PDA

View Full Version : Any really good films out there?

Battera
January 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I've watched quite a few movies recently of this genre and I'm just bored of it. "I am Legend" was so uninteresting to me, and There don't seem to be very many good movies out there anymore.

Anyone know of any "good" Sci-Fi movies?

DigiFluid
January 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM
A.I. (minus the last 15 minutes or so, it was genius. Fark you Spielberg)
Alien/Aliens
Blade Runner
The Boys from Brazil
A Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Contact
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Dune (the Sci Fi miniseries from a few years back, not the Lynch version)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Event Horizon (watch alone, with the lights out)
Forbidden Planet
Gattaca
The Matrix trilogy
Metropolis
The Omega Man
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Serenity
Solaris (1972)
Star Trek 2/4/6
Star Wars OT
Terminator/T2
Twelve Monkeys

BJdavidLS
January 13th, 2008, 06:46 AM
You must not forget Children Of Men, which was brilliant in my opinion.

MarshAngel
January 13th, 2008, 02:23 PM
You must not forget Children Of Men, which was brilliant in my opinion.
that was just so depressing to me. By the end of it I just thought, no one's worth saving.

I recently saw The Man From Earth. It was entirely conversational but still so very interesting.

I thought Transformers was fun. The Last Mimzy was cute. And for a good monster movie, Gwoemul fits the bill. But if you've already seen all those plus the ones DigiFluid listed, then I can't say there's much more. The genre is not really filled with "great" movies. Most are really below par.

BJdavidLS
January 16th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I recently saw The Man From Earth. It was entirely conversational but still so very interesting.

I saw it a day ago, it's a perfect movie in my opinion.

David B.

January 16th, 2008, 03:47 AM
anything by david croneburg

MarshAngel
January 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Has anyone seen Sunshine as yet? It's not perfect, but it's actually pretty good. It has a couple of the usual horror movie elements but without the cheese factor and poor attempts at comedy. It's a little more grounded in reality than usual if you discount the reason for the whole thing and the climax.

January 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM
yeah it's pretty good, it suffers the same as i am legend did though, good thriller to begin with then turned into an average wannabe horror towords the end.

DigiFluid
January 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Eternal Sunshine was a far, far better movie than I Am Legend. Much more humanity to it than IAL. Jim Carrey's performance is stellar too, far better than anything I've seen Will Smith in. Carrey, when not doing slapstick, is actually a terrific actor.

MarshAngel
January 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I keep hearing how wonderful Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is but I can't get past the first half hour.

Randy_Watson
January 17th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Eternal Sunshine was a far, far better movie than I Am Legend. Much more humanity to it than IAL. Jim Carrey's performance is stellar too, far better than anything I've seen Will Smith in. Carrey, when not doing slapstick, is actually a terrific actor.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Danny Boyles Sunshine, not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would be very confused if someone said Eternal Sunshine started out a thriller and became a wannabe Horror movie.

DigiFluid
January 17th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Danny Boyles Sunshine, not Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I would be very confused if someone said Eternal Sunshine started out a thriller and became a wannabe Horror movie.

A good thing to clear up, I know I was confused ;)

Mefusta
January 17th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I thought Sunshine was actually pretty good. If you put aside the slasher elements and the fact they have gravity for some strange bloody reason, it's really quite a good watch.

I'm surprised Starship Troopers hasn't been mentioned. A complete *******ization of Heinlein's book in every conceivable way, but a solid movie nonetheless and definitely one of Verhoeven's best.

The Fifth Element definitely deserves a mention, as it has just the right amount of wit, action and camp to make it a real winner.

Let's not forget Pitch Black, although I might be bias since it's a movie with a heavily Australian cast shot in the Australian outback. Still, a solid little movie plus it's got Claudia Black to boot.

Minority Report is another one of Spielberg's gems. Nice action, interesting story, and some really cool looking cinematography.

There's Galaxy Quest, one of the best satirical sci-fi flicks out there. Well, it's probably one of the only satirical sci-fi flicks out there, but my point remains valid.

And finally, for a classic take, you can't go past Logan's Run. Basil Exposition running around a society of promiscuous 20-somethings, dodging lasers and blowing **** up. A true tale for the children.

Oh, and as i'm typing i've actually got The Fountain running in the background. It's sort of sci-fi, but really I don't have a ****ing clue what the hell is going on. Good movie so far, though.

MarshAngel
January 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I thought the fountain was beautiful.. but I also have no idea what the hell it was about.

I love satire and spoof so Starship Troopers and Galaxy Quest are two of my favorites. It's odd though, not everyone seems to get the appeal of Starship Troopers. I think what seemed like mockery to me, seemed pretty straight to some and I don't fault them for that. The real world is more and more like a spoof of some other grounded reality everyday.

Dark City is worth a mention. Not usually my kind of film but the payoff was so worth it.

As for movies I'm looking forward to:

I've never read Ender's Game but the concept seems intriguing. I want to see how that works out in film.

There's an A&E miniseries of The Andromeda Strain coming up. I thought the original movie was fascinating. Reminded me a little of an Earth-bound version of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There are two 2012 movies coming up. I'm pretty sure both will suck but I still want to see what they do with the concept. And on the note of concepts... I Have to see Teeth. It's probably going to be silly but the concept is very view worthy.

But movies I genuinely want to see are The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Alice

DigiFluid
January 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I just finished watching Children of Men for the first time (yeah, I'm a little behind). Wow. See this movie.

EarthandBeyond
January 17th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Star Trek VIII: First Contact

Xicer
January 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
A lotta them have already been named, but a few that I don't think have been mentioned would be the 1968 Planet of the Apes, Back to the Future, Spaceballs (under parodies), the older War of the Worlds, The Abyss...

Traveler Enroute1
January 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Lots of my favorites listed, including Fifth Element, Andromeda Strain, 2001 a Space Odyssey, Solaris (Russian version).

I'd add Colossus, the Forbin Project; a bit like Hal in 2001 but more like his evil daddy. For pathos aplenty, Silent Running. I'm also partial to the Quartermass films (Quartermass and the Pit comes to mind).

Just sayin', "good" sci-fi is so subjective that one's faves are others' nayes. But looks like you've got quite a list to get started on. Have fun!