PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers guide in SGA!(spoilers or quarantine)

tombombadil
January 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
When Sheppard types Mckay's password it has newtons birth year, Einstein's birth year his birth year. also at the end is 42. as sheppard pointed out 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything. this id from hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy. McKay's a Douglas Adams fan. that's just funny

Pharaoh Atem
January 18th, 2008, 08:25 PM
When Sheppard types Mckay's password it has newtons birth year, Einstein's birth year his birth year. also at the end is 42. as sheppard pointed out 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything. this id from hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy. McKay's a Douglas Adams fan. that's just funny

and the writers

Mitchell82
January 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I didn't get it though I hate that movie.

Sky042
January 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM

In reality it's very little to do with the movie.
The story is really all about the books.

Shan Bruce Lee
January 19th, 2008, 12:06 AM
It's not the first time they've done it. They just had Shep point it out this time.

Avenger
January 19th, 2008, 12:48 AM

The book is far better.

Regardless, 42 resonates in scifi geekdom.

Willow'sCat
January 19th, 2008, 03:03 AM
The book is far better.
The Book(s) is awesome. Douglas Adams was a wonderful writer, he wrote/contributed to many Doctor Who eps back in the day... I miss him, they don't write clever, witty scifi like that much anymore. Well Doctor Who aside. :D

I like that McKay (tptb) respect DA enough to use "42" as part of McKay's password. ;) I bet David got a kick out of it too, being a Doctor Who fan and all. :)

Mr Prophet
January 19th, 2008, 03:07 AM
The book is far better.

Regardless, 42 resonates in scifi geekdom.

Book? Bunch of Jonny-come-latelys. The radio series is the original and best.

VSS
January 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
It's not the first time they've done it. They just had Shep point it out this time.

True. Shep mentioned it in Doppelganger, but only in passing. This time he explained it.

Book? Bunch of Jonny-come-latelys. The radio series is the original and best.

Yeah, once I was lost in the wilds of Montana in my SUV with that radio series on tape, end even though we didn't have a freakin' clue where we were, we laughed the whole time. A lot of authors don't read their stuff very well, but he sure did!:)

Integrabyte
January 19th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Ditto!

Roach
January 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
DA did a book reading of "Mostly Harmless" in Philly when the book first came out... A friend of mine who also is a fan wasn't able to go, but I went anyway and I'm very glad I did. I just looked at my book, and it was back in 92. Yikes!!

It was very cool that Shepard explained 42. Not that she would understand.... much like when he told that woman on the Wraith ship about the clowns... :)

-R

metabog
January 19th, 2008, 10:59 AM

That's like saying Lord of The Rings sucks because you hated the movies.

In case you didn't know, the movie came after the book/s

Integrabyte
January 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM

...and the problem with that is?

prion
January 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
This is how you should ingest Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

1) the books

2) if you need to see it, watch the 12 part (or was it 13?) part that was shown on PBS about 10-20 years ago. Have no idea if it's available on tape/dvd, but it was GREAT

3) last resort - the movie

Mitchell82
January 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I see your point. I love the LOTR books and movies but didn't know this was a book. I'll give that a try as the movie was very, very bad.

The_Carpenter
January 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I see your point. I love the LOTR books and movies but didn't know this was a book. I'll give that a try as the movie was very, very bad.

Its five books, a trilogy in five parts! although it does dissolve into brilliant insanity towards the end of the trilogy.

Also we just need some Marvin the Paranoid Android references in Stargate would be awesome!

sueKay
January 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hey I liked the movie!

Granted, the book was better

CommanderThor11
January 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM
how was it brought up in doppleganger? i don't seem to remember... and am too lazy to look, and why should I, you guys will tell me... lol

IMForeman
January 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM

1) the books

2) if you need to see it, watch the 12 part (or was it 13?) part that was shown on PBS about 10-20 years ago. Have no idea if it's available on tape/dvd, but it was GREAT

It was 6 parts... and if you really want to be precise, you really could say that the Radio Show is the place to start, since it was first. Then books, then TV, then Infocom text adventure game, then movie.

Didn't like the movie, loved all other forms.

HyperspaceDaemon
January 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM

1) the books

3) last resort - the movie

Movies are frequently inferior to the corresponding books.

Take Dune for instance: there are no good Dune movies ... And "the children of dune" movie is impossible to follow unless you know the book already.

Mr Prophet
January 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM
It was 6 parts... and if you really want to be precise, you really could say that the Radio Show is the place to start, since it was first. Then books, then TV, then Infocom text adventure game, then movie.

Didn't like the movie, loved all other forms.

I actually liked the movie, mostly because the order and delivery of the jokes was just different enough that I could laugh at them for the first time in years. I can practically quote all 12 parts of the radio series from end to end ("this is the story of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy..."), which actually makes it very tricky to listen to.

I also loved the new radio series based on Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long and Thanks for al the Fish (more, in fact, than I liked the book) and Mostly Harmless.

MJCS
January 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
how was it brought up in doppleganger? i don't seem to remember... and am too lazy to look, and why should I, you guys will tell me... lol
Rodney: Do you have any Idea how many gate addresses in the Ancient Database that have no accompaing description?

Sheppard: 42

Rodney: No, I think it is a little more than that. Look, I don't really think that is the point.

FalconSpirit
January 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM
When I graduated from high school, the line about 42 being the answer to life, the universe, and everything was on the little banner that they had for each student.

Such a geek. As if Stargate Atlantis needed even more things like these kind of in-jokes for me to like it even more. TPTB, keep it up, I loved it!

On a side note, the books were better than the movie, though I did enjoy watching the movie as well. It's a shame that what DNA wrote that got put in The Salmon of Doubt didn't get finished. (Not a HHGTTG book, but Dirk Gently is good as well.)

flameling
January 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Movies are frequently inferior to the corresponding books.

Take Dune for instance: there are no good Dune movies ... And "the children of dune" movie is impossible to follow unless you know the book already.

True. And most of them fequently separate from the book midway-to end. Take for example, Eragon. At the start it was pretty acurrate, with some mistakes, but midway-end it seperated completely, especially in the last battle:( .

MIZA
January 21st, 2008, 05:04 PM
yeah i liked the movie, but i wish i could pick up on these movie references a lot quicker, i mean i miss the last one from "Travelers" when he said his name was Reed Richards

The Maneuver
January 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
When I graduated from high school, the line about 42 being the answer to life, the universe, and everything was on the little banner that they had for each student.

Such a geek. As if Stargate Atlantis needed even more things like these kind of in-jokes for me to like it even more. TPTB, keep it up, I loved it!

On a side note, the books were better than the movie, though I did enjoy watching the movie as well. It's a shame that what DNA wrote that got put in The Salmon of Doubt didn't get finished. (Not a HHGTTG book, but Dirk Gently is good as well.)

Just a little side note. Though what he was writing was a Dirk Gently novel, DNA did say at some point that he was considering changing the plot so it was a Hitchhikers book instead. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Salmon_of_Doubt

MIZA
January 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
The Book(s) is awesome. Douglas Adams was a wonderful writer, he wrote/contributed to many Doctor Who eps back in the day... I miss him, they don't write clever, witty scifi like that much anymore. Well Doctor Who aside. :D

I like that McKay (tptb) respect DA enough to use "42" as part of McKay's password. ;) I bet David got a kick out of it too, being a Doctor Who fan and all. :)

wow i just saw your video on your live journal very nice and sweet,

questions are looping certain scenes over and are some of the scene from the upcoming episode Outcast ?

Jill_Ion
January 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM

I didn't hate the movie, but I sure didn't like it! Great actors, IMHO, but it was just...just...wrong.

The book, though, totally rocks. Just do like I do for any Highlander movie after the first one. "There can be only one!"

Forget it ever happened. :) Then you can read the book without any ill-feelings. :)

andromeda_dan
January 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
..bought the movie a long time ago, never viewed it till posting came up...funny. Maybe the MALP should be renamed into Marvin.

Mitchell82
January 25th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I didn't hate the movie, but I sure didn't like it! Great actors, IMHO, but it was just...just...wrong.

The book, though, totally rocks. Just do like I do for any Highlander movie after the first one. "There can be only one!"

Forget it ever happened. :) Then you can read the book without any ill-feelings. :)

Ugh Highlander. Whoever decided the plot for the movies after the first needs to be shot.

garhkal
January 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM
There has only been one film i lkiked more than the book... Firestarter.

Madeleine
January 29th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I liked that scene. Teyla's face when Shep told her the significance of 42 made me suspect that she's developed a Geekdom Filter for when she's arong Shep and McKay, so that she can just move on and doesn't have to bother digging out the pop-culture explanations :)

Jumper_One
January 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I liked that scene. Teyla's face when Shep told her the significance of 42 made me suspect that she's developed a Geekdom Filter for when she's arong Shep and McKay, so that she can just move on and doesn't have to bother digging out the pop-culture explanations :)

you mean this?
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/413%20Quarantine/Quarantine59.png
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee163/Jumper_One/SGA/413%20Quarantine/Quarantine60.png

Madeleine
January 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Indeed :D