PDA

View Full Version : Over CGI'd?

wkw427
January 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
In S12 and 3, the water effects looked real.

Now come mid season 4, the water looks like jello..

I'm talking about at roughly 17min in when the jumper is flying to Atlantis, after they recruit the travelers..

Anyone agree?

marty2006
January 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I think the camera has had a strange, misty, dreamy, glow to it lol (cant find a word to describe it properly) been very strange and i cant say im a fan of it but it seemed to be away this episode

Pharaoh Atem
January 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
there was one scene last night that was totally cgi (the jumper flying to Atlantis) and the water was cg i think the in house is just trying different things

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
The in-house screwed up, again. The gate only had 8 chevrons.

kirmit
January 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM
One thing I was wondering, did everyone think the scaling was right? As in not 'Camelot' style. If I had to say one thing it was the hives looked a little small compared to the other ships imo, they should've dwarfed all the other ships and I didn't see that in the battle.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
The in-house screwed up, again. The gate only had 8 chevrons.

Why is that such a big deal? I never understand why that is such a big deal.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Why is that such a big deal? I never understand why that is such a big deal.

Because it's down right retarded. What possible reason could they have for it, other than incompetence? It wouldn't be so bad if it had only happened once of twice, but they have been doing it since season 3 at least.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Because it's down right retarded. What possible reason could they have for it, other than incompetence? It wouldn't be so bad if it had only happened once of twice, but they have been doing it since season 3 at least.

It's not like they do it on purpose. Beisdes it's not that big of a deal since that chevron is pointless anyway.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
It's not like they do it on purpose. Beisdes it's not that big of a deal since that chevron is pointless anyway.

Doubtful.

inta
January 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
when has the atlantis stargate ever had 9 chevrons showing?

the final 2 are always embedded in the floor/ramp/whatever.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Doubtful.

Well it never has been utilized. So untill they decide to use it I'm not going to nitpick on that small detail.

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Well it never has been utilized. So untill they decide to use it I'm not going to nitpick on that small detail.

well it is just a minor detail. however I do agree with jenks, they did it right in the past why can't they do it again. it's certainly not that hard, just 9 chevrons instead of 8. it really doesn't bug me but I do see his point

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
well it is just a minor detail. however I do agree with jenks, they did it right in the past why can't they do it again. it's certainly not that hard, just 9 chevrons instead of 8. it really doesn't bug me but I do see his point
I see his point to it just doent bug me. The only time something bugged me in Stargate was the obvious stock shot in the very begining of the season 4 premire of SG-1.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
when has the atlantis stargate ever had 9 chevrons showing?

the final 2 are always embedded in the floor/ramp/whatever.

You're forgetting space gates ;)

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I see his point to it just doent bug me. The only time something bugged me in Stargate was the obvious stock shot in the very begining of the season 4 premire of SG-1.

well then we are in agreement, it doesn't bug us but jenks is right

Gatz
January 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Here's the first full pegasus gate seen on sga
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3897/spaceagetmt9.jpg
So yeah, they do have 9 chevrons.

And the 304/Hive size difference was wrong too
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/8227/hivsdeddymi3.jpg
veeeeeeeeeeery wrong

Land010
January 5th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think he's talking about the space gate, which had 8 cheverons last night as I just checked on the iTunes episode. Not a huge deal but they should get on that. The sizing of the ships may seem off due to distance, keep in mind they were spread out all over the planet according to the council of war. If we say the Deadalus of the Apollo inside a hive it would probobly look similar to the image above.

inta
January 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM
You're forgetting space gates ;)

oh the gate they take to meet the wraith...
forgot that one.

maybe space gates dont use the 9th chevron at all, or are made by asurans or something... a race that has no idea what the 9th chevron is for?

but yeah, shouldn't the 8th chevron be dark anyway?

Gatz
January 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I think he's talking about the space gate, which had 8 cheverons last night as I just checked on the iTunes episode. Not a huge deal but they should get on that. The sizing of the ships may seem off due to distance, keep in mind they were spread out all over the planet according to the council of war. If we say the Deadalus of the Apollo inside a hive it would probobly look similar to the image above.

Don't try to justify the incompetence of the cgi people in the matter of cotinuity, they've confessed they don't care about it and they create animations just based on the coolness factor

Serebii
January 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Don't try to justify the incompetence of the cgi people in the matter of cotinuity, they've confessed they don't care about it and they create animations just based on the coolness factor
Care to state evidence for your rather bold claim?

Gatz
January 5th, 2008, 03:01 PM
It's not like it's real proof but I'm not alone on this one (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6870351&postcount=4). And there's lots of inconsistencies on ship sizes, the daedalus tower's side, 8 chevron gates... to say the opposite

{Mod Snip}

I'm not saying the effects are't cool or that they haven't done a really good work, I'm just saying that they screw it up when there's no need. The tv crew it's not perfect, they're not gods, {mod Snip}

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't call the scaling issue a result of incompetence, as they've made it clear that they make no effort to keep the scaling accurate, they just try and make the best looking shots that they can...

talyn2k1
January 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
You're right about the 8 chevron gates and the Hive/304 size inconsistencies, and you're also right that it is completely unnecessary.
The size inconsistencies can be justified by saying they were just trying to get everything in the shot. It'd look a bit bare if all you could see is one 304 and half a Hive at a time, would really take away from the action of the shot imho.

Personally though, neither of these bother me at all.
Missing 9th chevron - its not used anyway so I really don't care. I rarely notice things like this as the spacegate is normally only visible for a few seconds at a time.
Size inconsistencies - In 'Camelot' it bugged me a little but in BAMSR the battle was just so incredibly cool that I really didn't even notice.

I'm not even that bothered by the 302s/Darts taking out an Aurora, so immense was that battle in its coolness. To me, its easily justified by saying that the Aurora had already taken a few hits from a 304 beam and thus its shields were so unstable that throwing a teddy bear at them would've caused them to collapse.

In the past, I was really bothered by CGI screw ups and inconsistencies in Atlantis. I put that down to cgi being what made the show in the early seasons. Now that the stories and characters have improved, cgi is no longer the main thing for me and I am enjoying the characters and the stories to the extent that cgi flaws are no longer a biggie to me.

SGA has really come in to its own this season. Some of the episodes this season, especially BAMSR, remind me of classic Stargate. There weren't that many episodes last season that I rewatched immediately but I shall be watching BAMSR again tomorrow on the headphones (other half is totally anti-gate) and be watching it on the surround sound next time she's not in!

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
You're right about the 8 chevron gates and the Hive/304 size inconsistencies, and you're also right that it is completely unnecessary.
The size inconsistencies can be justified by saying they were just trying to get everything in the shot. It'd look a bit bare if all you could see is one 304 and half a Hive at a time, would really take away from the action of the shot imho.

Personally though, neither of these bother me at all.
Missing 9th chevron - its not used anyway so I really don't care. I rarely notice things like this as the spacegate is normally only visible for a few seconds at a time.
Size inconsistencies - In 'Camelot' it bugged me a little but in BAMSR the battle was just so incredibly cool that I really didn't even notice.

I'm not even that bothered by the 302s/Darts taking out an Aurora, so immense was that battle in its coolness. To me, its easily justified by saying that the Aurora had already taken a few hits from a 304 beam and thus its shields were so unstable that throwing a teddy bear at them would've caused them to collapse.

In the past, I was really bothered by CGI screw ups and inconsistencies in Atlantis. I put that down to cgi being what made the show in the early seasons. Now that the stories and characters have improved, cgi is no longer the main thing for me and I am enjoying the characters and the stories to the extent that cgi flaws are no longer a biggie to me.

SGA has really come in to its own this season. Some of the episodes this season, especially BAMSR, remind me of classic Stargate. There weren't that many episodes last season that I rewatched immediately but I shall be watching BAMSR again tomorrow on the headphones (other half is totally anti-gate) and be watching it on the surround sound next time she's not in!

I never look that carefully to begin with so it never bothers me. Personally as long as they are keeping my attention with a good stroy and effects then I'm not bothered by it. Sometimes you hve to make a compromise with the scaling in order to get the best shot. And at the end of the day that's what matters for me anyway.

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 06:08 AM
You know you're in trouble when your FX guys can't even count to 9 :P.

VOOK
January 6th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hive Ships are organic right? Couldn't that just mean that one Hive might be bigger then another, they don't come stamped out of a factory.

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Hive Ships are organic right? Couldn't that just mean that one Hive might be bigger then another, they don't come stamped out of a factory.

The armoured hull is organic, it looks asif the structure underneath is built and is likley a standard size which the hull grows around.

VOOK
January 6th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Even then if it had been sitting in the ground (ala Rising) for years and its just grown and grown. Oh well hopefully they sort it all out eventually.

MechaThor
January 6th, 2008, 07:04 AM

The 9th Cheveron will be used and a MAJOR plot point in Stargate:Universe.
There4 i am sure once thats out we will al be saying "Imagine a stragte with only 8? that would be retarded!"

As for the CGI, water is alwasy hard to do, and I am sure the in house effects guys where more concerned with the Massive Space battle, post planet rubble feild and Replizilla attacking the city (Tokyo style).
For me the CGI in the show its always getting better and better, remember how rubbish the GCI Goa'uld use to look? Very green and very fake, them compare it to the more recent CGI gou'ald which looked very life like, same can be said about the Iratus bugs!

However 1 effect in Sins Remembered was when the nanatie cude turned back into a splat, you could see where the CGI turned back into a standing prop as the colour and texture, dramatically changed.
OH! one final question! Was it just me or where the Travelers ships ment to be that big? They where massive next to the Hives, or was it just the angel and problems with distance and scale in space (well low orbit)?

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
In 'Travellers' their ships looked smaller than our ships, I can't remember them looking as big as hives in BAMSR but I'll rewatch it some time.

marty2006
January 6th, 2008, 07:32 AM
OH! one final question! Was it just me or where the Travelers ships ment to be that big? They where massive next to the Hives, or was it just the angel and problems with distance and scale in space (well low orbit)?

nah your right man they for some reason had the hives alot smaller than we previously have seen

MechaThor
January 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
nah your right man they for some reason had the hives alot smaller than we previously have seen

Maybe Baby Hives lol? Or the ones without queens are smaller?
Or maybe they just had alot of CGI to do, and overlooked it?
Where there any Wraith and Replicator Cruisers around?

Also are the Replicator/ancient Cruisers we say in the last ep "Coil" the same ships as the Travelers standard ships?

Cban
January 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Also are the Replicator/ancient Cruisers we say in the last ep "Coil" the same ships as the Travelers standard ships?

when the ships were distroyed they just seperated into blocks especialy when the traveller ship was distroyed it looked so fake

marty2006
January 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM

cant really remember, ill need to give it another watch but there were def darts however the travellers regular ships are of their own making

MechaThor
January 6th, 2008, 07:44 AM
In 'Travellers' their ships looked smaller than our ships, I can't remember them looking as big as hives in BAMSR but I'll rewatch it some time.

I belive there was ONE scene inwhich a Travelers ship (they need a name, for now lets call them BandWagons?) anyways a Travelers Bandwagon flies over/past a Wraith Hiver ship and gets hit by some drones causing it to exsplode, inwhich one of its engine drives heads towards the camera! Do u remember? anyways compared to the hive in the background and Aurora class in the forefground the Bandwagon looked massive!

cant really remember, ill need to give it another watch but there were def darts however the travellers regular ships are of their own making

Ok thanks, its just the two ships (Bandwagons and Ancient crusiers) look very similar from what I can remember, maybe they where mased from the same CGI model.

Anyone else think it feels strange to see massive space battles without Hataks still? I do!

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I belive there was ONE scene inwhich a Travelers ship (they need a name, for now lets call them BandWagons?) anyways a Travelers Bandwagon flies over/past a Wraith Hiver ship and gets hit by some drones causing it to exsplode, inwhich one of its engine drives heads towards the camera! Do u remember? anyways compared to the hive in the background and Aurora class in the forefground the Bandwagon looked massive!

I'll have to watch it later, I only remember the Earth ships looking big compared to hives whereas we know from 'Allies' and 'No mans land' they should be dwarfed.

RepliVeggie
January 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
different planet i guess.

RepliVeggie
January 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Maybe you guys are seeing cruisers and thinking hives? They look very similiar. I am gonna have to rewatch it and see for myself.

s09119
January 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Maybe you guys are seeing cruisers and thinking hives? They look very similiar. I am gonna have to rewatch it and see for myself.

No, they were hives. But I thought the scaling there was pretty good, just a distance-from-camera thing.

However, the 8 chevron gates are really beginning to big the Hell out of me... it was okay in "First Strike" since it was a one-time-use gate, but on every one since then???

jenks
January 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
No, they were hives. But I thought the scaling there was pretty good, just a distance-from-camera thing.

However, the 8 chevron gates are really beginning to big the Hell out of me... it was okay in "First Strike" since it was a one-time-use gate, but on every one since then???

The thing that annoyed me was, the one in Travelers is actually correct if memory serves, so that makes it twice as annoying when they go back to using the wrong ones, unless it's two separate companies who made them...