January 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Lets all show some love for this super nice cutie :cool:

Pharaoh Atem
January 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
but she's toast :S

TheJediSpectre
January 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
but she's toast :S

Sad but true :( She will always be remembered.

Myles
January 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Yea, she was definitely a cutie. I seen a picture a while ago and wondered who she was. Too bad she only lasted one episode.:(

jenks
January 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Hawt.

http://stargate.mgm.com/images/stills/still1193943030.jpg

TheJediSpectre
January 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Anyone know the name of the actress ? She must be new to acting

Shah90
January 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
What's the name of the actress that plays Fran?

Vala_M
January 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hawt.

I saw that pic a week or so ago and I figured that she would be an Asuran.

Vala,

Pharaoh Atem
January 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I saw that pic a week or so ago and I figured that she would be an Asuran.

Vala,

the make up kinda gives it away :)

ussrelativity
January 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Didn't get to see the episode. When I do eventually get a chance to see the episode, I'll look for the Fran scenes.

mi4si
January 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
eh, not that hot, but cute for a program I suppose

Pharaoh Atem
January 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
but couldn't Rodney recreate her at will??????

he still has the program in his laptop i would think??

rarocks24
January 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hawt.

She looks familiar. :S

kingsownall
January 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
i think her name is Michelle Morgan, got it off http://www.tv.com/stargate-atlantis/be-all-my-sins-rememberd-2/episode/1057373/summary.html

Land010
January 4th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Fran's personality instantly developed as an amazing character. It's a shame she died in her first episode because she definately has alot of appeal.

rarocks24
January 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM
i think her name is Michelle Morgan, got it off http://www.tv.com/stargate-atlantis/be-all-my-sins-rememberd-2/episode/1057373/summary.html

http://imdb.com/name/nm1382242/

fugiman
January 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Well knowing the TPTB she will be in some Tim-Warp-Black Hole-Field that keeps her alive somehow and then she can come back:D

Land010
January 4th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe McKay will just remake her when he gets bored or stuck again, because she seems to have a very Asuran/Alteran like intelliect despite just being created, or at least seemed to be smarter than McKay in Asuran matters when she told him that the blob will gain control faster than he thought..

SG66
January 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
that would be interesting, having someone with that kind of intellect to help around atlantis, but have McKay alter her base code so that she will be completely loyal to them and not outside interference.

triggrhaapi
January 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
that would be interesting, having someone with that kind of intellect to help around atlantis, but have McKay alter her base code so that she will be completely loyal to them and not outside interference.

She managed to avoid replicator control the first time pretty well...

I also agree, she is a definite cutie.

Darth kat
January 4th, 2008, 11:14 PM
She kind of reminds me of Karen Allen (Raiders of the lost Ark).

ascendedancient42
January 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I really hope they bring Fran back at some point in the future.

I'm sure Rodney will use the same appearance if he ever makes another one for some reason.

Malakriss
January 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Weird question, but given this did involve McKay... are Replicators born naked?

triggrhaapi
January 5th, 2008, 01:12 AM

Yet another reason I wish Stargate was still aired on Showtime.

SierraGolf-OneNiner
January 5th, 2008, 01:13 AM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. :)

2ndgenerationalteran
January 5th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Clothes are made of nanites so she was probably created from a blob to a fully clothed replicator.

Yet she was stunningly beautiful and her mind was seemingly so innoncent. Her story was short but tragic, just she didnt see it that way.

tainor
January 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I wish she was created again, Fran was one of the most likeable characters I've seen in Stargate in just a few minutes. Maybe they could have her around and she could deal with the science part be part of McCay's team, she could be exactly like a Lantean. Stripped of her agression code and all the parts that made the Asurans evil. And be totally loyal to SGA, she could be the DETA of Stargate. Who knows? :P
I only wish she be back.

Tain

Shan Bruce Lee
January 5th, 2008, 05:34 AM
but couldn't Rodney recreate her at will??????

he still has the program in his laptop i would think??

Sounds like something he would do. Would be funny to see his gf catch him with a machine.

McSwift
January 5th, 2008, 06:00 AM
They can always Resserect her character, or bring her character back (if the fans really liked her).

Just like they brought back Beckket's girlfriend!

It would be funny to have an episode where McKay is torn between two women that likes him; FRAN vs. McKay's Current Girlfriend

kirmit
January 5th, 2008, 06:17 AM
You know the character wasn't in the episode long, nor had that many lines but I loved the character, the way she just said hello when confronting the Asurans made me smile, I hope they recreate her and as many have mentioned....she was hot :P.

g.o.d
January 5th, 2008, 06:21 AM
as I wrote a few days ago, it was obvious she'll die. It's a shame because I think she was developing her own personality in the end (she wished Rodney luck). And she was so hot!!

Col. Shadow Quinn
January 5th, 2008, 07:52 AM
A motivator for everyone.

g.o.d
January 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
guys, we MUST spam JM's blog with "save Fran" campaign!!!

Vala_M
January 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Nice job finding her name. That's her.

Vala,

Land010
January 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Save Fran Campaign imo.

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 10:36 AM

That's the one way to guarantee we'll never see her again.

Archaeis
January 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I don't think that this is actually her, but you have to admit it does look like her.

http://womensprowrestling.blogspot.com/2007/10/morgan.html

inta
January 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
"hello"

jenks
January 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think that this is actually her, but you have to admit it does look like her.

http://womensprowrestling.blogspot.com/2007/10/morgan.html

Yeah I saw that, but then I looked at the birthplace and it was different to her IMDb profile...

Land010
January 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM

AMEN TO THAT ONE!

haha She had them at hello :)

luvstarg8sg_1
January 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
What did FRAN stand for??

F R A N
Friendly Replicator I missed the rest????

2ndgenerationalteran
January 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I agree her character was likeable, innoncent, the way Mcay said she heard that Zelenka and himself had names and she wanted one made my heart melt knowing what would happen to her. If they ever make a human form replicator again i hope she is it and a recurring character as a scientific advisor on atlantis.

ascendedancient42
January 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM
What did FRAN stand for??

F R A N
Friendly Replicator I missed the rest????

Friendly
Replicator
ANdroid

Land010
January 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Friendly Replicator Android

1timeposter
January 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM
My one and only post but something for my brothers to enjoy

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1382242/

Go FRAN!

andromeda_dan
January 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Fran reminds me alot of Margot Kidder

renisanz
January 5th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Yes, she was an awesome character. And, since she was a program, there's definitely the possibility of her being recreated by McKay. She did a good job as a technical advisor to him.

MFA
January 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Definitely one of the more likable guest characters on SG.

But did nobody else have a "Weird Science" moment when they first saw Fran?

Vala_M
January 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I know it probably won't happen, but with someone like her around, they could have ZPM's and other technology readily available in no time, especially because the Asurans can process Ancient knowledge very quickly compared to humans understanding.

Vala,

MFA
January 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM
^^
Yea, but that would be too "easy" ... sort of like all the narrow escapes via beaming technology.

It would be nice though ...

garhkal
January 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Definitely one of the more likable guest characters on SG.

But did nobody else have a "Weird Science" moment when they first saw Fran?

I know i did....

PG15
January 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Done.

She's one of the best guest characters I've ever seen. Such a tragic figure. :(

MIZA
January 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
what does Fran stand for again, i believe he said it was an acronymn?

Myles
January 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
what does Fran stand for again, i believe he said it was an acronymn?

It like 3 posts up man, Friendly Replicator ANdroid.

Steve_the_Wraith
January 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Maybe she got rescued by Weir's replicators?

nekoi
January 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
FRAn was adorable... I hope for the possibility to see more of her later.

Lord batchi ball
January 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Maybe she got rescued by Weir's replicators?

Well she was in the core of the blob so she was most likely crushed.

kymeric
January 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted for awesome 'you had me at hallo' ROFL

Admiral Mappalazarou
January 5th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hawt.

She looks like Indy's girlfriend from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n185/mappalazarou/karen.jpg

Thanos
January 5th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I'd think it would take a special set of conditions to cause them to consider reproducing her. They would be under constant fear she would go bad or something.

Too bad, she had me at "Hello" also.

Admiral Mappalazarou
January 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Beat me to it.

Fenrir Foxz
January 6th, 2008, 05:59 AM

I never realised that but yor right;)

wise one
January 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
in a way she looks like that person from coundown carol vorderman or something

Fenrir Foxz
January 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM
in a way she looks like that person from coundown carol vorderman or something

LoL... yeah *similar eyes*...

Cban
January 6th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Yes, she was an awesome character. And, since she was a program, there's definitely the possibility of her being recreated by McKay. She did a good job as a technical advisor to him.

yes we can always make a new one

g.o.d
January 6th, 2008, 06:30 AM
yes we can always make a new one

I hope so

Integrabyte
January 6th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I hope so

He'd better :P

Does anyone have a photo with FRAN, HD or nice resolution ? I am interested in something like when she is beamed on Asuras where you can see her completely. This shots with her head dont really work for the sig I have in mind :P

SGFerrit
January 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
From Martin Gero on Joe's Blog. Probably just being a tease lol, but...

Martin: I think his view, as is mine, is that a digital consciousness can’t technically die. Fran is a physical manifestation of a computer program. That program could conceivably continue existing even after its physical embodiment is destroyed. I think his feeling early in the ep was: “Look, she’s a program. If we want, we can make her another body once we destroy the one she had. She’ll never know the difference.” A hard line that I think softened once he got to know her. Will he actually do that? We’ll see…

Also:

Leliana writes: “Are we going to see the replicators again in season four or do we have to wait for season five? Was this Torri’s last episode of the season? Will we see Fran again? Why the leather on Elizabeth? That didn’t look very replicatorish…

Congrats again!

Martin: “1. There is one more “replicator” story, but it doesn’t involve a “replicator”. 2. Yes. 3. Hopefully 4. I personally am not a fan of how the Replicators look. I wanted something different for Weir. Torri loved the jacket.

So... is he joking, or what?

PG15
January 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hey look, more somewhat good news (from JM's blog):

Leliana writes: “Are we going to see the replicators again in season four or do we have to wait for season five? Was this Torri’s last episode of the season? Will we see Fran again? Why the leather on Elizabeth? That didn’t look very replicatorish…

Congrats again!

Martin: “1. There is one more “replicator” story, but it doesn’t involve a “replicator”. 2. Yes. 3. Hopefully 4. I personally am not a fan of how the Replicators look. I wanted something different for Weir. Torri loved the jacket.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/january-6-2008-guest-starring-martin-gero/

Lord batchi ball
January 6th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Done.

She's one of the best guest characters I've ever seen. Such a tragic figure. :(

I think people like her so much is because we barely no her. Do you like the mail man sure but once you get to know him he could be a complete moron. I like her (as in FRAN) since she's good looking and I have no idea about the character.

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I think people like her so much is because we barely no her. Do you like the mail man sure but once you get to know him he could be a complete moron. I like her (as in FRAN) since she's good looking and I have no idea about the character.

That's true but they could have her recurring, like Larrin.

Lord batchi ball
January 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
That's true but they could have her recurring, like Larrin.

Yes if only they undo what happened in the previous episode. If there was only a machine that could go back in time. I got it! A machine time! I'll worl on the name.

But all seriously they could.

PG15
January 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM
No, I think there's a difference. She's just so innocent and child-like, without being a brat. Besides the fact that she's hot, there is just something...awesome, about her personality.

jenks
January 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM
The perfect woman. You can program her to do anything you want... Anything. :D

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
No, I think there's a difference. She's just so innocent and child-like, without being a brat. Besides the fact that she's hot, there is just something...awesome, about her personality.

That's the problem though, someone like that with such a simple mind would be hard to constantly keep interesting, I think it would be better in small doses. It's like you eat some pudding and really like it, you eat loads of it you feel sick and never want to see it again but having it now and again works, you don't overindulge.

Jumper_One
January 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
The perfect woman. You can program her to do anything you want... Anything. :D

now that's what I call a good idea :D

Enzo Aquarius
January 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
We definitely have to have Fran come back in Season 5. :D

garhkal
January 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I'd think it would take a special set of conditions to cause them to consider reproducing her. They would be under constant fear she would go bad or something.

Too bad, she had me at "Hello" also.

Props to Jerry Maguire maybe??

Thanos
January 6th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Props to Jerry Maguire maybe??
Honestly I was going off someone else's post, but I do believe that was the origin of the quote.

Amalthea
January 6th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised Rodney didn't make her blond.

Mefusta
January 7th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I'm surprised Rodney didn't make her blond.Probably had his fill during his trip to Geldar last season. :p

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of you. There's just something so adorable about the character, almost childlike in nature, which makes her sacrifice all the more saddening. It'd be nice to see Fran again in the future, which is definitely a possibility given the continuation of the replicator threat.

SpikeBad
January 7th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I would love to see her again as well. She could definitely be a very interesting character. Much like Deta from Star Trek as someone said before. I really hope she comes back.

Kribby
January 7th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Clothes are made of nanites so she was probably created from a blob to a fully clothed replicator.

Yet she was stunningly beautiful and her mind was seemingly so innoncent. Her story was short but tragic, just she didnt see it that way.

The human form replicators made of blocks from Stargate... um.... season 8 ... 2nd episode New Order, Part 2-- they are born naked. You are likely thinking of the scene in the end of the episode when 5th makes Repli-Carter and she is naked and covered with a clearish jelly like substance.

Perhaps her being naked was just for effect...

jenks
January 7th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The human form replicators made of blocks from Stargate... um.... season 8 ... 2nd episode New Order, Part 2-- they are born naked. You are likely thinking of the scene in the end of the episode when 5th makes Repli-Carter and she is naked and covered with a clearish jelly like substance.

Perhaps her being naked was just for effect...

They're not the same sort of replicator though.

gopher65
January 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of you. There's just something so adorable about the character, almost childlike in nature, which makes her sacrifice all the more saddening.
(emphasis mine)

That's the word, adorable. I didn't think she was hot, but she was definitely cute and adorable:). Completely innocent characters usually are. Going back to someone else's post, how long do you think it will be before Rodney will try to create a ZedPM (and something will go *horribly* wrong!)? Then Rodney will have to reactivate her to figure out how to shut it down before it destroys, oh, lets say the galaxy. Then F.R.AN. can sacrifice herself... again.

Sounds like a good episode to me :D

Killdeer
January 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I liked Fran - I hope we see her again. :) She was one of the best parts of this episode.

As to the actress - she reminds me of Eliza Dushku, but with different colored eyes.

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I liked Fran - I hope we see her again. :) She was one of the best parts of this episode.
As to the actress - she reminds me of Eliza Dushku, but with different colored eyes.

Yes she was good but the only reason is because 1 she is hot and 2 she never spoke more than a dozen lines.

Killdeer
January 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Yes she was good but the only reason is because 1 she is hot and 2 she never spoke more than a dozen lines.

Well, those may be your reasons. ;)

I liked her because I thought the actress was good and I enjoyed the interaction she had with Rodney. I'd like to see more of that.

Lord batchi ball
January 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Well, those may be your reasons. ;)

I liked her because I thought the actress was good and I enjoyed the interaction she had with Rodney. I'd like to see more of that.

Seems fare :D

FirePhoenix
January 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Yea I'm in agreement with the majority. FRAN really worked as a character in this episode and would definately fit in along side the scientist side of Atlantis. She can be a sub character much like Hermiod on the Daedeleus.

Yes!

PG15
January 7th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Yes! I thought it was Dushku when I first saw the pics. I had to look twice to make sure that it wasn't her.

It's strange...it actually bothers me to have another copy of FRAN made. I mean, she'll probably be exactly the same, but the FRAN that died in BAMSR seemed special.

Very strange.

[SGC_ReplicÅtors]
January 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
i have to say she was a cutie alright, innocent, smart, always smiling! but man bringing her back seems kinda impossible she was the center of that big blob thing.

And i cant get that quote out of my head either

"One wishes to fulfill onces self...quote" i think i quoted it wrong but u no what i mean.

Myles
January 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
;7535099']i have to say she was a cutie alright, innocent, smart, always smiling! but man bringing her back seems kinda impossible she was the center of that big blob thing.

And i cant get that quote out of my head either

"One wishes to fulfill onces self...quote" i think i quoted it wrong but u no what i mean.

I'm pretty sure it was 'one wishes to fulfill ones purpose' and being programmed with an inherent purpose it was easy and gratifying to do so. Humans on the other had have been looking for our 'purpose' probably since we gained sentience. That's why I think it evokes moral issues from people who believe she was sent to her 'death' even though she was happily doing so because of her programming.

gopher65
January 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Have you ever heard someone, usually an old person, say something like "I've raised my children and seen my grandchildren. I'm content to die."?

The entire purpose of all biological beings is to procreate. Once we have successfully procreated and seen to it that our offspring survive (and in the case of some species also help protect the offspring of their offspring), we have completed our purpose and feel content to die if it can't be avoided.

FRAN was no different, she just had a different purpose than we do. Even though she had to die to complete that purpose, it made her happy to do so. Kinda like how a mother will die to protect her children, and die with a smile on her face if she succeeds.

Integrabyte
January 8th, 2008, 03:28 PM
FRAN freaked out Zelenka so badly :P

kymeric
January 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Have you ever heard someone, usually an old person, say something like "I've raised my children and seen my grandchildren. I'm content to die."?

Yeah im only 30 and id be ok with death. Ive done much of what i wanted and would be goign out happy. Not that i WANT to but if i trip in the subway and have 30 seconds to review my life before my brains get mashed, id be okay with it.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
FRAN: One always wishes to fulfil one's purpose.

McKay can interpret this in a different way that will be quite interesting, if you know what i mean. But in all seriousness it was sad to see her go, but its odd because she went out happy, yet her story was quite brief and tragic. If i properly understand the term Tabula Rasa correctly i believe it applies. Possibly one of the best guest characters.

avidffan
January 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Well knowing the TPTB she will be in some Tim-Warp-Black Hole-Field that keeps her alive somehow and then she can come back:D

yeah ive got a fran comeback for you

its a huge mess of a thought with no real seriousness behind it kinda like politics

only read it if you want a smart childs take on this thought its for pure fun and luaghs

she manages to hold the reps together long enough for them to form a hyperspace drive before the plant explodes
and comes back as a giant replibeing thats good and wants to help atlantis
but the splitter group doesnt like her (theyve gained human jealousy) and a battle ensues
they fight
giant replifran is just grabbing ships out of space and assimilating them as the reps blast off parts of her
in the end mckay uses the same type of program to condense them down to a paper weight with frans smiling face on it for the newly instated commadneders of atlatis repliweir(having proved herself trustworthy once again) and carter

Overture
January 9th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I also liked that she second guessed him, and because he created her, or for whatever other reason, perhaps being unsettled about her seeming so human, he didn't really argue or put up the fight he usually does when someone contradicts his conclusions.

So what is it?

a) He's unsettled by her human-ness and willingness to sacrifice herself
b) He can't argue with women (with the exception of his sister)
c) He doesn't argue much because he created her and has therefore decided she can't be wrong.
d) He's just caught up in the moment.
e) Any other suggestions?

ascendedancient42
January 9th, 2008, 06:11 AM
All of the above?

garhkal
January 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Too dumb founded for her beauty.

avidffan
January 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
too caught up the fact that once again
he saved the day
becuase he created her to do just that
and she did
and so did he

Enokrad
January 10th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Fran was just another step in the evolution of the series. The time has come that we started playing with nanotechnology. Fran was the first. i cant wait to see what else McKay ends up building other than the Human form replicator. After Fran he will start playing with the technology to sort out the bugs in giving shape to objects. after that the possibilities will be endless. The question will be if we end up getting stabbed in the back by our own arrogance by playing with fire?

VSS
January 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Fran was just another step in the evolution of the series. The time has come that we started playing with nanotechnology. Fran was the first. i cant wait to see what else McKay ends up building other than the Human form replicator. After Fran he will start playing with the technology to sort out the bugs in giving shape to objects. after that the possibilities will be endless. The question will be if we end up getting stabbed in the back by our own arrogance by playing with fire?

Maybe the question really is- how deep will it go when we do get stabbed?

too caught up the fact that once again
he saved the day
becuase he created her to do just that
and she did
and so did he

I don't know it that was supposed to be a poem, but it was a good one.

Anyway, I thought FRAN was a doll, (almost literally) and it was interesting to see the reactions of the crew. Carter's been down this road before- in fact she used the exact words Daniel used in Pretense- "self-awareness." But, did she forget Replicarter, Reese and Fifth? I thought that was strange. McKay gives her the "You wouldn't feel sorry about your bullets and your bombs," speech and then ends up having FRAN console him over her impending demise. Sheppard sees her for what she is but then takes off- who knows what he'd have thought if he'd been around her much longer. I'm glad they killed sweet FRAN on purpose because it puzzles me that the team still has a hard time believing attractive, pleasant, replicators aren't human.

Including the ones that look just like Weir.

I'd like to see FRAN back, though. She was terrific. The best suicide mission, ever, ever.

silkie
January 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I liked her and I was grateful she wasn't blonde and blue-eyed...

avidffan
January 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know it that was supposed to be a poem, but it was a good one.

Anyway, I thought FRAN was a doll, (almost literally) and it was interesting to see the reactions of the crew. Carter's been down this road before- in fact she used the exact words Daniel used in Pretense- "self-awareness." But, did she forget Replicarter, Reese and Fifth? I thought that was strange. McKay gives her the "You wouldn't feel sorry about your bullets and your bombs," speech and then ends up having FRAN console him over her impending demise. Sheppard sees her for what she is but then takes off- who knows what he'd have thought if he'd been around her much longer. I'm glad they killed sweet FRAN on purpose because it puzzles me that the team still has a hard time believing attractive, pleasant, replicators aren't human.

Including the ones that look just like Weir.

I'd like to see FRAN back, though. She was terrific. The best suicide mission, ever, ever.

yeah i know what you mean
its a thought that i had while reading this thread
so as far as a poem goes
i guess you could call it an incidental one

and for the use of fran as a weapon i see mckays point
she was just created for this purpose and none other moments before his presentaion
now the other reps that your talking about were made to live and have lives unlike fran so i could see why carter didnt say anthing knowing her purpose

but it still brings up all the same old questions of moarllity and ethics we seem to see alot more of on atlantis

at the end of the day it was a great episode and i loved fran
i hope they find a way for mcaky to bring her back

like zelenka saying "oh yeah didnt i tell you i copied her mind right before we blew the plant , yeah we can reproduce her anytime "

that would rock

thanks

IlluZen
January 13th, 2008, 07:27 AM

The entire purpose of all biological beings is to procreate. Once we have successfully procreated and seen to it that our offspring survive (and in the case of some species also help protect the offspring of their offspring), we have completed our purpose and feel content to die if it can't be avoided.

FRAN was no different, she just had a different purpose than we do. Even though she had to die to complete that purpose, it made her happy to do so. Kinda like how a mother will die to protect her children, and die with a smile on her face if she succeeds.

I dunno. Biological imperatives aside, I'd like to think there's more to life than just mere survival and making babies. There're lots of people who live happy and fulfilling lives and don't have children (and lots of people with children that die miserable). People can survive with a minimum of education flipping burgers at McDonald's, but most people want to go to college and get a well-paid job to buy TVs, video games, and material possessions for entertainment. Not to mention gather power, or prestige, or fame, or change the world, etc.

And Fran was not old and wizened with a long life stretched out behind her; that changes perspectives. She was like that kind of butterfly that only lives for a day, I think.

We humans in general want more, longer, and better, so we find it strange when someone (er...something?) is happy with her (short) lot in life. Even the other replicators wanted to make themselves better than their creators, something we as humans can understand. McKay expressed this confusion admirably.

gopher65
January 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I dunno. Biological imperatives aside, I'd like to think there's more to life than just mere survival and making babies.
Nonononono. Not what makes you happy. What you are MEANT for. If you 'believe' in evolution then the answer is clear: all beings must pass on their genetic material. That is the single purpose (if you want to call it that) that we have.

If you don't like evolution, well, then it sucks to be you;). But for all the hardcore literalist Christians out there, "Go Forth and Multiply".

IlluZen
January 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Nonononono. Not what makes you happy. What you are MEANT for. If you 'believe' in evolution then the answer is clear: all beings must pass on their genetic material. That is the single purpose (if you want to call it that) that we have.

If you don't like evolution, well, then it sucks to be you;). But for all the hardcore literalist Christians out there, "Go Forth and Multiply".

Evolution is a theory of how we came to be, not where we are going. And its a completely reactionary theory: it can't predict where we're going as a species, or what we were 'meant for,' because by that theory, we weren't meant for anything. We just exist for a set of specific reasons.

And there's a lot of gray space in between hardcore evolutionists and literalist Christians which you seem to be ignoring (buddhists, for example).

Pharaoh Atem
January 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Offically save fran campaign http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=7566591#post7566591

show your support

I've never done this before so bear with me

avidffan
March 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I liked her and I was grateful she wasn't blonde and blue-eyed...
yes i agree with that
also im glad they didnt try to make her look sexy or sleezy
cos ive seem pics of the actress and she is sexy not sleezy

Fenrir Foxz
March 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Offically save fran campaign http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=7566591#post7566591

show your support

I've never done this before so bear with me

WOW! I didn't know there was a campaign to save F.R.AN... Thanks for teh info Atem :)