PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art Looks Awesome!

Major_Griff
January 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
The new cover art for AoT looks great! http://www.gateworld.net/movies/images/02_30.jpg.shtml This makes me want to see the movie so bad! Can't wait till march!

jenks
January 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think it looks awful. The one that looked like the poster looked intriguing, this one just looks plain cheesy, I wouldn't pick that up if I didn't know what it was.

the fifth man
January 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Personally, I don't think it looks cheesy at all. This cover works just fine for me. I'm just happy all 5 SG-1 team members are included on the cover.

jenks
January 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
The 5 of them being on the cover is what makes it cheesy for me, I've always cringed at the DVD covers because of it.

Toast King
January 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Its dumb...Vala is out of uniform...it shatters the illusion that they are all on SG-1. Vala is just kind of there.

Trek_Girl42
January 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Wow.....they made Amanda Tapping look dreadful. :S Her head looks like it was just stuck on there, kinda bobble-head like..... I wonder how on earth can they make her look so terrible.....again. :( And Claudia Black looks really odd as well! These are two very beautiful women without all the photoshopping crap, and yet they have to go messing with the frakking pictures to make them look.....like this. :mad:

I liked the preliminary cover art much better as well. This seems to be a new trend in Stargate. Early on release something that looks great (first Atlantis season three cover anyone?), then sweep it to the side for something that looks a downright mess.

ussrelativity
January 3rd, 2008, 07:48 PM
I think the art looks good.

I also put up a thread regarding the cover art. Guess I wasn't first this time.

Mister Oragahn
January 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
The new cover art for AoT looks great! http://www.gateworld.net/movies/images/02_30.jpg.shtml This makes me want to see the movie so bad! Can't wait till march!

That's what you call awesome?

Allow me to disagree. The writings are lame. Even the composition is a quick job.

Seriously, for Space Opera, that's some real crap.

I don't really want to look like someone who gets pleasure at bashing every single bit of the film, because I'd have prefered to love it, but even the title sucks, and the whole "art" is just as uninspired as the film.

ToasterOnFire
January 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Did they just take the s10 promo shots of the team and smash them together? AT's chin/jaw looks bad, CB is still wearing those awful pigtails (did she wear them in the movie?), and CJ looks...off somehow (gaunt even? or does he just look normal compared to the over-photoshopping of everyone else?).

Not as horrid as the SGA s3 cover, but still pretty meh. :S

ussrelativity
January 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Well, for me the characters look great. The layout of each of them in a slant is good for the overall top of the cover, and the text is easy to read.

I prefer Vala with the pigtails. It sets her apart from the other female characters in Stargate.

ValaMalduran
January 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I like the colour scheme.

A.

Drax
January 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
A-

For the great colour scheme and layout. Loses a couple of points for the lack of Adria, though she might be on the back.

:jack:

Reichiru
January 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think it looks awful. They always feel the need to flip the actors backward or something and it really screws up the way Amanda looks (Both MS and AT are flipped... everyone else seems normal). Not to mention I always feel the Photoshopping is a bit over the top on touch-ups (at least I feel they did on Vala).

And oh my God... that font! Isn't that Papyrus? Ew.

I think it would have been better if they tried to make it obvious this is a movie... not an add-on to the season 10 DVDs. I would have been more impressed if they had gone with some cool graphic of the Stargate, like they did at the bottom, and left out the cast picture... or had a cool action shot from the movie instead.

Drax
January 3rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Well, I would have liked a Drew Struzan type cover, but we can't always win.

Ladyinred
January 3rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
The 5 of them being on the cover is what makes it cheesy for me, I've always cringed at the DVD covers because of it.

SG-1 is: Vala, Daniel, Teal'c, Mitchell, Carter = 5 people. Why exactly should any of them be excluded from the cover?

jenks
January 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Having them all just in a line like that posing? They should have excluded them all from the cover, it looks cheap and tacky as hell.

Major_Griff
January 3rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
To the people saying they like the AoT poster better than the cover, a movie's poster is rarely if ever used as the DVD cover art so I don't know why people thought the poster would be on the DVD cover.

saberhagen83
January 4th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Having them all just in a line like that posing? They should have excluded them all from the cover, it looks cheap and tacky as hell.

I agree. For me it worked on the boxsets, but with a movie it just feels odd. They talk about people not having seen the show getting this, but honestly if I didn't already know about the show I wouldn't be interested in picking this one up. I think they need to skip the cast shot, or add them into the cover in a different way. The bottom part of this is the best. Now if they would have kept the whole cover like that, it would look far more intriguing for someone not familiar with SG1.

Seeing the promoshots I thought they did a good job, and seriously toned down the photoshopping. But looking at the cover, Amanda, Michael and Claudia look weird...especially Amanda and Claudia.

Egle01
January 4th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I see most are not pleased. I was thrilled when I saw the news, and seeing that cover... Well, I wasn't very disappointed. Not at all. I expected it to be something like that. Wasn't heavily surprised.
The truth is I'm gonna buy the DVD no matter what. Yes, CB seems little weird, and that font too lame...
It's still the same movie I've been waiting for ages.

Fenrir Foxz
January 4th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The cover art looks good but I liked the poster more (IMO they should have used that) nevermind though it's nothing to really complain about...

7/10

Lord Zedd
January 4th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I like the cover art but it is indeed a shame Vala is out of uniform. Still I'm glad she is on the cover art because she wasn't in the promo pictures that many people have been up set about.

Agent_Dark
January 4th, 2008, 02:50 AM
looks pretty amateur

g.o.d
January 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
it's awful. They used old Vala's pic from season 10 :rolleyes:

Pharaoh Atem
January 4th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Its dumb...Vala is out of uniform...it shatters the illusion that they are all on SG-1. Vala is just kind of there.

that's the only part that bothers me ......she should either be in uniform or no there at all.

SGFerrit
January 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM
That's what you call awesome?

Allow me to disagree. The writings are lame. Even the composition is a quick job.

Seriously, for Space Opera, that's some real crap.

I don't really want to look like someone who gets pleasure at bashing every single bit of the film, because I'd have prefered to love it, but even the title sucks, and the whole "art" is just as uninspired as the film.

Well, you do. This isn't even about the movie, it's about the cover art for the DVD. The fact that you came in here and moaned about the film makes you look exactly like the thing you don't want to come across as.

I would go on to talk about how much I enjoyed the film, but this isn't the place.

I personally like the box art, I like the color and I hope the other movies boxes have some sort of similar cover art with different color schemes and images. I thought CB was heavily pregnant when the new pics were taken, so they couldn't get a new one of her.

Egle01
January 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Now I'd like to know, how's the disc gonna look. :rolleyes: :D

Ladyinred
January 4th, 2008, 09:29 AM

The reason to this is that the promo shots for The Ark of Truth were being taken when Claudia Black was 5 months pregnant with her second baby, so she simply wasn't able to take part in the photo session. But now, when she's back to her "normal" self - her second baby was born at the beginning of November - it would be great if MGM/Fox finished the job with promo pics and take a few pics of Vala in uniform, it's still plenty of time to change the art cover.

Nikki
January 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Wow.....they made Amanda Tapping look dreadful. :S Her head looks like it was just stuck on there, kinda bobble-head like..... I wonder how on earth can they make her look so terrible.....again. :( And Claudia Black looks really odd as well! These are two very beautiful women without all the photoshopping crap, and yet they have to go messing with the frakking pictures to make them look.....like this. :mad:

I liked the preliminary cover art much better as well. This seems to be a new trend in Stargate. Early on release something that looks great (first Atlantis season three cover anyone?), then sweep it to the side for something that looks a downright mess.

that's the only part that bothers me ......she should either be in uniform or no there at all.

Agree with everyone, here. Both Amanda and Claudia are very beautiful women and they made them both look terrible with photoshop or whatever. :daniel09: And why is Vala out of uniform? She's part of SG1 (and you wouldn't think it, looking at the cover) - seeing as they were editing the photos anyway why not just put her in uniform if they couldn't get CB for another photo (as she may have been pregnant)?

The poster was far better and this is rather cheesy - I'd give it a 3/10 (boys don't look so bad).

npd2004
January 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Not really liking this cover. It's like a bad photoshop. The papyrus font is just horrible to look at. It really seems like they just threw this whole movie together to wrap things up, and didn't put a whole lot of effort into it. Also, remember folks criticism is a good thing, when done properly. If we all just endlessly praise TPTB, quality suffers. If you don't like something, say so.

SpyDude
January 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I would have preferred both of these over the DVD cover:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/StargateSG-1_ArkOfTruth.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/Promo_plakat_aot.jpg

i like it plain.

jenks
January 4th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Covers look much better when they're understated in my opinion.

ToasterOnFire
January 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I agree with those who said that the cover would have been better without the cast. Looks nicer, IMO.

Trek_Girl42
January 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I agree. For me it worked on the boxsets, but with a movie it just feels odd. They talk about people not having seen the show getting this, but honestly if I didn't already know about the show I wouldn't be interested in picking this one up. I think they need to skip the cast shot, or add them into the cover in a different way. The bottom part of this is the best. Now if they would have kept the whole cover like that, it would look far more intriguing for someone not familiar with SG1.

Seeing the promoshots I thought they did a good job, and seriously toned down the photoshopping. But looking at the cover, Amanda, Michael and Claudia look weird...especially Amanda and Claudia.
Honestly, if I did not know what it was, I would never pick this movie off the shelf based on this cover. :(

The reason to this is that the promo shots for The Ark of Truth were being taken when Claudia Black was 5 months pregnant with her second baby, so she simply wasn't able to take part in the photo session. But now, when she's back to her "normal" self - her second baby was born at the beginning of November - it would be great if MGM/Fox finished the job with promo pics and take a few pics of Vala in uniform, it's still plenty of time to change the art cover.
Didn't know that! Thanks for the info. :)

i like it plain.
I do not like that first one at all (that strikes me as something slapped together at the last minute), but I LOVE that second one- really nicely done there. And there was a version of that second one that was the preliminary cover art. It would have made a great cover! I have to aggree with all those who said that the cast on the cover worked for the season sets, but it just doesn't for this. :(

kirmit
January 6th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I like it but it could be alot better.

VOOK
January 6th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Looks fine, Vala non-uniform appeareance doesn't worry me.

Randy_Watson
January 6th, 2008, 07:20 AM

i like it plain.

I've never downloaded a custom cover, but if someone makes one with that second picture, I will gladly scoop it up.

Mana
January 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
looks pretty amateur

Agree with everyone, here. Both Amanda and Claudia and very beautiful women and they made them both look terrible with photoshop or whatever. :daniel09: And why is Vala out of uniform? She's part of SG1 (and you wouldn't think it, looking at the cover) - seeing as they were editing the photos anyway why not just put her in uniform if they couldn't get CB for another photo (as she may have been pregnant)?

The poster was far better and this is rather cheesy - I'd give it a 3/10 (boys don't look so bad).

I agree on both counts.

Also, am I the only person here wonder wth they were thinking using Papyrus for the font? =/ Honestly, I could have done a better job of this. It's a disgrace to us artists who are actually GOOD at what we do. =/

npd2004
January 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I agree on both counts.

Also, am I the only person here wonder wth they were thinking using Papyrus for the font? =/ Honestly, I could have done a better job of this. It's a disgrace to us artists who are actually GOOD at what we do. =/

I'm with you on the papyrus font. There isn't even anything Egyptian about this movie.

Jonzey
January 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
You know what they should do? They should have a special edition case which is made of metal and round and looks like the stargate, then you can have the title on the event horizon on one side and the usual blurb on the other side.

jenks
January 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'm with you on the papyrus font. There isn't even anything Egyptian about this movie.

There isn't anything Egyptian about that papyrus font either.

Vala_M
January 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I agree on both counts.

Finally, someone else who knows fonts! I hate that they used that font. Anything else would have been better.

Vala,

Mana
January 16th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Finally, someone else who knows fonts! I hate that they used that font. Anything else would have been better.

Vala,
lol. thanks! Back at ya! lol. Seriously, if I could go back in time and remove 2 things from existance, they would be Comic Sans and Papyrus. :3

In any case, I'd like to meet the idiot "graphic designer" who made the cover art for this and beat them with "Typography for Dummies." ^^

FallenAngelII
January 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
What's with the weird font on "Ark of Truth"? I don't remember ever seeing it on any of the Stargates before.

Anyway, while it doesn't look bad, it's in no way awesome. I think it looks "good". Could've been better. Personally, if I weren't a Stargate fan, I doubt I would've given this DVD a 2nd look had I just passed it randomly on a shelf.

It's well put together and I like the filters used, but it's not very "Springs out at you and attracts the attention of random passerbys"-like.

Vala_M
January 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
lol. thanks! Back at ya! lol. Seriously, if I could go back in time and remove 2 things from existance, they would be Comic Sans and Papyrus. :3

In any case, I'd like to meet the idiot "graphic designer" who made the cover art for this and beat them with "Typography for Dummies." ^^

Totally! I hate those fonts!

They should have used Palatino, Bank Gothic or Compacta, which are the Stanard Stargate fonts.

Vala,

Ladyinred
January 16th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Totally! I hate those fonts!

They should have used Palatino, Bank Gothic or Compacta, which are the Stanard Stargate fonts.

Vala,

I like the font they used for AoT. It fits.

the fifth man
January 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Overall, I really like the cover art. The font just wasn't really a big deal to me.

Fenrir Foxz
January 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Yeah I like the font;)...

Overall, I really like the cover art. The font just wasn't really a big deal to me.

Same here, and really as long as it is acceptable it doesn't really matter too much because we wont be buying it just to look at the cover...

FallenAngelII
January 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Same here, and really as long as it is acceptable it doesn't really matter too much because we wont be buying it just to look at the cover...
But that's the problem. They made a pretty big mistake here. The people who were already fans will buy the movie... those who are either casual viewers or have barely heard of the show or maybe never ever heard of it at all will pass the movie on the shelf and possibly not even notice it.

The tones are quick subdued and nothing jumps out at you. It's bad marketing to the masses.

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
But that's the problem. They made a pretty big mistake here. The people who were already fans will buy the movie... those who are either casual viewers or have barely heard of the show or maybe never ever heard of it at all will pass the movie on the shelf and possibly not even notice it.

The tones are quick subdued and nothing jumps out at you. It's bad marketing to the masses.

Yeah I see what you mean but there is the fact that Continuum is more likely to bring new fans to the show whereas AoT was wrapping up to Ori story and not many people that were not watching S9+10 will really consider buying it... That said there is alot to be desired with the cover art but I do like it enough to not really say anything bad about it, I agree that TPTB should have though about making it more appealing but with what I have seen it looks like AoT is going to do pretty well based on something I've seen in the AoT unofficial thread...

Originally Posted by morjana
Stargate SG-1: SciFi Wire: Ark of Truth on Top Ten SF& F DVD Sales:

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/

Top Ten SF&F DVD Sales

Battlestar Galactica season three
Ratatouille
Lost season three
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Family Guy: Blue Harvest
Blade Runner (Blu-ray)
Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Battlestar Galactica: Razor
Resident Evil: Extinction

Source: Amazon.com, top-selling genre DVDs, 1/11/08

I just hope that more though is put into making Continuum cover art more appealing, It wont really matter too much to me but seeing that there are people that see AoT's cover art not as good as it should be, well it is the future of Stargate SG1 they are selling after all and I would think they want these D2D movies to stand out/look interesting and potentially bring new fans to the franchise...

FallenAngelII
January 17th, 2008, 07:29 AM
What if they made the cover art so appealing people who had never watched Stargate before or hadn't really watched much of it picked the movie up and watched it? Some of them might then go and buy seasons 9-10 to get the full story on the Ori.

SierraGolf-OneNiner
January 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I just hope that more though is put into making Continuum cover art more appealing, It wont really matter too much to me but seeing that there are people that see AoT's cover art not as good as it should be, well it is the future of Stargate SG1 they are selling after all and I would think they want these D2D movies to stand out/look interesting and potentially bring new fans to the franchise...

You know, it doesn't really matter how the Continuum cover will look. As long as they make those unappealing stories I don't even want to see it. Perhaps I buy Continuum for the sake of completeness but that would be all. I hate(!) time travel stories they're done to death and the fact that the

original timeline will be slightly altered at the end of the movie

makes me already going to pass by that movie.

As for Ark of Truth. It's one of the worst DVD Covers I have seen. As a casual viewer or a newbie to the franchise I would just walk by and think "ugh what the frell is this?"

I even had the opportunity to see the movie.

They made a frelling Replicator episode out of it. What's wrong with the writers? That wasn't what I wanted to see. I wanted to see an epic Ori Storyline end type of movie. But man was I disappointed.

I just hope that the third movie, if it ever happens, will have an engaging and original story behind it. That means no replicators, no ori, no goa'uld and especially no NID or The Trust. Go back to the roots of Stargate. Explore a new planet and make the archeological find of the century or something like that. Sorry for rambling on and on. I just think TPTB could do a whole lot better as what they give us lately (Season 4 of Atlantis).

Fenrir Foxz
January 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM
What if they made the cover art so appealing people who had never watched Stargate before or hadn't really watched much of it picked the movie up and watched it? Some of them might then go and buy seasons 9-10 to get the full story on the Ori.

Yeah that is a possibility, funny this was discussed on another thread about wether AoT would appeal to anyone not already a fan... I do think there will be some people that will watch the film *never having given stargate a chance before* like it and start watching the series, but IMO Continuum will be better suited to drawing in new fans... AoT isn't as self-contained and eventhough the official version will include a feature giving a backstory to the movie it just wont have a big impact on people that havn't been watching stargate the last couple of years... I hope it does attract new fans and there are people out there open minded enough to give the movie a chance but my money would be on Continuum...

Natasha
January 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I actually like it. Dont see anything wrong with the cover.
Cant wait to see it! The screen caps and promo pictures are great as well.:)

jamesgilfoyle
January 22nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
Its revolting! The worst mishmash of mirror flipped overly photoshopped, bad fonts and bland colours - ever. Period. It looks cheap. It looks taccy. And it looks plain old bad...

Incase you hadnt already guessed; im not too much of a fan of the AOT dvd art. To say that i really dont like it, would be quite the understatement.

I dont see how this would appeal to a new audience - i dont see how this even looks like a movie to be frank - i dont see how this is going to do well - and i dont see how somebody could actually get paid, and get away with making such a pile of... crap.

I just WISH that we could have had no characters prominant the way they are and just had a simple gate graphic along with the ori pendant - basically just a big version of whats at the extreme lower left of the art - with the ark of truth being in a much more appealing, proffessional looking font.

[/rant]

Im still going to be buying it though :P