Plot hole shield strength, discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot hole shield strength, discuss.

Biggest one is Atlantis. How can it's shields last so long, yet none of their warships have shields that are remotely close? It was written so into the plot.

Next, Asuran satellite: Infinite shields, do get real. It was written so. And the Asurans did not use a similar technique on their ships? No other similar weapons platform at the very least?

Odyssey

AOT spoilers

Spoiler:
    uber shields in AoT, taking 100+ Ori shots? Do get real. They were worried about 4 Ori ships? It was written so as well.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 18 January 2008, 06:52 AM.

I can Explain the Asuran Satellite as the shields were being maintained by energy from the beam-McKay said it himself

For the Oddessy you need to include spoiler tags as some of us won't see the movie until March

Comment

Aurora's are not powered by ZPMs.

Also, Atlantis is a city, and therfore has no need to balance its functions. All free power goes directly to sheild emitters with no need for evasive maneuvers or weapons fire.

Comment

The trouble with trying to analyse shields and ZPM's is that the ZPM's arn't consistent.
        For the most part now ZPM's seem to have a maximum out put yet in Mckay and Mrs Miller they could drain the full ZPM in seconds without it overloading.

The most plausible explanation tho when using a ZPM on ships is that they cant transfer the full amount of power available from a ZPM to the shields.
        The power conduits are likely alot smaller than those found on atlantis which could have power transfer conduits the size of an aurora class ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
          Aurora's are not powered by ZPMs.

Also, Atlantis is a city, and therfore has no need to balance its functions. All free power goes directly to sheild emitters with no need for evasive maneuvers or weapons fire.
          How do you know they're not powered by ZPMs? Has it ever actually been said in the show or is it just fan conjecture
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

The Tria had one and Todd the Wraith said so in Spoils Of War

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
              The Tria had one and Todd the Wraith said so in Spoils Of War
              I mean now. They might have stopped using them when the wraith started stealing them.
              Best quotes ever:
              O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
              Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
              Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
              Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
              Thor:I like the yellow ones
              O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                Biggest one is Atlantis. How can it's shields last so long, yet none of their warships have shields that are remotely close? It was written so into the plot.

Next, Asuran satellite: Infinite shields, do get real. It was written so. And the Asurans did not use a similar technique on their ships? No other similar weapons platform at the very least?

Odyssey uber shields in AoT, taking 100+ Ori shots? Do get real. They were worried about 4 Ori ships? It was written so as well.
                What were you smoking when you watched it?

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
                  I mean now. They might have stopped using them when the wraith started stealing them.
                  Or it became practice after the Asurans were nearly wiped out-there was never any time fram give so we dont know when the Asurans were created and when they got stepped on by the Ancients. The Ancients may have equiped their ships with ZPM's after the Asurans were attacked-Hence why the Asurans never equiped their ships with them as when they knew the Ancients it was never done!!!!

Comment

well atlantis does have 10 shield emitters and i would imagine a ship wouldnt have more than 1 shield emitter. Granted atlantis is a whole lot bigger than a ship but having 10 shield emitters should reduce the strain on each.

Comment

No disagreement from me-Slight thing is that u will have to divide the power supply between each emitter

Comment

How was all that infinite energy channeled to the Asuran satellite to make a shield?

How come the Aurora's with ZPMs so weak (Wraith captured 3 Aurora's with ZPMs in their previous war)? If they had any brains whatsoever, they would include similar shield tech in their warships or construct a new type of warship to have similar shields as Atlantis.

In conclusion: Shield strength, lack of, or crazy shield strength depends on what the writers want. No basis in any kind of fake-'science'.

AoT spoiler about shield strength:

4 Ori ships were attacking the Odyssey. Each Ori ships fires 1 beam per second. The 'battle' lasted over 1 minute EASILY, count the minutes if you want to, even when they went back and forth between what the characters were doing (assuming they were doing said actions at the same time). Assuming even that the Ori ships took 'turns' firing, 1 minute = 60 beams hit against the Odyssey shield. Unending it could only withstand at most 12 hits.

According to Carter they still had 18% shields left, shortly after they asked to surrender, but they still had shields left (Why? Ori ships continued to fire, 1shot of course would have destroyed the Odyssey without shields)

Comment

Originally posted by JSPuddlejumper View Post
                          How was all that infinite energy channeled to the Asuran satellite to make a shield?

How come the Aurora's with ZPMs so weak (Wraith captured 3 Aurora's with ZPMs in their previous war)? If they had any brains whatsoever, they would include similar shield tech in their warships or construct a new type of warship to have similar shields as Atlantis.

In conclusion: Shield strength, lack of, or crazy shield strength depends on what the writers want. No basis in any kind of fake-'science'.

AoT spoiler about shield strength:

4 Ori ships were attacking the Odyssey. Each Ori ships fires 1 beam per second. The 'battle' lasted over 1 minute EASILY, count the minutes if you want to, even when they went back and forth between what the characters were doing (assuming they were doing said actions at the same time). Assuming even that the Ori ships took 'turns' firing, 1 minute = 60 beams hit against the Odyssey shield. Unending it could only withstand at most 12 hits.

According to Carter they still had 18% shields left, shortly after they asked to surrender, but they still had shields left (Why? Ori ships continued to fire, 1shot of course would have destroyed the Odyssey without shields)
                          Rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            What were you smoking when you watched it?

he's right.
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

The Ori were firing pretty damn slowly in the sequence actually. An impact only every few seconds I believe. So it took a hell of a beating, but I don't think it was 100.
                              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Working...
                              X