X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My W.I.P Stargate & SGC

Hi all. I'm new. Be gentle!

Still, i thought for a first post I coudl get some feedback on my work. Please tell me what you all think of the below image I created in 3ds max.
    As can be seen it is incomplete, and only the gate itself is textured.
    BTW - im only 17 - so my modelling is a litlle somewhat to be desired!

O'Neill-
    "How long have you been waiting there?"

"You said half-an-hour, an hour ago"
    "General Hammond's waiting"
    "S'cuse me..."
    "The fate of the world is hanging in the balance and you've been sitting in your truck finishing this?"...
    "I believe it was double or nothing"...
    "OK 23-across, the atomic weight of Boron - The answer is TEN"...
    "Yes?"...
    "You wrote the word FAT"

Wow that's awesome! The ramp and the even horizon both look really good.

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

VERY nice work!
      O'Neill: "Well, we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it."
      Bra'tac: "No, the bridge is too well guarded."

Comment

Very impressive.

Comment

Good use of textures ... can't wait to see the final work.

Comment

Looks nice, but any chance of resizing it so it doesn't throw off the entire thread? Please?

Are you doing JUST the gate or are you gonna add the gun turrets and whatnot, too? Glyphs are looking good so far. Ditto comments on the ramp and event horizon. I'd say it's too blue, but I've come to realize the EH is a lot bluer than I thought... *shrug* Good job.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              Looks nice, but any chance of resizing it so it doesn't throw off the entire thread? Please?
              It is too large for it doesn't fit the screen. Shadow was right about it.

Very good model, otherwise.

Comment

I know you're all tired of it by now - but I have just completed my stargate iris & its animation!..Please tell me what you think of it. (Requires DivX)

http://support.realityfactory.ca/cgi...t=3105;p=36323

O'Neill-

"S'cuse me..."
                "The fate of the world is hanging in the balance and you've been sitting in your truck finishing this?"...
                "Yes?"...
                "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

Iris animation version 2 - you may notice that the last version had crossing polys in the top left. Corrected that now and added an Event Horizon!....Please tell me what you think!

http://support.realityfactory.ca/cgi...t=3105;p=36356

O'Neill-

"S'cuse me..."
                  "Yes?"...
                  "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

looking good.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Thanks.

Anyone else!?

O'Neill-

"S'cuse me..."
                      "Yes?"...
                      "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

Great.

Where did you get the measures from? I worked on a similar project in OpenGL 1.5 years ago (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~krul..._sg_fertig.jpg and http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~krul/OGL/ogl_sg_22.jpg, but it doesn't look as cool as yours), and it took me ages to get good screen shots for proportion from the show.

And does your gate "do" something, like locking the chevrons, spin, engage a wormhole... ?
                        No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Thanks for you kind comments. Keep in mind my project is quite recent. A number of years ago I'm sure yours was jsut as impressive, if not more because you have an activating wormhole!

To answer your question - yes, my gate does rotate round, lock the chevrons in and have an iris animation. The only thing (regretably) that it doesnt do is the "kawoosh" of the wormhole. God knows ive tried, but all to no avail! So I eventually gave up!

This however is quite an old picture. For more recent updates on my stargate work, visit my gallery at -

user4574.deviantart.com/gallery

for the "cool" stuff!

Keep me apprised though of your comments. If you would like to see any of the animations I have rendered out, including an antive Event Horizon, email me!

O'Neill-

"S'cuse me..."
                          "Yes?"...
                          "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

When I saw the first post I was going to give crit, but that was today. Having seen your most recent images I must say you have improved.

Good model, good textures to the Stargate. Only thing is that it isn't photo realistic. Looks CG, but is good CG. Very difficult to get photo realism so not gonna take away points for not being it.

A lot of the textures look smooth. If you look really closely at the real Stargate you will see it isn't smooth. Very rarely is something smooth. From a distance it looks smooth, but look at the gate closely and you will see the tiny imperfections on it, scratches, bumps, different shades of grey on the gate. Even the jewel in the chevron is quite scratchy looking. Add these small details in high res-close ups and on a wideshot it will look allthe more impressive. I'm not a 3D artist. All I can do is offer an opinion of what I see as not being there, which should be there.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                            from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Thanks.

Its ok, I could do with the help actually! Im very new to texturing. I totally agree with you. Thing is though, I rarely get enough time nowadays to work on any 3D modeling whatsoever because of college, especially now with my exams happening. I will howeer continue to strive an plough forward with teahing myself, and hopefully when I get a free weekend or something, ill be able to incorporate all the little tweaks I need to.

Thanks for you kind comments though. Much appreciated !

O'Neill-

"S'cuse me..."
                              "Yes?"...
                              "You wrote the word FAT"

Comment

Working...
                              X