PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Technology

Zeus
October 15th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I dont know how many other threads there are on this topic that are still in use. However Atlantishas only just started in the uk however the technology dosnt appear to be millions of years ahead of us or am i mistaken.
Spoilers
In new order part 2 Sg1the asgard were able just to replecate the weapon that jake designed and granted there is alot of atlantis to you know explor i hope they find tech worthy of being millions of years ahead of us
Anyone else got any thoughts

KayMan2k
October 15th, 2004, 05:05 AM
"Glowing Jellyfish Of Doom", Puddlejumpers, an entire city capable of space travel, an energy source based on space/time itself, technology that can literally read your mind, (REST IS SPOILERS ALL EPISODES AFTER PILOT)a personalized shield, a containment field for an energy lifeform, genetic engineering, holograms, the entire city can conduct electricity and elevators/transports with a touch screen interface aren't advanced enough for ya?

yaaayoubetcha
October 15th, 2004, 05:54 AM
and don't forget they found a computer lab full of Timex/Sinclair computers.....now that's ancient technology.......

:D

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaand the shield that McKay found!

LordAnubis
October 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM
and don't forget they found a computer lab full of Timex/Sinclair computers.....now that's ancient technology.......

:D
Timex made computers? Huh? <scratches head> I musta missed this :( I'm dumb! :(

LordAnubis
October 15th, 2004, 07:33 AM
I dont know how many other threads there are on this topic that are still in use. However Atlantishas only just started in the uk however the technology dosnt appear to be millions of years ahead of us or am i mistaken.
Spoilers
In new order part 2 Sg1the asgard were able just to replecate the weapon that jake designed and granted there is alot of atlantis to you know explor i hope they find tech worthy of being millions of years ahead of us
Anyone else got any thoughts
What exactly do you want? Technology that corrects bad spelling and incoherent sentences? :)

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 07:34 AM
A lot of companies did, actually.

Mr Prophet
October 15th, 2004, 07:47 AM
"It's called a PDP11, and unlike our computers it can also be used as a sturdy seat, or drinks cabinet."

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 07:50 AM
"It's called a PDP11, and unlike our computers it can also be used as a sturdy seat, or drinks cabinet."
That sounds like the description they use for those giant room sized computers from the 30s.

Mr Prophet
October 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM
That sounds like the description they use for those giant room sized computers from the 30s.

Such as the PDP11, for example. Not quite room-sized, but still pretty chunky for a 'micro' computer.

greytop
October 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM
What exactly do you want? Technology that corrects bad spelling and incoherent sentences? :)
That's exactly why I have a computer to use the spell and grammer check. (I'm terrible at those things.)

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM
I don't like those spell checkers. They put the wrong words in

Ancient 1
October 15th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Perhaps GateWorld should offer "Spell check" for those in need.

greytop
October 15th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Perhaps GateWorld should offer "Spell check" for those in need.
I wish they would.

LordMartin
October 15th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I don't like those spell checkers. They put the wrong words in

Meh Tuo I thinc da spel chek is over raited too.

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Meh Tuo I thinc da spel chek is over raited too.
Most def dey dun no da diffarinse btween than & then

greytop
October 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM
That's the English language for you.

aeroe
October 15th, 2004, 12:07 PM
It appears that the Ancients hit a technological wall sometime after leaving our galaxy. Technology does appear the same, same puddlejumpers, slightly modified gates, those squid missiles, and the same flying city.

That could explain another reason why ascension was so important, other than an alternative to having the life sucked out of you by the Wraith.

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Well, every civilization has their age "golden age."

LordAnubis
October 15th, 2004, 07:19 PM
That's exactly why I have a computer to use the spell and grammer check. (I'm terrible at those things.)
Nah, u spel reel gud. I duz to cuz I gaht hukt ahn fonix! :) Just kidding.

LordAnubis
October 15th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Well, every civilization has their age "golden age."
There are some I could name (in private) that have to achieve even a modicum of civilization. All that they have they "borrowed" from others. :)

LordAnubis
October 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM
It appears that the Ancients hit a technological wall sometime after leaving our galaxy. Technology does appear the same, same puddlejumpers, slightly modified gates, those squid missiles, and the same flying city.

That could explain another reason why ascension was so important, other than an alternative to having the life sucked out of you by the Wraith.
Well, once you achieve a god-like state, technologically, what else is there? Of course they will plateau and remain stagnant for a while. They took the next step: Ascension. What else is there?

aschen
October 15th, 2004, 07:31 PM
There are some I could name (in private) that have to achieve even a modicum of civilization. All that they have they "borrowed" from others. :)

I think I know who you're talking about. :eek:

auir999
October 16th, 2004, 03:46 PM
considering that some of their tech doesn't appear to even use moving parts, and almost seem impossible that they would even work. I mean the gate system it self is remarkable.

Ancient 1
October 17th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Most def dey dun no da diffarinse btween than & then

A word is a word; Spell check cannot determine intent. There are a number of people around here who don't know the difference between 'then' & 'than' also.

But alas, we are getting off topic...or are we? Maybe Tau'ri tech works here.