PDA

View Full Version : Meeting on the Hive Ship

Buddhawasanancient
January 7th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Did anyone else think it was a bit "out-of-character" for Sheppard's team to be meeting on one of SEVEN Hive Ships? In the past, they would have NEVER done that. They would have met on a neutral world with 4 Puddle Jumpers stationed around and hidden, ready to rise up and defend the team at the first sign of trouble. In other words they would have had redundant security or at least a contingency plan. Now I know I'm going to hear "It was a plot device to...", and fill in the blank with any number of reasons, but even if it was, it was a stupid plot device and it completely undermines their past strategies in similar situations.

Now with that said this was easily my favorite episode this season (Obviously for other reasons).

Gate-builder
January 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I agree, it was a stupid thing to do considering the Wraith stabbed them in the back last time they worked together. What was to stop them putting a subspace transmitter on the puddle jumper so they can find the position of Atlantis?

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Buddhawasanancient
January 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I agree, it was a stupid thing to do considering the Wraith stabbed them in the back last time they worked together. What was to stop them putting a subspace transmitter on the puddle jumper so they can find the position of Atlantis?

Exactly.

And after thinking about this a bit, the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation was actually given in the episode (in a way). When the Wraith asked them to take off his restraints because it would show the other Wraith that they trusted them. The same could be said about meeting on the Hive Ship to show them they trusted this "alliance". But that doesn't mean that Carter would EVER authorize it. It would be a good way to show them they trust them, but it could possibly come at a great cost...

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Totally agree.

Myles
January 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
While it does irk me that they would have done this, it seems reasonable that they would try to show some expression of good faith in the negotiations. However, I would have definitely pushed to do this on a neutral planet with everyone unarmed, except for the cloaked jumpers overhead of course ;) but perhaps the Wraith insisted on doing it that way.

Vala_M
January 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
They were in a bad position and had to do that or nothing. I agree, it was dangerous and could have ended very badly.

Vala,

garhkal
January 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
One must also take timing into account. Did they have the time to make arrangements to meet elsewhere, and set up the security??

2ndgenerationalteran
January 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Even if it was a neutral planet they arent much safer. 12+ hives in orbit thousands of darts loaded with soldiers. Plus they were not in the position to be commanding the negotiation, the wraith could have just walked away.

rarocks24
January 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM

Todd knows where Atlantis is. Todd is alive. Todd is out there. Todd has regained lots of power me thinks because of this alliance. IE, the Wraith know where Atlantis is, but they also know Atlantis is restocked on drones, and have ships capable of owning them at a moments notice.

The Wraith aren't going to try and use Atlantis to get to Earth anymore. They're gonna use the gate, because that's really the only safe approach. And Besides, they're humiliated that their 10,000 years of domination have failed to completely stall human technological evolution in the Pegasus Galaxy.

wise one
January 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM
im thinking todd wanted to meet and suck on a human while at it THEN talk

jelgate
January 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Todd knows where Atlantis is. Todd is alive. Todd is out there. Todd has regained lots of power me thinks because of this alliance. IE, the Wraith know where Atlantis is, but they also know Atlantis is restocked on drones, and have ships capable of owning them at a moments notice.The Wraith aren't going to try and use Atlantis to get to Earth anymore. They're gonna use the gate, because that's really the only safe approach. And Besides, they're humiliated that their 10,000 years of domination have failed to completely stall human technological evolution in the Pegasus Galaxy.The only Wraith ship that knew the location of Atlantis was the two Hive ships in The Seer. The only way Todd would know the location of Atlantis is if?* Sheppard allowed him to see the Gate address and I think we know Sheppard would never do that.

rarocks24
January 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
The only Wraith ship that knew the location of Atlantis was the two Hive ships in The Seer. The only way Todd would know the location of Atlantis is if?* Sheppard allowed him to see the Gate address and I think we know Sheppard would never do that.

Todd was in contact with his hive the entire time. It's not as if he can't just magically read other Wraith's minds....oh wait.

jelgate
January 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
But he never saw the gate address for Atlantis and the Hive ships in The Seer never transmitted a message.

Vulcan611
January 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
But he never saw the gate address for Atlantis and the Hive ships in The Seer never transmitted a message.
Wraith telepathic network.

They could have told him mentaly

Vala_M
January 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know, we don't know for sure but the Wraith probably don't know where Atlantis is now. I wonder if anyone ever checked up on Lantea to see what happend with the Asuran satellite weapon. But yeah, with the beam weapons and drones, I don't think the Wraith are that stupid, at least when they are probably down to 20-30 hives from the Asuran war. The food supply problem is probably for the most part, fixed since there are so few Wraith left now.

Vala,

garhkal
January 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Todd was in contact with his hive the entire time. It's not as if he can't just magically read other Wraith's minds....oh wait.

That has a limited range, remember..

kymeric
January 8th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well they totally typed in atlantises gate address right in front of the wraith in the jumper. I was staring right at the screen like WAIT HES LOOKING.

Zepro
January 9th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Out of curiosity, did anyone notice that when Larrin and her Aurora jump out of hyperspace after the meeting, she mentions she picked up on seven hives around the planet. Is this right? I was under the impression that there were roughly 12 hives, but only 7 decided to join the fight...

RepliVeggie
January 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Out of curiosity, did anyone notice that when Larrin and her Aurora jump out of hyperspace after the meeting, she mentions she picked up on seven hives around the planet. Is this right? I was under the impression that there were roughly 12 hives, but only 7 decided to join the fight...

Maybe she didn't detect them until the other 5 declined and left.

Winter
January 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
I like the fact that when we see the Jumper door open on Larrin's ship, the Wraith is not bound.

OH YEAH - And what about this. . .

After the Wraith wakes him and Shep asks if anything else happened while he was out, the Wraith avoids the question and says he needs to return to help McKay.

What was that all about? I wonder if it has anything to do with the Wraith's line in the SoW trailer about getting what he came for. I think something else happened that he's withholding!

You know Shep was onto it - you could see it in his reaction but he still trusted the Wraith more because he knew how it could have happened but didn't. (I'm reminded of a line from Chronicles of Riddick)

hehe <eg