environment is based loosely on history rather than factually.

My wife thinks I'm crazy for having this theory :)

Reefgirl
May 8th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if these ideas have been sounded before.

Sam and Alex haven't gone back in time and they are in fact in a Alternative Reality, the stars are indicating that that reality is breaking down (Guess who watches far too much Dr Who) how or why I don't know.

Jim Keats is the Grim Reaper or the Devil

Gene is PC 6620. The ghostly copper is the Gene who died in Alex's proper reality, you know the theory that every decision you make the other get's played out in another reality. The reality Alex and Sam found themselves in is the one the Gene that lived now resides in.

Shazz has a lot to do with what's been going on

Ian-S
May 8th, 2010, 12:23 PM
change Alternative to Virtual and we're pretty much on the same page. I take the stars as preparation for being woken up, or perhaps they're trying to wake them up but they're so involved in the simulation that they're resisting, Keats is either the person trying to wake them up, or just part of the program.

Either way I don't think the "world" or 90% of the people there are real, they're just part of the program to keep them alive on the trip, it always seemed pretty strange to me to name a program "Life on Mars" when it had nothing to do with the planet itself.

Reefgirl
May 8th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I don't think it will be that cheesy, British Sci Fi doesn't do that kind of Spaceship drama, not since Blake's 7 anyway

P-90_177
May 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
change Alternative to Virtual and we're pretty much on the same page. I take the stars as preparation for being woken up, or perhaps they're trying to wake them up but they're so involved in the simulation that they're resisting, Keats is either the person trying to wake them up, or just part of the program.

Either way I don't think the "world" or 90% of the people there are real, they're just part of the program to keep them alive on the trip, it always seemed pretty strange to me to name a program "Life on Mars" when it had nothing to do with the planet itself.

Erm yes...But it's not named after the planet, it's named after the David Bowie Song.

Ian-S
May 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
as far as we know LOL

Ian-S
May 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM
After tonight's episode I've got a feeling this is gonna have a really, really crap ending next week.

huntress
May 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Okay. We know that the creators of LoM and A2A won't do that crappy ending of the US version of LoM (never saw it but read about it and laughed my ass off- it was simply terrible), because they absolutely hated it. What the frak is the deal with those stars??? Now Chris also joined Shaz and Ray. I just hope the ending won't be some pseudo-religious mumbo jumbo. :-\ Also in regards of Alex and Gene. UST much? If bloody Keats hadn't tcalled Alex at the end of the episode, then I am pretty sure the whole situation would have ended with Alex and Gene in bed together. Darn.

Flyboy
May 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Okay. We know that the creators of LoM and A2A won't do that crappy ending of the US version of LoM (never saw it but read about it and laughed my ass off- it was simply terrible), because they absolutely hated it. What the frak is the deal with those stars??? Now Chris also joined Shaz and Ray. I just hope the ending won't be some pseudo-religious mumbo jumbo. :-\ Also in regards of Alex and Gene. UST much? If bloody Keats hadn't tcalled Alex at the end of the episode, then I am pretty sure the whole situation would have ended with Alex and Gene in bed together. Darn.

God did it.

Wayston
May 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
maybe gene is god :p

Ian-S
May 17th, 2010, 03:02 AM
more like the devil :p

pbellosom
May 17th, 2010, 04:39 AM
If someone's the devil then it's Keats. I was leaning quite heavily towards the idea of Keats and Hunt being locked in some epic struggle but for some reason Hunt's forgotten it, but after last week I'm now thinking the key players are Keats and Nelson and Hunt's as confused as the rest of us.

Ever since the first episode of LoM I've been convinced that the show's basically Terry Pratchett's Night Watch and even though the similarities are far less since it became A2A I still can't help thinking that Shaz, Ray and Chris are the regular coppers just doing their job that need to be killed in order for the future that Sam comes from to actually happen.

I'm still certain the guy missing his face is Gene, I can maybe see it ending with them finding the body and Gene being massively in denial until he finally accepts that he's dead and the show/Life on Mars universe ends.

huntress
May 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM
I came to the conclusion (the copper ghost) that this is really Gene a while ago. I think that Gene has died in 1953 and this whole thing is something like the purgatory.

Wayston
May 19th, 2010, 10:53 AM
whatever the outcome I hope enough time is spent on developing it, rather than a normal episode storyline with a bit of the long awaited explanation near the end

Ian-S
May 19th, 2010, 03:50 PM
based on the trailers I think the "answer" will be revealed in the last 30 seconds.

I always though the ghost copper was

Chris, or maybe his Dad.

huntress
May 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I hope not. Very, very few show and films have pulled off a stunt like that successfuly. I actually think that "The Crying Game", "Unusual Suspects" and "Sixth Sense" are pretty much the only films and I can't even think of a single show that pulled this off well.

P-90_177
May 21st, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well I quite liked that. It makes sense to a degree while at the same time it leaves plenty of question to leave the brain scratching. As it was explained Gene is in control over a sort of limbo that he controls. Picking up stray coppers who are having trouble dealing with their deaths. Jim is therefore the devil who simply wants Gene out of the way so that he can have his say over who goes to heaven or hell like how he tried to convince Ray, Chris and Shaz to go down in the lift. And then Nelson serves as either God or perhaps st-peter for lack of a better name.

I like the idea that fallen coppers who are dedicated to their jobs over anything else go to a particular place when they die. It's kinda like the idea of Valhalla or other mythical afterlifes where only heroes go. However it does make you wonder who the other characters in Genes fantasy are. Do they represent anyone in particular? Are they dead too? Or perhaps obsticals sent by Jimbo to try and make life more dificult. And then of course there are stories from life on mars to reconsider. Remember that episode with Genes old mentor who had cancer and becamne bent to try and get some retirement cash? Could that be based on Genes mentor who let him down and went to the pub and therefore let gene down and got himself killed? What about that advisary of Sams that tried to kill him in his hospital bed and also appeared in the 70's? Was that merely a representation of him because he was there in sams room as well?

I think we need to re watch both life on mars and ashes to ashes in order to analyse everything that happend and look at it in a new light. In that way we might be able to better understand this afterlife. Clearly it is people near death or in comas who initially come into the Genes fantasy and remember who they are, and then as they slowly die they begin to forget like alix started to at the beginning of the season. And of course it has to be asked, what happens when someone dies in this limbo fantasy? Like Viv....what happend to him? Are they claimed by Jim in the end?

EDIT: Decided to wrap all that in spoiler tags cos I figure not everyone will have seen the ending just yet. :P

Frostfox
May 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Gene Hunt, Death of Coppers?

"FANCY A PINT?"

I can live with that.

I wasn't as emotionally involved with Ashes, I cried my eyes out for the last ten plus minutes of Life on Mars, I missed the Sam/Gene interaction too much.

FF :nox:

P-90_177
May 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Gene Hunt, Death of Coppers?

"FANCY A PINT?"

I can live with that.

I wasn't as emotionally involved with Ashes, I cried my eyes out for the last ten plus minutes of Life on Mars, I missed the Sam/Gene interaction too much.

I was really hoping that maybe they would have been able to sneak john simm in there secretly. I really really was willing him to come out of the pub after nelson but no matter. It was still good. :)

Frostfox
May 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
I was really hoping that maybe they would have been able to sneak john simm in there secretly. I really really was willing him to come out of the pub after nelson but no matter. It was still good. :)

Me too, right up to the last moment. Oh, well, we can't have everything.

Ian-S
May 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
Well, I wasn't overly impressed with the ending tbh.

Probably because it makes no real sense (yes I understand it and P-90_177 describes it perfectly), but really it seems as lame as "Starbuck's an Angel" answer from BSG, if anything I'd say the ending to the US version of LoM made more sense (even though it was written badly) because it was something that could almost actually happen, rather than this poor quality Six Sense clone.

Alan
May 21st, 2010, 02:51 PM
Beautiful, beautiful concluding episode to this 5-year franchise. Beautifully written and beautifully acted. An ending with heart and emotion. I'm going to miss this show and its characters very, very much.

Congratulations and massive thanks to all involved in creating two thought provoking, nostalgic shows that took us back to the 1970's and then the 1980's and gave us a great mystery slap-bang in the middle of it all.

Life on Mars
2006 - 2007

Ashes to Ashes
2008 - 2010

Thank you and goodbye.

P-90_177
May 21st, 2010, 03:38 PM
Well, I wasn't overly impressed with the ending tbh.

Probably because it makes no real sense (yes I understand it and P-90_177 describes it perfectly), but really it seems as lame as "Starbuck's an Angel" answer from BSG, if anything I'd say the ending to the US version of LoM made more sense (even though it was written badly) because it was something that could almost actually happen, rather than this poor quality Six Sense clone.

Hehe. Funnilly enough I loved the ending to BSG too. I like a little mystery. :P And I don't mind the whole idea of "God did it!" endings (for lack of a better term) since the best mystery of all is what happens after death or during death. :P

Alan
May 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hehe. Funnilly enough I loved the ending to BSG too. I like a little mystery. :P And I don't mind the whole idea of "God did it!" endings (for lack of a better term) since the best mystery of all is what happens after death or during death. :P

Well put. It was certainly a helluva lot better than the US LoM's ending where it all turned out to be deus ex machina in the year 2035! Talk about lack of heart. It was cold and clinical quick-fix sci-fi. Virtual reality my @55. I much prefer our British version where it ended with a big heart and plenty of emotion. Heart and emotion have both played a massive part in Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes and it kept that running through right up to the end.

P-90_177
May 21st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Well put. It was certainly a helluva lot better than the US LoM's ending where it all turned out to be deus ex machina in the year 2035! Talk about lack of heart. It was cold and clinical quick-fix sci-fi. Virtual reality my @55. I much prefer our British version where it ended with a big heart and plenty of emotion. Heart and emotion have both played a massive part in Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes and it kept that running through right up to the end.

Yeah no kidding. I hadn't actually seen that ending but I just decided to look it up..........absoloutley hidious. Esspecially the fact the Gene Hunt is Sam Tylers daddie................................I mean.....................................WHAT!!!??? How idiotic can writing get?

Alan
May 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah no kidding. I hadn't actually seen that ending but I just decided to look it up..........absoloutley hidious. Esspecially the fact the Gene Hunt is Sam Tylers daddie................................I mean.....................................WHAT!!!??? How idiotic can writing get?

*shudders* Awful. Gene as Sam's Dad?!?! Oh dear. I think that UK LoM's ending is more powerful and I think that the entire storyline as a whole was explained and wrapped up...and I know I keep repeating these words...with more heart and emotion in AtA.

P-90_177
May 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
*shudders* Awful. Gene as Sam's Dad?!?! Oh dear. I think that UK LoM's ending is more powerful and I think that the entire storyline as a whole was explained and wrapped up...and I know I keep repeating these words...with more heart and emotion in AtA.

I just wish they had been able to point more towards the final AtA explanation in LoM. Give us a few more clues along the way. But then again I guess they hadn't come up with it properly then.

Alan
May 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
I just wish they had been able to point more towards the final AtA explanation in LoM. Give us a few more clues along the way. But then again I guess they hadn't come up with it properly then.

Maybe. If you notice in LoM that every single scene features Sam Tyler. None of the other characters appear without him being present. The idea being is that once Sam leaves a room then everyone else disappears. Because the shows PTB were playing that card there was no opportunity to really develop the other characters. It was all about Sam, his visions, and his wanting to return to the 21st century. There was no real way to "seed" the conclusion of it all in AtA because of the way LoM was done. Of course once it was revealed that Gene and the others did carry on outside of Sam's sight that the development of their characters could begin and once they started to get explored the world that Sam and then Alex found themselves in could be explored too.

Ian-S
May 21st, 2010, 05:56 PM

I liked BSG too, it's just in both shows there was so much potential for making the endings better imho.
This was ok right up until the point where Jim went nuts smashing up the office, then it was kind of obvious that they didn't want to do the US ending, but didn't really have a proper ending themselves so they decided to just muddled through with half a dozen plot lines for something that they've spent 5 years trying to convince people is real, and tie them into an ending that wasn't at all.

Qudos to the person who worked out it was all about Gene though and they were all dead LOL
(couple of pages back).

Frostfox
May 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure I want to go too deep into comparing the two shows; I'm fairly sure that this was not a thought out plot thread from the Life on Mars seasons, however, that being said, it tied up Ashes to Ashes very well.

And, as said, had a lot of heart and satisfying closure.

And I really, really loved the last scene. "A word in your shell like..."

FF 'I'm 'avin 'oops' :nox:

Wayston
May 22nd, 2010, 12:47 AM
I liked the ending. I'm glad they didn't "cop out" on the big reveal. There are some loose ends though that I would have liked to see resolved. What about the guy that shot Alex Drake in the real world? What about the old chris skelton turncoat?

Admiral Mappalazarou
May 22nd, 2010, 12:50 AM
I liked the ending. I'm glad they didn't "cop out" on the big reveal. There are some loose ends though that I would have liked to see resolved. What about the guy that shot Alex Drake in the real world? What about the old chris skelton turncoat?

The only thing I'm confused about is Viv. I mean if he died in the limbo world, what happened to him?

But I thought the last episode was terrific.

Ian-S
May 22nd, 2010, 01:30 AM
Viv's soul was taken by the devil, hence the look on his face when he finally copped it, he saw Keats in his real form as the devil himself and not the "Jim Keats" we saw.

Still think it was a crap ending, I mean, in the pilot we see Drake studying files on Sam Tylers experiences - how did he write those (or tell the person who compiled them) if he was already long dead? (edit actually he did come back briefly before jumping off the roof didn't he).

P-90_177
May 22nd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Viv's soul was taken by the devil, hence the look on his face when he finally copped it, he saw Keats in his real form as the devil himself and not the "Jim Keats" we saw.

Still think it was a crap ending, I mean, in the pilot we see Drake studying files on Sam Tylers experiences - how did he write those (or tell the person who compiled them) if he was already long dead? (edit actually he did come back briefly before jumping off the roof didn't he).

yeah and you see him at one point recording a message for a colleague who was collecting data on coppers who had suffered psychological trauma. That as it turns out was alex.

Ian-S
May 22nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Yup, well hmm I suppose it was an ok ending, I'd have still prefered a better twist than they're all dead, afraid to say my wife guessed that in the first series of LoM.

huntress
May 22nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
Who would have thought that I guessed everything right this time, but how come I don't really feel satisfied with the ending? Maybe because in my mind I thought of a better one? I had always hoped that it would end like this: Gene entering the "Railway to Arms", seeing Sam sitting there and saying to Gene "About bloody time that you show up", okay Gene and Alex getting together would have been also nice. That new guy showing up just made me sad for Gene, because everyone moves on but he stays behind. It also makes Sam, Alex and the rest of the gang less important in the life of Gene Hunt.

I really don't know what to think of this ending.

Wayston
May 22nd, 2010, 03:04 AM
I like the fact that he stayed behind alone. He was a true hero that got offed in the real world before he had any chance to shine at all. In the world he is in now he can be himself - a hero rescuing others, thereby "living" up to his character and purpose. He could visit the pub at some point, but he feels he still has a duty to fulfill. I wouldn't say Gene is living a happy life, but he gains fulfillment by helping others and that's why he voluntarily choses to continue.

I don't think the characters of alex drake and sam tyler and even Chris, Ray and Chaz were *that* unique as such. Gene saved people before and will save people again. The place they are in simply made him forget why he was there for a while (maybe his loneliness got the better of him) and they had to save him for a change. That's what'll set them apart in Gene's memory forever. Other than that I'd expect he will grow a special bond with every soul that enters his department.

Flyboy
May 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM
I feel cold and broken inside. :(

Same feeling as when I first read the end of 'The Amber Spyglass'.

This was a truely heartbreaking (and thus BRILLIANT) ending, that's left me feeling desolate and melancholy for poor Gene Hunt. :(

Captain Lazlo
May 25th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I thought there was going to be another series shot after this one. I missed the final episode, my recorder failed:(

Flyboy
May 25th, 2010, 04:49 AM
iPlayer is your friend.

pbellosom
May 25th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The only thing I'm confused about is Viv. I mean if he died in the limbo world, what happened to him?

He went to hell sadly, it always leaves me feeling uncomfortable when shows that explicitly have afterlives send people to bad ones forever, I got the same in Angel.

I was wondering what this meant for Summers though. Did he get to move on when he got shot? He did after all manage to sort out his big issue which even Alex and Sam couldn't.