PDA

View Full Version : Human Ship Weapon Effectiveness(spoilers)

dd78matt
January 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
The new Asgard beam weapons that were retrofitted onto Earth ships were extremly effective against the Replicator ships. That brings me to my question, how could they be so effective when the Asgard couldn't even destroy pre-human form Replicator ships?

OSUIvan
January 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
The new Asgard beam weapons that were retrofitted onto Earth ships were extremly effective against the Replicator ships. That brings me to my question, how could they be so effective when the Asgard couldn't even destroy pre-human form Replicator ships?

Those weapons were designed to fight the Ori remember? Ori shields were made by ascended beings. I think they are a bit stronger than million year old ancient shield tech.
Also, the replicators in Ida were not the same that are in atlantis.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM

What have MW replicators got to do with Pegasus ones that use Ancient ships? We aren't even talking about the same weapons either...

OSUIvan
January 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Also the replicators that the asgard fought shot replicator blocks at their ships. They would form bugs, then take over the ships weapons. You are trying to compare a apple to a orange.

dd78matt
January 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
What have MW replicators got to do with Pegasus ones that use Ancient ships? We aren't even talking about the same weapons either...

Well, considering the creator of the MW Replicators were first created by Reese, who was a human form Replicator built by an Anciet, I would say a lot. But why aren't we talking about the same weapons? They are Asgard weapons, which were completely ineffective against MW replicators, as were all energy based weapons. So why did they work this time around?

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, considering the creator of the MW Replicators were first created by Reese, who was a human form Replicator built by an Anciet, I would say a lot.

Reese wasn't human form replicator, she was an android. We have no idea who built her either, as far as we know she has absolutely no connection with the Pegasus replicators.

But why aren't we talking about the same weapons? They are Asgard weapons, which were completely ineffective against MW replicators, as were all energy based weapons. So why did they work this time around?

First of all, they're not the same weapons. The ones the Asgard used against the MW replicators were their standard weapons, the ones we are using now are beam weapons designed to fight the Ori. Second, what do you mean 'this time round'? They're fighting a totally different enemy!

2ndgenerationalteran
January 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Actually asgard weapons on the Oniell were effective on the hull of the Replicator ship when they exited hyperspace and before they raised shields in New Order. It destroyed it but left large replicator blocks in the process

inta
January 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Pegasus Galaxy replicators are not nearly as advanced as Milky Way Galaxy replicators.

Pegasus galaxy reps were created in human form and unable (until recently) to alter their code.

Milky way galaxy reps evolved from a tiny bug and have no limits on what they can form/create themselves into.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Pegasus Galaxy replicators are not nearly as advanced as Milky Way Galaxy replicators.

Pegasus galaxy reps were created in human form and unable (until recently) to alter their code.

Milky way galaxy reps evolved from a tiny bug and have no limits on what they can form/create themselves into.

Exactly. Completly different situations.

rei3085
January 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Also to think, that the MW reps ship are made of rep blocks if I remembered right while PG ships are regular materials. which was the first weakness the humans exploited.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Also to think, that the MW reps ship are made of rep blocks if I remembered right while PG ships are regular materials. which was the first weakness the humans exploited.

Exactly. The MW ships were built of replicator blocks the Asurans built them out of raw materials.

Gala
January 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Plus the MW replicators were by far the most advanced race yet. Asurans were limited to what the ancients knew of war which wasn't much at all, replicators however could simply rearrange thereselves the power generation of their ship was huge enough to protect them from any weps.

Even though we did kick their butts a bit easily I think its about right. What it also shows is just how strong those ORI ships were they took like 7 or 8 hits to take down their shields, punched straight though the ancient ones.

Who knows depending on shield strength of ORI ships our beams could be more powerful than theirs. I wouldn't bet on it though.

ancientaction
January 5th, 2008, 03:02 PM
QR.

you have to recall, the Asguard were being hunted and killed like insects for a very long time by the replicators in the MW and Ida.

they were only available to research and rebuild their race for a very short time. and by the time they realized they had no hope of restoring their clone's genetic defects, they probally went on to research other means. Thor gave us no indication on how long they have been researching to help Earth against the Ori. my thoughts, since the Asgard had a HUGE step in weapons and shield technology when they wiped themselves out, is that when they realized they shouldn't waste time fixing their cloned selves, they researched anything that would help earth, which as i said, we have no idea how long that was, they may have started reasearching that right at the end of thier war with the replicators.

garhkal
January 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Those weapons were designed to fight the Ori remember? Ori shields were made by ascended beings. I think they are a bit stronger than million year old ancient shield tech.
Also, the replicators in Ida were not the same that are in atlantis.

Corect. The replicator ships in SG1 were actually made OF replicators, which started to become immune to the weapons that they assimillated (sorry to use that phrase). Where as the Asuran ships are made of actual materials, NOT nanites...

Astrofighter
January 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah as others have said MW > Pegasus the Asurans were stuck in development for well over 10,000 years. From as far as we had ever seen they did'nt create a single new innovation on their own that the alterans didn't create first. Remember they did everything to emmulate the Alterans, it's not immitation when you create something of your own. Even though they wanted to wipe out the Alterans for holding them back they still were stuck with just wanting to immitate them. In the end it was only when McKay unlocked their code did they have the chance to change. Even then the only thing they changed was going after Atlantis.

kymeric
January 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Think the Wraith are freaked out at the firepower of Earthling ships now?

DetriusXii
January 5th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Possibly where they went when they didn't meet up with the Tria and earth ships was to discuss future plans in countering earth.

I think there's a possibility to counter the beam weapons by building fast bombers and keeping the hive ships away from the earth ships. The Wraith don't possess many advantages, and if two more earth x304s are built, then the Wraith lose control of the galaxy. They simply can't create more manpower to man the ships, because of their food shortage.

Freekzilla
January 5th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'd also like to point out that the Asgard gained some ancient knowledge when Jack had their database downloaded into his brain. So, it's not far fetched that they included some of the stuff they learned about Ancient tech into their newer tech. Ori tech would have been similar to Ancient tech, so it would make sense to incorporate anything they could find out about the Ancient tech into the newer weapons. Basically, the newest Asgard tech should include knowledge from both the Asgard and the Ancients. Maybe not all, but atleast some. Add in the fact that Asgard technology seems to be extremely efficient. And, it seems it was the last or one of the last great advances the Asgard made. Their time was running short, so they handed what they had off to us. Hopefully we can use it responsibly.

Kuro Rai
January 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
umm, isn't there something about a time gap between coming out of hyperspace and starting up weapons/shields? You can clearly see in the scene that the replicator ships have no shields (otherwise we would have seen the beams not go through immediately and instead be blocked off by a shield).

inta
January 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM

well they know we only have have 2 in the pegasus galaxy.
probably makes them think twice about going to earth though.

jamin791
January 6th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Well yes as everyone else has said, replicator ships were made of real material and not nanite cells like the milky way replicators. And we must remember that the Asgards advanced in their level of technology over the 10,000 years since the Ancients left Atlantis where as the replicators dont seem to have advanced at all in their weapons of defences.

Not to mention the fact that the directed energy weapons the first appeared in the season finale of SG1 season 10 is incredibly different to the energy weapons used by the Asgard before that episode.

Freekzilla
January 6th, 2008, 02:05 AM

Hmmm, not freaked out, but I really think they'll be more cautious of us now. The days when a single or pair of hive ships was sufficient to attack them with are gone. Also, they know we are from another galaxy. So, they could think we are also in other galaxies too. Which would mean there's more of those ships out there. And if that's what we have here in the PG, then they might assume we have more of them back home. Add in the fact that we were able to take out the Replicators and they weren't able to, as far as coming up with a way to accomplish it, then I think it changes things for them. I'm sure they were impressed. I don't think they'll charge head long like a bull at us any more. More likely, their tactics will change and they will become more strategic. I'm also sure they will be doing everything they can to learn about our new weapons. I'm sure if we suddenly showed up with two dozen of these ships with those weapons, that the entire Wraith species would collectively pee their pants. :D

Ehecatl
January 6th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Colonel Ellis explained how nukes could destroy the Asuran ships rather than the MW Replicator ships he said it was because the other ships were constructed of nanocells. So instead of taking damage the MW replicator ships absorbed the damage much like the human replicators did themselves.

Replicator776
January 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
well they know we only have have 2 in the pegasus galaxy.
probably makes them think twice about going to earth though.

Also, even if the Wraith DO make it to Earth and cull us all....they have to worry about the human's allies in the Milky Way (Jaffa, Tok'ra). The Jaffa might have enough ships to handle most of the Wraith Hives....(if im wrong please dont contradict me, im a new fan of the show but I've seen seasons 9 and 10 and am aware of the Jaffa's ship capabilities) :jack:

Astrofighter
January 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Well yes as everyone else has said, replicator ships were made of real material and not nanite cells like the milky way replicators. And we must remember that the Asgards advanced in their level of technology over the 10,000 years since the Ancients left Atlantis where as the replicators dont seem to have advanced at all in their weapons of defences.

Not to mention the fact that the directed energy weapons the first appeared in the season finale of SG1 season 10 is incredibly different to the energy weapons used by the Asgard before that episode.

Actually the 10,000 years was the time in which the alterans left the pegasus galaxy. They left the Milky Way galaxy like 3 million years.

jamin791
January 6th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Actually the 10,000 years was the time in which the alterans left the pegasus galaxy. They left the Milky Way galaxy like 3 million years.

Yeh well isnt that what I meant? I said its been 10,000 years since they left atlantis... Anyways my understanding was that the great 4 alliance wasnt formed till after they came back from the pegasus galaxy.

But anywho its been 10,000 years since the replicators were created and the asgards have had 10,000 years of advancement over the still very stagnent replicators which was my argument.

jelgate
January 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hmmm, not freaked out, but I really think they'll be more cautious of us now. The days when a single or pair of hive ships was sufficient to attack them with are gone. Also, they know we are from another galaxy. So, they could think we are also in other galaxies too. Which would mean there's more of those ships out there. And if that's what we have here in the PG, then they might assume we have more of them back home. Add in the fact that we were able to take out the Replicators and they weren't able to, as far as coming up with a way to accomplish it, then I think it changes things for them. I'm sure they were impressed. I don't think they'll charge head long like a bull?* at us any more. More likely, their tactics will change and they will become more strategic. I'm also sure they will be doing everything they can to learn about our new weapons. I'm sure if we suddenly showed up with two dozen of these ships with those weapons, that the entire Wraith species would collectively pee their pants. :DI think your underestimating the power of the Wraith. What they lack power, they make up in numbers. The Ancients had more than 3 dozen ships and lost to the Wraith

jenks
January 6th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Exactly, regardless of the power of our energy weapons, the sheer size of a Wraith ship would be a problem, let alone the numbers they have.

Freekzilla
January 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I think your underestimating the power of the Wraith. What they lack power, they make up in numbers. The Ancients had more than 3 dozen ships and lost to the Wraith

Exactly, regardless of the power of our energy weapons, the sheer size of a Wraith ship would be a problem, let alone the numbers they have.

I agree to some extent. But where I draw a distinction is having the power and using it to it's best effect. But still, if 2 dozen of those ships just showed up "poof", you don't think the Wraith would be a bit nervous? I mean, we're not the Ancients. We're not the pacifists they were, and we are pretty daRN good at fighting ya know. And you have to admit that those energy weapons are a nice step up in firepower, perhaps more than what the Wraith believed we could have. I honestly do think it will change the Wraith's tactics a bit. It's no longer a forelong conclusion to how things will end for the Wraith, with them on top.

I just can't wait to see how our new weapons fair against the Wraith. Shibby! I'd like to see some tag team -304 action on a single hive. :D

RepliVeggie
January 6th, 2008, 11:13 PM
A few things the Asgard at the time of there demise were still not even a fraction of what the Ancients were when they left our plain or reality. As mentioned by Thor in one of the later episodes of SG1 that the Asgard still only understand a very small fraction of the repository of the Ancients. They have most likely had access to a Repository for along long time.

Also I don't remember it said anywhere that the beam weapons were design to fight the Ori. I think that the Asgard learned how to create those weapons from the Repository of the Ancients.

As for how will the beam weapons do against Hives? Well they don't have shields so I am pretty sure they will get owned very bad.

The Ancients weren't pacifists they had just never fought an enemy that they had to actually try to defeat. It left them at a disadvantage. They didn't know how to fight a real war. I also think that at the time the Ancients occupied Atlantis the Wraith likely had hundreds of ships. Also if you think a bout it a race that never ever had a serious enemy is unlikely to actually form a real army. Probably 10-20 Aurora class ships at most. I think the Ancients planned to return to the MW Galaxy and form a real armada of alot of vessels and return and likely would have wrecked the wraith badly.

Also about the new weapons working on Ori ships so well I just assumed the Ori, being a religious sect, weren't gonna be as advanced of the Alteran's who were pure scientists. But the replicators fairing just as badly vs our new weapons was kind of a disappointment.

Valtharus
January 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I am actually really dissapointed.

For one the ancients were so far ahead of the asgard (they have even admitted this on a number of occasions) that for their weaposn to basically 1 shot an ancient warship seems a little farfetched.

Secondly, Earth has become far to powerful...FAR to powerful. The warith are no longer an enemy to be reckoned with. Their numbers are diminishing, they are in a civil war, and soon it seems they also will be amtched with ship power seeing as earth appears to be churning them out pretty easily now with super weapons.

I mean really, the wraith defeated the ancients, I don't care how many people go "oh but military tactics bla bla" Thats nothing. Sure earth is more 'fresh' at fighting wars, but COME ON fighting inter-galactic wars? we have ad what? a year two at most (considering before that we didn't actually have any ships). PLUS we (at least we should) have the technological imparement as well even with asgard tech.

Ahh well.

Vulcan611
January 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Its the same point as with the communist militarizes, you can shoot down ten of my planes so i send up 15, maybe the other 5 can shoot yours down.

RepliVeggie
January 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
This popped into my mind last night which made sense to me and helped me accept the power of the new weapons and shields.

My thinking is the Asgard got the shields, weapons and the new power core from the Repository of the Ancients. It is either Ancient technology in full or an adaption of Ancient technology.

Everyone remember how easily the Ori found the Odyssey right when the power core was brought online for the first time? I am thinking this. It is ancient technology. The Ori ships detected the power signature of Ancient tech and came running thinking that the "Evil ones" were arming there followers now too (or something, point being they recognized the energy signature of the Ancients). Makes alot of sense to me. Helped me explain why the Ori were so attracted to the technology. If this turns out to be true, something this important should be explained in Ark of Truth.

Works for me what do you guys think?

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I like it a lot.

There is also my pet theory that only SOME Ancients left for Pegasus, while the others stayed in the MW and improved their technology (perhaps through trading knowledge with the Great Alliance) so that, at the end, it was much more advanced than those of their Lantian brothers.

And then there is my other theory, that those Ancient Repositories actually contain Ascended knowledge. Who knows, maybe Merlin planted all of them so we can eventually kill off the Ori.

OSUIvan
January 7th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Also I don't remember it said anywhere that the beam weapons were design to fight the Ori. I think that the Asgard learned how to create those weapons from the Repository of the Ancients.

Well let's see, before we got Asgard weapons, the Asgard could not take out a ori ship during camelot. Then we go to their home world, they give us new weapons, that are obviously new Asgard tech by just looking at the type of 'blue stuff' that comes out of the weapon. Not to mention it can take out Ori ships that were designed by ascended beings.

So let's look at this for a second, who's shields would be more powerful. One designed by a very old race, or one desinged by a race that is just as old BUT have been ascended for 10's of thousands of years (maybe more?).

I'd take a Ori ship vs a Ancient ship any day.

Eirik69
January 7th, 2008, 06:43 PM
The writers bestowed the element of surprise on the attacking coalition. Even the rail-gun fire from the earthships damaged the Replicator Auroras initially.

The Replicators have the same technology as the Atlantis City ship, which can detect Wraith ships from days travel distance. We also saw in this episode that the waiting earthships ambushing Auroras detected the hyperspace window before the Replicator ship entered 'normal space'. Yet, the Aurora ships guarding the Replicator planet did not have their shields up when the coalition fleet arrived. The Replicators did not raise shields over their cities to prevent beam ins. Ouch.

As for drones and shields, I thought I saw an episode where shields stopped drones and I'm not talking about 'Shepperds puddle jumper'. In this episode, we saw an earthship take several drone shots (just before it zapped the Aurora ship with its Asgard gun). Later, we saw another one or two drones get stopped by the Apollo's shields, 'we can't take much more of this'. This doesn't mean that the Aurora shields must stop drones, however. The Asgard did have time to study the drones found on earth and may have come up with an enhancement that the Ancients did not.

When we saw one of the earthships use its Asgard DEW (directed energy weapon) to destroy an Aurora ship, it did so in a second or two. But then again, we did not see what hit that Aurora ship before. So, one can reasonably state so. So my initial boo hoo from watching the scene was incorrect. I want to see that Aurora class ships have comparable shields to the Atlantis shields...consistency. Atlantis shields withstood bombardment from how many hive ships and cruisers at one point? The Auroras should be similar if not better (less surface area). If the Auroras cannot stop drones, then the drones can be credited with weakening them for other firepower....

It really bothers the hell out of me that Aurora ships don't seem to have DEWs. But, thus far the writers have been consistent at least.

I didn't see any drones fired from the surface of the planet. We only saw one of the coalition ships destroyed. Generally, this scene was another example of the 'bad guys can't shoot straight' or some other excuse for being terribly ineffective.

I thought it interesting that there were no Wraith cruisers in the coalition fleet. Its been my theory that Cruisers (mass produced and focused on ship-to-ship combat rather than culling as are Hives) were the key to the Wraith victory over the Ancients. Well, that would be a big tangent. Anyway...

The Rodney nanite-attraction plan was clever. I liked it. I sure wish the producers had more budget to do these scenes even better.

Rant, rant, ... I do enjoy this show, despite my little quibbles. Its all about the characters in the end.

Lord Balls
January 7th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Once I saw the beam weapon in action I immediately thought of are those Ori's technology retrofit onto those two Earth battleships? There go did this episode took place after "The Ark of Truth" movie? It would be cool to use Ori's technologies on Earth side in the Pegasus galaxy against the Replicators and Wraiths. Afterall after "The Ark of Truth" they are essentially Earth's new best friend, right?

s09119
January 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Plus the MW replicators were by far the most advanced race yet. Asurans were limited to what the ancients knew of war which wasn't much at all, replicators however could simply rearrange thereselves the power generation of their ship was huge enough to protect them from any weps.

Even though we did kick their butts a bit easily I think its about right. What it also shows is just how strong those ORI ships were they took like 7 or 8 hits to take down their shields, punched straight though the ancient ones.

Who knows depending on shield strength of ORI ships our beams could be more powerful than theirs. I wouldn't bet on it though.

7 or 8? Fanwank, it only took 2/3/4 at most in every scene.

Ehecatl
January 7th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The new beam weapons on the BC-304s are great but they are not nearly as powerful as the beam weapons of the Ancient satellites .

RepliVeggie
January 7th, 2008, 10:48 PM

The MW Replicators aren't nearly as advanced IMO. They only had the knowledge they had learned from the Asgard and other races in our Galaxy. The replicators were still after Ancient tech.

The inability of the Asurans to replicate and rearrange themselves has nothing to do with how advanced they are. It is something the Ancients coded into them to prevent them from doing. Because they were unable to do so they weren't able to make ships out of nanites. If they could I don't think we would have a chance against them unless there is another weapon in Pegasus like what was hidden on Ta'kara.

garhkal
January 7th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Once I saw the beam weapon in action I immediately thought of are those Ori's technology retrofit onto those two Earth battleships? There go did this episode took place after "The Ark of Truth" movie? It would be cool to use Ori's technologies on Earth side in the Pegasus galaxy against the Replicators and Wraiths. Afterall after "The Ark of Truth" they are essentially Earth's new best friend, right?

While they may be thanking us for the revelation, it is still a big step away from giving us their tech.

Eirik69
January 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
The new beam weapons on the BC-304s are great but they are not nearly as powerful as the beam weapons of the Ancient satellites .

This may or may not be so. But, I don't recall seeing each shoot at a common target for comparisons. Its ultimately up to the writers, assuming they make a conscious decision instead of shooting each episode isolated from others in such matters.

Eirik

from_orion
January 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM

My guess is they are equal strength weapons, but we will not know unless we see one of our ships shoot a ha'tak. :)

from_orion
January 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM

NOOOO!!!!!!! Our beam weapons are from the asgard in "Undending", long before Ark Of Truth. The asgard would not have had any access to Ori technology at that time. However, since Thor stated that asgard scientists accessed the Ancient knowledge device, it is probably an upgraded on-ship form of the ancient's satellite weapon. And obviously the events of Season three finale First Strike and season 4 thus far are all after Ark of Truth, since Carter is done with the Milky Way.

Forgottensmoke
January 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
The Asuran ships would have been powered by ZPM's they should have been way stronger then Ori Ships or is the Ori Power core much stronger then the ZPM

jdbond
January 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
The Asuran ships would have been powered by ZPM's they should have been way stronger then Ori Ships or is the Ori Power core much stronger then the ZPM

ahem..Ori's still have/had the best technology that is out there. Now you go figure why..

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM
ahem..Ori's still have/had the best technology that is out there. Now you go figure why..

Not they don't.

ashman2
January 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Possibly where they went when they didn't meet up with the Tria and earth ships was to discuss future plans in countering earth.

The vessel that the Travellers has is not the Tria. We haven't seen the Tria yet this season, although apparently we may see it in Midway. We do not know at the moment what the name is of the warship that the Travellers have

jdbond
January 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Not they don't.

yes they do. Just because Asgard weapons can hit Ori ships back doesn't make them superior.

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Of course it does, how can an Ori ship be more advanced when a 304 can pwn one so easily?

jdbond
January 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Of course it does, how can an Ori ship be more advanced when a 304 can pwn one so easily?

you mean a 304 with ZPM powered shield and Asgard plasma beam weapon? Get rid of all the "borrowed" stuff and 304s are worse than alkash! By the way, 304 didn't own any of them so easily. Only exception I have seen is in the movie Ark of truth where 304 takes atleast a dozen hit and still survives (one more loophole I guess). I am pretty sure than an Ori ship can easily own a 304 even with a ZPM and Asgard weapon. As I remember from Unending, what they really lack is maneuverability. May be their size is making things worse for them.

jenks
January 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM
you mean a 304 with ZPM powered shield and Asgard plasma beam weapon? Get rid of all the "borrowed" stuff and 304s are worse than alkash! By the way, 304 didn't own any of them so easily. Only exception I have seen is in the movie Ark of truth where 304 takes atleast a dozen hit and still survives (one more loophole I guess). I am pretty sure than an Ori ship can easily own a 304 even with a ZPM and Asgard weapon. As I remember from Unending, what they really lack is maneuverability. May be their size is making things worse for them.

Hmm, the entire thing is basically borrowed. The fact remains, the Odyssey is more powerful than an Ori ship.