Asurans - Too soon? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asurans - Too soon? (SPOILERS)

Did anyone else feel after watching this episode, that the replicators have been destroyed too soon?

I could not beleive even right towards the end of the episode that our people would suceeed in destroying the replicators. Surely the writers would not allow it and there would be some kind of twist and the plan fails or the replicators somehow survive. To be honest I was expecting the last scene of the episode to be some sort of revelation that some had survived, although i didnt expect them to be a rebel group led by 'repliweir'. I was expecting something like we have seen in SG1 episodes where Milky way replicators are destroyed - a few blocks or cells escape destruction and begin rebuilding.

Going back to my original issue, I think as an enemy the replicators (as a complete group/society, not just some survivors) had more to give the show as enemies. To me with their superior tech they posed a far bigger threat than the Wraith, who to honest I now find a bit boring and predictable. I think it ws a mistake to destroy such an enemy after the equivalent of just one season and revert back to the wraith as the big threat. The writers could have at least kept the replicators in until the end of season 4, and then maybe got rid of them as a season finale.

I just cannot see where the show can go from here. I looked through the episode guide on Gateworld and I cannot see anything that jumps out as 'must see'. Perhaps this is someones way of killing the series off. Shame.

After all the hype about the Asurans being the new villains of the show, I too am surprised that they were killed off just a year after their introduction (mid-Season 3 to mid-Season 4). However, there's still at least one ship left lead by Weir, so I guess that's setting something up for Season 5? I've looked at GateWorld's episode guide for Season 4, and it looks like the remaining nine episodes will either be stand-alones or deal with the Wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by richardf View Post
      Did anyone else feel after watching this episode, that the replicators have been destroyed too soon?

I could not beleive even right towards the end of the episode that our people would suceeed in destroying the replicators. Surely the writers would not allow it and there would be some kind of twist and the plan fails or the replicators somehow survive. To be honest I was expecting the last scene of the episode to be some sort of revelation that some had survived, although i didnt expect them to be a rebel group led by 'repliweir'. I was expecting something like we have seen in SG1 episodes where Milky way replicators are destroyed - a few blocks or cells escape destruction and begin rebuilding.

Going back to my original issue, I think as an enemy the replicators (as a complete group/society, not just some survivors) had more to give the show as enemies. To me with their superior tech they posed a far bigger threat than the Wraith, who to honest I now find a bit boring and predictable. I think it ws a mistake to destroy such an enemy after the equivalent of just one season and revert back to the wraith as the big threat. The writers could have at least kept the replicators in until the end of season 4, and then maybe got rid of them as a season finale.

I just cannot see where the show can go from here. I looked through the episode guide on Gateworld and I cannot see anything that jumps out as 'must see'. Perhaps this is someones way of killing the series off. Shame.

I think RepliWeir is gonna be like RepliCarter. A more dangerous evil replicator villian. Maybe she'll change the base code so they can replicate. Then we would be in alot of trouble. If the ships are made of nanites our weapons will be useless. As Rodney said they beam weapons won't destroy the replicators themselves.

Comment

Don't forget that Rodney was not on board with Plan B in the beginning of the episode because just blasting replicator ships would still leave replicators/nannites floating in space, waiting for someone to gather them up and thaw them out.
        I watch HD on a 7.5 foot screen, how about you?

Comment

Well the writers had to destroy Oberath's reps because they made them stupid and dangerous.

Now with wier they might be smarter and not so crazy.

Comment

I agree. I think that after first strike there may have been some good storylines in our future. I think the wraith may have had their day unless they pull something good out of the bag for them.

Comment

Originally posted by richardf View Post
              I could not beleive even right towards the end of the episode that our people would suceeed in destroying the replicators. Surely the writers would not allow it and there would be some kind of twist and the plan fails or the replicators somehow survive.
              it was a strange episode, at every turn i expected something to go wrong like it normally does but it never did!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                After all the hype about the Asurans being the new villains of the show, I too am surprised that they were killed off just a year after their introduction (mid-Season 3 to mid-Season 4). However, there's still at least one ship left lead by Weir, so I guess that's setting something up for Season 5? I've looked at GateWorld's episode guide for Season 4, and it looks like the remaining nine episodes will either be stand-alones or deal with the Wraith.
                I had hoped that they would be as powerful and as intelligent as the Lanteans themselves, without the issue of being outnumbered. However, they are weaker than the Wraith. Hopefully, Weir can make them intelligent and formidable (as powerful as the Ancients).
                Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

im glad they're gone, good riddence

Comment

I'm sure everyone thought the reps were gone at the end of SG1 S8 as well. IMO I don't see them ever being gone for good. They'll always survive in some form, as BAMSR has proven in its coda.
                    O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                    [Cut to shot of the door]
                    [Cut back to O'Neill]
                    O'NEILL: Any time now.
                    [Cut back to door]

Comment

The Asurans aren't the Replicators from SG-1, so those Replicators are still gone until they return in an SG-1 movie or SG:A episode. The Asurans are clearly not gone since at least one ship remains, but they'll no longer be portrayed as they were in mid-Season 3 to mid-Season 4. My guess is this was done to reinvent them instead of moving on to new villains.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                        The Asurans aren't the Replicators from SG-1, so those Replicators are still gone until they return in an SG-1 movie or SG:A episode. The Asurans are clearly not gone since at least one ship remains, but they'll no longer be portrayed as they were in mid-Season 3 to mid-Season 4. My guess is this was done to reinvent them instead of moving on to new villains.
                        I was talking about Replicators in general. I'm well aware of the fact that they're different in SG1 and SGA
                        O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
                        [Cut to shot of the door]
                        [Cut back to O'Neill]
                        O'NEILL: Any time now.
                        [Cut back to door]

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but I'm merely pointing out that the Asurans on Atlantis aren't Replicators. They have nothing to do with the Replicators on SG-1. It bugs me to no end whenever they get called Replicators on the show. Sure, Human-form Replicators and Asurans share a similar nanite base structure, but that's where the similarities end.

Comment

Too soon and too easy, i'd say.
                            Also i really liked seeing Wier again. She is a really great actor and character. So i'd say it was well worth it. Perhapes a Human-Machine hybrid that she is, would make a much dangerouse enemy then Asurans were befor. They just seemed to human and to slow to be machines.
                            We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

I liked the Replicators until they became overdone following the death of Apophis, so I wasn't too displeased that the Tau'ri managed to dispose of these dumb-as-rock Replicators.
                              I will rule the world... and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X