PDA

View Full Version : Empty Aurora replicator ships

InUtero
January 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
There were so many empty replicator warships that the team could have stolen if they had waited a little longer to blow the planet up. Some marines could have beamed aboard some of them and nicked a few. Atlantis could use a small fleet of Aurora battleships against the wraith.

Jeffala
January 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
If they'd waited a little longer to blow the planet up the "Godzilla blob" might have been able to manipulate its form and stop its own destruction thus rendering the entire mission a waste.

jagowar
January 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
noticed that as well.... also let alot of zpm's on the planet as well.

really they didnt have much time to be able to beam over anyways because they were really close to making the super replicator blob a reality.

jenks
January 7th, 2008, 03:17 PM
There were so many empty replicator warships that the team could have stolen if they had waited a little longer to blow the planet up. Some marines could have beamed aboard some of them and nicked a few. Atlantis could use a small fleet of Aurora battleships against the wraith.

Except they couldn't have waited any longer to blow the planet up. The reason for the planet blowing up was the blob, and the blob was only there because the replicators from the ships had been sucked into it, so the window of opportunity would have been tiny. That's without mentioning the issue of beaming, I seriously doubt that the 304's could beam through Aurora shields, if they could they would have just beamed nukes into them instead of messing around with the beam weapons and rail guns.

Cap116
January 7th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they need to destroy the blob quick, so that the nanites wouldn' thave enough time to regain "conscienceness," to stop a Godzilla Replicator? If so, that would the best reason to get out, quick, fast and in a hurry. Would have been nice to see them get a couple Aurora ships, though.

Gate-builder
January 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I didn't look like the nanties left their ships by going through the door. They all just streamed through the bottom of the ships and would have done some serious damage on the way through. Even if there was time to beam onto them I doubt they would have been able to fly them clear of the planet in time.

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
The remaining Rep Auroras were just heaps of crap that looked like ships. No hyperdrives, full of holes and no shields.

Malakriss
January 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Even if all the replicator ships were intact, there's no guarantee we could transport people over and be able to hyperdrive out in time. The military doesn't arbitrarily flip a coin with it's personnel like that.

ZPMs were also expected to be detonated and not available for looting, and transporting people around a collapsing structure in enemy territory during a battle is just as foolish as going for ships. Only possible way would be to attempt beaming them directly, but we've never seen a direct beaming of non-living objects without some kind of beacon attached.

Icedragon
January 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM
If they'd waited a little longer to blow the planet up the "Godzilla blob" might have been able to manipulate its form and stop its own destruction thus rendering the entire mission a waste.

Worse than a waste, it would have made things worse.

Arative
January 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM

When the replicators were sucked down to the planet, as they were leaving the ships, you could see, at least in High Def, explosions where they exited the ships. More than likely those ships were damaged and could not be repaired in the short amount of time that they had before the planet blew up.

As far as no ZPM's, from the time Rodney solidified the blob to sink and the planet began to blow up was very short. They didn't have time to beam up any ZPM's. Besides, we've never beamed a ZPM up while still engaged and generating power. How do you know that wouldn't have exploded it?

Ehecatl
January 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I didn't look like the nanties left their ships by going through the door. They all just streamed through the bottom of the ships and would have done some serious damage on the way through. Even if there was time to beam onto them I doubt they would have been able to fly them clear of the planet in time.

I agree, but the teams would have to put on space suits before they could steal the structurally damaged ships. (no time)

2ndgenerationalteran
January 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
2 explanations, 1 the salvageable ships still had active shields which we cant beam through. and 2 the ships we could beam to had major structual damage and we specifically targeted their hyperdrives, they probably didnt know which ships were capable of hyperspaceing out.

The ZPMs are a different story. We know we can pretty much pinpoint their locations with the 304s. and they had a minute or so to retrieve them, and in lifeline sheppard needed only a few seconds to do the retrieving. That was probably the worst wasted opportunity.

Darien
January 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Some hardcore loot-maniac d'n'd players here, I see... :D

xenomorph1211
January 8th, 2008, 09:30 PM
How do we know they didn't grab any ZPMs? They didn't say either way. It could come up later, "Oh yeah we grabbed some, sorry we didn't let you know".

Avenger
January 8th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Exactly. The ships were complete scrap after the nanites tore through the ships. Never mind that the ships were also attacked by darts and hives as well.

sg1adam
January 9th, 2008, 03:46 AM
I have to agree with the opinion that there wasn't enough time to make the Rep ships ship-shape and run with them to safety. I think that the idea of taking a few ZPM's..... they could have done so, as we know, they know where they are, but for what ever reason TPTB didn't write that into the story we may never know, but it would make things very easy for the Atlantis team if anything bad came along. Only time will tell.

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Normally they probably would have attempted to nick a few ZPMs, but the original plan was to blow them up remember...

InUtero
January 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well I think the wraith had the right idea...

From the preview to Spoils Of War it looks like the wraith themselves took the time to nick a ZPM during the battle....c'mon Team Atlantis you could have done the same at least!

Winter
January 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM

LMAO

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing - they were in a bit of a hurry to bother with doors! Having replicator nanites from all over the ship being sucked down to the planet's surface with such force would have left those ships rittled (which apparently isn't a real word) with holes.

talyn2k1
January 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I whole heartedly agree that trying to take some Auroras would've been a foolish task considering the planet could blow at any time. Also considering the damage done to them it would've been potentially very dangerous even without taking into account the unstable planet below.

However, if they'd beamed down a few teams of 3 marines + one scientist to the locations of the ZPMs they weren't going to detonate, at the same time they beamed McKay, Ronon & Fran down, there would've been plenty of time for them to quickly disconnect the ZPMs and beam back out.

If they were worried about it being too dangerous, they could've made the mission voluntary so that whoever did it went in knowing full well that they may have to be left behind when the planet blows.

But, as previously posted

It looks like the Wraith thought it was worth the risk and grabbed a ZPM for themselves. I'm seriously looking forward to Spoils of War.

garhkal
January 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
problem with that is besides mccayy and zalenka, who knows how to put in/take out a ZPM /? Also did he not say he needed them all to blow up and compact the blob?

Fenrir Foxz
January 9th, 2008, 11:19 PM
problem with that is besides mccayy and zalenka, who knows how to put in/take out a ZPM /? Also did he not say he needed them all to blow up and compact the blob?

That was the original plan before the repli-blob crushed the main power Conduits...
I would have thought McKay/Carter or someone would have written a report detailing how to install ZPMs *especially with one having been fitted on the Oddyssey*...

Opener
January 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I whole heartedly agree that trying to take some Auroras would've been a foolish task considering the planet could blow at any time. Also considering the damage done to them it would've been potentially very dangerous even without taking into account the unstable planet below.

However, if they'd beamed down a few teams of 3 marines + one scientist to the locations of the ZPMs they weren't going to detonate, at the same time they beamed McKay, Ronon & Fran down, there would've been plenty of time for them to quickly disconnect the ZPMs and beam back out.

If they were worried about it being too dangerous, they could've made the mission voluntary so that whoever did it went in knowing full well that they may have to be left behind when the planet blows.

But, as previously posted

It looks like the Wraith thought it was worth the risk and grabbed a ZPM for themselves. I'm seriously looking forward to Spoils of War.

The military didn't want to take the chance of even one of their people being captured. Besides the fact that they were focused solely on destroying the Asurans, remember that these are Replicators we're talking about. Every human attacking knew the plan, and if even one person was captured and their memory scanned in the Replicator way, they could've adapted, or worse, allowed themselves to be gathered before controlling the kiron pathways and becoming a menace unlike any we've seen before.

It's my understanding that detaching a ZPM takes time just like switching the city from cloaked to shielded. When Sheppard got one in Lifeline, the time may have been compressed between shots.