PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Torchwood website blocked?

Dusk
January 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Only U.K. based people can view the webpage, how stupid! What is the pathetic reason for this? Viewing episodes online at U.S. sites I can understand them being blocked, but this is just a text and images page, and it's blocked!

What's on there Brits? This Aussie wants to know please.

ShadowMaat
January 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
You think they'll tell us? Pfft! It's all a big conspiracy! Just another way for those damn Brits to lord their supposed superiority over the rest of us by refusing to share the goodies. :P

(and yes, I'm being facetious)

I wonder if those IP masking things would work...

Alipeeps
January 2nd, 2008, 07:50 AM
You really wanna know?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/Alipeeps/TorchwoodHome.jpg

:D

Alipeeps
January 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Bwah! I couldn't resist... I had to click on the Jobs link and see what it said...

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f260/Alipeeps/TorchwoodJobs.jpg

:D

CassandraSGA
January 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Isn't it just cos it's a BBC thing? I was on BBC news for Children in need (part of a very large crowd!!!) which was shown on the BBC www, but my friends out of the country couldn't log on to see the footage. I think it's a TV licence thing. We don't have to show our Brit superiority like this. We just take it for granted that we're the best and that everyone knows that already. (and yes, I'm being facetious too)

Alipeeps
January 2nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Isn't it just cos it's a BBC thing? I was on BBC news for Children in need (part of a very large crowd!!!) which was shown on the BBC www, but my friends out of the country couldn't log on to see the footage. I think it's a TV licence thing. We don't have to show our Brit superiority like this. We just take it for granted that we're the best and that everyone knows that already. (and yes, I'm being facetious too)

I think the reason you can't download or watch episodes etc online outside of the UK is for reasons to do with the licence - as obviously those outside of the UK don't pay the licence fee which supports the BBC and allows such programmes to be made - however, it seems silly not to be able to access the website at all from outside of the UK. I mean, I can read e.g. SciFi's official websites on SGA or shows like the Dresden files but can't watch episodes online, which US folks have the option to do. But I can access and enjoy the rest of the website...

ShadowMaat
January 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I'm very curious about that jobs link, because if they suddenly start recruiting I'm gonna have to find a way to join, even if I'm a Damn Yank. :P

Also, I can understand not being able to watch the eps online (or at least I've come to expect it), but the entire site is inaccessible to non-Brits. No news, no team info, no wallpapaers, no jobs, nothing. Heck, I can't even get that home page background pic to load. I've found a few loopholes, but they're a bit restrictive in what they'll allow me to bypass, so it's a good thing I can see the trailers elsewhere and don't want any wallpapers. And yeah, it IS a bit silly. :P

Alipeeps
January 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm very curious about that jobs link, because if they suddenly start recruiting I'm gonna have to find a way to join, even if I'm a Damn Yank. :P

Also, I can understand not being able to watch the eps online (or at least I've come to expect it), but the entire site is inaccessible to non-Brits. No news, no team info, no wallpapaers, no jobs, nothing. Heck, I can't even get that home page background pic to load. I've found a few loopholes, but they're a bit restrictive in what they'll allow me to bypass, so it's a good thing I can see the trailers elsewhere and don't want any wallpapers. And yeah, it IS a bit silly. :P

I'm thinking the jobs thing, particularly with the "we may be recruiting in January" thing (and Season 2 starting in January) will turn out to be some kind of fan membership/fan advertising/promote the show type campaigny thingy rather like MGM tried to do with Stargate this season?

The Signal
January 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
To be fair, the website is funded by the license fee as well IIRC, and opening up the website to anyone wordwide would certainly bump up the maintenance costs, cutting into the funds which we brits are supplying.

Alipeeps
January 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
To be fair, the website is funded by the license fee as well IIRC, and opening up the website to anyone wordwide would certainly bump up the maintenance costs, cutting into the funds which we brits are supplying.

True. I guess I can see the reasoning there... although, conversely, surely the Beeb makes money selling the show to other countries? (And thus allowing viewers from other countries to see the show website would be beneficial from a marketing perspective? Or would they rather let e.g. SciFi Channel (is that who airs Doctor Who stuff in the US?) set up their own Torchwood/Doctor Who web pages for their viewers?) Mind you, is Torchwood even sold outside the UK yet? Anyone?

It's easy to forget sometimes that the Beeb's situation is somewhat unique compared to other networks and the funding issue can have some odd consequences.

The Signal
January 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
It depends on how much the BBC makes from selling the shows abroad (yes, by the way, Torchwood has been sold). Without knowing the details of the contract with various overseas networks (Sci-fi in the US for example), it's a lot of speculation, but seeing as those networks have adverts on their sites, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to do things this way, because access to the UK sites would reduce traffic, and as a result, income from advertising, for the other networks.

magickalmama
January 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?

Col.Foley
January 2nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
In response to an earlier question. Sci-Fi has not aired Torchwood yet, although BBCA has apparently done it, or is going to.

ShadowMaat
January 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?

Because it's Torchwood; separate from the government, outside the police, beyond the UN, etc. :P

As for the recruitment thing, I sincerely doubt that BBC is as moronic as MGM when it comes to promotion scams. Signing up for some kind of fan club, maybe, but I doubt that there'll be legions of "Woodies" running around spamming the bloody hell out of Torchwood sites reminding people to watch. :rolleyes: At least, I devoutly hope that isn't going to happen. But I wouldn't mind the fan clubby angle. Or something like the wild goose chase NBC has for Heroes fans, although on that score I'll probably be SOL since I can't find a loophole for my mobile. ;)

magickalmama
January 2nd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Because it's Torchwood; separate from the government, outside the police, beyond the UN, etc. :P

Damn, I forgot about that! And it must be because it's such a super secret organization.

LaCroix
January 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
^^
And of course, outsiders will be retconned if they found out. ;)

ShadowMaat
January 2nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
^^
And of course, outsiders will be retconned if they found out. ;)

Maybe that explains the nagging sense I've forgotten something... :P

Dusk
January 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Funding, facetiousness, or franchise, I'm annoyed that they have to alienate the rest of the world.

Also, for those wondering, I believe it has just been confirmed that S2 will air on BBC2 Jan 16.

Alipeeps
January 3rd, 2008, 03:38 AM
Maybe that explains the nagging sense I've forgotten something... :P

Nah. That's just the senility. :D

*ducks the heron blow*

Willow'sCat
January 4th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?My question excately.

Oh well at least I can still watch the show. :P:D

ecchi
January 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
The reason is because we in the UK pay the equivalent of about $300 per year each to access the BBC services (TV, radio, and website), Not all that goes on the website obviously, but some does. If you want to access it, send money.

Although the BBC is experimenting with putting out a commercial website for the rest of the world. I think it is being tested in some European countries, if it is successful and they spread it out worldwide, and you will be able to access the site if you watch a pile of adverts first.

magickalmama
January 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The reason is because we in the UK pay the equivalent of about $300 per year each to access the BBC services (TV, radio, and website), Not all that goes on the website obviously, but some does. If you want to access it, send money.

Although the BBC is experimenting with putting out a commercial website for the rest of the world. I think it is being tested in some European countries, if it is successful and they spread it out worldwide, and you will be able to access the site if you watch a pile of adverts first.

Although that still doesn't explain why the Torchwood website is blocked and the Doctor Who one isn't. If it all was completely blocked, that would make sense, but it's not.

Julez
January 8th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Yes, it has to do with rights reasons if you are outside the UK. That is the message I got when I clicked on the links at the tope of the web page.

ShadowMaat
January 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
*headdesk* Yes, obviously, but that doesn't explain why Torchwood is blocked and not, for a random example, Doctor Who. Rights, yes, experimental software, yes, but why Torchwood?? It's slick and popular, true, but I should think DW was the much bigger fish to prevent from frying. If it's a gods-given right (invested by the holy power of money) and a born-to privilege to be granted access to the almighty BBC's website, why not shut down the entire site from prying foreign eyes? And if it's just a matter of testing software before a bigger implementation, why choose Torchwood when Doctor Who has much more stuff to offer? Hell, the whole Adventure Calendar thing should have been blocked off from the rest of the world, especially since damn dirty foreigners should have no interest in an episode that won't be airing in their respective countries for quite a while (although I'm not sure what the Aussie airing schedule is like).

I mean, Torchwood, all that's being blocked right now are, what? Pictures and blurbs and a couple of trailers? DW has had audio and video snippets, pictures, sounds, games, and probably other things I'm forgetting. The comic maker is blocked, but everything else seems to be more or less wide open.

Whatever. I'm still willing to accept that it's because Torchwood is about sooper seekrit stuff and thus making its companion site sooper seekrit to non-Brits is an example of someone's bizarre sense of humor. :D The scenario amuses me and I don't really care if it has no basis in reality because it still works for me. ;)

Maybe Torchwood is seen as more of a rising star than Doctor Who. Or maybe that upcoming recruitment thing is going to be some major mega development that'll blow the DW site out of the cyberwaters. Or maybe some BBC exec had a board set up and the dart just happened to land on Torchwood. :P

Oh and ecchi, I seriously doubt that if folks started sending money to the BBC they'd be granted magical access to the site.

smurf
January 8th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Has anyone tried email-ing the BBC website?
If most of Doctor Who is open, it could be that someone has mistakenly tagged the entire Torchwood folder rather than just the relevant pages.

Admittedly it's not much of a conspiracy theory. :D

LaCroix
January 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Here's the most obvious question. Can one view episodes from the site itself?

ecchi
January 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Although that still doesn't explain why the Torchwood website is blocked and the Doctor Who one isn't. If it all was completely blocked, that would make sense, but it's not.
I thought the whole BBC site was blocked, we are told over here that it is!

Has anyone tried email-ing the BBC website?
If most of Doctor Who is open, it could be that someone has mistakenly tagged the entire Torchwood folder rather than just the relevant pages
I would advise against it. Since the BBC site is supposed to be entirely unavailable outside the UK (except in the "advertising test area") you may find that bringing it to their attention will simply get the Dr Who site blocked too.

Oh and ecchi, I seriously doubt that if folks started sending money to the BBC they'd be granted magical access to the site.
Yes, I was joking when I said "send money"!!!!!

it has to do with rights reasons if you are outside the UK.
But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue? And magickalmama said that the DR Who site is accessible, which is carried by The Sci-Fi Channel, so it would make more sense the other way round (if the Dr Who site was blocked and the Torchwood site was accessible).

ShadowMaat
January 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hell, no! And I think only the most wistful among us would expect that. ;) But I don't think the grievances are about not watching eps (which is pretty much expected) but not being able to view any content, no matter how benign.

But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue?
It's still a first air rights thing, I think, and they probably want Americans to visit the BBCA site for the US side of things. Not sure if that's true or if it makes any sense, but that's all I can come up with. *shrug*

I'd be curious to know how much of SCIFI's site is blocked to non-Americans. I think general comments so far have indicated that everything is available except for ep viewing. Which is probably another reason some folks don't understand the BBC's heavy-handed blockage of the Torchwood site. Even disregarding the fact that it's only the TW site that's blocked, the very fact that it's blocked when other countries aren't as restrictive is raising questions. Or at least I know I'm curious. Is it just a money issue or what?

Trek_Girl42
January 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I absolutely love the BBC Doctor Who site- it's easily one of, if not the best "official" site for a show out there. The BBC does a GREAT job with it! And I'm sure we foreigners are all very grateful for the access- I was shocked to find that I could watch all of the Adventure videos on there!

*cough* unlike, say.....CBC's Doctor Who site which decent enough, but has now completely disappeared.

So it's too bad we don't get to see the Torchwood one. :( I find the BBC America one rather underwhelming, and CBC doesn't even have one.

smurf
January 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I thought the whole BBC site was blocked, we are told over here that it is!

I would advise against it. Since the BBC site is supposed to be entirely unavailable outside the UK (except in the "advertising test area") you may find that bringing it to their attention will simply get the Dr Who site blocked too.
It's not supposed to be unavailable - the first line of the T&C talks about provision of the site both in the UK and internationally.
The BBC website is set up in much the same way as, say, the NBC website - certain rights protected material will be unavailable.

But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue? And magickalmama said that the DR Who site is accessible, which is carried by The Sci-Fi Channel, so it would make more sense the other way round (if the Dr Who site was blocked and the Torchwood site was accessible).
It's worth pointing out that BBC America is a separate entity from the BBC itself - it is run by the commercial arm of the BBC. Shows on BBC America are bought in the same way as Sci Fi would buy them.

Not anymore. There's a new service called iPlayer which allows viewing of previously broadcast shows.

ShadowMaat
January 9th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Want to add a new level of wacky to the mystery? On a whim I tried checking out the Torchwood site on my mobile: full access. Well, as full as can be expected, anyway. I don't have a vid-capable phone, but I assume the teasers would have been unavailable. The rest of the site was, though. Go figure...

docballen
January 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I think I read somewhere that the Torchwood site is being "worked on" --possibly in anticipation of S2. Could that explain all the trouble people are having getting on the site???

(I wish I could quote where I read that. Sigh.)

ShadowMaat
January 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
If it was being worked on I should think it'd be unavailable to EVERYONE, even those inside the UK. And it still doesn't explain why, as an American, I can't access the site on my computer but I can on my phone. That's just weird. ;)

Angela V
January 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I absolutely love the BBC Doctor Who site- it's easily one of, if not the best "official" site for a show out there. The BBC does a GREAT job with it! And I'm sure we foreigners are all very grateful for the access- I was shocked to find that I could watch all of the Adventure videos on there!

*cough* unlike, say.....CBC's Doctor Who site which decent enough, but has now completely disappeared.

So it's too bad we don't get to see the Torchwood one. :( I find the BBC America one rather underwhelming, and CBC doesn't even have one.

I noticed that too about CBC! I went looking for their Doctor Who site and it's gone. Maybe it'll be active again with series 4?
For kicks i googled the BBC Torchwood site. I could see the cast picture. Then I unblocked the scripts with Firefox. The cast picture disappeared. I blocked the scripts and the picture came back :jack_new15: I couldn't access anything no matter what I did though.

Willow'sCat
January 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
This is so unfair! :(

Can someone get me the email address for BBC Cardiff? I want to complain. :p No really I want to complain to them. :cool:

ecchi
January 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
This is so unfair!Can someone get me the email address for BBC Cardiff? I want to complain. No really I want to complain to them.

BBC Wales have nothing to do with it (who I assume you mean, there is no such organisation as BBC Cardiff, but BBC Wales is in Cardiff). If you want to complain you need to complain to BBC Online, and the contact details are all over the website.

However I was NOT joking when I said "you may find that bringing it to their attention will simply get the Dr Who site blocked too". Remember, almost the entire adult population pay about the equivalent of US$300 a year for the service, and they have to show that we get value for this, and that we are not just subsidising the world (BBC America, for example, HAS to bring in a profit). The last thing they want is the licence payers asking "why are we paying for a free website for non-licence payer?" We are under the impression that you can not access ANY of the site, make a fuss and they may pull the lot!

smurf
January 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know who has been informing you that it is all unavailable outside the UK, or not designed to be available outside the UK, because this is absolutely not true.
I'm going to hazard a guess that they have sold the rights of Torchwood to someone who has requested some form of all media deal.

As to why Shadowmaat can access it via her phone. Possibly the connection via the phone doesn't call up an IP address, or a recognisable country specific one.

ETA: Wandering around the site I found this is quite cool - BBC Worldwide on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BBCWorldwide).
Don't get excited by the BBC (only) Youtube site and associated Torchwood S2 links, it's blocked as well. :rolleyes:

Willow'sCat
January 13th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don't know who has been informing you that it is all unavailable outside to UK, or not designed to be available outside the the UK, because this is absolutely not true.
I'm going to hazard a guess that they have sold the rights of Torchwood to someone who has requested some form of all media deal. Look all I know is last year before Australia's Channel 10 even had the rights to Torchwood, I mean way before you could not access many of the site's features from an ISP in Australia. That has not changed.:cool:

I am more then willing to blame Channel 10 for this, happy to but I have no proof of what you are saying, if you can come up with some let me know. ;)

smurf
January 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Look all I know is last year before Australia's Channel 10 even had the rights to Torchwood, I mean way before you could not access many of the site's features from an ISP in Australia. That has not changed.:cool:

I am more then willing to blame Channel 10 for this, happy to but I have no proof of what you are saying, if you can come up with some let me know. ;)
Sure. I'm just saying that a) it is not all unavailable, and not designed to be all unavailable, and b) content locked features are all likely due to some form of rights issues. Given that you can access the Doctor Who site (except I assume the video), and that the Torchwood site contains mainly an episode guide, character bios, plus a couple of preview and behind the scenes vids, either someone pressed the wrong button, or they've been asked to close it off.
Whether or not it was Australian TV doesn't matter. Seeing as it's easier to program if not from UK IP = not available, than it is to program if from X IP = unavailable.

Remember the site is also there to promote the show, so closing it off entirely would not generally be in the BBC's best interests.

ETA: Another thought: The actual content of the show might be an issue in itself. Some countries aren't very open and the BBC may decide it might be safer not to make it freely available as a form of self-protection.
Speculation obviously.

Nuallain
January 18th, 2008, 04:11 AM
AIUI, the reason some things (like DW) are at least partially unblocked but other things (like Torchwood) aren't is down to the fact that the BBC, themselves, don't particularly want to be blocking anything. It's the fact that jobsworth MPs keep making speeches in Parliament about what a disgrace it is ol Johnny Foreigner can get their hands on BBC content and the right wing of the media aren't far behind.

There was even one div in one paper who gave a big ranting editorial about the very fact that BBC shows are sold to the likes of Sci-Fi at all.

This means that the BBC are under a certain amount of pressure to be 'seen to be doing something' about it. Which is why, theoretically, nothing should be accessible from abroad but, in practice, they do a fairly uneven, half hearted job of blocking stuff.

Oh, and it turns out the 'recruitment' thing is an online game where new Torchwood members (ie you) are given one mission a week for thirteen weeks and which includes interaction with specially filmed scenes of the Torchwood team (the scenes decided, obviously, by your own game choices).

ShadowMaat
January 18th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Bother. Can't fake my way around that. Ah well. 'Twas a nice thought while it lasted. *sigh*

Willow'sCat
January 18th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I would say the nonuk part of the url is why we can't get in. Dam it normally I am happy to be nonuk :D but not now! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/content/pages/nonuk.shtml (http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/sites/content/pages/nonuk.shtml)

Honestly why don't they just have a big sign saying foreigners not welcome go home! :( You cannot access anything on the site!

ecchi
January 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Honestly why don't they just have a big sign saying foreigners not welcome go home! :( You cannot access anything on the site!
A) As I said before, we each pay about the equivalent of $300 per year to run the BBC (including this site). You think it is fair that you should be able freeload bandwidth, and we have to pay for it?
B) I guess that makes up for the American sites we cannot access because we are not US citizens.
C) But it does not make up for the practically racist way eBay and iTunes run their sites (actually, you can probably drop the word "practically" from that sentence).

ShadowMaat
January 19th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Oh yes? Pray, tell us exactly which American sites block foreigners ENTIRELY from accessing ANYTHING, right down to the background image. And which of those sites is so inconsistent that they only full-block PART of their site while allowing "normal" access (vids excluded) to international webbies?

You can repeat it all you want, ecchi, but the point still remains: Why is Torchwood the ONLY BBC site that is completely and utterly blocked to nonuks? What's so special about Torchwood that it rates such a high level of blockage? And for all the elitist "Well, we PAY for the privilege" yawp you keep throwing at us, I remain unconvinced. If it were true, I should think that EVERY subsite of the BBC would be banned to nonuks, not just one. And as a way of "testing" the supposed new technology of region-blocking, I don't buy TW as the viable candidate for guinea pig.

Do I have a more likely alternative? No, other than it maybe being a glitch. But I'd believe that it's because Torchwood is a top secret organization before I'd believe that it's a "paid privilege" thing.

ecchi
January 19th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Oh yes?..........before I'd believe that it's a "paid privilege" thing.
Sorry, you are saying that you don't believe we have to pay for the BBC???? Who do you think pays for it? The nice TV fairies???? Tell you what, next holiday you take abroad, take it to England, listen to all the moaning and whining that goes on about having to pay for the licence. Read a few court cases where people are taken to court and prosecuted for not paying it, etc..

And as to not believing that some US sites are totally blocked to non US citizens, go hire one of these companies who give you foreign IPs, them see how many are (usually they are sites that survive selling advertising to companies that trade in the US, but occasionally you come across things like movie sites that were set up to push a film that has not been released in the UK, that is comparable to the BBC site). Better still, get a European IP and pay the extra levy iTunes charge people simply because they are European. Or look at the way Americans can sell on all parts of all other countries eBay sites, but non Americans are banned from even looking at some parts of the eBay American site! You don't even need a non-American IP for that, just go read their rules on their various sites!!!!

In short, stop being a stereotypical American. I have enough problems defending Americans from my many American hating friends without people like you posting "I know nothing about life abroad, but I am American, so I'll make up what I like about foreigners and insist it is true" type posts.

the_dark_light
February 4th, 2008, 12:37 PM
To any people outside the UK who cannot view the site you're probably not missing much. Then again my view of Torchwood is rather subjective (I stopped watching it after about 3 episodes, I was not impressed. But hey, if you like it I won't stop you watching it (Or will I? :prioranime07:))

Madeleine
February 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Now, if anyone who *has* perused the site wants to tell us whether it's worth perusing or not, it'll be a post worth actually paying attention to.

smurf
February 5th, 2008, 04:11 AM
If anyone absolutely must know what is on the website you can switch it to "text only" mode.
It's run through an automated text html generator so it's not perfect link wise - probably because the site is a bit Flash happy. :rolleyes:

mokievu
February 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry, you are saying that you don't believe we have to pay for the BBC???? Who do you think pays for it? The nice TV fairies???? Tell you what, next holiday you take abroad, take it to England, listen to all the moaning and whining that goes on about having to pay for the licence. Read a few court cases where people are taken to court and prosecuted for not paying it, etc..

And as to not believing that some US sites are totally blocked to non US citizens, go hire one of these companies who give you foreign IPs, them see how many are (usually they are sites that survive selling advertising to companies that trade in the US, but occasionally you come across things like movie sites that were set up to push a film that has not been released in the UK, that is comparable to the BBC site). Better still, get a European IP and pay the extra levy iTunes charge people simply because they are European. Or look at the way Americans can sell on all parts of all other countries eBay sites, but non Americans are banned from even looking at some parts of the eBay American site! You don't even need a non-American IP for that, just go read their rules on their various sites!!!!

In short, stop being a stereotypical American. I have enough problems defending Americans from my many American hating friends without people like you posting "I know nothing about life abroad, but I am American, so I'll make up what I like about foreigners and insist it is true" type posts.

I really hope all the conversations are not like this one (I am new). My mum is from the UK and my dad is american and I was raised in that states. I love both countries equally (mum never gave up her british citizenship) and cannot understand why there is so much animosity between people. I mean we all eat, crap and watch Torchwood the same way....:P

As for the page being blocked....what is actually there? Because loads of our official sites are sh**e here and not worth being upset over not being able to see...believe me. The same may be true for Torchwood...though I love the series! :)

ShadowMaat
February 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I really hope all the conversations are not like this one (I am new).
Me too. But if people persist in being combative about something, there's always the Ignore feature- if you can't see the posts of the person trying to bait you then there's no danger of falling for their attempts. Peace will continue to reign in the thread: you'll be happy, the people around you will be happy, the mods will be happy that they don't have to interfere and hopefully the combative individual will go away.

My mum is from the UK and my dad is american and I was raised in that states. I love both countries equally (mum never gave up her british citizenship) and cannot understand why there is so much animosity between people. I mean we all eat, crap and watch Torchwood the same way....:P
You'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you? But that's people for you- whatever their nationality. ;)

As for the page being blocked....what is actually there? Because loads of our official sites are sh**e here and not worth being upset over not being able to see...believe me. The same may be true for Torchwood...though I love the series! :)
I think there are some videos (which Americans wouldn't be able to see, anyway) and someone earlier mentioned some kind of game thingy- which would probably also be blocked, but just being able to see the PICTURES would be nice. And get any sounds that might be available. It's useless, junky stuff, but I like it. I can access the pics on my phone, at least, so I was able to snag a pic of Ianto and another of Jack and John. But it'd be nice to be able to read the character bios and whatnot, too. Again, just junky filler stuff, but sometimes it's interesting. I do think last year's Torchwood site was more interesting (and fully accessible to non-UK'ers), but it could be that this year's site will be adding better stuff as the season progresses. Or not. *shrug* I just know that a snippet from the old site seemed to have some relevancy to the most recent ep and it's tiny things like that which, IMO, add to the Torchwood-watching experience and I'm sorry to be missing out on it just because the BBC has randomly decided to block one (and as far as I know ONLY one) of its dozens of subsites for no apparent reason. If it's because of exclusive content, fine, but why is EVERYTHING blocked, right down to the background image? Is TW so violently proprietary that even a group photo violates copyright laws? Is it because of a deal with BBCA? Then how come DW isn't as violently blocked when BBCA airs it, too? And I refuse to accept that it's all about the money the good folk of the UK pay for the privilege of getting BBC content because that would mean every last scrap on every single pixel of the BBC's many subsites would be blocked, not just one random show- and not even their biggest, most hypiest cult classic blockbuster show. It'd be like ABC allowing non-US fans to view the normal level of international access (barring vids and whatnot) for all their various shows- including Lost- but having a complete and total blackout on, say, Desperate Housewives. What would be the point? Why allow folks to download Lost wallpapers, read up on the bios of the folks in Boston Legal and catch up on the latest Grey's Anatomy gab, but then refuse to let folks see one pixel of data on Desperate Housewives?

Whatever. You're right- at least there's still the show itself to watch and love... but inconsistencies bother me. I like to know the why of things. *shrug* But hey, I'll survive. ;)

~Benjamin~
February 6th, 2008, 03:19 AM
The website is nothing special, i definitly prefer the Doctor Who to the Torchwood, and dont get me wrong i love Torchwood just as much as doctor who, but to be honest your not missing out on much, ok the games are fun and there some cool pictures and a bit of interesting background info (which im pretty sure is on wiki) but apart from that , meh

i supose its a privilige for us, British Public.

Willow'sCat
February 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
If anyone absolutely must know what is on the website you can switch it to "text only" mode.
I have used the text only but it still blocks stuff. ;)

smurf
February 12th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I have used the text only but it still blocks stuff. ;)
Fully blocked, or does it just go nowhere?
I know most of the videos don't work, and some of the links (especially the actor pages, and the "next page") don't work properly, but it would be quite useful to know for future reference. :)
BTW, I found that although the direct link doesn't work (eg. the Downloads page), if it is linked from within the text of another page (eg. episode information) sometimes it does.

Mind you, the site isn't all that worthwhile without the video.