PDA

View Full Version : Drones

Yaxez
January 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't understand one thing, one crucial thing.

The aurora class ships use drones don't they?

Doesn't drones ignore shields? As seen in lost city?

Given that they had 30 ships, no matter how good our weapons was... shouldn't the replicators have been able to kill A LOT of the attacking ships?

On a side note: :ronan: Is it spelled Ronon or Ronan, the smiley says Ronan. And then Ronon when you hold over it -.-

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Nope, they don't ignore shields. A drone bounced off of the Puddle Jumper's shields in The Return Part 2.

P-90_177
January 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I don't understand one thing, one crucial thing.

The aurora class ships use drones don't they?

Given that they had 30 ships, no matter how good our weapons was... shouldn't the replicators have been able to kill A LOT of the attacking ships?

On a side note: :ronan: Is it spelled Ronon or Ronan, the smiley says Ronan. And then Ronon when you hold over it -.-

Nope, they don't ignore shields. A drone bounced off of the Puddle Jumper's shields in The Return Part 2.

A friend and I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now. And the last episode through in a bit of extra confusion but he thinks he can explain and i'm inclined to go with it.

Yes Drones can go through shields. There has often been evidence that they can. In the case of the return part 2 it was merely a glancing blow therefore the drone bounced off. Now BAMSR creates a new problem of course, but the explanation we've decided upon is that they weren't using drones. yes there are still inconsistancies with that theory but in the episode he tells me that the weapons the asurans were fireing did not quite look like the drones we usually see. They were also being fired in small bursts where as the allied aurora was fireing in the pattern we have come to expect. The reason for this may be that either the asurans for whatever reason don't use drones or the asurans cut massive corners in the fleets construction, hence the reason why they were built so fast.

I know many many many people will disagree but that's pretty much what we've decided on and it seems to make sense for the most part.

s09119
January 7th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Well, you could argue that it slid in and out, too.

But they do bypass Goa'uld-designed shields. We have yet to see the effect of drones on Asgard or Ancient-designed shielding.

Paddy17
January 7th, 2008, 02:14 PM
We see the drones cut through shields in Lost City Part II. These are Goa'uld shields which operate on a specific frequency as explained by carter. If something is strong enough, or fast enough it may be able to pass through, like when Jonas and Danial pushed through the shield on the door on Anubis' ship (albeit damaged slightly) Drones may not pass through more advanced shielding like Asgard design, or their own design like on the Puddle Jumper.

Only a theory... please don't smite me :sam: :mckay: even those two get it wrong sometimes :mckay::sam:

Lythisrose
January 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Maybe its Ronon when used for a boy and Ronan when used for a girl (hint hint Teyla) :cool:

marty2006
January 7th, 2008, 03:11 PM
it didnt bounce of the shield in the return part 2 it skimmed the shield and you seen the shield reacting to the drone partially passing through as sheppard pulled the jumper away

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Eh, let's not start that up again. Either way, it's the first time we saw it interact with shields, so it does have an effect.

marty2006
January 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
lol fair doos

Gate-builder
January 7th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think the Auroras were using as many drones as they should have been. Maybe they were in the middle of re-arming when they were attacked because they would have used a few drones when they were busy wiping out human worlds. I thought I saw an Aurora using it's big gun things at one point, but it was hard to tell. Anyway, if they had been shooting off huge numbers of drones there would have been a lot more damage done to the allied fleet I reckon, especially to the unshielded Wraith ships.

Myles
January 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I don't think the Auroras were using as many drones as they should have been. Maybe they were in the middle of re-arming when they were attacked because they would have used a few drones when they were busy wiping out human worlds. I thought I saw an Aurora using it's big gun things at one point, but it was hard to tell. Anyway, if they had been shooting off huge numbers of drones there would have been a lot more damage done to the allied fleet I reckon, especially to the unshielded Wraith ships.

I completely agree there should have been a lot more drones flying around until the Asurans were consumed by the blob. How much more dramatic would it have been for hundreds or thousands of drones coming up from the planet and being launched by the Auroras. Taking out some the huge hives and starting to really damage the 304s, then when the final volley is about to wipe out the remaining fleet, they fall dead as all the replicators are consumed by the blob and can't control them anymore. Then the zpm's go off as expected and they jump out of there and all is good. Would have been better then the nutronium(sp?) solution when the power grid goes out, imo. And a lot cooler looking.

garhkal
January 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
asurans cut massive corners in the fleets construction, hence the reason why they were built so fast.

I know many many many people will disagree but that's pretty much what we've decided on and it seems to make sense for the most part.

Ohh, that might explain also, why we handed them their butts so easily. The ships were not up to par with the Atlantean versions of the Auroras..

I completely agree there should have been a lot more drones flying around until the Asurans were consumed by the blob. How much more dramatic would it have been for hundreds or thousands of drones coming up from the planet and being launched by the Auroras..

Tha twould have been cool, though depending on how many got sent up it might have ment curtains for our heroes and the fleet..

2ndgenerationalteran
January 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have always figured that the Gould Shield technology is based on force fields that oscilate as stated in upgrades. The Drones just emit a field that keeps a hole open and it slips in. Lantean technology uses shields that are solid with no oscilations so drones can't find a hole to keep open. And it bounced if it passed through there is no way it would have veered off.

wise one
January 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
btw the one anubis used had ancient knowledge behind them so they might of been different to normal gouald hataks but still

and the asuran ships did use drones like when sheppard ship said that one ship was heading at full sublight and powering hyperdrive so shep fired drones in which the other asuran ship fired there to block sheps drones but 3 managed to make it through til it exploded

i think the writers had given the drones too much power in the lost city so they might of dumbed it down little to allow them to hit shields

tainor
January 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Drones can go through Go'uld shields, Anubis Ancient knock off shields and even Ori shields.
Now for most of SG1 Ori shields were the most advance ones built no weapon could have penetrated them until the Asgard built one. The beam that came out of the small gate in "The Pegasus Project" did not damage the ship until the wormhole did not jumped to the Supergate and created the unstable vortex which destroyed the ship.
So in saying this what I think is that in Unending the Asgard installed new shield tech on the Odessey which can even stop drones. This means that the only shields that can stop Drones are City ship shields, Travelers? and latest Asgard(BC304).

Vulcan611
January 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
We see the drones cut through shields in Lost City Part II. These are Goa'uld shields which operate on a specific frequency as explained by carter. If something is strong enough, or fast enough it may be able to pass through, like when Jonas and Danial pushed through the shield on the door on Anubis' ship (albeit damaged slightly) Drones may not pass through more advanced shielding like Asgard design, or their own design like on the Puddle Jumper.

Only a theory... please don't smite me :sam: :mckay: even those two get it wrong sometimes :mckay::sam:

it didnt bounce of the shield in the return part 2 it skimmed the shield and you seen the shield reacting to the drone partially passing through as sheppard pulled the jumper away

I have always figured that the Gould Shield technology is based on force fields that oscilate as stated in upgrades. The Drones just emit a field that keeps a hole open and it slips in. Lantean technology uses shields that are solid with no oscilations so drones can't find a hole to keep open. And it bounced if it passed through there is no way it would have veered off.

Drones are like energy wepons depends on the streangth of the sheild is whether the drone will compleataly pass through the sheild, or whether the sheilds affect the drone

s09119
January 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Drones are like energy wepons depends on the streangth of the sheild is whether the drone will compleataly pass through the sheild, or whether the sheilds affect the drone

...was there anything but speculation in there...?

But seriously, it's high time TPTB gave us some concrete facts about drones. This is getting rediculous.

Vulcan611
January 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
its from what has been seen in the episodes, deduction

Ed
January 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Im going to go rewatch the end of lost city but might the quantities be an isue a few drops of water wont go through paper but if you hold it under a tap it will gush through

2ndgenerationalteran
January 8th, 2008, 04:38 PM

When did that ever come as canon, the jumper's shield blocked a drone and the Hatak's most definitely can take more shots than that dinky little thing can. It doesn't seem its a matter or power put in but rather of design.

Yaxez
January 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Different shields seems most plausible when it comes to stopping drones.

I think i saw drones being fired too.

ashman2
January 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM

It is Ronon rather than Ronan.

I always thought it was just that drones could go through Goa'uld and Anubis' shields because the drones were more advanced. I never assumed that because a drone could go through a goa'uld shield it could go through every other type of shield. In the battle in BAMSR I do think that drones were used, I just think that drones are not as effective against asgard and ancient designed shields.

EarthandBeyond
January 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Efficient against shields or not, there should have been a sky full of thouse drones coming from Asurians side.

This isnt some small outspot that destroyed a whole Anubis fleet, this is a homeworld of a 10000 years old Machines, that has access to unlimited power and superfast building abilitys and 30+ Aurora class spaceships on an orbit...
Makes me woudner, is there at least 1 bad guy in Stargate Universe who can match the IQ of Tauris.

Ltcolshepjumper
January 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Efficient against shields or not, there should have been a sky full of thouse drones coming from Asurians side.

This isnt some small outspot that destroyed a whole Anubis fleet, this is a homeworld of a 10000 years old Machines, that has access to unlimited power and superfast building abilitys and 30+ Aurora class spaceships on an orbit...
Makes me woudner, is there at least 1 bad guy in Stargate Universe who can match the IQ of Tauris.

I agree. The Asurans had all the knowledge of the unascended Lanteans. Their aurora class ships were just as good as the Lantean ones (nothing says otherwise). They can interface directly with the technology (Ancient tech interfaces with Ancient tech). They should have been firing thousands of drones at a time, from the ships and the surface. Asgard technology should only equal Ancient technology. It should not surpass it. They quickly build ships (perfectly)

Gate-builder
January 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I agree. The Asurans had all the knowledge of the unascended Lanteans. Their aurora class ships were just as good as the Lantean ones (nothing says otherwise). They can interface directly with the technology (Ancient tech interfaces with Ancient tech). They should have been firing thousands of drones at a time, from the ships and the surface. Asgard technology should only equal Ancient technology. It should not surpass it. They quickly build ships (perfectly)

The Asurans probably would have been firing a whole pile of drones from the surface just like the Antarctic Outpost did, but they didn't have the chance.

EarthandBeyond
January 10th, 2008, 06:57 PM
The Asurans probably would have been firing a whole pile of drones from the surface just like the Antarctic Outpost did, but they didn't have the chance.
The advantage of beeing a machine, is that you can make decisions in a matter of nanoseconds. Its all programmed in them already. Instead they act like some old ZX spectrums. Infact most of there system should have been Automatic to start with.

The whole Asuran race have been buthered me from the start. On one side they should have been advanced machines, yet for all there advancment, they didnt even had any what so ever Robotic creatures. They could have build Terminators, mech-warriors even transformers, instead they took a shape of Humans, they are slow and overconfident. I understand that in the past they couldnt change there base code, but after they gain access to alowing changing there base code, why havent they done anything?

2ndgenerationalteran
January 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM
BUt they still have a conscience that can contemplate. As we've seen in TMC the Replicators still have worry, meaning they can fear. When we attacked they are allowed to panic. Them being robotic does not make that impossible, and panic is as likely to happen as anger, surprise and arrogance. So initially they probably did panic and try to rush someone into a control chair to fire them with absolute clarity. By then it seems that FRAN activated and she soon neutralized the planet based threat. Its also possible that they beamed her right next to a control center for the drones, or Rodney disabled their firing mechanism when he gained control over the city's power.

EarthandBeyond
January 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
BUt they still have a conscience that can contemplate. As we've seen in TMC the Replicators still have worry, meaning they can fear. When we attacked they are allowed to panic. Them being robotic does not make that impossible, and panic is as likely to happen as anger, surprise and arrogance. So initially they probably did panic and try to rush someone into a control chair to fire them with absolute clarity. By then it seems that FRAN activated and she soon neutralized the planet based threat. Its also possible that they beamed her right next to a control center for the drones, or Rodney disabled their firing mechanism when he gained control over the city's power.

They are machines not humans, why would they need a chaire?

2ndgenerationalteran
January 10th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Greater control, greater view of the action. Probably ability to control more. Still yet thats not the point they had less than a minute to compose them selves and retaliate in an organized fashion.

Gate-builder
January 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM
They copy the Ancients in every possible way, they even built themselves a replica of Atlantis. It seems likley therefore that they would use a chair to fire drones because thats how the Ancients did it.

ori soldier
January 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
they wer prob just trying to dial down the drones power i mean remeber that season 2 ep when the puddle jumper gets shot down in a prison colony and a wraith crusier comes to investigate and sheppard fires one drone and damages the cruiser so much it has to retreat, it was getting a little ridiculous and im glad the drones arent as effective as they were, however i would have have liked to see more allied casualties i tink they only lost two ships against 30 thats dialling it down a little too much.

Also the asurans dont have the ATA gene so probs cant fire drones as effectively

EarthandBeyond
January 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM
They copy the Ancients in every possible way, they even built themselves a replica of Atlantis. It seems likley therefore that they would use a chair to fire drones because thats how the Ancients did it.

From what i understood about " The Chair", it uses sort of reverse-telepathy. It reads the mind of a user, and does what its told. Since Asurans are not an organic creature they do not have a human mind no the gene to activate Ancient chairs, hence they cant use them.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM
They are allowed to have organic cells.

NIAM: In these tiny killing machines, the Ancients imbued an aggression that surpassed even that of their enemy. The technology allowed for organic assimilation and self-replication to increase their effectiveness ... and replicate they did.

They could manufacture the ATA gene or the protien needed, especially since they actually created fully opperational human cells in TMC

Gate-builder
January 12th, 2008, 02:22 AM
From what i understood about " The Chair", it uses sort of reverse-telepathy. It reads the mind of a user, and does what its told. Since Asurans are not an organic creature they do not have a human mind no the gene to activate Ancient chairs, hence they cant use them.

Where has it ever been stated that they don't have the gene?

Also if they have a 'human mind' or not is a bit of a grey area. They are machines, but as close to humans as it's possible to get. Humans are basically a collection of cells, the Replicators are a collection of nanites which must perform all the basic functions of human cells. Replicators are also sentient, they are not just mindless machines. They are pretty damn close to being human IMO

YutheGreat
January 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
You gotta ask what kind of shields. The shields the drones broke through in Lost City were Gould shields. Anubis had advance tech but not as powerful as the asgard or the ancients. They destroyed Thor ship but that was probably the oldest ship cause the advance ones were being use against the replicators. The combined Atlantis fleet were using either Asgard or ancient shields which are more powerful. The ordinary Travellers' ships were destroyed by the replicators.

As for the gene question, the replicators built their ship they should have means to fly them. They copy ancients but that doesn't mean they copy everything completely. Maybe they modified the controls to command their ships but they don't use the gene as a basis. The gene is there to prevent none ancients from using the ships and tech. The replicators might have modified this safegaurd to prevent none replicators from using their vessels.

UGA Dan
January 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
In all likelihood the drones can pass through pretty much any shield. The replicators were firing them in large numbers, but many of the drones were probably being shot down before reaching their intended targets by point defense systems or fighter screens (like when the Wraith darts shot down our slower moving nukes).

The Auroa ships themselves appear to have point defense systems as when Sheppard launches a swarm of drones at the replicator ship many of them are clearly destroyed in space; from about twenty drones fired only two impact the ship. The alliance ships could have dialed up anti-drone defenses knowing what they would be facing.

Clearly something was hitting the shields of the allied vessels, but are drones the only weapons Auroa class ships have? Perhaps they have energy weapons similar to the Hatak in addition to a compliment of drones.