Meaning of the Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meaning of the Name

Come, Shakespeare experts (or those with general opinions!)

I'm very curious on the name of this episode, and why it was called 'Be All My Sins Remember'd'--is there something specific it refers to?

The actual quote comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, at the end of Hamlet's famous 'to be or not to be' soliloquy. He sees Ophelia has been listening to him muse on death, and says to her:

Nymph, in thy orisons, be all my sins remember'd

The Literal translation is: Nymph, in your prayers be all my sins remembered, or remember my sins in your prayers to God. On a wider analysis, people believe he is asking for her to pray to God to punish him for all his sins.

In the soliloquy, he had been contemplating suicide and death. He decides to live because his own consciousness could not move past the fear that taking one's life (or just dying in general) might actually have consequences in the afterlife (such as hell).

Why did the writers choose it? Was it in reference to what Hamlet says or just a good set of words? I'm curious to know if anyone else is intrigued. They also pulled "This Mortal Coil" from that soliloquy.

For my part
    Spoiler:

I think they're referring to the fact that the entire involvement with the Replicators has been the fault of Atlantis expedition (much like the Wraith), and those are the sins--they provoked them, rewrote their base code twice (which led them to attack both the Ancients and the innocents of Pegasus) , and in the battle with them, formed a treaty with their worst enemies (the Wraith), offered up sacrifices (the guy from "Miller's Crossing" and FRAN), and lost Weir.

Or maybe Weir is Ophelia? She and her team are now the last of the Pegasus replicators--whether she's dupli!Weir or real Weir, she is possessed/created courtesy the replicators. Is it through her being alive that 'all the sins are remembered?'
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
    Come, Shakespeare experts (or those with general opinions!)

I'm very curious on the name of this episode, and why it was called 'Be All My Sins Remember'd'--is there something specific it refers to?

The actual quote comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, at the end of Hamlet's famous 'to be or not to be' soliloquy. He sees Ophelia has been listening to him muse on death, and says to her:

The Literal translation is: Nymph, in your prayers be all my sins remembered, or remember my sins in your prayers to God. On a wider analysis, people believe he is asking for her to pray to God to punish him for all his sins.

In the soliloquy, he had been contemplating suicide and death. He decides to live because his own consciousness could not move past the fear that taking one's life (or just dying in general) might actually have consequences in the afterlife (such as hell).

Why did the writers choose it? Was it in reference to what Hamlet says or just a good set of words? I'm curious to know if anyone else is intrigued. They also pulled "This Mortal Coil" from that soliloquy.

For my part
    Spoiler:

I think they're referring to the fact that the entire involvement with the Replicators has been the fault of Atlantis expedition (much like the Wraith), and those are the sins--they provoked them, rewrote their base code twice (which led them to attack both the Ancients and the innocents of Pegasus) , and in the battle with them, formed a treaty with their worst enemies (the Wraith), offered up sacrifices (the guy from "Miller's Crossing" and FRAN), and lost Weir.

Or maybe Weir is Ophelia? She and her team are now the last of the Pegasus replicators--whether she's dupli!Weir or real Weir, she is possessed/created courtesy the replicators. Is it through her being alive that 'all the sins are remembered?'
    I think you are spot on with your analasis. However the most I remember about that play is the first part of that speech. High school was a very long time ago.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I haven't really thought about it, my initial interpretation was that it probably means that what they've done, for what ever reason, will come back and bite them in the arse.

Comment

I was trying to figure out what the episode name was in reference to myself. I figured it was allying with the wraith and actually being the cause of the Asurans, but you put it far better then I could of.

Comment

From "Hamlet" Act 3 Scene 1

spoilered for size
          Spoiler:
          To be or not to be, that is the question;
          Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
          The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
          Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
          And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep;
          No more; and by a sleep to say we end
          The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
          That flesh is heir to — 'tis a consummation
          Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
          To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub,
          For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
          When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
          Must give us pause. There's the respect
          That makes calamity of so long life,
          For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
          Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
          The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
          The insolence of office, and the spurns
          That patient merit of th'unworthy takes,
          When he himself might his quietus make
          With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
          To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
          But that the dread of something after death,
          The undiscovered country from whose bourn
          No traveller returns, puzzles the will,
          And makes us rather bear those ills we have
          Than fly to others that we know not of?
          Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
          And thus the native hue of resolution
          Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
          And enterprises of great pitch and moment
          With this regard their currents turn awry,
          And lose the name of action.-- Soft you now!
          The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
          Be all my sins remember'd.

and no I'm not a Shakespeare expert, this was posted by The Maneuver in one of the TMC threads
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Doing evil to stop evil is a posibility

Comment

I think it refers to the two great sins of the Ancients- the Wraith and the Asurans.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

from JM's blog

Rose (formerly OhioAnne) writes: “What is the significance of the title?”

Martin G:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
                Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
                The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
                Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
                And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
                No more; and by a sleep to say we end
                The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
                That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation
                Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep;
                To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there’s the r
                For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
                When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
                Must give us pause: there’s the respect
                That makes calamity of so long life;
                For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
                The oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
                The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
                The insolence of office and the spurns
                That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
                When he himself might his quietus make
                With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
                To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
                But that the dread of something after death,
                The undiscover’d country from whose bourn
                No traveller returns, puzzles the will
                And makes us rather bear those ills we have
                Than fly to others that we know not of?
                Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
                And thus the native hue of resolution
                Is sicklied o’er with the pale cast of thought,
                And enterprises of great pith and moment
                With this regard their currents turn awry,
                And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
                The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
                Be all my sins remember’d.
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I think it basically means revenge, the Asurans sins were wiping out all those human populations, the remembered part is us getting revenge on them by wiping them out, that's under the assumption an AI can have sins.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                    from JM's blog
                    Yeah, I knew where it came from, it was nice of Marty to quote the soliloquy, but I really wanted to know why those two lines. "This Mortal Coil" makes sense to me (in the monologue it means "the living body" and the big question in TMC was whether the clones were 'human' or not.)

But "Be All my Sins Remember'd" is much more perplexing. I'd love to know his thinking behind why that line, since it's not as clear.
                    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                      I think it refers to the two great sins of the Ancients- the Wraith and the Asurans.
                      I quite like that idea.

In terms of the Asurans...

Spoiler:
                      I suppose BAMSR can be taken to mean that Weir and her possible Replicator Friends are the 'sins' of the whole war and they're not going without being remembered?

I did Hamlet last year, you'd think I'd be able to figure something out...
                      The Geek shall inherit the earth

Proud Sparky Supporter
                      Keeping the Heart and Soul of Atlantis Alive
                      "They can take our Elizabeth, but they can ne'er take our SPARKY!"

Comment

I think that is the real Weir, not a RepliWeir. The only reason I say that is because of the uniform she is wearing. They didn't switch to that uniform till after she left. So take that in to consideration.

: Green is Good.
                        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                          The Wraith arose on their own; the Ancients came across them on a "dark world" one day, remember?

But I think the titles are good... "This Mortal Coil" refers to the team 'shedding' their physical forms (in a sense) to become the RepliTeam, even though it's later revealed that the originals are still around. And "Be all My Sins Remember'd" refers to the alliance with the Wraith, their long-time enemy and a race that wants nothing more than to obliterate them.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I think refers to the replicator woman they made as one of the sins

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

the ancients created the asurans and this apart from weirs ship sees the end of replicaters so i think its to do with that instead of too do with earth

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Working...
                              X