X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guilt

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of SG-1 fan fic lately (as a newbie to the show--better late than never) and have noticed that a great many stories contain great heaping loads of guilt. Jack feels guilty about this, Sam feels guilty about that, etc. While I can understand people blaming themselves for one thing or another, I wonder if other readers (and writers) get sort of burned out on it. This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate guilt as a motivating factor or that its presence makes for a bad story. That is certainly not the case; I don't want to demean anyone's efforts because it's a beautiful thing to put to paper a good adventure tale, however guilt-ridden it may be.

However, that said, I do get bogged down when a story is rolling along and all sorts of cool stuff is happening and then, boom, someone comes out and says "It's all my fault." Which makes me furrow my brow wondering why this character would ever consider whatever has occurred to be their fault. I guess this is a question of why many authors bring guilt into their stories. I'd also wonder why it plays such a big role in the fan fic lives of all the main characters, when in the show itself only O'Neill appears to have a Big Guilt Whopper on his plate. Not even Teal'c, who left his family to live on earth, seems to feel overwhelmingly guilty, because he deserted them to fight the Goa'uld and thus free his people.

Again, I'm not criticizing anyone's stories! I'm simply curious and would like to know others' feelings on this subject.

Sparky

well, guilt is an easy road to angst. and angst is easy to write.

most of your hurt/comfort fic is loaded with guilt, and then angst and usually, smarm in the end

it can be fun....it can be easy to write, and it's also horribly easy to write it poorly
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X