Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoilers of War > Be All My Sins Remember'd

I think SOW is a lot better than BAMSR.

BAMSR was basically the Atlantis team using Asgard and Ancient technology to beat the Asurans. There were no hard choices to be made, no sacrifices by the main characters, and the Asurans were beaten in a very impersonal manner. Oberth was not seen at all.

I didn't really get a sense of danger during the battle. It was a cool looking battle, but the Asurians never seemed to counter-attack. They were on the defensive during the entire episode, which put the team in little jeopardy. Their Asgard and Ancient technology gave the humans a decisive advantage ship-to-ship.

The effort to form the alliance was very easy. All the negotiating was done off-screen in the span of minutes during the episode. The only challenges were technical in manner. Slight tweaks to the replicator code to make Fran, slight tweaks to the "attraction code" and a miraculous neutronium ore deposit to effect the plan were the only clever bits... all effected through McKay's technobabble. I like BAMSR, but it didn't seem like a very dramatic episode in the end.

However, Spoilers of War was a gritty and personal episode. The Wraith are always scary with their biological technology. The birth of the Wraith warrior - and the glimpse of him unmasked - was very disgusting. The team was in jeopardy for much of the episode. Teyla had to risk the safety of her child to rescue the team... and her character changed because of it too. There was little real character growth in BAMSR except for a 30 second scene with Ellis (and that was just politics with no real sacrifice or danger for the main characters). It was nice to see Teyla controlling the Wraith instead of the other way around like last time. Everyone on the team had something to do and contribute. Tood was a good character and showed the Wraith as multidimensional villains unlike the Asurans in BAMSR. There was still action, but it was because of tactics and strategy instead of McKay's technobabble. The team got their hands dirty and there was meaningful information revealed (like the history of the Ancient-Wraith war).

Everything in the story seemed to be connected naturally with few "lucky coincidences." Even Teyla's enhanced abilities was easily explained based on her pregnancy (no "hey, there's a neutronium vein or an ancient replicator maker"). So for me, SOW seemed like a much better written episode than BAMSR. Sure there was a cooler battle in the previous episode, but it was a by-the-books with little conflict. SOW had better action and a more dramatic and naturally flowing story. Which is why I think it is a better and more interesting episode.

Originally posted by Lord You View Post

BAMSR was basically the Atlantis team using Asgard and Ancient technology to beat the Asurans. There were no hard choices to be made, no sacrifices by the main characters, and the Asurans were beaten in a very impersonal manner. Oberth was not seen at all.

I didn't really get a sense of danger during the battle. It was a cool looking battle, but the Asurians never seemed to counter-attack. They were on the defensive during the entire episode, which put the team in little jeopardy. Their Asgard and Ancient technology gave the humans a decisive advantage ship-to-ship.

The effort to form the alliance was very easy. All the negotiating was done off-screen in the span of minutes during the episode. The only challenges were technical in manner. Slight tweaks to the replicator code to make Fran, slight tweaks to the "attraction code" and a miraculous neutronium ore deposit to effect the plan were the only clever bits... all effected through McKay's technobabble. I like BAMSR, but it didn't seem like a very dramatic episode in the end.

However, Spoilers of War was a gritty and personal episode. The Wraith are always scary with their biological technology. The birth of the Wraith warrior - and the glimpse of him unmasked - was very disgusting. The team was in jeopardy for much of the episode. Teyla had to risk the safety of her child to rescue the team... and her character changed because of it too. There was little real character growth in BAMSR except for a 30 second scene with Ellis (and that was just politics with no real sacrifice or danger for the main characters). It was nice to see Teyla controlling the Wraith instead of the other way around like last time. Everyone on the team had something to do and contribute. Tood was a good character and showed the Wraith as multidimensional villains unlike the Asurans in BAMSR. There was still action, but it was because of tactics and strategy instead of McKay's technobabble. The team got their hands dirty and there was meaningful information revealed (like the history of the Ancient-Wraith war).

Everything in the story seemed to be connected naturally with few "lucky coincidences." Even Teyla's enhanced abilities was easily explained based on her pregnancy (no "hey, there's a neutronium vein or an ancient replicator maker"). So for me, SOW seemed like a much better written episode than BAMSR. Sure there was a cooler battle in the previous episode, but it was a by-the-books with little conflict. SOW had better action and a more dramatic and naturally flowing story. Which is why I think it is a better and more interesting episode.
    I liked both BAMSR and SoW. They were great for different reasons though. I've never been turned off by technobabble solutions so I liked the way they defeated the Asurans. Better then another planetary ARG wave again.

Comment

I loved them both.

But I gotta say I was really expecting the Daedalus or the Apollo to show up and throw down some Asgard tech.
      I mean they can't have gone back to the Milky way just yet... shouldn't they have been there for backup at least?

and shouldn't the wraith fear us now?

Comment

Agreed

Comment

I agree that SOW was better than BAMSR, but only by a hair. They are very different types of eps, but for me SOW has the edge because of many of the things the OP said. I do think they were very close though.

Perfecto!

Comment

Great post, I agree with you. This episode was great in all the ways you said, I am also glad that we are getting more Wraith episodes since they are way cooler than the Asurans.

Vala,

Comment

agreed also

Comment

Originally posted by inta View Post
                I loved them both.

But I gotta say I was really expecting the Daedalus or the Apollo to show up and throw down some Asgard tech.
                I mean they can't have gone back to the Milky way just yet... shouldn't they have been there for backup at least?

and shouldn't the wraith fear us now?
                i was wondering the same thing. for a while, the Daedalus was all about Atlantis and being there as backup. what are these two ships doing? with the Ori gone the MW doesn't need both ships, i think Atlantis has more urgent matters that require the constant backup of a ship. would've really helped in this situation especially!

Comment

Problem is, with the Asgard lasers the Hives would have been shredded too easily.

And always calling the Apollo or Daedalus will become too easy way for the team.

And crashing the Hive into the base was a really nice ending.

John said 1000's of Wraith in one chamber, and there was 100 chambers. Millions of Wraith hatching.

Comment

It was a lot beter than BAMSR. This adds to Wraith plot. We know how they made armies to fight Ancients. It was an amazing episode.

Comment

No in my opinion.

BAMSR'd was the best Atlantis episode ever. It goes right up there with when Annubis attacked earth and the drones were used to take out his fleet.

Comment

I don't know what you people are thinking. BAMSR was THE best episode of SGA. Also, if you don't like technobabble (even though it was all pretty easy to understand and made sense) then maybe you shouldn't watch scifi shows.

Comment

I disagree. I feel there was a huge feeling of danger in BAMSR.

I disagree. For me it was a very dramatic ep.

I think it's hard to compare the eps as they are nothing alike. They are both high quality eps IMO.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

they were both freaking awesome

Comment

Originally posted by ijffdrie View Post
                              they were both freaking awesome
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X