PDA

View Full Version : Teyla's baby's father?

SG66
January 4th, 2008, 09:11 PM
i missed the name of the father, i want people to first provide me with the name, and talk about the father in this thread.

jenks
January 4th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I think it was Kannan, his name had already been revealed though, in Missing I think.

fugiman
January 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Did it ever show who Kannan is? Because I missed a few episodes of season 4

jenks
January 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Not that I recall.

starfox
January 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM

No; there were no Athosians other than Teyla shown in any Season 4 episode. I think part of the idea behind that is so that we can be as surprised as everyone else when we finally get to see him.

SG66
January 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM
i do wonder how her pregnancy will affect the team now. i am also curious because she says she can feel him, that he is alive. what will happen when they find him?

Eri13
January 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
i missed the name of the father, i want people to first provide me with the name, and talk about the father in this thread.

Kannan has not been shown, but Teyla talked about him a little in Missing. I believe she said they were childhood friends who grew up together, and then when Teyla returned on one of her visits to New Athos, their relationship 'deepened.'

She also mentioned that he had all the qualities of a leader but did not know how to exercise them yet--he was afraid to lead.

That's all we know so far.

triggrhaapi
January 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'm sure they suspended her from active duty so that the actress could have her pregnancy leave. She is actually pregnant you know.

georgi2u
January 5th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Rachel took two months off before she had the baby in October.

triggrhaapi
January 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Rachel took two months off before she had the baby in October.

And Maternity leave generally continues after the baby is born.

Pajus
January 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM

I've said this already, but let me repeat myself:

Teyla has a boyfriend, whose name is awfully close to the Czech word for 'sewer' (one would almost think David Nykl warned TPTB about that) and IMHO - that's exactly where he is right now. And by what I know about TPTB, the poor guy will be killed either off-screen or during his first appearence

Seastallion
January 5th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, I'm hoping it is the Athosian we've seen Teyla training with played by BamBam..! :p I see no reason as to why physical training wouldn't be a common interest that they would share in. As far as I know they've 'named' that particular Athosian. I'm probably wrong though. Oh well...

:)

Rosehawk
January 5th, 2008, 10:03 AM
No; there were no Athosians other than Teyla shown in any Season 4 episode. I think part of the idea behind that is so that we can be as surprised as everyone else when we finally get to see him.
That's actually if we ever do get to see him since we don't know what TPTB have in store for the Athosians. Not knowing should add an element of suspense and anticipation as we see Teyla deal with her pregancy, her people missing and the fact that she now is not allowed to go on missions through the gate which would have helped her search for her baby's father.

ToasterOnFire
January 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I think it is great that Teyla's babies father is Athosian! It helps show her close ties with her people. (Ummm, no jokes were intended ;) )
I can't tell you how thankful I am that it was an Athosian father and not Shep or Ronon. :)

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I can't tell you how thankful I am that it was an Athosian father and not Shep or Ronon. :)

:indeed:

DetriusXii
January 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
They do have an impact on the atlantis expedition. They have an impact on Teyla and her well being and she is part of the atlantis expedition. And what she may or may not do as a result of what is happening to her people and her boyfriend could very well impact the team and the expedition down the road.

And why would you call them primitive? Just because they don't have the luxerites of Atlantis and they live in tents does not make them primitive.

The Atlantis expedition was an expedition to recover technology from the Ancients and to defend earth from hostile threats originating from Pegasus. The Athosians provide no value to the expedition. We can't trade with them. They do not provide us with intel nor means of acquiring weapons. The only impact they could have on Atlantis is if the become security threats. From a military standpoint, and don't try to ignore the military standpoint for your own purposes, they have fulfilled their need. It's time to cut our connections to them. They would have arrived with us to the new planet Atlantis is on, if they were important. They would know our gate address if they were important.

{Mod Snip}

seldear
January 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
In terms of "what do the Athosians have to offer the expedition by way of technology", the answer is "not much".

In terms of "what do the Athosians do for the expedition by providing a window into the Pegasus cultures that Atlantis has become responsible for by waking up the wraith", the answer is "a great deal".

Atlantis is depicted as a closed and insular culture - rather like the USA in many ways. Teyla and Ronon provide a window out of that culture and into Pegasus, which is important for the people in Atlantis to realise that they're part of something larger - to feel a connection with all humanity and not just "people who look like us, think like us, have technology like us".

That, I suspect, is what many of the posters referring to the Athosians as human beings are trying to say.

As to the importance of Teyla's people - the matter is important to Teyla, and therefore would be important to her team-mates and friends in Atlantis in their concern and care for her. That would be the reasoning behind TPTB's inclusion of the hunt for the Athosians this season, I imagine.

Sel.

DetriusXii
January 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
{Mod Snip}

Atlantis has finite resources. They cannot go about saving every individual human life in the two galaxies. Atlantis needs to use their resources wisely if they want to continue to exist. I am not contesting their value to their own lives and their right to life. But there were friends I met in first grade who have disappeared from my life. I don't put much thought wondering what happened to them. Everyone drifts away from friends. The same is true for nation states and should apply to Atlantis. The Athosians cannot interact with us with anything meaningful. Their lives are different than ours and it's simply time we move on.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Atlantis has finite resources. They cannot go about saving every individual human life in the two galaxies. Atlantis needs to use their resources wisely if they want to continue to exist. I am not contesting their value to their own lives and their right to life. But there were friends I met in first grade who have disappeared from my life. I don't put much thought wondering what happened to them. Everyone drifts away from friends. The same is true for nation states and should apply to Atlantis. The Athosians cannot interact with us with anything meaningful. Their lives are different than ours and it's simply time we move on.

It's got nothing to do with friendship, it's about saving human lives, the reason they're fighting the Wraith in the first place.

Mitchell82
January 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
It's got nothing to do with friendship, it's about saving human lives, the reason they're fighting the Wraith in the first place.

Exactly.

Rosehawk
January 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ummm folks, this thread is about Teyla's baby's father.

While the other discussion about the value of the Athosians is great, we might want to consider a different thread for it.

{Mod Snip}

PG15
January 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Actually, I don't think Atlantis is spending much efforts in trying to find the Athosians; only Teyla is, for obvious reasons.

All military logic aside, there is that bit of human compassion that makes us...human. It's our fault that they got uprooted from their planet and lost what they had. They also shared with us their food in the first season when we were cut off from Earth. They may also prove useful later on (because you never know). We don't have many allies as it is, and even a race that's technologically inferior to us could prove useful in the long run.

Basically, if you have good relations with somebody, you try not to cut that bond unless you're forced to. You never known when you may need them again.

{Mod Snip}

Skydiver
January 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I agree with rosehawk, this thread is about the father of teyla's baby, not the saving of lives in the peggy galaxy.

Let's take that discussion elsewhere please

shadowhunter483
January 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
And why would you call them primitive? Just because they don't have the luxerites of Atlantis and they live in tents does not make them primitive.

You know if you think about it, they're probably not that primitive. You see that they have these lighters in Hide and Seek that seem pretty advanced and they seem to understand how P-90s work since they learned how to use them quickly. they just seem to act primitive so the Wraith won't take notice.

kymeric
January 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I bet he will die off in his first appearance too, lol.

I wonder what pregnancy is like for a Telepath like Teyla. Shes only linked with ppl with wraith dna before.... like her kid.

Amalthea
January 5th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I also think Teyla discussed her relationship with the father during Sunday, however I think many people assumed she was talking about Shep. It was when she was walking with the woman who eventually blows up. They kept talking about her feelings for an individual who only got the name "he" and "him" and how Teyla would have to make the first move.

starfox
January 5th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone else tempted to start singing the song "My Baby Daddy" everytime they see this thread title?

g.o.d
January 6th, 2008, 02:14 AM
{Mod Snip}

I agree. I wrote same thing

Rosehawk
January 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I also think Teyla discussed her relationship with the father during Sunday, however I think many people assumed she was talking about Shep. It was when she was walking with the woman who eventually blows up. They kept talking about her feelings for an individual who only got the name "he" and "him" and how Teyla would have to make the first move.
In Sunday, I thought Teyla could have been referring to the military guy that Shep had teased her about in McKay and Mrs. Miller so I was glad that the baby's dad ended up being Athosian. We see so much of Teyla with the Atlantis group and we rarely get to see or hear much about her backstory with her people. I was glad that through the baby's Dad being Athosian TPTB still showed Teyla's close bonds with her people and which also gives us a more conflicted Teyla.

It will be interesting if we get to meet Dad and in what condition he will be in when we do get to meet him cause I think what has happened to her people is a direct result of Misbegotten and Vengence in S3.

prion
January 6th, 2008, 11:27 AM

I don't think so.... back then, the idea that Teyla might be dating was just a throwaway line, really, but with Rachel's real life pregnancy, they had to address the situation, hence, the new guy, Kanan.

LoveConquers
January 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM

No, it was John. Martin Gero confirmed this in the commentary for Sunday in the season three DVD's. Kanan is first mentioned/introduced in Missing.

SG66
January 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM

is it possible that Teyla has feelings for someone and the baby and father is a result of a one night stand?

rarocks24
January 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
is it possible that Teyla has feelings for someone and the baby and father is a result of a one night stand?

Nope. Kanan is one hell of a standup guy, per Teyla's confession, substantiated by Ronon.

Eri13
January 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Nope. Kanan is one hell of a standup guy, per Teyla's confession, substantiated by Ronon.

And Teyla also mentions how close they'd become in "Missing".

Amalthea
January 6th, 2008, 07:48 PM
No, it was John. Martin Gero confirmed this in the commentary for Sunday in the season three DVD's. Kanan is first mentioned/introduced in Missing.

Ahhh, I don't have the DVDs. Good to know! Although it makes them look like they planned ahead without the commentary. LOL

Ruined_puzzle
January 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM

But see if we went by the commentaries that means Shep/Weir made out after Coup D' Etat. lol. If it's not on the show then it isn't canon. Now as much I would have liked for Shep/Weir to have made out after Coup D' Etat well we didn't see it and it wasn't mentioned so it didn't happen.

I have no idea what Teyla possibly liking John or Shep/Weir making out has to do with Teyla's babbydaddy.

I think we may still see Teyla's babbydaddy. I'm pretty sure.

PG15
January 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Oh, we will. They won't cast a guy from "300" and not show him. ;)

Ruined_puzzle
January 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, we will. They won't cast a guy from "300" and not show him. ;)

He better be hot. ;)

LoveConquers
January 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM
But see if we went by the commentaries that means Shep/Weir made out after Coup D' Etat. lol. If it's not on the show then it isn't canon. Now as much I would have liked for Shep/Weir to have made out after Coup D' Etat well we didn't see it and it wasn't mentioned so it didn't happen.

I have no idea what Teyla possibly liking John or Shep/Weir making out has to do with Teyla's babbydaddy.

I think we may still see Teyla's babbydaddy. I'm pretty sure.

Er, not exactly. There's a little important thing called context. They were joking in Coup D' Etat. Martin was not in Sunday. Just a small difference. ;) And in this case, it was on the show. The parallels between the scenes of relationship discussions were written and filmed deliberately and of course, were seen in the episode. For me, that is canon. The context of Martin discussing it was in the filming of of these two scenes and their meaning. Not a joke behind the scenes. Reality on screen.

And it has nothing to do with who Teyla likes. I was explaining to someone else who brought up the episode Sunday that it was not in reference to Kanan as that person suggested. In that sense, it was on topic.

And as PG15 mentioned, Rachel stated in an interview that Kanan was cast by someone from 300. And it was also stated in a spoiler that she sees Kanan in a vision. So it does sound like we'll see him one way or another.

Pajus
January 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM
It is of no consequence. Kannan will be killed either during his first appearence or off-screen - probably by Michael (I've had one more look at JM's poem and I'm changing my estimate to Rodney proposing marriage to Katie and Kannan being killed).

PS: Vengeance was a (very, very, very) poor rip-off of AvP.

jenks
January 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
It is of no consequence. Kannan will be killed either during his first appearence or off-screen - probably by Michael (I've had one more look at JM's poem and I'm changing my estimate to Rodney proposing marriage to Katie and Kannan being killed).

PS: Vengeance was a (very, very, very) poor rip-off of AvP.

We already know Rodney is off to propose when they get trapped in Quarantine. ;)

Pajus
January 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
We already know Rodney is off to propose when they get trapped in Quarantine. ;)

I usually don't read the spoilers, so I might be a little out of date

partly cloudy skies
January 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Isn't Kanan the name of the tok'ra Jack had in season 6 of SG1? I think the writers need to keep a list of names that have been used so they don't keep going back again for the same ones over and over.

prion
January 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Isn't Kanan the name of the tok'ra Jack had in season 6 of SG1? I think the writers need to keep a list of names that have been used so they don't keep going back again for the same ones over and over.

Yup, fans noticed that. The writers obviously aren't keeping track. ;)

Anyway, my guess is that we'll see the father-to-be, but just in this one episode. His options are 1) he mysteriously vanishes, 2) he dies, 3) he survives, and takes the baby with him.

I mean, they've got to do something with the baby. I don't think they'll have the baby roaming around Atlantis as it would really put a crimp in Teyla going offworld...

jenks
January 7th, 2008, 05:07 PM

To be fair, I think it's more unrealistic that we haven't met more people with the same names...

partly cloudy skies
January 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
To be fair, I think it's more unrealistic that we haven't met more people with the same names...

I guess. It's just that there are so many copies of names in the whole stargate universe, like Jack's Sara and Daniel's Sarah and Sam's Jonas and Season 6's Jonas. I don't want it to happen on Atlantis as well.

It's already weird when the same actor or actress is used for a different role on each show. Having a bunch of similar names would be kind of weird.

I wonder if we'll even get to 'meet' Kannan for very long, so to speak.

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 05:22 PM

What?

There are billions of people, hundreds of planets and they are all seperated by hundreds of different cultures all with different names and youre saying that the names should be the same. I guess by that logic they should put some Ivans in the show. Everyone meet Ivan the Lifesucker.

jenks
January 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
What?

There are billions of people, hundreds of planets and they are all seperated by hundreds of different cultures all with different names and youre saying that the names should be the same. I guess by that logic they should put some Ivans in the show. Everyone meet Ivan the Lifesucker.

I doubt there are billions of people in Pegasus, and they are only separated by a short Stargate journey, their cultures would have mixed considerably, probably more so than all the different cultures on Earth.

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I doubt there are billions of people in Pegasus, and they are only separated by a short Stargate journey, their cultures would have mixed considerably, probably more so than all the different cultures on Earth.

I was including the MW Galaxy since Kanan was a Tok'ra. And the other was a Kanan from PG and a Asothisan.

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Probably a coincidence. The human tongue and throat can only make so many sounds.

starfox
January 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I guess. It's just that there are so many copies of names in the whole stargate universe, like Jack's Sara and Daniel's Sarah and Sam's Jonas and Season 6's Jonas. I don't want it to happen on Atlantis as well.

To be fair, both Sara(h)s were on Earth, where Sara(h) is an extremely common name. I can think of at least 5 Sara(h)s who have been in my social circle at various times. Jonas Quinn is less forgivable, since he was alien and one would have expected him to have a slightly different name. Unless, of course, his planet was ruled by a Goa'uld who heard the name Jonas on Earth and mentioned it to someone, who liked it and used it and it then became part of the planetary culture. Which then makes me wonder why we haven seen more common Earth names, but that's another thread altogether.

Amalthea
January 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I hope that if we see him, he's ├╝ber-handsome. Teyla deserves a hot boyfriend if only to make Shep act like a caveman again. lol

Sweetsong
January 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM

There was another Ronon in SG-1 as well, a jaffa that betrayed them in Lost City, the one who almost killed Bratac on the ship. People with the same name doesn't bother me as much as seeing the same actors in different roles, with no type of costuming or make-up to make them look different. But that is not what this thread is about so I'll stop the hijack.

Arga
February 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Probably a coincidence. The human tongue and throat can only make so many sounds.

it's funny also that there is no alien names that can't be pronounced by american actors....