PDA

View Full Version : Ronon and the ATA Gene (SPOILERS)

RepliVeggie
January 18th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Rejoice! WOot! Wonder when this happened. Also I would think Atlantis would use something stronger then glass for windows hehe. Anyways a good episode. I was sad that Rodney and Kattie's relationship ended it seemed. But Ronnon and Keller relationship seems oddly right.

wheresmyfroggy
January 18th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Ummmmmmm. No?

RepliVeggie
January 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Ummmmmmm. No?

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought the Ancients PalmPilot required the gene. Might be I guess I should check before I say anything next time.

wheresmyfroggy
January 18th, 2008, 11:28 PM
This came up earlier in the season, I think in Reunion when Zelenka was using some form of PDA thing. You need the gene to activate one of the devices, once it's activated anyone could use it.

I didn't know this until Reunion with that whole debacle.

wraithfound
January 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Rejoice! WOot! Wonder when this happened. Also I would think Atlantis would use something stronger then glass for windows hehe. Anyways a good episode. I was sad that Rodney and Kattie's relationship ended it seemed. But Ronnon and Keller relationship seems oddly right.

Totally agree on the Ronon Kellar thing, actually my dad pointed out the same thing about the windows before I told him to stop talking ( I couldn't here the characters). You'd think they'd have some supper col space shield thing or somethin' instead. *shrugs*

Any way I don't think he has the ATA gene, I think other people are just activating thing before him.

Jeffala
January 18th, 2008, 11:43 PM
It wasn't a life signs detector, it was a medical scanner control pad.

andromeda_dan
January 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM
well, this epi confirms my suspicion about the Ancients. They are bad home builders. They hired the greatest architect of all times, in any galaxy, but skimped on the building material. UNTEMPERED GLASS ON A HIGH RISE....FLW is turning on his grave.:mckay:

Shan Bruce Lee
January 19th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Of course the glass is weak. I think it was in 'The Storm' when Rodney said that Atlantis is fragile because the Ancients relied mainly on it's shields to protect it.

Jeffala
January 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Of course the glass is weak. I think it was in 'The Storm' when Rodney said that Atlantis is fragile because the Ancients relied mainly on it's shields to protect it.

And it is "several million" years old.

freetoken
January 19th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Also, wasn't the glass in the tower blown to bits already? They never explained how they rebuilt the tower.

kymeric
January 19th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Also, wasn't the glass in the tower blown to bits already? They never explained how they rebuilt the tower.

If your talking the return the Asurans did it, if your talking first strike it only grazed it enough to hurt weir and the power lines at the base... bases of buildings tend to be wider than the top, if theyre still using it then its probably structurally sound. And humans have been fixing buildings for tens of thousands of years ^.^

TheAccended
January 19th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Most Ancient technology doesn't require the gene to operate. The Life signs detector just needs someone with the gene to turn it on, after that it can be used by anyone. Much like how once Sheppard turned the systems for the ship in Travellers they were able to operate the ship like normal.

Jeffala
January 19th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Also, wasn't the glass in the tower blown to bits already?

That was on the "front" of the tower. He entered through the side.

Besides, I'm sure they would have fixed it somehow so that there wouldn't constantly be wind blowing through the control room.

SGAsgard
January 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
OK first off, hasn't any one rememberd that the tower has been blown up, hit my an Asuran laser beam, and a number of other things, so perhaps Earth and the Atlantis team replaced certain windows with Earth glass therfore making it easier to break. Also it stands to point out that in the Seige part II, Shep tells Col. Everett that the Life-signs detector is no good unless you have the gen, it stands to relize that most other hand held devices would require the gene but it also stands to point out that perhaps the team has been able to cercumvent the use of the gene in certain systems. But i'm just saying.

Mitchell82
January 19th, 2008, 11:52 AM
OK first off, hasn't any one rememberd that the tower has been blown up, hit my an Asuran laser beam, and a number of other things, so perhaps Earth and the Atlantis team replaced certain windows with Earth glass therfore making it easier to break. Also it stands to point out that in the Seige part II, Shep tells Col. Everett that the Life-signs detector is no good unless you have the gen, it stands to relize that most other hand held devices would require the gene but it also stands to point out that perhaps the team has been able to cercumvent the use of the gene in certain systems. But i'm just saying.

Good point about the tower being rebuilt but also it is known that the city is as fragile as any other city because the Ancients relied on the shield for protection. As to the other part you are right about the life signs detector but that wasnt what he used. Keller doesnt have the gene either so the medical pad must not require the gene.

Dobberman
January 19th, 2008, 12:01 PM
well, this epi confirms my suspicion about the Ancients. They are bad home builders. They hired the greatest architect of all times, in any galaxy, but skimped on the building material. UNTEMPERED GLASS ON A HIGH RISE....FLW is turning on his grave.:mckay:

Speaking of building materials, in the close ups of the walls as Shep was climbing the tower, the wall looked a hell of a lot like concrete (or at least something similar) which means that the problem that some people had with the explosions in the Seer's prophecy are laid to rest :)

Jeffala
January 19th, 2008, 12:16 PM
OK first off, hasn't any one rememberd that the tower has been blown up

It wasn't blown up. An outer wall was grazed by the beam as the shields were going up. If it were blown up, the Atlantis crew wouldn't have been hanging around in the control room in "Adrift" or "Lifeline". Ronon would be dead, so would anyone else in the tower when it was "blown up".

Vala_M
January 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
That bothered me. I guess that they decided to make the life sings detectors only need be initialized instead of completley gene-reliant. But that is a stupid thing to change since what if a Wraith got a life sigs detector that was already initialized? That would be bad. I also noticed Zelenka using it who doesn't have the gene.

I don't think that Ronon or Teyla want the gene since they seem to see the Ancients as the "Ancestors", more of a sacret thing than the Atlantis team from Earth or the Genii do.

Vala,

Avenger
January 19th, 2008, 03:42 PM
It wasn't a lifesign detector. It was a control pad for something on the medical bed. Seriously, people. Stop with the lifesign detector because it wasn't a life detector.

Jeffala
January 19th, 2008, 03:53 PM
It wasn't a lifesign detector. It was a control pad for something on the medical bed.

The Lantean medical scanner. We saw it in action in "The Seer". It was used on Davos. It moves from one end of the bed to the other.

Avenger
January 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
And we've seen the expedition interface our own computers with with tech on the city, which means they don't need the gene to operate it.

jyh
January 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM

I thought the same thing about about the windows. The blast doors are impenetrable to almost anything.... but the window shatters from a hit from an office stool?? Not quite buying it. But I thought the visual of Sheppard climbing the tower was awesome. I love those pull-out shots. And--show of hands--who thought Teyla was going to commit the ultimate stupidity and start climbing herself?? I would have turned the show off completely if she'd done that.

As for Ronon and the gene... I don't know. I agree there's more to his physiology than we currently know about. Maybe Keller will learn a thing or two soon, either in the lab or out. he he!! ;)

SGAsgard
January 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
:jack_new_anime25:OK yes the tower wasn't blown up in "First Strike", but it was in, "The Return", then rebuilt by the Replicators, so it was "blown up." but one must not nit pick

Alipeeps
January 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM
Maybe I am mistaken but I thought the Ancients PalmPilot required the gene. Might be I guess I should check before I say anything next time.

As several folks have mentioned.. what Ronon used was the control pad (effectively the remote control) for the Ancient scanner. There's been no suggestion that the gene is needed to operate that piece of equipment (we've seen Keller using it and I don't think she has the gene, does she?). Some Ancient equipment needs the gene to use it at all (usually dangerous systems/technology such as the weapons/the jumpers etc) but much of it just needs to be initialised and then anyone can use it.

It wasn't blown up. An outer wall was grazed by the beam as the shields were going up. If it were blown up, the Atlantis crew wouldn't have been hanging around in the control room in "Adrift" or "Lifeline". Ronon would be dead, so would anyone else in the tower when it was "blown up".

Yes it has been blown up - in The Return II. The post you were replying to, below, listed several things that had happened to the control tower: blown up (Return II), bit by an Asuran laser beam (First Strike) etc.

OK first off, hasn't any one rememberd that the tower has been blown up, hit my an Asuran laser beam, and a number of other things,