PDA

View Full Version : I Knew It

Opener
January 14th, 2008, 01:49 AM
A little late, but the episode gave us something I've been suspecting for a while now. When Rodney and Radek are working on the Replicator block for the attack, Zelenka gets called away to what turns out to be the infirmary, to fix their molecular generators.

One of the things I wanted them to address has been their supplies. When the expedition originally embarks, they bring a lot of stuff with them: food, clothes, equipment, weapons, ammo, etc. But things tend to get used up, especially in a line unit. And after the Genii tried to take the city, they left with a lot of the Atlantis medical supplies, but the expedition has more medical supplies not too long after that. Even if they held some in reserve in case the main stock gets depleted, and later had the Daedalus to make supply runs, that's still a lot of materiel being used up.

This is not a rip on plot holes by any means, I'm just happy that TPTB took care of this. I mean, a race as advanced as the Ancients would have to have some kind of technology like that, just to support their civilization.

Though it appears that the generators in the kitchen have trouble with the color blue, at least in jello.:D

Ghent
January 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he said naquadah generator :jack_new15:

PG15
January 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I think he said "Naquada generator", actually.

Pharaoh Atem
January 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
directly from from the transcript

ATLANTIS. Rodney is waiting near his lab and looks irritated as Radek hurries to join him.

McKAY: You and I have two very different definitions of "this won't take too long."

ZELENKA: I know. I'm really sorry. The naqahdah generator in Section seven is giving us all sorts of trouble, but it's fixed now. I'm all yours. What would you like to try now?

Opener
January 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Well crap. Um...

*flees*

Agent_Dark
January 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
after him!

FallenAngelII
January 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Since when do we have molecule generators, like, at all and since when does "molecule" mean "anything you want"? While a lot of people would possibly find it "cool", it'd be funny if they introduced such important new tech in a throaway manner. And by "funny" I mean "stupid".

Dobberman
January 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Since when do we have molecule generators, like, at all

Non Season 4/5 related spoiler:
Well the Asgard core on the Odyssey is able to rig the transporter technology to materialise anything you want (Unending).

GATE FOOL
January 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well the Asgard core on the Odyssey is able to rig the transporter technology to materialise anything you want (Unending).

Sweet! I want that

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM

That's not generating a molecule though, it's rearranging molecules.

Ebeneezer_Goode
January 28th, 2008, 03:48 AM
That's not generating a molecule though, it's rearranging molecules.

No, it's turning energy into matter.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
No, it's turning energy into matter.

By rearranging the molecules, or the atoms or the particles or what-have-you.

Ebeneezer_Goode
January 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM
By rearranging the molecules, or the atoms or the particles or what-have-you.

No.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
No.

Yes. How else would you turn energy into matter? You rearrange the basic building blocks so that it's now a different substance.

Ebeneezer_Goode
January 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Yes. How else would you turn energy into matter? You rearrange the basic building blocks so that it's now a different substance.

Different substance? It wasn't a substance to begin with, it was energy.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
January 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Different substance? It wasn't a substance to begin with, it was energy.

Energy is a substance in that it exists in the physical universe and is composed of particles. That's what I meant. To convert it to matter, one would re-order those particles to form more solid units from which to build an object. But this argument is silly. Can we stop? My first post was a minor nitpick that I didn't intend to start anything, and I'm wishing I hadn't posted it because it was basically needless.

escyos
June 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
maybe they trades with other worlds for supplies and just made some stuff by themselves. you can make penicillin and antibiotics pretty easily if you have the right stuff, and scapels and bandages dont require a pHd