PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Windows? Hazmat suits?

Hypochondriac
January 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I realize without the shield Atlantis is supposed to be extremely fragile, but wasn't it too easy to break the windows?

In most sci-fi shows they use transparent aluminum or something like that. I would thought the Ancients would use something other then glass, or make it a bit stronger.

I think it would have been better if it took more then 1 hit to break the windows.

Shouldn't Dr. Keller have had access to a Hazmat suit or two? The last time quarantine was engaged people in Hazmat suits were able to move around. I was expecting her to put on a suit to determine what happened.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yeah Keller might have had access to hazmat suits but it wouldn't have done any good because the lockdown wasn't because of an outbreak. It was a malfunction so it wouldn't have done her any good and would've just wasted time as a story element so it's not there.

Hypochondriac
January 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah Keller might have had access to hazmat suits but it wouldn't have done any good because the lockdown wasn't because of an outbreak. It was a malfunction so it wouldn't have done her any good and would've just wasted time as a story element so it's not there.

Wasn't the malfunction that the lockdown got triggered? The other lockdown protocols were in effect, So the hazmat suit thing should have worked. Ah well it's just a TV show.

Gaya
January 20th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Oh man, yes. What happened to the hazmat suits? I mean, I'd willingly accept reasons for it not working (say, the hazmats are locked in a room that is now inaccessible due to the lockdown, or the lockdown just made it all not work properly, and thus the city doesn't recognise the hazmats as enough protection to let them out), but there really should've been some explanation to why people aren't donning them instead of trying to blast their way out or climbing up buildings.

s09119
January 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM
The entire system was on the fritz, so it's reasonable to assume that Hazmat'ed teams would no longer have that freedom.

talyn2k1
January 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
One thing that made me curious about the windows.

When Shep broke the window in the room where he and Teyla were, the city didn't seem to care.

When he broke the window in the control room, it initiated the last resort containment measure - the self destruct.

So why did the city not initiate the self-destruct when Shep broke the first window?

Hypochondriac
January 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM
One thing that made me curious about the windows.

When Shep broke the window in the room where he and Teyla were, the city didn't seem to care.

When he broke the window in the control room, it initiated the last resort containment measure - the self destruct.

So why did the city not initiate the self-destruct when Shep broke the first window?

I'm guessing that in the second instance the system detected there was an unauthorized entrance or a life form. Basically an extra person got added to the command room. So it detected shep wasn't wearing protection and assumed everything got contaminated

PG15
January 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Wait wait...didn't the self-destruct only start when he turned off of the beacon?

Mitchell82
January 20th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Wait wait...didn't the self-destruct only start when he turned off of the beacon?

No after the city determined there was a breach of the quarantine which was after the window broke. As to the suits well they may not be stored there.

magicfrizbees
January 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I realize without the shield Atlantis is supposed to be extremely fragile, but wasn't it too easy to break the windows?

In most sci-fi shows they use transparent aluminum or something like that. I would thought the Ancients would use something other then glass, or make it a bit stronger.

I think it would have been better if it took more then 1 hit to break the windows.

I remember a similar discussion during Star Trek TNG - Wesl...someone had commandeered Main Engineeering and they needed to get back in, but no one suggested smashing the "glass" - the assumption being that something a little sturdier was being used. Transparent aluminum might have mentioned at the time (not on the show) - and if any later episodes had "shattered" that premise, there would have been hell to pay.

I supposed in canon, although Scotty used Plexiglass to build his whale tank - he "paid for it" by leaving behind the formula for --- transparent alumium.

Back to Atlantis, people have already mentioned the previous damage and the probability that replacement materials from Earth must have been brought in - but we're talking about a high-profile structure constantly subjected to attack, the occasional hurricane, submersion, and hyperspace travel. Shields are all well and good, but tempered glass of a decent thickness would still have been used, and that would require a lot more effort than merely tossing a stool at it.

Or maybe - 10,000-year-old transparent aluminum is just brittle, like you say.

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM

By the timing, yes, but the message said quarantine breached. So I figured it was the entry that did it, and it just took a few moments to kick off. Sheppard was fairly quick on the keyboard, there.

My first idea was that the security program knew the difference between exit (window broken outwards) and entry (broken inwards). Therefore, it didn't trip the problem protocol on the first window, since going outside isn't going to cause any interior infection, but when the entry occurred, then quarantine was breached.

But it's also very possible that the upped body count was what set it off.

talyn2k1
January 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM
By the timing, yes, but the message said quarantine breached. So I figured it was the entry that did it, and it just took a few moments to kick off. Sheppard was fairly quick on the keyboard, there.

My first idea was that the security program knew the difference between exit (window broken outwards) and entry (broken inwards). Therefore, it didn't trip the problem protocol on the first window, since going outside isn't going to cause any interior infection, but when the entry occurred, then quarantine was breached.

But it's also very possible that the upped body count was what set it off.

Considering the quarantine is meant to keep the infection inside the city just as much as preventing further infection from getting in. The infection was already inside the city so I doubt it would be worried about someone entering the city with an infection.
If the infection is inside the city, the breaking of the first window should've made the city realise that the infection was able to get out and triggered the self-destruct to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the planet.

The body count wouldn't of been different as Shep had merely left and entered the city.

The only thing I can think of is that the city didn't consider the control room to be infected and considered it to be the last clean area. It wasn't triggered by Shep leaving the city because it just isn't programmed to be bothered about people leaving the city (which it should be imho). However, when the entry was made, it assumed that the entry was Shep who had left an infected area, thereby infecting the last clean area in the city and triggering the self-destruct as all hope was now lost!

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 05:23 AM
The only thing I can think of is that the city didn't consider the control room to be infected and considered it to be the last clean area. It wasn't triggered by Shep leaving the city because it just isn't programmed to be bothered about people leaving the city (which it should be imho). However, when the entry was made, it assumed that the entry was Shep who had left an infected area, thereby infecting the last clean area in the city and triggering the self-destruct as all hope was now lost!

Pretty much what I thought but phrased MUCH more clearly!! :D Thanks.

Atlantis15
January 21st, 2008, 06:12 AM
Sorry to butt in but did McKay change some of the lockdown protocols so people in hazmat suits might not have been able to get out even if they wanted to also I think the hazmat suits are stored in the labs not the imfirmary.

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 07:22 AM
... also I think the hazmat suits are stored in the labs not the imfirmary.
I think you're right - I wondered why Keller and Ronon didn't even TRY to get out with Hazmat suits, so that now makes sense.

Atlantis15
January 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I have been wondering why didn't Sheppard simply look for a hazmat suit in Mckay's lab because he was bound to have one It's Mckay, if he had done that then he would have had to become Ninja Sheppard and climb the tower.

wise one
January 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
i thought during first strike when the asuran beam weapon smashed all the windows aswell as grazing the side of the tower and nearly killing weir

so earth would of needed to call window repairers

and they should make it air tight and make open up windows to let some fresh air in

Hypochondriac
January 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Sorry to butt in but did McKay change some of the lockdown protocols so people in hazmat suits might not have been able to get out even if they wanted to also I think the hazmat suits are stored in the labs not the imfirmary.

That couldn't be it. It would be idiotic of Mckay to have locked out everyone.

I would think Hazmat suits would be stored in the infirmary as well. In case of a disease outbreak wouldn't you want the doctors protected ASAP?

Pogo01
January 21st, 2008, 08:38 PM
What I don't get is why doesn't the Lockdown include sealing the windows.

FallenAngelII
January 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
But she didn't know that. In fact, among all of the peoplewho were trapped, only she and Rodney were the only ones who truly believed there had been an outbreak.

It was very irresponsible of her to not put on a Hazmat suit and have Ronon do the same.

Atlantis15
January 22nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Remember The lockdown procedure had some flaws so it might have lock out people wearing hazmat. Also if you think about it anyone in a hazmat suit could have been jumped from behind by a sick person could have taken the suit (after cracking them over the head with something) then wondered freely around the city until they found a nice populated area, taken off the suit and spread it like the Black Death.

If the lockdown sealed the windows then the claustrophobic would just lose it and started kniving people for stealing their air and if the lockdown shut off the air vents if it was an airbourne virus then everyone would surrogate without the windows.

This is to the Keller and hazmat suits thing, you are all assuming that the doctors would automatically need a hazmat suit if there were an outbreak, they might not have needed a hazmat suit for some virus's also I'm sure she would have put one on if she new what sort of outbreak it had been and if she could actually get at the sick people.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
But she didn't know that. In fact, among all of the peoplewho were trapped, only she and Rodney were the only ones who truly believed there had been an outbreak.

It was very irresponsible of her to not put on a Hazmat suit and have Ronon do the same.

Like I said - as a story element, it would have just wasted time. They only have a certain amount of time each episode and to have her put on a hazmat suit just to take it off again would have been a complete waste of time.

Amalthea
January 22nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
If it were a real Quarantine, people wouldn't want to be breaking the windows since they would know it would be a bad situation if the virus spread. Since they knew it wasn't real, braking windows was ok.

As for Mr. Scotty's transparent aluminum, I don't see why Atlantis windows should be all fancy like that. Remember, they went out on the balcony when the city was in space. The windows are for show and protection from terrestrial elements only. The shield on Atlantis does all the hard work.

The hazmat suits could have been in the other part of the infirmary. Most of the Atlantis rooms got cut in half by the walls/doors locking into place. This could have been an unanticipated consequence of the dear, germaphobic Dr. McKay since they hadn't tested out at this level before.

Mitchell82
January 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM

But as I said the hazmat suits may not have been in the immediate vacinity.

Lythisrose
January 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Then they need to seriously rethink their outbreak/biohazard protocols! :S
And think of this as a (dangerously realistic) practice drill for the real thing.

Amalthea
January 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Then they need to seriously rethink their outbreak/biohazard protocols! :S
And think of this as a (dangerously realistic) practice drill for the real thing.

The fact that communications went down is the bigger issue for them to deal with beyond the location of the poor hazmat suits.

Mitchell82
January 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
The fact that communications went down is the bigger issue for them to deal with beyond the location of the poor hazmat suits.

The problem is comunications were down and if it was a real lockdown hopefully that wouldn't happen. The thing here is that they couldn't leave if they wanted to as the whole system went crazy.

FallenAngelII
January 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Like I said - as a story element, it would have just wasted time. They only have a certain amount of time each episode and to have her put on a hazmat suit just to take it off again would have been a complete waste of time.
Who said anything about showing her putting it on? She could've just randomly been wearing it in a scene. We don't need to see everything happen if we see the results, kinda like how we almost never see the team step through the gate anymore.

It's... the... infirmary... with only one single room (as far as I could see). It's one of the places where hazmat suits are the most important. Say a real outbreak occurs. Who are the most important people to protect? That's right, the doctors so they can treat the sick. And remember how every time there's a potential outbreak, the doctors are usually wearing hazmats? It'd be illogical to not have hazmats stored in the infirmary.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Who said anything about showing her putting it on? She could've just randomly been wearing it in a scene. We don't need to see everything happen if we see the results, kinda like how we almost never see the team step through the gate anymore.

I didn't mean "show her putting the hazmat suit on" I meant exactly what you said. In order to show her in the hazmat suit they have to at least take the time to explain why she's all of a sudden got this funny suit on even though the doors still aren't opening. That takes time away from other elements that might actually make a diference to the story.

Or they could just show her without the suit then cut away, cut back and now all of a sudden she's got the silly suit on, cut away and finally cut back and it's gone again and everybody says "WTH was that??"

FallenAngelII
January 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
I didn't mean "show her putting the hazmat suit on" I meant exactly what you said. In order to show her in the hazmat suit they have to at least take the time to explain why she's all of a sudden got this funny suit on even though the doors still aren't opening. That takes time away from other elements that might actually make a diference to the story.

Or they could just show her without the suit then cut away, cut back and now all of a sudden she's got the silly suit on, cut away and finally cut back and it's gone again and everybody says "WTH was that??"
Why would they have to explain it? It's a quarantine situation... she's a doctor. They always do this, especially on Atlantis (remember the last few times? No explanation there, they were just wearing them).

Also, how hard could it be to put in a 4-second line to "explain" it should the writers feel the audience too dumb to understand why she/they're wearing them? Especially when not doing it kinda paints the picture of a greenhorn who didn't know better.

And why would it be gone, at all? It would've stayed on throughout the entire episode.

Hypochondriac
January 23rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
They could have shown her with the suit on spend 4 seconds explaining that the doors don't open. and remove that line about how she never went to parties.

I agree with fallen angel not showing her in a hazmat suit or not even mentioning it, makes keller look bad

Mitchell82
January 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM

It's... the... infirmary... with only one single room (as far as I could see). It's one of the places where hazmat suits are the most important. Say a real outbreak occurs. Who are the most important people to protect? That's right, the doctors so they can treat the sick. And remember how every time there's a potential outbreak, the doctors are usually wearing hazmats? It'd be illogical to not have hazmats stored in the infirmary.

It wouldn't matter anyway as the infirmary was considerd to be infected anyway.

Hypochondriac
January 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
It wouldn't matter anyway as the infirmary was considerd to be infected anyway.

What make you say that? In hot zone only the mess hall was infected, but the quarantine protocol shut down everything.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
What make you say that? In hot zone only the mess hall was infected, but the quarantine protocol shut down everything.

There was no outbreak and the show had nothing to do with an outbreak. It was a character episode about the characters and their relationships.

If you put her in a hazmat suit you've gotta put Ronan in one or the doors still wont open. Then you've got these two characters sittin around in hazmat suits looking goofy (unnecessarily) trying to do this serious scene about getting to know each other.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Why would they have to explain it? It's a quarantine situation... she's a doctor. They always do this, especially on Atlantis (remember the last few times? No explanation there, they were just wearing them).

I don't remember ever seeing an episode where they put on Hazmat suits during a lockdown that had nothing to do with an outbreak.

Also, how hard could it be to put in a 4-second line to "explain" it should the writers feel the audience too dumb to understand why she/they're wearing them? Especially when not doing it kinda paints the picture of a greenhorn who didn't know better.

Because it's a waste of time that breaks the flow and the feel of the scene.

And why would it be gone, at all? It would've stayed on throughout the entire episode.

And would've made the whole Ronan/Keller part of the story seem silly.

Major_Griff
January 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I agree that showing them in hazmats and the door still not opening would have been a waste of time. Maybe they should have had them mention it in a line of dialogue that they tried it, but no more than that. The ep was about the character moments and not your typical actioner.

Mitchell82
January 25th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I agree that showing them in hazmats and the door still not opening would have been a waste of time. Maybe they should have had them mention it in a line of dialogue that they tried it, but no more than that. The ep was about the character moments and not your typical actioner.

I agree. I think some have just made this into their personall Keller vendetta.

Hypochondriac
January 25th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I agree. I think some have just made this into their personall Keller vendetta.

Not me, John was in the science lab, knowing mckay there had to have been a hazmat suit there. Same with the rest of Atlantis. I can't believe they don't have a procedure to handle a lockdown/quarantine other then radio mckay.

I realize the writers wanted character development in this episode, but would it have killed them to mention the suits?

rushy
August 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Another possibility is that Teyla and John were only able to move around because the lockdown was of a lighter level. The Code Nine(or whatever the number was) lockdown was so harsh that not even hazmat gets through.