PDA

View Full Version : Sheppard, Teyla and pregnancy: Comments on Quarantine

blue-skyz
January 19th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Each pair trapped together should have their own thread, so hereís a start.

Sheppard, Teyla and pregnancy: Comments on Quarantine.

Sheppard acting like Teyla is glass and needs to be looked after. :rolleyes:
Sheppardís right about the movies and Teyla looks big enough to go into labor right there.
(Horrible, horrible, horrible maternity outfit.)

Interesting ideas on pregnancy here:

Teyla wants to continue to go on missions, possibly putting her babyís life in danger.
But wonders about keeping it up after the babyís born, because she doesnít want the baby to grow up without his mother. :confused:

Sheppard doesnít want Teyla to go on missions while she is pregnant, she could be putting herself, the baby and the rest of the team in danger.
But expects her to go back to risking her life when the baby is a few months old.
(I liked the story about the cop with three kids that goes to work to protect them and everyone else.)

Please, please, please make this baby normal in every way (except the tiny bit of Wraith DNA like Teyla that we already know he must have). I want to see Teyla as a working mother. The baby can just stay in the background and mostly be unseen and give Teyla something to do). Normal aging process, please.

It was sweet that Sheppard told her the baby would always have a family on Atlantis. (Notice that he didnít say with him or the team.) But telling her that did make her sniffle about the family that he might not have anymore.

Itís funny, and not so funny, that a pregnant belly and a kicking fetus are fair game for anyone in the vicinity. Touching a pregnant belly is not an intimate act, it is a public attraction. :rolleyes: Sheppard feeling the baby kick was a touching moment, though. Nice to see him smile.

Teyla getting on the ledge was ridiculous. (A little common sense would be nice.) I think she intended to show Sheppard that she could still be a member of his team, but once she got on the ledge the implications of the current geometry of her body finally dawned on her. Maybe now we can move beyond the discussion of fitness for missions, but I doubt it.;)

Mitchell82
January 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Each pair trapped together should have their own thread, so hereís a start.

Sheppard, Teyla and pregnancy: Comments on Quarantine.

Sheppard acting like Teyla is glass and needs to be looked after. :rolleyes:
Sheppardís right about the movies and Teyla looks big enough to go into labor right there.
(Horrible, horrible, horrible maternity outfit.)
Uh thats because at this point Rachel was way more pregnant than the character. There was a month or so break in filming between TMC and BAMSR. As to the Teyla is glass part Shepard is trying to protect her I found that sweet.

Teyla wants to continue to go on missions, possibly putting her babyís life in danger.
But wonders about keeping it up after the babyís born, because she doesnít want the baby to grow up without his mother. :confused:
Her hormones are going crazy and she has conflicting feelings also she felt like she was still the same she always was in BAMSR and SoW but only briefly in SoW. Now she realizes there are more concerns than just her life.

Sheppard doesnít want Teyla to go on missions while she is pregnant, she could be putting herself, the baby and the rest of the team in danger.
But expects her to go back to risking her life when the baby is 2 months old.
(I liked the story about the cop with three kids that goes to work to protect them and everyone else.)
I don't see him expecting that he was giving an example.

Please, please, please make this baby normal in every way (except the tiny bit of Wraith DNA like Teyla that we already know he must have). I want to see Teyla as a working mother. The baby can just stay in the background and mostly be unseen and give Teyla something to do). Normal aging process, please.
I'm pretty sure JM siad it would be.

It was sweet that Sheppard told her the baby would always have a family on Atlantis. (Notice that he didnít say with him or the team.) But telling her that did make her sniffle about the family that he might not have anymore.
I liked that too.

Itís fumy, and not so funny, that a pregnant belly and a kicking fetus are fair game for anyone in the vicinity. Touching a pregnant belly is not an intimate act, it is a public attraction. :rolleyes: Sheppard feeling the baby kick was a touching moment, though. Nice to see him smile.
I actually liked that part.

Teyla getting on the ledge was ridiculous. (A little common sense would be nice.) I think she intended to show Sheppard that she could still be a member of his team, but once she got on the ledge the implications of the current geometry of her body finally dawned on her. Maybe now we can move beyond the discussion of fitness for missions, but I doubt it.;)
It was very in character for her imo. As I said her hormones are going nuts and so is she. She realised right away that she is not the same she was.

Rosehawk
January 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM

It is totally normal for a pregnant woman to question her job and whether she should go back to it or not after the baby is born. And when the job is high risk, the decision is even tougher. Many times women won't make the decision until the baby is a few months old.
Just because a woman is pregnant, doesn't automatically mean that everything in her life suddenly falls into place for the baby. There are real emotional issues to deal with because ones life is going to radically change.

I would have been disappointed if tptb hadn't had Teyla questioning her role on Atlantis once the baby is born.

But expects her to go back to risking her life when the baby is 2 months old.
I didn't see Sheppard as expecting her to go back to work. I saw Sheppard as trying to offer her support, it was obvious Teyla was struggling with whether it made sense for her to go back or not.

I agree. They had Janet as a working mother with Cassie, so it can be done.

That was the sensitive Sheppard that we rarely get to see. For a guy who is socially inept, he does seem to have some nice tender moments with Teyla.

Itís fumy, and not so funny, that a pregnant belly and a kicking fetus are fair game for anyone in the vicinity. Touching a pregnant belly is not an intimate act, it is a public attraction. :rolleyes: Sheppard feeling the baby kick was a touching moment, though. Nice to see him smile.
I liked this scene. Touching a pregnant belly is very personal, it is just alot of people think it is fair game and don't ask or wait to be asked. I am really glad that Sheppard did reach out and touch Teyla's belly after Teyla asked him to. For a brief moment, I was worried that he might be reluctant to.

Oh, I so cringed when she got out on the ledge. I think she may have just been checking to see if she could see Sheppard, however balance can be affected by pregnancy since the baby is growing and can throw balance off.
I was so yelling at the TV for her to get back inside and I rarely do that when watching TV shows. :cool:

Shan Bruce Lee
January 19th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I thought she was gonna try to climb at first but after she came back in I realized (IMO) she was probably just trying to see if she could see where Shep was.

Skydiver
January 19th, 2008, 08:04 PM
i think it was a turning point for both of them.

shep got to realize that she's still 'normal' and they got to clear the air. and, my gut is, that shep will be the baby's 'uncle' so to speak

as to teyla, i thikn she finally realized that she's nto as capable as she thinks she is...in the mobility department that is.

unpregnant, she could have climbed up after shep, but now she can't. not just physically unable, but she had to realize that if she fell, it wasn't just her life she was risking.

I think this is the end of 'i can still go on missions' and will be the beginning of teyla's 'nesting' phase.

Rosehawk
January 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
shep got to realize that she's still 'normal' and they got to clear the air. and, my gut is, that shep will be the baby's 'uncle' so to speak

Uncle Shep, what a concept. I think Shep would be a great 'uncle' to Teyla's kid! :cool:

Tupopoflungo
January 20th, 2008, 04:43 AM
IMO Teyla was looking to see if Sheppard had made it, I think this was evidenced by the fact that after looking up to see if he was on the tower, she looked down with a bit of fear in her eyes. Granted, this might have been because she was like 20 stories high, but I think she was more worried that he might have fallen...

blue-skyz
January 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
It is totally normal for a pregnant woman to question her job and whether she should go back to it or not after the baby is born. And when the job is high risk, the decision is even tougher. Many times women won't make the decision until the baby is a few months old.
Actually most women donít have the option of questioning whether they should go back to work. (Been there.) That is the world Sheppard comes from. (High risk? A change of jobs would certainly be considered.)

I would have been disappointed if tptb hadn't had Teyla questioning her role on Atlantis once the baby is born.
It is the dichotomy of the scene I find interesting. Teyla wanting to maintain normality by continuing to risk her life (and her babyís life) while pregnant; Sheppard refusing to let her. Teyla worried her baby might lose his mother; Sheppard accepting the possibility as a normal part of their lives.
(And, yes, I ignored the whole finding her people and the babyís father on purpose in that statement.)

I didn't see Sheppard as expecting her to go back to work. I saw Sheppard as trying to offer her support, it was obvious Teyla was struggling with whether it made sense for her to go back or not.
The line he says is:
ďItís not permanent. Youíre just going to have to ease off, then you have your baby and in a few months youíre back in action.Ē

Iíve tried to rephrase what he means in my head and the word ďexpectĒ refuses to be replaced. It doesnít mean that he would require/force her to continue on the team. She has been more than adamant about being allowed to continue on the team while pregnant. It is only reasonable to extrapolate that to her wanting to get back to the team as soon as possible after the birth.

I think it has been obvious since the moment he found out about the pregnancy, that he has her best interests at heart. He wouldnít be Sheppard, if he didnít. He would support any decision she made, the same way he supported Rononís decision to leave, albeit with fewer reservations ;).

That was the sensitive Sheppard that we rarely get to see. For a guy who is socially inept, he does seem to have some nice tender moments with Teyla.
He does have another side we rarely see. There is more to Sheppard than we know, or will ever know directly. ;)

Oh, I so cringed when she got out on the ledge. I think she may have just been checking to see if she could see Sheppard, however balance can be affected by pregnancy since the baby is growing and can throw balance off.
There had been too much time between when he climbed out the window and when she did. The self destruct alarm had already been turned off. She didnít need to climb all the way out to look down or up. IMO, she intended to climb up to help, but realized that couldnít anymore.

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I thought that he expected her to, but only because he expected her to want to, after her insistence earlier on being part of missions. Does that make sense? :o

Thank you! After so many comments in places about him being a horrible flirt and always after the women, it's nice to find someone who also feels that he's not this horrible Lothario! I've always thought he hasn't been all that successful with the ladies. "I never see this coming", "I do remember you wouldn't even date me!", his horrified backpedalling when his comment when introduced to the Genii was taken badly, and his embarrassment at the 'Athosian head touch' in Rising are all examples. I really like the way Teyla manages to bring him out of himself safely. The relationship between them is 'comfortable', and even better, allows both shippers and non-shippers to have a field day in their own minds!;)

I liked this scene. Touching a pregnant belly is very personal, it is just alot of people think it is fair game and don't ask or wait to be asked. I am really glad that Sheppard did reach out and touch Teyla's belly after Teyla asked him to. For a brief moment, I was worried that he might be reluctant to..
In rewatching, it looks as if Teyla actually had to take his hand and place it on her - which is even better, since that made it entirely her choice. And his expression was perfect.

as to teyla, i thikn she finally realized that she's nto as capable as she thinks she is...in the mobility department that is.
ROFL! Her arms definitely aren't as long as they used to be! :cool:

blue-skyz
January 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you! After so many comments in places about him being a horrible flirt and always after the women, it's nice to find someone who also feels that he's not this horrible Lothario! I've always thought he hasn't been all that successful with the ladies. "I never see this coming", "I do remember you wouldn't even date me!", his horrified backpedalling when his comment when introduced to the Genii was taken badly, and his embarrassment at the 'Athosian head touch' in Rising are all examples. I really like the way Teyla manages to bring him out of himself safely.
Iím always surprised, although I shouldnít be anymore, when someone describes Sheppard as ďalways Kirking around.Ē

I used to immediately ask for examples of his ďKirking.Ē
Funny thing is, I never once got an answer to that question.
Why donít people spend 10 sec thinking about a concept before they blindly repeat it?

The fact is, it canít be substantiated. If you count every time in 73 episodes that Sheppard has so much as looked at a woman that he does not work with regularly, you donít come even close to ďalways.Ē IIRC there are people that have actually made counts similar to this, but I donít have the references. The easiest one is the kiss count: 4 times as himself in 73 episodes.

The Kirk comment was a McKay joke and it started as a reference to Sheppardís concern for his jumper not a woman. The joke is and continues to be funny to me, the derogatory comments are not.

I think Sheppard has always shown concern for the people around him and extra concern for the women. And now he is showing even more concern for his pregnant friend. Very credible and in character. He is, after all, an officer and a gentleman.:)

Sweetsong
January 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
My question is, where did she get the maternity wear? That shirt did not look Athosian, so am assuming Earth ordered her some Maternity clothes or perhaps other pregnant people on base lent them to her.

I was most taken aback by what she was wearing, thought I don't know what I expected her to wear once she reached this stage of the pregnancy, Vala wore long dresses 'cause she was over in the Ori galaxy, though her SG uniform when she took over Daniel seemed to work too.

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Iím always surprised, although I shouldnít be anymore, when someone describes Sheppard as ďalways Kirking around.Ē

Yeah. Me too. One other comment (somewhere, can't remember where) was that it was 'disgusting; he's too old to be flirting'. I almost choked on that one. If I could find it again, I'd ask the poster at what age flirting should be banned. 20? 25? 30? :S

The Kirk comment was a McKay joke and it started as a reference to Sheppardís concern for his jumper not a woman. The joke is and continues to be funny to me, the derogatory comments are not.

Agreed wholeheartedly. And I LMAO at the 'My ship?' comment. Along with John's 'Remember where we parked'. Weren't both comments in the same episode? Defiant One?

I think Sheppard has always shown concern for the people around him and extra concern for the women. And now he is showing even more concern for his pregnant friend. Very credible and in character. He is, after all, an officer and a gentleman.:)

Agreed. I love the way he's being all 'goofus' with her, as if she'll shatter into a million pieces if she so much as breaks a fingernail.

Also, I usually prefer 'no ship' on a show itself, just ambiguity - it leaves things wide open for the fanfic ;). And when I 'ship' in my mind, it's usually slashy-type stuff (Jack/Daniel, anyone? RAWR). Ahem. Anyway, it's fairly unusual for me to het on a S/F show - but this time, I'll have to say I like John/Teyla. I just like the way they act with each other. But in any case, I hope TPTB don't actually hard-line any shipping. Just IMO.

Skydiver
January 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
My question is, where did she get the maternity wear? That shirt did not look Athosian, so am assuming Earth ordered her some Maternity clothes or perhaps other pregnant people on base lent them to her.

I was most taken aback by what she was wearing, thought I don't know what I expected her to wear once she reached this stage of the pregnancy, Vala wore long dresses 'cause she was over in the Ori galaxy, though her SG uniform when she took over Daniel seemed to work too.
given that they're not cut off from earth my presumption is that they could have gotten her some from there. or perhaps they traded with a group of aliens to get her some, or maybe to purchase some cloth and she made her own

i doubt it'll be mentionede but where there's a will, there's a way...or a maternity top :)

Rosehawk
January 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Actually most women donít have the option of questioning whether they should go back to work. (Been there.) That is the world Sheppard comes from. (High risk? A change of jobs would certainly be considered.)
I think it is normal for a woman to question whether or not she should go back to work or at the least go back to the job she was doing. Even more so in jobs that are considered high risk or high stress. Doesn't mean that she has the option to make the choice she wants, just that there are options that get considered.

I've been there too and while I had to go back to work, I have seen alot of women choose not to go back to work. Though I have seen many women choose to go into daycare while they kids were young which would be considered a change of jobs. :P

It is the dichotomy of the scene I find interesting. Teyla wanting to maintain normality by continuing to risk her life (and her babyís life) while pregnant; Sheppard refusing to let her. Teyla worried her baby might lose his mother; Sheppard accepting the possibility as a normal part of their lives.
(And, yes, I ignored the whole finding her people and the babyís father on purpose in that statement.)
I found the scene quite interesting as well and would have be so disappointed if this scene (or similar one) hadn't found it's way into the show before Teyla's baby was born. The decisions that Teyla is going to have to make are not going to be easy for her. I did find it interesting that Teyla was worried that the baby could lose it's mother, when she has always lived under the threat of the Wraith which I am sure has made more than one child parentless.

The line he says is:
ďItís not permanent. Youíre just going to have to ease off, then you have your baby and in a few months youíre back in action.Ē

Iíve tried to rephrase what he means in my head and the word ďexpectĒ refuses to be replaced. It doesnít mean that he would require/force her to continue on the team. She has been more than adamant about being allowed to continue on the team while pregnant. It is only reasonable to extrapolate that to her wanting to get back to the team as soon as possible after the birth.

I thought that he expected her to, but only because he expected her to want to, after her insistence earlier on being part of missions. Does that make sense?
I will need to rewatch the episode again. I have to wait for it to come out on iTunes since I don't have it recorded.
When I first read 'expects' it seemed more like a demand/requirement, but thinking more about it, it is just reasonable that he would assume she would want to come back to the team, so in that sense, he would be expecting her to come back. :)

I think it has been obvious since the moment he found out about the pregnancy, that he has her best interests at heart. He wouldnít be Sheppard, if he didnít. He would support any decision she made, the same way he supported Rononís decision to leave, albeit with fewer reservations ;).
Sheppard is great that way. The team is his family and he supports them anyway he can.

There had been too much time between when he climbed out the window and when she did. The self destruct alarm had already been turned off. She didnít need to climb all the way out to look down or up. IMO, she intended to climb up to help, but realized that couldnít anymore.
Yeah, my first instinct was that she wanted to try to follow Sheppard by climbing as well. And when she couldn't do that she tried looking for him.
I think given her background, she almost had to try something to see if she could do it. I am glad she had enough common sense to get back in, though she went a bit too far out on that ledge for my comfort zone.

Thank you! After so many comments in places about him being a horrible flirt and always after the women, it's nice to find someone who also feels that he's not this horrible Lothario! I've always thought he hasn't been all that successful with the ladies. "I never see this coming", "I do remember you wouldn't even date me!", his horrified backpedalling when his comment when introduced to the Genii was taken badly, and his embarrassment at the 'Athosian head touch' in Rising are all examples. I really like the way Teyla manages to bring him out of himself safely. The relationship between them is 'comfortable', and even better, allows both shippers and non-shippers to have a field day in their own minds!

Yeah, I've never liked the term kirking and never thought it applied to Sheppard. I really like how Teyla is managing to draw the sensitive side for Sheppard out. I hope we see more of this as her pregnancy progresses.

In rewatching, it looks as if Teyla actually had to take his hand and place it on her - which is even better, since that made it entirely her choice. And his expression was perfect.
I really liked how this was done. Her reaching out was giving him permission to share her joy, I thought at first they would make Sheppard skimpish with this but they didn't. I loved his reaction, it was perfect.

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
i think it was a turning point for both of them.

And it was neat how he again didn't want to discuss it, but it turned out slightly differently than what he was nervous about.

unpregnant, she could have climbed up after shep, but now she can't. not just physically unable, but she had to realize that if she fell, it wasn't just her life she was risking.

Yeah, Teyla seems to be the kind of person who won't take other's opinions on what she's capable of doing - she will try whatever it is herself, just to be sure. Now, that's good in lots of ways, but it can give those around her cardiac arrests if she takes it too far :).

I think this is the end of 'i can still go on missions' and will be the beginning of teyla's 'nesting' phase.

Agreed. I just hope, as a viewer who really likes Teyla, that she doesn't need too long (actress or character) before she's up to being 'out there' again.

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Though I have seen many women choose to go into daycare while they kids were young which would be considered a change of jobs. :P
That's quite a good idea, really.

I found the scene quite interesting as well and would have be so disappointed if this scene (or similar one) hadn't found it's way into the show before Teyla's baby was born. The decisions that Teyla is going to have to make are not going to be easy for her. I did find it interesting that Teyla was worried that the baby could lose it's mother, when she has always lived under the threat of the Wraith which I am sure has made more than one child parentless.
I also am glad they addressed this problem. I think she might not have been so nervous about it if her people hadn't been taken away. As far as she knew, there was no one left. I think it did help a lot when John told her there would always be family at Atlantis.

Yeah, my first instinct was that she wanted to try to follow Sheppard by climbing as well. And when she couldn't do that she tried looking for him.
I think given her background, she almost had to try something to see if she could do it. I am glad she had enough common sense to get back in, though she went a bit too far out on that ledge for my comfort zone.
DEFINITELY!

Yeah, I've never liked the term kirking and never thought it applied to Sheppard.
I think maybe a vocal few who hate even a hint of personal relationships started it, and the 'sheeple' just fell into line. ;)

I really liked how this was done. Her reaching out was giving him permission to share her joy, I thought at first they would make Sheppard skimpish with this but they didn't. I loved his reaction, it was perfect.
Agreed. He looked nervous, but pleased she would allow it, and then quite smitten when he felt the child. So glad they didn't have him either squicked or leering!

blue-skyz
January 20th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah. Me too. One other comment (somewhere, can't remember where) was that it was 'disgusting; he's too old to be flirting'. I almost choked on that one. If I could find it again, I'd ask the poster at what age flirting should be banned. 20? 25? 30? :S
JF is 41 now? Yep, sure is old. :S Way too old to flirt. :D I wonder at what age one becomes too decrepit for the harder stuff. ;) *snicker* OK laughing so hard it is making it difficult to type.

I do wish he would lose the stubble occasionally so we could see more of the pretty face. :o;):D

Agreed wholeheartedly. And I LMAO at the 'My ship?' comment. Along with John's 'Remember where we parked'. Weren't both comments in the same episode? Defiant One?
The Defiant One.
SHEPPARD (over radio): McKay.
McKAY (into radio): Still here.
SHEPPARD: The son of a ***** beat me to it. He's fast.
McKAY: I think you should get back here.
SHEPPARD: Negative.
McKAY: There's no point in you being out there.
SHEPPARD: He's aboard my ship.
McKAY: What are you, Captain Kirk? What good's it going to do him?
SHEPPARD: I don't know. Maybe he can hotwire the damn thing -- I don't want to take a chance.

Agreed. I love the way he's being all 'goofus' with her, as if she'll shatter into a million pieces if she so much as breaks a fingernail.
So sweet to see the atypical Sheppard exhibit this typical male reaction.

Also, I usually prefer 'no ship' on a show itself, just ambiguity - it leaves things wide open for the fanfic ;). And when I 'ship' in my mind, it's usually slashy-type stuff (Jack/Daniel, anyone? RAWR). Ahem. Anyway, it's fairly unusual for me to het on a S/F show - but this time, I'll have to say I like John/Teyla. I just like the way they act with each other. But in any case, I hope TPTB don't actually hard-line any shipping. Just IMO.
I prefer NO ship. By the time I started watching SG1, the Sam/Jack thing was well established, so I accept that. I do like UST in a lot of TV shows.

In Atlantis Iíve never been able to see Sheppard with any of the regular characters. Never could picture him with Weir. Still canít picture him with Teyla. I want them to be the best of friends and team mates, but I am sooooo glad she is pregnant with someone-she-cares-aboutís child. The pregnancy has given Sheppard and Teyla a nice safe point to interact on. Nice to see some real Sheppard come through. I think TPTB have done a good job showing them together. I donít see any ship at all, just friends and leader-follower hassling. I realize that itís open to interpretation and us humans will read in to a situation what we want to see there. So, in this instance, everyone can be happy.

Yeah, right. This is fandom. More likely no one will be happy. :S

Raven56
January 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
JF is 41 now? Yep, sure is old. :S Way too old to flirt. :D I wonder at what age one becomes too decrepit for the harder stuff. ;) *snicker* OK laughing so hard it is making it difficult to type.

You and me both! And I'll take the fifth on that question.....

Truly, I almost went into shock when I found out how old JF is. I thought he was early thirties, so really, that's how old I still see John being.

I do wish he would lose the stubble occasionally so we could see more of the pretty face. :o;):D

YES, YES, YES! I've never been a fan of the stubblies. So 'weekend-kick-back-on-the-couch'. Besides - ever gotten close to that kind of whisker? Yeouch! Scrape city! So, sorry, not sexy to me. Give me smooth skin and a killer smile. Sigh. :faint:

SHEPPARD: He's aboard my ship.
McKAY: What are you, Captain Kirk? What good's it going to do him?

That's the one. :)

So sweet to see the atypical Sheppard exhibit this typical male reaction.
Yep.

I prefer NO ship. By the time I started watching SG1, the Sam/Jack thing was well established, so I accept that. I do like UST in a lot of TV shows.
Definitely. JF said in an interview that most fans think they want ship, but what they really want is the tension. And I agree wholeheartedly. How many shows have been killed by the characters actually getting together? Too many to count. The number of times it works is miniscule in comparison to the number of times it bombs.

In Atlantis Iíve never been able to see Sheppard with any of the regular characters. Never could picture him with Weir. Still canít picture him with Teyla. I want them to be the best of friends and team mates, but I am sooooo glad she is pregnant with someone-she-cares-aboutís child. The pregnancy has given Sheppard and Teyla a nice safe point to interact on. Nice to see some real Sheppard come through.
Works for me! You're right about Weir IMHO. They just didn't really click to me as more than friends, and the few times she flirted I sort of gulped. John seemed oblivious, and that worked for me, too.

I think TPTB have done a good job showing them together. I donít see any ship at all, just friends and leader-follower hassling. I realize that itís open to interpretation and us humans will read in to a situation what we want to see there. So, in this instance, everyone can be happy.
That's what's been great about what's been shown, IMO. Everyone sees what they want, and everyone can be happy. ::reads line below:: Oh, yeah. Sigh.

Yeah, right. This is fandom. More likely no one will be happy. :S

Rosehawk
January 20th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I also am glad they addressed this problem. I think she might not have been so nervous about it if her people hadn't been taken away. As far as she knew, there was no one left. I think it did help a lot when John told her there would always be family at Atlantis.
I think Teyla needed to hear that someone(s) would be there for her child incase something did happen to her. I know as a parent I would want to know that. Teyla really hasn't had alot of exposure to how Earth treats their own children in these kind of situations so she must be nervous about that as well. She knows the Athosians would help raise an orphaned child but she really doesn't know if Earth customs would do the same.

I think maybe a vocal few who hate even a hint of personal relationships started it, and the 'sheeple' just fell into line. ;)
There are always those who have problems with personal friendships between male and female characters which isn't really any different than a male and male or female and female characters, it's just the chemistry is different and there may be a few more awkward moments to work through. I am begining to like where they are taking John and Teyla's friendship. I liked it in Rising and then it seemed to be inconsistent for awhile. This baby is a nice friendship bonding for both characters.

JF is 41 now? Yep, sure is old. Way too old to flirt. I wonder at what age one becomes too decrepit for the harder stuff. *snicker* OK laughing so hard it is making it difficult to type.
One is never to old to flirt. :P As to the other, I guess we will all find out someday! :P :P

I do wish he would lose the stubble occasionally so we could see more of the pretty face.

YES, YES, YES! I've never been a fan of the stubblies. So 'weekend-kick-back-on-the-couch'. Besides - ever gotten close to that kind of whisker? Yeouch! Scrape city! So, sorry, not sexy to me. Give me smooth skin and a killer smile. Sigh. :faint:

LOL. I must be in the minority. I kind of like the stubble look! I think it looks sexy. Wouldn't want to kiss a stubbling face though :D

blue-skyz
January 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I think it is normal for a woman to question whether or not she should go back to work or at the least go back to the job she was doing. Even more so in jobs that are considered high risk or high stress. Doesn't mean that she has the option to make the choice she wants, just that there are options that get considered.
I've been there too and while I had to go back to work, I have seen alot of women choose not to go back to work. Though I have seen many women choose to go into daycare while they kids were young which would be considered a change of jobs.
Having a baby changes everything. No truer words ever appeared in a TV commercial. :P
A pregnant woman reevaluates everything in her life.
Some women have husbands with well enough paying jobs that they are free to stay home with a new baby if they so choose. Most women, now, donít have that option. Most women that work do not have the option of switching to a job in day care; it wonít pay the bills.

Iím sure Teyla does have the option of staying in Atlantis even if she chooses not to be on a gate team. They would find something for her to do. Maybe she could run the day care. ;):P
She, hopefully, will also have the option of going home to her people and her babyís father.
Iím sure she could also go to live with some of the friends she and her father have made over the years.
Women in basically agrarian societies, by definition, are likely to be home with their children.

I hope the normality of the subject matter concerning the baby signifies that this is going to be a truly normal baby. I hope it doesnít grow up overnight and become the answer to life, the universe and everything. :P

More seriously, it is interesting to wonder how you would feel about a lot of things in life if you lived under constant threat of the Wraith. Most of the Pegasus people have no defenses at all against them. Just run and hide. The Wraith canít take them all or they will have no breeding stock.

I really like how Teyla is managing to draw the sensitive side for Sheppard out. I hope we see more of this as her pregnancy progresses.
I think we are seeing some of the real Sheppard come out as he has to deal with normal life stuff. I thought it was sweet how he acted with McKay when he realized that he was serious about marriage.

I am getting kind of tired of the pregnancy issues. Sheppardís reactions were interesting, but, I hope they have worked their way through them and can move on. Not likely to be any in the next two episodes, anyway.

Rosehawk
January 20th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Iím sure Teyla does have the option of staying in Atlantis even if she chooses not to be on a gate team. They would find something for her to do. Maybe she could run the day care. ;):P
She, hopefully, will also have the option of going home to her people and her babyís father.
Iím sure she could also go to live with some of the friends she and her father have made over the years.
Women in basically agrarian societies, by definition, are likely to be home with their children.
I agree, though somehow, I don't see Teyla as being a stay home type mom!

I hope the normality of the subject matter concerning the baby signifies that this is going to be a truly normal baby. I hope it doesnít grow up overnight and become the answer to life, the universe and everything. :P
I agree. TPTB have been pretty good up to this point about it, lets hope they don't blow it.

More seriously, it is interesting to wonder how you would feel about a lot of things in life if you lived under constant threat of the Wraith. Most of the Pegasus people have no defenses at all against them. Just run and hide. The Wraith canít take them all or they will have no breeding stock.
That could be an detail about the Wraith that we could learn about sometime down the road on how they do decide who to leave behind. So far we see them taking virtually everyone in the worlds they decide to cull. Those that have survived have hidden really well.

I think we are seeing some of the real Sheppard come out as he has to deal with normal life stuff. I thought it was sweet how he acted with McKay when he realized that he was serious about marriage.
Yeah, Sheppard had alot of really nice sensitive moments in this episode. I liked how he was so concerned about McKay freakin out. I think Sheppard is one of the few people who can calm McKay down.

I am getting kind of tired of the pregnancy issues. Sheppardís reactions were interesting, but, I hope they have worked their way through them and can move on. Not likely to be any in the next two episodes, anyway.
I think they have brought up most of the main issues. Next will most likely start dealing with the baby's father as those episodes are shown. I wonder if the baby is going to be born by the end of the season, or if Teyla's pregnancy will continue into S5.

blue-skyz
January 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
Ouch is right. Definitely feels like sandpaper. Course, I might give some consideration to whose face the stubble is on. Hmmmm :o

JF does have a killer smile. *sighs too* Think Iíll skip the faint. :P

LOL. I must be in the minority. I kind of like the stubble look! I think it looks sexy. Wouldn't want to kiss a stubbling face though :D
The stubble is sexy to me up to a point.
I just want to see the face underneath from time to time.

blue-skyz
January 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
[
I agree, though somehow, I don't see Teyla as being a stay home type mom!
No, not in the context of the show. But I could see the Teyla character deciding to live with her people again. Presuming they are found alive, she might well want to be with them after thinking they were lost. She will have a new baby and, hopefully, the father of the baby will still be alive. Both reasons to return the arms of her people/clan/tribe/extended family.

I think it would be interesting to see her Athosian marriage/bonding ceremony and how they celebrate a new baby (briefly for both). I hope they donít take the easy way out and kill off Kanan.

That could be an detail about the Wraith that we could learn about sometime down the road on how they do decide who to leave behind. So far we see them taking virtually everyone in the worlds they decide to cull. Those that have survived have hidden really well.
The Wraith weíve seen do not act consistently given their intelligence. I would really like to see some that take proactive measures to ensure a constant food supply, i.e. raise humans on farm worlds.

Yeah, Sheppard had alot of really nice sensitive moments in this episode. I liked how he was so concerned about McKay freakin out. I think Sheppard is one of the few people who can calm McKay down.
I love the Sheppard and McKay friendship. They are great together. I think Sheppard is the perfect compliment to McKay. I canít wait for Harmony.

I think they have brought up most of the main issues. Next will most likely start dealing with the baby's father as those episodes are shown. I wonder if the baby is going to be born by the end of the season, or if Teyla's pregnancy will continue into S5.
Speculation on the rest of the season.
I think she is supposed to give birth next season. I guess the rest of this season will be about looking for her people, although, I did think we were going to see Kanan. Maybe she finds them, then Michael beams her away from them? Anyway, I think she is captured at some point, because Sheppard is looking for her?

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Ouch is right. Definitely feels like sandpaper. Course, I might give some consideration to whose face the stubble is on. Hmmmm :o
You go! :lol:

JF does have a killer smile. *sighs too* Think Iíll skip the faint. :P
Sneaky. Fainting would be rather foolish, wouldn't it? Unless he were close enough to do some strategic catching?

The stubble is sexy to me up to a point.
I just want to see the face underneath from time to time.
Exactly!

To get back on thread (my conversations derail frequently, too :)), I thought Teyla's expression of long-suffering-female was perfect when John was yammering about movies and pregnant women and lockdowns. That was a very funny bit.

Not just for the dialogue, but for the way they played the scene off each other. I do really like the dynamics between both the characters and the actors.

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
I hope they donít take the easy way out and kill off Kanan.
Speculation
I'm wondering if the return of her people will somehow be connected to the return of Carson?

The Wraith weíve seen do not act consistently given their intelligence. I would really like to see some that take proactive measures to ensure a constant food supply, i.e. raise humans on farm worlds.
And what level of intelligence those 'farmed' people would have. What a moral dilemma - what to do with thousands of mindless humans?

I love the Sheppard and McKay friendship. They are great together. I think Sheppard is the perfect compliment to McKay. I canít wait for Harmony.
Agreed. Though I am a bit nervous - not being a fan of kid-centric stories. Though I must admit they handled hide-and-seek well. Crosses fingers.

blue-skyz
January 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Speculation
I'm wondering if the return of her people will somehow be connected to the return of Carson?
More speculation.
It has to be around the same time, since weíre running out of episodes. She and Lorne find Carson. I wonder if they also find her people, then, while everyone is happy, Michael takes her and gets away. I wonder if it is because she is pregnant or just because he knows her.

And what level of intelligence those 'farmed' people would have. What a moral dilemma - what to do with thousands of mindless humans?
I donít think they would have to be mindless, hopeless and downtrodden might do it.
The Wraith seem to be able to control people rather well. They control people who control other people. The Wraith would have to keep them on a planet or in some location and make sure they have the level of technology necessary for a high birth and survival rate but not enough to fight them or escape. I would love to see something like that done on the show.

Agreed. Though I am a bit nervous - not being a fan of kid-centric stories. Though I must admit they handled hide-and-seek well. Crosses fingers.
I donít usually like kids in stories either (and I donít like sitcoms), but I think Harmony will be good. I am sure I will find it repeatable for the Sheppard and McKay banter/snark. :P

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 09:39 AM
I donít think they would have to be mindless, hopeless and downtrodden might do it.
The Wraith seem to be able to control people rather well. They control people who control other people. The Wraith would have to keep them on a planet or in some location and make sure they have the level of technology necessary for a high birth and survival rate but not enough to fight them or escape. I would love to see something like that done on the show.
Seems that's what they already have - but then perhaps the birth rate isn't what they might like :) That's an interesting idea. I like.

I donít usually like kids in stories either (and I donít like sitcoms), but I think Harmony will be good. I am sure I will find it repeatable for the Sheppard and McKay banter/snark. :P
Oh, yes. To all three - keep the kids out :), sitcoms are NOT my cup of tea, and I'll watch and watch and watch any episode that has SK b/s. Oops. maybe I ought to reverse that: SK s/b. LOL not sure that doesn't look even worse.....

blue-skyz
January 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
I thought Teyla's expression of long-suffering-female was perfect when John was yammering about movies and pregnant women and lockdowns. That was a very funny bit.
Not just for the dialogue, but for the way they played the scene off each other. I do really like the dynamics between both the characters and the actors.
I loved the Ďpregnant woman always goes into laborí routine too. Thatís been done soooo many times that it just has to pop into his mind. (I still usually find it exciting, though :o) Of course Teyla isnít supposed to be that far along.

Everything Sheppard does here is just so atypically, typical. ;) They have been working together for three and a half years so they know each other well, yet add a personal element to it and Sheppard goes all flustered. I love the way he hugs. Makes me wonder about his parents. Of course he is military. Probably a rule that you donít hug your subordinates. The hug Weir gave him in Siege always makes me laugh. Bet that was the first time one of his superiors ever hugged him. :P

I do wonder where Teyla gives birth. It almost has to be at a really inconvenient moment. They just couldnít pass up the opportunity. Picture the two military guys and the scientist dealing with that one. Been done to death, but I would still like to see them go through it. My pick would be Ronon to have the coolest head. :P:D Can you imagine Teylaís expressions watching their reactions. Okay, just too long to wait for that to be laughing this hard. ;)

Ruffles
January 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I thought that he expected her to, but only because he expected her to want to, after her insistence earlier on being part of missions. Does that make sense? :o

That's what I thought too. I like that she broached the subject. I thought he was just assuring her that things would return to normal one day if she wants.

Thank you! After so many comments in places about him being a horrible flirt and always after the women, it's nice to find someone who also feels that he's not this horrible Lothario! I've always thought he hasn't been all that successful with the ladies. "I never see this coming", "I do remember you wouldn't even date me!", his horrified backpedalling when his comment when introduced to the Genii was taken badly, and his embarrassment at the 'Athosian head touch' in Rising are all examples. I really like the way Teyla manages to bring him out of himself safely. The relationship between them is 'comfortable', and even better, allows both shippers and non-shippers to have a field day in their own minds!;)

So good to find someone else that sees him that way. I think he's completely gawky around girls (watch his expression when he asks for Larrin's "phone number" in BAMSR).

Agreed.

ROFL! Her arms definitely aren't as long as they used to be! :cool:

My first reaction to seeing her on that ledge was similar to others - what the hell are you thinking? I didn't consider she might be checking to see if John made it. Thanks for the thought.

I used to immediately ask for examples of his ďKirking.Ē
Funny thing is, I never once got an answer to that question.
Why donít people spend 10 sec thinking about a concept before they blindly repeat it?

The fact is, it canít be substantiated. If you count every time in 73 episodes that Sheppard has so much as looked at a woman that he does not work with regularly, you donít come even close to ďalways.Ē IIRC there are people that have actually made counts similar to this, but I donít have the references. The easiest one is the kiss count: 4 times as himself in 73 episodes.

You know that I agree with you on this. I've asked for substantiation before as well and never gotten it. Read a comment on another thread about him not keeping his pants on and decided to not question what ep that was in. He's kissed 4 girls in 4 years (and 3 of those were initiated by the girl) - this excludes being under alien influence when he kissed Teyla and Weir. He does flirt on occasion with beautiful single women. He's a handsome single man. What's the problem?

Sometimes I wonder if those that accuse him of kirking actually understand that term. ;)

Anyway, back on topic - I liked Shep's reference to his college friend, the cop. Many single moms risk their lives everyday. It's a nice setup to explain why she'll stay on the team. I thought it was entirely in character for her to question if she should take the risk, and I thought his answer was perfect. She told Ronon that the reason she stayed on Atlantis (and left her people) was that the Lantians were the best hope in defeating that Wraith. I would think in a way she would feel more strongly than ever about continuing that fight. She would want her child to grow up without living under that threat.

Teal'c spent years as a single dad fighting for freedom. No reason Teyla can't.

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 10:28 AM
I loved the Ďpregnant woman always goes into laborí routine too. Thatís been done soooo many times that it just has to pop into his mind. (I still usually find it exciting, though :o)
Me too. Of course it has to be the most clueless male around who's stuck with the birthing.....

Everything Sheppard does here is just so atypically, typical. ;) They have been working together for three and a half years so they know each other well, yet add a personal element to it and Sheppard goes all flustered. I love the way he hugs.
Looks as if he's afraid he's going to be blasted by lightning, or something equally horrific. :D

Makes me wonder about his parents. Of course he is military.
Definitely not touchy-feely, in any case. I sympathize - mine were the same way. Stiff upper lip types.

Probably a rule that you donít hug your subordinates. The hug Weir gave him in Siege always makes me laugh. Bet that was the first time one of his superiors ever hugged him. :P
Yeah. Hugging subordinates would get one in a LOT of trouble :( And hugging superiors must be completely out of his ken, too - but I wonder if he's ever had anything other than a gung-ho male as a superior?

I do wonder where Teyla gives birth. It almost has to be at a really inconvenient moment. They just couldnít pass up the opportunity. Picture the two military guys and the scientist dealing with that one. Been done to death, but I would still like to see them go through it. My pick would be Ronon to have the coolest head. :P:D Can you imagine Teylaís expressions watching their reactions. Okay, just too long to wait for that to be laughing this hard. ;)

Oh, lord - I can see her now. "What is the matter with you people? It's just a baby - been done millions of times before. GET OVER HERE AND HELP!" :lol:

Possible spoiler
On JM's blog, he seems to have a poem about the season, sort of a code. One of the paragraphs mentions something about a birth at the wrong time, so I hope it does happen.

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
So good to find someone else that sees him that way. I think he's completely gawky around girls (watch his expression when he asks for Larrin's "phone number" in BAMSR).
That was priceless. He was doing everything short of scuffing his feet in 'abashment'. Is that a word? :)

You know that I agree with you on this. I've asked for substantiation before as well and never gotten it. Read a comment on another thread about him not keeping his pants on and decided to not question what ep that was in.
You saw that too? I just sighed, shook my head, and figured it had to be a girl about 14 years old who's been lectured about chastity one too many times. And has been told there's nodifference between a kiss and full-on sex :S

He's kissed 4 girls in 4 years (and 3 of those were initiated by the girl) - this excludes being under alien influence when he kissed Teyla and Weir. He does flirt on occasion with beautiful single women. He's a handsome single man. What's the problem?
None to me. But then I'm adult and don't have pubescent kids to stress over. ;)

Sometimes I wonder if those that accuse him of kirking actually understand that term. ;)
I don't think they do. And besides, in his heyday, Kirk was quite handsome, and if I'd been the 'alien princess' I think I'd've had some fun, too. Hmmm, kinda takes the insult out of that pejorative, doesn't it? They certainly didn't back off in horror back then, did they? :cool:

Anyway, back on topic - I liked Shep's reference to his college friend, the cop. Many single moms risk their lives everyday. It's a nice setup to explain why she'll stay on the team.
Yes. The timing and attitude showed Teyla without making it personal that Sheppard had no problem with working mothers, even out on the front lines. That he valued her input to the team, but her level of activity would be her own choice. Nice.

You could open a can of worms with traditionalists on that one..... ;)

blue-skyz
January 21st, 2008, 11:15 AM
I loved the Ďphone numberí joke. I love Sheppardís expressions when Larrin is around or even brought up. Gawky, flustered, afraid, off balance. JF is so good at it. Larrin may be over-the-top but I love her effect on Sheppard. I think she has a lot of possibilities.

You know that I agree with you on this. I've asked for substantiation before as well and never gotten it. Read a comment on another thread about him not keeping his pants on and decided to not question what ep that was in. He's kissed 4 girls in 4 years (and 3 of those were initiated by the girl) - this excludes being under alien influence when he kissed Teyla and Weir. He does flirt on occasion with beautiful single women. He's a handsome single man. What's the problem?
I donít get it. Half the TV shows on now seem to have scenes in bed, but there is uproar every time Sheppard looks at a woman. Iím stunned every time it comes up. I donít ever want to see him interested in a regular character, but I have nothing against him temporarily smitten by a guest star. (It gives me a chance to live vicariously. :o) Like you say he's a handsome single man. Isnít noticing pretty women part of the definition?

Anyway, back on topic - I liked Shep's reference to his college friend, the cop. Many single moms risk their lives everyday. It's a nice setup to explain why she'll stay on the team. I thought it was entirely in character for her to question if she should take the risk, and I thought his answer was perfect. She told Ronon that the reason she stayed on Atlantis (and left her people) was that the Lantians were the best hope in defeating that Wraith. I would think in a way she would feel more strongly than ever about continuing that fight. She would want her child to grow up without living under that threat.
I liked the cop reference too. It grounds the story in the here and now. Does make me wonder when the last time was that talked to her and how and why they stayed in touch over the years. A friend from college? How many others does he have? Which college?

Of course, she will stay with the team, because she can protect her child best there.
I hope she does it as a mother (and not a single one) with a live, healthy, normal baby. I hope she leaves the kid with his dad, who has become leader of the Athosians, and continues her fight against the Wraith because her reasons are still valid. (Or all the remaining Athosians come back to Atlantis to live --not my favorite idea, they got pretty boring).

Seems that's what they already have - but then perhaps the birth rate isn't what they might like :) That's an interesting idea. I like.
The Wraith seem to keep humans at a rather primitive level. (Much cheaper to depict.) But I think they would want to have them well fed and well housed with a fairly high level of medical care. Optimize their breeding potential. Similar to raising beef.

Oh, yes. To all three - keep the kids out :), sitcoms are NOT my cup of tea, and I'll watch and watch and watch any episode that has SK b/s. Oops. maybe I ought to reverse that: SK s/b. LOL not sure that doesn't look even worse.....
:lol:

Ruffles
January 21st, 2008, 11:30 AM
That was priceless. He was doing everything short of scuffing his feet in 'abashment'. Is that a word? :)

Abashment is indeed a word, and quite appropriate for the occasion.

You saw that too? I just sighed, shook my head, and figured it had to be a girl about 14 years old who's been lectured about chastity one too many times. And has been told there's nodifference between a kiss and full-on sex :S

*giggles* And I figured it was from someone who despairs of him treating women like sex objects. The only problem with that theory is - he doesn't. He's never treated Teyla or Elizabeth or Sam in any way other than as an equal. A happy moment for me in BAMSR was when he told Teyla to shake off the stunning and move on. He treated her like a warrior not like a girl.

None to me. But then I'm adult and don't have pubescent kids to stress over. ;)

Me either. However most TV commercials are racier than the few times we've seen him flirt - Inferno comes to mind. Harmless flirting with a single girl (and mostly to irritate Rodney since he seemed fairly infatuated with her).

I don't think they do. And besides, in his heyday, Kirk was quite handsome, and if I'd been the 'alien princess' I think I'd've had some fun, too. Hmmm, kinda takes the insult out of that pejorative, doesn't it? They certainly didn't back off in horror back then, did they? :cool:

Right again. For a true kirk, check out Dylan Hunt on Andromeda.

Yes. The timing and attitude showed Teyla without making it personal that Sheppard had no problem with working mothers, even out on the front lines. That he valued her input to the team, but her level of activity would be her own choice. Nice.

I think he respects Teyla - her spirit, her leadership, her abilities, her wisdom. He knows she is an invaluable member of his team, and he doesn't want to lose that.

You could open a can of worms with traditionalists on that one..... ;)

Funny thing is - I am one of those traditionalists. :)

I would like to see Teyla's baby live and grow on Atlantis. I'm perfectly fine with Kanan (and the rest of the Athosians) being found, but I would rather see him live on Atlantis and care for the child while she goes on missions than have the baby shuttled off to the next New Athos to never be heard from again.

The same way that I know Chuck is at his station and Keller is in the infirmary when the team is off world is the way I would know the baby is in the nursery being cared for. He doesn't have to be shown or even referenced in every ep. I would just prefer him to be a regular baby and to see her (and the guys on the team) deal with that - colic, late night feedings, teething. Imagine McKay's disgust when he reaches for his favorite scanner to find baby slobber all over it. Hee!

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM
And I figured it was from someone who despairs of him treating women like sex objects. The only problem with that theory is - he doesn't. He's never treated Teyla or Elizabeth or Sam in any way other than as an equal. A happy moment for me in BAMSR was when he told Teyla to shake off the stunning and move on. He treated her like a warrior not like a girl.
I never could quite get that 'sex object' slant. Oh, well. And yes, I thought the 'shake it off' was appropriate. Especially when he's used to her being the one to set the pace.

Me either. However most TV commercials are racier than the few times we've seen him flirt - Inferno comes to mind. Harmless flirting with a single girl (and mostly to irritate Rodney since he seemed fairly infatuated with her).
Inferno really started a flap, didn't it? ROFL! I thought the same thing. Sheppard was perfectly distant until he saw Rodney bumbling, and then he just had to step in... they did have a real competition going at first, in just about everything.

Right again. For a true kirk, check out Dylan Hunt on Andromeda.
Gotta say I quite like Kevin Sorbo - thought Hercules was loads of fun, so I watched the first season of Andromeda, butsort of lost interest during the break. I have most of the episodes, though; a friend recorded them as they were showing, so one day I'll go back and watch the whole thing. I did hear that Hunt kinda went 'lady of the week' there.

Funny thing is - I am one of those traditionalists. :)

I would like to see Teyla's baby live and grow on Atlantis. I'm perfectly fine with Kanan (and the rest of the Athosians) being found, but I would rather see him live on Atlantis and care for the child while she goes on missions than have the baby shuttled off to the next New Athos to never be heard from again.
Sorry, I was actually thinking of the 'womenfolks stay at home and nurse babies while the menfolks go hunt down the supper for the table' kind of tradition. ;)

The same way that I know Chuck is at his station and Keller is in the infirmary when the team is off world is the way I would know the baby is in the nursery being cared for. He doesn't have to be shown or even referenced in every ep. I would just prefer him to be a regular baby and to see her (and the guys on the team) deal with that - colic, late night feedings, teething. Imagine McKay's disgust when he reaches for his favorite scanner to find baby slobber all over it. Hee!
Or the first time one of them has to change a diaper? :lol:

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM
I loved the Ďphone numberí joke. I love Sheppardís expressions when Larrin is around or even brought up. Gawky, flustered, afraid, off balance. JF is so good at it. Larrin may be over-the-top but I love her effect on Sheppard. I think she has a lot of possibilities.
You and I seem to be a couple of the few who have no problem with Larrin. The character herself doesn't fascinate me (I just have this sneaking suspicion that leader of the ship :) is simply lineal, and she got it by being the direct descendent of the last captain), but I absolutely adore what she does to Sheppard. He's such a hoot when he starts stumbling all over himself. And I rather liked it that she was the one who started the OTT innuendo contest. His face! That was a true WTF? expression. Priceless!

I donít get it. Half the TV shows on now seem to have scenes in bed, but there is uproar every time Sheppard looks at a woman. Iím stunned every time it comes up. I donít ever want to see him interested in a regular character, but I have nothing against him temporarily smitten by a guest star. (It gives me a chance to live vicariously. :o) Like you say he's a handsome single man. Isnít noticing pretty women part of the definition?
Yes, and me too. Very strange. One poster in another thread said that Rodney has/had Katie, now Ronon has Keller, so when will Sheppard get to have some on-screen romance? I LMAO at that, and just had to go check out the poster. Any guesses? Yep, male. :) I havent done a full survey, but it would be interesting to know for sure who obsesses about 'kirking'. I don't think all females obsess about it, but I'm pretty sure that every 'kirker' has been either female or gay male. Kinda makes you wonder, huh? :lol:

I liked the cop reference too. It grounds the story in the here and now. Does make me wonder when the last time was that talked to her and how and why they stayed in touch over the years. A friend from college? How many others does he have? Which college?
Oh, background details! Yes, please!

The Wraith seem to keep humans at a rather primitive level. (Much cheaper to depict.) But I think they would want to have them well fed and well housed with a fairly high level of medical care. Optimize their breeding potential. Similar to raising beef.

:lol:

Or 'long pig'. Ulp. :)

Ruffles
January 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM

I am in complete agreement. He and Rodney both need someone to challenge them, and Larrin fits the bill for Sheppard - strong, sassy, not overwhelmed by his good looks or ATA gene. She could be a great character if TPTB decide to invest a little in her. Michael and Todd have turned out to be complex and interesting. No reason she can't. I think we need to know a little more about the Travellers though - need to be able to take her and them seriously.

I thought so. I know that I notice handsome men, and if I get a chance to flirt, even better.

I was dying to know all of that when he mentioned his college friend, Todd, in SoW. I also want to know what he majored in.

Of course, she will stay with the team, because she can protect her child best there.
I hope she does it as a mother (and not a single one) with a live, healthy, normal baby. I hope she leaves the kid with his dad, who has become leader of the Athosians, and continues her fight against the Wraith because her reasons are still valid. (Or all the remaining Athosians come back to Atlantis to live --not my favorite idea, they got pretty boring).

I don't really care to have the Athosians live on Atlantis, but I don't think I'd care for the angst of having her child raised elsewhere (on New Athos). Even though she could visit often, it wouldn't be the same as coming home to her family every night.

Ewww. ;)

I never could quite get that 'sex object' slant. Oh, well. And yes, I thought the 'shake it off' was appropriate. Especially when he's used to her being the one to set the pace.

One of the things I really like about Stargate (both shows) is that they depict women as equals in intelligence and strength (of spirit if not body). They fight and sacrifice (and sometimes die).

Inferno really started a flap, didn't it? ROFL! I thought the same thing. Sheppard was perfectly distant until he saw Rodney bumbling, and then he just had to step in... they did have a real competition going at first, in just about everything.

TBH, someone had to point out to me his motivation in flirting with Norina (?) in Inferno. Must have been too subtle for me to pick up the first time. :D But the idea of flirting with her just to annoy McKay cracks me up. It's a completely Sheppard thing to do (like the fruit basket for Sam in Reunion).

And I love his attempted flirtation in Aurora. First, he fails miserably and gets shocked by the forcefield in the process. Then he finds out he was flirting with a Wraith. Hee! Such a goof.

Gotta say I quite like Kevin Sorbo - thought Hercules was loads of fun, so I watched the first season of Andromeda, butsort of lost interest during the break. I have most of the episodes, though; a friend recorded them as they were showing, so one day I'll go back and watch the whole thing. I did hear that Hunt kinda went 'lady of the week' there.

I liked Hercules too which is why I watched Andromeda, but sheesh. He does WAY more than flirt.

Sorry, I was actually thinking of the 'womenfolks stay at home and nurse babies while the menfolks go hunt down the supper for the table' kind of tradition. ;)

*giggles* I knew what you meant.

Or the first time one of them has to change a diaper? :lol:

Or has to deal with projectile vomiting. Imagine getting that out of dreadlocks.

Raven56
January 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I am in complete agreement. He and Rodney both need someone to challenge them, and Larrin fits the bill for Sheppard - strong, sassy, not overwhelmed by his good looks or ATA gene. She could be a great character if TPTB decide to invest a little in her. Michael and Todd have turned out to be complex and interesting. No reason she can't. I think we need to know a little more about the Travellers though - need to be able to take her and them seriously.
Exactly. Unfortunately the volume of the screams from the anti's whenever she's onscreen would deafen someone on Pluto. Sigh. I think the Travelers are definitely worth developing. They make me think of the Free Traders from Andre Norton's old books (in a GOOD way!). I like little things that bring back good memories!

I was dying to know all of that when he mentioned his college friend, Todd, in SoW. I also want to know what he majored in.
Me too! Maybe mathematics? He was very quick with the 720 combinations, and remembering McKay's password? Wow.

I don't really care to have the Athosians live on Atlantis, but I don't think I'd care for the angst of having her child raised elsewhere (on New Athos). Even though she could visit often, it wouldn't be the same as coming home to her family every night.
Bit of a problem either way; but if they have plenty of power for the Stargate, she could simply 'commute', perhaps. I don't want the Athosians there, either. Sigh.

But the idea of flirting with her just to annoy McKay cracks me up. It's a completely Sheppard thing to do (like the fruit basket for Sam in Reunion).
ROFL. I'd forgotten that one. That was an evil, but very funny, thing to do, IMO. :p Darn it, I don't see a little devil smiley!

And I love his attempted flirtation in Aurora. First, he fails miserably and gets shocked by the forcefield in the process. Then he finds out he was flirting with a Wraith. Hee! Such a goof.
I'd forgotten that one, too. And it never hit me that he'd been 'hitting on' a Wraith. :lol: Bet that gave him nightmares for a while!

Or has to deal with projectile vomiting. Imagine getting that out of dreadlocks.
EWWWWWWWW!

Ruffles
January 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM
Exactly. Unfortunately the volume of the screams from the anti's whenever she's onscreen would deafen someone on Pluto. Sigh. I think the Travelers are definitely worth developing. They make me think of the Free Traders from Andre Norton's old books (in a GOOD way!). I like little things that bring back good memories!

It's nice to have someone on almost equal footing rather than the medieval villagers we usually see.

Me too! Maybe mathematics? He was very quick with the 720 combinations, and remembering McKay's password? Wow.

Mathematics is a definite possibility. I personally think he has a business degree perhaps in some kind of strategic planning/management.

Bit of a problem either way; but if they have plenty of power for the Stargate, she could simply 'commute', perhaps. I don't want the Athosians there, either. Sigh.

Agreed but then she wouldn't be around (in my mind) except right before and after missions - not there for Atlantis in peril eps like Quarantine or Tabula Rasa.

I'd forgotten that one, too. And it never hit me that he'd been 'hitting on' a Wraith. :lol: Bet that gave him nightmares for a while!

What really made me laugh is later when McKay's drooling over her, Shep points it out but conveniently forgets to mention he did the same. Hee!

EWWWWWWWW!

Well, since Jason cut the 'locks, he could use that as an excuse for Ronon to lose them. :D

Skydiver
January 21st, 2008, 05:50 PM
guys, first, stop talking about other fan groups

Second, the topic is sheppard, teyla and pregnancy and was meant to be about the shep/teyla scenes in quarantine. It's not a general discussion thread about sheppard. So let's get stuff more on topic and take the general sheppard stuff to a more general thread please

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Given Sheppard's concern over the pregnancy, I can see him taking on the role of father to the baby if Kanan is not successfully rescued.

Raven56
January 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Given Sheppard's concern over the pregnancy, I can see him taking on the role of father to the baby if Kanan is not successfully rescued.
Me, too. At the very least Uncle Shep - and considering how he's been with the pregnancy (nervous and overprotective), I think he'd probably do a few major freak-outs.... Hmmm, that could be very amusing.... :D

MIZA
January 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
oh i hope Shep is there for the birth, maybe she can name him after him?

one thing i know Teyla was carzy for peering and attempting to go out the window , i was like " what the heck is she doing?"