PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Tapping may or may not want a ninth season

Steel_Thunder
October 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM
http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/PostNuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=52&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=36cc28ca1c014e7bc3b0dfe0087f428a

The link to the article is also posted on the main page of gateworld of course, but I just figured I'd put the link above.

I am thinking that if Amanda succeeds in having a baby - and I hope she does as there is nothing I can think of that is worse for a couple than to have a miscarriage - but anyway, assuming she has a successful pregnancy, then I would think that March would be too late for her to start filming for a ninth Stargate SG-1 season even if Sci-Fi wanted it. And even if she does have the baby in time, will she want to be apart from it long enough to make a show?

With both RDA and AT not having time for the show, I think it's time to think that the series is definitely at an end (no ifs or buts). However, hopefully RDA and AT have time to make the movie or movies following the end of the series....

Sam fan
October 13th, 2004, 08:40 AM
I think- luckily now that we have this news most fans would be okay about there not being a season 9- now all of the cast are content. But- in fairness if they really wanted to they could hide or write in Amanda's pregnancy so it's not really her being the cause- I mean if Rick decides he doesn't want to do it that would be a very big factor aswell. But luckily as I said most of the fans I've talked to would be satisfied with 8 being the end- more so now after Amanda's great news.

Warmaster Devilfish
October 13th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Ok i'm gonna play devils advocate a bit here, but does a kid really end everything, i mean i get what you are saying about the march date making filming a problem, but whats to say carter won't get stuck somewhere for a period of time. Granted it would limit the stories, but still, it would get them a series out, maybe bring back jonas or something to fill in the blanks...

Hows about a new sg-1:

Daniel Jackson
Teal'c
Bra'tac
Jonas Quinn
Maybourne (for the first 5 minutes, then teal'c can dismember him just like he always wanted to)

just to round that off btw, congrats to AT, i was fine with season 8 as it stood as the end, but even so, i'd still like to see a season 9. Then again, if they make it bad it'll just over shadow all the good stuff, so i guess ending on a high with 8 could be good. Stick a movie in, show teal'c living life large or something and job done :)

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Hows about a new sg-1:
No thanks. Seriously, if you have to replace half the cast at once in order to keep the show going, it's better to just quit while you're ahead.

Major Fischer
October 13th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Not to point out the obvious, but AT has clearly known about the baby for longer than we have, and the information was still that she was fine with doing another season.

I don't see any reason why this would change just because she's just announced the news.

JediTrilobite
October 13th, 2004, 08:50 AM
No, I don't think that completely replacing SG-1 with new people, even if it is Bre'tac, would be a good idea. It would be like the X-Files all over again. However, Sam could also be expecting, and have an on-base role...

Skydiver
October 13th, 2004, 09:11 AM
there are ways to get around it.

they could hide the pregnancy, come up with and AU sam who happens to be pregnant, sam could take a few eps off, they could start taping late for a sept start instead of july

there ARE ways to get around it. And i'm sure they're all being thought of.

Now if amanda chooses to not participate, good for her.. If they do a s9 without her, i'll either watch or not watch but at the end of the day it's just a tv show...and unless it's 60 minutes, they all run thier course and end eventually

greytop
October 13th, 2004, 09:28 AM
there ARE ways to get around it. And i'm sure they're all being thought of.
For example: Think of the way they worked MS appendix operation in. They made it a part of the story line.

DownFallAngel
October 13th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hows about a new sg-1:

Daniel Jackson
Teal'c
Bra'tac
Jonas Quinn
Maybourne (for the first 5 minutes, then teal'c can dismember him just like he always wanted to)

SG-1 (N) comes up upon Jaffa encamped around the gate.

B: I will go in, and pretend that I am still a jaffa. I know I have used this manuever many a time, and many a time I have been caught, but I SHALL DIE FREE!!!!

T: You are wise Master Bra'tac.

J: I don't think that will work. I think..

B: YOU THINK NOTHING!

D: [shoots maybourne in the face]

Everyone looks at him.

D: Look, we all know we were going to do it anyway. Now lets run around and get to the gate, as the Jaffa have to come over here to find out what that gun shot was. Lets go team.

TechnoBoY
October 13th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I dont see how they couldnt wokr the pregnancy into the show. Carter is getting married ya know. :D

aschen
October 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
:mad: Meh!

Make Sam and Pete have a bebe! They're married! It's not bad for the moral right!

Elite Anubis Guard
October 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM
well it would certainly make a good comedy fanfic!

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2004, 12:24 PM
If the show ends, then so be it. Why does anyone have to be at blame for it ending? Jeez. If it isn't RDA wanting to spend more time with his kids (gosh, why doesn't he just move his family to Vancouver??) it's Amanda being pregnant (they can cover it up!!). Good gad, people, can't we just let the show end gracefully without all the hysterics and rabid machinations? And excuse me, but miscarriage??! Who even considers such a thought??! Just BE HAPPY for Amanda and her hubby and their kidlet-to-be. Sheesh. This is supposed to be a time of CELEBRATION, not doomcasting and finger pointing.

I, for one, am THRILLED that Amanda is preggers and if her ebullience at conventions and her way with people are any indication, she'll be an excellent mom. :)

Shivan
October 13th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I would like to say a few things.

One, Michael Shanks took leave to be with his family more and he is now expecting another child on the way. (He isn't pregnant himself :p)
What happened? He still ended up coming back.

I do believe that Amanda being pregnant will cause a ripple effect so to speak though. For one it happened at a very troubling time. RDA doesn't seem to want to do another season and Amanda Tapping will definitely be away.

But at the same time I was thinking, you guys have most definitely heard about the Official Stargate Magazine. Well, won't a 9th season help boost sales for said magazine?

Another thing that comes to mind now- will they end this season with Amanda being pregnant with Pete's child? Will that be how it ends? Amanda getting married and moving away for a "normal" life? Daniel dying and becoming an ascended one once again? Teal'c returning to his homeworld to fight for control over the Goa'uld with his rebel Jaffa team? And last RDA retiring?

One thing is for sure, whatever happens, it is going to be taking place this season. Get ready for some changes.

Melyanna
October 13th, 2004, 12:37 PM
If the show ends, then so be it. Why does anyone have to be at blame for it ending? Jeez. If it isn't RDA wanting to spend more time with his kids (gosh, why doesn't he just move his family to Vancouver??) it's Amanda being pregnant (they can cover it up!!). Good gad, people, can't we just let the show end gracefully without all the hysterics and rabid machinations? And excuse me, but miscarriage??! Who even considers such a thought??! Just BE HAPPY for Amanda and her hubby and their kidlet-to-be. Sheesh. This is supposed to be a time of CELEBRATION, not doomcasting and finger pointing.

I, for one, am THRILLED that Amanda is preggers and if her ebullience at conventions and her way with people are any indication, she'll be an excellent mom. :)

Amen, Shadow. If the actors are willing to make the commitment to do another season, great. I hope they have a good time making it. If not, great. I hope they have a wonderful time with their families, and with new projects.

I wish people would stop blaming RDA for wanting to spend time with his daughter, or blaming AT for wanting to have a baby. There's no one cause for the uncertainty surrounding SG-1's end. And quite frankly, I think it's rude to blame actors for wanting to have more time for their personal lives. No one blames a manager for wanting to change his schedule in order to be home when his kids get home from school. No one should blame any of the actors for wanting more time with their children, either.

EDIT: And it's bloody unlikely that they've written it into the show. They've wrapped already, and she's probably not showing yet. (First pregnancies tend not to be obvious as early as subsequent ones do. And yes, I know this isn't technically her first, but from the message on her site I got the impression that this is the first she's carried this far.) With her due in mid-March, they could potentially delay a season premiere by a month or two in order to give her more time off. There's absolutely no reason to write the baby into the show. And I'm not even going to get started on the spoilers concerning Pete in the second half of the season.

keshou
October 13th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Well first I'm happy with no season 9...... it's feeling like all signs are pointing to SG-1 being done. Maybe a miniseries or movie down the road.

BUT, if they want to try for a season 9 I think it could be done although the production headaches from working around RDA's schedule and AT's maternity leave will probably be very difficult. So time to bring in some new players to fill the void. This is assuming EVERYONE wants to keep going with the show. I think it might be best if they call it quits with season 8.

Some fleeting thoughts (some of which I posted in another thread somewhere).

* Don't write the pregnancy in. No alien babies (double ick) no Jack or Pete babies. I just don't see that working for this show.

* Use AT's leave as part of a storyline for Sam and the opportunity to bring in someone new for the team -- my choice of course is Adam Baldwin as Col. Dixon :) . We may also need another character.

* Something happens to Jack in Moebius (thus leaving RDA out of most of the first half of season 9). Sam takes a leave of absence from the SGC at the end of season 8 because she's disheartened at Jack's apparent death and her feelings of responsibility on the matter even though there was nothing she could have done. Col. Dixon comes in to head up SG-1 and it takes him awhile to gain Daniel and Tealc's confidence as they, of course, miss Jack's leadership and friendship. Col. Dixon is snarky enough to be interesting and it might be fun to watch him try and lead the team and find out more about him. Maybe Hailey can be a recurring character for SG-1 as the scientific whiz kid.

* A new villain appears, they need Sam's expertise with some new astrophysics challenge, new villain, whatever. It also becomes clear Jack may not be *gasp* really dead. Daniel and Teal'c talk Sam into returning to the SGC but she wants to concentrate on her scientific duties and the puzzle that may lead to Jack's whereabouts. She rejoins the team but Col. Dixon stays on as head of SG-1.

* Long-term story arc for Sam gradually regaining her mojo, etc. with the help of her friends and Col Dixon. She gets some character development. Daniel and Teal'c are challenged by working with Col. Dixon and there'd have to be some new plotlines for them as well.

* RDA gets a lot of time off but can come back for the story arc at the end of the season. IF HE WANTS TO.

I don't know. I'm not crazy about going forward but if they have to deal with these issues at least make *use* of them in the story arcs. I certainly don't think anyone, least of all AT or RDA or anyone else should feel bad about putting their personal life first. I'm overjoyed for AT. They've given 8 years to this show -- that's enough.

:D :D

Catysg1
October 13th, 2004, 01:02 PM
I would like to say a few things.

One, Michael Shanks took leave to be with his family more and he is now expecting another child on the way. (He isn't pregnant himself :p)
What happened? He still ended up coming back.

I do believe that Amanda being pregnant will cause a ripple effect so to speak though. For one it happened at a very troubling time. RDA doesn't seem to want to do another season and Amanda Tapping will definitely be away.

But at the same time I was thinking, you guys have most definitely heard about the Official Stargate Magazine. Well, won't a 9th season help boost sales for said magazine?

Another thing that comes to mind now- will they end this season with Amanda being pregnant with Pete's child? Will that be how it ends? Amanda getting married and moving away for a "normal" life? Daniel dying and becoming an ascended one once again? Teal'c returning to his homeworld to fight for control over the Goa'uld with his rebel Jaffa team? And last RDA retiring?

One thing is for sure, whatever happens, it is going to be taking place this season. Get ready for some changes.

If they end up the show with Sam having Pete's baby ..they would Pi$$ off the majority of the fanbase..( Pete in the majority is not liked at all because he's a plot device and has nothing to do with the show called Stargate SG1)and what a great ending to a sci-fi show that would be ..hey .??!!!! :S :rolleyes: The baby is best left off screen or not be mentionned at all ...don't think it will be too good if they bring that baby arc to the surface .... :rolleyes:

But he (Pete)can go and Play in Atlantis ...I think he may find it interesting to run around after the wraith with his gun and he can do plenty of stake outs in the dark to get some of them at least ;)

Caty :)

aschen
October 13th, 2004, 01:03 PM
If the show ends, then so be it. Why does anyone have to be at blame for it ending?
Everyone needs a scapegoat!

Skydiver
October 13th, 2004, 01:05 PM
is lexa pregnant again? I thought they just had one daughter but how i'm reading some posts there's another one on the way???? or did i read ti wrong???

anyway, to hades with the show. Let them end it. Family is forever and if any of these actors want to take time to be with or have a family, go for it.

Just the same, if they want to balance and have the family angle written into the show, good for them.

It's thier lives and i feel that we should respect their choices.

keshou
October 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM
is lexa pregnant again? I thought they just had one daughter but how i'm reading some posts there's another one on the way???? or did i read ti wrong???

I think people may not realize the baby has been born. According to the andromedatv website...

9/22/2004
Congratulations Lexa and Michael!
It is our great pleasure to announce that Lexa Doig and her husband, Michael Shanks, welcomed daughter Mia Tabitha Shanks into the world on September 13. Mia weighed seven pounds, two ounces at birth. Mother and baby are doing great; Mia is the couple's first child. We offer our best wishes to Lexa, Michael and Mia on this happy occasion!

Or if Lexa already has another one on the way she'd be setting some kind of record!

anyway, to hades with the show. Let them end it. Family is forever and if any of these actors want to take time to be with or have a family, go for it.
Just the same, if they want to balance and have the family angle written into the show, good for them.
It's thier lives and i feel that we should respect their choices.

Exactly, it's about respecting their choices. Maybe AT really wants to have a baby and come back to the show. Maybe she'd rather call it quits. We don't know *what* she wants. I think it would be wonderful if they decide to move on to other projects and to spend time with their families.

It's a TV show. In a few more years we won't even be able to remember all the episode names. :p

jantreeuk1
October 13th, 2004, 01:26 PM
To Skydiver no Lexa isn't I think you'll find they are refering to the fact that MS has decided to be a house dad while Lexa films Andromeda so he won't make SG8 in November.
Shadowmatt I think you have misunderstood about the mention of a miscarriage no-one is wishing that on Amanda but she did say in her message that she, very sadly, had suffered two in the last 14 months, so everyone is wishing her well for this pregnancy to be alright.

And here's my plan send Daniel and Teal'c to Atlantis for the first few episodes of Season 9 which would perfectly explain the absence of RDA and AT, they could even film a few close ups of contacting Earth at a later date to bring it up to speed. Teal'c meeting a Wraith could be interesting.
jan t

Major Tyler
October 13th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Congratulations Amanda, you're gonna make a great mummy!That's creepy! That's like saying someone would look great in a coffin! ;)

Major Fischer
October 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM
That's creepy! That's like saying someone would look great in a coffin!

So who wants to hit him?

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Shadowmaat I think you have misunderstood about the mention of a miscarriage no-one is wishing that on Amanda but she did say in her message that she, very sadly, had suffered two in the last 14 months, so everyone is wishing her well for this pregnancy to be alright.
Maybe. Still don't see why it needs to be mentioned and it makes an especially poor transition from the "there probably won't be a season 9 now" thought.

It also doesn't change the fact that the title of the thread is rude and misleading. Amanda may be the cause of there being no S9? Because she's pregnant?? Maybe TPTB decided enough was enough. Maybe the other actors decided enough was enough. Maybe it was a GROUP decision and isn't the blame of any one particular person. And so what if it is? Last time I checked, the actors were allowed to have personal lives.

Yes, everyone says they would love to go on and do another season. They ALWAYS say that. It's the PC thing to do, especially when it involves your paycheck and public image.

I think folks should just be happy and accept that things happen. Move on...

Andy867
October 13th, 2004, 02:30 PM
You know, it wouldnt take much for Carter to skip a 9th season, seeing as how Daniel was gone for most of Season 6, but still appeared. Perhaps they could play in the pregnancy to where she is forced to go on maternity leave, but stops in now and then with the baby, in which RDA plays off a whole new side of himself. Jonas Quinn could come back into play in the series perhaps (more of wishful thinking by my g/f than anything :) )

Major Fischer
October 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Am I the only finding the tenor of this thread mildly disturbing? Surely if there is or is not a season nine it's likely not because or despite of her pregnancy. Actors and shows work around pregancies all the time.

And doesn't this verg on getting a bit too much into her personal life? Suggesting that it might be effecting her work or the entire francise?

Historywiz
October 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM
there are watys to get around it. they could make it so that her and pete are having a baby and she could get some time off. :)

Andy867
October 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Can you imagine the kind of stuff RDA/O'Neill would pull with the idea of Carter bringing in the little one to the SGC:)

Who wants to play "Hide the Baby" (O'Neill to Daniel: Which planet did you take the baby to again??")

Sam fan
October 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Am I the only finding the tenor of this thread mildly disturbing? Surely if there is or is not a season nine it's likely not because or despite of her pregnancy. Actors and shows work around pregancies all the time.

And doesn't this verg on getting a bit too much into her personal life? Suggesting that it might be effecting her work or the entire francise?

exactly- whatever happens will happen- no one's to blame- "hey we blame you- your having a normal life!" lol. there aremany things that could cause no ninth season but amanda did say in her opost that they have wrapped filming 8 and no-one knows if they are filming another seson or not so she owuld be perfectly happy to be pregnant and work- so i think we should just wait and see what happens and maybe people should take a pill that chills. lol.

And whoever said about the coffin/mummy comment i'm very confused, lol.

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Thank you, MF. I'm not liking the sound of it, either, and I hope it's just a matter of people not thinking about what they're saying. I'm also not keen on the various wild ideas people are coming up with in order to try and force the show to continue. Let it go, gang, just let it go. RDA wants- and deserves- time off, Amanda should be allowed time to herself/her growing family, too. Why should we force either or both of them to continue just because some of us WANT it to continue?

Personally, I think it would be a bad idea for the show to go on. Let it end gracefully instead of in sputters and starts with ridiculous contortions, substitutions and blatant cover-ups.

We've had six to eight good seasons (depending on your views), isn't that enough?? Can't we be happy with what we've been given instead of constantly demanding more, more MORE! and coming up with wilder and more desperate ideas on how to force it continue?

I love the show, but I have no problem with it ending at eight seasons and I wish all the actors and crew the best of luck with the rest of their lives/careers.

Ugly Pig
October 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I love the show, but I have no problem with it ending at eight seasons and I wish all the actors and crew the best of luck with the rest of their lives/careers.
Amen. I mean, SG-1 is the second-longest running American science fiction series ever. It's not like we can say that it ended prematurely, should season 8 be the last. And we still have Atlantis and the potential for SG-1 to return in movie form (and maybe even appear on Atlantis on occasion, who knows!).

Andy867
October 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM
For me, I am just wanting to have TPTB tie up some unresolved issues, like the Furling and where they have been the past 8 years, but also like the ship in Grace, that kind of thing. Not like the little trivial things, but the major plots that have been unresolved.

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2004, 02:56 PM
For me, I am just wanting to have TPTB tie up some unresolved issues, like the Furling and where they have been the past 8 years, but also like the ship in Grace, that kind of thing. Not like the little trivial things, but the major plots that have been unresolved.
They've never done it before now, despite all the "this could be the last season"s, what makes you think they'd do it if they were given yet ANOTHER "last season"?

keshou
October 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM

I found the TITLE of the thread to be rather inappropriate because it suggests something that is totally unfounded in fact. If there's no season 9 I assume it will be the result of many factors.

I think throwing around suggestions for how they could work around AT's time off - IF they all want to go on with the show is a pretty natural result of the announcement. Some of the discussion seems a little personal but AT did choose to let her fans know the circumstances regarding her situation and went into way more detail than I would have. Perhaps people feel more free to discuss it because of that but taking the high road is always a good choice.

I'm ready for the show to go out with a bang in season 8 and call it quits but I understand not everyone feels that way. I don't think it matters if people come up with ideas for putting together another season. Kind of like writing bad fanfic I guess.

Maybe they'll make an announcement soon and we can all move on.

:)

eye of botox
October 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM

It's a TV show. In a few more years we won't even be able to remember all the episode names. :p

True, too true. It's been, and continues to be, a great show. If it ends, well, I'll be a little sad, but I'll survive. I think we all forget just how many hours the actors work during their production season. 10-14 hour days are a b!tch besides learning lines, fittings and everything else that goes on.

If the actors want to spend time with their families, it is none, I repeat, none of our business. They may be celebrities, but they also happen to be people trying to get through life like all the rest of us and I dare anyone to comment on the decision to spend more time with their loved ones. (I too read Successories posters, so I know)

Maybe I sound a little cranky, well I am. If S9 happens, great, if not, well I'm sure SciFi will do their darndest to get us to looooovee Battlestar Gallactica and SGA.

And we'll always have syndication and dvds...ooh, and fanfic, and vids and cons and.... you get the idea.

Major Tyler
October 13th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Let's just be happy for Amanda, instead of worrying how it affect us.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, it's just my opinion.

Major Fischer
October 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM

Here here *claps*

greytop
October 13th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Ditto.

Skydiver
October 13th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I guess my point is

if they want to find a way around it, they will.

if they don't, they won't

if amanda wants to do s9, she will

if she doesn't, she won't

The only folks involved in this decision are her, alan and TPTB. They'll make it and our 'place' is to respect it.

I support her whatever she wants to do.

There is no blame. things are as they are.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
October 13th, 2004, 06:06 PM
i might just sound wierd here, but even if they do stop showing sg-1's, they'll still have atlantis. and from recent polls and things, it's looks like they're in no trouble at all, as far as cancelation is concerned. it would just be like old times: showing 1 episode a week, not 2. i could handle that. i mean, they could still have visits from sg-1 characters too. :)

Andy867
October 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I would find it very interesting that in a future season to have Carter and McKay work together again, or even have Amanda direct an episode that really compliments McKay on his brilliance. The Storm and Home really didnt help him shine to were he would make a groundbreaking discovery or revelation.

NightGloom
October 13th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Right now, I really don't care that much if there's a season 9. I used to, but then I realized that it's a fictional show and even though the characters in the show are saving the world basically each week, the actors are just making it entertaining. In doing this, they put in long, hard hours spent away from their family. After 8 years, anyone would get tired of that and want a little bit of time to themselves. Geez, I can barely make it through a few months of play practice. I don't think anyone should be trying to put the blame on any one actor, if anyone is to blame it's good ol' Father Time.

Steel_Thunder
October 13th, 2004, 06:44 PM
And excuse me, but miscarriage??! Who even considers such a thought??!

You didn't read the article did you? She's had previous miscarriages. All the more to hope she DOESN'T have a miscarriage. *crosses fingers for her*

ShadowMaat
October 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM
You didn't read the article did you? She's had previous miscarriages. All the more to hope she DOESN'T have a miscarriage. *crosses fingers for her*
As I already said, it doesn't mean you have to mention it and the ordering of your comments bothered me. As does the title of this thread. It will absolutely NOT be Amanda's fault if the show doesn't get renewed, just as it won't be RDA's fault. Implying that Amanda will be the cause? IMO, that's just rude, to say nothing of wrong and misleading.

But I digress. I've had my say on the matter and I've had my fill of this thread. Enough is enough. End of story.

Steel_Thunder
October 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Maybe. Still don't see why it needs to be mentioned and it makes an especially poor transition from the "there probably won't be a season 9 now" thought.

It also doesn't change the fact that the title of the thread is rude and misleading. Amanda may be the cause of there being no S9? Because she's pregnant?? Maybe TPTB decided enough was enough. Maybe the other actors decided enough was enough. Maybe it was a GROUP decision and isn't the blame of any one particular person. And so what if it is? Last time I checked, the actors were allowed to have personal lives.

Yes, everyone says they would love to go on and do another season. They ALWAYS say that. It's the PC thing to do, especially when it involves your paycheck and public image.

I think folks should just be happy and accept that things happen. Move on...

I'm sorry you consider the thread rude. Perhaps I should run them by you before I choose to post one? :p However, it is not misleading. I put a keyword in the title of this thread. MAY. The reason why I put that in there is because people will have their opinions. Some will blame her, and some won't. Therefore, I think the title to this thread is very much needed and should be welcomed as at least I'm leaving it up to the people to decide and I'm not making a "rude" statement....

Regardless of whatever the MAYBE is (group, AT's fault, etc), it is all opinion for now. Until someone knows for a fact what the cause, reason, or simple excuse is for Season 9 not coming to light, it is going to be to each your own opinion. Therefore, thanks for pointing out what the reason might be, but I believe it was a given what it MIGHT be attributed to. The point is, this thread was simply invented to give people a place to discuss those opinions.

If I'm reading your post right, I believe it sounds like you are offended by some of our opinions. I am sorry this is so. Everyone is always worried about offending someone. But if you are offended, you will simply post your thoughts in a KIND way (yours seemed just a bit spiteful) and let it be. That is the un-"rude" thing to do.

(and obviously this post applies to the post above as well ...)

Steel_Thunder
October 13th, 2004, 07:17 PM
I found the TITLE of the thread to be rather inappropriate because it suggests something that is totally unfounded in fact. If there's no season 9 I assume it will be the result of many factors.

I think throwing around suggestions for how they could work around AT's time off - IF they all want to go on with the show is a pretty natural result of the announcement. Some of the discussion seems a little personal but AT did choose to let her fans know the circumstances regarding her situation and went into way more detail than I would have. Perhaps people feel more free to discuss it because of that but taking the high road is always a good choice.

I'm ready for the show to go out with a bang in season 8 and call it quits but I understand not everyone feels that way. I don't think it matters if people come up with ideas for putting together another season. Kind of like writing bad fanfic I guess.

Maybe they'll make an announcement soon and we can all move on.

:)

Taking the high road? I'm guessing you're the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Of course, we all realized the point of picking on him - the fact that he was a person who lied and wasn't worthy of the second term he received (due to other lies that were found out that had more to do with him being in office and the fact that a president should be honest to the people he was hired to work for of course...).

Now, whether people like it or not, if a person chooses to be a star in this world, they have the right to reserve what is known and not known. What it doesn't mean is that people have to be polite about that person's personal life. First off, some of those stars lead very disturbing lives. Those that cheat on their wives, send a horrible message to children and other people in general. Talking about their lives hopefully makes them embarrassed and hopefully they choose not to do it again.

However, as for people being offended by me bringing AT having a child into such a discussion as to whether she is going to be the cause of there being no season 9 ... I say why are you offended? I'm not stating that she's a horrible person for it. In fact, I didn't exactly go into detail about my own opinion at all. I was simply bringing the situation to light so that people could discuss about it.

To clarify my own personal opinion, I think the combination of RDA and AT's personal lives are going to make sure that season nine doesn't happen. For those who have an opinion about whether the show having a ninth season matters, I say that as of right now I think it is not a bad thing, but nor is it good. I'll miss the show, but they apparently are ready to move on with their own personal lives. Therefore, the only real opinions that existed in this thread weren't mine.

The point is, I was not intentionally rude about this subject, nor when I re-read my first post do I think I was rude. For those who I offended, I am sorry. But I am only offering an apology out of kindness, not because I think it is deserved. It isn't my fault that there are people out there that have to assume something negative when they read a post. Nor is it my fault that they feel they have to assume anything that wasn't read. If you read something and try to read between the lines which weren't written about, your bound to get the wrong idea. My advice? Ask questions before you jump to conclusions... ;)

terraatlantus
October 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
A.T. must do a season 9 or there'll be no sg1 with RDA waffling.

suck it up AT suck it up for your fans! or just start filming later!

remember the actress for ayana grauer also had a baby on set so u can do it too

Madeleine
October 13th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Now, whether people like it or not, if a person chooses to be a star in this world, they have the right to reserve what is known and not known. What it doesn't mean is that people have to be polite about that person's personal life. First off, some of those stars lead very disturbing lives. Those that cheat on their wives, send a horrible message to children and other people in general. Talking about their lives hopefully makes them embarrassed and hopefully they choose not to do it again

What's any of that got to do with Amanda Tapping? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Actors may be - to an extent - in the public domain, but they are still HUMAN BEINGS and deserve to be treated with a bit of decency. To argue that because *some* actors are gits it's fair game to speculate and point fingers and gossip and insinuate about someone like Amanda Tapping is spurious and quite upsetting.

Madeleine
October 13th, 2004, 08:20 PM
... as for people being offended by me bringing AT having a child into such a discussion as to whether she is going to be the cause of there being no season 9 ... I say why are you offended?

... I was simply bringing the situation to light so that people could discuss about it.

It's in poor taste. To take what should be a happy event for all involved and find a negative side to it, and a title that's loaded with implication of 'blame' is in poor taste.

Why does the situation need to be discussed anyway? We're all bright enough to work out that Amanda's pregnancy could affect SG-1 in a number of ways, but it's all up to HER. Speculating about it is inevitable I suppose, but *discussing* it? That's hardly appropriate IMO given that Amanda and Alan and all the other people involved in any decisions are quite possibly not yet in a position to discuss it all themselves.

I'm going to try and think of a nicer title for this thread.

Major Fischer
October 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
I'm going to try and think of a nicer title for this thread.

There is no way to make this nicer Madeleine. It's a tasteless title for a generally tasteless discussion that the redeaming parts of could be carried on in other threads.

:(

tara3583
October 13th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I think imho that Amanda would have told her
fans if she wanted to bow out after s8 to
spend time with the baby.
The way her message came across to me was that
she along with all the other cast and crew
are waiting, maybe tptb are reworking contracts
to let her have her baby and spend a litle
time with it.

Madeleine
October 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
There is no way to make this nicer Madeleine. It's a tasteless title for a generally tasteless discussion that the redeaming parts of could be carried on in other threads.

:(

Yeah, tasteless. I changed it anyway, I think it's a bit more neutral now. I don't like the way this discussion has gone; I'm hoping a title change might help things stay respectful.

Daniel Jackson
October 13th, 2004, 10:17 PM
http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/PostNuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=52&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0&POSTNUKESID=36cc28ca1c014e7bc3b0dfe0087f428a

The link to the article is also posted on the main page of gateworld of course, but I just figured I'd put the link above.

I am thinking that if Amanda succeeds in having a baby - and I actually hope she does as there is nothing I can think of that is worse for a couple than to have a miscarriage - but anyway, assuming she has a successful pregnancy, then I would think that March would be too late for her to start filming for a ninth Stargate SG-1 season even if Sci-Fi wanted it. And even if she does have the baby in time, will she want to be apart from it long enough to make a show?

With both RDA and AT not having time for the show, I think it's time to think that the series is definitely at an end (no ifs or buts). However, hopefully RDA and AT have time to make the movie or movies following the end of the series....
They can always write her pregnancy into the show. :p Maybe the final Season could be SGC based with a General O'Neill and Carter pregnant with an alien baby! :eek: OK, that might be too much... yeah, time for SG-1 to end, then after Tapping has her baby, they can do a movie! :D

Andy867
October 14th, 2004, 01:08 AM
TO me, the title would be depicted as Amanda Tapping and her future in the series.

Steel_Thunder
October 14th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah, tasteless. I changed it anyway, I think it's a bit more neutral now. I don't like the way this discussion has gone; I'm hoping a title change might help things stay respectful.

What exactly wasn't respectful besides supposively the title (which I still saw no problem with)??

Steel_Thunder
October 14th, 2004, 01:37 AM
What's any of that got to do with Amanda Tapping? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Actors may be - to an extent - in the public domain, but they are still HUMAN BEINGS and deserve to be treated with a bit of decency. To argue that because *some* actors are gits it's fair game to speculate and point fingers and gossip and insinuate about someone like Amanda Tapping is spurious and quite upsetting.

Speculate, discuss, gossip ... simply choice of words when it comes to talking about someone. It IS all the same and it upsets me that you people think those WORDS (which by themselves meant no bad connotation) were upsetting. What kind of world are we living in when choosing the wrong synonym presents a bad taste in the posters mouth? Now perhaps someone found something distasteful other than what I posted, but obviously the title was a big issue.

“May be cause” for where I’m from are NOT harsh words nor connotation. A cloud may be cause of rain falling on a field, but that doesn’t mean it is bad. Rain equals people dancing in it and crops growing. I fail to see why you people obviously LIKE to find bad connotation …. You people are being simply distasteful, not that title …

Steel_Thunder
October 14th, 2004, 01:38 AM
They can always write her pregnancy into the show. :p Maybe the final Season could be SGC based with a General O'Neill and Carter pregnant with an alien baby! :eek: OK, that might be too much... yeah, time for SG-1 to end, then after Tapping has her baby, they can do a movie! :D

Quiet Daniel, I think it's the alien idea that people are having a problem with. ;)

sueKay
October 14th, 2004, 01:40 AM
All I'm going to say on this subject is

Good for AT!

If she quits, I wish her all the best. She and Alan deserve happiness.

If she decides to stay on, I wish her all the best.

It's AT's life and it's AT's decision. Who are we to second guess her personal life?

Anyway

Either's fine by me.

On the subject of working around the pregnancy if she stays on.

Roxann Dawson of Voyager was pregnant during the shows fourth season, just as the P/T plot arc was being resolved. They worked around that, so the option of Season 9 with Sam is there.

Again, it's AT's choice, and I hope the majority of the fanbase support her.

I certainly will!

Steel_Thunder
October 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Good for AT!

It's AT's life and it's AT's decision. Who are we to second guess her personal life?

Anyway

Either's fine by me.

Roxann Dawson of Voyager was pregnant during the shows fourth season, just as the P/T plot arc was being resolved. They worked around that, so the option of Season 9 with Sam is there.

I certainly will!

Btw, people keep stressing it is her choice.... the reason why she may be the CAUSE, is because RDA ... by himself.... wouldn't have been the cause ... But with AT possibly (note the open end to that), she, since she is the leader of the SG-1 team now, would definitely put an end to the series.

That idea has nothing to add against AT. It simply states that without AT, there would be no SG-1. Of course it is her choice, but why do you feel you need to state the obvious? It simply means that AT is the probable cause of any ninth season not existing. The only reason why it has bad connotation is because so many of us will miss the show. But that aside - and it SHOULD be pushed aside - the negative connotation just isn't there.

Ancient 1
October 14th, 2004, 02:38 AM
[QUOTE= Hows about a new sg-1:

Daniel Jackson
Teal'c
Bra'tac
Jonas Quinn
QUOTE]

Too many aliens and not enough military presense; one too many "eggheads."

keshou
October 14th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Taking the high road? I'm guessing you're the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Of course, we all realized the point of picking on him - the fact that he was a person who lied and wasn't worthy of the second term he received (due to other lies that were found out that had more to do with him being in office and the fact that a president should be honest to the people he was hired to work for of course...).
I'm sorry but how did "taking the high road" cause you to GUESS that I'm the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Talk about "reading between the lines". Clinton is an elected official who was representing and governing our nation. Amanda Tapping is not. Clinton's (or any President's) actions affect millions, perhaps billions of lives. AT's do not. And by the way AT has done nothing wrong. Clinton did.

I never had any problem with the discussions of how Clinton's actions showed him to be a man of poor character who perhaps shouldn't be leading the country. I personally never voted for him. I DID think the daily news bulletins about the cigar and where he put it and all the scandalous details of the spot on the dress on the nightly news crossed the line of tasteful discussion many times. And yes, I always try to take the high road in giving the man filling the role of what is arguably the toughest job in the world the respect he deserves for taking on the position. I try never to say anything about someone in a post on the internet that I wouldn't be willing to say to them in person. Don't always succeed but I try. So if that's the type of person you're accusing me of being I plead guilty.

Now, whether people like it or not, if a person chooses to be a star in this world, they have the right to reserve what is known and not known. What it doesn't mean is that people have to be polite about that person's personal life. First off, some of those stars lead very disturbing lives. Those that cheat on their wives, send a horrible message to children and other people in general. Talking about their lives hopefully makes them embarrassed and hopefully they choose not to do it again.
Stars don't always get a break on what is known or not known. Every offhand comment can be quoted and spread across the internet in seconds. However that's part of being in the public eye and I'm sure they know that. That doesn't make it right to discuss every detail of their private lives when they are going to great lengths to try and keep those details private. There's a difference between happening to be in a restaurant and seeing a star make a fool of themselves and chasing them around with a camera hoping to catch them making a fool of themselves.

And I guess people don't HAVE to be polite. But being polite will perhaps embarrass the people who aren't being polite and they will hopefully choose not to do it again (using your words). BTW, in my opinion, acting in a civilized and polite manner also sends an important message to children and other people in general.

The point is, I was not intentionally rude about this subject, nor when I re-read my first post do I think I was rude. For those who I offended, I am sorry. But I am only offering an apology out of kindness, not because I think it is deserved. It isn't my fault that there are people out there that have to assume something negative when they read a post. Nor is it my fault that they feel they have to assume anything that wasn't read. If you read something and try to read between the lines which weren't written about, your bound to get the wrong idea. My advice? Ask questions before you jump to conclusions... ;)
I thought the title of the thread WAS rude and obviously several other people did also. The first thing I thought when I saw it was - oh jeez, people are going to be blaming AT. I will accept your explanation that you weren't being intentionally rude because you say you weren't. If you weren't being intentionally rude then IMO your original thread title was poorly worded.

I believe I posted earlier in the thread that it was probably a natural result of the announcement that people would discuss the affect this might have on season 9 or the storylines for season 9. Heck, Lexa Doig's pregnancy on Andromeda caused them to bring in a whole new character to fill the void. Season 9 has always been iffy due to the high costs of producing the series and the STAR of the show's publicly stated desire to retire. A combination of factors will probably figure into the final decision.

Madeleine
October 14th, 2004, 04:10 AM
What exactly wasn't respectful besides supposively the title (which I still saw no problem with)??

I'll PM you.

Skydiver
October 14th, 2004, 04:49 AM
If s9 was definite, then scifi would have announced it. since they haven't, i think it's obvious that it's still up in the air.

and if it doesn't happen, it could not happen for a multitude of reasons. AT may not want to do it, RDA may bow out, MS may decide that he likes being Mr. Mom, CJ has cancelled some con appearances to focus on family, maybe he also wants to take time off.

placing blame in any one place is silly and futile.It's been 4 years since MS left the show, three since Corin was let go, three since MS came back....and folks still haven't figure out who to 'blame' for the show changing.

I'm willing to bet that TPTB knew that amanda was trying to have a child....in the movie and tv industry, that's not just something you choose to do on your own (actresses have even had 'no pregnancy' clauses in their contracts)

She and her husband have obviously been trying for quite some time, so her having a child has been a possibility for over a year...and it's something that's finally come to fruition for her.

I wish her and Alan nothing but happiness.....just as i'd wish ANY of the actors nothing but the best should they decide to focus on their lives.

Eventually, Stargate will end. It may be this spring, it may be next spring, it may be the spring of 2006. It WILL end. And when it does end it won't be because of one person's decision. It will be because several people all agree to let it go.

greytop
October 14th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Eventually, Stargate will end. It may be this spring, it may be next spring, it may be the spring of 2006. It WILL end. And when it does end it won't be because of one person's decision. It will be because several people all agree to let it go.

I believe that how ST:NG decided to end their run. So I do agree with you, Skydiver.

ibwolf
October 14th, 2004, 05:03 AM
If s9 was definite, then scifi would have announced it. since they haven't, i think it's obvious that it's still up in the air.
By the same logic, if it definately would not happen, the production company would have announced it by now. Absolutely no point in keeping it a secret.

Right now I bet SciFi and MGM are talking things over. Money, number of shows, etc. And MGM is probably talking to the actors, seeing how much it will take to sign them on for one more season. Also looking into what story possibilities are available for season nine and so forth.

Atlantis is probably making this more complicated, since they don't want to sink a deal for another season of Atlantis because of disputes about SG-1.

SG-1 could continue minus any one character. But, of course, if two of them want to bow out (say RDA and Tapping) then the show is done for. They'll have no choice but to end it.

ibwolf
October 14th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I believe that how ST:NG decided to end their run. So I do agree with you, Skydiver.
TNG was a bit different. They had not one, but two spinoffs sold at that point, and they wanted to start making TNG movies. There was no doubt that they could have sold an eight season of TNG.

Kaloo
October 14th, 2004, 05:39 AM
I only read the first couple of pages and I just have to say Spoilers are everywhere. Please not so many without warning

Vyse
October 14th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Spoilers
Spoilers
Spoilers
Spoilers

RDA is more of a problem for the show than AT. They can write it in the stories, lot's of shows have otten around this situation succesfully, look at DS9. I think it would be a good idea for Sam and Pete to have a baby, if they stay together. I know ALOT of you are going to hate this, but I really don't have a problem with Pete himself, but the way it happened. One episode you meet him, next episode fifth pretends to be him, then the second time you see the real Pete, they get engaged. They can write stories with Sam struggling whether or not to go off world when she has a baby child, thta would be great. If they can get RDA to commit the same amount of time he's commiting now there can definetly be a season 9, since he's now General and you don't have to see him all the time. Congrats AT!

ibwolf
October 14th, 2004, 06:04 AM
They can write stories with Sam struggling whether or not to go off world when she has a baby child, thta would be great.
No, that would be incredably boring and absolutely not what this show is about. I'd rather they cancel it then change the nature of the show to that degree.

Vyse
October 14th, 2004, 06:06 AM
No, that would be incredably boring and absolutely not what this show is about. I'd rather they cancel it then change the nature of the show to that degree.

I disagree, I think it would be a great sub plot. SG-1 is also about character development, not just action scenes.

ibwolf
October 14th, 2004, 06:15 AM
I disagree, I think it would be a great sub plot. SG-1 is also about character development, not just action scenes.
Yes, but this would be getting to the point where I would describe it as 'trite.'

Vyse
October 14th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Yes, but this would be getting to the point where I would describe it as 'trite.'

Once again I disagree with you. I'm not saying every episode has to be about a baby, but one or two would be good. Of course you could always have Carter working on some new weapon or something temporarily, until she is able to be reassigned to active duty. I don't think it's 'trite', as CJ said, SG-1 hasn't reached it's plateau yet, once it does they should definetly end the series on a high note.

ibwolf
October 14th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Once again I disagree with you. I'm not saying every episode has to be about a baby, but one or two would be good. Of course you could always have Carter working on some new weapon or something temporarily, until she is able to be reassigned to active duty. I don't think it's 'trite', as CJ said, SG-1 hasn't reached it's plateau yet, once it does they should definetly end the series on a high note.
Yes, we clearly disagree here, and I think it behoves me to express my opinion on the matter in more detail.

It's worth asking 'what is SG-1 about?'

Is it about Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel? No, not as such!
It is (or was) about a team of explorers who went out into the wilderness of the galaxy. Seeking priceless treasures (technology in this case) and doing battle with evil. I've boiled it way down, but that is what the show was about.

Of course that is going to involve the team members characters quite a bit, and there are going to be individual episodes that dont exactly fill the mold. That's just television.

However if you give Sam a baby, the show is all of a sudden about 'mom going to war' (I use the term 'war' very loosely.) That is a whole other concept and a major departure from the show.

You just CAN NOT ignore such an important event in a characters life after spending just one or two episodes on it. It would be extremely unbelievable for her to just 'get over it' and go on as before.

So in conclusion, I'll restate that I'd rather see the show quit while it's ahead, then to be dragged down into this type of drivel. (Ok, maybe drivel is a bit harsh, but that's just me).

the dancer of spaz
October 14th, 2004, 06:17 PM
For example: Think of the way they worked MS appendix operation in. They made it a part of the story line.

Heh heh. Appendix operation... Pregnancy... Appendix operation... Pregnancy...

Which one is harder to write into the storyline? Hmm... :D

Just kidding, it just made me laugh, so I thought I'd be a wench and comment on it. :P

Asgard
October 14th, 2004, 09:34 PM
To Skydiver no Lexa isn't I think you'll find they are refering to the fact that MS has decided to be a house dad while Lexa films Andromeda so he won't make SG8 in November.
jan t

Has stargate not wrapped filming for season 8 yet? if not when do they?

If season 8 has not finished, is Shanks filming less? where did you read this?

Skydiver
October 15th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Season 8 wrapped a couple of weeks ago.

there is certainly still stuff going on at rainmaker (the effects and the such) and probably various bits of work at bridge, but i believe principal photography (ie the main cast's parts) is done

gwangung
October 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Season 8 wrapped a couple of weeks ago.

there is certainly still stuff going on at rainmaker (the effects and the such) and probably various bits of work at bridge, but i believe principal photography (ie the main cast's parts) is done

Then I'd say that Lexa would be REAL p***ed if MS didn't become a house husband at this point. :p

Andy867
October 15th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Apparently most of you are not aware that this is NOT Michael Shank's first child. He is actually a father to former girlfriend Vaitiare Bandera (Shau'ri from SG-1), so he is definitely not new to fatherhood. I am sure that once SG-1 wraps up, he will have more time to spend with Lexa and their child, but he has considered doing atlantis in both character and directing/writing episodes.

But in regards to Amanda, its not like Allan is a new thing to stargate and their shooting schedule... They could easily play him on the show... again

jckfan55
October 16th, 2004, 10:51 AM
My original opinion about season 9 stands. If they can work out a way to keep up the quality, I'm all for it. If it doesn't work out for *whatever reason,* well, it's had a good run. I'm just happy for AT and her husband. I think it just shows what a neat person she is that she cares about "letting down" her fans by scaling back her activities. Hey, we'll live. The important thing is to take care of yourself.

jckfan55
October 16th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Oh, and I'd be happy if there *is* a S9, for them to work in Carter however it works out.

Skydiver
October 16th, 2004, 11:00 AM
If there is no season 9, it won't be because of any one person's decision.

Let's take amanda out of the equation and say that whether or not there's a s9 depended solely on whether or not rda chose to play. You know it's not solely rda's decision....mgm & scifi first made the choice to say 'ok, rick, it's all up to you' first.

If she chooses to come back ( presuming there IS a s9) then the writers will find a way around it. If she chooses to take time off, then the writers will find a way around it.

Whatever happens is out of our hands

Ugly Pig
October 16th, 2004, 11:28 AM
He is actually a father to former girlfriend Vaitiare Bandera (Shau'ri from SG-1), so he is definitely not new to fatherhood.
Uuuuhh... Are you saying MS is his former girlfriends father? :eek:

:p

Skydiver
October 16th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Uuuuhh... Are you saying MS is his former girlfriends father? :eek:

:p

LOL

When Shau'ri was pregnant in Secrets, it was because the actress was pregnant. And Daniel was written out of Matter of Time to allow MS to be wiht his girlfriend and new baby.

it's the same reason Jack got shot in Spirits. Originally, the arrow was supposed tomiss, but April gave birth to wylie, so Jack got shot, Sam got command of the mission (and some of jack's lines. sam is unusually snarky in that eps) to allow RDA to take the week off

Just like MS was written out of nemesis to accomodate MS real life health crisis (and daniel was given appendicitis because of MS')

sometimes art does immitate life :)

Major Fischer
October 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
it's the same reason Jack got shot in Spirits. Originally, the arrow was supposed tomiss, but April gave birth to wylie, so Jack got shot, Sam got command of the mission (and some of jack's lines. sam is unusually snarky in that eps) to allow RDA to take the week off

Hehe, never knew that. Will have to watch Spirits next time it cycles through scifi to see if I can spot which ones should have been RDA's lines.

Sarcazmo The Clown
October 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM
OOH OOH OOH....I'VE GOT AN IDEA!!!!

She's gonna marry Pete, right? There gonna do all those mommy and daddy things together, right? Isn't that where babies come from???

But she'd have to give up going offworld for a while... not like they're doing much of that lately anyhow...
We could make the kid the SGC mascott!

Sarcazmo The Clown
October 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
So who wants to hit him?
Oh, let ME do it, Maj Fischer

NightGloom
October 16th, 2004, 12:07 PM
We could make the kid the SGC mascott!

Oh the poor kid! But he/she could play hi-tech hide and seek and hide on different planets. I'm sure he/she could make some alien friends.

Sarcazmo The Clown
October 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Well, I agree that being pregnant is going to effect her life. (don't really know, having never been pregnant myself, I could be wrong....*rolls eyes*)

I'm not too happy with people talking about how Amanda's pregnancy (and OBVIOUS happiness from what I've heard) is going to definately end the show... None of uf knows that for sure

I think though that it'd be GREAT to have that family dinamic added into the show. We've already seen O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel grow as characters in BIG ways as the show progresses... isn't it time that Sam grew a little too? At least farther than getting a command?
OOOH... bring the kid to the SGC...hmmm breaking some serious security protocols, but hey, when has the SGC worried about ANYTHING SG1 was doing? I dont see the kid going offworld safely for a couple of years... babies have really sensitive immune systems... it'd have to be an emergency before any sane medical professional would let a baby go through the Gate.
I can see, though, having some time at home with the team...maybe when Sam announces she's gonna be a mom...
S:"congratulations, Teal'c, Daniel, Jack" would'nt THAT get his attention?! "...you're gonna be uncles"
D/T: [after a brief moment of shock] Congratulations! [both hug her, Daniel shakes Pete's hand, Teal'c does his little head noddy thing]
J: [thud]

keshou
October 16th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I have a question that's not really related to the ninth season. So I guess I'm off-topic. I'll thwap myself later. ;)

When was the direct-to-DVD movie thing supposed to be filmed? The one supposedly set in season 2.

Wasn't it going to be filmed sometime after season 8 wrapped - between now and next January? Wonder if it's still on or has been put off until after the baby comes.

Ugly Pig
October 16th, 2004, 03:40 PM
When was the direct-to-DVD movie thing supposed to be filmed? The one supposedly set in season 2.
AFAIK, this is completely unknown. And it has never been "set in stone" that it will even happen...

Steel_Thunder
October 16th, 2004, 05:32 PM
I'm sorry but how did "taking the high road" cause you to GUESS that I'm the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Talk about "reading between the lines". Clinton is an elected official who was representing and governing our nation. Amanda Tapping is not. Clinton's (or any President's) actions affect millions, perhaps billions of lives. AT's do not. And by the way AT has done nothing wrong. Clinton did.

Actually, I wasn't reading between the lines, I was trying to verify ... hence get you to clarify between the lines. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said the word guess. As for AT, I never said she had done anything wrong. The whole point to the discussion about people who choose a profession that puts the person out there for everyone to study makes that person liable for what they say and do. At the same time, that means that that person has given up their privacy to some extent and therefore makes what they do available to the public domain for discussion about what they do and might do and why. The reason to this is so that people can end up discussing values while using the public figures actions, how that person might affect things by what they do (like the pregnancy), and other possible topics that might come up since that person's life is partially in public view. People talk about other people all the time. I'm sure you talk about people in your life. So how is choosing who you talk about giving respect? I think it's simply a way of choosing what to talk about. Now how you talk about someone.... that involves respect. If I called AT some dirty words or said some mean things without facts or reasons for saying them, then that would be disrespectful. As it is, I didn't say anything mean about AT.

I never had any problem with the discussions of how Clinton's actions showed him to be a man of poor character who perhaps shouldn't be leading the country. I personally never voted for him. I DID think the daily news bulletins about the cigar and where he put it and all the scandalous details of the spot on the dress on the nightly news crossed the line of tasteful discussion many times. And yes, I always try to take the high road in giving the man filling the role of what is arguably the toughest job in the world the respect he deserves for taking on the position. I try never to say anything about someone in a post on the internet that I wouldn't be willing to say to them in person. Don't always succeed but I try. So if that's the type of person you're accusing me of being I plead guilty.

I don't think you're taking a high road (assuming one even exists), I think you're simply lacking criticism. You mean to say that when performing the "toughest job in the world," you don't think that person performing it might need a little criticism to make sure they stay focused and work with the correct values for living in mind which will allow that person to perform their job more effectively? Then I guess they'll just screw their secretary when they should be thinking about how to get that new environment law passed. By the way, I would have said every word in this thread to Amanda Tapping in person. I saw none of it that she would have gotten upset about.

Stars don't always get a break on what is known or not known. Every offhand comment can be quoted and spread across the internet in seconds. However that's part of being in the public eye and I'm sure they know that. That doesn't make it right to discuss every detail of their private lives when they are going to great lengths to try and keep those details private. There's a difference between happening to be in a restaurant and seeing a star make a fool of themselves and chasing them around with a camera hoping to catch them making a fool of themselves.

Obviously those details on AT's website weren't part of her collection that she wanted to keep private. Why are you treating it like so?

And I guess people don't HAVE to be polite. But being polite will perhaps embarrass the people who aren't being polite and they will hopefully choose not to do it again (using your words). BTW, in my opinion, acting in a civilized and polite manner also sends an important message to children and other people in general.

There is a difference between civilized and polite and overly so. Ever hear of the phrase "too much of a good thing" ? Also, I do believe there are some cases where having to be polite doesn't apply, but this is not one of those moments where I feel I wasn't.

I thought the title of the thread WAS rude and obviously several other people did also. The first thing I thought when I saw it was - oh jeez, people are going to be blaming AT. I will accept your explanation that you weren't being intentionally rude because you say you weren't. If you weren't being intentionally rude then IMO your original thread title was poorly worded.

I never said I was the next Shakespeare, but I don't agree with those who commented against the title and there were many who DIDN'T comment against the title so obviously if it was rude, it wasn't THAT rude.... or perhaps those that didn't comment understood why it wasn't rude which has been what I've been trying to explain all along. And technically, it was aimed at the fact that she might be the cause to no ninth season. I don't feel I need to go over the reasons why again, however, I definitely don't think that pointing that out is rude. I wasn't trying to be mean by stating that there might be a point of view that says she is. But mean or not, it WASN'T rude. I can think of many things that are rude, but the title to this thread certainly wasn't one of them.

I believe I posted earlier in the thread that it was probably a natural result of the announcement that people would discuss the affect this might have on season 9 or the storylines for season 9. Heck, Lexa Doig's pregnancy on Andromeda caused them to bring in a whole new character to fill the void. Season 9 has always been iffy due to the high costs of producing the series and the STAR of the show's publicly stated desire to retire. A combination of factors will probably figure into the final decision.

Of course a combination will result from this, but technically, if it had been AT alone on this with no time to shoot a show to allow the storyline to cover her being missing.... that would most likely kill the show. Therefore, she would be the cause in a sense. Even if none of those factors existed and AT had still gotten pregnant and cause the show to end, I don't think anyone should have blamed her for it. It isn't like she doesn't have the right to have a baby and no one can really aim a birth at the right time. It happens when it happens. So with that fact understood, I fail to see where any rudeness or hostility could come from this. And I'm sure the alien baby idea was a joke, so don't even THINK about bringing that up. :p

Steel_Thunder
October 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Well, I agree that being pregnant is going to effect her life. (don't really know, having never been pregnant myself, I could be wrong....*rolls eyes*)

I'm not too happy with people talking about how Amanda's pregnancy (and OBVIOUS happiness from what I've heard) is going to definately end the show... None of uf knows that for sure

I think though that it'd be GREAT to have that family dinamic added into the show. We've already seen O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel grow as characters in BIG ways as the show progresses... isn't it time that Sam grew a little too? At least farther than getting a command?
OOOH... bring the kid to the SGC...hmmm breaking some serious security protocols, but hey, when has the SGC worried about ANYTHING SG1 was doing? I dont see the kid going offworld safely for a couple of years... babies have really sensitive immune systems... it'd have to be an emergency before any sane medical professional would let a baby go through the Gate.
I can see, though, having some time at home with the team...maybe when Sam announces she's gonna be a mom...
S:"congratulations, Teal'c, Daniel, Jack" would'nt THAT get his attention?! "...you're gonna be uncles"
D/T: [after a brief moment of shock] Congratulations! [both hug her, Daniel shakes Pete's hand, Teal'c does his little head noddy thing]
J: [thud]

Wait, first off, why aren't you happy about it? (or more like, why are you mad about it because I'm not happy about it myself even though I started the thread. I'm more neutral of course.....) and second of all, if you are mad about it, why talk about possibilities ? Perhaps because that is why this thread is here? (then why mention your feelings about talk about her situation at all if you talk about her anyway???)

October 17th, 2004, 08:22 PM
How about taking a 1 year break, that would leave the option open. That's enough time for everyone to figure out the direction of the show. If 1 year is still not enough to rejuvenate and get the show back on track, then they can be sure the show is finally over.

Oh well, just an idea... :)

DarkQuee1
October 17th, 2004, 09:00 PM

You're kidding, right? (Aside from the fact that season 8 has already finished filming, before AT really showed. If there were a ninth, they aren't going to make Sam pregnant when the actress no longer is. )

You think that adding an unnecessary soap opera element would be "growth" for Sam (especially considering how having Pete around has , IMO, regressed her character), but exploring her first command would not be? Command doesn't just mean you get to go through the gate first. We have never seen Sam have to make the tough decisions that Jack has made. We haven't seen her pit her military goals against her science goals. We haven't seen her have to turn away from what her emotions are demanding she do to follow through with what her head is telling her to do. In fact, we've seen the opposite. Command requires a lot, and would force Sam to change and grow (if she's to be successful at it) in numerous ways.

Being the "little woman" on the show would not be growth. I think that TPTB have treated the character badly this year by not dealing with her new position, not only her first command, but also command of the lead team.

Marcia

the dancer of spaz
October 17th, 2004, 09:21 PM
You're kidding, right? (Aside from the fact that season 8 has already finished filming, before AT really showed. If there were a ninth, they aren't going to make Sam pregnant when the actress no longer is.

Good point... They're definitely gonna hide it, I think.

You think that adding an unnecessary soap opera element would be "growth" for Sam (especially considering how having Pete around has , IMO, regressed her character), but exploring her first command would not be? Command doesn't just mean you get to go through the gate first. We have never seen Sam have to make the tough decisions that Jack has made. We haven't seen her pit her military goals against her science goals. We haven't seen her have to turn away from what her emotions are demanding she do to follow through with what her head is telling her to do. In fact, we've seen the opposite. Command requires a lot, and would force Sam to change and grow (if she's to be successful at it) in numerous ways.

Yeah... They need to prove to people who doubt her capabilities that she can handle command. If she can handle command, great. Adding complexities will only further divide the fandom unnecessarily.

Being the "little woman" on the show would not be growth. I think that TPTB have treated the character badly this year by not dealing with her new position, not only her first command, but also command of the lead team.

Marcia

Yeah, it wouldn't be growth. But who says she has to be "the little woman?" I can't picture Sam as taking that role lying down anyway.

I do disagree with your assessment of how TPTB have handled her character, but that's a discussion for another thread. I think, given what we've seen, she's done fine. Unless they have her do something stupid, we probably won't have proper reason to doubt her ability. :)

Ship Nana
October 18th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Good for AT!

Anyway

Either's fine by me.

I certainly will!

Yep, exactly! What she said!!

This bears repeating!!!

When all is said and done these actors are people with real lives and we need to respect their feelings.

AT has never been anything but wonderful to her fans and we owe her the same respect and loyalty! The only thing that counts here is a healthy baby and mother when all is said and done.

So I too will support her in any decision she makes!

Melyanna
October 18th, 2004, 07:57 AM
You're kidding, right? (Aside from the fact that season 8 has already finished filming, before AT really showed. If there were a ninth, they aren't going to make Sam pregnant when the actress no longer is. )

Marcia

I have to agree with you there. Shipper or no, I think it's disgraceful that they haven't dealt with Sam now being in command of the SGC's flagship unit. My favorite episodes aren't necessarily the shippy episodes — they're the ones in which Jack and Daniel come to an impasse because of their different goals. They're the ones that show the difficulty of decision-making when you're dealing with stuff like this.

I want to see Sam having to make those choices. The most commanding we've seen her was in Icon. And then it was just hand signals. :rolleyes: They're missing a huge opportunity for interesting character development by putting her in a B-plot with a badly-written plot device.

Mel

Steel_Thunder
October 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I want to see Sam having to make those choices. The most commanding we've seen her was in Icon. And then it was just hand signals. :rolleyes: They're missing a huge opportunity for interesting character development by putting her in a B-plot with a badly-written plot device.

Mel

I'm willing to bet that most of us would be in complete agreement with you, but the question is, will she get a chance to make those choices this season?

Major Fischer
October 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
They missed more opportunities in Icon with that. After all, they could have had Sam have to deal with the fact that her team brought chaos to that world.

Sarcazmo The Clown
December 12th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Wait, first off, why aren't you happy about it? (or more like, why are you mad about it because I'm not happy about it myself even though I started the thread. I'm more neutral of course.....) and second of all, if you are mad about it, why talk about possibilities ? Perhaps because that is why this thread is here? (then why mention your feelings about talk about her situation at all if you talk about her anyway???)
OK.. I'm gonna clear up what I meant.

In saying that I wasn't happy with people talking about Amanda's pregnancy ending the show, I meant that people were p***ing me off because some (not necesarily on this forum) were acting like it was such an inocnvenience for Amanda to get pregnant... like if the show ends because she went off o be a mother, she's just being greedy.

I'm NOT saying anyone here said that... I'm just venting my frustration that anyone would every say that in the first place! (and it was said on another forum...)

Also, if you're upset that I'm sharing my feelings and views on the subject, I'd like to remind YOU that you're the one who started this thread.

Sarcazmo The Clown
December 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Marcia
Alrighty... let's stop playing "take everything 'Mo says on the forum wrong"... it's a little frustrating.

I never said that her getting a command would not be a good way for the character to grow, and I didn't say that she had to be "the little woman". Jack had a kid, nobody got all up in arms about that... Teal'c has a son whom we see regularly, and no one dares touch that with a ten foot pole... we've all just accepted it.
Yes.. getting a command is an excellent way to expand the character... I can't wait to see if they bring back the Carter they had in the beginning, the one who kicked a** first and asked questions later. I loved that Carter... the one we've had for the past 5 seasons has been a love-sick "I'm-just-second-in-command-but-look-how-smart-I-am" girl and when that part of her comes out on screne, I can't stand it!
Also, it's just my opinion that Carter would make a great mom and that maybe after 8 years we could see a little more into the team's home lives than we've seen thus far. Don't get angry with me for having an opinion that counters your own. I never mentioned a soap opera... if it became all about them at home, I'd be first in line to kill the show... All I said was that it would be interesting to see, and a great way for the character to grow.

And (to whomever gave me the bad rep points for thinking Carter as a mom wouldn't hurt the show) SHUT UP. That's not very fair to give someone a bad rep point just because you don't like their OPINION. If I'd said something offencive, or mean, or derogetory, or completely out of line, then FINE, but just cuz I don't think having Carter as a mom would be bad for the show and you do, really isn't that great of a reason. It's MY OPINION. Get over it.